NJ Strong Weather Forum

Join the forum, it's quick and easy

NJ Strong Weather Forum
NJ Strong Weather Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

March Madness! Spring Snowstorm Observations

+77
Artechmetals
snowlover78
Lnda23
cooladi
Dtone
WeatherBob
mancave25
snemiroff
Dunnzoo
dad4twoboys
jldio
Radz
Sparky Sparticles
lisalamb
petep10
heehaw453
toople
jake732
Snow88
Joe Snow
2004blackwrx
SENJsnowman
devsman
oldtimer
freezerburn
docstox12
brownie
HeresL
Math23x7
mwilli5783
SkiSeadooJoe
hurrysundown23
frank 638
emokid51783
Vinnydula
mikeypizano
Aiosamoney21
richb521
GreyBeard
Carter bk
sroc4
bluebythec
dkodgis
Angela0621
deadrabbit79
bobjohnsonforthehall
larryrock72
skinsfan1177
Smittyaj623
rb924119
nujerzeedevil
shawnerak
bloc1357
gigs68
jjlane25
Grselig
nutleyblizzard
essexcountypete
mmanisca
dsix85
crippo84
RJB8525
jimv45
algae888
Scullybutcher
Quietace
adamfitz1969
aiannone
amugs
billg315
Taffy
jmanley32
weatherwatchermom
CPcantmeasuresnow
SoulSingMG
Sanchize06
Frank_Wx
81 posters

Page 8 of 40 Previous  1 ... 5 ... 7, 8, 9 ... 24 ... 40  Next

Go down

March Madness! Spring Snowstorm Observations - Page 8 Empty Re: March Madness! Spring Snowstorm Observations

Post by Frank_Wx Tue Mar 20, 2018 2:33 pm

CPcantmeasuresnow wrote:Well anything goes at this point so F the Euro.

Look at the 6Z NAM this morning it was horrible and at 12Z it corrected. Lets see what the Euro does on it's next run.

Still plenty of models with great hits for NYC south and east.

Northern people are in trouble but we've known that for days, no surprises despsite the ridiculous WSW for 10-16 inches. I never thought that was happening up here anyway.

If you compare the 00z EURO to today's 12z EURO it did correct and it's probably not finished correcting. So, I would weigh the EURO very lightly. I bet the EURO Ensembles look different than the OP.

Frank_Wx
Godzilla Seeker
Godzilla Seeker

http://njstrongweather.blogspot.com/

Back to top Go down

March Madness! Spring Snowstorm Observations - Page 8 Empty Re: March Madness! Spring Snowstorm Observations

Post by Angela0621 Tue Mar 20, 2018 2:35 pm

Heavy sleet in Ocean Grove

Angela0621

Back to top Go down

Post by CPcantmeasuresnow Tue Mar 20, 2018 2:36 pm

syosnow94 wrote:
Frank_Wx wrote:My final call

March Madness! Spring Snowstorm Observations - Page 8 Final_Call

Wow ok then.  santa

In Frank we trust, at least when it comes to forecasting.

Don't want to Get God angry at me right now so I had to clarify that, we're in enough trouble with this storm in the HV.
CPcantmeasuresnow
CPcantmeasuresnow
Wx Statistician Guru
Wx Statistician Guru

Back to top Go down

Post by nutleyblizzard Tue Mar 20, 2018 2:38 pm

Frank_Wx wrote:

Look at the 6Z NAM this morning it was horrible and at 12Z it corrected. Lets see what the Euro does on it's next run.

Northern people are in trouble but we've known that for days, no surprises despsite the ridiculous WSW for 10-16 inches. I never thought that was happening up here anyway.

If you compare the 00z EURO to today's 12z EURO it did correct and it's probably not finished correcting. So, I would weigh the EURO very lightly. I bet the EURO Ensembles look different than the OP.
That was a strange run. It advanced the heavier snows northward but at the same time decreases the northern sections. What should have happened is the precip shield as a whole moves northward. Doesn't make sense to me.
nutleyblizzard
nutleyblizzard
Senior Enthusiast
Senior Enthusiast

Back to top Go down

Post by bobjohnsonforthehall Tue Mar 20, 2018 2:38 pm

Flurries in Flemington.
bobjohnsonforthehall
bobjohnsonforthehall

Back to top Go down

Post by Frank_Wx Tue Mar 20, 2018 2:40 pm

nutleyblizzard wrote:
Frank_Wx wrote:

That was a strange run. It advanced the heavier snows northward but at the same time decreases the northern sections. What should have happened is the precip shield as a whole moves northward. Doesn't make sense to me.

Not always. Winds from the north with confluence pressing south could try to squash the precip shield. Dry air may also be trying to eat away at it. This is a very key trend we have to keep an eye on. If so, the cut-off's on my map would have to be more extreme once you begin heading, say, 20-30 miles N&W of NYC.

CLICK HERE to view NJ Strong Snowstorm Classifications
Frank_Wx
Frank_Wx
Godzilla Seeker
Godzilla Seeker

Back to top Go down

Post by weatherwatchermom Tue Mar 20, 2018 2:40 pm

Razz

Last edited by weatherwatchermom on Tue Mar 20, 2018 2:43 pm; edited 1 time in total
weatherwatchermom
weatherwatchermom
Senior Enthusiast
Senior Enthusiast

Back to top Go down

Post by rb924119 Tue Mar 20, 2018 2:41 pm

I've just been really busy. I've been following along, though, and offering insight as I've been able. If I had the time, believe me when I tell you I would be much more involved, and that goes for every system we have had. Way back in November I decided to make the sacrifice and forego my normal degree of forecasting in order to finish up my project so I can come back strong with it next season. Add in work, and there's very little time left aha

As for my thoughts with this system, I can't really offer a comment aside from just looking at the QPF and upper level maps very briefly, which wouldn't be a fair assessment for either of us lmao however, in order to get the north and west crew involved, at a quick glance I would like to see the H5 and H7 lows 50-100 miles further north and west, in coordination with a jet stream anchored over northern New York State to draw the dynamics of the levels below and the precipitation that they force much further northwestward. As it is, the visualizations of an I-95 and points east blitz appear correct to me. Unfortunately. However, we are still seeing incredible run to run discontinuity with many models, which means that no one solution is locked in yet, at least my opinion. The volatility is just astounding. With the amount of convection I still suspect a northwestward adjustment is possible come game time, though to what degree I cannot say. Keep in mind, I also got burned by that last time, as I expected much more through eastern PA and the HV, and given the state of the local SST anomaly configuration, my ideas are argued against, similarly to the last event. As for the gradient being depicted, I see no reason for that to be incorrect. People are trying to dismiss it, but in these large systems with vigorous ascent you see that all the time. It's the nature of the beast. Air has to sink somewhere to same degree it rise, and it is right next to western/northwestern fringe band. You frequently can go from 12" to 2" in the span of ten miles with these systems, so I have no reason to not believe that aspect. As for QPF, the numbers being portrayed seem reasonable (at least the 1.25-1.75" range) given the P-wat anomalies and ambient thermal profiles, which also leads me to believe that the ratios are not going to be as low as many suspect. I do think an average of 10-11:1 is a fair bet for the I-95, which would help mitigate any damage. However, this will likely lend itself to accumulation issues where we have seen them of late, as it's much easier to melt a drier snow with less water content (much less thermal energy required to heat a smaller mass of water) than a wet and pasty snow, so I do think your urban corridor will have trouble at first, even though it has been colder than times prior in preceding events. However, outside the urban corridor and once the base layer and rate of melting is overcome, maximized dendritic growth and synoptic/meso-scale forcing mechanisms will lend themselves to robust accumulations pretty rapidly. Even in the urban corridor, I do think amounts will have a decent chance at breaking 6", though I'm admittedly not fully entertaining that idea yet. This about as much as I can offer, and I'm sorry it couldn't be more :/

Last edited by rb924119 on Tue Mar 20, 2018 2:42 pm; edited 1 time in total

rb924119
Meteorologist
Meteorologist

Back to top Go down

Post by CPcantmeasuresnow Tue Mar 20, 2018 2:41 pm

nutleyblizzard wrote:
Frank_Wx wrote:

It might see the difficulty northern areas will have moistening up that dense cold dry air mass we have sitting over us. It happens.

I just noticed Frank said basically the same thing several conversations up.

Last edited by CPcantmeasuresnow on Tue Mar 20, 2018 2:44 pm; edited 1 time in total
CPcantmeasuresnow
CPcantmeasuresnow
Wx Statistician Guru
Wx Statistician Guru

Back to top Go down

Post by amugs Tue Mar 20, 2018 2:41 pm

The H5 of the EURO was better than the surface depiction - sorry if I misled you folks BUT as our great leader said the NW cut off is to extreme and it did job about 50 miles North.

To Frank's map!!
cheers cheers cheers

WINTER 2014-15 : 55.12" +.02 for 6 coatings (avg. 35")
WINTER 2015-16 Total - 29.8" (Avg 35")
WINTER 2016-17 : 39.5" so far
amugs
amugs
Advanced Forecaster - Mod
Advanced Forecaster - Mod

Back to top Go down

Post by weatherwatchermom Tue Mar 20, 2018 2:42 pm

Sleeting
weatherwatchermom
weatherwatchermom
Senior Enthusiast
Senior Enthusiast

Back to top Go down

Post by dkodgis Tue Mar 20, 2018 2:42 pm

Bill Evans has called this storm a "dumpster fire beast"
dkodgis
dkodgis
Senior Enthusiast
Senior Enthusiast

Back to top Go down

Post by bluebythec Tue Mar 20, 2018 2:44 pm

Sleet/snow/rain mix in Manasquan
bluebythec
bluebythec

Back to top Go down

Post by rb924119 Tue Mar 20, 2018 2:45 pm

As a follow-up, the lack of a jet extension across northern NY State really does not make me think nice thoughts north and west of about I-80.

rb924119
Meteorologist
Meteorologist

Back to top Go down

Post by SoulSingMG Tue Mar 20, 2018 2:46 pm

Bernie Rayno, breaking my damn heart.

"Upper Low on EURO looks farther S and E to me.looks more & more like a Philly (S/SE Pa), S New Jersey & northern DE storm.Baltimore on western edge of heaviest.Under 6 inches in NYC (in the city) seems very likely to me. S New England looks on edge as well.updated periscope later"
SoulSingMG
SoulSingMG
Senior Enthusiast
Senior Enthusiast

Back to top Go down

Post by Smittyaj623 Tue Mar 20, 2018 2:48 pm

Straight sleet here in Bayville

Smittyaj623

Back to top Go down

Post by jimv45 Tue Mar 20, 2018 2:48 pm

Bernie is good! hope he is wrong.

jimv45
Senior Enthusiast
Senior Enthusiast

Back to top Go down

Post by Smittyaj623 Tue Mar 20, 2018 2:49 pm

Smittyaj623

Back to top Go down

Post by CPcantmeasuresnow Tue Mar 20, 2018 2:52 pm

amugs wrote:The H5 of the EURO was better than the surface depiction - sorry if I misled you folks BUT as our great leader said the NW cut off is to extreme and it did job about 50 miles North.

To Frank's map!!
cheers cheers cheers

No sweat Mugs.

Paramedics say I have a 50-50 shot to make it.
CPcantmeasuresnow
CPcantmeasuresnow
Wx Statistician Guru
Wx Statistician Guru

Back to top Go down

Post by sroc4 Tue Mar 20, 2018 2:52 pm

It has ben quite clear that the euro has trended S&E with the500mb Low.  The deform band will be on the NW side of it, but can only go so far N&W.  Here are thelast 4 runs of the euro..slow and steady it has shifted S&E so it makes sense the axis of heaviest  snow does as well.  The euro is one global I would listen too with this sort of development.

March Madness! Spring Snowstorm Observations - Page 8 Ecmwf122
March Madness! Spring Snowstorm Observations - Page 8 Ecmwf123
March Madness! Spring Snowstorm Observations - Page 8 Ecmwf124
March Madness! Spring Snowstorm Observations - Page 8 Ecmwf125
March Madness! Spring Snowstorm Observations - Page 8 Ecmwf126

Last edited by sroc4 on Thu Mar 22, 2018 5:12 pm; edited 1 time in total

WINTER 2014/2015 TOTALS 71.20"WINTER 2019/2020 TOTALS 6.35"
WINTER 2015/2016 TOTALS 35.00"WINTER 2020/2021 TOTALS 37.75"
WINTER 2016/2017 TOTALS 42.25"WINTER 2021/2022 TOTALS 31.65" 
sroc4
sroc4
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by SoulSingMG Tue Mar 20, 2018 2:55 pm

sroc4 wrote:It has ben quite clear that the euro has trended S&E with the500mb Low.  The deform band will be on the NW side of it, but can only go so far N&W.  Here are thelast 4 runs of the euro..slow and steady it has shifted S&E so it makes sense the axis of heaviest  snow does as well.  The euro is one global I would listen too with this sort of development.

March Madness! Spring Snowstorm Observations - Page 8 Ecmwf122
March Madness! Spring Snowstorm Observations - Page 8 Ecmwf123
March Madness! Spring Snowstorm Observations - Page 8 Ecmwf124
March Madness! Spring Snowstorm Observations - Page 8 Ecmwf125
March Madness! Spring Snowstorm Observations - Page 8 Ecmwf126

Crap. Do you think it's done trending S & E?
SoulSingMG
SoulSingMG
Senior Enthusiast
Senior Enthusiast

Back to top Go down

Post by Smittyaj623 Tue Mar 20, 2018 2:59 pm

Smittyaj623

Back to top Go down

Post by Frank_Wx Tue Mar 20, 2018 3:00 pm

The GFS H5 is just as south (maybe even more east) than the EURO but it still has good snow extending north.

March Madness! Spring Snowstorm Observations - Page 8 Gfs_z500_vort_eus_7

Frank_Wx
Frank_Wx
Godzilla Seeker
Godzilla Seeker

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Tue Mar 20, 2018 3:03 pm

SoulSingMG wrote:Bernie Rayno, breaking my damn heart.

"Upper Low on EURO looks farther S and E to me.looks more & more like a Philly (S/SE Pa), S New Jersey & northern DE storm.Baltimore on western edge of heaviest.Under 6 inches in NYC (in the city) seems very likely to me. S New England looks on edge as well.updated periscope later"

Shit. I love Bernie. I think he’s usually really good

Back to top Go down

Post by sroc4 Tue Mar 20, 2018 3:04 pm

I'm not even sure if its to be believed, but Frank made mention f the confluence to the north this am. Could it end up stronger than modeled and 500mb low ends up further S&E??? Sure. Ive looked at H5 on NAM and RGEM and they are about the same plus or minus only a small amt. The difference seems to be in how far north the vorticity gets. The main deform band looks like its over NYC and points east, but there looks like smaller bands will form to the N&W as well. But like the last 3 we wil have screw zone inbetween bands due to subsidence.

WINTER 2014/2015 TOTALS 71.20"WINTER 2019/2020 TOTALS 6.35"
WINTER 2015/2016 TOTALS 35.00"WINTER 2020/2021 TOTALS 37.75"
WINTER 2016/2017 TOTALS 42.25"WINTER 2021/2022 TOTALS 31.65" 
sroc4
sroc4
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Frank_Wx Tue Mar 20, 2018 3:04 pm

This was the EURO snow map the ONE DAY before the January 2016 blizzard. Busted...big time.

March Madness! Spring Snowstorm Observations - Page 8 Image.thumb.png.03631220e48286c2332dd38a69f8c57b

Frank_Wx
Frank_Wx
Godzilla Seeker
Godzilla Seeker

Back to top Go down

Post by Frank_Wx Tue Mar 20, 2018 3:05 pm

EURO is not what it used to be. Very curious to see what EPS show.

Frank_Wx
Frank_Wx
Godzilla Seeker
Godzilla Seeker

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 8 of 40 Previous  1 ... 5 ... 7, 8, 9 ... 24 ... 40  Next

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum