NJ Strong Weather Forum

Join the forum, it's quick and easy

NJ Strong Weather Forum
NJ Strong Weather Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Grade the winter of 2017-18

+14
Frank_Wx
Radz
docstox12
skinsfan1177
nutleyblizzard
hyde345
WeatherBob
SENJsnowman
jmanley32
mikeypizano
billg315
CPcantmeasuresnow
algae888
amugs
18 posters

Page 1 of 2 1, 2  Next

Go down

Grade the winter of 2017-18 Empty Grade the winter of 2017-18

Post by amugs Fri Mar 23, 2018 5:18 pm

I say an A minus so far, notice so far LOL!

WINTER 2014-15 : 55.12" +.02 for 6 coatings (avg. 35")
WINTER 2015-16 Total - 29.8" (Avg 35")
WINTER 2016-17 : 39.5" so far
amugs
amugs
Advanced Forecaster - Mod

Back to top Go down

Grade the winter of 2017-18 Empty Re: Grade the winter of 2017-18

Post by algae888 Fri Mar 23, 2018 5:32 pm

B+ the positives we had an early start. A late finish record-breaking cold snap one blizzard and three major Coastal storms. Many storms to track. The negatives are record-breaking warm February and very little snow pack
algae888
algae888
Advanced Forecaster
Advanced Forecaster

Back to top Go down

Post by CPcantmeasuresnow Fri Mar 23, 2018 5:40 pm

Incomplete

Final grade to be determined on April 10

At the end of February this was a D+ to C - winter.  As Al said a good December a white Christmas all positives. An ok January with about average snowfall neutral a record-breaking warm February with almost no snow a huge negative.

A fantastic March with 44 inches of snow so far in the month with a solid deep snow cover throughout the entire month up to this point. March has done the near impossible and raised the winter from an almost failing grade to the current grade of B.

Last edited by CPcantmeasuresnow on Mon Apr 02, 2018 5:27 pm; edited 2 times in total
CPcantmeasuresnow
CPcantmeasuresnow
Wx Statistician Guru
Wx Statistician Guru

Back to top Go down

Post by billg315 Fri Mar 23, 2018 5:52 pm

B-minus. Cold and minor snow events early set the stage through the holidays which I like, and then had a decent storm the first week of Jan. Frankly mid-Jan to the end of Feb did nothing for me and that’s the real meat of winter. I was heading to a poor grade but the four storms in March, two of which gave me 6-plus inches saved it for me. I never truly jackpotted (although came close in the third storm and did get heavy snow with thunder) so I give it a minus instead of a solid B.
billg315
billg315

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Fri Mar 23, 2018 6:00 pm

Ive been waiting for this thread.

WINTER GRADE B. PLEASE READ NY REASONING

December was cold but disappointing snow wise. B

January early was cold and i jackpotted with a big storm but ended poorly. B

February with tons of hype was the worst einter month I’ve ever experienced. F-

March has been beyond epic snow wise with 35” imby Easy A+

Here’s my dilemma . I love cold and snow sticking around. We’ve had very little of both. I know I’m going to take crap for this but based on how I grade winter I’m going with a b. Wanted to go lower but 63” of snow on the coast is epic. Lack of sustained cold and snow cover keeps me from an a

Back to top Go down

Post by mikeypizano Fri Mar 23, 2018 7:14 pm

C-, above average snowfall, by 1", not much of the last few storms stuck other than on grass so I didn't make great money. I did get to test my new snow blower several times, and it worked great.
mikeypizano
mikeypizano
Pro Enthusiast
Pro Enthusiast

Back to top Go down

Post by jmanley32 Fri Mar 23, 2018 7:52 pm

I hate to be like this but F grade IMBY all these nickle and dime events and most not panning out for me anyways, I got screwed so many times in March (even this last one only 9 inches compared to 20 in LI which by location is usually the one to get less snow) it wasn't even funny, now if you want overall entire NJwxforum wide I would say a C+ maybe a B.
jmanley32
jmanley32
Senior Enthusiast
Senior Enthusiast

Back to top Go down

Post by algae888 Fri Mar 23, 2018 8:10 pm

syosnow94 wrote:Ive been waiting for this thread.

Here’s my dilemma . I love cold and snow sticking around. We’ve had very little of both. I know I’m going to take crap for this but based on how I grade winter I’m going with a b. Wanted to go lower but 63” of snow on the coast is epic. Lack of sustained cold and snow cover keeps me from an a
James I think we are now in a climate that will very rarely bring cold beginning-to-end through winter however with the warmer climate we are now seeing bigger storms and our snowfall average is going up dramatically especially along the coast. It's kind of odd when my memories as a kid and a young man was a lot of snow to rain events for the city and the coast that's with a colder climate. I personally hated the 70s when it was very cold but very little snow. I'd much prefer this climate With lots of storms to track and lots of big storms and more snow. I firmly believe that what makes Winter a success is the amount of storms we track even if we miss on 50% of them. And Jon we're about 45 in of snow in our area how could that ever be an F or even a c that's well above average
algae888
algae888
Advanced Forecaster
Advanced Forecaster

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Fri Mar 23, 2018 8:30 pm

I give it a Z-. I don't care what the numbers say. This winter has been hot garbage. Not even a Mothrazilla. A ridiculously warm Feb plus a March that has seen most of you guys get pounded with snow while I've been reduced to spectator and made all the worse by consistently being on just the wrong side of the temp gradients meaning rain when others nearby have gotten snow.

I know it's not part of the topic, but perhaps somebody wise on such things can enlighten me. How much of a difference does elevation truly make? I live in what might be described as a valley sort of like the bottom of a shallow bowl, elevation difference maybe 100-200 feet lower than the surrounding hills. Would that impact practical weather or is something like that a non-factor?

Back to top Go down

Post by amugs Fri Mar 23, 2018 8:38 pm

A front 35 -40 days of cold and snowstorms to track and  with a  blizzard mind you.

February absolutely stunk none two ways about it. 

March has been awesome 4 Major Nor'Easters. The dynamics of each storm meteorological speaking is like the hcane season last year with a wild finish. True parallel.
I may not IMBY cashes in as well as other but the shear excitement and fun analyzing and tracking was bar nine to me.

Snowpack was meh yes.

It is something for us to have long lasting snownpacks. Not saying a rarity but not as easy as some would say being with the proximity to the bath tub of warm water we rest upon. Not so much 30 miles plus outside of the coastal plain.

Hey to each his own grading wise and SYO invented a new grade an F- LOL!!

I am at 48" this year and about  13" above my seasonal average. Went below zero and my sons were on our outdoor ice rink for 20 days this year for the 1st part half of winter. After Jan 19 it was basically done and we took it down in late Feb. March sun doesn't allow for this without 2015 EPO driven cold.

Still some umph left to winter.

amugs
amugs

Back to top Go down

Post by SENJsnowman Fri Mar 23, 2018 9:39 pm

2 Godzilla storms (1/4, 3/21)
13 straight days of sub freezing temps (12/27-1/9)
3 week snow pack (1/4-1/25)
Twin peaks: early and late
40"+ total snow fall
Thunder Snow!!! (3/15)

Those are impressive highlights. The strong March really dulls February's sting.

A-

SENJsnowman
Senior Enthusiast
Senior Enthusiast

Back to top Go down

Post by WeatherBob Fri Mar 23, 2018 9:46 pm

From my perspevtive in my weather world, I rate it a solid B+ and have had a total snow acc in the low 50’s with snowfalls of 3 , 4.5 , 20 and 6 for the last 4 storms in March! Also , we had close to the coldest 2 week period in 150 years for the region. That’s pretty impressive.

The learning opportunities with these March storms was second to none!
WeatherBob
WeatherBob
Meteorologist
Meteorologist

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Fri Mar 23, 2018 10:35 pm

algae888 wrote:
syosnow94 wrote:Ive been waiting for this thread.

James I think we are now in a climate that will very rarely bring cold beginning-to-end through winter however with the warmer climate we are now seeing bigger storms and our snowfall average is going up dramatically especially along the coast. It's kind of odd when my memories as a kid and a young man was a lot of snow to rain events for the city and the coast that's with a colder climate. I personally hated the 70s when it was very cold but very little snow. I'd much prefer this climate With lots of storms to track and lots of big storms and more snow. I firmly believe that what makes Winter a success is the amount of storms we track even if we miss on 50% of them. And Jon we're about 45 in of snow in our area how could that ever be an F or even a c that's well above average

Al I hear you. I like tracking as wel. It’s just we have a different preference. I’d much rather 30” with 10 3” storms that stick around and cold temps than the 63” I got this season that melt within two days. Shoot I’d rather the super cold stretch at the beginning of January than a big snow that melts immediately. Just my opinion.

Back to top Go down

Post by hyde345 Fri Mar 23, 2018 11:22 pm

I give it a B-. Kind of a mixed bag winter. Plenty of events to track, small, medium and big. 57 Inches IMBY isn't too bad but could have been better and got screwed with last storm. Record cold in late Dec/early Jan which included a White Christmas, but also record warmth in Feb. Great March. Still had a lack of sustained cold for the most part.
hyde345
hyde345
Pro Enthusiast
Pro Enthusiast

Back to top Go down

Post by nutleyblizzard Sat Mar 24, 2018 4:25 am

This is one of the more bizarre winters that I can remember. It had the record cold early on along with a white Christmas which was great, but unfortunately i had multiple heartbreaks the rest of the way. Sure I had my share of snow events but they were just your average run of the mill events in the 6-7 inch range along with several nickel and dime snowfalls. I currently stand at 37.5'' which is several inches above average which should warrant a C grading. However with the warm and uneventful February, followed by being short changed in March with subsidence and thermal issues the winter falls well short in my book. Plenty of tracking and wasted potential. I will give this winter a D.
nutleyblizzard
nutleyblizzard
Senior Enthusiast
Senior Enthusiast

Back to top Go down

Post by skinsfan1177 Sat Mar 24, 2018 6:09 am

I give it a A for my area. Well over average snowfall again. To big storms of a foot or more. I think its well over 40 inches
skinsfan1177
skinsfan1177
Senior Enthusiast
Senior Enthusiast

Back to top Go down

Post by docstox12 Sat Mar 24, 2018 6:47 am

A very cold period, White Christmas, many days of snowpack, and an epic March.79 inches total with a chance for more.I give it a "B".Had February been even normal temps with normal snow, it would be a B+ or an A right now.
docstox12
docstox12
Wx Statistician Guru
Wx Statistician Guru

Back to top Go down

Post by Radz Sat Mar 24, 2018 7:56 am

So... are we including March in the grade?? Isn't it usually just meteorological winter that we rate? Anyway, in my case it doesn't really matter- a lot of smaller storms here and virtually no extended snow pack this year, no true forum wide Godzilla type storm either (someone always got skunked) Only true winter was end of December cold and White Christmas which was awesome! Jan 4th would have really helped if it was a track closer to the coast and just insider the benchmark. End of January and February warmth killed what could have been a great season. March snows become a memory way too quickly, melt way too fast... i only give it a "C+"
Radz
Radz
Pro Enthusiast
Pro Enthusiast

Back to top Go down

Post by Frank_Wx Sat Mar 24, 2018 8:34 am

A wide range of grades in here. Pretty cool to see everyone's opinion. My grade is a B-.

The early start to winter and the cold March with accumulating snow all the way to the coast are my highlights. In December, we're all eager for cold weather and our first snow. I hate waiting until January. Plus, we saw it snow near the Holidays.

January finished below average temps (so did DEC) and had a stretch of very cold temps. While we did not see big storms it surely felt like winter. February was...not good. But in every winter we'll always deal with a thaw at some point. Just because its winter does not mean it can't be above normal at times. But what impresaed me was the Sudden Stratospheric Warming Event, which is why the -NAO developed and why our March is what it is. Experts say it was a record breaking SSWE in terms of how much warmth got into the Stratosphere.

I guess the negative for me was too many weak events near the coast. Once our storms hit Mothrazilla status I am interested. Most storms this year fell below that, and I never hit double digits in snowfall with any storm.

CLICK HERE to view NJ Strong Snowstorm Classifications
Frank_Wx
Frank_Wx
Godzilla Seeker
Godzilla Seeker

http://njstrongweather.blogspot.com/

Back to top Go down

Post by nutleyblizzard Sat Mar 24, 2018 8:55 am

I think one of the biggest issues this winter was that a lot of these storms were of Miller B origins. You have a dying inland primary low that can drop initial snows, until the coastal takes over. More often then not there will be a screw zone somewhere. Luck also has something to do with it. Take the last two storms for instance. This past weeks storm had the CCB setup just to the east of me. The one before the heaviest snows were just to the west. Thats why myself and a lot of people prefer the Miller A variety. Those storms tend to drop a more general amount of snow across a much larger area. I'm already looking forward to next winter with an early call for a weak ElNino.
nutleyblizzard
nutleyblizzard
Senior Enthusiast
Senior Enthusiast

Back to top Go down

Post by RJB8525 Sat Mar 24, 2018 10:14 am

B. We had bitter cold in the beginning, not much snow but a few here and there and then whammed with 3 storms in a matter of a month made up for it. time will tell if another one gets sneaked in. for many it's a grade F lol. it's going to stay a B for me another storm or not
RJB8525
RJB8525
Senior Enthusiast
Senior Enthusiast

Back to top Go down

Post by heehaw453 Sat Mar 24, 2018 10:34 am

Hmm.  

The good
Snow for Christmas Morning
15 consecutive days where my temperature didn't go above 28F
Early start to the snows
Absolutely epic March
Total snows ~66"
Significant snow still on the ground as of 3/24/2018

The Bad
Long period of minimal snows during heart of winter
Temperatures very warm in heart of winter
During the cold spell saw minimal snows

Final grade A-.  This would have been right up there with 95/96 if not for that ugly stretch in heart of winter.  I take!

heehaw453
Advanced Forecaster
Advanced Forecaster

Back to top Go down

Post by essexcountypete Sat Mar 24, 2018 11:28 am

jmanley32 wrote:...all these nickle and dime events and most not panning out for me anyways, I got screwed so many times in March (even this last one only 9 inches compared to 20 in LI which by location is usually the one to get less snow) it wasn't even funny...

Spot on jman. When the N&W folks AND the LI folks are busting out with 12"+ totals, sometimes 20+, and I can barely muster 6", there's not much upside to be found. Shoveling slush sucks.

nutleyblizzard wrote:I think one of the biggest issues this winter was that a lot of these storms were of Miller B origins. You have a dying inland primary low  that can drop initial snows, until the coastal takes over. More often then not there will be a screw zone somewhere. Luck also has something to do with it. Take the last two storms for instance. This past weeks storm had the CCB setup just to the east of me. The one before the heaviest snows were just to the west. Thats why myself and a lot of people prefer the Miller A variety. Those storms tend to drop a more general amount of snow across a much larger area. I'm already looking forward to next winter with an early call for a weak ElNino.

Yeah, everyone around us got in the jackpot for at least one of these last four storms, but there was always some factor that caused the heaviest snowfall to be somewhere else, seemingly in every direction.

Tracking these storms has been a blast, and I learned a bunch of things, so that's kept it interesting, but unmet expectations that come with a parade of promising Nor'easters that all underperformed IMBY lands me on a C grade.

essexcountypete
essexcountypete
Pro Enthusiast
Pro Enthusiast

Back to top Go down

Post by Dtone Sun Mar 25, 2018 3:43 pm

December got started off early with multiple snowfalls, light to moderate events but good for Dec, which sometimes does not produce much snow, plus cold. Dec gets a A-

January I give a B, was mainly one big storm but was double digit snowfall for me and makes Jan an above norm snowfall month like Dec.  The extended cold spell Dec to early Jan was noteworthy
It did take its toll on me though, cold enough to snow is good enough for me. Record cold for a couples days would of been enough for me.

Not much to say about Feb winter wise. Did get a moderate snow event in between 60 degree days and near 80 soon after. That makes Feb a D.

March was stormy but very little actual snow accumulation here until the last event. That saved March. It was an eventful month but more stormy/destructive than snowy until the save at the end. The fact that someone got 20" doesn't take away from the fact I got over 8" in late March which turns out to be pretty uncommon by that point. Most of the bigger snowfalls that late were before all of NY was fully urbanized like now. Take those out and you have only a handful of storms to produce in that range. I give March a B.

That would avg out to a B- winter..but since the total snowfall was above normal and even when events didn't pan out IMBY, it still was a supply of potential events to keep thing interesting I upgraded it to a B.

Dtone
Wx Statistician Guru
Wx Statistician Guru

Back to top Go down

Post by amugs Mon Mar 26, 2018 10:28 am

This is from the tweeter - this is an AN snow map for almost the entire region

Grade the winter of 2017-18 Snow_ytd_ne.png.e9bdb7218ed298b3944116a525dd7c1c

amugs
amugs

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 1 of 2 1, 2  Next