January 16th-17th Snow Event

Page 1 of 15 1, 2, 3 ... 8 ... 15  Next

Go down

January 16th-17th Snow Event

Post by Frank_Wx on Mon Jan 15, 2018 7:30 am

Good Morning,

As you likely heard by now we have some snow on the way beginning Tuesday afternoon through Wednesday morning. The GFS shows light snow falling from 2pm Tuesday to 10am Wednesday. It even tries to pop a coastal low to bring about moderate to heavy snow over portions of Long Island and southern New England. Surface temperatures look to be above freezing for the immediate coast, including NYC, but boundary temps are plentiful cold to support snow and not rain or mix. Due to the light intensity of the snow I am not expecting much accumulation on major roadways. Side roads and cold surfaces will get covered, however.

I am thinking 1-3 inches for SNJ, CNJ, and the Jersey Shore. 2-4 inches for LI, NYC, NE NJ. 3-6" is possible for NW NJ, N&W of NYC, and much of east-central and NE PA.

Start time likely to be 11am Tuesday (for NYC, earlier west) with an end time overnight Tuesday.




_________________
Snow Accumulation Archive - Cranford, NJ
2013-2014: 62.1"
2014-2015: 56.0"
2015-2016: 34.0"
2016-2017: 31.5"
2017-2018: 35"

________________________________________________________________________________________________________
CLICK HERE to view NJ Strong Snowstorm Classifications
avatar
Frank_Wx
Godzilla Seeker
Godzilla Seeker

Posts : 18185
Reputation : 245
Join date : 2013-01-05
Age : 26
Location : Cranford, NJ

View user profile http://njstrongweather.blogspot.com/

Back to top Go down

Re: January 16th-17th Snow Event

Post by sroc4 on Mon Jan 15, 2018 8:06 am

Frank LI esp east end needs to watch for mixing issues.  There is a warm nose poking in at 925mb on most models.  how far west is the question.  Euro is the warmest, NAM coldest with GFS kind of inbetween, but leaning colder.  Although you might be correct in that snow across the entire region is possible eastern sections must entertain this possibility of mixing; esp out by me.    






_________________
"Go hug a human, not a weather model"
“Optimism is great, but cautious optimism is more realistic”
WINTER 2012/2013 SNOW TOTALS 43.65"
WINTER 2013/2014 SNOW TOTALS 64.85"
WINTER 2014/2015 SNOW TOTALS 71.20"
WINTER 2015/2016 SNOW TOTALS  35.00"
WINTER 2016/2017 SNOW TOTALS 42.25"
WINTER 2017/2018 SNOW TOTALS 62.85"
Dec 09th 2.75" (prev year's first snowfall Dec 11th coating)
Dec 14th 2.5"
Dec 15th 2.8"
Dec 30th 2.0"
Jan 4th 12"
Jan 29th-30th* 7.8"
March 7th-8th 9.2"
March 12th-13th 6"
March 20th-22nd 11.8"
April 2nd 6"
avatar
sroc4
Admin
Admin

Posts : 5688
Reputation : 169
Join date : 2013-01-07
Location : Wading River, LI

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: January 16th-17th Snow Event

Post by docstox12 on Mon Jan 15, 2018 8:10 am

Frank_Wx wrote:Good Morning,

As you likely heard by now we have some snow on the way beginning Tuesday afternoon through Wednesday morning. The GFS shows light snow falling from 2pm Tuesday to 10am Wednesday. It even tries to pop a coastal low to bring about moderate to heavy snow over portions of Long Island and southern New England. Surface temperatures look to be above freezing for the immediate coast, including NYC, but boundary temps are plentiful cold to support snow and not rain or mix. Due to the light intensity of the snow I am not expecting much accumulation on major roadways. Side roads and cold surfaces will get covered, however.

I am thinking 1-3 inches for SNJ, CNJ, and the Jersey Shore. 2-4 inches for LI, NYC, NE NJ. 3-6" is possible for NW NJ, N&W of NYC, and much of east-central and NE PA.

Start time likely to be 11am Tuesday (for NYC, earlier west) with an end time overnight Tuesday.




Frank, thanks for this new thread and the update!! Looks like the HV might get to 4 inches on this one.Elevation and ratio working for me on this one.
avatar
docstox12
Wx Statistician Guru
Wx Statistician Guru

Posts : 6135
Reputation : 95
Join date : 2013-01-07
Age : 67
Location : Monroe NY

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: January 16th-17th Snow Event

Post by mikeypizano on Mon Jan 15, 2018 8:40 am

As long as it’s not sleet!
avatar
mikeypizano
Pro Enthusiast
Pro Enthusiast

Posts : 826
Reputation : 43
Join date : 2017-01-05
Location : Wilkes-Barre/Scranton, PA

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: January 16th-17th Snow Event

Post by docstox12 on Mon Jan 15, 2018 9:20 am

mikeypizano wrote:As long as it’s not sleet!

Mikey, how did you make out in the last storm? Aresian in west PA got 5.5 inches.
avatar
docstox12
Wx Statistician Guru
Wx Statistician Guru

Posts : 6135
Reputation : 95
Join date : 2013-01-07
Age : 67
Location : Monroe NY

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: January 16th-17th Snow Event

Post by aiannone on Mon Jan 15, 2018 9:32 am

avatar
aiannone
Advanced Forecaster
Advanced Forecaster

Posts : 3532
Reputation : 66
Join date : 2013-01-07
Location : Saint James, LI (Northwest Suffolk Co.)

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: January 16th-17th Snow Event

Post by aiannone on Mon Jan 15, 2018 9:34 am

3k NAM is much colder
avatar
aiannone
Advanced Forecaster
Advanced Forecaster

Posts : 3532
Reputation : 66
Join date : 2013-01-07
Location : Saint James, LI (Northwest Suffolk Co.)

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: January 16th-17th Snow Event

Post by docstox12 on Mon Jan 15, 2018 9:37 am

aiannone wrote:

Wow, much juicier for me in the HV! Maybe what Mugsy posted about JB's 4 to 8 is possible!
avatar
docstox12
Wx Statistician Guru
Wx Statistician Guru

Posts : 6135
Reputation : 95
Join date : 2013-01-07
Age : 67
Location : Monroe NY

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: January 16th-17th Snow Event

Post by amugs on Mon Jan 15, 2018 9:49 am

docstox12 wrote:
aiannone wrote:

Wow, much juicier for me in the HV! Maybe what Mugsy posted about JB's 4 to 8 is possible!

From 33&Rain


_________________
Mugs 
AKA:King: Snow Weenie
Self Proclaimed
WINTER 2014-15 : 55.12" +.02 for 6 coatings (avg. 35")
WINTER 2015-16 Total - 29.8" (Avg 35")
WINTER 2016-17 : 39.5" so far
avatar
amugs
Advanced Forecaster - Mod
Advanced Forecaster - Mod

Posts : 9519
Reputation : 106
Join date : 2013-01-07
Age : 48
Location : Hillsdale,NJ

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: January 16th-17th Snow Event

Post by amugs on Mon Jan 15, 2018 9:53 am

3K NAM

_________________
Mugs 
AKA:King: Snow Weenie
Self Proclaimed
WINTER 2014-15 : 55.12" +.02 for 6 coatings (avg. 35")
WINTER 2015-16 Total - 29.8" (Avg 35")
WINTER 2016-17 : 39.5" so far
avatar
amugs
Advanced Forecaster - Mod
Advanced Forecaster - Mod

Posts : 9519
Reputation : 106
Join date : 2013-01-07
Age : 48
Location : Hillsdale,NJ

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: January 16th-17th Snow Event

Post by jmanley32 on Mon Jan 15, 2018 10:04 am

Im confused sci says 17th but you guys are taking tomorrow and wed the 16th and 17th? I have drive back home from eastern CT tomorrow should I head back tonight or will the trip go ok?
avatar
jmanley32
Senior Enthusiast
Senior Enthusiast

Posts : 14833
Reputation : 64
Join date : 2013-12-12
Age : 37
Location : Yonkers, NY

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: January 16th-17th Snow Event

Post by jmanley32 on Mon Jan 15, 2018 10:05 am

amugs wrote:
docstox12 wrote:
aiannone wrote:

Wow, much juicier for me in the HV! Maybe what Mugsy posted about JB's 4 to 8 is possible!

From 33&Rain

I'll take that might be looking at a snow day in some places on wed no?
avatar
jmanley32
Senior Enthusiast
Senior Enthusiast

Posts : 14833
Reputation : 64
Join date : 2013-12-12
Age : 37
Location : Yonkers, NY

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: January 16th-17th Snow Event

Post by syosnow94 on Mon Jan 15, 2018 10:10 am

jmanley32 wrote:Im confused sci says 17th but you guys are taking tomorrow and wed the 16th and 17th? I have drive back home from eastern CT tomorrow should I head back tonight or will the trip go ok?

Jman every time it’s supposed to snow you complain/ worry that you have to drive. Did you become a taxi driver or delivery Man? Anyway 3-6” over 12 hours will cause no issues while driving on the main roads. Warmiccist
avatar
syosnow94
Senior Enthusiast
Senior Enthusiast

Posts : 3573
Reputation : 129
Join date : 2014-11-24
Age : 46
Location : OTI DIRECTOR OF MENTAL HEALTH

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: January 16th-17th Snow Event

Post by mikeypizano on Mon Jan 15, 2018 10:18 am

docstox12 wrote:
mikeypizano wrote:As long as it’s not sleet!

Mikey, how did you make out in the last storm? Aresian in west PA got 5.5 inches.

About a half inch or so, maybe 3/4, of sleet mixed with a little snow. By noon, it was frozen solid...
avatar
mikeypizano
Pro Enthusiast
Pro Enthusiast

Posts : 826
Reputation : 43
Join date : 2017-01-05
Location : Wilkes-Barre/Scranton, PA

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: January 16th-17th Snow Event

Post by rb924119 on Mon Jan 15, 2018 10:27 am

I still think these totals are WAY overdone, and think a coating to 2", maybe 3" MAX is what results. It's a clipper - moisture-starved and quick.

rb924119
Meteorologist
Meteorologist

Posts : 4521
Reputation : 150
Join date : 2013-02-06
Age : 26
Location : Greentown, Pa/Fishkill, NY

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: January 16th-17th Snow Event

Post by mikeypizano on Mon Jan 15, 2018 10:31 am

rb924119 wrote:I still think these totals are WAY overdone, and think a coating to 2", maybe 3" MAX is what results. It's a clipper - moisture-starved and quick.

Ok you, back of the line! Laughing
avatar
mikeypizano
Pro Enthusiast
Pro Enthusiast

Posts : 826
Reputation : 43
Join date : 2017-01-05
Location : Wilkes-Barre/Scranton, PA

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: January 16th-17th Snow Event

Post by jimv45 on Mon Jan 15, 2018 10:34 am

Rb I have seen Clippers put down nothing and over perform. The nws in Albany seems to like the latter with a good 3-6 in my area will see.

jimv45
Pro Enthusiast
Pro Enthusiast

Posts : 972
Reputation : 21
Join date : 2013-09-20
Location : dutchess county ny

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: January 16th-17th Snow Event

Post by jimv45 on Mon Jan 15, 2018 10:50 am

Also i am reading from the nws that its not just the clipper, it will be helped by the coastal to bring moderate snowfall. if they are right.

jimv45
Pro Enthusiast
Pro Enthusiast

Posts : 972
Reputation : 21
Join date : 2013-09-20
Location : dutchess county ny

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: January 16th-17th Snow Event

Post by hyde345 on Mon Jan 15, 2018 10:51 am

rb924119 wrote:I still think these totals are WAY overdone, and think a coating to 2", maybe 3" MAX is what results. It's a clipper - moisture-starved and quick.

What about the low that most models have developing on the front? It's very possible this enhances the precip and gives Hudson valley 3-6. especially when most models show it snowing from Tuesday afternoon thru wednesday morning. I just checked NWS Albany snowfall forecast for the event and they have Poughkeepsie area getting 5 so it's a definite possibility.
avatar
hyde345
Pro Enthusiast
Pro Enthusiast

Posts : 527
Reputation : 7
Join date : 2013-01-08
Location : Hyde Park, NY

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: January 16th-17th Snow Event

Post by aiannone on Mon Jan 15, 2018 10:52 am

WOW 12z GFS really develops the coastal low
avatar
aiannone
Advanced Forecaster
Advanced Forecaster

Posts : 3532
Reputation : 66
Join date : 2013-01-07
Location : Saint James, LI (Northwest Suffolk Co.)

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: January 16th-17th Snow Event

Post by RJB8525 on Mon Jan 15, 2018 10:58 am

rb924119 wrote:I still think these totals are WAY overdone, and think a coating to 2", maybe 3" MAX is what results. It's a clipper - moisture-starved and quick.

Tired Mad Tired Mad GFS Model GFS Model
avatar
RJB8525
Pro Enthusiast
Pro Enthusiast

Posts : 1911
Reputation : 26
Join date : 2013-02-06
Age : 32
Location : Hackettstown, NJ

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: January 16th-17th Snow Event

Post by jimv45 on Mon Jan 15, 2018 11:01 am

Yea hyde that's what i am hearing, it looks good right now for a nice snowfall but again will see.

jimv45
Pro Enthusiast
Pro Enthusiast

Posts : 972
Reputation : 21
Join date : 2013-09-20
Location : dutchess county ny

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: January 16th-17th Snow Event

Post by rb924119 on Mon Jan 15, 2018 11:01 am

hyde345 wrote:
rb924119 wrote:I still think these totals are WAY overdone, and think a coating to 2", maybe 3" MAX is what results. It's a clipper - moisture-starved and quick.

What about the low that most models have developing on the front? It's very possible this enhances the precip and gives Hudson valley 3-6. especially when most models show it snowing from Tuesday afternoon thru wednesday morning. I just checked NWS Albany snowfall forecast for the event and they have Poughkeepsie area getting 5 so it's a definite possibility.

Where's the forcing for all of this? I certainly can't find any lol your H5 energy is way strung out and lagging the surface feature, and you have a rapidly decaying jet structure. Your main forcing mechanisms for deep vertical motion are entirely disjointed and/or weak/decaying. There's no way you're gonna get a half-foot of snow with all of your forcing for ascent coming from H7 and below lol there's nothing to expand the precip shield and draw it northwestward back into our area. It's gonna be concentrated around any low-level circulation, which even if it does develop is offshore. Snow showers and periods of light snow. No dendritic growth, just needles and columns, which don't rapidly accumulate. I just do not see this happening.

rb924119
Meteorologist
Meteorologist

Posts : 4521
Reputation : 150
Join date : 2013-02-06
Age : 26
Location : Greentown, Pa/Fishkill, NY

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: January 16th-17th Snow Event

Post by rb924119 on Mon Jan 15, 2018 11:10 am

For fear of inciting riots and being banned to OTI with the title of Warmicist, I shall cease my actions and potentially law breaking actions of outcry against the establishment, and observe quietly until the event is over, whereby I will either be able to claim a small victory and condemn myself to hiding so I do not invite further riots out discontent for verification of my prediction. Or, if wrong, I shall admit to such and willfully accept any and all public humiliation and actions taken to mock me lmaooooo

rb924119
Meteorologist
Meteorologist

Posts : 4521
Reputation : 150
Join date : 2013-02-06
Age : 26
Location : Greentown, Pa/Fishkill, NY

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: January 16th-17th Snow Event

Post by hyde345 on Mon Jan 15, 2018 11:22 am

rb924119 wrote:
hyde345 wrote:
rb924119 wrote:I still think these totals are WAY overdone, and think a coating to 2", maybe 3" MAX is what results. It's a clipper - moisture-starved and quick.

What about the low that most models have developing on the front? It's very possible this enhances the precip and gives Hudson valley 3-6. especially when most models show it snowing from Tuesday afternoon thru wednesday morning. I just checked NWS Albany snowfall forecast for the event and they have Poughkeepsie area getting 5 so it's a definite possibility.

Where's the forcing for all of this? I certainly can't find any lol your H5 energy is way strung out and lagging the surface feature, and you have a rapidly decaying jet structure. Your main forcing mechanisms for deep vertical motion are entirely disjointed and/or weak/decaying.  There's no way you're gonna get a half-foot of snow with all of your forcing for ascent coming from H7 and below lol there's nothing to expand the precip shield and draw it northwestward back into our area. It's gonna be concentrated around any low-level circulation, which even if it does develop is offshore. Snow showers and periods of light snow. No dendritic growth, just needles and columns, which don't rapidly accumulate. I just do not see this happening.

Even without any additional enhancement this was still looking like a 1-3 inch type event. It won't take much to get us into 4-6 inch range plus it snows for around 18 hours. The 12z GFS, NAM, RGEM, CMC, all show HV getting around .50 liquid equivalent so they are indicating some forcing. When all models show this in this short time frame I'm going to say this is a very good sign especially for inland areas where temps won't be an issue.
avatar
hyde345
Pro Enthusiast
Pro Enthusiast

Posts : 527
Reputation : 7
Join date : 2013-01-08
Location : Hyde Park, NY

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: January 16th-17th Snow Event

Post by Sponsored content


Sponsored content


Back to top Go down

Page 1 of 15 1, 2, 3 ... 8 ... 15  Next

Back to top

- Similar topics

 
Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum