Banter Thread 5.0

Page 8 of 10 Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10  Next

Go down

Banter Thread 5.0 - Page 8 Empty Re: Banter Thread 5.0

Post by billg315 on Sun Sep 15, 2019 8:47 am

docstox12 wrote:From the New York Daily News 1962 Weather Almanac

TIROS III HAS A FIELD DAY
On Sept.10,1961,Tiros III, the weather satellite ,viewed and sent back photographs of seven tropical storms.They were hurricanes Betsy,Debbie and Esther in the North Atlantic;hurricane Carla in the Gulf of Mexico;tropical storm Orla off the coast of Lower California, and typhoons Nancy and Pamela off the Asiatic coast

Tiros III, a 285 pound satellite, was launched on July 12,1961, in an orbit designed primarily to search out the development  of tropical storms.Tiros III confirmed the formation of Betsy and Debbie when they were only "suspicious areas" in the Atlantic.A "suspicious area" is the term used by the U.S.Weather Bureau when limited weather reports suggest that weather conditions are ripe for the formation of a tropical storm.However, Esther was the first full-fledged hurricane discovered by a satellite.She was photographed by Tiros III on September 1oth off the African coast in an area from which no surface weather reports were available."

This was back in the stone age of hurricane detection when it took until 1961 to even photograph a hurricane in it's early development.

Great clip. Good reminder of the challenges in weather forecasting just 50 years ago. In one of the many weather books I had growing up it had a satellite pic of 4 or 5 tropical systems in a train in the Atlantic (maybe this was it). Was stunning to see so many big storms lined up in a row. Also a good reminder - 4 active Atlantic-side named storms and one of CA - for those (usually non-weather watchers) who insist on pointing to climate change every time there’s a storm cluster in the tropics, that, no, these things aren’t unprecedented.
billg315
billg315
Advanced Forecaster - Mod

Back to top Go down

Post by billg315 on Sun Sep 15, 2019 8:54 am

Just saw a TWC story that provided some food for thought this morning as winter creeps closer. Houlton, Maine dropped below freezing last night - 37 days before what is its average first freeze date. Also, we have snow in Siberia - also earlier than normal. Two things I like - getting a jump on the Siberian snow pack and a jump on cold air intruding into the northeast.
billg315
billg315

Back to top Go down

Post by docstox12 on Mon Sep 16, 2019 4:34 am

billg315 wrote:
docstox12 wrote:From the New York Daily News 1962 Weather Almanac

TIROS III HAS A FIELD DAY
On Sept.10,1961,Tiros III, the weather satellite ,viewed and sent back photographs of seven tropical storms.They were hurricanes Betsy,Debbie and Esther in the North Atlantic;hurricane Carla in the Gulf of Mexico;tropical storm Orla off the coast of Lower California, and typhoons Nancy and Pamela off the Asiatic coast

Tiros III, a 285 pound satellite, was launched on July 12,1961, in an orbit designed primarily to search out the development  of tropical storms.Tiros III confirmed the formation of Betsy and Debbie when they were only "suspicious areas" in the Atlantic.A "suspicious area" is the term used by the U.S.Weather Bureau when limited weather reports suggest that weather conditions are ripe for the formation of a tropical storm.However, Esther was the first full-fledged hurricane discovered by a satellite.She was photographed by Tiros III on September 1oth off the African coast in an area from which no surface weather reports were available."

This was back in the stone age of hurricane detection when it took until 1961 to even photograph a hurricane in it's early development.

Great clip. Good reminder of the challenges in weather forecasting just 50 years ago. In one of the many weather books I had growing up it had a satellite pic of 4 or 5 tropical systems in a train in the Atlantic (maybe this was it). Was stunning to see so many big storms lined up in a row. Also a good reminder - 4 active Atlantic-side named storms and one of CA - for those (usually non-weather watchers) who insist on pointing to climate change every time there’s a storm cluster in the tropics, that, no, these things aren’t unprecedented.

Billg:
To your point about climate change.Here is another item from the NY Daily News 1962 Weather Almanac, J.Henry Weber, Meteorologist:

THE HOT HUMID SUMMER OF 1961:

The summer of 1961 was the warmest and most uncomfortable summer on record in New York City.The average temperature from June through September was 75.1 degrees, exceeding the previous record of 74.9 in 1944.There were 29 days with temperatures of 90 degrees or more, exceeded only in 1944 and 1953 when there were 37 and 32 such days,respectively.Nearly all the hot days in 1961 were humid , whereas in 1944 and 1953 most of the hot days had normal or below normal humidities

September was the warmest September on record.The average temperature of 73.6 degrees exceeded the previous record of 73.4n established in 1881, and there were 8 days with temperatures of 90 degrees or more-also a September record.

The highest temperature last summer (1961) was 97 degrees on July 22nd; the greatest number of consecutive days with temperature of 90 degrees or more was six, from July 21-26.In contrast, THE HIGHEST TEMPERATURE DURING THE SUMMER OF 1960 WAS 91 DEGREES at Central Park and 89 degrees at the Battery.There were ONLY 4 DAYS with temperatures of 90 degrees or more at Central park and none at The Battery."

I guess the climate change crowd would have jumped on that 1961 data to claim the world would end in 1974,LOL.Too bad they were not even born yet.

Also, the analog is curious here.That much cooler summer of 1960 was followed by a very cold and snowy winter of 1960-1961 of 54.7 inaccurately measured inches at Central Park while the much warmer summer of 1961 produced a winter of only 18.1 inches of snow in 1961-1962.
docstox12
docstox12
Wx Statistician Guru
Wx Statistician Guru

Back to top Go down

Post by weatherwatchermom on Mon Sep 16, 2019 4:18 pm

BORING BORING BORING..THE WEATHER IS SO BORING!!
weatherwatchermom
weatherwatchermom
Pro Enthusiast
Pro Enthusiast

Back to top Go down

Post by frank 638 on Mon Sep 16, 2019 5:40 pm

It is so boring first day of fall is coming up this weekend and it’s so post to be in the mid upper 80 and last into next week I am done With this heat I just want a cool crisp air

frank 638
Pro Enthusiast
Pro Enthusiast

Back to top Go down

Post by amugs on Thu Sep 19, 2019 10:18 pm

1st weekend in October in the GFS LR shows cold temps for the area and up in Maths new a abode dare I say frozen precip?? Yup.
Its coming!!

WINTER 2014-15 : 55.12" +.02 for 6 coatings (avg. 35")
WINTER 2015-16 Total - 29.8" (Avg 35")
WINTER 2016-17 : 39.5" so far
amugs
amugs

Back to top Go down

Post by docstox12 on Fri Sep 20, 2019 5:31 am

amugs wrote:1st weekend in October in the GFS LR shows cold temps for the area and up in Maths new a abode dare I say frozen precip?? Yup.
Its coming!!

First flurries can be seen around here in the LHV in mid October.We are getting there.Fall is right here.
docstox12
docstox12
Wx Statistician Guru
Wx Statistician Guru

Back to top Go down

Post by docstox12 on Sat Sep 21, 2019 12:45 pm

Hey Mugs and Janet, thought you two would get a kick out of this.My Aunt, Uncle and Cousins lived in Hillsdale from 1955 to 1966 so I related to this.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mR9eQH_n1kQ
docstox12
docstox12
Wx Statistician Guru
Wx Statistician Guru

Back to top Go down

Post by Grselig on Sat Sep 21, 2019 1:40 pm

docstox12 wrote:
amugs wrote:1st weekend in October in the GFS LR shows cold temps for the area and up in Maths new a abode dare I say frozen precip?? Yup.
Its coming!!

First flurries can be seen around here in the LHV in mid October.We are getting there.Fall is right here.

Ahh Doc, you sorely misguided Physician of Day Trading and ruler of all that is financial, it's 85°F right now. The only thing frozen is the frost build up in my forever broken expensive GE Monogram freezer. I'll believe the GFS when its cold in October. Otherwise, it's as reliable as a Michael Milken bond.
Grselig
Grselig
Pro Enthusiast
Pro Enthusiast

Back to top Go down

Post by docstox12 on Sun Sep 22, 2019 4:27 am

Grselig wrote:
docstox12 wrote:
Its coming!!

Ahh Doc, you sorely misguided Physician of Day Trading and ruler of all that is financial, it's 85°F right now.  The only thing frozen is the frost build up in my forever broken expensive GE Monogram freezer.  I'll believe the GFS when its cold in October.  Otherwise, it's as reliable as a Michael Milken bond.

LOL Grselig! Yes, this warm spell sure deflates that winter is on it's way feeling.

I had an old fridge once years ago that was self defrosting long before the days of self defrosting fridges.The ice on the freezer unit would build up so much, the door would not close letting in warm air and defrosting it! Just had to disregard the huge puddle of water on the floor .No ice and you could close the door on the freezer unit again!
docstox12
docstox12
Wx Statistician Guru
Wx Statistician Guru

Back to top Go down

Post by dkodgis on Sun Sep 22, 2019 1:25 pm

Doc, we had a spring house. Believe it or not!
dkodgis
dkodgis
Pro Enthusiast
Pro Enthusiast

Back to top Go down

Post by docstox12 on Sun Sep 22, 2019 2:29 pm

dkodgis wrote:Doc, we had a spring house. Believe it or not!

Damian, had to look that up and it's GREAT.Very logical idea and all for free! Colonial days ingenuity....LOVE IT!!!
docstox12
docstox12
Wx Statistician Guru
Wx Statistician Guru

Back to top Go down

Post by HectorO on Sun Sep 22, 2019 2:37 pm

docstox12 wrote:
Grselig wrote:
docstox12 wrote:
Its coming!!

To be honest I don't ever remember September to be a fully cooler month. I've always compared it to April, a transitional month of rollercoaster temps. Sweaters one day shorts the next.
Ahh Doc, you sorely misguided Physician of Day Trading and ruler of all that is financial, it's 85°F right now.  The only thing frozen is the frost build up in my forever broken expensive GE Monogram freezer.  I'll believe the GFS when its cold in October.  Otherwise, it's as reliable as a Michael Milken bond.

LOL Grselig! Yes, this warm spell sure deflates that winter is on it's way feeling.

I had an old fridge once years ago that was self defrosting long before the days of self defrosting fridges.The ice on the freezer unit would build up so much, the door would not close letting in warm air and defrosting it! Just had to disregard the huge puddle of water on the floor .No ice and you could close the door on the freezer unit again!
HectorO
HectorO
Pro Enthusiast
Pro Enthusiast

Back to top Go down

Post by dkodgis on Sun Sep 22, 2019 7:19 pm

Doc, I still put my beer inside a basket and leave it in our stream. It is free refrigeration while I am outside doing work. I can have a cold one anytime. Today it was a bit warm but I see my Alder trees' leaves turning yellow like nobody's business. It seems like the quiet before the storm of leaves we all will be cleaning up.
dkodgis
dkodgis
Pro Enthusiast
Pro Enthusiast

Back to top Go down

Post by Grselig on Mon Sep 23, 2019 10:42 pm

docstox12 wrote:
Grselig wrote:
docstox12 wrote:
Its coming!!

Ha. And it was 90 today. Hopefully the trends reverse. My parents had an old fridge. Never broke. Probably bought in early 70’s.
Grselig
Grselig
Pro Enthusiast
Pro Enthusiast

Back to top Go down

Post by weatherwatchermom on Tue Sep 24, 2019 9:56 am

weatherwatchermom
weatherwatchermom
Pro Enthusiast
Pro Enthusiast

Back to top Go down

Post by docstox12 on Tue Sep 24, 2019 11:45 am

Ugh, me too.Nothing worse seeing full Fall foliage when it's 80 degrees.If it happens, I hope it's compensated by cold and snowy Jan through Mar.
docstox12
docstox12
Wx Statistician Guru
Wx Statistician Guru

Back to top Go down

Post by HectorO on Wed Sep 25, 2019 10:21 pm

docstox12 wrote:

Ugh, me too.Nothing worse seeing full Fall foliage when it's 80 degrees.If it happens, I hope it's compensated by cold and snowy Jan through Mar.

I feel like this is the prediction every year lol. Everyone's hyped up about fall and we wind up using AC most of October it seems.
HectorO
HectorO
Pro Enthusiast
Pro Enthusiast

Back to top Go down

Post by dkodgis on Thu Sep 26, 2019 8:55 am

I have been reading winter signs look "promising" and some folks hearken back to those cold winters of 2013-14 and the year after. I like to see a winter in force show up because that is why I pay my taxes-to live in a change of season area. Way to early to tell but is anyone seeing the same trends of a "cold" winter? Our luck it will be ample cold and meager snow.
dkodgis
dkodgis
Pro Enthusiast
Pro Enthusiast

Back to top Go down

Post by HectorO on Thu Sep 26, 2019 10:32 am

dkodgis wrote:I have been reading winter signs look "promising" and some folks hearken back to those cold winters of 2013-14 and the year after. I like to see a winter in force show up because that is why I pay my taxes-to live in a change of season area.  Way to early to tell but is anyone seeing the same trends of a "cold" winter? Our luck it will be ample cold and meager snow.

People have been saying so. There was a post here calling for a colder winter than usual and going into a phase where the sun was going to be facing us with a darker side or something like that. And That's mighty high taxes to pay just for the Four Seasons LOL. If the four seasons are what's keeping you here, then there are a lot of places in the country that have way more of a 4 season change than New Jersey and way cheaper.
HectorO
HectorO
Pro Enthusiast
Pro Enthusiast

Back to top Go down

Post by dkodgis on Thu Sep 26, 2019 11:14 am

Hector I am up in mid-central NY Hudson Valley and yes, the taxes are high.

For anyone who has a dental floss farm in Montana, it will be snowed under with a "historic" storm.

https://www.foxnews.com/us/historic-snow-storm-rockies-blizzard-montana-snow-mountains-weather
dkodgis
dkodgis
Pro Enthusiast
Pro Enthusiast

Back to top Go down

Post by billg315 on Thu Sep 26, 2019 11:30 am

HectorO wrote:
dkodgis wrote:I have been reading winter signs look "promising" and some folks hearken back to those cold winters of 2013-14 and the year after. I like to see a winter in force show up because that is why I pay my taxes-to live in a change of season area.  Way to early to tell but is anyone seeing the same trends of a "cold" winter? Our luck it will be ample cold and meager snow.

People have been saying so. There was a post here calling for a colder winter than usual and going into a phase where the sun was going to be facing us with a darker side or something like that. And That's mighty high taxes to pay just for the Four Seasons LOL. If the four seasons are what's keeping you here, then there are a lot of places in the country that have way more of a 4 season change than New Jersey and way cheaper.

LOL @: "That's mighty high taxes to pay just for the Four Seasons LOL. If the four seasons are what's keeping you here, then there are a lot of places in the country that have way more of a 4 season change than New Jersey and way cheaper" Very true.
billg315
billg315

Back to top Go down

Post by dkodgis on Mon Sep 30, 2019 8:44 am

The kids are still in school so no moves yet. Family is here too so getting my wife to move would be impossible for now. We went from $5,000 20 years ago to $14,000. It seems the autumn leaves went that way, too as in from many to gazillions falling and being raked up. Mother Nature seems intent on burying the house in leaves.

Should be a Weather Channel special: leaves are not as colorful and are more voluminous. A leafnado. LeafMaggedon.
dkodgis
dkodgis
Pro Enthusiast
Pro Enthusiast

Back to top Go down

Post by dkodgis on Mon Sep 30, 2019 8:49 am

One more thing. Around here, I have really noticed dead and dying trees as in a definite increase in tree mortality. Is anyone else seeing this in your areas? Here, oaks are just keeling over, and to my surprise elms and ash. Ash and elm, I understand and I was surprised to see I even had some out in the woods nearby. Most have been gone for a long time. But even apple trees are dying and remarkably so as in spring they look good and by now, they are 90% dead. If this continues, it will be quite obvious next year. Is it all the rain or pests? I don't know if it is weather related but definitely something bad going on.
dkodgis
dkodgis
Pro Enthusiast
Pro Enthusiast

Back to top Go down

Post by Vinnydula on Mon Sep 30, 2019 8:29 pm

Trees are going to brown in Westchester for weeks now. I took a ride up to highland ny this weekend for apple picking and it's very sad it's all brown leaves up there
Vinnydula
Vinnydula
Pro Enthusiast
Pro Enthusiast

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 8 of 10 Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10  Next

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum