NJ Strong Weather Forum

Join the forum, it's quick and easy

NJ Strong Weather Forum
NJ Strong Weather Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Central Park totals worse than ever.

+30
NjWeatherGuy
Carter bk
Scullybutcher
crippo84
weatherwatchermom
Quietace
dad4twoboys
billg315
Snow88
dkodgis
essexcountypete
JoeBx82
Abba701
jbnyy224
Isotherm
skinsfan1177
kalleg
snowday111
algae888
SNOW MAN
Dunnzoo
GreyBeard
devsman
Dtone
docstox12
Math23x7
sroc4
amugs
Frank_Wx
CPcantmeasuresnow
34 posters

Page 3 of 12 Previous  1, 2, 3, 4 ... 10, 11, 12  Next

Go down

Central Park totals worse than ever.  - Page 3 Empty Re: Central Park totals worse than ever.

Post by CPcantmeasuresnow Sun Jan 25, 2015 9:32 am

Everyone make sure please to get e-mails sent to NOAA today.

They must feel the pressure especially before what could be a historic storm on Tuesday. If we have any hope of at least getting a somewhat accurate measurement in central Park,they have to feel the heat so they have a responsible person there and not an underpaid lion feeder.

Remember the only reason the record-setting February 2006 storm in central Park of 26.9 inches ever came to be was because Paul Kocin called the Central Park zoo every hour and made sure they took an accurate written measurement. True story and I heard him talk about it on one of his interviews.

CPcantmeasuresnow
Wx Statistician Guru
Wx Statistician Guru

Back to top Go down

Central Park totals worse than ever.  - Page 3 Empty Re: Central Park totals worse than ever.

Post by amugs Sun Jan 25, 2015 9:34 am

CP - this is a political, governmental plot for the global warmers - do you not see this - they lower the average by miss measuring to show that KYNC average snowfall is dropping. HAHAHA!!! Can't fight city hall BUT you can drive them crazy with your freedoms and I have and always will back you on this and send in emails urging them for change.

amugs
Advanced Forecaster - Mod
Advanced Forecaster - Mod

Back to top Go down

Post by CPcantmeasuresnow Sun Jan 25, 2015 9:40 am

amugs wrote:CP - this is a political, governmental plot for the global warmers - do you not see this - they lower the average by miss measuring to show that KYNC average snowfall is dropping. HAHAHA!!! Can't fight city hall BUT you can drive them crazy with your freedoms and I have and always will back you on this and send in emails urging them for change.

Mugs, thanks for the support as always.

You know last winter they did straighten it out from January on after I applied pressure in December. They actually sent me e-mail saying they know of the problem and they're fixing it. The problem is they fixed it for a period of time, and now we're back to the same old crap this year.
CPcantmeasuresnow
CPcantmeasuresnow
Wx Statistician Guru
Wx Statistician Guru

Back to top Go down

Post by algae888 Sun Jan 25, 2015 10:04 am

cp I just sent mine in. however it is going to be almost impossible to get accurate measurements. we will have ten foot drifts with the winds howling. I am not very optimistic that he will give an accurate total
algae888
algae888
Advanced Forecaster
Advanced Forecaster

Back to top Go down

Post by CPcantmeasuresnow Sun Jan 25, 2015 10:06 am

algae888 wrote:cp I just sent mine in. however it is going to be almost impossible to get accurate measurements. we will have ten foot drifts with the winds howling. I am not very optimistic that he will give an accurate total

Thanks for your support, I agree Al, but for once if you can't get an accurate measurement let him give us a high measurement instead of always the low.
CPcantmeasuresnow
CPcantmeasuresnow
Wx Statistician Guru
Wx Statistician Guru

Back to top Go down

Post by algae888 Sun Jan 25, 2015 10:07 am

CPcantmeasuresnow wrote:
algae888 wrote:cp I just sent mine in. however it is going to be almost impossible to get accurate measurements. we will have ten foot drifts with the winds howling. I am not very optimistic that he will give an accurate total

Thanks for your support, I agree Al, but for once if you can't get an accurate measurement let him give us a high measurement instead of always the low.
hopefully he'll measure a drift and come in with 5 feet.lol
algae888
algae888
Advanced Forecaster
Advanced Forecaster

Back to top Go down

Post by CPcantmeasuresnow Sun Jan 25, 2015 10:09 am

algae888 wrote:
CPcantmeasuresnow wrote:

hopefully he'll measure a drift and come in with 5 feet.lol

lol!

I love it Al, for me personally that would be a lifelong dream come true.
CPcantmeasuresnow
CPcantmeasuresnow
Wx Statistician Guru
Wx Statistician Guru

Back to top Go down

Post by CPcantmeasuresnow Mon Jan 26, 2015 3:46 pm

Let's not forget about those e-mails to NOAA everyone.

If we don't apply pressure now, expect the under count of all time when the Central Park totals come in.
CPcantmeasuresnow
CPcantmeasuresnow
Wx Statistician Guru
Wx Statistician Guru

Back to top Go down

Post by CPcantmeasuresnow Mon Jan 26, 2015 5:20 pm

I truly believe the e-mails are working. This is the first time I can ever remember an accurate measurement from central Park this early in the game. The fact that at 4 PM they actually recorded what has fallen which as you said is 4.3 inches blows me away. Keep the e-mails going. Either congratulate them for so far being correct or continue the pressure to make sure they stay on top of this.

They really do listen to this stuff. They got most of last year correct because of the e-mails sent in the beginning of January when they blew some of the measurements on the December storms. I know we all have more important things to do right now, but nothing is more important than setting snowfall records.
CPcantmeasuresnow
CPcantmeasuresnow
Wx Statistician Guru
Wx Statistician Guru

Back to top Go down

Post by CPcantmeasuresnow Mon Jan 26, 2015 6:24 pm

No Slacking.

We have accurate measurements so far. That in itself makes this a historic storm.

E-mail NOAA

okx.webmaster@noaa.gov
CPcantmeasuresnow
CPcantmeasuresnow
Wx Statistician Guru
Wx Statistician Guru

Back to top Go down

Post by snowday111 Mon Jan 26, 2015 6:57 pm

CPcantmeasuresnow wrote:No Slacking.

We have accurate measurements so far. That in itself makes this a historic storm.

E-mail NOAA

okx.webmaster@noaa.gov

Just sent mine. Easy to do with the link you provided. Hope it works!!

snowday111

Back to top Go down

Post by CPcantmeasuresnow Mon Jan 26, 2015 8:09 pm

snowday111 wrote:
CPcantmeasuresnow wrote:No Slacking.

E-mail NOAA

okx.webmaster@noaa.gov

Just sent mine. Easy to do with the link you provided. Hope it works!!

So far today it is.

Thanks snowday, you made my day.
CPcantmeasuresnow
CPcantmeasuresnow
Wx Statistician Guru
Wx Statistician Guru

Back to top Go down

Post by docstox12 Tue Jan 27, 2015 6:57 am

Looks like the torch you put under him worked, CP.Too bad it has to be in a storm we got a lot less than Central Park.Oh, how I love that word "irony',LOL!!!!
docstox12
docstox12
Wx Statistician Guru
Wx Statistician Guru

Back to top Go down

Post by CPcantmeasuresnow Tue Jan 27, 2015 9:39 am

Doc 9.8 inches in Central Park, 11.4 in Laguardia, 8.6 in JFK and 6.5 in Newark,

For the way this storm was configured that sounds about right for once.

We couldn't have done it without everyone on this forum. Last year they responded and made it right with just one person after them, having several dozen this year made them listen.

Like you say though it's a shame it wasn't for a  historic storm because if we don't stay after them, they will scroo up the next one.

Last edited by CPcantmeasuresnow on Mon Feb 02, 2015 11:21 pm; edited 1 time in total
CPcantmeasuresnow
CPcantmeasuresnow
Wx Statistician Guru
Wx Statistician Guru

Back to top Go down

Post by kalleg Tue Jan 27, 2015 10:37 am

Got this reply to my email re the CP measurement issues.
okx webmaster - NOAA Service Account
10:38 PM (11 hours ago)

to me
Thanks for your e-mail Kalle !

Yes, it's a problem and something we are trying to resolve.   You should now that we too believe the measurement was low.  Unfortunately, we're 65 miles away.  What we do is at the end of the month - we review these and sometimes make changes.  We get some of the reports from CoOp's that come in after the event that we look at as well.

So our program leader will review the data and make a revision to Saturday's event as needed.  These final data are what get into the official record for Central Park.

As for finding someone else - easier said than done.  Finding someone to go the the Park and measure every 6 hours is the problem.  Plus, they can't take a day off.  

Again thanks for your concerns.   Please know that all the meteorologists here at the NWS do really care about this too.  

P.S.  If you're in the City and can get a good measurement - that would help us too.  You can send those to okx.spotters@noaa.gov  or just tweet it to us at @NWSNewYorkNY

kalleg

Back to top Go down

Post by CPcantmeasuresnow Tue Jan 27, 2015 10:43 am

kalleg wrote:Got this reply to my email re the CP measurement issues.
okx webmaster - NOAA Service Account
10:38 PM (11 hours ago)

to me
Thanks for your e-mail Kalle !

Yes, it's a problem and something we are trying to resolve.   You should now that we too believe the measurement was low.  Unfortunately, we're 65 miles away.  What we do is at the end of the month - we review these and sometimes make changes.  We get some of the reports from CoOp's that come in after the event that we look at as well.

So our program leader will review the data and make a revision to Saturday's event as needed.  These final data are what get into the official record for Central Park.

As for finding someone else - easier said than done.  Finding someone to go the the Park and measure every 6 hours is the problem.  Plus, they can't take a day off.  

Again thanks for your concerns.   Please know that all the meteorologists here at the NWS do really care about this too.  

P.S.  If you're in the City and can get a good measurement - that would help us too.  You can send those to okx.spotters@noaa.gov  or just tweet it to us at @NWSNewYorkNY

Fantastic Kalleg:

That is similar to the responses, I was getting from them last December when they finally did fix things for the rest of the winter. Let this also be an example to everyone out there that those e-mails do make a difference, they do listen, and they are trying to fix things.

Why they can't I don't quite understand still. It should be as simple as having several trained spotters around central Park taking the measurements. Sooner or later they'll put the dots together.

Last edited by CPcantmeasuresnow on Tue Jan 27, 2015 12:08 pm; edited 1 time in total
CPcantmeasuresnow
CPcantmeasuresnow
Wx Statistician Guru
Wx Statistician Guru

Back to top Go down

Post by docstox12 Tue Jan 27, 2015 10:50 am

There must be some retired folks interested in weather that do not have work issues and can walk over from a short distance.
docstox12
docstox12
Wx Statistician Guru
Wx Statistician Guru

Back to top Go down

Post by CPcantmeasuresnow Tue Jan 27, 2015 4:25 pm

The final results are in and they are impressive.

No the storm results as storms go was ok around New York City, but nothing even near their top 50 all-time. This storm now ranks as their 66th largest snowstorm of all time. I would hardly call that historic as many news media outlets were saying yesterday.

The impressive thing is the Central Park Final measurement came in at 9.8 inches. From everything I've observed and seen in the area that looks to be an accurate measurement for the first time this winter.

This only happened because of all the e-mails that were sent and which NOAA responded to. I put some of the e-mails on a separate thread. If anyone else received replies from NOAA please post them there for others to see.

Trust me because I've observed this a lot through the years. Had we not e-mailed and had they not responded, the first 4 1/2 inches that fell yesterday before 7 PM may not have even been measured. Or if it was it would have been ridiculously low as always. And the final tally today would have ended up somewhere between 6 and 7 inches, him and that's what every news media outlet would be reporting. Just the fact that they even bothered to measure after 7 AM was historic. They had 7.8 inches as of 7 AM and actually updated at 1 PM to the final 9.8.

I know from last year if you keep gently nudging them they do stay on top of it. But I know from the beginning of this year if you don't stay on top of it you get under counts like we got last Saturday.

Everyone who sent an e-mail to NOAA will receive a free five day visa to visit OTI, and possibly even meet the Queen, but only from a distance.

Thanks everyone,great job and I appreciate the help.

CP
CPcantmeasuresnow
CPcantmeasuresnow
Wx Statistician Guru
Wx Statistician Guru

Back to top Go down

Post by CPcantmeasuresnow Mon Feb 02, 2015 8:16 am

Does anyone have a measurement who is near Central Park? It would be best if it was before the changeover to freezing rain. If you do please post it here so we can send to NOAA.

It's just ridiculous it always comes to this despite their assurances they want to fix it.

Please send e-mail to NOAA at the e-mail address below that the 2.5 inches measured in CPK at the 5:45 reading is way low as always. At the same time Laguardia reported 5.2 inches, Newark 4.2 inches and a trained spotter in Manhattan 4.7 inches. Unbelievable.

okx.webmaster@noaa.gov

If you have an accurate measurement near Central Park, again before the change to freezing rain send that to the e-mail address below.

okx.spotters@noaa.gov

You can also tweet your snowfall measurement to

@NWSNewYorkNY

Thanks as always
CPcantmeasuresnow
CPcantmeasuresnow
Wx Statistician Guru
Wx Statistician Guru

Back to top Go down

Post by CPcantmeasuresnow Mon Feb 02, 2015 7:44 pm

Please send e-mail to NOAA at the e-mail address below that the 3.5 inches measured in CPK is way low as always. At the same time Laguardia reported 6.6 inches, Newark 4.6 inches, JFK 4.5, most places in the Bronx and Queens reported 6-7 inches. Unbelievable.

okx.webmaster@noaa.gov

If you have an accurate measurement near Central Park, send that to the e-mail address below.

okx.spotters@noaa.gov

You can also tweet your snowfall measurement to

@NWSNewYorkNY

Thanks as always

Last edited by CPcantmeasuresnow on Tue Feb 03, 2015 6:07 am; edited 1 time in total
CPcantmeasuresnow
CPcantmeasuresnow
Wx Statistician Guru
Wx Statistician Guru

Back to top Go down

Post by CPcantmeasuresnow Mon Feb 02, 2015 10:53 pm

The masses have had enough of this incompetence from the central park measurements and today is the last straw.

Send your e-mails to NOAA, they have to do something eventually. I heard the TWC say 20 different times today NYC only received 2.5 inches from this storm. These are the numbers the world takes as gospel. Send e-mails to.

okx.webmaster@noaa.gov

"TELL THEM YOUR MAD AS HELL AND YOU"RE NOT GONNA TAKE IT ANYMORE"

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WINDtlPXmmE
CPcantmeasuresnow
CPcantmeasuresnow
Wx Statistician Guru
Wx Statistician Guru

Back to top Go down

Post by Frank_Wx Mon Feb 02, 2015 11:16 pm

That video motivated me to finally send an email. Just did

CLICK HERE to view NJ Strong Snowstorm Classifications
Frank_Wx
Frank_Wx
Godzilla Seeker
Godzilla Seeker

http://njstrongweather.blogspot.com/

Back to top Go down

Post by Math23x7 Mon Feb 02, 2015 11:27 pm

Well CPK updated their snow total from 3.5" to 3.6." As unbelievably low as that may be, CPK is now at 20.1" on the season, making it the 98th snowiest season on record.

By the way CP, I replied to your private message from last night.

Math23x7
Wx Statistician Guru
Wx Statistician Guru

Back to top Go down

Post by CPcantmeasuresnow Mon Feb 02, 2015 11:48 pm

Reply sent Mike
CPcantmeasuresnow
CPcantmeasuresnow
Wx Statistician Guru
Wx Statistician Guru

Back to top Go down

Post by CPcantmeasuresnow Mon Feb 02, 2015 11:51 pm

Frank_Wx wrote:That video motivated me to finally send an email. Just did  

I knew that would do the trick Frank. With the Emperor on board mountains will now be moved.
CPcantmeasuresnow
CPcantmeasuresnow
Wx Statistician Guru
Wx Statistician Guru

Back to top Go down

Post by skinsfan1177 Tue Feb 03, 2015 5:09 am

Just sent an email as well cp
skinsfan1177
skinsfan1177
Senior Enthusiast
Senior Enthusiast

Back to top Go down

Post by docstox12 Tue Feb 03, 2015 6:19 am

Sent an e mail CP.If they persist on screwing up the measurements, we will barrage them with e mails.No rest for the weary until this problem is solved.I understand your anger.In your job , as well as my old one in Dentistry, you cannot have any tolerance for errors.If you constantly screw up statistics, your are out of work.If I was off thousands of an inch on a crown placement, disaster would strike.There is just no excuse for a major City in the USA, where records are seen for many years, should consistently make terrible errors in snow measurements.

We've got your back, buddy.
docstox12
docstox12
Wx Statistician Guru
Wx Statistician Guru

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 3 of 12 Previous  1, 2, 3, 4 ... 10, 11, 12  Next

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum