NJ Strong Weather Forum

Join the forum, it's quick and easy

NJ Strong Weather Forum
NJ Strong Weather Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

*Roidzilla 2017* - Final Call Snow Map / Observations

+90
Lnda23
dsix85
1190ftalt
elkiehound
toople
tigernumba1
H.G. Rising
SENJsnowman
iloveweather
abayoumi21
bloc1357
Smarnold
obsessedwithweather
Sparky Sparticles
WOLVES1
heehaw453
2004blackwrx
Brookster
bluebythec
roccuweather
dsvinos
frank 638
hyde345
keliza52
bobjohnsonforthehall
LowestRug
Snow88
snowlover78
GreyBeard
essexcountypete
Phooey
SkiSeadooJoe
Math23x7
Taffy
snow247
SoulSingMG
pdubz
SNOW MAN
WeatherBob
Aiosamoney21
snowday111
BSH112185
jimv45
nutleyblizzard
Quietace
mikeypizano
sroc4
crippo84
sabamfa
Joe Snow
dkodgis
Ereese
knhenry9
jake732
Scullybutcher
Ekhalikar
JackShephard
amugs
devsman
track17
skinsfan1177
lglickman1
EnyapWeather
Sanchize06
Fededle22
Radz
LB3147
hurrysundown23
docstox12
Vinnydula
New Yorker 234
weatherwatchermom
CPcantmeasuresnow
mmanisca
oldtimer
algae888
rb924119
Dtone
Mac003
jmanley32
Armando Salvadore
petep1000
Dunnzoo
Grselig
DAYBLAZER
aiannone
nujerzeedevil
billg315
RJB8525
Frank_Wx
94 posters

Page 1 of 40 1, 2, 3 ... 20 ... 40  Next

Go down

*Roidzilla 2017* - Final Call Snow Map / Observations Empty *Roidzilla 2017* - Final Call Snow Map / Observations

Post by Frank_Wx Mon Mar 13, 2017 6:29 pm

Good Afternoon -

A powerful Roidzilla is set to bring blizzard conditions to our region. Snow is expected to begin between 10pm-12am tonight and taper off between 2-3pm (NYC Metro) and 4-6pm elsewhere. If you wish to learn more about this system, please visit my blog where I did a write-up a couple of days ago.

http://njstrongweather.blogspot.com/2017/03/possible-roidzilla-brewing.html

I feel fairly confident the low pressure center will take a track just off the Jersey coastline. As a result, snow will change to sleet/rain for portions of the coast, NYC, and Long Island but by the time temperatures warm up there may not be precipitation left to fall. Reasons being the 700mb low is forecasted to track over our area which suggests the dry slot from the low level center may track over this area. Fortunately, the 850mb low is expected to remain off the coast so temperatures will not warm too drastically. The coastline will receive a heavy thump of snow and should not take this storm lightly when factoring in the 60-70mph wind gusts that are possible. The jackpot will end up N&W of NYC. Those in the red shaded areas could see in excess of 30 inches of snow. The 700mb frontogenesis is off the charts, the surface low is tracking along the coast so the best banding will be over you, and cold temps and lighter winds could raise your ratios to 13:1 at some point.

*Roidzilla 2017* - Final Call Snow Map / Observations Final_10

Here is my final call snow map. I hope everyone stays safe and enjoys the storm. I will be posting periodically throughout the night. At this point, I am no longer watching models (besides the short range such as RAP/HRRR/WRF) and trusting the consensus track. I am mindful of the fact a track slightly east of guidance would push my snow amounts S&E. You should be mindful of that too. Sometimes large storm systems like these have a mind of their own. And it may not take much. Nowcasting this beast will be a GREAT time!

Get the vino and nutella. It's going to be a long night!

CLICK HERE to view NJ Strong Snowstorm Classifications
Frank_Wx
Frank_Wx
Godzilla Seeker
Godzilla Seeker

http://njstrongweather.blogspot.com/

Back to top Go down

*Roidzilla 2017* - Final Call Snow Map / Observations Empty Re: *Roidzilla 2017* - Final Call Snow Map / Observations

Post by RJB8525 Mon Mar 13, 2017 6:30 pm

Thank you! Awesome​ work as usual much appreciated
RJB8525
RJB8525
Senior Enthusiast
Senior Enthusiast

Back to top Go down

*Roidzilla 2017* - Final Call Snow Map / Observations Empty Re: *Roidzilla 2017* - Final Call Snow Map / Observations

Post by billg315 Mon Mar 13, 2017 6:33 pm

Good work Frank. Now its time for nowcasting.
billg315
billg315
Advanced Forecaster - Mod

Back to top Go down

Post by nujerzeedevil Mon Mar 13, 2017 6:36 pm

Well done and thank you Frank.
nujerzeedevil
nujerzeedevil

Back to top Go down

Post by billg315 Mon Mar 13, 2017 6:40 pm

Just looking at the radar the storm seems to be starting to take shape off the Carolina coast. There is an area of rain and snow in Maryland running out ahead of the main system which could be here by 10 p.m. if it holds together.
billg315
billg315

Back to top Go down

Post by aiannone Mon Mar 13, 2017 6:40 pm

HRRR is very cold

Senior Enthusiast - Mod
Senior Enthusiast - Mod

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Mon Mar 13, 2017 6:41 pm

Frank any comment on why the NWs official forecast puts the low JUST west of the BM after it goes east of VA Beach and 100 miles east of Atlantic City. Curious. I trust YOU I've just never seen a case where your totals are lower than the NWS

Thanks
James

Back to top Go down

Post by DAYBLAZER Mon Mar 13, 2017 6:43 pm

Frank--

Obviously love the map as I find myself happily tucked into the center of that red zone here in the hills of Hopatcong, NJ, I just want to thank you for the thrilling ride that has been the past week. You really have kept this place buzzing and have been very helpful answering all the questions from amateur snow weenies like myself.

Cheers! (New Belgium DayBlazer for me-- good beer!)

Everyone enjoy the storm.
DAYBLAZER
DAYBLAZER

Back to top Go down

Post by Frank_Wx Mon Mar 13, 2017 6:44 pm

syosnow94 wrote:Frank any comment on why the NWs official forecast puts the low JUST west of the BM after it goes east of VA Beach and 100 miles east of Atlantic City.  Curious.  I trust YOU I've just never seen a case where your totals are lower than the NWS

Thanks
James

Since there is a 500mb closed vort to our west, it's acting as a pivot and tracking the surface low due north instead of northeast like most of our coastals. Also, the 250mb jet streak is placed in such a way to promote more northerly movement. But again, this is not set in stone yet. Any variations in track more northeast could mean a huge difference in snow totals, especially for eastern NJ/NYC.

Frank_Wx
Frank_Wx
Godzilla Seeker
Godzilla Seeker

Back to top Go down

Post by Grselig Mon Mar 13, 2017 6:45 pm

Thanks!!!
Grselig
Grselig
Senior Enthusiast
Senior Enthusiast

Back to top Go down

Post by Frank_Wx Mon Mar 13, 2017 6:45 pm

DAYBLAZER wrote:Frank--

Obviously love the map as I find myself happily tucked into the center of that red zone here in the hills of Hopatcong, NJ, I just want to thank you for the thrilling ride that has been the past week. You really have kept this place buzzing and have been very helpful answering all the questions from amateur snow weenies like myself.

Cheers! (New Belgium DayBlazer for me-- good beer!)

Everyone enjoy the storm.

Thank you. I work in Hackettstown, not far from you. Enjoy the storm.

Frank_Wx
Frank_Wx
Godzilla Seeker
Godzilla Seeker

Back to top Go down

Post by Frank_Wx Mon Mar 13, 2017 6:46 pm

RJB8525 wrote:Thank you! Awesome​ work as usual much appreciated

billg315 wrote:Good work Frank. Now its time for nowcasting.

nujerzeedevil wrote:Well done and thank you Frank.

No problem!

aiannone wrote:HRRR is very cold

It already has a foot of snow in eastern PA by 9am. I have a feeling this will be a quick mover. We'll see

Frank_Wx
Frank_Wx
Godzilla Seeker
Godzilla Seeker

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Mon Mar 13, 2017 6:47 pm

Frank_Wx wrote:
syosnow94 wrote:Frank any comment on why the NWs official forecast puts the low JUST west of the BM after it goes east of VA Beach and 100 miles east of Atlantic City.  Curious.  I trust YOU I've just never seen a case where your totals are lower than the NWS

Thanks
James

Since there is a 500mb closed vort to our west, it's acting as a pivot and tracking the surface low due north instead of northeast like most of our coastals. Also, the 250mb jet streak is placed in such a way to promote more northerly movement. But again, this is not set in stone yet. Any variations in track more northeast could mean a huge difference in snow totals, especially for eastern NJ/NYC.

I totally get that. If we do, I'm sure they do which is why I'm confused about their track. They have it moving due north offshore of Virginia and well offshore of Atlantic City then hooking back towards Cape Cod from the BM. 150 miles different than what we are discussing. Crazy no??

Back to top Go down

Post by aiannone Mon Mar 13, 2017 6:48 pm

*Roidzilla 2017* - Final Call Snow Map / Observations 17240510
Cold HRRR

Senior Enthusiast - Mod
Senior Enthusiast - Mod

Back to top Go down

Post by aiannone Mon Mar 13, 2017 6:50 pm

I went shopping and got beer, wine, milk, cookies, Ben and Jerry's American Dream and ingredients for a rum and coke. Im ready. Binghamton better close tmw!

Senior Enthusiast - Mod
Senior Enthusiast - Mod

Back to top Go down

Post by Dunnzoo Mon Mar 13, 2017 6:54 pm

aiannone wrote:I went shopping and got beer, wine, milk, cookies, Ben and Jerry's American Dream and ingredients for a rum and coke. Im ready. Binghamton better close tmw!

My daughter went and got cookie dough to make cookies! Me, beer and Irish Mist acquired Thursday night to beat the rush! Going to be fun trying to verify snowfall rates, no sleep for me!

Great job everyone! Let's just relax and see what unfolds for everyone. I have not looked at the models all day, at this point it is what it is. (Yeah, easy for me to say since I am in a pretty good spot this time!) but no sense making yourself crazy over ticks in model runs. Enjoy whatever mother nature brings you tomorrow!

Last edited by Dunnzoo on Mon Mar 13, 2017 6:57 pm; edited 1 time in total

Snowfall winter of 2023-2024  17.5"    

Snowfall winter of 2022-2023       6.0"
Snowfall winter of 2021-2022     17.6"    1" sleet 2/25/22
Snowfall winter of 2020-2021     51.1"
Snowfall winter of 2019-2020       8.5"
Snowfall winter of 2018-2019     25.1"
Snowfall winter of 2017-2018     51.9"
Snowfall winter of 2016-2017     45.6"
Snowfall winter of 2015-2016     29.5"
Snowfall winter of 2014-2015     50.55"
Snowfall winter of 2013-2014     66.5"
Dunnzoo
Dunnzoo
Senior Enthusiast - Mod
Senior Enthusiast - Mod

Back to top Go down

Post by petep1000 Mon Mar 13, 2017 6:54 pm

And now we drink.......
petep1000
petep1000

Back to top Go down

Post by Armando Salvadore Mon Mar 13, 2017 6:58 pm

Great map and reasoning Frank. Been noticing meso models been bringing that H7 low further inland, but do keep the 850mb low just offshore. The one way some can be saved from mixing with sleet IF it occurs, is if the mesoscale banding sets up over the area, which would dynamically and rapidly cool the column. I'm watching these dew points right now and man i tell ya, it literally reflects the late January standards. Impressive!
Armando Salvadore
Armando Salvadore
Advanced Forecaster
Advanced Forecaster

Back to top Go down

Post by aiannone Mon Mar 13, 2017 6:59 pm

Dunnzoo wrote:
aiannone wrote:I went shopping and got beer, wine, milk, cookies, Ben and Jerry's American Dream and ingredients for a rum and coke. Im ready. Binghamton better close tmw!

My daughter went and got cookie dough to make cookies! Me, beer and Irish Mist acquired Thursday night to beat the rush! Going to be fun trying to verify snowfall rates, no sleep for me!

Great job everyone! Let's just relax and see what unfolds for everyone. I have not looked at the models all day, at this point it is what it is. (Yeah, easy for me to say since I am in a pretty good spot this time!) but no sense making yourself crazy over ticks in model runs. Enjoy whatever mother nature brings you tomorrow!
Sounds good too! I will be up much of the night as well! Expecting 10-20" here in BGM

Senior Enthusiast - Mod
Senior Enthusiast - Mod

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Mon Mar 13, 2017 7:00 pm

*Roidzilla 2017* - Final Call Snow Map / Observations Img_0310

This??

Back to top Go down

Post by jmanley32 Mon Mar 13, 2017 7:01 pm

Frank I'm happy with ur map but why the little sliver of southern westchester out of the red thats all of one maybe two very small towns over from me and the line is on a diagonal. Also are we expect thundersnow? U have not discussed that. The wind will b bad and I'm expect power outages for southern westchester is that included in ur 60 to 70 mph wind area? Thanks so much for all this grabbing some beer as well and gonna try stay up.lol.
jmanley32
jmanley32
Senior Enthusiast
Senior Enthusiast

Back to top Go down

Post by DAYBLAZER Mon Mar 13, 2017 7:01 pm

So this is the part where we drink and watch the short range models//our windows?
DAYBLAZER
DAYBLAZER

Back to top Go down

Post by Mac003 Mon Mar 13, 2017 7:04 pm

Frank Great map, but what is the right hand column next to your predictions

Mac003

Back to top Go down

Post by Dtone Mon Mar 13, 2017 7:05 pm

That gradient near the coast is gonna be fun (or torture) to watch.
Like Lee was saying it could potentially go from 9 to 20" within NYC limits.

Dtone
Wx Statistician Guru
Wx Statistician Guru

Back to top Go down

Post by Frank_Wx Mon Mar 13, 2017 7:05 pm

jmanley32 wrote:Frank I'm happy with ur map but why the little sliver of southern westchester out of the red thats all of one maybe two very small towns over from me and the line is on a diagonal. Also are we expect thundersnow? U have not discussed that. The wind will b bad and I'm expect power outages for southern westchester is that included in ur 60 to 70 mph wind area? Thanks so much for all this grabbing some beer as well and gonna try stay up.lol.

On second look I probably would include all of Westchester and northern half of Bronx in the red. It's hard to look at every county with these snow maps.

Frank_Wx
Frank_Wx
Godzilla Seeker
Godzilla Seeker

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 1 of 40 1, 2, 3 ... 20 ... 40  Next

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum