NJ Strong Weather Forum

Join the forum, it's quick and easy

NJ Strong Weather Forum
NJ Strong Weather Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

The PLAY PEN-- Banter Thread 4.0

+46
Angela0621
Carvin
SoulSingMG
Irish
Joe Snow
lglickman1
RJB8525
ruggerij
adamfitz1969
Taffy
mako460
Math23x7
Scullybutcher
Quietace
algae888
dkodgis
essexcountypete
Vinnydula
JackShephard
skinsfan1177
brownie
nutleyblizzard
aiannone
crippo84
frank 638
weatherwatchermom
Grselig
amugs
rb924119
heehaw453
docstox12
SENJsnowman
Wheezer
jimv45
billg315
jmanley32
mikeypizano
hyde345
CPcantmeasuresnow
mwilli5783
Frank_Wx
HectorO
Radz
GreyBeard
Dunnzoo
sroc4
50 posters

Page 1 of 36 1, 2, 3 ... 18 ... 36  Next

Go down

The PLAY PEN-- Banter Thread 4.0 Empty The PLAY PEN-- Banter Thread 4.0

Post by sroc4 Wed Dec 26, 2018 9:06 am

If you wish to whine specifically about the pattern for any reason feel free to put yourself in here for a time out.

WINTER 2014/2015 TOTALS 71.20"WINTER 2019/2020 TOTALS 6.35"
WINTER 2015/2016 TOTALS 35.00"WINTER 2020/2021 TOTALS 37.75"
WINTER 2016/2017 TOTALS 42.25"WINTER 2021/2022 TOTALS 31.65" 
sroc4
sroc4
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

The PLAY PEN-- Banter Thread 4.0 Empty Re: The PLAY PEN-- Banter Thread 4.0

Post by Dunnzoo Wed Dec 26, 2018 9:14 am

Brilliant!

Snowfall winter of 2023-2024  17.5"    

Snowfall winter of 2022-2023       6.0"
Snowfall winter of 2021-2022     17.6"    1" sleet 2/25/22
Snowfall winter of 2020-2021     51.1"
Snowfall winter of 2019-2020       8.5"
Snowfall winter of 2018-2019     25.1"
Snowfall winter of 2017-2018     51.9"
Snowfall winter of 2016-2017     45.6"
Snowfall winter of 2015-2016     29.5"
Snowfall winter of 2014-2015     50.55"
Snowfall winter of 2013-2014     66.5"
Dunnzoo
Dunnzoo
Senior Enthusiast - Mod
Senior Enthusiast - Mod

Back to top Go down

Post by GreyBeard Wed Dec 26, 2018 9:26 am

Dunnzoo wrote:Brilliant!

X2. You must have read my mind Scott. I saw the whining was starting up again already in the winter ferocity thread Sad . Hopefully, the crying will be confined in this thread. You might need to put a changing table in here too Wink

GreyBeard
Senior Enthusiast
Senior Enthusiast

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Wed Dec 26, 2018 10:09 am

I can’t get past the fact that in early November we heard UNIFORMLY that this would be an epic cold snowy winter. Especially December and February while January would be a reload month

Then we got the 4-6” storm in November followed by a month of cold and it was like Ef yeah. Game on. 6 full weeks later we’ve been shut out and the pattern change keeps getting pushed back.
I JUST WISH I COULD NOT READ ABOUT WEATHER OR CARE ABOUT IT BECAUSE OF ALL THE FORECASTS ON HERE THAT HAVE LET ME DOWN. BUT I CANT. ITS LIKE A DRUG. THIS SUCKS SOOOOOOOOOKOOOO BAD

Back to top Go down

Post by Radz Wed Dec 26, 2018 11:14 am

This is great Scott!
Radz
Radz
Pro Enthusiast
Pro Enthusiast

Back to top Go down

Post by HectorO Wed Dec 26, 2018 11:43 am

Or you just could have reminded everyone about banter thread. But what's the fun in that when you're "administrator" level Laughing
HectorO
HectorO
Pro Enthusiast
Pro Enthusiast

Back to top Go down

Post by Frank_Wx Wed Dec 26, 2018 12:01 pm

HectorO wrote:Or you just could have reminded everyone about banter thread. But what's the fun in that when you're "administrator" level Laughing

The other banter thread is almost full anyway. This will be the new one

CLICK HERE to view NJ Strong Snowstorm Classifications
Frank_Wx
Frank_Wx
Godzilla Seeker
Godzilla Seeker

http://njstrongweather.blogspot.com/

Back to top Go down

Post by mwilli5783 Wed Dec 26, 2018 12:23 pm

best christmas gift....all expenses paid trip to minnapolis 4/14/4/21 my friends pitched on this so we all get to see paisley park on the tour they know 2018 was a very bad year for me so can't wait 4 2019 to begin....

mwilli5783

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Wed Dec 26, 2018 1:11 pm

I quit getting upset about the weather a long time ago. It didn't take much time on the board to realize how incredibly complex the systems are and with that comes an incredible amount of unpredictability. Sure, the lack of snow is disappointing, but it's ultimately beyond our control. Truth be told, I feel a lot worse for all of the guys who put in so many hours studying models and trying to figure out what's going to happen only to have it not pan out the way they originally thought. So to Frank and Sroc and Ray and everybody else who takes the time to put in all of the effort, thanks for the hard work and dedication to keeping us as informed as possible.

Back to top Go down

Post by CPcantmeasuresnow Wed Dec 26, 2018 1:43 pm

TheAresian wrote:I quit getting upset about the weather a long time ago. It didn't take much time on the board to realize how incredibly complex the systems are and with that comes an incredible amount of unpredictability. Sure, the lack of snow is disappointing, but it's ultimately beyond our control. Truth be told, I feel a lot worse for all of the guys who put in so many hours studying models and trying to figure out what's going to happen only to have it not pan out the way they originally thought. So to Frank and Sroc and Ray and everybody else who takes the time to put in all of the effort, thanks for the hard work and dedication to keeping us as informed as possible.

Hey, this isn't a rant, this belongs in the common sense thread.
CPcantmeasuresnow
CPcantmeasuresnow
Wx Statistician Guru
Wx Statistician Guru

Back to top Go down

Post by CPcantmeasuresnow Wed Dec 26, 2018 1:49 pm

I am definitely against nuclear war but this MJO phase 5 thing is really annoying. Is there a way we could drop some type of contained nuclear weapon over the MJO region (not on the ground but in the high atmosphere) to get the damn thing out of phase 5? It may seem drastic to some but it would make many on this board happy if it worked.
CPcantmeasuresnow
CPcantmeasuresnow
Wx Statistician Guru
Wx Statistician Guru

Back to top Go down

Post by hyde345 Wed Dec 26, 2018 1:53 pm

December has been disappointing snow wise so I dont blame anybody for bitching. Looking at next 10 days I'm not seeing anything that gets me excited either.
hyde345
hyde345
Pro Enthusiast
Pro Enthusiast

Back to top Go down

Post by GreyBeard Wed Dec 26, 2018 2:11 pm

A lot of bad MoJO going on!

GreyBeard
Senior Enthusiast
Senior Enthusiast

Back to top Go down

Post by mikeypizano Wed Dec 26, 2018 2:29 pm

syosnow94 wrote:I can’t get past the fact that in early November we heard UNIFORMLY that this would be an epic cold snowy winter. Especially December and February while January would be a reload month

Then we got the 4-6” storm in November followed by a month of cold and it was like Ef yeah. Game on. 6 full weeks later we’ve been shut out and the pattern change keeps getting pushed back.
I JUST WISH I COULD NOT READ ABOUT WEATHER OR CARE ABOUT IT BECAUSE OF ALL THE FORECASTS ON HERE THAT HAVE LET ME DOWN. BUT I CANT. ITS LIKE A DRUG. THIS SUCKS SOOOOOOOOOKOOOO BAD

The real issue? You believed them...
mikeypizano
mikeypizano
Pro Enthusiast
Pro Enthusiast

Back to top Go down

Post by HectorO Wed Dec 26, 2018 2:46 pm

mikeypizano wrote:
syosnow94 wrote:I can’t get past the fact that in early November we heard UNIFORMLY that this would be an epic cold snowy winter. Especially December and February while January would be a reload month

Calm down everyone, there's a pattern change expected some time between 12/27/18- 02/28/19. It's coming.
HectorO
HectorO
Pro Enthusiast
Pro Enthusiast

Back to top Go down

Post by mikeypizano Wed Dec 26, 2018 2:47 pm

HectorO wrote:
mikeypizano wrote:

Calm down everyone, there's a pattern change expected some time between 12/27/18- 02/28/19.  It's coming.

Not to be rude Hector but I will believe it when its snowing. I have been screwed too many times to count...
mikeypizano
mikeypizano
Pro Enthusiast
Pro Enthusiast

Back to top Go down

Post by HectorO Wed Dec 26, 2018 2:52 pm

mikeypizano wrote:
HectorO wrote:
mikeypizano wrote:

Calm down everyone, there's a pattern change expected some time between 12/27/18- 02/28/19.  It's coming.

Not to be rude Hector but I will believe it when its snowing. I have been screwed too many times to count...

I was trying to be somewhat sarcastic and funny anyways lol.
HectorO
HectorO
Pro Enthusiast
Pro Enthusiast

Back to top Go down

Post by mikeypizano Wed Dec 26, 2018 2:53 pm

HectorO wrote:
mikeypizano wrote:
HectorO wrote:
mikeypizano wrote:

I was trying to be somewhat sarcastic and funny anyways lol.

I didn't notice, I was to busy rolling my eyes at "pattern change" Laughing
mikeypizano
mikeypizano
Pro Enthusiast
Pro Enthusiast

Back to top Go down

Post by HectorO Wed Dec 26, 2018 3:13 pm

Hahah
HectorO
HectorO
Pro Enthusiast
Pro Enthusiast

Back to top Go down

Post by jmanley32 Wed Dec 26, 2018 4:46 pm

HectorO wrote:Hahah
Sometime between Now till the end of Feb, LOL
jmanley32
jmanley32
Senior Enthusiast
Senior Enthusiast

Back to top Go down

Post by billg315 Wed Dec 26, 2018 5:44 pm

Oh what a lovely discussion you guys are having. So clever and witty.

Gee, what a great weather forecasting/discussion site this would be if the people who put so much time and effort into the forecasting, discussion and education here simply said, "well since there are no certainties in weather we should just post no forecasts, predictions, speculations, or any such discussions of future weather patterns. We'll just sit here and post what the weather outside is at this moment."

Guess what? You don't need a weather forum for that -- its called your current weather phone app. Instead of logging in here, log in there. Bingo! No more disappointment. No more need to "roll eyes!"

It seems to me, if you don't respect the people on here who post these discussions and forecasts -- and frankly some of the commentary here in the past couple of days (particularly just above this) seems to have moved from just being unhappy with the weather, toward criticism/sarcasm about the forecasts and by extension the forecasters on here -- then why are you here? You can just open the weather app on your phone and see what the weather is. Or look out your window? You really don't need this site if the only reason you are here is to post about how you are "rolling your eyes" at the forecasts that are posted.

This is a forum for people who enjoy the science of weather forecasting to discuss weather trends and patterns, learn about the weather, and to participate in weather forecasting. That means people will post ideas that will sometimes not pan out. Sometimes they will pan out. Sometimes they will need to be adjusted as the pattern/systems progress. That is precisely what makes it an interesting science.

If that type of uncertainty is NOT of interest to you, then truthfully -- and I mean this respectfully -- this is not the place for you. I can save you all a lot of heartache here with this one fact: IF YOU WANT ABSOLUTE CERTAINTY IN WHAT IS GOING TO HAPPEN IN THE NEXT ONE, TWO, THREE WEEKS, A WEATHER FORECASTING SITE (ANY weather forecasting site) IS NOT FOR YOU!!!!!! Simply logout, don't come back, and you will be more peaceful and happy.

I find the tenor of the discussion here extremely disrespectful to people like Frank, Scott, Al, Rb, and others who for no compensation, spend a lot of time posting their thoughts and forecasts, and KNOWLEDGE, for us to digest, discuss, and maybe even disagree with -- RESPECTFULLY. It's one thing to come one here and be unhappy with the weather pattern. That is perfectly fine. But if the purpose of your post is to complain that a weather forecast hasn't panned out exactly as expected, I just don't get the point.

I try really hard to not respond to these types of things, but it just amazes me that there are people on a WEATHER site griping about forecasts being adjusted or changed. THIS ENTIRE SCIENCE IS BASED AROUND THINGS CONSTANTLY CHANGING AND EVOLVING. It's called the ATMOSPHERE! If you want certainty go to a website where they do simple math equations all day. Something like this: "I predict if you add two complaints to the two complaints already posted, you'll have four complaints"!!!! See, that's a prediction that is CERTAIN to be true.

billg315
billg315
Advanced Forecaster - Mod
Advanced Forecaster - Mod

Back to top Go down

Post by jimv45 Wed Dec 26, 2018 6:20 pm

Bravo Bravo Billg315. You said all I wanted to say many times on here. I stayed away from the site just to check in once and a while for the reasons you said above. The weather is so hard to nail down weeks out With so many changing parts, the people you spoke of that keep us updated are fantastic at what they do, keep up the good work.

jimv45
Senior Enthusiast
Senior Enthusiast

Back to top Go down

Post by Wheezer Wed Dec 26, 2018 6:54 pm

Don't we go through this every winter?

Wheezer

Back to top Go down

Post by HectorO Wed Dec 26, 2018 7:02 pm

billg315 wrote:Oh what a lovely discussion you guys are having. So clever and witty.

Gee, what a great weather forecasting/discussion site this would be if the people who put so much time and effort into the forecasting, discussion and education here simply said, "well since there are no certainties in weather we should just post no forecasts, predictions, speculations, or any such discussions of future weather patterns. We'll just sit here and post what the weather outside is at this moment."

Guess what? You don't need a weather forum for that -- its called your current weather phone app. Instead of logging in here, log in there. Bingo! No more disappointment. No more need to "roll eyes!"

It seems to me, if you don't respect the people on here who post these discussions and forecasts -- and frankly some of the commentary here in the past couple of days (particularly just above this) seems to have moved from just being unhappy with the weather, toward criticism/sarcasm about the forecasts and by extension the forecasters on here -- then why are you here?  You can just open the weather app on your phone and see what the weather is. Or look out your window? You really don't need this site if the only reason you are here is to post about how you are "rolling your eyes" at the forecasts that are posted.

This is a forum for people who enjoy the science of weather forecasting to discuss weather trends and patterns, learn about the weather, and to participate in weather forecasting.  That means people will post ideas that will sometimes not pan out. Sometimes they will pan out. Sometimes they will need to be adjusted as the pattern/systems progress. That is precisely what makes it an interesting science.

If that type of uncertainty is NOT of interest to you, then truthfully -- and I mean this respectfully -- this is not the place for you.  I can save you all a lot of heartache here with this one fact: IF YOU WANT ABSOLUTE CERTAINTY IN WHAT IS GOING TO HAPPEN IN THE NEXT ONE, TWO, THREE WEEKS, A WEATHER FORECASTING SITE (ANY weather forecasting site) IS NOT FOR YOU!!!!!! Simply logout, don't come back, and you will be more peaceful and happy.

I find the tenor of the discussion here extremely disrespectful to people like Frank, Scott, Al, Rb, and others who for no compensation, spend a lot of time posting their thoughts and forecasts, and KNOWLEDGE, for us to digest, discuss, and maybe even disagree with -- RESPECTFULLY.  It's one thing to come one here and be unhappy with the weather pattern. That is perfectly fine. But if the purpose of your post is to complain that a weather forecast hasn't panned out exactly as expected, I just don't get the point.

I try really hard to not respond to these types of things, but it just amazes me that there are people on a WEATHER site griping about forecasts being adjusted or changed. THIS ENTIRE SCIENCE IS BASED AROUND THINGS CONSTANTLY CHANGING AND EVOLVING. It's called the ATMOSPHERE! If you want certainty go to a website where they do simple math equations all day. Something like this: "I predict if you add two complaints to the two complaints already posted, you'll have four complaints"!!!! See, that's a prediction that is CERTAIN to be true.

I take it you're from NJ? As a native New Yorker we've always said that people from NJ seem to be a little thin skinned. They can sure dish it but can't take it. Relax, a board was made to make fun of the people (myself included) who are frustrated, so in return the discussion was reversed to take a jab back. If this bothers you then start a "forecasters therapy post" somewhere on here. This is why I was absent from a year on this board. People get too sensitive here.
HectorO
HectorO
Pro Enthusiast
Pro Enthusiast

Back to top Go down

Post by HectorO Wed Dec 26, 2018 7:03 pm

Also, every other forecaster on here has seemed to take the joke except for you. Calm down, take a xanax.
HectorO
HectorO
Pro Enthusiast
Pro Enthusiast

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 1 of 36 1, 2, 3 ... 18 ... 36  Next

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum