NJ Strong Weather Forum

Join the forum, it's quick and easy

NJ Strong Weather Forum
NJ Strong Weather Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Pain in the Butt March 7th Godzilla: Observations

+75
dad4twoboys
deadrabbit79
dasmarque
New Yorker 234
brownie
iloveweather
bluebythec
Artechmetals
Angela0621
lglickman
deblanka
snowday111
sabamfa
jake732
Carter bk
JackShephard
Smarnold
Blaze
essexcountypete
dparag01
lglickman1
crippo84
ak926
bloc1357
Dunnzoo
SkiSeadooJoe
Joe Snow
bobjohnsonforthehall
2004blackwrx
Radz
DAYBLAZER
devsman
Grselig
Taffy
dkodgis
gigs68
RJB8525
emokid51783
rb924119
docstox12
Sparky Sparticles
sroc4
SENJsnowman
dsix85
Sanchize06
algae888
mmanisca
skinsfan1177
nutleyblizzard
heehaw453
frank 638
Scullybutcher
snowlover78
Math23x7
NettWx
weatherwatchermom
freezerburn
dsvinos
Fededle22
jimv45
adamfitz1969
Dtone
Vinnydula
SoulSingMG
amugs
CPcantmeasuresnow
WeatherBob
billg315
oldtimer
jmanley32
Smittyaj623
hurrysundown23
mikeypizano
aiannone
Frank_Wx
79 posters

Page 41 of 42 Previous  1 ... 22 ... 40, 41, 42  Next

Go down

Pain in the Butt March 7th Godzilla: Observations - Page 41 Empty Re: Pain in the Butt March 7th Godzilla: Observations

Post by dkodgis Wed Mar 07, 2018 10:00 pm

The trees here are really bent down under the weight. I think I lost some small ones behind my property. I am quite surprised we have not lost power. Not that I want that to happen for anyone, but with heavy snow like this... . The big difference was low wind.

dkodgis
Senior Enthusiast
Senior Enthusiast

Back to top Go down

Pain in the Butt March 7th Godzilla: Observations - Page 41 Empty Re: Pain in the Butt March 7th Godzilla: Observations

Post by snowday111 Wed Mar 07, 2018 10:09 pm

Just got power back after having it go out 4 hours ago.

snowday111

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Wed Mar 07, 2018 10:18 pm

Amugs asked me to video the intense snow rates which I did, to put on the forum video log or something like that. What do I do?

Back to top Go down

Post by jmanley32 Wed Mar 07, 2018 10:19 pm

104k power outages in CT, a large amount in branford, guilford and madison, guilford being my parents.  Not sure why CT losing so much power as the snow is not that crazy and theres no crazy winds, maybe just cuz its more wooded. I hope my parents arent out too long.

119k now again rising in their area, they are elderly so I am a bit concerned. Two towns over is completely out. Must be the weight of the snow.
jmanley32
jmanley32
Senior Enthusiast
Senior Enthusiast

Back to top Go down

Post by jmanley32 Wed Mar 07, 2018 10:23 pm

syosnow94 wrote:Amugs asked me to video the intense snow rates which I did, to put on the forum video log or something like that. What do I do?
Guessing make a youtube video and post the link which is what I do.
jmanley32
jmanley32
Senior Enthusiast
Senior Enthusiast

Back to top Go down

Post by billg315 Wed Mar 07, 2018 10:33 pm

Still 337,000 without power in NJ
billg315
billg315
Advanced Forecaster - Mod

Back to top Go down

Post by aiannone Wed Mar 07, 2018 10:35 pm

My measurement made it on TV haha!
Pain in the Butt March 7th Godzilla: Observations - Page 41 Ecef6510

Senior Enthusiast - Mod
Senior Enthusiast - Mod

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Wed Mar 07, 2018 10:36 pm

Somehow at 19 pm it started ripping snow again. Crazy heavy and windy. Looks like 1/2” already

Back to top Go down

Post by Radz Wed Mar 07, 2018 10:37 pm

So 9.5" with compaction, 11.5'" where i cleared after 2-3" and added them, about 8" on pavement... currently 33.1° i can hear trees cracking in the distance from the weight...
Radz
Radz
Pro Enthusiast
Pro Enthusiast

Back to top Go down

Post by billg315 Wed Mar 07, 2018 10:48 pm

syosnow94 wrote:Amugs asked me to video the intense snow rates which I did, to put on the forum video log or something like that. What do I do?

We have a forum video log? I learn something new everyday. Now I need to go find it.
billg315
billg315

Back to top Go down

Post by Artechmetals Wed Mar 07, 2018 10:48 pm

My snow total ended with 20.5 " amazing storm bring it on Monday ... great call Frank
Artechmetals
Artechmetals
Pro Enthusiast
Pro Enthusiast

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Wed Mar 07, 2018 10:52 pm

Ok. Serious question. CP joking notwithstanding. I got 1.5” overnight that melted. Then 6.5” this afternoon that compacted down to 4.5”. Now since ten pm it’s ripoingbout and I’m approaching another 1”. I’ve been on the forum long enough to know the deal but my question is.......

Do I really report a storm total of 9” even though when we wake up in the morning it’ll be all compacted down to 4?

Back to top Go down

Post by billg315 Wed Mar 07, 2018 10:56 pm

syosnow94 wrote:Ok. Serious question. CP joking notwithstanding. I got 1.5” overnight that melted. Then 6.5” this afternoon that compacted down to 4.5”. Now since ten pm it’s ripoingbout and I’m approaching another 1”.  I’ve been on the forum long enough to know the deal but my question is.......

Do I really report a storm total of 9” even though when we wake up in the morning it’ll be all compacted down to 4?

Yes. That would be your accurate total (and the way NOAA would do it). But I would note (as you just did) how you got there and what you really ended up with. My feeling is reported snow totals should be as accurate as possible to what accumulated - even if it quickly melted/compacted. But storm evaluations should account for what the real-world impact was or wasn’t. If that make sense.
billg315
billg315

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Wed Mar 07, 2018 11:00 pm

Yep. Agreed. Still ripping and very windy now. A few trees came down around the block.

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Wed Mar 07, 2018 11:03 pm

Coming down as heavy as it has at any point today. My wife’s car you see was wiped clean by my son at 9:00 pmPain in the Butt March 7th Godzilla: Observations - Page 41 D3d62510

Back to top Go down

Post by weatherwatchermom Wed Mar 07, 2018 11:05 pm

Just heard on news there are about 500 cars stuck on route 280
weatherwatchermom
weatherwatchermom
Senior Enthusiast
Senior Enthusiast

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Wed Mar 07, 2018 11:09 pm

Here’s how yours truly enjoys snow while the family sleeps. Pain in the Butt March 7th Godzilla: Observations - Page 41 A3059210

Back to top Go down

Post by CPcantmeasuresnow Wed Mar 07, 2018 11:11 pm

dkodgis wrote:The plow guy just came and I took a check out to him but it was just an excuse to measure the snow. It is no longer snowing so Lee Goldberg was right. NWS had it until 2 am. My total is 25".  This was a good day out.

Nice Damian, makes up for the shafting you got on Friday.
CPcantmeasuresnow
CPcantmeasuresnow
Wx Statistician Guru
Wx Statistician Guru

Back to top Go down

Post by CPcantmeasuresnow Wed Mar 07, 2018 11:16 pm

syosnow94 wrote:Ok. Serious question. CP joking notwithstanding. I got 1.5” overnight that melted. Then 6.5” this afternoon that compacted down to 4.5”. Now since ten pm it’s ripoingbout and I’m approaching another 1”.  I’ve been on the forum long enough to know the deal but my question is.......

Serious Answer Syos because I just finished this debate with some people on another forum a couple of months ago.

The answer right now and I don't agree with this but the rules were changed in 2013, is whatever your maximum depth was for the day is what you report as your snow total. My argument was the same as yours so if I cleared my snowboard every six hours and totaled up say 10 inches of snow but my maximum depth was eight for the day then that's my total and yes that is the total.

That's another reason I was telling everyone earlier you have to measure tonight before compression starts because that maximum depth is your total for the day. It used to be clear the snowboard clean every six hours and then add up but no longer the case.
CPcantmeasuresnow
CPcantmeasuresnow
Wx Statistician Guru
Wx Statistician Guru

Back to top Go down

Post by Frank_Wx Wed Mar 07, 2018 11:17 pm

weatherwatchermom wrote:Just heard on news there are about 500 cars stuck on route 280

Heard the same. When the storm got going it REALLY got going. It was a wall of white.

This was a very tough forecast. People who saw 12+ inches was over a narrow area from NJ to NY. I busted PA and NYC Metro, though also hard to tell with all the melting and compaction that took place. Maybe the next March snowstorm we'll have better luck

CLICK HERE to view NJ Strong Snowstorm Classifications
Frank_Wx
Frank_Wx
Godzilla Seeker
Godzilla Seeker

http://njstrongweather.blogspot.com/

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Wed Mar 07, 2018 11:22 pm

CP. I had 6.5” when I shoveled. It hen compacted down to about 4.5”. Now I’ve added almost 1.5” on top of that to bring me up to 6” again. However according to what you just posted because it’s still less than what I had st 5 pm because of compaction this lady 1.5” doesn’t count. This doesn’t make sense

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Wed Mar 07, 2018 11:23 pm

Frank_Wx wrote:
weatherwatchermom wrote:Just heard on news there are about 500 cars stuck on route 280

Heard the same. When the storm got going it REALLY got going. It was a wall of white.

This was a very tough forecast. People who saw 12+ inches was over a narrow area from NJ to NY. I busted PA and NYC Metro, though also hard to tell with all the melting and compaction that took place. Maybe the next March snowstorm we'll have better luck
You nailed the forecast for me. But not to the west on LI. Weird. Good job. Nice to have you back snd involved

Back to top Go down

Post by CPcantmeasuresnow Wed Mar 07, 2018 11:32 pm

syosnow94 wrote:CP. I had 6.5” when I shoveled. It hen compacted down to about 4.5”. Now I’ve added almost 1.5” on top of that to bring me up to 6” again. However according to what you just posted because it’s still less than what I had st 5 pm because of compaction this lady 1.5” doesn’t count. This doesn’t make sense

It doesn't make sense, It's assinine but its NOAA and that's their stated rule since 2013. I argued with several people there about it to no avail. DUMB.

I doubt many stations even adhere to it.
CPcantmeasuresnow
CPcantmeasuresnow
Wx Statistician Guru
Wx Statistician Guru

Back to top Go down

Post by Dtone Wed Mar 07, 2018 11:47 pm

Some of the pics and videos im seeing are amazing. Some places within 30 miles of me but look like another world. Pretty impressive storm for many.

Dtone
Wx Statistician Guru
Wx Statistician Guru

Back to top Go down

Post by 2004blackwrx Thu Mar 08, 2018 12:00 am

Bavkend stalled over ny ct border last coiple hours

2004blackwrx
Pro Enthusiast
Pro Enthusiast

Back to top Go down

Post by docstox12 Thu Mar 08, 2018 1:05 am

CPcantmeasuresnow wrote:
syosnow94 wrote:CP. I had 6.5” when I shoveled. It hen compacted down to about 4.5”. Now I’ve added almost 1.5” on top of that to bring me up to 6” again. However according to what you just posted because it’s still less than what I had st 5 pm because of compaction this lady 1.5” doesn’t count. This doesn’t make sense

It doesn't make sense, It's assinine but its NOAA and that's their stated rule since 2013. I argued with several people there about it to no avail. DUMB.

I doubt many stations even adhere to it.

Yes, the same NOAA that accepted Central Park measurements before you got on their case and Mikey double checks by measuring.I agree with Jimmy that the total snow that fell that day, regardless of compaction, is the total you got out of the sky by the grace of God.As CP says, you keep clearing the snowboard and disregard any compaction.To argue otherwise is ridiculous.
docstox12
docstox12
Wx Statistician Guru
Wx Statistician Guru

Back to top Go down

Post by aiannone Thu Mar 08, 2018 7:08 am

Got another inch last night and .75” from the other morning brining my total to 9.55”

Senior Enthusiast - Mod
Senior Enthusiast - Mod

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 41 of 42 Previous  1 ... 22 ... 40, 41, 42  Next

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum