NJ Strong Weather Forum

Join the forum, it's quick and easy

NJ Strong Weather Forum
NJ Strong Weather Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

MAJOR HURRICANE FLORENCE part 2: Will have historic impacts to the Carolina coastline and areas inland

+27
amugs
Radz
skinsfan1177
rb924119
billg315
WOLVES1
CentralNJ
hyde345
docstox12
mwilli5783
Snow88
Math23x7
bloc1357
oldtimer
aiannone
Dunnzoo
SoulSingMG
nutleyblizzard
GreyBeard
weatherwatchermom
Joe Snow
Frank_Wx
jmanley32
bobjohnsonforthehall
Grselig
algae888
sroc4
31 posters

Page 5 of 7 Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next

Go down

MAJOR HURRICANE FLORENCE part 2: Will have historic impacts to the Carolina coastline and areas inland - Page 5 Empty Re: MAJOR HURRICANE FLORENCE part 2: Will have historic impacts to the Carolina coastline and areas inland

Post by jmanley32 Thu Sep 13, 2018 5:55 pm

sroc4 wrote:
rb924119 wrote:Eye spy due northward progression Wink Wink Not that it's coming up here, but it gives me a chance for a couple of my ideas to have merit. We shall see. At work, so I cannot discuss deeply to what im referring, but basically my predicted landfall point as well as ideas I presented a couple days ago. Be back later!

Damn Ray  You beat me to it.  I wanted post that and give you kudos.  Frictional forces, Convergence over land, lowering pressures...I remember Wink
What the heck Ray, reel her in screw the blocking mechanism lol, lets have a total reversed cone shift, wouldnt that be something, NHC says WNW though.Just out of curiosity, what would have to happen in order for her to suddenly decide to track up the coast, I imagine many many things that wont happen but just curious what they would be. If its way to hard to or impossible to even decipher then forget it.

jmanley32
Senior Enthusiast
Senior Enthusiast

Back to top Go down

MAJOR HURRICANE FLORENCE part 2: Will have historic impacts to the Carolina coastline and areas inland - Page 5 Empty Re: MAJOR HURRICANE FLORENCE part 2: Will have historic impacts to the Carolina coastline and areas inland

Post by GreyBeard Thu Sep 13, 2018 6:15 pm

When weatherwatchermom posted this link yesterday I said to myself "that flag ain"t gonna last too long..."
Check out the sound of that wind jman

https://explore.org/livecams/frying-pan/frying-pan-cam

Wonder if anyone booked this week affraid
37 miles off the Coast of Cape Fear, North Carolina is a former Coast Guard tower that has been transformed into a bed and breakfast called the Frying Pan Tower. Working with the B&B owner and non profit, Teens for Oceans, the underwater webcams observe the marine ecosystem where Sharks, Barracuda and even an occasional Octopus slither past.Spectacular vistas abound in the middle of the Atlantic Ocean.

GreyBeard
Senior Enthusiast
Senior Enthusiast

Back to top Go down

Post by jmanley32 Thu Sep 13, 2018 6:24 pm

GreyBeard wrote:When weatherwatchermom posted this link yesterday I said to myself "that flag ain"t gonna last too long..."

37 miles off the Coast of Cape Fear, North Carolina is a former Coast Guard tower that has been transformed into a bed and breakfast called the Frying Pan Tower. Working with the B&B owner and non profit, Teens for Oceans, the underwater webcams observe the marine ecosystem where Sharks, Barracuda and even an occasional Octopus slither past.Spectacular vistas abound in the middle of the Atlantic Ocean.
Wow.... Why is the ocean rather calm?
jmanley32
jmanley32
Senior Enthusiast
Senior Enthusiast

Back to top Go down

Post by GreyBeard Thu Sep 13, 2018 6:30 pm

Good question.

GreyBeard
Senior Enthusiast
Senior Enthusiast

Back to top Go down

Post by Dunnzoo Thu Sep 13, 2018 6:37 pm

jmanley32 wrote:
GreyBeard wrote:When weatherwatchermom posted this link yesterday I said to myself "that flag ain"t gonna last too long..."

Really? That's not calm at all, and it is 34 miles offshore

Snowfall winter of 2023-2024  17.5"    

Snowfall winter of 2022-2023       6.0"
Snowfall winter of 2021-2022     17.6"    1" sleet 2/25/22
Snowfall winter of 2020-2021     51.1"
Snowfall winter of 2019-2020       8.5"
Snowfall winter of 2018-2019     25.1"
Snowfall winter of 2017-2018     51.9"
Snowfall winter of 2016-2017     45.6"
Snowfall winter of 2015-2016     29.5"
Snowfall winter of 2014-2015     50.55"
Snowfall winter of 2013-2014     66.5"
Dunnzoo
Dunnzoo
Senior Enthusiast - Mod
Senior Enthusiast - Mod

Back to top Go down

Post by GreyBeard Thu Sep 13, 2018 6:39 pm

Dunnzoo wrote:
jmanley32 wrote:

Well not calm, but not 20 ft. seas either given the location. And it's 37 miles offshore Smile

Last edited by GreyBeard on Thu Sep 13, 2018 6:46 pm; edited 1 time in total

GreyBeard
Senior Enthusiast
Senior Enthusiast

Back to top Go down

Post by SoulSingMG Thu Sep 13, 2018 6:43 pm

I'm laughing so hard right now that we are BACK IN THE CONE (cc jman) lol!
SoulSingMG
SoulSingMG
Senior Enthusiast
Senior Enthusiast

Back to top Go down

Post by jmanley32 Thu Sep 13, 2018 6:50 pm

SoulSingMG wrote:I'm laughing so hard right now that we are BACK IN THE CONE (cc jman) lol!  
soul read back a page about the euro ensembles they are mighty interesting for next week.
jmanley32
jmanley32
Senior Enthusiast
Senior Enthusiast

Back to top Go down

Post by weatherwatchermom Thu Sep 13, 2018 6:56 pm

jmanley32 wrote:

The platform is 55 feet in the air...that water is not calm just appears that way with angle of camera I think I read the swell are around 20 feet

Last edited by weatherwatchermom on Thu Sep 13, 2018 7:10 pm; edited 1 time in total
weatherwatchermom
weatherwatchermom
Senior Enthusiast
Senior Enthusiast

Back to top Go down

Post by SoulSingMG Thu Sep 13, 2018 7:04 pm

jmanley32 wrote:
SoulSingMG wrote:I'm laughing so hard right now that we are BACK IN THE CONE (cc jman) lol!  
soul read back a page about the euro ensembles they are mighty interesting for next week.

Yeah I saw! She needs to landfall and stay on land before we'll know where she's headed later.
SoulSingMG
SoulSingMG
Senior Enthusiast
Senior Enthusiast

Back to top Go down

Post by jmanley32 Thu Sep 13, 2018 7:20 pm

SoulSingMG wrote:
jmanley32 wrote:

Yeah I saw! She needs to landfall and stay on land before we'll know where she's headed later.
Very true and im not saying the Euro is right, though it did well so far.
jmanley32
jmanley32
Senior Enthusiast
Senior Enthusiast

Back to top Go down

Post by Dunnzoo Thu Sep 13, 2018 7:30 pm

weatherwatchermom wrote:
jmanley32 wrote:

The platform is 55 feet in the air...that water is not calm just appears that way with angle of camera I think I read the swell are around 20 feet

Yes, Joanne, I found a buoy reading of 23' wave heights offshore... hope there are no boats out there!

Snowfall winter of 2023-2024  17.5"    

Snowfall winter of 2022-2023       6.0"
Snowfall winter of 2021-2022     17.6"    1" sleet 2/25/22
Snowfall winter of 2020-2021     51.1"
Snowfall winter of 2019-2020       8.5"
Snowfall winter of 2018-2019     25.1"
Snowfall winter of 2017-2018     51.9"
Snowfall winter of 2016-2017     45.6"
Snowfall winter of 2015-2016     29.5"
Snowfall winter of 2014-2015     50.55"
Snowfall winter of 2013-2014     66.5"
Dunnzoo
Dunnzoo
Senior Enthusiast - Mod
Senior Enthusiast - Mod

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Thu Sep 13, 2018 8:23 pm

GreyBeard wrote:
Dunnzoo wrote:
jmanley32 wrote:

Well not calm, but not 20 ft. seas either given the location. And it's 37 miles offshore Smile

I’ve fished in seas tougher than that.

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Thu Sep 13, 2018 8:46 pm

Still no landfall and down below 100 mph

Back to top Go down

Post by weatherwatchermom Thu Sep 13, 2018 9:04 pm

syosnow94 wrote:
GreyBeard wrote:
Dunnzoo wrote:
jmanley32 wrote:

I’ve fished in seas tougher than that.
ha...you would i want pics affraid ...largest i have been on our boat is 10 foot swells...never again for me!
weatherwatchermom
weatherwatchermom
Senior Enthusiast
Senior Enthusiast

Back to top Go down

Post by bobjohnsonforthehall Thu Sep 13, 2018 9:16 pm

Fished for Blues off Montauk Point. Swells were about 15 feet. Spent half the time doing the Technicolor yawn.
bobjohnsonforthehall
bobjohnsonforthehall

Back to top Go down

Post by skinsfan1177 Thu Sep 13, 2018 9:20 pm

MAJOR HURRICANE FLORENCE part 2: Will have historic impacts to the Carolina coastline and areas inland - Page 5 77f1aa10
skinsfan1177
skinsfan1177
Senior Enthusiast
Senior Enthusiast

Back to top Go down

Post by skinsfan1177 Thu Sep 13, 2018 9:21 pm

syosnow94 wrote:Still no landfall and down below 100 mph

May not make landfall for 24 hours
skinsfan1177
skinsfan1177
Senior Enthusiast
Senior Enthusiast

Back to top Go down

Post by weatherwatchermom Fri Sep 14, 2018 4:20 am

WHAT THE h(excuse my language)..WHAT ABOUT MANDATORY EVACUATION DO YOU NOT UNDERSTAND!!!!!! NEW BERN IS UNDER WATER...100 PEOPLE HAVE BEEN RESCUED AND AT LEAST 100 MORE CALLS PENDING..People on roof of homes people trapped in cars...New Bern floods on a regular basis....there are 70 plus mph winds they are saying and some parts have already gotten 20 plus inches of rain and worst yet to come...what is wrong with people....I do not have sympathy.... And if rescuers are hurt because of you  you should be arrested and if you knew me personally you would be shocked i feel this way....ridiculous!!!! If you can not afford to leave for hotel. Find a god darn shelter....you were warned...ughhh  rant over..

Last edited by weatherwatchermom on Fri Sep 14, 2018 5:58 am; edited 1 time in total
weatherwatchermom
weatherwatchermom
Senior Enthusiast
Senior Enthusiast

Back to top Go down

Post by Radz Fri Sep 14, 2018 5:41 am

weatherwatchermom wrote:WHAT THE F(excuse my language)..WHAT ABOUT MANDATORY EVACUATION DO YOU NOT UNDERSTAND!!!!!! NEW BERN IS UNDER WATER...100 PEOPLE HAVE BEEN RESCUED AND AT LEAST 100 MORE CALLS PENDING..People on roof of homes people trapped in cars...New Bern floods on a regular basis....there are 70 plus mph winds they are saying and some parts have already gotten 20 plus inches of rain and worst yet to come...what is wrong with people....I do not have sympathy.... And if rescuers are hurt because of you  you should be arrested and if you knew me personally you would be shocked i feel this way....ridiculous!!!! If you can not afford to leave for hotel. Find a god darn shelter....you were warned...ughhh  rant over..
Reports of up to 250 rescued now and 150 more awaiting... totally agree!!
Radz
Radz
Pro Enthusiast
Pro Enthusiast

Back to top Go down

Post by weatherwatchermom Fri Sep 14, 2018 6:02 am

Sorry for my bad Lang i was so upset..don't usually curse..and now a family that is in attic because water up to chest in house
weatherwatchermom
weatherwatchermom
Senior Enthusiast
Senior Enthusiast

Back to top Go down

Post by sroc4 Fri Sep 14, 2018 6:07 am

weatherwatchermom wrote:Sorry for my bad Lang i was so upset..don't usually curse..and   now a family  that is in attic because water up to chest in house

Darwin’s theory of evolution at its finest. Unfort

WINTER 2014/2015 TOTALS 71.20"WINTER 2019/2020 TOTALS 6.35"
WINTER 2015/2016 TOTALS 35.00"WINTER 2020/2021 TOTALS 37.75"
WINTER 2016/2017 TOTALS 42.25"WINTER 2021/2022 TOTALS 31.65" 
sroc4
sroc4
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by jmanley32 Fri Sep 14, 2018 6:20 am

Wow that's crazy all those people stayed what viidiots in the words of ren and stimpy. On another note euro still steadfast on a stronger low remnant over the area 997mb in NYC harbor. Nhc has shifted cone recurve south and nhc has added a 5-10% box for ts force winds to the area and all north east. Could get interesting in 3 or 4 days.
jmanley32
jmanley32
Senior Enthusiast
Senior Enthusiast

Back to top Go down

Post by docstox12 Fri Sep 14, 2018 6:34 am

weatherwatchermom wrote:WHAT THE h(excuse my language)..WHAT ABOUT MANDATORY EVACUATION DO YOU NOT UNDERSTAND!!!!!! NEW BERN IS UNDER WATER...100 PEOPLE HAVE BEEN RESCUED AND AT LEAST 100 MORE CALLS PENDING..People on roof of homes people trapped in cars...New Bern floods on a regular basis....there are 70 plus mph winds they are saying and some parts have already gotten 20 plus inches of rain and worst yet to come...what is wrong with people....I do not have sympathy.... And if rescuers are hurt because of you  you should be arrested and if you knew me personally you would be shocked i feel this way....ridiculous!!!! If you can not afford to leave for hotel. Find a god darn shelter....you were warned...ughhh  rant over..

Agree 100% Mom.What I have learned from this hurricane is that many more deaths are as a result of water rather than wind.That was a fact Lee Goldberg brought up.He and others I saw, were reporting that dry air would get involved and knock down the wind speeds as the storm reached the coast.Maybe that was detrimental in that people may have made the decision foolishly to stay.That's just a conjecture on my part.The forecasters repeated many times that this storm would dump catastrophic amounts of rain and a huge storm surge as a result of the geography of the NC coastline.Mandatory is no joke, people should all have gone.It's so true about the first responders lives being at risk due to the foolishness of those who decided to stay.
docstox12
docstox12
Wx Statistician Guru
Wx Statistician Guru

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Fri Sep 14, 2018 6:41 am

sroc4 wrote:
weatherwatchermom wrote:Sorry for my bad Lang i was so upset..don't usually curse..and   now a family  that is in attic because water up to chest in house

Darwin’s theory of evolution at its finest. Unfort

Exactly the line I use when speaking to my students about stuff we talk about in the news. I SWEAR TO GOD IF I WAS IN CHARGE DOWN THERE I WOULD NOT SEND HELP

Last edited by syosnow94 on Fri Sep 14, 2018 9:52 am; edited 1 time in total

Back to top Go down

Post by rb924119 Fri Sep 14, 2018 8:47 am

sroc4 wrote:
rb924119 wrote:Eye spy due northward progression Wink Wink Not that it's coming up here, but it gives me a chance for a couple of my ideas to have merit. We shall see. At work, so I cannot discuss deeply to what im referring, but basically my predicted landfall point as well as ideas I presented a couple days ago. Be back later!

Damn Ray  You beat me to it.  I wanted post that and give you kudos.  Frictional forces, Convergence over land, lowering pressures...I remember Wink

Well, thank you, Scott haha if somebody can post an animation of the microwave imagery, they can see that the ideas did prove to have merit. As Florence encountered the coastline, it actually did move northward along the coast before landfalling, and to my knowledge, NO model had shown that. This is not to brag, but instead to show how forecasters can still add a lot of value over raw model output, and how meteorology is much greater than modelology.

rb924119
Meteorologist
Meteorologist

Back to top Go down

Post by Frank_Wx Fri Sep 14, 2018 9:01 am

Radz wrote:
weatherwatchermom wrote:WHAT THE F(excuse my language)..WHAT ABOUT MANDATORY EVACUATION DO YOU NOT UNDERSTAND!!!!!! NEW BERN IS UNDER WATER...100 PEOPLE HAVE BEEN RESCUED AND AT LEAST 100 MORE CALLS PENDING..People on roof of homes people trapped in cars...New Bern floods on a regular basis....there are 70 plus mph winds they are saying and some parts have already gotten 20 plus inches of rain and worst yet to come...what is wrong with people....I do not have sympathy.... And if rescuers are hurt because of you  you should be arrested and if you knew me personally you would be shocked i feel this way....ridiculous!!!! If you can not afford to leave for hotel. Find a god darn shelter....you were warned...ughhh  rant over..
Reports of up to 250 rescued now and 150 more awaiting... totally agree!!

The Mets and media warned everyone. There is literally no excuse. Evacuations began on Monday. That's how confident they were this storm will come. You can't fix stupid. I hope they're rescued, but if conditions for rescuers become dangerous, then what are they to do?

CLICK HERE to view NJ Strong Snowstorm Classifications
Frank_Wx
Frank_Wx
Godzilla Seeker
Godzilla Seeker

http://njstrongweather.blogspot.com/

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 5 of 7 Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum