February 2017 Observations & Discussions

Page 13 of 13 Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 11, 12, 13

View previous topic View next topic Go down

Re: February 2017 Observations & Discussions

Post by CPcantmeasuresnow on Mon Feb 27, 2017 6:59 pm

The Yankee replay game from April 9, 1996 is on yes right now. Snowing throughout the game starting to get heavy later in the game. What a great end that was to a great snow season. I believe Long Island got about 10-12 inches from that storm.

In the fourth inning now snow was starting to accumulate around home plate so funny to watch
avatar
CPcantmeasuresnow
Wx Statistician Guru
Wx Statistician Guru

Posts : 4815
Join date : 2013-01-07
Age : 56
Location : Eastern Orange County - OTI Sector 4

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: February 2017 Observations & Discussions

Post by Math23x7 on Tue Feb 28, 2017 1:08 am

Looking at the high/low temperatures for the first 27 days of February and seeing how it is currently 49 degrees at CPK, unless the temperature makes a quick and unexpected drop to 15 degrees within the next 23 hours, February 2017 will go down as the warmest February on record. If the high/low for 2/28 is 60/45, then the mean temperature will be 41.6, crushing February 2012's mean temperature of 40.9.

Math23x7
Wx Statistician Guru
Wx Statistician Guru

Posts : 1752
Join date : 2013-01-08

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: February 2017 Observations & Discussions

Post by Frank_Wx on Tue Feb 28, 2017 8:33 am

NAM depicting strong storms tomorrow afternoon


_________________
Snow Accumulation Archive - Cranford, NJ
2013-2014: 62.1"
2014-2015: 56.0"
2015-2016: 34.0"
2016-2017: 31.5"
2017-2018:

________________________________________________________________________________________________________
CLICK HERE to view NJ Strong Snowstorm Classifications
avatar
Frank_Wx
Godzilla Seeker
Godzilla Seeker

Posts : 17128
Join date : 2013-01-05
Age : 25
Location : Cranford, NJ

View user profile http://njstrongweather.blogspot.com/

Back to top Go down

Re: February 2017 Observations & Discussions

Post by CPcantmeasuresnow on Tue Feb 28, 2017 9:19 am

Frank_Wx wrote:NAM depicting strong storms tomorrow afternoon


This has been a really rough May with the thunderstorms.
avatar
CPcantmeasuresnow
Wx Statistician Guru
Wx Statistician Guru

Posts : 4815
Join date : 2013-01-07
Age : 56
Location : Eastern Orange County - OTI Sector 4

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: February 2017 Observations & Discussions

Post by Dtone on Tue Feb 28, 2017 11:48 am


Dtone
Wx Statistician Guru
Wx Statistician Guru

Posts : 1524
Join date : 2013-08-26
Location : Bronx, NY

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: February 2017 Observations & Discussions

Post by amugs on Tue Feb 28, 2017 12:18 pm

We'll go from 70 tomorrow to Snow on Friday - March madness at its best!!
NAms showing a good thump of a couple of inches NNJ on North

GEFS a bit N




_________________
Mugs 
AKA:King: Snow Weenie
Self Proclaimed
WINTER 2014-15 : 55.12" +.02 for 6 coatings (avg. 35")
WINTER 2015-16 Total - 29.8" (Avg 35")
WINTER 2016-17 : 39.5" so far
avatar
amugs
Advanced Forecaster
Advanced Forecaster

Posts : 8747
Join date : 2013-01-07
Age : 48
Location : Hillsdale,NJ

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: February 2017 Observations & Discussions

Post by Dunnzoo on Tue Feb 28, 2017 12:46 pm

amugs wrote:We'll go from 70 tomorrow to Snow on Friday - March madness at its best!!
NAms showing a good thump of a couple of inches NNJ on North

GEFS a bit N




In like a lion!


_________________
Janet


Snowfall winter of 2017-2018 5"

Snowfall winter of 2016-2017      38.5"
Snowfall winter of 2015-2016     29.5"
Snowfall winter of 2014-2015     50.55"
Snowfall winter of 2013-2014  66.5"
avatar
Dunnzoo
Senior Enthusiast & Loyalist
Senior Enthusiast & Loyalist

Posts : 3352
Join date : 2013-01-11
Age : 55
Location : Westwood, NJ

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: February 2017 Observations & Discussions

Post by Dunnzoo on Tue Feb 28, 2017 12:51 pm

She's creeping closer,



_________________
Janet


Snowfall winter of 2017-2018 5"

Snowfall winter of 2016-2017      38.5"
Snowfall winter of 2015-2016     29.5"
Snowfall winter of 2014-2015     50.55"
Snowfall winter of 2013-2014  66.5"
avatar
Dunnzoo
Senior Enthusiast & Loyalist
Senior Enthusiast & Loyalist

Posts : 3352
Join date : 2013-01-11
Age : 55
Location : Westwood, NJ

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: February 2017 Observations & Discussions

Post by jmanley32 on Tue Feb 28, 2017 1:21 pm

Another severe weather event tomorrow. Unreal. Cp love it may lol
avatar
jmanley32
Senior Enthusiast & Loyalist
Senior Enthusiast & Loyalist

Posts : 13312
Join date : 2013-12-12
Age : 36
Location : Yonkers, NY

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: February 2017 Observations & Discussions

Post by rb924119 on Tue Feb 28, 2017 8:48 pm

Check this out if you wanna see what the last couple months of Stratospheric progression looked like. Done by my former professor!!

https://mobile.twitter.com/alopezlang/status/836710481977028608

rb924119
Meteorologist
Meteorologist

Posts : 3662
Join date : 2013-02-06
Age : 25
Location : Greentown, Pa/Fishkill, NY

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: February 2017 Observations & Discussions

Post by sroc4 on Tue Feb 28, 2017 8:53 pm

rb924119 wrote:Check this out if you wanna see what the last couple months of Stratospheric progression looked like. Done by my former professor!!

https://mobile.twitter.com/alopezlang/status/836710481977028608

This is awesome. You should tell him to split screen this with the 500 and 250mb progression.

_________________
"Go hug a human, not a weather model"
WINTER 2012/2013 SNOW TOTALS 43.65"
WINTER 2013/2014 SNOW TOTALS 64.85"
WINTER 2014/2015 SNOW TOTALS 71.20"
WINTER 2015/2016 SNOW TOTALS  35.00"
WINTER 2016/2017 SNOW TOTALS 42.25"
WINTER 2017/2018 SNOW TOTALS 8.05"
Dec 09th 2.75" (prev year's first snowfall Dec 11th coating)
Dec 14th 2.5"
Dec 15th 2.8"
avatar
sroc4
Admin
Admin

Posts : 4973
Join date : 2013-01-07
Location : Wading River, LI

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: February 2017 Observations & Discussions

Post by dkodgis on Tue Feb 28, 2017 9:57 pm

What I noticed from the last storm was the power outages, the downed trees, and the winds. So if tomorrow's action packs more of a wallop, I think there will be more of the same. It seems surprising to see storms like this and of this intensity in Feb. I do not recall seeing the atmosphere energizing this way so early on. April or May, yes. Feb is too early yet it is happening.
avatar
dkodgis
Pro Enthusiast
Pro Enthusiast

Posts : 392
Join date : 2013-12-29

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: February 2017 Observations & Discussions

Post by Dunnzoo on Tue Feb 28, 2017 11:51 pm

51° at almost midnight in February... oy

_________________
Janet


Snowfall winter of 2017-2018 5"

Snowfall winter of 2016-2017      38.5"
Snowfall winter of 2015-2016     29.5"
Snowfall winter of 2014-2015     50.55"
Snowfall winter of 2013-2014  66.5"
avatar
Dunnzoo
Senior Enthusiast & Loyalist
Senior Enthusiast & Loyalist

Posts : 3352
Join date : 2013-01-11
Age : 55
Location : Westwood, NJ

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: February 2017 Observations & Discussions

Post by Dtone on Wed Mar 01, 2017 9:38 am

Closing the books on Feb.
Avg temp, departure, and rounded avg high/low for the month.
Note that the avg low temp is above freezing for all NYC stations and Newark.

NYC  41.6, +6.3,  49/35  
LGA  42.8, +7.5,  50/36
JFK   40.3, +5.5,  48/33
EWR  41.6, +7.0,  50/33    

ISP    37.8, +5.0,  46/29
HPN   37.6, +6.7,  46/29
BDP    38.4, +6.0,  46/31


Actually for every month of meteorological winter the avg low temp in Central Park has been above freezing.
Dec: 44/33
Jan: 43/33
Feb  49/35 (Hasn't been at or below freezing since Feb 17th)

I counted 35 days during met winter with low temps at/below freezing. (Dec: 11, Jan: 12, Feb: 12) I believe that's close to a record.

Dtone
Wx Statistician Guru
Wx Statistician Guru

Posts : 1524
Join date : 2013-08-26
Location : Bronx, NY

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: February 2017 Observations & Discussions

Post by CPcantmeasuresnow on Wed Mar 01, 2017 9:57 am

Dtone wrote:Closing the books on Feb.
Avg temp, departure, and rounded avg high/low for the month.
Note that the avg low temp is above freezing for all NYC stations and Newark.

NYC  41.6, +6.3,  49/35  
LGA  42.8, +7.5,  50/36
JFK   40.3, +5.5,  48/33
EWR  41.6, +7.0,  50/33    

ISP    37.8, +5.0,  46/29
HPN   37.6, +6.7,  46/29
BDP    38.4, +6.0,  46/31


Actually for every month of meteorological winter the avg low temp in Central Park has been above freezing.
Dec: 44/33
Jan: 43/33
Feb  49/35 (Hasn't been at or below freezing since Feb 17th)

I counted 35 days during met winter with low temps at/below freezing. (Dec: 11, Jan: 12, Feb: 12) I believe that's close to a record.

I believe it was also the warmest February on record at all locations except one, not sure which?

Dtone: Where do you find the White Plains stats (HPN)?

avatar
CPcantmeasuresnow
Wx Statistician Guru
Wx Statistician Guru

Posts : 4815
Join date : 2013-01-07
Age : 56
Location : Eastern Orange County - OTI Sector 4

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Dtone

Post by Dtone on Wed Mar 01, 2017 10:10 am

CPcantmeasuresnow wrote:
Dtone wrote:Closing the books on Feb.
Avg temp, departure, and rounded avg high/low for the month.
Note that the avg low temp is above freezing for all NYC stations and Newark.

NYC  41.6, +6.3,  49/35  
LGA  42.8, +7.5,  50/36
JFK   40.3, +5.5,  48/33
EWR  41.6, +7.0,  50/33    

ISP    37.8, +5.0,  46/29
HPN   37.6, +6.7,  46/29
BDP    38.4, +6.0,  46/31


Actually for every month of meteorological winter the avg low temp in Central Park has been above freezing.
Dec: 44/33
Jan: 43/33
Feb  49/35 (Hasn't been at or below freezing since Feb 17th)

I counted 35 days during met winter with low temps at/below freezing. (Dec: 11, Jan: 12, Feb: 12) I believe that's close to a record.

I believe it was also the warmest February on record at all locations except one, not sure which?

Dtone: Where do you find the White Plains stats (HPN)?


Yeah i forgot to mention that. Warmest feb everywhere except Islip.
You can extend that warmest feb up and down  I 95 corridor.

I found white plains on NWS site, in NOWdata tab. HPN isnt the best, sometimes they are slow to update data, but it fills a gap in the region.

http://w2.weather.gov/climate/xmacis.php?wfo=okx

Dtone
Wx Statistician Guru
Wx Statistician Guru

Posts : 1524
Join date : 2013-08-26
Location : Bronx, NY

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: February 2017 Observations & Discussions

Post by docstox12 on Thu Mar 02, 2017 5:23 am

Jman, HOWLING, winds up here!!

40.6, 61%, 29.22 F

Might see some flakes tomorrow!! As Mugsy said, March Madness at it's best after 70 degrees a few days ago!! I know I repeat myself on this but it always brings to mind the stories of those people in Central Park on blankets in the warm sun a few days before the Blizzard of 1888!

LOL, senior moment! It's friggin MARCH.
avatar
docstox12
Wx Statistician Guru
Wx Statistician Guru

Posts : 5408
Join date : 2013-01-07
Age : 67
Location : Monroe NY

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: February 2017 Observations & Discussions

Post by Sponsored content


Sponsored content


Back to top Go down

Page 13 of 13 Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 11, 12, 13

View previous topic View next topic Back to top

- Similar topics

 
Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum