NJ Strong Weather Forum

Join the forum, it's quick and easy

NJ Strong Weather Forum
NJ Strong Weather Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Central Park totals worse than ever.

+30
NjWeatherGuy
Carter bk
Scullybutcher
crippo84
weatherwatchermom
Quietace
dad4twoboys
billg315
Snow88
dkodgis
essexcountypete
JoeBx82
Abba701
jbnyy224
Isotherm
skinsfan1177
kalleg
snowday111
algae888
SNOW MAN
Dunnzoo
GreyBeard
devsman
Dtone
docstox12
Math23x7
sroc4
amugs
Frank_Wx
CPcantmeasuresnow
34 posters

Page 8 of 12 Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12  Next

Go down

Central Park totals worse than ever.  - Page 8 Empty Re: Central Park totals worse than ever.

Post by Math23x7 Mon Mar 21, 2016 2:32 pm

Logan airport's official snow measurement from this storm was 3.6" so NYC still leads Boston, albeit a fragile lead. Boston is at 29.5" and NYC is at 31.6"

Math23x7
Wx Statistician Guru
Wx Statistician Guru

Back to top Go down

Central Park totals worse than ever.  - Page 8 Empty Re: Central Park totals worse than ever.

Post by essexcountypete Mon Mar 21, 2016 3:24 pm

FWIW, I live about 10 miles west of NYC and we got a trace (1/4 at most) on grassy areas.

essexcountypete
Pro Enthusiast
Pro Enthusiast

Back to top Go down

Post by Math23x7 Mon Mar 21, 2016 6:54 pm

OK, there was just an update from Upton stating that CPK got 0.5" of snow from last night's snow event.  Personally I agree with it.  That puts the seasonal snow total up to 32.1" so it did not advance in the rankings.  It remains the 54th snowiest out of 147 snow seasons total.

Math23x7
Wx Statistician Guru
Wx Statistician Guru

Back to top Go down

Post by CPcantmeasuresnow Mon Mar 21, 2016 10:35 pm

Math23x7 wrote:OK, there was just an update from Upton stating that CPK got 0.5" of snow from last night's snow event.  Personally I agree with it.  That puts the seasonal snow total up to 32.1" so it did not advance in the rankings.  It remains the 54th snowiest out of 147 snow seasons total.

In reality it's about 36-37 inches this year in Central Park, the same old crap continues with the Consevancy as with the zoo. Actually to sum up the winter they are probably a little worse than the zoo. I've actually grown tired of fighting it and I no longer give a crap. Such a simple thing to fix and for as long as I've been observing they can't seem to get it done. Pathetic.

I'm considering starting a gofundme page so I can quit working and take NOAA up on their offer and do the measurements at Central Park myself. This year it would have involved what 4 or 5 days there?
CPcantmeasuresnow
CPcantmeasuresnow
Wx Statistician Guru
Wx Statistician Guru

Back to top Go down

Post by dkodgis Thu Apr 28, 2016 8:33 pm

Yo CP! Read this article about Jonas and the miscommunication between The Conservancy and the NWS. The Conservancy...it sounds like something out of the X-Files.

http://nypost.com/2016/04/28/winter-storm-jonas-was-a-record-breaking-storm-for-the-ages/
dkodgis
dkodgis
Senior Enthusiast
Senior Enthusiast

Back to top Go down

Post by Math23x7 Sat Jan 07, 2017 8:18 pm

Bump.

Through 7 PM: EWR (Newark): 5.5" of snow, 0.28 qpf: 19.64:1 ratio; LGA: 6.3" of snow, 0.19 qpf: 33.16:1 ratio; JFK: 7.5" of snow, 0.17" qpf: 44.12:1 ratio; CPK: 5.0" of snow, 3.1" qpf: 16.13:1 ratio.

Question Question Question

Math23x7
Wx Statistician Guru
Wx Statistician Guru

Back to top Go down

Post by CPcantmeasuresnow Sun Jan 08, 2017 12:19 am

The e-mail I sent tonight to NOAA with a big assist from the one and only Math23x7, otherwise known as Mike.

Dear NOAA

As of 4:00 pm January 7th Central Park measured 4.3" of snow, as of 7:00 pm the same day they measured 5.0", so the Conservancy is telling us 0.7" inches fell in that 3 hour time span when 0.11" qpf fell? With todays ratios that's impossible.

In that same time span, LGA had 1.7", EWR had 1.5" and JFK had 1.9". But only 0.7" for KNYC? Obviously the Conservancy is asleep at the controls again.

Thanks for your time looking into this and please make these adjustments as soon as possible.

Please feel free to copy and paste and send to NOAA so we can have todays totals corrected. Unreal.
CPcantmeasuresnow
CPcantmeasuresnow
Wx Statistician Guru
Wx Statistician Guru

Back to top Go down

Post by Math23x7 Sun Jan 08, 2017 1:35 am

The Daily Climate report came out and it has the updated total for CPK at a whopping 5.1".

Other stations:

EWR: 5.8"
BDR: 5.7"
LGA: 7.0"
JFK: 8.2"
ISP: 9.7"

And of course the official NYC snow total comes from the Conservancy, which measured 5.1"

Mad Mad Mad

Math23x7
Wx Statistician Guru
Wx Statistician Guru

Back to top Go down

Post by billg315 Sun Jan 08, 2017 7:44 am

I can see where with this storm JFK would be more than CPK. But really there shouldn't be too big a gap between LGA and CPK (maybe LGA slightly higher just because there can be some natural variation of snow totals from spot to spot from banding or isolated more intense cells. Regardless tough for them to explain it away when you analyze as Mike did by how much less the total went up in a specific time frame than surrounding stations on all sides.
billg315
billg315
Advanced Forecaster - Mod
Advanced Forecaster - Mod

Back to top Go down

Post by CPcantmeasuresnow Sun Jan 08, 2017 8:12 am

CPcantmeasuresnow wrote:The e-mail I sent tonight to NOAA with a big assist from the one and only Math23x7, otherwise known as Mike.

Dear NOAA

As of 4:00 pm January 7th Central Park measured 4.3" of snow, as of 7:00 pm the same day they measured 5.0", so the Conservancy is telling us 0.7" inches fell in that 3 hour time span when 0.11" qpf fell? With todays ratios that's impossible.

In that same time span, LGA had 1.7", EWR had 1.5" and JFK had 1.9". But only 0.7" for KNYC? Obviously the Conservancy is asleep at the controls again.

Thanks for your time looking into this and please make these adjustments as soon as possible.

Please feel free to copy and paste and send to NOAA so we can have todays totals corrected. Unreal.

Please send your e-mails to okx.webmaster@noaa.gov
CPcantmeasuresnow
CPcantmeasuresnow
Wx Statistician Guru
Wx Statistician Guru

Back to top Go down

Post by CPcantmeasuresnow Sun Jan 08, 2017 10:29 am

When Newark records 5.8 inches and LGA records 7.0 and smack in the middle of the 2 only 5 miles from either Central Park records 5.1 inches that's a huge red flag.

At 4pm Central Park recorded 4.3 inches and from 4 pm to midnight an additional 0.8 inches when they recorded moderate to heavy snow for at least 4 hours during that period that is not even possible.

INCOMPETENCE AS ALWAYS!!!!!

Please send your e-mails to okx.webmaster@noaa.gov
CPcantmeasuresnow
CPcantmeasuresnow
Wx Statistician Guru
Wx Statistician Guru

Back to top Go down

Post by CPcantmeasuresnow Mon Jan 09, 2017 12:49 pm

Todays letter to NOAA - No response from Saturday so trying again.

Dear NOAA

In that same time span from 4:00-7:00, LGA had 1.7", EWR had 1.5" and JFK had 1.9". But only 0.7" for KNYC? Obviously the Conservancy is asleep at the controls again. Add to that from 7:00 to midnight Central Park added 0.1 inches and all of the surrounding stations were well over that.

If you compare the final totals of 5.8 at EWR, 7.0 at LGA and 8.2 at JFK against the 5.1 at KNYC their measurement makes no sense. This storm had a very definitive gradient increase from west to east which would put Central Park pretty much in the 6.5 or so range.

Thanks for your time looking into this and please let me know if and when these totals are adjusted.
CPcantmeasuresnow
CPcantmeasuresnow
Wx Statistician Guru
Wx Statistician Guru

Back to top Go down

Post by Frank_Wx Tue Jan 10, 2017 8:24 pm

Well?

CLICK HERE to view NJ Strong Snowstorm Classifications
Frank_Wx
Frank_Wx
Godzilla Seeker
Godzilla Seeker

http://njstrongweather.blogspot.com/

Back to top Go down

Post by CPcantmeasuresnow Tue Jan 10, 2017 9:23 pm

Frank_Wx wrote:Well?

Unlike previous times they haven't even responded. I feel like they've given up. They tried the Conservancy and it's as bad as the zookeeper.

At this point they should probably just go with snowfall measurement from LGA and forget about CPK for reporting snow. LGA would certainly be a better indicator than JFK which is one of the most southern extremes of NYC.

Unbelievable in all these years they can't get it right, such a simple problem to solve, like the guy that invented the shirt you don't have to tuck in. This shouldn't be that complicated but I've been fighting it for 30 years.
CPcantmeasuresnow
CPcantmeasuresnow
Wx Statistician Guru
Wx Statistician Guru

Back to top Go down

Post by dad4twoboys Tue Jan 10, 2017 9:28 pm

CPcantmeasuresnow wrote:

Unlike previous times they haven't even responded. I feel like they've given up. They tried the Conservancy and it's as bad as the zookeeper.

At this point they should probably just go with snowfall measurement from LGA and forget about CPK for reporting snow. LGA would certainly be a better indicator than JFK which is one of the most southern extremes of NYC.

Unbelievable in all these years they can't get it right, such a simple problem to solve, like the guy that invented the shirt you don't have to tuck in. This shouldn't be that complicated but I've been fighting it for 30 years.

Untuckin believable !! Tired Mad
dad4twoboys
dad4twoboys
Pro Enthusiast
Pro Enthusiast

http://massageguy99.teamasea.com

Back to top Go down

Post by CPcantmeasuresnow Wed Jan 11, 2017 8:35 am

dad4twoboys wrote:
CPcantmeasuresnow wrote:

Untuckin believable !!  Tired Mad

love it
CPcantmeasuresnow
CPcantmeasuresnow
Wx Statistician Guru
Wx Statistician Guru

Back to top Go down

Post by Quietace Wed Jan 11, 2017 8:46 am

CPcantmeasuresnow wrote:
dad4twoboys wrote:
CPcantmeasuresnow wrote:

love it
Have you tried making a phone call? 
Quietace
Quietace
Meteorologist - Mod
Meteorologist - Mod

Back to top Go down

Post by CPcantmeasuresnow Wed Jan 11, 2017 8:57 am

Quietace wrote:
CPcantmeasuresnow wrote:
dad4twoboys wrote:
CPcantmeasuresnow wrote:

love it

Do you know a number or contact that would be best?

I had someone at the okx. webmaster e-mail that was always good about keeping me updated and I actually got results, the 3 storms changed two years ago, last years blizzard, even the move to the conservancy, (which is really no better than the infamous zookeeper) but he doesn't seem to be around anymore.

Let me know if you have a name and number Ryan I will definitely call, enough so thta if I don't get results they will probably have to change their number. Very Happy
CPcantmeasuresnow
CPcantmeasuresnow
Wx Statistician Guru
Wx Statistician Guru

Back to top Go down

Post by weatherwatchermom Wed Jan 11, 2017 9:11 am

CP..I called the governors office yesterday...I always start at the top...(I have phoned Senators and WH on occasion..and my husband says have at it as long as there are no black tinted window vans circling the house...lol in his old job he had security clearances..) Anyway the first person  I spoke I heard chirping birds...she said hold on and transferred me to some one in Conservancy. She was very nice and listened and actually agreed with me that records should be accurate. She was not sure who should handle...she thought Mayors office...I told her I always start at the top and work my way down...she was going to ask some questions and get back to me...I will let you know what I hear..If she does not call by tom I will call her back and then start with the Mayors office...

Have a great day!!
weatherwatchermom
weatherwatchermom
Senior Enthusiast
Senior Enthusiast

Back to top Go down

Post by CPcantmeasuresnow Wed Jan 11, 2017 9:18 am

weatherwatchermom wrote:CP..I called the governors office yesterday...I always start at the top...(I have phoned Senators and WH on occasion..and my husband says have at it as long as there are no black tinted window vans circling the house...lol in his old job he had security clearances..) Anyway the first person  I spoke I heard chirping birds...she said hold on and transferred me to some one in Conservancy. She was very nice and listened and actually agreed with me that records should be accurate. She was not sure who should handle...she thought Mayors office...I told her I always start at the top and work my way down...she was going to ask some questions and get back to me...I will let you know what I hear..If she does not call by tom I will call her back and then start with the Mayors office...

Have a great day!!

Don't take this wrong because I've been happily married for 27 years, but if I wasn't and you didn't happen to mention your husband in your post I would be proposing about now. I'm guessing you would be rejecting about five seconds later. As my wife has often said to me if you would have told me about this snow obsession before we got married I might have said no.

Last edited by CPcantmeasuresnow on Wed Jan 11, 2017 2:01 pm; edited 1 time in total
CPcantmeasuresnow
CPcantmeasuresnow
Wx Statistician Guru
Wx Statistician Guru

Back to top Go down

Post by Quietace Wed Jan 11, 2017 10:37 am

CPcantmeasuresnow wrote:
Quietace wrote:
CPcantmeasuresnow wrote:
dad4twoboys wrote:
CPcantmeasuresnow wrote:

love it

Do you know a number or contact that would be best?

I had someone at the okx. webmaster e-mail that was always good about keeping me updated and I actually got results, the 3 storms changed two years ago, last years blizzard, even the move to the conservancy, (which is really no better than the infamous zookeeper) but he doesn't seem to be around anymore.

Let me know if you have a name and number Ryan I will definitely call, enough so thta if I don't get results they will probably have to change their number. Very Happy
Probably Tim Morrin, the observation program leader. I did some digging and found his phone number under the COCOHRAS Program.
631-924-0517 extension #225.
Quietace
Quietace
Meteorologist - Mod
Meteorologist - Mod

Back to top Go down

Post by weatherwatchermom Wed Jan 11, 2017 11:55 am

TX I did not have time for digging will try calling later ..As much noise as one can make the better..Will try this afternoon at school right now
weatherwatchermom
weatherwatchermom
Senior Enthusiast
Senior Enthusiast

Back to top Go down

Post by weatherwatchermom Wed Jan 11, 2017 2:31 pm

Actually the number to call to get Tim Morrin is 631-924-2578 Smile

He will be in tom from 5 am to 1 pm....this is a start...thank you cp....no worries...I love my hubby and am happily married for 13 years..I love a good fight..now and them...so I am on board!! I may not be technical like you about weather..but I do get my point across...(you get more with sugar than vinegar is my motto!!)...have a good night will update tom Smile
weatherwatchermom
weatherwatchermom
Senior Enthusiast
Senior Enthusiast

Back to top Go down

Post by weatherwatchermom Wed Jan 11, 2017 7:01 pm

CPcantmeasuresnow wrote:
weatherwatchermom wrote:CP..I called the governors office yesterday...I always start at the top...(I have phoned Senators and WH on occasion..and my husband says have at it as long as there are no black tinted window vans circling the house...lol in his old job he had security clearances..) Anyway the first person  I spoke I heard chirping birds...she said hold on and transferred me to some one in Conservancy. She was very nice and listened and actually agreed with me that records should be accurate. She was not sure who should handle...she thought Mayors office...I told her I always start at the top and work my way down...she was going to ask some questions and get back to me...I will let you know what I hear..If she does not call by tom I will call her back and then start with the Mayors office...

Have a great day!!

Don't take this wrong because I've been happily married for 27 years, but if I wasn't and you didn't happen to mention your husband in your post I would be proposing about now. I'm guessing you would be rejecting about five seconds later. As my wife has often said to me if you would have told me about this snow obsession before we got married I might have said no.

HaHa...I am flattered...Smile ...we live on the water and our boat is in our back yard during the spring,summer, and fall...my husband mopes the day the boat comes out of the water, sighs every morning when he sees it sitting in our driveway..and curses the snow he has to shovel..lol...I forgive him..love is blind...and he forgives me when I wear my pj's inside out and pray for a snow day with our son...he also grumbles  when I am inside waiting with the hot chocolate and warm cookies while they are out shoveling...lol...so I get you..
weatherwatchermom
weatherwatchermom
Senior Enthusiast
Senior Enthusiast

Back to top Go down

Post by Frank_Wx Wed Jan 11, 2017 8:26 pm

All I see is talking. No results. You're all fired.

Frank_Wx
Frank_Wx
Godzilla Seeker
Godzilla Seeker

Back to top Go down

Post by CPcantmeasuresnow Wed Jan 11, 2017 8:45 pm

Frank_Wx wrote:All I see is talking. No results. You're all fired.

I'm putting my faith in weatherwatchermom. Maybe it's time for some younger blood to carry the ball. I win the occassional battle with NOAA but never the war, here's hoping there can finally be peace.

If she can somehow pull this off, President Trump, (it still sounds odd saying that) should send her to the middle east next. I guarantee getting a peace accord there would be childs play compared to coercing NOAA into finally getting accurate snowfall totals from Central Park.

Also forgot to add great info Ryan, thanks.
CPcantmeasuresnow
CPcantmeasuresnow
Wx Statistician Guru
Wx Statistician Guru

Back to top Go down

Post by Frank_Wx Wed Jan 11, 2017 9:12 pm

lol! lol! lol!

Frank_Wx
Frank_Wx
Godzilla Seeker
Godzilla Seeker

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 8 of 12 Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12  Next

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum