NJ Strong Weather Forum

Join the forum, it's quick and easy

NJ Strong Weather Forum
NJ Strong Weather Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Snow Measurements 01/04/18 Blizzard

+31
SkiSeadooJoe
mmanisca
bloc1357
Radz
aiannone
weatherwatchermom
oldtimer
tigernumba1
jmanley32
jimv45
abayoumi21
SENJsnowman
larryrock72
WeatherBob
docstox12
Snow88
devsman
Joe Snow
NettWx
Dtone
Quietace
King-Ubas
RJB8525
nutleyblizzard
brownie
hyde345
pdubz
billg315
CPcantmeasuresnow
Dunnzoo
Frank_Wx
35 posters

Page 3 of 3 Previous  1, 2, 3

Go down

Snow Measurements 01/04/18 Blizzard - Page 3 Empty Re: Snow Measurements 01/04/18 Blizzard

Post by docstox12 Sat Jan 06, 2018 2:05 pm

CPcantmeasuresnow wrote:
docstox12 wrote:Agree 100%.I have a 97 year old Mom in Fort Lee, and losing power would be rough.I don't mind 25 mph gusts in a snowstorm but the best snow rate I ever saw when I lived in Mahwah NJ was the February 1983 snowstorm with 3 inch rates for 6 hours straight without any let ups.There was very little wind on that.Wound up with 20 inches on that one.No drifts at all.

Good points all.

Another thing I was made aware of recently is how high winds are a negative to the snow ratios. Most people assume cold temperatures are all that affects ratios but apparently there is a lot more that goes into it than most layman like myself realize. Apparently something it does to the density of the flakes as they fall makes it not accumulate at the same rate as it would through a calmer atmosphere. Another reason not to be a fan of the high winds. Jman?? Rolling Eyes Rolling Eyes

I wonder if any of our experts here like Ryan (ace), Frank, RB, Sroc, Mugs etc could verify if that is true. Even Isotherm should he be lurking I'm sure would know the answer, he might just explain it in a way that I don't understand  Very Happy  Very Happy . JK Isotherm you are da man.

Excellent observation CP, about wind affecting the density of the flakes! This storm there was so much wind, the snow appeared to be like powdered sugar!

docstox12
Wx Statistician Guru
Wx Statistician Guru

Back to top Go down

Snow Measurements 01/04/18 Blizzard - Page 3 Empty Re: Snow Measurements 01/04/18 Blizzard

Post by NjWeatherGuy Sun Jan 07, 2018 1:00 am

CPcantmeasuresnow wrote:
docstox12 wrote:Agree 100%.I have a 97 year old Mom in Fort Lee, and losing power would be rough.I don't mind 25 mph gusts in a snowstorm but the best snow rate I ever saw when I lived in Mahwah 7 NJ was the February 1983 snowstorm with 3 inch rates for 6 hours straight without any let ups.There was very little wind on that.Wound up with 20 inches on that one.No drifts at all.

Good points all.

Another thing I was made aware of recently is how high winds are a negative to the snow ratios. Most people assume cold temperatures are all that affects ratios but apparently there is a lot more that goes into it than most layman like myself realize. Apparently something it does to the density of the flakes as they fall makes it not accumulate at the same rate as it would through a calmer atmosphere. Another reason not to be a fan of the high winds. Jman?? Rolling Eyes Rolling Eyes

I wonder if any of our experts here like Ryan (ace), Frank, RB, Sroc, Mugs etc could verify if that is true. Even Isotherm should he be lurking I'm sure would know the answer, he might just explain it in a way that I don't understand  Very Happy  Very Happy . JK Isotherm you are da man.

Correct, high winds cause the flakes to remain smaller and not pile onto eachother enhancing snow growth. Some of the heaviest snow I remember recently was January 10, 2010, not an incredibly windy storm, but it was a complete whiteout from massive flakes falling extremely heavily. That storm actually began as light rain I believe too.

NjWeatherGuy
Advanced Forecaster
Advanced Forecaster

Back to top Go down

Post by sroc4 Sun Jan 07, 2018 8:19 am

NjWeatherGuy wrote:
CPcantmeasuresnow wrote:
docstox12 wrote:Agree 100%.I have a 97 year old Mom in Fort Lee, and losing power would be rough.I don't mind 25 mph gusts in a snowstorm but the best snow rate I ever saw when I lived in Mahwah 7 NJ was the February 1983 snowstorm with 3 inch rates for 6 hours straight without any let ups.There was very little wind on that.Wound up with 20 inches on that one.No drifts at all.

Good points all.

Correct, high winds cause the flakes to remain smaller and not pile onto eachother enhancing snow growth. Some of the heaviest snow I remember recently was January 10, 2010, not an incredibly windy storm, but it was a complete whiteout from massive flakes falling extremely heavily. That storm actually began as light rain I believe too.

Exactly.  Very simply stated when its really windy during a snow storm the flakes have a tendency to fracture causing the ratio to be less than in calmer conditions.  Think about a bag of Doritos.  Cool Ranch are my favorite.  When the majority of the chips are intact it fills the bag.  If you were to crumble them up there would be less air in between and they would condense or stack more tightly together at the bottom of the bag making it seem "less full" even though its still the same amount of Doritos.  

Of course Nacho cheese are always a classic, but Sweet Chili is also a great change of pace.

WINTER 2014/2015 TOTALS 71.20"WINTER 2019/2020 TOTALS 6.35"
WINTER 2015/2016 TOTALS 35.00"WINTER 2020/2021 TOTALS 37.75"
WINTER 2016/2017 TOTALS 42.25"WINTER 2021/2022 TOTALS 31.65" 
sroc4
sroc4
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Quietace Sun Jan 07, 2018 5:56 pm

sroc4 wrote:
NjWeatherGuy wrote:
CPcantmeasuresnow wrote:

Good points all.

Exactly.  Very simply stated when its really windy during a snow storm the flakes have a tendency to fracture causing the ratio to be less than in calmer conditions.  Think about a bag of Doritos.  Cool Ranch are my favorite.  When the majority of the chips are intact it fills the bag.  If you were to crumble them up there would be less air in between and they would condense or stack more tightly together at the bottom of the bag making it seem "less full" even though its still the same amount of Doritos.  

Of course Nacho cheese are always a classic, but Sweet Chili is also a great change of pace.
Ice crystals grow homogeneously or heterogeneously. Crystal structure is determined by SVP values as well as temperature through the column. In terms of ice crystal growth, they can either grow via riming or collision and coalescence (aggregation) with the latter how you get larger flakes. However, aggregation can be limited in scenarios with excessive winds through the snow growth column....
Quietace
Quietace
Meteorologist - Mod
Meteorologist - Mod

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 3 of 3 Previous  1, 2, 3

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum