Banter Thread 5.0

Page 2 of 10 Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10  Next

Go down

Banter Thread 5.0 - Page 2 Empty Re: Banter Thread 5.0

Post by Quietace on Thu Apr 18, 2019 5:59 pm

The KMOB (Mobile AL) radar has been down since 4:05 CDT. Similarly to KTLH, the radar goes down far too often, and it usually occurs during significant weather events. Certainty a lack of resiliency. In this case, there are numerous TOR's and other severe wx that is occurring with limited visibility now. Phased array can't come soon enough (->2026).

_________________
Ryan
B.S. Meteorology from Plymouth State University
Graduate Meteorology Student at Florida State University
Quietace
Quietace
Meteorologist - Mod
Meteorologist - Mod

Posts : 3602
Reputation : 29
Join date : 2013-01-07
Age : 22
Location : Tallahassee, FL

Back to top Go down

Banter Thread 5.0 - Page 2 Empty Re: Banter Thread 5.0

Post by docstox12 on Fri Apr 26, 2019 10:30 pm

Looking at the CONUS map I see as a final insult that 3 to 5 inches of snow will on some of the north central states,LOL
docstox12
docstox12
Wx Statistician Guru
Wx Statistician Guru

Posts : 6702
Reputation : 170
Join date : 2013-01-07
Age : 68
Location : Monroe NY

Back to top Go down

Banter Thread 5.0 - Page 2 Empty Re: Banter Thread 5.0

Post by Grselig on Sat Apr 27, 2019 1:37 pm

docstox12 wrote:Looking at the CONUS map I see as a final insult that 3 to 5 inches of snow will on some of the north central states,LOL

Chicago
Winter Storm Warning. 3 to 8 inches of snow.
Our area. Breezy chilly and partly cloudy, with a chance of Daniel Jones (Giants #6 draft pick. WHY at #6). Pathetic.
Grselig
Grselig
Pro Enthusiast
Pro Enthusiast

Posts : 1108
Reputation : 124
Join date : 2013-03-04
Age : 49
Location : Wayne NJ

Back to top Go down

Banter Thread 5.0 - Page 2 Empty Re: Banter Thread 5.0

Post by billg315 on Wed May 01, 2019 4:05 pm

NWS Mount Holly's local radar at Fort Dix (KDIX) has been down since 9 p.m. last night. It has, for whatever reason, been very unreliable the last couple weeks. I know it got hit by lightning and damaged last September, but it worked pretty consistently this winter so not sure what the deal is now.

It's a bit frustrating because it is the most centrally located radar for NJ and to get a view of what's coming and going while it's down you have to piece together the radars from Delaware, Binghamton and Long Island (KDOX, KBGM, and KOKX) and maybe State College (KCCX). In the meantime I guess you can just rely on the regional radar aggregates.
billg315
billg315
Advanced Forecaster - Mod
Advanced Forecaster - Mod

Posts : 2790
Reputation : 145
Join date : 2015-01-24
Age : 45
Location : Somerville, NJ

Back to top Go down

Banter Thread 5.0 - Page 2 Empty Re: Banter Thread 5.0

Post by dkodgis on Wed May 01, 2019 10:26 pm

We in bad shape over here-what with no May observations thread. As for banter, the moss in my grass tells me local rainfall has increased. I remember hot days last year this time. Why is it so cold? I am sleeping with three blankers on.
dkodgis
dkodgis
Pro Enthusiast
Pro Enthusiast

Posts : 968
Reputation : 63
Join date : 2013-12-29

Back to top Go down

Banter Thread 5.0 - Page 2 Empty Re: Banter Thread 5.0

Post by jmanley32 on Thu May 02, 2019 9:14 pm

dkodgis wrote:We in bad shape over here-what with no May observations thread.  As for banter, the moss in my grass tells me local rainfall has increased.  I remember hot days last year this time.  Why is it so cold?  I am sleeping with three blankers on.
Are blankers cold? Not familiar with what those are LOL, yeah it was chilly yesterday but today was nice and warm, nearing hot.
jmanley32
jmanley32
Senior Enthusiast
Senior Enthusiast

Posts : 15934
Reputation : 80
Join date : 2013-12-12
Age : 38
Location : Yonkers, NY

Back to top Go down

Banter Thread 5.0 - Page 2 Empty Re: Banter Thread 5.0

Post by GreyBeard on Sat May 04, 2019 3:54 pm

Today is Star Wars Day!

May the 4th. be with you.If you say that out loud it sounds like you have a lisp Smile

It is also Kentucky Derby Day. Place your bets.

Tomorrow, cinco de mayo,so plenty of excuses to drink if you need one. tongue

GreyBeard
Pro Enthusiast
Pro Enthusiast

Posts : 426
Reputation : 19
Join date : 2014-02-12
Location : Eastern Nassau County

Back to top Go down

Banter Thread 5.0 - Page 2 Empty Re: Banter Thread 5.0

Post by docstox12 on Sun May 05, 2019 12:28 am

GreyBeard wrote:Today is Star Wars Day!

May the 4th. be with you.If you say that out loud it sounds like you have a lisp Smile

It is also Kentucky Derby Day. Place your bets.

Tomorrow, cinco de mayo,so plenty of excuses to drink if you need one. tongue

LOl Greybeard! Saw Star Wars second day it was out in 1977.Wish I still had that button the theatre gave out "May the force be with you".

Had a bad feeling about the Derby when my favorite pick Omaha Beach was scratched.My Buddies and I do imaginary bets and my pick this year Game Winner came in 5th.They disqualified the winner for a bump.That was out of left field but those are the rules.

LOL on cinco de booze-o.
docstox12
docstox12
Wx Statistician Guru
Wx Statistician Guru

Posts : 6702
Reputation : 170
Join date : 2013-01-07
Age : 68
Location : Monroe NY

Back to top Go down

Banter Thread 5.0 - Page 2 Empty Re: Banter Thread 5.0

Post by GreyBeard on Sun May 05, 2019 5:18 pm

Doc, if we kept half of the toys,comics, baseball cards etc. that we had as kids, we'd be rich men today lol.

Derby ended with a bad call imo. Country House wasn't interfered with as far as I could see. Maximum Security was definitely the best horse in the race, pretty much had it wire to wire.

GreyBeard
Pro Enthusiast
Pro Enthusiast

Posts : 426
Reputation : 19
Join date : 2014-02-12
Location : Eastern Nassau County

Back to top Go down

Banter Thread 5.0 - Page 2 Empty Re: Banter Thread 5.0

Post by docstox12 on Sun May 05, 2019 6:31 pm

GreyBeard wrote:Doc, if we kept half of the toys,comics, baseball cards etc. that we had as kids, we'd be rich men today lol.

Derby ended with a bad call imo. Country House wasn't interfered with as far as I could see. Maximum Security was definitely the best horse in the race, pretty much had it wire to wire.

Greybeard, I could tell you stories of lost treasures you mention but I would make myself sick,LOL.

Agree 100% on Maximum Security.When a horse runs wire to wire it's a winner.A rare and beautiful sight in a horse race.Just read 9 million was bet on the horse.Holy crow, bookies buying new cars for their wives,LOL.
docstox12
docstox12
Wx Statistician Guru
Wx Statistician Guru

Posts : 6702
Reputation : 170
Join date : 2013-01-07
Age : 68
Location : Monroe NY

Back to top Go down

Banter Thread 5.0 - Page 2 Empty Re: Banter Thread 5.0

Post by billg315 on Mon May 06, 2019 4:19 pm

billg315 wrote:NWS Mount Holly's local radar at Fort Dix (KDIX) has been down since 9 p.m. last night. It has, for whatever reason, been very unreliable the last couple weeks. I know it got hit by lightning and damaged last September, but it worked pretty consistently this winter so not sure what the deal is now.

It's a bit frustrating because it is the most centrally located radar for NJ and to get a view of what's coming and going while it's down you have to piece together the radars from Delaware, Binghamton and Long Island (KDOX, KBGM, and KOKX) and maybe State College (KCCX). In the meantime I guess you can just rely on the regional radar aggregates.

Follow-up to this. Just posted this afternoon on the NWS Mt. Holly Twitter feed:

KDIX UPDATE: The radar remains down due to a significant equipment failure. Return to service is unknown at this time. We hope to have another update by the end of the week.

billg315
billg315
Advanced Forecaster - Mod
Advanced Forecaster - Mod

Posts : 2790
Reputation : 145
Join date : 2015-01-24
Age : 45
Location : Somerville, NJ

Back to top Go down

Banter Thread 5.0 - Page 2 Empty Re: Banter Thread 5.0

Post by dkodgis on Wed May 08, 2019 7:40 am

Has anyone noticed it is the Attack of the Moss going on? My lawn is starting to look like a moss farm with all this rain.
dkodgis
dkodgis
Pro Enthusiast
Pro Enthusiast

Posts : 968
Reputation : 63
Join date : 2013-12-29

Back to top Go down

Banter Thread 5.0 - Page 2 Empty Re: Banter Thread 5.0

Post by Dunnzoo on Thu May 09, 2019 9:37 am

dkodgis wrote:Has anyone noticed it is the Attack of the Moss going on? My lawn is starting to look like a moss farm with all this rain.

Next will be the white fungus in the grass.. ugh

_________________
Janet

Snowfall winter of 2018-2019      25.10"

Snowfall winter of 2017-2018       51.9"
Snowfall winter of 2016-2017      45.6"
Snowfall winter of 2015-2016     29.5"
Snowfall winter of 2014-2015     50.55"
Snowfall winter of 2013-2014  66.5"
Dunnzoo
Dunnzoo
Senior Enthusiast - Mod
Senior Enthusiast - Mod

Posts : 3978
Reputation : 42
Join date : 2013-01-11
Age : 57
Location : Westwood, NJ

Back to top Go down

Banter Thread 5.0 - Page 2 Empty Re: Banter Thread 5.0

Post by dkodgis on Thu May 09, 2019 3:32 pm

Is it me? I can't access the weather.gov site. I can get to it but the moment I put in a zip code or click on a map location, it spins to a bad gateway message.
dkodgis
dkodgis
Pro Enthusiast
Pro Enthusiast

Posts : 968
Reputation : 63
Join date : 2013-12-29

Back to top Go down

Banter Thread 5.0 - Page 2 Empty Re: Banter Thread 5.0

Post by dkodgis on Thu May 09, 2019 5:18 pm

Our taxes at work. Weather.gov is back up
dkodgis
dkodgis
Pro Enthusiast
Pro Enthusiast

Posts : 968
Reputation : 63
Join date : 2013-12-29

Back to top Go down

Banter Thread 5.0 - Page 2 Empty Re: Banter Thread 5.0

Post by dkodgis on Sun May 12, 2019 9:32 am

I read that April usually is about 38% of the month's days as rainy but it was something like 56.5%. May is nearing the half-way mark of the month and it just seems rainier this month, too. I missed summer forecasts; I guess it will be rainy for the summer? Hotter?
dkodgis
dkodgis
Pro Enthusiast
Pro Enthusiast

Posts : 968
Reputation : 63
Join date : 2013-12-29

Back to top Go down

Banter Thread 5.0 - Page 2 Empty Re: Banter Thread 5.0

Post by billg315 on Sun May 12, 2019 9:46 am

I know very little about seasonal long range forecasting so take this with a grain of salt, but I thought I heard it will not be particularly hot around here this summer.
billg315
billg315
Advanced Forecaster - Mod
Advanced Forecaster - Mod

Posts : 2790
Reputation : 145
Join date : 2015-01-24
Age : 45
Location : Somerville, NJ

Back to top Go down

Banter Thread 5.0 - Page 2 Empty Re: Banter Thread 5.0

Post by docstox12 on Sun May 12, 2019 9:50 am

HAPPY MOTHERS DAY to all the wonderful Mom's out there who we sons love dearly and deeply! Have a wonderful day Moms!!!!!!
docstox12
docstox12
Wx Statistician Guru
Wx Statistician Guru

Posts : 6702
Reputation : 170
Join date : 2013-01-07
Age : 68
Location : Monroe NY

Back to top Go down

Banter Thread 5.0 - Page 2 Empty Re: Banter Thread 5.0

Post by essexcountypete on Wed May 15, 2019 12:13 pm

I need a little help from the collective mind of NJS. My roof replacement keeps getting postponed because of rain, and if they can't start this week my Central Air install gets postponed until late summer (GRRRRRRR)!

The stopper for the roof right now is Friday's rain chance, and that's looking like PM t-storms. WU has me at 40-50% of rain, NWS has me at 60%.

Can anyone tell me their thoughts about what that threat looks like as far as severity and event duration?
essexcountypete
essexcountypete
Pro Enthusiast
Pro Enthusiast

Posts : 439
Reputation : 11
Join date : 2013-12-09
Location : Bloomfield, NJ

Back to top Go down

Banter Thread 5.0 - Page 2 Empty Re: Banter Thread 5.0

Post by dkodgis on Wed May 15, 2019 12:35 pm

The roofers should be making this call. However, 50-60% would make me worry
dkodgis
dkodgis
Pro Enthusiast
Pro Enthusiast

Posts : 968
Reputation : 63
Join date : 2013-12-29

Back to top Go down

Banter Thread 5.0 - Page 2 Empty Re: Banter Thread 5.0

Post by essexcountypete on Wed May 15, 2019 12:47 pm

dkodgis wrote:The roofers should be making this call. However, 50-60% would make me worry

Yes, it makes me worry too. He'll certainly make the call but we've been working closely on watching the weather since he came to find I was a weather geek. He's a weather watcher and he's got AccuWeather pro, so I trust him to make a good decision, I'm just trying to get a better idea of what Friday's weather will look like from the good minds here.
essexcountypete
essexcountypete
Pro Enthusiast
Pro Enthusiast

Posts : 439
Reputation : 11
Join date : 2013-12-09
Location : Bloomfield, NJ

Back to top Go down

Banter Thread 5.0 - Page 2 Empty Re: Banter Thread 5.0

Post by dkodgis on Wed May 15, 2019 1:32 pm

Skins, Doc, Dumazoo, Frank, Rob, Mugs, et al. Where aere you guys?
dkodgis
dkodgis
Pro Enthusiast
Pro Enthusiast

Posts : 968
Reputation : 63
Join date : 2013-12-29

Back to top Go down

Banter Thread 5.0 - Page 2 Empty Re: Banter Thread 5.0

Post by docstox12 on Wed May 15, 2019 1:53 pm

dkodgis wrote:Skins, Doc, Dumazoo, Frank, Rob, Mugs, et al. Where aere you guys?

I'm here now and then Damian but shifting into spring summer mode as far as posting.
docstox12
docstox12
Wx Statistician Guru
Wx Statistician Guru

Posts : 6702
Reputation : 170
Join date : 2013-01-07
Age : 68
Location : Monroe NY

Back to top Go down

Banter Thread 5.0 - Page 2 Empty Re: Banter Thread 5.0

Post by docstox12 on Wed May 15, 2019 1:57 pm

essexcountypete wrote:
dkodgis wrote:The roofers should be making this call. However, 50-60% would make me worry

Yes, it makes me worry too. He'll certainly make the call but we've been working closely on watching the weather since he came to find I was a weather geek. He's a weather watcher and he's got AccuWeather pro, so I trust him to make a good decision, I'm just trying to get a better idea of what Friday's weather will look like from the good minds here.

NWS saying 60% chance for rain friday.Saturday looks really good and only 40% chance on Monday.Can your guy start on Saturday?

Having trouble wrapping my mind about the central air people not being able to start until late summer?Huh?????
docstox12
docstox12
Wx Statistician Guru
Wx Statistician Guru

Posts : 6702
Reputation : 170
Join date : 2013-01-07
Age : 68
Location : Monroe NY

Back to top Go down

Banter Thread 5.0 - Page 2 Empty Re: Banter Thread 5.0

Post by essexcountypete on Thu May 16, 2019 7:15 am

docstox12 wrote:
essexcountypete wrote:
dkodgis wrote:The roofers should be making this call. However, 50-60% would make me worry

Yes, it makes me worry too. He'll certainly make the call but we've been working closely on watching the weather since he came to find I was a weather geek. He's a weather watcher and he's got AccuWeather pro, so I trust him to make a good decision, I'm just trying to get a better idea of what Friday's weather will look like from the good minds here.

NWS saying 60% chance for rain friday.Saturday looks really good and only 40% chance on Monday.Can your guy start on Saturday?

Having trouble wrapping my mind about the central air people not being able to start until late summer?Huh?????

LOL! Thanks Doc! No detail is missed by you. It's complicated. They actually did our boiler and first floor mini splits in the fall, but we had to delay them working in the attic while we waited for the roof to be done, which keeps getting pushed along because of all the rain. Now we've pushed it so far we're bumping into the high season and they're booked up with other jobs.

But it does look like the rain chances Friday and Monday/Tuesday have dropped, so we'll see how it goes.

Thanks all!



essexcountypete
essexcountypete
Pro Enthusiast
Pro Enthusiast

Posts : 439
Reputation : 11
Join date : 2013-12-09
Location : Bloomfield, NJ

Back to top Go down

Page 2 of 10 Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10  Next

Back to top


 
Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum