NJ Strong Weather Forum

Join the forum, it's quick and easy

NJ Strong Weather Forum
NJ Strong Weather Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

OT: "Off-Topic Island"

+14
Grselig
keliza52
billg315
Taffy
Math23x7
algae888
sroc4
SNOW MAN
Quietace
Dunnzoo
Frank_Wx
CPcantmeasuresnow
docstox12
amugs
18 posters

Page 12 of 41 Previous  1 ... 7 ... 11, 12, 13 ... 26 ... 41  Next

Go down

OT: "Off-Topic Island" - Page 12 Empty Re: OT: "Off-Topic Island"

Post by CPcantmeasuresnow Sun Jan 18, 2015 1:50 pm

Laughing

Doc I grabbed my phone this morning before getting out of bed and of course this was the first post I came to. I started laughing and my wife turns to me and says not the weather forum again.

Tough times on the Mainland today. Emperor Frank hasn't thrown in the towel yet but I can tell even he's losing patience with this winter. Me I'm staying on OTI until I see my lawn covered in snow. Of course the way things are trending that may not happen until November 2015.

Loved the superman references. I use to rush home from school to watch those black and whites on channel 11. What a different world that was.

CPcantmeasuresnow
Wx Statistician Guru
Wx Statistician Guru

Back to top Go down

Post by docstox12 Sun Jan 18, 2015 2:45 pm

Yeah, CP, thank God for that Hallmark Thanksgiving in the HV with that 9 inches.Sadly, that could be it.Emperor Frank trying to dig one out of the dirt for us and I truly hope for all of us it pans out.

Knew you would pick up on the Superman intro Re.Frank.We come from a different planet, friend, those absolutely wonderful WPIX days after school, Superman, the Stooges, Bud and Lou, Norton and Ralph.Don't think a week goes by I don't give thanks to have lived and enjoyed them.

Today's would be the kind of storm the snow haters when I was a kid would say to rub it in...."and just think if this is all snow how much we would have got!"......"BANG,ZOOM......."

docstox12
Wx Statistician Guru
Wx Statistician Guru

Back to top Go down

Post by CPcantmeasuresnow Wed Jan 21, 2015 1:51 pm

Wake up all residents of OTI, plus visitors on Visa and illegal immigrants.

There are stirrings on the mainland of a MECS possible. If this verifies, Queen Star shall be Queen for life.

The Queen of the North!!
The Queen of the North!!
The Queen of the North!!

CPcantmeasuresnow
CPcantmeasuresnow
Wx Statistician Guru
Wx Statistician Guru

Back to top Go down

Post by docstox12 Wed Jan 21, 2015 3:46 pm

ALL HAIL THE QUEEN if MECS pans out.If not.....

TAR AND FEATHER THE QUEEN!!!!!
docstox12
docstox12
Wx Statistician Guru
Wx Statistician Guru

Back to top Go down

Post by CPcantmeasuresnow Wed Jan 21, 2015 4:08 pm

docstox12 wrote:ALL HAIL THE QUEEN if MECS pans out.If not.....

TAR AND FEATHER THE QUEEN!!!!!

Hmmm, The Queen tarred and feathered?

I may root against the storm.
CPcantmeasuresnow
CPcantmeasuresnow
Wx Statistician Guru
Wx Statistician Guru

Back to top Go down

Post by CPcantmeasuresnow Wed Jan 21, 2015 11:03 pm

Ominous signs for Saturdays storm or possibly non storm.

Doc please place the Queen in solitary just in case. Mugs prepare the dark chocolate and feathers for her tar and feathering, again just in case.

SnowMan come out of hiding or we may revoke your citizenship.

You have until January 31st to show yourself or you're done on OTI. Go try it on the Mainland for a couple of days, they'll eat you up alive.
CPcantmeasuresnow
CPcantmeasuresnow
Wx Statistician Guru
Wx Statistician Guru

Back to top Go down

Post by docstox12 Thu Jan 22, 2015 2:25 am

I've isolated myself to OTI for the duration of the "Model Madness" on the Mainland.

I have placed the Queen on temporary solitary as requested for her waffling on this Saturday snowstorm.The citizens of OTI demand clarity and conviction in these matters and that has not been forthcoming from the Queen.We have heard snow to mix to rain to snow to OTS too many times here!

SnowMan's disappearance is baffling and troubling but administrative duties of OTI must go on and I am putting his salary for his work as secretary in escrow.A one month disappearance should be enough to formally strip SnowMan of OTI citizenship, him being a founding member.
docstox12
docstox12
Wx Statistician Guru
Wx Statistician Guru

Back to top Go down

Post by docstox12 Thu Jan 22, 2015 5:37 am

Well, CP, the Queen is trying her best but at this point, OTI is on the fringes of this sharp cutoff storm and we get maybe 2 to 4 inches which is better than "coating to an inch". I swear, if I hear Lee Goldberg say "coating to an inch" one more time, I'll throw my shoe through the tv set.At least it stays all snow up here while the areas getting more qpf turn to slop.

I'll have to discuss with the Queen this terrible southern and eastern biases of storms the last 5 years MUST END!!!!!!!!!!! Or else we will tar her with Limberger cheese and feathers!!!!!
docstox12
docstox12
Wx Statistician Guru
Wx Statistician Guru

Back to top Go down

Post by CPcantmeasuresnow Thu Jan 22, 2015 6:41 am

So we may see a 975mb low pass over or slightly west of the BM and we may see a quarter inch of precip? I swear Doc that will be a first for me in my career of weather watching.

If we end up with less than 3 inches of snow from this storm the Queen goes on double secret probation until further notice. I'm also considering putting before Parliament several bills to ban certain words and phrases on OTI. Why not just start with "coating to an inch". Also the word NAM and sharp cutoff should also be banned.

I don't usually like limiting free-speech, but a person can only take so much. After much posting yesterday I believe today I'm going to take a break from the Mainland. If this storm does not pan out I even may consider dropping my dual citizenship and just remain on OTI for the rest of the winter.

The Limburger cheese may be a bit harsh Doc. Since this will be her first offense possibly whipped cream and feathers may be more appropriate.

Why the Mainlanders don't listen to me and just rid the forum of the 2/17/14 snow killer still baffles me. I tried to bring real solutions and the Mainlanders laugh me off like the class clown. You can't say I haven't tried.

Doc I just looked outside and saw we received another coating to an inch last night, more towards the coating than the inch. Let's add 0.2 inches to our totals and call it a day. I also wanted to use the phrase coating to an inch as much as possible before my bill goes before Parliament.  I have to check out the NAM in a couple of hours and I'm hoping there's no sharp cutoff, then I'm done with the models for this weekend, except of course dealing with our model the Queen.

Where the hell is Mugsy through all of this? Sometimes I question where his true allegiance lies.
CPcantmeasuresnow
CPcantmeasuresnow
Wx Statistician Guru
Wx Statistician Guru

Back to top Go down

Post by docstox12 Thu Jan 22, 2015 7:33 am

Truly amazing that a low passing SLIGHTLY WEST of the BM and we are dry as a bone up here.It's voodoo weather I say.

Agree on those foul weather terms which do nothing but stir agitation and anxiety and anger.They will be stricken from the OTI dictionary.

The Mainlanders will not listen to reason on your proposal to extirpate the 2/16/2014 snow killer.All I hear over there is spin and doubletalk which leads me to believe the higher ups are protecting someone.I have imposed self exile on myself to OTI in order to free myself of the model mahem and madness that goes with it.

Yes, sadly, we bump up .2 of an inch.

Mugsy may have left OTI but at least he left his retinue of honeys behind including the Queen.Remember, as a result,our visitor visa revenue is off the charts!
docstox12
docstox12
Wx Statistician Guru
Wx Statistician Guru

Back to top Go down

Post by docstox12 Thu Jan 22, 2015 2:10 pm

Phew, things getting crazy on the mainland threads,very likely due to frustration with this winter's snow production.Oh, there is a nice coconut tree I will sit under and relax and just think of all the great snowstorms of the last 54 years I have seen and also thinking how lucky the youngsters under 45 are who are going to see snowstorms for the next 45 years or more! Hey, winter ain't over until it's over....March 30 or so 1970, 12 inches.....April 2 or 3 1982 12 inch blizzrad........Just sayin' guys and gals!
docstox12
docstox12
Wx Statistician Guru
Wx Statistician Guru

Back to top Go down

Post by CPcantmeasuresnow Thu Jan 22, 2015 8:18 pm

I need a mental break from this winter and the mainland for at least several days, and will only be on OTI until further notice.

A few things about those late season storms Doc. The March 30, 1970 blizzard our car got stuck in the snow on the way to church, if you remember it was Easter Sunday. I believe we had about 15 inches in Rockland County where I grew up. As we walked through the snow back home, my father looked back at me and yelled, this is what we get with your lousy snow. I was 9 at the time.

The Aprl blizzard in 1982 was actually on April 6th. 9.6 inches in NYC, probably 12 inches but lets not go there now, and 18 where I was in Orange County. I had tickets for the Yankees home opener that day and the season was canceled 5 days till they could clear out Yankee Stadium.

Many many other good snows in mid March, through mid April just in our lifetime, especially where you now reside in the HV.

March 20, 1958 11.8 inches in NYC, well over a foot in suburbs.
March 22, 1967 9.0 inches in NYC over a foot in nearby suburbs.
March 19, 1992 6.2 inches in NYC and more in suburbs.
March 13, 1993 10.6 inches in NYC and over 20 inches in HV - Superstorm 1993.
April 3, 2003 4-8 inches in NYC, again opening day at Yankee stadium only delayed one day this time.The next day the game was played with a game time temperature 0f 33 and a snow covered Bronx in the background. Charlie Steiners opening line on the radio. "Welcome everyone to Yankee baseball. It's a beautiful day for  baseball today" short pause, "somewhere in the country but certainly not here".

I'm going to the beach for a midnight swim, ummm budget meeting with the Queen.
CPcantmeasuresnow
CPcantmeasuresnow
Wx Statistician Guru
Wx Statistician Guru

Back to top Go down

Post by docstox12 Thu Jan 22, 2015 8:37 pm

Good memories, old buddy!

I was driving around with my high school pals that March 1970 Blizzard and in Fort Lee, there must have been a foot.Yep, Easter Sunday.
Love what your Dad said.My Dad, too, was a snow hater.What a punch to the gut it must have been to him to have a snowaholic son,LOL!

April 6th Blizzard had to close my shop as it got very bad quickly.Everybody cancelled for the afternoon shift and I was glad to bail out and get home in my rear wheel drive 1977 Ford Granada.Must have been 4 or 5 inches on the ground when I bailed.Still remember the announcer on my NOAA weather cube radio saying..."we are going to experience something very rare today...an April Blizzard!"

There was one you missed in your list, a snowstorm in March 1960 of over 17 inches in Fort Lee.That, plus the incredible 1888 March Blizzard proves there is plenty of time for snow yet.

Enjoy that midnight swim with the Queen.I'll take Amber and June on a coconut and banana tour.

Later, my Good Man!!!
docstox12
docstox12
Wx Statistician Guru
Wx Statistician Guru

Back to top Go down

Post by CPcantmeasuresnow Thu Jan 22, 2015 8:43 pm

Your right Doc, I was just listing mid March to mid April snowstorms. That one was March 3-4, 1960 14.5 inches in Central Park so I wouldn't doubt you were over 17 inches in Ft. Lee, of course CPK may have been also.
CPcantmeasuresnow
CPcantmeasuresnow
Wx Statistician Guru
Wx Statistician Guru

Back to top Go down

Post by Math23x7 Thu Jan 22, 2015 8:50 pm

CPcantmeasuresnow wrote:I need a mental break from this winter and the mainland for at least several days, and will only be on OTI until further notice.

A few things about those late season storms Doc. The March 30, 1970 blizzard our car got stuck in the snow on the way to church, if you remember it was Easter Sunday. I believe we had about 15 inches in Rockland County where I grew up. As we walked through the snow back home, my father looked back at me and yelled, this is what we get with your lousy snow. I was 9 at the time.

The Aprl blizzard in 1982 was actually on April 6th. 9.6 inches in NYC, probably 12 inches but lets not go there now, and 18 where I was in Orange County. I had tickets for the Yankees home opener that day and the season was canceled 5 days till they could clear out Yankee Stadium.

Many many other good snows in mid March, through mid April just in our lifetime, especially where you now reside in the HV.

April 3, 2003 4-8 inches in NYC, again opening day at Yankee stadium only delayed one day this time.The next day the game was played with a game time temperature 0f 33 and a snow covered Bronx in the background. Charlie Steiners opening line on the radio. "Welcome everyone to Yankee baseball. It's a beautiful day for  baseball today" short pause, "somewhere in the country but certainly not here".

April 2003 was the 7th.

Math23x7
Wx Statistician Guru
Wx Statistician Guru

Back to top Go down

Post by docstox12 Thu Jan 22, 2015 8:56 pm

Math23X7, so glad you came to visit us on OTI with your amazing recall of storms long past.You are CP's right arm in our never ending statistical analysis.
docstox12
docstox12
Wx Statistician Guru
Wx Statistician Guru

Back to top Go down

Post by docstox12 Thu Jan 22, 2015 8:57 pm

CPcantmeasuresnow wrote:Your right Doc, I was just listing mid March to mid April snowstorms. That one was March 3-4, 1960 14.5 inches in Central Park so I wouldn't doubt you were over 17 inches in Ft. Lee, of course CPK may have been also.

OK, sorry, CP didn't realize your table was mid March on.You are right.

I'm a little tipsy with two Kentucky Teas tonight ( 1 shot of bourbon in a glass of water),LOL!
docstox12
docstox12
Wx Statistician Guru
Wx Statistician Guru

Back to top Go down

Post by Math23x7 Thu Jan 22, 2015 9:00 pm

docstox12 wrote:Math23X7, so glad you came to visit us on OTI with your amazing recall of storms long past.You are CP's right arm in our never ending statistical analysis.

April 9th, 2000 was another one I remember. I went outside and played in the snow which was great because it made up for the fact that I was too sick to go out during the January 25, 2000 snowstorm.

Math23x7
Wx Statistician Guru
Wx Statistician Guru

Back to top Go down

Post by docstox12 Thu Jan 22, 2015 9:05 pm

Great one ,Math!
docstox12
docstox12
Wx Statistician Guru
Wx Statistician Guru

Back to top Go down

Post by CPcantmeasuresnow Thu Jan 22, 2015 9:09 pm

Math23x7 wrote:
CPcantmeasuresnow wrote:I need a mental break from this winter and the mainland for at least several days, and will only be on OTI until further notice.

April 2003 was the 7th.

Thanks Math. April 7th wow there you go I was thinking the 3rd. And the high the next day didn't get out of the mid 30's. Was the weirdest opening Day with all the Bronx rooftops snow covered.

Math I'm no longer the Director of Immigration and Tourism on OTI, that happens to be Mugsy job now but since he's never around, as the former Director I am granting you an extended stay Visa here for the rest of the winter.

CPcantmeasuresnow
CPcantmeasuresnow
Wx Statistician Guru
Wx Statistician Guru

Back to top Go down

Post by docstox12 Thu Jan 22, 2015 9:16 pm

Parliament seconds that as Mugsy,Director of Immigration and Tourism in absentia cannot, for reasons we cannot fathom, issue that extended stay visa.As such, CP's bureaucratic power is still functioning and viable in this matter.I am waiving all extended stay visa costs as Math is such an exceptional immigrant who adds to our OTI Bureau of Statistical Snowstorm Memoribilia and Records.
docstox12
docstox12
Wx Statistician Guru
Wx Statistician Guru

Back to top Go down

Post by CPcantmeasuresnow Thu Jan 22, 2015 9:23 pm

docstox12 wrote:Parliament seconds that as  Mugsy,Director of Immigration and Tourism in absentia cannot, for reasons we cannot fathom, issue that extended stay visa.As such, CP's bureaucratic power is still functioning and viable in this matter.I am waiving all extended stay visa costs as Math is such an exceptional immigrant who adds to our OTI Bureau of Statistical Snowstorm Memoribilia and Records.

Unanimously passed.

Let all citizens give an OTI, three cheers for Math23x7

HIP HIP Hooray!!!
HIP HIP Hooray!!!
HIP HIP Hooray!!!

One restriction though, he may not visit or even look upon the Queen during his stay.
CPcantmeasuresnow
CPcantmeasuresnow
Wx Statistician Guru
Wx Statistician Guru

Back to top Go down

Post by docstox12 Thu Jan 22, 2015 9:32 pm

He'll be too busy working on his statistical analysis of OTI's Bureau of Snowfall and Snowstorm Records, which have fallen into a sorry state of disarray due to your dalliances with Queen Star, all completely understandable, of course!
docstox12
docstox12
Wx Statistician Guru
Wx Statistician Guru

Back to top Go down

Post by docstox12 Thu Jan 22, 2015 9:37 pm

CPcantmeasuresnow wrote:
Math23x7 wrote:

April 2003 was the 7th.

Thanks Math. April 7th wow there you go I was thinking the 3rd. And the high the next day didn't get out of the mid 30's. Was the weirdest opening Day with all the Bronx rooftops snow covered.

Math I'm no longer the Director of Immigration and Tourism on OTI, that happens to be Mugsy job now but since he's never around, as the former Director I am granting you an extended stay Visa here for the rest of the winter.

"Opening day in the Bronx with snow covered roofs!". Totally classic and amazing!
docstox12
docstox12
Wx Statistician Guru
Wx Statistician Guru

Back to top Go down

Post by Math23x7 Thu Jan 22, 2015 10:35 pm

CP I mentioned this at the meetup to those that attended. Even though I was five years old during the winter of 1995-96, I wasn't much of a weather enthusiast at the time. It was a thunderstorm in June 1998 that sparked (pun intended) my interest in weather. So the first winter I really payed attention to was the winter of 1998-99. Even though it was generally a mild winter (it was in the 70s in early December 1998) Christmas Eve 1998 had a nice couple of inches here to give us a White Christmas. We also had a light snow event January 8th 1999 and a moderate snowstorm on March 15th 1999 (portions of Long Island saw up to a foot of snow from that storm). And in all three storms, I played outside in the snow (being eight years of age). Since I knew nothing about seasonal averages, from my perspective that was a great winter. Also, soon after the latter of the three storms, it warmed up to above seasonal temperatures, which is just what I want if we're not going to have anymore snow for the winter.

Math23x7
Wx Statistician Guru
Wx Statistician Guru

Back to top Go down

Post by docstox12 Fri Jan 23, 2015 4:57 am

Math23X7, you are a gem, my friend! You will see some day when you hit my age,64, that razor sharp memories like yours really do start to fade.Reading this detailed analysis of the 1998-1999 winter was very enjoyable.Yes, a White Christmas does forgive a lot of sins in a relatively snowless winter.My first memories start with the winter of 1960-1961 which was very productive around here and had a White Christmas with the remains of the Dec.11-12 Blizzard.Hope you do well with these two storms coming up.

KCACO!
docstox12
docstox12
Wx Statistician Guru
Wx Statistician Guru

Back to top Go down

Post by Math23x7 Fri Jan 23, 2015 10:49 am

And there's another snow event to point. By itself, this event was not really special. But in the context of the season, it sure was. I'm talking about April 5th, 2006.

I remember Joe Cioffi pointing out after the 2004-05 season that it was the first time CPK measured at least 40" of snow for three consecutive seasons. After the record breaking 26.9" it got from the February 11-12, 2006 snowstorm, I wondered it 2005-06 would be the fourth straight year it did so (I was 15 years old during that season). The snow/ice storm of March 2nd, 2006 (which caused some slick roads) put CPK at 39.9" on the season. The rest of the month was warm and dry, not a flake of snow. This warmth continued into the beginning of April. However, after a few days, it got a bit cooler. Late Wednesday morning April 5th, 2006, I was just walking into my history class in high school (in Queens, NY) and we had a snow squall! It tapered off soon after but wow what a sight to see. My teacher actually brought up how she remembered the April Fools Blizzard of 1997 that shut down Boston. Anyway, soon after I get home, I watch the weather report and they put up that CPK had measured 0.1" of snow meaning it got to 40.0" on the season, the 4th straight season it did so. Even if April snow events are minor, it's interesting to see how they impact the seasonal snow totals.

Math23x7
Wx Statistician Guru
Wx Statistician Guru

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 12 of 41 Previous  1 ... 7 ... 11, 12, 13 ... 26 ... 41  Next

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum