Wx Banter Thread 2.0

Page 31 of 41 Previous  1 ... 17 ... 30, 31, 32 ... 36 ... 41  Next

Go down

Re: Wx Banter Thread 2.0

Post by billg315 on Sun Feb 11, 2018 9:38 am

CPcantmeasuresnow wrote:
billg315 wrote:Another random topic (sorry I’m in a random mood today, lol): Am I the only one who is interested in non-snow events? Lol. Don’t get me wrong, my favorite weather are snowstorms because they’re the most fun(and challenging) to track and to watch out my window. But today’s rain event is pretty interesting to track on radar. I know it’s not what we want in February but watching these heavy radar echos roll through one after another this morning is somewhat (at least to me) impressive.

I'm curious if a Chief Justice can be impeached?

Being interested in non-snow events in the middle of June let's say I don't think is impeachable, Lauding heavy radar echoes bringing torrential rain in February that my friend is sick. I won't consider this impeachable but I do think you need a good month under the care of Docstox and Syos.

LMAO. Call it Stockholm Syndrome. You start sympathizing with your captives (in this case rain). Maybe I do need treatment.
avatar
billg315
Advanced Forecaster - Mod
Advanced Forecaster - Mod

Posts : 2194
Reputation : 114
Join date : 2015-01-24
Age : 44
Location : Somerville, NJ

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: Wx Banter Thread 2.0

Post by docstox12 on Sun Feb 11, 2018 10:05 am

CPcantmeasuresnow wrote:
billg315 wrote:Another random topic (sorry I’m in a random mood today, lol): Am I the only one who is interested in non-snow events? Lol. Don’t get me wrong, my favorite weather are snowstorms because they’re the most fun(and challenging) to track and to watch out my window. But today’s rain event is pretty interesting to track on radar. I know it’s not what we want in February but watching these heavy radar echos roll through one after another this morning is somewhat (at least to me) impressive.

I'm curious if a Chief Justice can be impeached?

Being interested in non-snow events in the middle of June let's say I don't think is impeachable, Lauding heavy radar echoes bringing torrential rain in February that my friend is sick. I won't consider this impeachable but I do think you need a good month under the care of Docstox and Syos.

lol! lol! lol!
Friggin hilarious!!!

I think we will let Aresian throw a party for billg, that ought to solve this problem!
avatar
docstox12
Wx Statistician Guru
Wx Statistician Guru

Posts : 6133
Reputation : 95
Join date : 2013-01-07
Age : 67
Location : Monroe NY

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: Wx Banter Thread 2.0

Post by docstox12 on Sun Feb 11, 2018 10:12 am

Doc's great post in the Long Range thread just goes to show that the weather is very fickle and changeable.My fears for the rest of the winter started after the extremely cold period we had.One of the few good things about getting old is you have a bigger data base to draw upon.Mine is the 1960-1961 winter where after 3 huge snowstorms and and extended subfreezing period, the pattern flipped early February to mild and rainy.There was barely an inch of snow for the rest of the season.That's "MEAN" reversion at it's worst.I was afraid this would happen this year.If the patterns bust out and don't produce, well, that is what is meant to be.No way I'm giving up because snow can come at the least expected time until the end of March.The Long Range forecasters on our board work very hard and I , for one, appreciate all their hard work.However, let's all realize that this is an inexact science at this juncture.There are so many variables that come into play.Perhaps someday the various weather models will become more efficient.
avatar
docstox12
Wx Statistician Guru
Wx Statistician Guru

Posts : 6133
Reputation : 95
Join date : 2013-01-07
Age : 67
Location : Monroe NY

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: Wx Banter Thread 2.0

Post by billg315 on Sun Feb 11, 2018 10:55 am

docstox12 wrote:
CPcantmeasuresnow wrote:
billg315 wrote:Another random topic (sorry I’m in a random mood today, lol): Am I the only one who is interested in non-snow events? Lol. Don’t get me wrong, my favorite weather are snowstorms because they’re the most fun(and challenging) to track and to watch out my window. But today’s rain event is pretty interesting to track on radar. I know it’s not what we want in February but watching these heavy radar echos roll through one after another this morning is somewhat (at least to me) impressive.

I'm curious if a Chief Justice can be impeached?

Being interested in non-snow events in the middle of June let's say I don't think is impeachable, Lauding heavy radar echoes bringing torrential rain in February that my friend is sick. I won't consider this impeachable but I do think you need a good month under the care of Docstox and Syos.

lol! lol! lol!
Friggin hilarious!!!

I think we will let Aresian throw a party for billg, that ought to solve this problem!
Ah yes. A party in the Coconut Lounge will shake away my fleeting fascination with this rain stuff. lol.
avatar
billg315
Advanced Forecaster - Mod
Advanced Forecaster - Mod

Posts : 2194
Reputation : 114
Join date : 2015-01-24
Age : 44
Location : Somerville, NJ

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: Wx Banter Thread 2.0

Post by docstox12 on Sun Feb 11, 2018 12:13 pm

billg315 wrote:
docstox12 wrote:
CPcantmeasuresnow wrote:
billg315 wrote:Another random topic (sorry I’m in a random mood today, lol): Am I the only one who is interested in non-snow events? Lol. Don’t get me wrong, my favorite weather are snowstorms because they’re the most fun(and challenging) to track and to watch out my window. But today’s rain event is pretty interesting to track on radar. I know it’s not what we want in February but watching these heavy radar echos roll through one after another this morning is somewhat (at least to me) impressive.

I'm curious if a Chief Justice can be impeached?

Being interested in non-snow events in the middle of June let's say I don't think is impeachable, Lauding heavy radar echoes bringing torrential rain in February that my friend is sick. I won't consider this impeachable but I do think you need a good month under the care of Docstox and Syos.

lol! lol! lol!
Friggin hilarious!!!

I think we will let Aresian throw a party for billg, that ought to solve this problem!
Ah yes. A party in the Coconut Lounge will shake away my fleeting fascination with this rain stuff. lol.

Billg, here is the guy next to you drinking and your bartender at the Coconut Lounge.It'll cure what ails ya ,Pal!!!!!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8d8V7vMPHLc
avatar
docstox12
Wx Statistician Guru
Wx Statistician Guru

Posts : 6133
Reputation : 95
Join date : 2013-01-07
Age : 67
Location : Monroe NY

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: Wx Banter Thread 2.0

Post by billg315 on Sun Feb 11, 2018 12:19 pm

docstox12 wrote:
billg315 wrote:
docstox12 wrote:
CPcantmeasuresnow wrote:
billg315 wrote:Another random topic (sorry I’m in a random mood today, lol): Am I the only one who is interested in non-snow events? Lol. Don’t get me wrong, my favorite weather are snowstorms because they’re the most fun(and challenging) to track and to watch out my window. But today’s rain event is pretty interesting to track on radar. I know it’s not what we want in February but watching these heavy radar echos roll through one after another this morning is somewhat (at least to me) impressive.

I'm curious if a Chief Justice can be impeached?

Being interested in non-snow events in the middle of June let's say I don't think is impeachable, Lauding heavy radar echoes bringing torrential rain in February that my friend is sick. I won't consider this impeachable but I do think you need a good month under the care of Docstox and Syos.

lol! lol! lol!
Friggin hilarious!!!

I think we will let Aresian throw a party for billg, that ought to solve this problem!
Ah yes. A party in the Coconut Lounge will shake away my fleeting fascination with this rain stuff. lol.

Billg, here is the guy next to you drinking and your bartender at the Coconut Lounge.It'll cure what ails ya ,Pal!!!!!
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8d8V7vMPHLc

Lmao! lol!
avatar
billg315
Advanced Forecaster - Mod
Advanced Forecaster - Mod

Posts : 2194
Reputation : 114
Join date : 2015-01-24
Age : 44
Location : Somerville, NJ

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: Wx Banter Thread 2.0

Post by CPcantmeasuresnow on Sun Feb 11, 2018 12:23 pm

To the Administrators.

I was wondering if we could get a like button on this forum?

I see it as serving two purposes, one is often times I like what someone wrote, for example a thorough analysis by Sroc, Frank, RB, Mugs etc but I don't want to post my appreciation of it and have it moved down in the pecking order so others may not see it.

The other reason is it can let posters know if people are reading their posts that don't care to comment very often.

I'm curious what anyone else thinks, and also I'm obviously bored with this pattern otherwise why would I even bring up this topic.
avatar
CPcantmeasuresnow
Wx Statistician Guru
Wx Statistician Guru

Posts : 5801
Reputation : 133
Join date : 2013-01-07
Age : 56
Location : Eastern Orange County, NY - OTI Sector 4

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: Wx Banter Thread 2.0

Post by TheAresian on Sun Feb 11, 2018 12:59 pm

I'll set up a party in the lounge. We'll have drinking games and a coconut cannon, but only after a proper retrieval method is figured out. I wouldn't want to damage the economy. We might be able to find some other forms of entertainment if you're willing to lower your standards enough.
avatar
TheAresian
Pro Enthusiast
Pro Enthusiast

Posts : 739
Reputation : 41
Join date : 2014-03-07
Location : Painted Post NY

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: Wx Banter Thread 2.0

Post by CPcantmeasuresnow on Sun Feb 11, 2018 2:43 pm

TheAresian wrote:I'll set up a party in the lounge. We'll have drinking games and a coconut cannon, but only after a proper retrieval method is figured out. I wouldn't want to damage the economy. We might be able to find some other forms of entertainment if you're willing to lower your standards enough.

Like [X]checkmark
avatar
CPcantmeasuresnow
Wx Statistician Guru
Wx Statistician Guru

Posts : 5801
Reputation : 133
Join date : 2013-01-07
Age : 56
Location : Eastern Orange County, NY - OTI Sector 4

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: Wx Banter Thread 2.0

Post by syosnow94 on Sun Feb 11, 2018 4:05 pm

TheAresian wrote:I'll set up a party in the lounge. We'll have drinking games and a coconut cannon, but only after a proper retrieval method is figured out. I wouldn't want to damage the economy. We might be able to find some other forms of entertainment if you're willing to lower your standards enough.
Since I’ve become pretty “close” with Farmer Jones daughters I will ask them to pole dance for the party. They’ll ride in on their donkey and put on a show. I’ll be blacked out at the end of the bar
avatar
syosnow94
Senior Enthusiast
Senior Enthusiast

Posts : 3573
Reputation : 129
Join date : 2014-11-24
Age : 46
Location : OTI DIRECTOR OF MENTAL HEALTH

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: Wx Banter Thread 2.0

Post by Grselig on Sun Feb 11, 2018 6:21 pm

It really is frustrating that in Feb we get special statements about fog and floods. I also hate the brush Fire summer statement. This is a bad winter for many of us. The Eagles won. We need some surprise snow to calm frayed nerves. Things could change suddenly. We’ve seen March and even April snows. No science behind it. If not life goes on and next winter arrives with fresh hope.

Like the idea of a like button.
avatar
Grselig
Pro Enthusiast
Pro Enthusiast

Posts : 854
Reputation : 56
Join date : 2013-03-04
Age : 48
Location : Wayne NJ

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: Wx Banter Thread 2.0

Post by CPcantmeasuresnow on Sun Feb 11, 2018 7:10 pm

Grselig wrote:It really is frustrating that in Feb we get special statements about fog and floods. I also hate the brush Fire summer statement.    This is a bad winter for many of us.  The Eagles won.   We need some surprise snow to calm frayed nerves.  Things could change suddenly.     We’ve seen March and even April snows.   No science behind it.   If not life goes on and next winter arrives with fresh hope.  

Like the idea of a like button.  

Like [X]
avatar
CPcantmeasuresnow
Wx Statistician Guru
Wx Statistician Guru

Posts : 5801
Reputation : 133
Join date : 2013-01-07
Age : 56
Location : Eastern Orange County, NY - OTI Sector 4

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: Wx Banter Thread 2.0

Post by Math23x7 on Sun Feb 11, 2018 11:57 pm

This is something I have mentioned many times before but six years ago today (2/11/12), after several weeks of hoping for a pattern change in what had been an awful winter, it looked like we would get a snowstorm containing several inches of snow.  As it turns out, it ended up being just flurries for much of the region.  This YouTube video from the Weather Channel's Local on the 8s from Long Island illustrates that as well as a warm up the following week (it starts at 0:17 in the video):



Not only that, when I got home from work that day, I went onto the now-defunct 7-online chat board and saw the post from Frank stating that he had thrown in the towel on the 2011-12 winter and that we were done with the snow.  As depressing as that was, it was reality.

Given the pattern coming up, I wonder if Frank feels the same way he did six years ago.  I can't speak for him or anyone else but sadly, If I were in Frank's shoes, I would post just that.  Yes, I posted something the other day regarding a potential model correction but as it turns out, that "missing" cold air will end up going to the Rockies and not the East Coast.  And there is no telling if we will indeed get back to snowy conditions.  For all I know, it's not out of the question there will be no more accumulating snow for NYC until late-2018. Sad

Math23x7
Wx Statistician Guru
Wx Statistician Guru

Posts : 2115
Reputation : 46
Join date : 2013-01-08

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: Wx Banter Thread 2.0

Post by Frank_Wx on Mon Feb 12, 2018 10:11 am

My latest thoughts are posted in the LR thread. My ask is members be respectful to one another. I know people, myself included, gave hope that February would turn out to be wintry by mid month and latest forecasts show otherwise. But that does not give reason to begin bashing the forecasters on this forum. It has not been a great winter in my book but most people in the Tri-State (except N&W of NYC) are near their seasonal averages. Above normal snowfall winters are not easy to come by. Keep that in mind!

_________________
Snow Accumulation Archive - Cranford, NJ
2013-2014: 62.1"
2014-2015: 56.0"
2015-2016: 34.0"
2016-2017: 31.5"
2017-2018: 35"

________________________________________________________________________________________________________
CLICK HERE to view NJ Strong Snowstorm Classifications
avatar
Frank_Wx
Godzilla Seeker
Godzilla Seeker

Posts : 18185
Reputation : 245
Join date : 2013-01-05
Age : 26
Location : Cranford, NJ

View user profile http://njstrongweather.blogspot.com/

Back to top Go down

Re: Wx Banter Thread 2.0

Post by frank 638 on Mon Feb 12, 2018 7:11 pm

on this day 12 years ago we had a major blizzard .on that day we had snowfall rates anywhere from 3 to 5 inches of snow per hour and the best thing about that storm was the band just moved very slowly from east to west .when the storm was over i ended up with 27 inches of snow with very high snow drifts what a great storm .what was ur memories of the blizzard of 2006

frank 638
Pro Enthusiast
Pro Enthusiast

Posts : 1710
Reputation : 14
Join date : 2016-01-01
Age : 34
Location : bronx ny

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: Wx Banter Thread 2.0

Post by NjWeatherGuy on Tue Feb 13, 2018 12:22 am

So pardon my absence, been excited and partying most of the last week due to my lifelong football team's first superbowl win! In addition, a relatively crappy pattern (for snow) that looks to persist for the next few weeks. Got about 2 T-0.5" nuisance events in the time since. Though from my travels to mountainous W-VA and north Jersey some of you got some more substantial snow.

This has been the weirdest year I can remember. Extremely bitter, cold and snowy December, and warmer and rainy January and February (so far). Also the Eagles beating the Pats in the Superbowl (sorry, had to!) It seems that everything has been @ss backwards this season! Hope we can at least squeeze a last big snow in March, as rest of Feb looks pretty dreary.

But it wouldn't suprise me, in fact I expect another reversal of pattern around then due to the legnth of our current pattern, as these things tend to be cyclical. We could even have a very cold and snowy March, but until we see signs of a big pattern change (would probably expect to see signs on the LR GFS in the next couple weeks or even days) I'll keep my expectations conservative.

Have a good night!
avatar
NjWeatherGuy
Advanced Forecaster
Advanced Forecaster

Posts : 4100
Reputation : 28
Join date : 2013-01-06
Location : Belle Mead, NJ

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: Wx Banter Thread 2.0

Post by docstox12 on Tue Feb 13, 2018 6:36 am

frank 638 wrote:on this day 12 years ago we had a major blizzard .on that day we had snowfall rates anywhere from 3 to 5 inches of snow per hour and the best thing about that storm was the band just moved very slowly from east to west .when the storm was over i ended up with 27 inches of snow with very high snow drifts what a great storm .what was ur memories of the blizzard of 2006

I was living in Mahwah NJ, right on the western boundary of the heavy band and got 18 inches.Great storm.I think it started late Saturday afternoon, and when I woke up Sunday, there was the 18 inches.Again, areas to my East got much more snow out of this one.I think the temps were on the cold side, in the mid 20's.Had a Buddy who was in Manhattan at the time right under that heavy band that refused to budge.The storm broke the December 1947 snowstorm for the most snow in Manhattan, quite a historical event!
avatar
docstox12
Wx Statistician Guru
Wx Statistician Guru

Posts : 6133
Reputation : 95
Join date : 2013-01-07
Age : 67
Location : Monroe NY

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: Wx Banter Thread 2.0

Post by NjWeatherGuy on Tue Feb 13, 2018 6:55 am

frank 638 wrote:on this day 12 years ago we had a major blizzard .on that day we had snowfall rates anywhere from 3 to 5 inches of snow per hour and the best thing about that storm was the band just moved very slowly from east to west .when the storm was over i ended up with 27 inches of snow with very high snow drifts what a great storm .what was ur memories of the blizzard of 2006

I was a preteen at the time. Shortly after I got into forecasting. Vaguely remember watching either JB or HM or both on the old Accuwx site and watching TWC reports. My area was in the thick of it, nearly 2 feet. I remember digging holes and making snow forts in the snow. Trudging through huge drifts nearly waist high and attempting to sled with some friends. After hours (it felt like) we got an area of the snow packed down enough. Great memories, man I wish I was a kid during 2016, would have been insane.
avatar
NjWeatherGuy
Advanced Forecaster
Advanced Forecaster

Posts : 4100
Reputation : 28
Join date : 2013-01-06
Location : Belle Mead, NJ

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: Wx Banter Thread 2.0

Post by sroc4 on Tue Feb 13, 2018 4:55 pm

I will be working on a like button. I like the idea too

_________________
"Go hug a human, not a weather model"
“Optimism is great, but cautious optimism is more realistic”
WINTER 2012/2013 SNOW TOTALS 43.65"
WINTER 2013/2014 SNOW TOTALS 64.85"
WINTER 2014/2015 SNOW TOTALS 71.20"
WINTER 2015/2016 SNOW TOTALS  35.00"
WINTER 2016/2017 SNOW TOTALS 42.25"
WINTER 2017/2018 SNOW TOTALS 62.85"
Dec 09th 2.75" (prev year's first snowfall Dec 11th coating)
Dec 14th 2.5"
Dec 15th 2.8"
Dec 30th 2.0"
Jan 4th 12"
Jan 29th-30th* 7.8"
March 7th-8th 9.2"
March 12th-13th 6"
March 20th-22nd 11.8"
April 2nd 6"
avatar
sroc4
Admin
Admin

Posts : 5682
Reputation : 169
Join date : 2013-01-07
Location : Wading River, LI

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: Wx Banter Thread 2.0

Post by Grselig on Wed Feb 14, 2018 10:44 am

CP You are a genius. More like Super Genius. Wile Coyote level stuff. Do you own stock in ACME. That "like" feature that Frank just implemented is a game changer. The threat of snow has increased since your idea last week. (it also helps that my sick 6 year old is watching a Godzilla Marathon on DVD for the past 2 days).
avatar
Grselig
Pro Enthusiast
Pro Enthusiast

Posts : 854
Reputation : 56
Join date : 2013-03-04
Age : 48
Location : Wayne NJ

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: Wx Banter Thread 2.0

Post by billg315 on Wed Feb 14, 2018 11:10 am

I like this like button. In fact, I like it so much I'm going to like my own post (if I can).

Dammit I can't like my own post. lol Laughing
avatar
billg315
Advanced Forecaster - Mod
Advanced Forecaster - Mod

Posts : 2194
Reputation : 114
Join date : 2015-01-24
Age : 44
Location : Somerville, NJ

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: Wx Banter Thread 2.0

Post by Grselig on Wed Feb 14, 2018 11:15 am

billg315 wrote:I like this like button. In fact, I like it so much I'm going to like my own post (if I can).

Dammit I can't like my own post. lol Laughing

Damn shame it can be used only once. I'd like to "L" some things lots of times. Some posts, like this one, deserve a double like!
avatar
Grselig
Pro Enthusiast
Pro Enthusiast

Posts : 854
Reputation : 56
Join date : 2013-03-04
Age : 48
Location : Wayne NJ

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: Wx Banter Thread 2.0

Post by CPcantmeasuresnow on Wed Feb 14, 2018 11:49 am

I'm getting greedy now but the next step is I'd like to be able to see who liked my post or any other post for that matter.

I may be reaching for the stars here but I'm a dreamer.

With that said I do love [X] the new like feature.
avatar
CPcantmeasuresnow
Wx Statistician Guru
Wx Statistician Guru

Posts : 5801
Reputation : 133
Join date : 2013-01-07
Age : 56
Location : Eastern Orange County, NY - OTI Sector 4

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: Wx Banter Thread 2.0

Post by Grselig on Wed Feb 14, 2018 12:00 pm

BillG315 "The surest bet that there will be significant snow in central and north Jersey and points north is that I will be at the shore in South Jersey this weekend for a polar plunge event. This almost guarantees there will be a half foot of snow in my backyard this Sunday while I'm not there (and probably that it will melt before I get home), while it rains in South Jersey."


Then the only possible course of action for you is to hop on a Greyhound to South Jersey. I'll be nice down in those parts with a good warm rain that will do your soul good.
avatar
Grselig
Pro Enthusiast
Pro Enthusiast

Posts : 854
Reputation : 56
Join date : 2013-03-04
Age : 48
Location : Wayne NJ

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: Wx Banter Thread 2.0

Post by CPcantmeasuresnow on Wed Feb 14, 2018 12:03 pm

Grselig wrote:CP  You are a genius.   More like Super Genius.   Wile Coyote level stuff.  Do you own stock in ACME.  That "like" feature that Frank just implemented is a game changer.  The threat of snow has increased since your idea last week.  (it also helps that my sick 6 year old is watching a Godzilla Marathon on DVD for the past 2 days).

Desperate times called for desperate measures.

I was thinking of retracting Orange Othelias apocalyptic prognostication if things don't improve within the week. I found additional quatrains that are eye opening to say the least.
avatar
CPcantmeasuresnow
Wx Statistician Guru
Wx Statistician Guru

Posts : 5801
Reputation : 133
Join date : 2013-01-07
Age : 56
Location : Eastern Orange County, NY - OTI Sector 4

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: Wx Banter Thread 2.0

Post by Sponsored content


Sponsored content


Back to top Go down

Page 31 of 41 Previous  1 ... 17 ... 30, 31, 32 ... 36 ... 41  Next

Back to top

- Similar topics

 
Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum