NJ Strong Weather Forum

Join the forum, it's quick and easy

NJ Strong Weather Forum
NJ Strong Weather Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Central Park totals worse than ever.

+30
NjWeatherGuy
Carter bk
Scullybutcher
crippo84
weatherwatchermom
Quietace
dad4twoboys
billg315
Snow88
dkodgis
essexcountypete
JoeBx82
Abba701
jbnyy224
Isotherm
skinsfan1177
kalleg
snowday111
algae888
SNOW MAN
Dunnzoo
GreyBeard
devsman
Dtone
docstox12
Math23x7
sroc4
amugs
Frank_Wx
CPcantmeasuresnow
34 posters

Page 2 of 12 Previous  1, 2, 3, ... 10, 11, 12  Next

Go down

Central Park totals worse than ever.  - Page 2 Empty Re: Central Park totals worse than ever.

Post by Guest Mon Jan 12, 2015 11:57 am

I HAVE THE ANSWER TO THE ZOOKEPER ISSUE!! A little birdie told me he's seen him do his "official" snow measurements under the spruce trees just outside the zoo entrance!

Back to top Go down

Central Park totals worse than ever.  - Page 2 Empty Re: Central Park totals worse than ever.

Post by CPcantmeasuresnow Mon Jan 12, 2015 6:00 pm

syosnow94 wrote:I HAVE THE ANSWER TO THE ZOOKEPER ISSUE!!  A little birdie told me he's seen him do his "official" snow measurements under the spruce trees just outside the zoo entrance!

I know you jest but it wouldn't surprise me.

From my conversations with NOAA and the state climate office it seems whoever does it just doesn't really give a sh!t. Some days I believe they don't even measure and NOAA just estimates from the precip that fell, what the snow fall was. Of course days like last week when .05 QPf fell in the park while the temperature never went above 20 degrees the ratios were high and 1.2 inches of snow fell. NOAA went with the standard ratio and recorded .5 inches in the park when all stations within 5 miles Newark, LGA and JFK all recorded over an inch. It wouldn't be a big deal if they did it once but they've been doing stuff like that for years and they even acknowledge it's a big problem.

The easy solution of Course is have several trained spotters that live near Central Park do the observations instead of a low payed city employee from the zoo that's doesn't give a rats ass how much snow has fallen. I've suggested that at times and they asked if I'd do it. If I lived on Central Park west I'd be happy to but why not just find one of the quarter of a million people that live a couple hundred feet from Central Park.

I'm done for the day.

CPcantmeasuresnow
Wx Statistician Guru
Wx Statistician Guru

Back to top Go down

Post by docstox12 Mon Jan 12, 2015 7:00 pm

The whole scenario reeks of Third Worldness when in fact we are dealing with the most important City in the most advanced, intelligent and industrious country in the world.

I understand your frustration and anger CP.

Great idea in having local trained spotters take over the duty.
docstox12
docstox12
Wx Statistician Guru
Wx Statistician Guru

Back to top Go down

Post by Dtone Mon Jan 12, 2015 7:04 pm

NY is unique in that we use a city park as the official observation station while most cities rely on an airport. Airports have aviation purposes as motivation to keep accurate records. Unless it happens to be a weather buff working in the park no one is going to care about the smaller details. LGA and JFK are official stations but media has gravitated to CPK with its proximity to midtown and its historical significance. Its one of the oldest weather stations around and they are reluctant to make any changes regarding a station with over 100 years of reporting. Any change and they would have to put a asterisk somewhere, they don't want to do that. Basically despite its imperfections CPK is grandfathered in due to its history.
I read a letter NWS put out several years ago to answer some complaints about CPK, it was regarding summer readings however, but NWS answer was basically...we know its not perfect but we are not about to interrupt a 100+ year streak of reporting, CPK might not represent NYC perfectly but it is what it is. There are other stations ppl can rely on that may more accurately reflect your specific neighborhood...
Problem with that is the avg person isn't going to go through climate data etc. Whatever the news reports is what will be accepted as accurate.

There must be someone close to CPK who would do some measurements. NWS just has to make the request to the public. The zookeeper would probably be happy to not have to worry about it anymore

Dtone
Wx Statistician Guru
Wx Statistician Guru

Back to top Go down

Post by Dunnzoo Mon Jan 12, 2015 7:11 pm

The NWS - NY has spotter training every year and assign us all id numbers to keep track of where we are. It would be so easy to find a trained spotter by the park....

Snowfall winter of 2023-2024  17.5"    

Snowfall winter of 2022-2023       6.0"
Snowfall winter of 2021-2022     17.6"    1" sleet 2/25/22
Snowfall winter of 2020-2021     51.1"
Snowfall winter of 2019-2020       8.5"
Snowfall winter of 2018-2019     25.1"
Snowfall winter of 2017-2018     51.9"
Snowfall winter of 2016-2017     45.6"
Snowfall winter of 2015-2016     29.5"
Snowfall winter of 2014-2015     50.55"
Snowfall winter of 2013-2014     66.5"
Dunnzoo
Dunnzoo
Senior Enthusiast - Mod
Senior Enthusiast - Mod

Back to top Go down

Post by CPcantmeasuresnow Mon Jan 12, 2015 9:16 pm

DTone.

I am aware and agree with everything you said. I've always been a proponent of Central Park remaining as the spot for official measurements. Geographically it is the most central land area north to south in NYC proper.

Of course I've always been a proponent of accurate measurements too but going back to the blizzard of 78 and probably before that, accuracy never seems to happen. What's worse is 9 time out of 10 the measurements are low. The obvious answer as I've always stated, and as you seem to agree, and as Janet agrees, and Doc also, is to just get a trained spotter, several if need be and use them for official snow measurements and case closed. I'm sure a person that takes the time to go through the training would do a much better job then a CP Zoo employee. Why they haven't done that in all these years is just mind boggling.
CPcantmeasuresnow
CPcantmeasuresnow
Wx Statistician Guru
Wx Statistician Guru

Back to top Go down

Post by CPcantmeasuresnow Sat Jan 24, 2015 7:50 am

okx.webmaster@noaa.gov

Please e-mail the address above and let's stop the madness. Idiot zookeeper came in with 2.5 inches this morning when obviously at least 4 inches fell.

Just send a short note, this sh!!t has to stop.

I can't take it. Of course Amy Freeze just repeated those numbers and said the city only got a couple of inches.
CPcantmeasuresnow
CPcantmeasuresnow
Wx Statistician Guru
Wx Statistician Guru

Back to top Go down

Post by CPcantmeasuresnow Sat Jan 24, 2015 8:27 am

okx.webmaster@noaa.gov

Below is a sample letter to send, just send to the e-mail address at the top of the page. Just copy and paste it if it makes it easier. Surprisingly it will make a difference.

Hello Men and Women of NOAA:

It looks like the zookeeper is at it again.

His so-called official measurement at 5:40 this morning came in at 2.5 inches.

Every reporting station and trained spotter within 10 miles, south, east, north, and west, has higher to much higher amounts, the majority of them reporting earlier than 5:40. As you well know and are aware, this goes on with almost every storm. The totals always come in low and the people in the zoo that supposedly take the measurements don't really care.

Can this finally be fixed, and can several trained spotters in and around Central Park just do the measurements. I'm sure there are many people, weather enthusiasts, and snow lovers, that would be more than happy to do the job.

Thanks as always for your time.

Sign your real name

Last edited by CPcantmeasuresnow on Sat Jan 24, 2015 8:03 pm; edited 1 time in total
CPcantmeasuresnow
CPcantmeasuresnow
Wx Statistician Guru
Wx Statistician Guru

Back to top Go down

Post by amugs Sat Jan 24, 2015 8:43 am

You go CP and you have all hard data to prove this smuck wrong!! Light the torches, get out the pitch forks and hide the woman and children - to the CP mobile and CP ZOO Keeper's shack we ride!

WINTER 2014-15 : 55.12" +.02 for 6 coatings (avg. 35")
WINTER 2015-16 Total - 29.8" (Avg 35")
WINTER 2016-17 : 39.5" so far
amugs
amugs
Advanced Forecaster - Mod

Back to top Go down

Post by CPcantmeasuresnow Sat Jan 24, 2015 8:50 am

lol! Good stuff Mugs, I mean Sir Moderator, Congrats BTW.

Now go email NOAA my friend.
CPcantmeasuresnow
CPcantmeasuresnow
Wx Statistician Guru
Wx Statistician Guru

Back to top Go down

Post by CPcantmeasuresnow Sat Jan 24, 2015 10:15 am

10 o'clock update, the zookeeper sticking at 2.5 inches Laguardia at 4.0 inches, Newark airport at 5.1 and CPK in the middle of both at 2.5???

That's not even possible.

Come on everyone send those e-mails. We can get this fixed.
CPcantmeasuresnow
CPcantmeasuresnow
Wx Statistician Guru
Wx Statistician Guru

Back to top Go down

Post by Dtone Sat Jan 24, 2015 10:17 am

CPK is way off with this one. It seems undeniable this time. I measured 4" which may be conservative b/c it was already raining. If the concrete slab in the east river aka LGA can get 4" in very marginal temps then CPK shouldn't be so much less.

Dtone
Wx Statistician Guru
Wx Statistician Guru

Back to top Go down

Post by CPcantmeasuresnow Sat Jan 24, 2015 11:15 am

Dtone wrote:CPK is way off with this one. It seems undeniable this time. I measured 4" which may be conservative b/c it was already raining. If the concrete slab in the east river aka LGA can get 4" in very marginal temps then  CPK shouldn't be so much less.

Email NOAA Dtone, we have to get this fixed. It can't hurt
CPcantmeasuresnow
CPcantmeasuresnow
Wx Statistician Guru
Wx Statistician Guru

Back to top Go down

Post by CPcantmeasuresnow Sat Jan 24, 2015 7:07 pm

I know there's lots going on today but please go to top of the thread and e-mail NOAA about another dreadful performance in Central Park today regarding another ridiculous under count of the snow.
CPcantmeasuresnow
CPcantmeasuresnow
Wx Statistician Guru
Wx Statistician Guru

Back to top Go down

Post by docstox12 Sat Jan 24, 2015 7:32 pm

Did your e mail, CP and also went to NOAA.gov and filled in the survey complaining about Central Park in the comment section.

Saw ABC news tonight and a reporter quoted " and there was a little less than 3 inches at Central Park." Cripes, they take this Zookeeper's measurements as something sacrosant, fer crying out loud.Can see why this would steam up a stat guy like yourself.
docstox12
docstox12
Wx Statistician Guru
Wx Statistician Guru

Back to top Go down

Post by CPcantmeasuresnow Sat Jan 24, 2015 7:41 pm

docstox12 wrote:Did your e mail, CP and also went to NOAA.gov and filled in the survey complaining about Central Park in the comment section.

Saw ABC news tonight and a reporter quoted " and there was a little less than 3 inches at Central Park." Cripes, they take this Zookeeper's measurements as something sacrosant, fer crying out loud.Can see why this would steam up a stat guy like yourself.

That's why I voted for you in the last Parliamentary elections Doc, you're as loyal as you are funny.

Good to see Snow Man back, but I noticed he's hiding on the Mainland now and has not set foot on OTI. We should probably get Moderator Mugs to use his pull on the Mainland and have him extradited back to OTI to face AWOL charges.
CPcantmeasuresnow
CPcantmeasuresnow
Wx Statistician Guru
Wx Statistician Guru

Back to top Go down

Post by docstox12 Sat Jan 24, 2015 7:44 pm

I'll stand for you until I drop, CP, in this matter until we get it fixed!!!

Snow Man mentioned in a Mainland post he will return to OTI with an explanation for his absence and we must allow our good citizen some slack in that matter.
docstox12
docstox12
Wx Statistician Guru
Wx Statistician Guru

Back to top Go down

Post by Math23x7 Sat Jan 24, 2015 7:48 pm

Well look at the bright side CP, with CPK's 5.7" seasonal snow total, it is now out of the bottom five. The next season for it to overtake: The 7.4" from 2011-12.

Also, I remember getting a lot of snow from the 2003 President's Day Storm and I could not understand the 19.8" by CPK.

Also, when I was 9 years of age (I'm 24 now) I read about the epic Blizzard of 1888 and the huge snow drifts and the brutal cold and wind. How the heck did Central Park measure just 21" from that storm???

Math23x7
Wx Statistician Guru
Wx Statistician Guru

Back to top Go down

Post by docstox12 Sat Jan 24, 2015 7:51 pm

That 1888 measurement is just bizarrely bad and it is truly a shame that it has stood for over 125 years because it gives the impressuin that the storm was not that bad.
docstox12
docstox12
Wx Statistician Guru
Wx Statistician Guru

Back to top Go down

Post by CPcantmeasuresnow Sat Jan 24, 2015 7:56 pm

Math23x7 wrote:Well look at the bright side CP, with CPK's 5.7" seasonal snow total, it is now out of the bottom five.  The next season for it to overtake: The 7.4" from 2011-12.  

Also, I remember getting a lot of snow from the 2003 President's Day Storm and I could not understand the 19.8" by CPK.

Also, when I was 9 years of age (I'm 24 now) I read about the epic Blizzard of 1888 and the huge snow drifts and the brutal cold and wind.  How the heck did Central Park measure just 21" from that storm???

This is why I want to make you my apprentice Math. When I'm gone in 50 years at 103, you must carry on my work grasshopper.

I doubt you'll get the grasshopper reference Math but Doc, Snowman, and Mugs will. Old TV show from the 70's Kung Foo.
CPcantmeasuresnow
CPcantmeasuresnow
Wx Statistician Guru
Wx Statistician Guru

Back to top Go down

Post by docstox12 Sat Jan 24, 2015 8:13 pm

You are wise, Obi-Wan, to make Math your apprentice! The kid is the Luke Skywalker of snowstorm facts and statistics!!!

Oh, yeah, great,great show.Kung Foo!! Gotta check out the ole YouTube for any of those eps.
docstox12
docstox12
Wx Statistician Guru
Wx Statistician Guru

Back to top Go down

Post by Math23x7 Sat Jan 24, 2015 8:17 pm

docstox12 wrote:You are wise, Obi-Wan, to make Math your apprentice! The kid is the Luke Skywalker of snowstorm facts and statistics!!!

Oh, yeah, great,great show.Kung Foo!! Gotta check out the ole YouTube for any of those eps.

Hate to say this Doc but at the weather meetup two weeks ago, I wasnt really a kid. I was the 4th youngest (behind Frank, Alex, and Ryan). In fact, someone in my family noticed my hair is starting to go grey...ugh.

Math23x7
Wx Statistician Guru
Wx Statistician Guru

Back to top Go down

Post by CPcantmeasuresnow Sat Jan 24, 2015 8:19 pm

http://forecast.weather.gov/product.php?site=NWS&format=CI&version=1&glossary=0&highlight=off&issuedby=OKX&product=PNS

If the above isn't an indictment of the zookeepers 2.5 inches today I don't know what is.

All NYC totals other than JFK, at 3.4, which is usually the lowest because it's the southernmost part of NYC and right on the water, reported 4 to 5 inches and change for snowfall totals.

I know technically parts of Staten Island are further south than JFK but it's elevated in parts.

I believe Dtone mentioned this in another thread too.

Please send those e-mails everyone. E-mail address for NOAA below..

okx.webmaster@noaa.gov

Last edited by CPcantmeasuresnow on Sun Jan 25, 2015 9:57 am; edited 1 time in total
CPcantmeasuresnow
CPcantmeasuresnow
Wx Statistician Guru
Wx Statistician Guru

Back to top Go down

Post by docstox12 Sat Jan 24, 2015 8:20 pm

OK, Math, you wanna be 64 like me,LOL!

Hang around this website at times like this with these models and your hair will fall out!

PS. Last time someone called me a kid , Nixon was President!
docstox12
docstox12
Wx Statistician Guru
Wx Statistician Guru

Back to top Go down

Post by SNOW MAN Sat Jan 24, 2015 8:25 pm

docstox12 wrote:You are wise, Obi-Wan, to make Math your apprentice! The kid is the Luke Skywalker of snowstorm facts and statistics!!!

I remember watching it every week. I remember the episode when he was in training and he had to walk on the rice paper without tearing it. I agree Doc great show.
SNOW MAN
SNOW MAN
Senior Enthusiast
Senior Enthusiast

Back to top Go down

Post by CPcantmeasuresnow Sun Jan 25, 2015 9:32 am

Everyone make sure please to get e-mails sent to NOAA today.

They must feel the pressure especially before what could be a historic storm on Tuesday. If we have any hope of at least getting a somewhat accurate measurement in central Park,they have to feel the heat so they have a responsible person there and not an underpaid lion feeder.

Remember the only reason the record-setting February 2006 storm in central Park of 26.9 inches ever came to be was because Paul Kocin called the Central Park zoo every hour and made sure they took an accurate written measurement. True story and I heard him talk about it on one of his interviews.
CPcantmeasuresnow
CPcantmeasuresnow
Wx Statistician Guru
Wx Statistician Guru

Back to top Go down

Post by amugs Sun Jan 25, 2015 9:34 am

CP - this is a political, governmental plot for the global warmers - do you not see this - they lower the average by miss measuring to show that KYNC average snowfall is dropping. HAHAHA!!! Can't fight city hall BUT you can drive them crazy with your freedoms and I have and always will back you on this and send in emails urging them for change.

WINTER 2014-15 : 55.12" +.02 for 6 coatings (avg. 35")
WINTER 2015-16 Total - 29.8" (Avg 35")
WINTER 2016-17 : 39.5" so far
amugs
amugs

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 2 of 12 Previous  1, 2, 3, ... 10, 11, 12  Next

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum