11/19-11/21 Rain/Snow Observations

Page 3 of 6 Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next

View previous topic View next topic Go down

Re: 11/19-11/21 Rain/Snow Observations

Post by Vinnydula on Sat Nov 19, 2016 11:44 pm

Temps are dropping fast now 41
avatar
Vinnydula
Pro Enthusiast
Pro Enthusiast

Posts : 438
Join date : 2013-12-12
Location : Dobbs ferry

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: 11/19-11/21 Rain/Snow Observations

Post by jmanley32 on Sat Nov 19, 2016 11:46 pm

Went outside for a minute took reading, got sudden hit of wind bout 20-25mph and temp dropped to 39.
avatar
jmanley32
Senior Enthusiast & Loyalist
Senior Enthusiast & Loyalist

Posts : 12191
Join date : 2013-12-12
Age : 35
Location : Yonkers, NY

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: 11/19-11/21 Rain/Snow Observations

Post by rb924119 on Sat Nov 19, 2016 11:59 pm

I think there is a legitimate shot that my 3-5" zone may bust LOW!! We are getting SLAMMED here in NE PA!! Solid three inches on the ground, and watching the radar continue to backfill to my southwest is amazing. If there's one way I don't mind being wrong; it's when I'm too low Twisted Evil Twisted Evil Twisted Evil Twisted Evil

rb924119
Meteorologist
Meteorologist

Posts : 3201
Join date : 2013-02-06
Age : 25
Location : Greentown, Pa/Fishkill, NY

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: 11/19-11/21 Rain/Snow Observations

Post by snow247 on Sun Nov 20, 2016 12:01 am

Snow/sleet mix, 37f.


Last edited by snow247 on Sun Nov 20, 2016 12:03 am; edited 1 time in total
avatar
snow247
Pro Enthusiast
Pro Enthusiast

Posts : 2417
Join date : 2014-08-27
Location : Mount Ivy, NY - Elevation 545'

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: 11/19-11/21 Rain/Snow Observations

Post by Vinnydula on Sun Nov 20, 2016 12:01 am

38 sleet
avatar
Vinnydula
Pro Enthusiast
Pro Enthusiast

Posts : 438
Join date : 2013-12-12
Location : Dobbs ferry

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: 11/19-11/21 Rain/Snow Observations

Post by jmanley32 on Sun Nov 20, 2016 12:13 am

no frozen precip here and a lull again right now. NWS has SWS saying its changing even into NYC metro so we will see. RB awesome for you! Winds continue to pick up.
avatar
jmanley32
Senior Enthusiast & Loyalist
Senior Enthusiast & Loyalist

Posts : 12191
Join date : 2013-12-12
Age : 35
Location : Yonkers, NY

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: 11/19-11/21 Rain/Snow Observations

Post by snow247 on Sun Nov 20, 2016 12:20 am

Mostly snow now, 36f. Starting to stick to colder surfaces.
avatar
snow247
Pro Enthusiast
Pro Enthusiast

Posts : 2417
Join date : 2014-08-27
Location : Mount Ivy, NY - Elevation 545'

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: 11/19-11/21 Rain/Snow Observations

Post by frank 638 on Sun Nov 20, 2016 12:25 am

37 deg with a wind swept rain and sleet

frank 638
Pro Enthusiast
Pro Enthusiast

Posts : 1200
Join date : 2016-01-01
Age : 33
Location : bronx ny

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: 11/19-11/21 Rain/Snow Observations

Post by NjWeatherGuy on Sun Nov 20, 2016 12:25 am

33 now. Went from about 72 earlier today to this. Wind driven snow which changed over from sleet which changed quickly over from the starting rain. Column cooled very quickly, this is how backend snow works out baby! Impressive front/hybrid storm which spawned a nice synoptic event, some lightning and thunder for a time of the earlier heavier snow/sleet too!
avatar
NjWeatherGuy
Advanced Forecaster
Advanced Forecaster

Posts : 4023
Join date : 2013-01-06
Location : Belle Mead, NJ

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: 11/19-11/21 Rain/Snow Observations

Post by jmanley32 on Sun Nov 20, 2016 12:28 am

frank 638 wrote:37 deg with a wind swept rain and sleet

How are you getting sleet and I am just plain rain lol your further south than me lol
avatar
jmanley32
Senior Enthusiast & Loyalist
Senior Enthusiast & Loyalist

Posts : 12191
Join date : 2013-12-12
Age : 35
Location : Yonkers, NY

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: 11/19-11/21 Rain/Snow Observations

Post by Math23x7 on Sun Nov 20, 2016 12:33 am

I hope it changes over really soon since I have to go to bed before going to Philly in the morning.  Pushpin is the town where I live.  



Also, since there are trees that still have their leaves, to you think there could be some down tree limbs which would block the train tracks between NYC and Philly from this snow event?

Math23x7
Wx Statistician Guru
Wx Statistician Guru

Posts : 1629
Join date : 2013-01-08

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: 11/19-11/21 Rain/Snow Observations

Post by rb924119 on Sun Nov 20, 2016 12:37 am

Closing in on 5" and no signs of a let-up....STILL!!!!

rb924119
Meteorologist
Meteorologist

Posts : 3201
Join date : 2013-02-06
Age : 25
Location : Greentown, Pa/Fishkill, NY

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: 11/19-11/21 Rain/Snow Observations

Post by jmanley32 on Sun Nov 20, 2016 12:55 am

Seems to have hit a wall just west of hudson river, may not change over here. Rb thats nuts!
avatar
jmanley32
Senior Enthusiast & Loyalist
Senior Enthusiast & Loyalist

Posts : 12191
Join date : 2013-12-12
Age : 35
Location : Yonkers, NY

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: 11/19-11/21 Rain/Snow Observations

Post by NjWeatherGuy on Sun Nov 20, 2016 12:57 am

rb924119 wrote:Closing in on 5" and no signs of a let-up....STILL!!!!

wow! massive flakes here for a while. actually accumulating. nice coating here, pleasant surprise for being low elev. (abt.100ft)
avatar
NjWeatherGuy
Advanced Forecaster
Advanced Forecaster

Posts : 4023
Join date : 2013-01-06
Location : Belle Mead, NJ

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: 11/19-11/21 Rain/Snow Observations

Post by aiannone on Sun Nov 20, 2016 1:02 am

Been snowing here in Binghamton, NY since 7pm. Mostly just a light coating. Having trouble sticking but it's been coming down at a good clip. Roads are just wet, but DOT has thrown salt down.
avatar
aiannone
Advanced Forecaster
Advanced Forecaster

Posts : 2399
Join date : 2013-01-07
Location : Saint James, LI (Northwest Suffolk Co.)/ Binghamton, NY (Binghamton University)-Broome County

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: 11/19-11/21 Rain/Snow Observations

Post by rb924119 on Sun Nov 20, 2016 1:09 am

aiannone wrote:Been snowing here in Binghamton, NY since 7pm. Mostly just a light coating. Having trouble sticking but it's been coming down at a good clip. Roads are just wet, but DOT has thrown salt down.

WHAT?!!! HOW?!! Aha That doesn't even make sense lol What's the approximate elevation?

rb924119
Meteorologist
Meteorologist

Posts : 3201
Join date : 2013-02-06
Age : 25
Location : Greentown, Pa/Fishkill, NY

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: 11/19-11/21 Rain/Snow Observations

Post by NjWeatherGuy on Sun Nov 20, 2016 1:13 am

Yea hows he got about the same conditions up there as down here? Closer deepening surface low and better conditions for snow here somehow? Only 100ft here and it vastly overperformed my expectations already for my area.
avatar
NjWeatherGuy
Advanced Forecaster
Advanced Forecaster

Posts : 4023
Join date : 2013-01-06
Location : Belle Mead, NJ

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: 11/19-11/21 Rain/Snow Observations

Post by snow247 on Sun Nov 20, 2016 1:19 am

Layer of ice forming on everything combined with the strong wind is beginning to cause power problems. Sky is constantly flashing blue now.
avatar
snow247
Pro Enthusiast
Pro Enthusiast

Posts : 2417
Join date : 2014-08-27
Location : Mount Ivy, NY - Elevation 545'

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: 11/19-11/21 Rain/Snow Observations

Post by 1190ftalt on Sun Nov 20, 2016 1:25 am

Just went outside, measured car 2 inches of snow! Can't see the grass , driveway covered , heavy wet snow and big snowflakes , temp now at 30, thought it was 29 earlier. My house is at 1190 ft alt so that helps! The road in front is half covered with snow , one side snow and other slush .Just went out to the pool house to put wood in wood stove and heard tree branches crashing down, hope I don't have to start the generator '

1190ftalt

Posts : 97
Join date : 2013-12-13
Location : Ft Lee, Stillwater, NJ

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: 11/19-11/21 Rain/Snow Observations

Post by rb924119 on Sun Nov 20, 2016 1:29 am

NjWeatherGuy wrote:Yea hows he got about the same conditions up there as down here? Closer deepening surface low and better conditions for snow here somehow? Only 100ft here and it vastly overperformed my expectations already for my area.

If I even had a remote GUESS as to why I'd offer it, but I am honestly baffled. I'm looking at NWS observations and they all say the same story; generally 1-3" west of I-81, with comparable amounts in our areas of southeastern PA and western NJ. NEPA seems by far to be the jackpot through this point in time, but with the radar returns I saw all night the areas to the west had the same returns as we have had. Different snow growth regimes, maybe? No idea.

rb924119
Meteorologist
Meteorologist

Posts : 3201
Join date : 2013-02-06
Age : 25
Location : Greentown, Pa/Fishkill, NY

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: 11/19-11/21 Rain/Snow Observations

Post by jmanley32 on Sun Nov 20, 2016 1:31 am

Man I gotta move north, all you guys are having the fun. But then again some years we have gotten the fun, so this is turning into a ice storm for some now?
avatar
jmanley32
Senior Enthusiast & Loyalist
Senior Enthusiast & Loyalist

Posts : 12191
Join date : 2013-12-12
Age : 35
Location : Yonkers, NY

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: 11/19-11/21 Rain/Snow Observations

Post by rb924119 on Sun Nov 20, 2016 1:39 am

jmanley32 wrote:Man I gotta move north, all you guys are having the fun. But then again some years we have gotten the fun, so this is turning into a ice storm for some now?

HEY, we northerners have gotten shafted these last five years or so with the southeast trend, so let us have our ONE event ahaha Throw the dogs a bone, would ya? lmao JK

rb924119
Meteorologist
Meteorologist

Posts : 3201
Join date : 2013-02-06
Age : 25
Location : Greentown, Pa/Fishkill, NY

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: 11/19-11/21 Rain/Snow Observations

Post by jmanley32 on Sun Nov 20, 2016 1:42 am

rb924119 wrote:
jmanley32 wrote:Man I gotta move north, all you guys are having the fun. But then again some years we have gotten the fun, so this is turning into a ice storm for some now?

HEY, we northerners have gotten shafted these last five years or so with the southeast trend, so let us have our ONE event ahaha Throw the dogs a bone, would ya? lmao JK

no i hear ya, i wish u much bigger ones in coming months!
avatar
jmanley32
Senior Enthusiast & Loyalist
Senior Enthusiast & Loyalist

Posts : 12191
Join date : 2013-12-12
Age : 35
Location : Yonkers, NY

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: 11/19-11/21 Rain/Snow Observations

Post by rb924119 on Sun Nov 20, 2016 1:56 am

rb924119 wrote:
NjWeatherGuy wrote:Yea hows he got about the same conditions up there as down here? Closer deepening surface low and better conditions for snow here somehow? Only 100ft here and it vastly overperformed my expectations already for my area.

If I even had a remote GUESS as to why I'd offer it, but I am honestly baffled. I'm looking at NWS observations and they all say the same story; generally 1-3" west of I-81, with comparable amounts in our areas of southeastern PA and western NJ. NEPA seems by far to be the jackpot through this point in time, but with the radar returns I saw all night the areas to the west had the same returns as we have had. Different snow growth regimes, maybe? No idea.

The only other thing that I can think of is that we got/are getting a wetter snow than they did, so when ours hit the ground it took longer to melt because of the higher water content (remember, water has a very high specific heat, so it takes a lot of energy to change the energy state of the water from solid, snow flake/low energy, to a liquid, higher energy state achieved through transfer of heat from the ground to the flake). Therefore, our wetter snow could start stacking on itself, since it was not able to completely melt before other flakes fell, whereas theirs did. I don't know lol

rb924119
Meteorologist
Meteorologist

Posts : 3201
Join date : 2013-02-06
Age : 25
Location : Greentown, Pa/Fishkill, NY

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: 11/19-11/21 Rain/Snow Observations

Post by rb924119 on Sun Nov 20, 2016 2:02 am

jmanley32 wrote:
rb924119 wrote:
jmanley32 wrote:Man I gotta move north, all you guys are having the fun. But then again some years we have gotten the fun, so this is turning into a ice storm for some now?

HEY, we northerners have gotten shafted these last five years or so with the southeast trend, so let us have our ONE event ahaha Throw the dogs a bone, would ya? lmao JK

no i hear ya, i wish u much bigger ones in coming months!

Hahaha thanks!! You as well, Jman!

rb924119
Meteorologist
Meteorologist

Posts : 3201
Join date : 2013-02-06
Age : 25
Location : Greentown, Pa/Fishkill, NY

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: 11/19-11/21 Rain/Snow Observations

Post by Sponsored content


Sponsored content


Back to top Go down

Page 3 of 6 Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next

View previous topic View next topic Back to top

- Similar topics

 
Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum