NJ Strong Weather Forum

Join the forum, it's quick and easy

NJ Strong Weather Forum
NJ Strong Weather Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

The PLAY PEN-- Banter Thread 4.0

+46
Angela0621
Carvin
SoulSingMG
Irish
Joe Snow
lglickman1
RJB8525
ruggerij
adamfitz1969
Taffy
mako460
Math23x7
Scullybutcher
Quietace
algae888
dkodgis
essexcountypete
Vinnydula
JackShephard
skinsfan1177
brownie
nutleyblizzard
aiannone
crippo84
frank 638
weatherwatchermom
Grselig
amugs
rb924119
heehaw453
docstox12
SENJsnowman
Wheezer
jimv45
billg315
jmanley32
mikeypizano
hyde345
CPcantmeasuresnow
mwilli5783
Frank_Wx
HectorO
Radz
GreyBeard
Dunnzoo
sroc4
50 posters

Page 30 of 36 Previous  1 ... 16 ... 29, 30, 31 ... 36  Next

Go down

The PLAY PEN-- Banter Thread 4.0 - Page 30 Empty Re: The PLAY PEN-- Banter Thread 4.0

Post by sroc4 Tue Feb 12, 2019 7:29 am

I just had to share. So my daughter this morning and I, she's 8, are waiting at the bus stop and we are talking about random stuff. It begins to flurry and she realizes it and out of the blue says,

"OMG Daddy!! It worked!"
"What worked? What are you talking about?"
"Last night I told Owen, (her 10yr old brother), to wear his pajama's inside out, put a spoon under his pillow, and put ice cubes in the toilet bowl to make it snow. IT WORKED!! IT WORKED!!"

Future winter weather weenie in the making....so proud. LOL

sroc4
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

The PLAY PEN-- Banter Thread 4.0 - Page 30 Empty Re: The PLAY PEN-- Banter Thread 4.0

Post by billg315 Tue Feb 12, 2019 7:31 am

Lol! The ice cubes in the toilet I had not heard of!

billg315
Advanced Forecaster - Mod

Back to top Go down

Post by CPcantmeasuresnow Tue Feb 12, 2019 8:22 am

billg315 wrote:Disclaimer: This is not my forecast. It is my "worst case scenario" from past experience with these types of storms.

So I've been burned by these snow to sleet to rain storms before. How does it all go wrong? Here is how it usually goes.

1. I go to bed with a forecast of accumulating snow slowly changing to sleet and then rain much later. Im not expecting a big storm, but hope for a few hours of decent snow and sleet before the rain arrives.
2. I wake up at 6 a.m. I look out my window and see  . . . nothing. Ground is dry, no snow yet. Radar shows light snow over me, but not reaching the ground yet. Temp is 32* instead of the forecast low of 27*
3. At 8 a.m. after two hours of anxious waiting the snow begins falling lightly. I hope this is the start. The temp drops a degree or two which encourages me.
4. 10 a.m. the snow picks up intensity to moderate levels. Ground is coated now and the temp is 30* and things are looking good.
5. 11 a.m. I hear that sound. Sleet pelting my windows. What? Too soon! I don't even have 1" of snow yet.
6. 12 noon full on sleet and temp is rising to 32*.
7. 12:30 p.m. rain starts mixing with sleet. Temp hits 33*
8. 1 p.m. All rain now. 34*  and the 1-2" of snow and sleet slowly turns to slush and puddles. I kick myself for getting hopes up about another of these transition storms.

This, is my nightmare. It has played out many times just like this. I hope this is not one of them.

Check 1, 2 and 3.

5 more steps to go to complete the nightmare. It's happening, it's written in stone now.
CPcantmeasuresnow
CPcantmeasuresnow
Wx Statistician Guru
Wx Statistician Guru

Back to top Go down

Post by billg315 Tue Feb 12, 2019 8:26 am

CPcantmeasuresnow wrote:
billg315 wrote:Disclaimer: This is not my forecast. It is my "worst case scenario" from past experience with these types of storms.

So I've been burned by these snow to sleet to rain storms before. How does it all go wrong? Here is how it usually goes.

1. I go to bed with a forecast of accumulating snow slowly changing to sleet and then rain much later. Im not expecting a big storm, but hope for a few hours of decent snow and sleet before the rain arrives.
2. I wake up at 6 a.m. I look out my window and see  . . . nothing. Ground is dry, no snow yet. Radar shows light snow over me, but not reaching the ground yet. Temp is 32* instead of the forecast low of 27*
3. At 8 a.m. after two hours of anxious waiting the snow begins falling lightly. I hope this is the start. The temp drops a degree or two which encourages me.
4. 10 a.m. the snow picks up intensity to moderate levels. Ground is coated now and the temp is 30* and things are looking good.
5. 11 a.m. I hear that sound. Sleet pelting my windows. What? Too soon! I don't even have 1" of snow yet.
8. 1 p.m. All rain now. 34*  and the 1-2" of snow and sleet slowly turns to slush and puddles. I kick myself for getting hopes up about another of these transition storms.

This, is my nightmare. It has played out many times just like this. I hope this is not one of them.

Check 1, 2 and 3.

5 more steps to go to complete the nightmare. It's happening, it's written in stone now.

CP, I have been checking those boxes myself here and thinking the same thing. Here we go again.
billg315
billg315

Back to top Go down

Post by brownie Tue Feb 12, 2019 8:34 am

CPcantmeasuresnow wrote:

Check 1, 2 and 3.

Haha.  

1.  I woke up at 3:30 am and looked outside.  Nothing.  Too early, I told myself.  Went back to sleep.

2.  I woke up at 5 am and looked outside.  Nothing.  Still too early, I told myself.  Went back to sleep.

3.  I woke up at 7:30 am and looked outside.  Still nothing.  What?!?!  Starting to get concerned.  Got up and made coffee.

4.  It’s 8:30 am, the radar shows a moderate shade of green over me and still nothing is falling from the sky.  *sigh*. Getting frustrated.  At least I have a snow day off from work. Yay?

Edit: And no sooner do I click send, and very fine snow starts to fall. *laughs*

brownie

Back to top Go down

Post by billg315 Tue Feb 12, 2019 9:24 am

I think I’m checking #4 right now with #5 soon to follow. It is scary how on-point this has turned out to be. Lol.
billg315
billg315

Back to top Go down

Post by RJB8525 Tue Feb 12, 2019 9:53 am

another storm that i set myself up for. mixing already radar isn't picking up the mix. probably cut the snow totals in half now so 1-2" i'd assume.
RJB8525
RJB8525
Senior Enthusiast
Senior Enthusiast

Back to top Go down

Post by mikeypizano Tue Feb 12, 2019 9:57 am

I have a mix here, radar shows all snow. Like half inch on ground, with sleet already mixing in makes me think I won't see much. Probably going to wash away when rain starts winning... Can we have spring now?
mikeypizano
mikeypizano
Pro Enthusiast
Pro Enthusiast

Back to top Go down

Post by RJB8525 Tue Feb 12, 2019 9:57 am

mikeypizano wrote:I have a mix here, radar shows all snow. Like half inch on ground, with sleet already mixing in makes me think I won't see much. Probably going to wash away when rain starts winning... Can we have spring now?

the real winter is coming later, rain
RJB8525
RJB8525
Senior Enthusiast
Senior Enthusiast

Back to top Go down

Post by CPcantmeasuresnow Tue Feb 12, 2019 10:01 am

billg315 wrote:I think I’m checking #4 right now with #5 soon to follow. It is scary how on-point this has turned out to be. Lol.

Did you touch Othelia, and I don't mean inappropriately, maybe just inadvertently at a hospital visit?

Your powers of foresight this morning are a little eerie. I think some powers may have been passed on to you.
CPcantmeasuresnow
CPcantmeasuresnow
Wx Statistician Guru
Wx Statistician Guru

Back to top Go down

Post by billg315 Tue Feb 12, 2019 10:15 am

CPcantmeasuresnow wrote:
billg315 wrote:I think I’m checking #4 right now with #5 soon to follow. It is scary how on-point this has turned out to be. Lol.

Did you touch Othelia, and I don't mean inappropriately, maybe just inadvertently at a hospital visit?

Your powers of foresight this morning are a little eerie. I think some powers may have been passed on to you.

I cannot confirm or deny having come in contact with Othelia. But I want to say one thing to the American people. I want you to listen to me. I did not, have, inappropriate relations, with that groundhog, Ms. Othelia. These allegations are false. And I need to go back to work for the American people.
billg315
billg315

Back to top Go down

Post by CPcantmeasuresnow Tue Feb 12, 2019 10:26 am

billg315 wrote:
CPcantmeasuresnow wrote:

I cannot confirm or deny having come in contact with Othelia. But I want to say one thing to the American people. I want you to listen to me. I did not, have, inappropriate relations, with that groundhog, Ms. Othelia. These allegations are false.  And I need to go back to work for the American people.

lol! lol! lol! lol!

Spoken like a true politician, even though technically as a former Chief Justice I guess you weren't really a true politician.
CPcantmeasuresnow
CPcantmeasuresnow
Wx Statistician Guru
Wx Statistician Guru

Back to top Go down

Post by mikeypizano Tue Feb 12, 2019 10:28 am

RJB8525 wrote:
mikeypizano wrote:I have a mix here, radar shows all snow. Like half inch on ground, with sleet already mixing in makes me think I won't see much. Probably going to wash away when rain starts winning... Can we have spring now?

Snow in November is a curse...
mikeypizano
mikeypizano
Pro Enthusiast
Pro Enthusiast

Back to top Go down

Post by CPcantmeasuresnow Tue Feb 12, 2019 10:35 am

mikeypizano wrote:
RJB8525 wrote:

I said it at the time and I have the stats to prove it.

Specifically pre Thanksgiving Day measurable snows IN NYC are a curse for the rest of the winter.
CPcantmeasuresnow
CPcantmeasuresnow
Wx Statistician Guru
Wx Statistician Guru

Back to top Go down

Post by mikeypizano Tue Feb 12, 2019 10:43 am

CPcantmeasuresnow wrote:
mikeypizano wrote:
RJB8525 wrote:

I said it at the time and I have the stats to prove it.

Specifically pre Thanksgiving Day measurable snows  IN NYC are a curse for the rest of the winter.

Last time I had snow on Thanksgiving it was a horrible year, JUST like this one in fact. No large storms, all sloppy and heavy crap...
mikeypizano
mikeypizano
Pro Enthusiast
Pro Enthusiast

Back to top Go down

Post by billg315 Tue Feb 12, 2019 10:48 am

Well it seems to me there is only one rational, level-headed way to deal with this.
In the future, if it starts to snow in November, we all go outside with blowtorches and fire them toward the sky to turn it to rain.
billg315
billg315

Back to top Go down

Post by billg315 Tue Feb 12, 2019 12:36 pm

#6 check (except rising temp part).
billg315
billg315

Back to top Go down

Post by HectorO Tue Feb 12, 2019 1:34 pm

billg315 wrote:Well it seems to me there is only one rational, level-headed way to deal with this.
In the future, if it starts to snow in November, we all go outside with blowtorches and fire them toward the sky to turn it to rain.

This used to be the case with snow in October. Always lead to crappy winters. So let's throw November into that category now too!
HectorO
HectorO
Pro Enthusiast
Pro Enthusiast

Back to top Go down

Post by CPcantmeasuresnow Wed Feb 13, 2019 9:43 am

TWC of course had reporters staked out in B oston yesterday with the headlines Heaviest snow of the season battering B oston.

Well technically the headline was correct, they received 2.4 inches of snow yesterday, which was followed by plain rain, bringing their seasonal total to 4.7 inches since October 1. However to watch their broadcast and interviews with the highway department and people on the street you would have though it was the presidents day blizzard hitting. Embarrassing and that's putting it mildly.
CPcantmeasuresnow
CPcantmeasuresnow
Wx Statistician Guru
Wx Statistician Guru

Back to top Go down

Post by sroc4 Wed Feb 13, 2019 9:48 am

CPcantmeasuresnow wrote:TWC of course had reporters staked out in B oston yesterday with the headlines Heaviest snow of the season battering  B oston.

Well technically the headline was correct, they received 2.4 inches of snow yesterday, which was followed by plain rain, bringing their seasonal total to 4.7 inches since October 1. However to watch their broadcast and interviews with the highway department and people on the street you would have though it was the presidents day blizzard hitting. Embarrassing and that's putting it mildly.

The media covering any news story is a joke these days. That too is putting it mildly.

WINTER 2014/2015 TOTALS 71.20"WINTER 2019/2020 TOTALS 6.35"
WINTER 2015/2016 TOTALS 35.00"WINTER 2020/2021 TOTALS 37.75"
WINTER 2016/2017 TOTALS 42.25"WINTER 2021/2022 TOTALS 31.65" 
sroc4
sroc4
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Grselig Wed Feb 13, 2019 10:49 am

Makes me wonder what will happen if we really do get a real storm. Had to shovel ice this morning. Not fun, but good exercise since no gym time.

I wonder what Jimmy Breslin would say about all this unwarranted hype. Just heard a documentary about him on NPR.
Grselig
Grselig
Senior Enthusiast
Senior Enthusiast

Back to top Go down

Post by Grselig Wed Feb 13, 2019 11:24 am

sroc4 wrote:
CPcantmeasuresnow wrote:TWC of course had reporters staked out in B oston yesterday with the headlines Heaviest snow of the season battering  B oston.

The media covering any news story is a joke these days.  That too is putting it mildly.  

Don't ever forget ( I think it was Mike Seidel?) from the TWC being blown away by Hurricane Florence. No credibility.
Grselig
Grselig
Senior Enthusiast
Senior Enthusiast

Back to top Go down

Post by sroc4 Wed Feb 13, 2019 11:32 am

Grselig wrote:
sroc4 wrote:

The media covering any news story is a joke these days.  That too is putting it mildly.  

Don't ever forget ( I think it was Mike Seidel?) from the TWC being blown away by Hurricane Florence.  No credibility.  

Oh Ill never forget that! The defining moment of his career. lol! lol! lol!

The PLAY PEN-- Banter Thread 4.0 - Page 30 K7rMZyoifdkVGFpRiKxwcV3iJtmoA-Do-iqfeypxkCpZmVc2Ct0Sumu9y9SkzOE45qa3FAMjLPr9x5QgKvcRy9nKm5K0janjbyTERPg=pf-w600-h300

WINTER 2014/2015 TOTALS 71.20"WINTER 2019/2020 TOTALS 6.35"
WINTER 2015/2016 TOTALS 35.00"WINTER 2020/2021 TOTALS 37.75"
WINTER 2016/2017 TOTALS 42.25"WINTER 2021/2022 TOTALS 31.65" 
sroc4
sroc4
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by CPcantmeasuresnow Wed Feb 13, 2019 12:23 pm

sroc4 wrote:
Grselig wrote:
sroc4 wrote:

Don't ever forget ( I think it was Mike Seidel?) from the TWC being blown away by Hurricane Florence.  No credibility.  

Oh Ill never forget that!  The defining moment of his career.   lol!  lol!  lol!

The PLAY PEN-- Banter Thread 4.0 - Page 30 K7rMZyoifdkVGFpRiKxwcV3iJtmoA-Do-iqfeypxkCpZmVc2Ct0Sumu9y9SkzOE45qa3FAMjLPr9x5QgKvcRy9nKm5K0janjbyTERPg=pf-w600-h300

I never saw that, lol! lol! lol! hysterical as everyone casually walks around in the background.

I'll have to try to find that clip from NBC a couple of years ago when the reporter was in the row boat on the street talking about the horrendous flooding, I forget where, and the guy walks in back of his boat in what was about three inches of water at best.

CPcantmeasuresnow
CPcantmeasuresnow
Wx Statistician Guru
Wx Statistician Guru

Back to top Go down

Post by docstox12 Wed Feb 13, 2019 12:51 pm

I saw better staggers than Seidells in old man shot and beer joints back in the 70's.
That was just so horribly bad and hilarious at the same time.
docstox12
docstox12
Wx Statistician Guru
Wx Statistician Guru

Back to top Go down

Post by GreyBeard Wed Feb 13, 2019 2:00 pm

Thought for sure they would can Seidel after that fiasco, but no such luck.

Last edited by GreyBeard on Wed Feb 13, 2019 3:46 pm; edited 2 times in total

GreyBeard
Senior Enthusiast
Senior Enthusiast

Back to top Go down

Post by Grselig Wed Feb 13, 2019 2:01 pm

So it seems that to be on the positive side, the winter of 18-19 shall be dubbed, "The season of the single massive snow squall".
Grselig
Grselig
Senior Enthusiast
Senior Enthusiast

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 30 of 36 Previous  1 ... 16 ... 29, 30, 31 ... 36  Next

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum