NJ Strong Weather Forum

Join the forum, it's quick and easy

NJ Strong Weather Forum
NJ Strong Weather Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

The PLAY PEN-- Banter Thread 4.0

+46
Angela0621
Carvin
SoulSingMG
Irish
Joe Snow
lglickman1
RJB8525
ruggerij
adamfitz1969
Taffy
mako460
Math23x7
Scullybutcher
Quietace
algae888
dkodgis
essexcountypete
Vinnydula
JackShephard
skinsfan1177
brownie
nutleyblizzard
aiannone
crippo84
frank 638
weatherwatchermom
Grselig
amugs
rb924119
heehaw453
docstox12
SENJsnowman
Wheezer
jimv45
billg315
jmanley32
mikeypizano
hyde345
CPcantmeasuresnow
mwilli5783
Frank_Wx
HectorO
Radz
GreyBeard
Dunnzoo
sroc4
50 posters

Page 9 of 36 Previous  1 ... 6 ... 8, 9, 10 ... 22 ... 36  Next

Go down

The PLAY PEN-- Banter Thread 4.0 - Page 9 Empty Re: The PLAY PEN-- Banter Thread 4.0

Post by heehaw453 Mon Jan 07, 2019 3:03 pm

100% agree. I think we need 3-6" good faith snowfall from this winter pretty soon. KU's are awesome, but i'm at the point now where 3-6" will feel like a KU event.

heehaw453
Advanced Forecaster
Advanced Forecaster

Back to top Go down

The PLAY PEN-- Banter Thread 4.0 - Page 9 Empty Re: The PLAY PEN-- Banter Thread 4.0

Post by essexcountypete Mon Jan 07, 2019 3:09 pm

HectorO wrote:
JackShephard wrote:Anyone know how many weekends we have had rain in the past 6 months? I'm guessing it's a lot.

Rain in the past 6-7 months in general has been too much. I guess one thing is for sure, we don't have to worry about lack of moisture. Springtime there should be no issue with these trees blooming. As a matter of fact, if this current pattern continues oh, we're going to see a lot of trees and plants start to bloom early. Some people on this message board have already said that some of their trees are starting to produce bulbs.

My daffodils are about an inch up out of the ground atm. That's not that uncommon, as they are in a sunny spot, but it's a sign alright.

essexcountypete
Pro Enthusiast
Pro Enthusiast

Back to top Go down

Post by docstox12 Mon Jan 07, 2019 3:11 pm

Grselig wrote:Referring to long term thread.  Doc and CP.  yes i agree. Getting invested emotionally is dangerous and i can’t avoid it.  Roller coaster is happening again.   We need something or there is going to be roof jumping. the indicators may seem in place but if no production it’s wasted.

You have that right Grselig, almost two months now (Nov 15) we have had a solid snowstorm.Two months burnt.Hoping for a good late January through March snow pattern does arrive but this suppression of the weekend system with the cold air we need in place will be a rotten blow for sure.
docstox12
docstox12
Wx Statistician Guru
Wx Statistician Guru

Back to top Go down

Post by docstox12 Mon Jan 07, 2019 3:14 pm

essexcountypete wrote:
HectorO wrote:
JackShephard wrote:Anyone know how many weekends we have had rain in the past 6 months? I'm guessing it's a lot.

Rain in the past 6-7 months in general has been too much. I guess one thing is for sure, we don't have to worry about lack of moisture. Springtime there should be no issue with these trees blooming. As a matter of fact, if this current pattern continues oh, we're going to see a lot of trees and plants start to bloom early. Some people on this message board have already said that some of their trees are starting to produce bulbs.

My daffodils are about an inch up out of the ground atm. That's not that uncommon, as they are in a sunny spot, but it's a sign alright.

Not too concerned about that Pete.Last year in February I was outside walking in the warmth with trees budding out leaves.Then last March we had 50 inches of snow.CP mentioned it has been way above normal mid December to now temp wise.
docstox12
docstox12
Wx Statistician Guru
Wx Statistician Guru

Back to top Go down

Post by Grselig Mon Jan 07, 2019 3:41 pm

docstox12 wrote:
Grselig wrote:Referring to long term thread.  Doc and CP.  yes i agree. Getting invested emotionally is dangerous and i can’t avoid it.  Roller coaster is happening again.   We need something or there is going to be roof jumping. the indicators may seem in place but if no production it’s wasted.

You have that right Grselig, almost two months now (Nov 15) we have had a solid snowstorm.Two months burnt.Hoping for a good late January through March snow pattern does arrive but this suppression of the weekend system with the cold air we need in place will be a rotten blow for sure.

Well, I'm still going to jump off the weather roof. My heart has been broken too many times and my hope (despite potential for Jan 17) is in shambles. I'm just not the man I used to be.
Grselig
Grselig
Senior Enthusiast
Senior Enthusiast

Back to top Go down

Post by GreyBeard Mon Jan 07, 2019 4:05 pm

The way I look at it, if the winter solstice was on Dec. 21st. then we are only 17 days into winter. I think that fluke snowstorm in mid Nov. got a lot of people thinking that it was going to be a banner year for snow.

GreyBeard
Senior Enthusiast
Senior Enthusiast

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Mon Jan 07, 2019 4:18 pm

GreyBeard wrote:The way I look at it, if the winter solstice was on Dec. 21st. then we are only 17 days into winter. I think that fluke snowstorm in mid Nov. got a lot of people thinking that it was going to be a banner year for snow.

That and most people who forecast predicting as much. Yes. The only ones who didn’t where NWS.

Back to top Go down

Post by essexcountypete Mon Jan 07, 2019 4:30 pm

docstox12 wrote:
essexcountypete wrote:
HectorO wrote:

Not too concerned about that Pete.Last year in February I was outside walking in the warmth with trees budding out leaves.Then last March we had 50 inches of snow.CP mentioned it has been way above normal mid December to now temp wise.

Yeah, I'm not too concerned, but hard freezes late cut down on the number of blooms, so no February whammies please Smile
essexcountypete
essexcountypete
Pro Enthusiast
Pro Enthusiast

Back to top Go down

Post by HectorO Mon Jan 07, 2019 8:08 pm

GreyBeard wrote:The way I look at it, if the winter solstice was on Dec. 21st. then we are only 17 days into winter. I think that fluke snowstorm in mid Nov. got a lot of people thinking that it was going to be a banner year for snow.

But the meteorological winter started December 1st and come February the sun angle changes and March is a wildcard month that could be snowy or 65 and rainy almost every day
HectorO
HectorO
Pro Enthusiast
Pro Enthusiast

Back to top Go down

Post by GreyBeard Mon Jan 07, 2019 9:10 pm

HectorO wrote:

But the meteorological winter started December 1st and come February the sun angle changes and March is a wildcard month that could be snowy or 65 and rainy almost every day

Guess I'm showing my age here, Hector, but for me spring started on March 21,Summer June21, Fall Sept.21 and Winter Dec.21. Easy peasey 3 months per season. I guess "meteorological" winter was around back then, but I don't really remember it being referenced much. Hell, I remember as a kid you didn't really get too much warning when a big snowstorm was coming, and honestly, I kinda liked it that way. More surprises and less disappointment.

GreyBeard
Senior Enthusiast
Senior Enthusiast

Back to top Go down

Post by docstox12 Tue Jan 08, 2019 5:35 am

GreyBeard wrote:
HectorO wrote:

Guess I'm showing my age here, Hector, but for me spring started on March 21,Summer June21, Fall Sept.21 and Winter Dec.21. Easy peasey 3 months per season. I guess "meteorological" winter was around back then, but I don't really remember it being referenced much. Hell, I remember as a kid you didn't really get too much warning when a big snowstorm was coming, and honestly, I kinda liked it that way. More surprises and less disappointment.

Agree 100% Greybeard.All you had was the news at 7 and 11 or you tuned in to a radio station when they had the news every half hour or hour.No computers, no apps, no radar.The biggest tech advance for me was the Radioshack Weather Cube Radio that gave you NOOA 24/7.They changed the tape every hour on the hour.
docstox12
docstox12
Wx Statistician Guru
Wx Statistician Guru

Back to top Go down

Post by dkodgis Tue Jan 08, 2019 7:31 am

Doc, do you still have the cube? I still have mine
dkodgis
dkodgis
Senior Enthusiast
Senior Enthusiast

Back to top Go down

Post by dkodgis Tue Jan 08, 2019 7:34 am

It does seem like lots of moisture/warm amd no moisture/cold. These are the cards Mother Nature has thrown down on the table. A card player knows he has to work with the hand.
dkodgis
dkodgis
Senior Enthusiast
Senior Enthusiast

Back to top Go down

Post by mikeypizano Tue Jan 08, 2019 7:50 am

Can’t even get snow here, we got almost all sleet last night...
mikeypizano
mikeypizano
Pro Enthusiast
Pro Enthusiast

Back to top Go down

Post by docstox12 Tue Jan 08, 2019 8:50 am

dkodgis wrote:Doc, do you still have the cube? I still have mine

Damian, I think I may have it stored somewhere amongst the detritus of my life.My Mom and Dad bought me mine way back when as they knew of my interest in weather.It was the best thing ever back then, a direct line to NOOA.I remember a radio station, maybe WNEW AM, that played the current NOOA tape as their weather forecast.When you owned the cube, you had your own 24/7.
docstox12
docstox12
Wx Statistician Guru
Wx Statistician Guru

Back to top Go down

Post by docstox12 Tue Jan 08, 2019 8:51 am

dkodgis wrote:It does seem like lots of moisture/warm amd no moisture/cold. These are the cards Mother Nature has thrown down on the table.  A card player knows he has to work with the hand.

And many a time you have to play out a bad hand no matter what.Let's hope we get dealt a Full House for snow and cold soon.
docstox12
docstox12
Wx Statistician Guru
Wx Statistician Guru

Back to top Go down

Post by Grselig Tue Jan 08, 2019 8:55 am

docstox12 wrote:
dkodgis wrote:It does seem like lots of moisture/warm amd no moisture/cold. These are the cards Mother Nature has thrown down on the table.  A card player knows he has to work with the hand.

And many a time you have to play out a bad hand no matter what.Let's hope we get dealt a Full House for snow and cold soon.

Enough said. https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=7hx4gdlfamo
Grselig
Grselig
Senior Enthusiast
Senior Enthusiast

Back to top Go down

Post by HectorO Wed Jan 09, 2019 12:34 pm

docstox12 wrote:
essexcountypete wrote:
HectorO wrote:

Doc a month makes a difference. Today in Edgewater I noticed a tree already blooming red leaves and flowers. Actually several trees, wish I knew the name of them. I also saw fresh greenery. This isn't February its just January lol.
HectorO
HectorO
Pro Enthusiast
Pro Enthusiast

Back to top Go down

Post by Grselig Wed Jan 09, 2019 1:47 pm

Heck. Winter is over (at least till the next threat). Maybe the Mets will be decent this year. In Wayne i don’t see any blooming yet.
Grselig
Grselig
Senior Enthusiast
Senior Enthusiast

Back to top Go down

Post by mikeypizano Wed Jan 09, 2019 1:53 pm

Grselig wrote:Heck.  Winter is over (at least till the next threat).  Maybe the Mets will be decent this year.  In Wayne i don’t see any blooming yet.

Naw, Red Sox will win every game...
mikeypizano
mikeypizano
Pro Enthusiast
Pro Enthusiast

Back to top Go down

Post by SENJsnowman Wed Jan 09, 2019 2:09 pm

mikeypizano wrote:
Grselig wrote:Heck.  Winter is over (at least till the next threat).  Maybe the Mets will be decent this year.  In Wayne i don’t see any blooming yet.

And get all the snow. Tired Mad

SENJsnowman
Senior Enthusiast
Senior Enthusiast

Back to top Go down

Post by Grselig Wed Jan 09, 2019 2:37 pm

SENJsnowman wrote:
mikeypizano wrote:

And get all the snow.  Tired Mad

Well then it’s obvious. The Red Sox must be sacrificed for our winter. Fair deal
Grselig
Grselig
Senior Enthusiast
Senior Enthusiast

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Wed Jan 09, 2019 4:41 pm

Things are sooo freakin bad that after a month of monsoon rains in the winter we HAVE THE COLD. WE HAVE THE STORM (which almost always would give us a Godzilla) AND EVEN THAT IS NOT GOOD ENOUGH.   I say keep your one to two inches please. I’ll golf. This is getting comical.

7 day total qpf from the NWS
The PLAY PEN-- Banter Thread 4.0 - Page 9 84708e10

Back to top Go down

Post by Grselig Wed Jan 09, 2019 5:01 pm

My forecast for next week. Cold cold dry rain. Yeah it’s possible this winter
Grselig
Grselig
Senior Enthusiast
Senior Enthusiast

Back to top Go down

Post by GreyBeard Wed Jan 09, 2019 9:19 pm

I always heard that we need blocking to keep the cold air in place. Now we have the blocking and storms are getting pushed south. Is there such a thing as too much blocking?

And Hector, that fresh greenery you saw today are evergreens and pine trees, whose names you seem to have forgotten. Wink

GreyBeard
Senior Enthusiast
Senior Enthusiast

Back to top Go down

Post by CPcantmeasuresnow Wed Jan 09, 2019 9:49 pm

SENJsnowman wrote:
mikeypizano wrote:

So far B oston has had 0.2 inches of snow this winter season so let's not go there.

They had almost all rain from the Nov 15th system, other than 0.2 inches, that most of our area saw 6-12 inches. At least we had that, but it's becoming a distant faded memory.

This winter just plain blows.
CPcantmeasuresnow
CPcantmeasuresnow
Wx Statistician Guru
Wx Statistician Guru

Back to top Go down

Post by SENJsnowman Wed Jan 09, 2019 10:40 pm

CPcantmeasuresnow wrote:
SENJsnowman wrote:
mikeypizano wrote:

So far B oston has had 0.2 inches of snow this winter season so let's not go there.

They had almost all rain from the Nov 15th system, other than 0.2 inches, that most of our area saw 6-12 inches. At least we had that, but it's becoming a distant faded memory.

This winter just plain blows.

You know, that actually makes me feel better. A lot better! And it's an honor to be stat-checked by the Guru!

This winter has just blown...my most recent memory of snow involved thundersnow and 3-4 hours of 2-3" on the 3rd day of Spring! (Numbers are rough estimates only btw lol). My problem is, when it comes to snow imby, I am inflicted with incurable (so it seems) optimism. So, when I see 2 or 3 bad runs in a row, I just assume it's gonna wiper back in the right direction. Usually doesn't though...and this year always doesn't.

SENJsnowman
Senior Enthusiast
Senior Enthusiast

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 9 of 36 Previous  1 ... 6 ... 8, 9, 10 ... 22 ... 36  Next

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum