April Obs & Discussion

Page 3 of 12 Previous  1, 2, 3, 4 ... 10, 11, 12  Next

View previous topic View next topic Go down

Re: April Obs & Discussion

Post by algae888 on Sat Apr 02, 2016 10:28 am

The Hudson Valley especially the eastern part into Connecticut and even parts of Long Island out by Scott are going to be very surprised tomorrow morning. What's happening in the atmosphere is a very rare event and I can see some of those places getting 6 inches of snow tomorrow in a very short time. it's going to resemble summertime thunderstorms where 5 or 10 miles away get hardly anything. I'm hoping to get under one of those thunder snows cells tomorrow morning.  surprised Frank and Scott aren't saying much about this event.
algae888
Advanced Forecaster
Advanced Forecaster

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Math23x7 on Sat Apr 02, 2016 10:36 am

SoulSingMG, NYC was under a High Wind Warning during Hurricane Sandy. Recall that the National Hurricane Center opted to NOT issue any Hurricane Warnings for the tri-state area since it was going to be extratropical upon landfall. They're reasoning back then still boggles my mind to this day.

Math23x7
Wx Statistician Guru
Wx Statistician Guru

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by algae888 on Sat Apr 02, 2016 10:48 am

Monday system on the Nam showing 1 to 4 inches from northern New Jersey to Long Island with the most being in northern New Jersey. this keeps ticking South little by little 850 s never get above freezing although boundary layers warm. temps stay in the thirties away from the immediate New York area but climb into the forties along the coast
algae888
Advanced Forecaster
Advanced Forecaster

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Frank_Wx on Sat Apr 02, 2016 10:57 am

Man it looks cold in the week to come, including the following weekend. Maybe some snow showers along the way but nothing significant in my mind. By mid to late month the warmth should return

2015-2016: 34.0"
2016-2017: 19.0"

________________________________________________________________________________________________________
CLICK HERE to view NJ Strong Snowstorm Classifications
Frank_Wx
Godzilla Seeker
Godzilla Seeker

View user profile http://njstrongweather.blogspot.com/

Back to top Go down

Post by frank 638 on Sat Apr 02, 2016 11:04 am

Wow the first home opening of the Yankees will feel like Oct baseball crazy

frank 638
Pro Enthusiast
Pro Enthusiast

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by algae888 on Sat Apr 02, 2016 11:15 am

Rgem looks like nothing like the nam. System doesn't get cranking till it's Northeast of us
algae888
Advanced Forecaster
Advanced Forecaster

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by CPcantmeasuresnow on Sat Apr 02, 2016 12:26 pm

frank 638 wrote:Wow the first home opening of the Yankees will feel like Oct baseball crazy

Since 1982 there have been 3 Yankee Opening days affected by snow or delayed by several days because of snow.

April 6, 1982, of course speaks for itself. I had tickets for that opening day and the Bronx received almost a foot of snow that day with temperatures in the mid to high 20s throughout the entire day. The season was delayed at least four or five days I don't remember exactly how many. Central Park had a low temperature of 21 for two consecutive days and highs in the 30s the two days after the storm. I'm not sure if it's a record that there was measurable snow on the ground for six consecutive days in central Park from April 6 to April 11.

This in April 1996, I'm not sure of the exact date, opening day at Yankee Stadium was played with continuous snow showers throughout the game and temperatures in the mid-30s. Eddie Layton played let it snow on the stadium organ almost every inning during. it was only because it was an afternoon game and temperatures were in the mid-30s the snow didn't stick to the Stadium grass and the game was played without any delays. During the seventh inning it did snow hard enough to stick in several spots on the grass but once it lightened up it quickly faded.

In April of 2003 and math can probably get me the exact date, the Yankees home opener was canceled by 4 to 5 inches of snow that fell that day. They did clear out the Stadium in time to play the opener the next day with rooftops in the Bronx still covered in snow and temperatures at game time in the mid-30s. Charlie Steiner who was the Yankees radio announcer at the time opened up the game with this classic line, "good afternoon everyone in what is a beautiful day for baseball, somewhere in the world but certainly not here".
CPcantmeasuresnow
Wx Statistician Guru
Wx Statistician Guru

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Math23x7 on Sat Apr 02, 2016 12:27 pm

CPcantmeasuresnow wrote:
frank 638 wrote:Wow the first home opening of the Yankees will feel like Oct baseball crazy

Since 1982 there have been 3 Yankee Opening days affected by snow or delayed by several days because of snow.

April 6, 1982, of course speaks for itself. I had tickets for that opening day and the Bronx received almost a foot of snow that day with temperatures in the mid to high 20s throughout the entire day. The season was delayed at least four or five days I don't remember exactly how many. Central Park had a low temperature of 21 for two consecutive days and highs in the 30s the two days after the storm. I'm not sure if it's a record that there was measurable snow on the ground for six consecutive days in central Park from April 6 to April 11.

This in April 1996, I'm not sure of the exact date, opening day at Yankee Stadium was played with continuous snow showers throughout the game and temperatures in the mid-30s. Eddie Layton played let it snow on the stadium organ almost every inning during. it was only because it was an afternoon game and temperatures were in the mid-30s the snow didn't stick to the Stadium grass and the game was played without any delays. During the seventh inning it did snow hard enough to stick in several spots on the grass but once it lightened up it quickly faded.

In April of 2003 and math can probably get me the exact date, the Yankees home opener was canceled by 4 to 5 inches of snow that fell that day. They did clear out the Stadium in time to play the opener the next day with rooftops in the Bronx still covered in snow and temperatures at game time in the mid-30s. Charlie Steiner who was the Yankees radio announcer at the time opened up the game with this classic line, "good afternoon everyone in what is a beautiful day for baseball, somewhere in the world but certainly not here".

The snowstorm in April 2003 was on Monday the 7th.  I mentioned this in my first ever post over on OTI on January 22nd, 2015.

Math23x7
Wx Statistician Guru
Wx Statistician Guru

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by aiannone on Sat Apr 02, 2016 12:44 pm

Experimental HRRR for tonight into tomorrow morning. We could see a good thump even down to the coast!

aiannone
Advanced Forecaster
Advanced Forecaster

Location : Saint James, LI (Northwest Suffolk Co.)/ Binghamton, NY (Binghamton University)-Broome County

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by aiannone on Sat Apr 02, 2016 1:11 pm

aiannone
Advanced Forecaster
Advanced Forecaster

Location : Saint James, LI (Northwest Suffolk Co.)/ Binghamton, NY (Binghamton University)-Broome County

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Quietace on Sat Apr 02, 2016 2:06 pm

Math23x7 wrote:SoulSingMG, NYC was under a High Wind Warning during Hurricane Sandy.  Recall that the National Hurricane Center opted to NOT issue any Hurricane Warnings for the tri-state area since it was going to be extratropical upon landfall.  They're reasoning back then still boggles my mind to this day.
This is a extremely cumbersome topic I often get into heated debates about. But I feel they were correct for not issuing hurricane warnings based off the limitations they are met with under the system that has since been adjusted due to Sandy's unique case.

B.S. Meteorology 2018
Quietace
Advanced Forecaster
Advanced Forecaster

View user profile http://vortex.plymouth.edu/mapwall/

Back to top Go down

Post by jmanley32 on Sat Apr 02, 2016 2:12 pm

Wow the discussion suggests gusts as high as 65mph and gfs even showing 70mph! That's not good go b a wild ass day tomorrow mainly morning but winds won't totally die down till at least midday.
jmanley32
Senior Enthusiast & Loyalist

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by jmanley32 on Sat Apr 02, 2016 2:12 pm

Add that hrrr and wow go b like a blizzard.
jmanley32

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by SoulSingMG on Sat Apr 02, 2016 2:13 pm

Math23x7 wrote:SoulSingMG, NYC was under a High Wind Warning during Hurricane Sandy.  Recall that the National Hurricane Center opted to NOT issue any Hurricane Warnings for the tri-state area since it was going to be extratropical upon landfall.  They're reasoning back then still boggles my mind to this day.

I do recall; and you & me both. I actually believe lives were lost due to that call, all based on semantics. I get needing to stick to wx guidelines for advisories so-to-speak but I also believe in extenuating, never-before-seen circumstances such as a storm like Sandy.
SoulSingMG

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by jmanley32 on Sat Apr 02, 2016 2:16 pm

Soul yeah been long time since large area has been prog ged for a week to get winds to 60 mph maybe even briefly higher according to nws latest discussion. Go b quite a few power issue I think.
jmanley32

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by SoulSingMG on Sat Apr 02, 2016 2:16 pm

jmanley32 wrote:Wow the discussion suggests gusts as high as 65mph and gfs even showing 70mph! That's not good go b a wild ass day tomorrow mainly morning but winds won't totally die down till at least midday.

Remember too, this wind direction from the WNW will be a fairly rare one as far as high winds like this are concerned. May present some tree trickery issues & exasperate things.
SoulSingMG

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by algae888 on Sat Apr 02, 2016 2:34 pm

reports of 67mph wind gusts in gary, indiana
algae888
Advanced Forecaster
Advanced Forecaster

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by jmanley32 on Sat Apr 02, 2016 3:03 pm

algae888 wrote:reports of 67mph wind gusts in gary, indiana
holy crap. That's not our system though right? Soulsing So what u mean go be swing things around instead in one direction. Ya tgat no good. Wait yeah indiana that is the system lol bad geography
jmanley32

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by jmanley32 on Sat Apr 02, 2016 3:08 pm

It's so calm right now sun a bit 55 out. Feels cold because of yesterday. In 12 hrs things go start get wild.
jmanley32

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by SoulSingMG on Sat Apr 02, 2016 4:14 pm

Upton's latest warnings depict wind gusts in excess of 65 mph out on Long Island. Pretty sure we'll be seeing lots of outages waking up tomorrow...
SoulSingMG

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by jmanley32 on Sat Apr 02, 2016 4:56 pm

SoulSingMG wrote:Upton's latest warnings depict wind gusts in excess of 65 mph out on Long Island. Pretty sure we'll be seeing lots of outages waking up tomorrow...

The discussion goes more in depth and says 60-65mph coastal areas including NYC, maybe southern WC and jersey coast, and that GFS shows possible 70mph gusts NYC metro. Didint see anything about LI but the warning does say 60-65mph for eastern areas. they just took down a big tree on my street in concern it could perish in the winds.
jmanley32

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by jmanley32 on Sat Apr 02, 2016 6:00 pm

Duke Energy in Indiana is reporting 46k outages currently, 12z Euro is impressive but has the highest gusts coming in much later as it has on other runs, 18z Sun? Thats not right at all.
jmanley32

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by jmanley32 on Sat Apr 02, 2016 6:06 pm

HRRR Gusts (last run) WOW...

jmanley32

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by amugs on Sat Apr 02, 2016 7:28 pm

HRRR WOW!!

WINTER 2014-15 : 55.12" +.02 for 6 coatings (avg. 35")
WINTER 2015-16 Total - 29.8" (Avg 35")
WINTER 2016-17 : 39.5" so far
amugs
Advanced Forecaster
Advanced Forecaster

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by frank 638 on Sat Apr 02, 2016 7:49 pm

Now why  we did not have this weather in February and March

frank 638
Pro Enthusiast