Banter Thread 5.0

Page 29 of 33 Previous  1 ... 16 ... 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33  Next

Go down

Banter Thread 5.0 - Page 29 Empty Re: Banter Thread 5.0

Post by weatherwatchermom on Fri Feb 07, 2020 7:14 pm

@docstox12 wrote:
@TheAresian wrote:Taken from my front porch

Banter Thread 5.0 - Page 29 Snow10


NICE Aresian! Should stay around for a while too with the cold coming! Enjoy the snowpack while I chant "My Kingdom for a snow shower"!
ENJOY!! I tried to capture the 3 flakes I saw floating around a bit ago..lol
weatherwatchermom
weatherwatchermom
Pro Enthusiast
Pro Enthusiast

Posts : 2581
Reputation : 65
Join date : 2014-11-25
Age : 56
Location : Hazlet Township

Back to top Go down

Banter Thread 5.0 - Page 29 Empty Re: Banter Thread 5.0

Post by moleson on Fri Feb 07, 2020 8:17 pm

@mikeypizano wrote:
@nutleyblizzard wrote:
@Elmer J Fudd, Billionaire wrote:Well what have we here, another warm wainy day.  Not a good day for hunting wabbits.   The wind.  Let's go find some ducks.  hehehe
Beat it troll.

He is right though, I have 42 and wain here near AVP... Can we just please bring on spring?

"Beat it, troll"?!?! Really? In a banter thread you ask someone not to banter?
moleson
moleson

Posts : 21
Reputation : 0
Join date : 2013-01-07

Back to top Go down

Banter Thread 5.0 - Page 29 Empty Re: Banter Thread 5.0

Post by sroc4 on Fri Feb 07, 2020 8:40 pm

@moleson wrote:
@mikeypizano wrote:
@nutleyblizzard wrote:
@Elmer J Fudd, Billionaire wrote:Well what have we here, another warm wainy day.  Not a good day for hunting wabbits.   The wind.  Let's go find some ducks.  hehehe
Beat it troll.

He is right though, I have 42 and wain here near AVP... Can we just please bring on spring?

"Beat it, troll"?!?!   Really?  In a banter thread you ask someone not to banter?  

Easy Tiger. It’s been dealt with

_________________
"Go hug a human, not a weather model"
“Optimism is great, but cautious optimism is more realistic”
"In weather and in life, theres no winning and losing; there's only winning and learning."
WINTER 2012/2013 SNOW TOTALS 43.65"
WINTER 2013/2014 SNOW TOTALS 64.85"
WINTER 2014/2015 SNOW TOTALS 71.20" (First snow Dec 8th)

WINTER 2015/2016 SNOW TOTALS  35.00" [size=10](First snow Jan 17th)
WINTER 2016/2017 SNOW TOTALS 42.25" (First snow Dec 11th)
WINTER 2017/2018 SNOW TOTALS 62.85" (First snow Dec 9th)
WINTER 2018/2019 SNOW TOTALS 14.25" (First snow Nov 15th)[/size]
WINTER 2019/2020 SNOW TOTALS 6.35" (First snow Nov 12th)
sroc4
sroc4
Admin
Admin

Posts : 6445
Reputation : 275
Join date : 2013-01-07
Location : Wading River, LI

Back to top Go down

Banter Thread 5.0 - Page 29 Empty Re: Banter Thread 5.0

Post by dkodgis on Fri Feb 07, 2020 9:29 pm

Aresian: the stuff dreams are made of. Enjoy!
dkodgis
dkodgis
Pro Enthusiast
Pro Enthusiast

Posts : 1089
Reputation : 85
Join date : 2013-12-29

Back to top Go down

Banter Thread 5.0 - Page 29 Empty Re: Banter Thread 5.0

Post by sroc4 on Sun Feb 09, 2020 2:49 pm

Nemo 29” IMBY. That was an amazing storm. My wife’s SUV is behind my daughter. (Deeeep Siigghhh)

Banter Thread 5.0 - Page 29 8e548710

_________________
"Go hug a human, not a weather model"
“Optimism is great, but cautious optimism is more realistic”
"In weather and in life, theres no winning and losing; there's only winning and learning."
WINTER 2012/2013 SNOW TOTALS 43.65"
WINTER 2013/2014 SNOW TOTALS 64.85"
WINTER 2014/2015 SNOW TOTALS 71.20" (First snow Dec 8th)

WINTER 2015/2016 SNOW TOTALS  35.00" [size=10](First snow Jan 17th)
WINTER 2016/2017 SNOW TOTALS 42.25" (First snow Dec 11th)
WINTER 2017/2018 SNOW TOTALS 62.85" (First snow Dec 9th)
WINTER 2018/2019 SNOW TOTALS 14.25" (First snow Nov 15th)[/size]
WINTER 2019/2020 SNOW TOTALS 6.35" (First snow Nov 12th)
sroc4
sroc4
Admin
Admin

Posts : 6445
Reputation : 275
Join date : 2013-01-07
Location : Wading River, LI

Back to top Go down

Banter Thread 5.0 - Page 29 Empty Re: Banter Thread 5.0

Post by mikeypizano on Sun Feb 09, 2020 2:50 pm

I will never understand the obsession with past storms...
mikeypizano
mikeypizano
Pro Enthusiast
Pro Enthusiast

Posts : 1006
Reputation : 63
Join date : 2017-01-06
Location : Wilkes-Barre/Scranton, PA

Back to top Go down

Banter Thread 5.0 - Page 29 Empty Re: Banter Thread 5.0

Post by RJB8525 on Sun Feb 09, 2020 2:55 pm

@mikeypizano wrote:I will never understand the obsession with past storms...

Like 1888 ?
RJB8525
RJB8525
Pro Enthusiast
Pro Enthusiast

Posts : 1955
Reputation : 28
Join date : 2013-02-06
Age : 34
Location : Hackettstown, NJ

Back to top Go down

Banter Thread 5.0 - Page 29 Empty Re: Banter Thread 5.0

Post by mikeypizano on Sun Feb 09, 2020 2:56 pm

@RJB8525 wrote:
@mikeypizano wrote:I will never understand the obsession with past storms...

Like 1888 ?

You mean the storm that happened 132 years ago and will never happen again?
mikeypizano
mikeypizano
Pro Enthusiast
Pro Enthusiast

Posts : 1006
Reputation : 63
Join date : 2017-01-06
Location : Wilkes-Barre/Scranton, PA

Back to top Go down

Banter Thread 5.0 - Page 29 Empty Re: Banter Thread 5.0

Post by billg315 on Sun Feb 09, 2020 5:56 pm

I’d say my favorite/best storm would be the January 2016 blizzard. It had all the requisite ingredients: 28” of snow (biggest total ever for my locale), powerful winds creating actual “whiteouts” and it was almost entirely during daylight hours so easy to follow/observe. Second place would probably be the January 1996 storm with Boxing Day/Feb 1983 tied for third (Feb 1983 featured lots of thundersnow and hit the big cities from Baltimore to Philly to NYC before nightfall.
Ironically the “Storm of the Century” in 1993 was a disappointment as I had mixing issues which kept the totals to a foot with sleet on top when I was expecting two feet.
Love reminiscing about great storms of yesteryear. Hopefully we have a surprise March one in us this year.
billg315
billg315
Advanced Forecaster - Mod
Advanced Forecaster - Mod

Posts : 2916
Reputation : 154
Join date : 2015-01-24
Age : 45
Location : Somerville, NJ

Back to top Go down

Banter Thread 5.0 - Page 29 Empty Re: Banter Thread 5.0

Post by sroc4 on Sun Feb 09, 2020 6:24 pm

@mikeypizano wrote:I will never understand the obsession with past storms...

Obsession? lol!

Let’s talk obsession MikeyP

Who on this board has posted about 50 times this season about spring and cutting lawns and what not. Now that’s an obsession. The image I posted popped up on my news feed this am on FB. It was almost 3 feet of snow! Nothing like the smell of fresh cut grass but awesome none the less.

_________________
"Go hug a human, not a weather model"
“Optimism is great, but cautious optimism is more realistic”
"In weather and in life, theres no winning and losing; there's only winning and learning."
WINTER 2012/2013 SNOW TOTALS 43.65"
WINTER 2013/2014 SNOW TOTALS 64.85"
WINTER 2014/2015 SNOW TOTALS 71.20" (First snow Dec 8th)

WINTER 2015/2016 SNOW TOTALS  35.00" [size=10](First snow Jan 17th)
WINTER 2016/2017 SNOW TOTALS 42.25" (First snow Dec 11th)
WINTER 2017/2018 SNOW TOTALS 62.85" (First snow Dec 9th)
WINTER 2018/2019 SNOW TOTALS 14.25" (First snow Nov 15th)[/size]
WINTER 2019/2020 SNOW TOTALS 6.35" (First snow Nov 12th)
sroc4
sroc4
Admin
Admin

Posts : 6445
Reputation : 275
Join date : 2013-01-07
Location : Wading River, LI

Back to top Go down

Banter Thread 5.0 - Page 29 Empty Re: Banter Thread 5.0

Post by mikeypizano on Sun Feb 09, 2020 6:26 pm

@sroc4 wrote:
@mikeypizano wrote:I will never understand the obsession with past storms...

Obsession?  lol!

Let’s talk obsession MikeyP

Who on this board has posted about 50 times this season about spring and cutting lawns and what not. Now that’s an obsession. The image I posted popped up on my news feed this am on FB.  It was almost 3 feet of snow! Nothing like the smell of fresh cut grass but awesome none the less.

You need to let it go, spring is coming! Plus, I need money... Laughing
mikeypizano
mikeypizano
Pro Enthusiast
Pro Enthusiast

Posts : 1006
Reputation : 63
Join date : 2017-01-06
Location : Wilkes-Barre/Scranton, PA

Back to top Go down

Banter Thread 5.0 - Page 29 Empty Re: Banter Thread 5.0

Post by sroc4 on Sun Feb 09, 2020 6:32 pm

@mikeypizano wrote:
@sroc4 wrote:
@mikeypizano wrote:I will never understand the obsession with past storms...

Obsession?  lol!

Let’s talk obsession MikeyP

Who on this board has posted about 50 times this season about spring and cutting lawns and what not. Now that’s an obsession. The image I posted popped up on my news feed this am on FB.  It was almost 3 feet of snow! Nothing like the smell of fresh cut grass but awesome none the less.

You need to let it go, spring is coming! Plus, I need money... Laughing

Spring may be coming but winter is here regardless of how spring like it may have been.  No grass growing for awhile. You have to suffer for another two months kiddo.  Perhaps you should let it go. And perhaps find a way to make some money in the winter instead of obsessing about a season 2months away.


Last edited by sroc4 on Sun Feb 09, 2020 6:33 pm; edited 1 time in total

_________________
"Go hug a human, not a weather model"
“Optimism is great, but cautious optimism is more realistic”
"In weather and in life, theres no winning and losing; there's only winning and learning."
WINTER 2012/2013 SNOW TOTALS 43.65"
WINTER 2013/2014 SNOW TOTALS 64.85"
WINTER 2014/2015 SNOW TOTALS 71.20" (First snow Dec 8th)

WINTER 2015/2016 SNOW TOTALS  35.00" [size=10](First snow Jan 17th)
WINTER 2016/2017 SNOW TOTALS 42.25" (First snow Dec 11th)
WINTER 2017/2018 SNOW TOTALS 62.85" (First snow Dec 9th)
WINTER 2018/2019 SNOW TOTALS 14.25" (First snow Nov 15th)[/size]
WINTER 2019/2020 SNOW TOTALS 6.35" (First snow Nov 12th)
sroc4
sroc4
Admin
Admin

Posts : 6445
Reputation : 275
Join date : 2013-01-07
Location : Wading River, LI

Back to top Go down

Banter Thread 5.0 - Page 29 Empty Re: Banter Thread 5.0

Post by mikeypizano on Sun Feb 09, 2020 6:39 pm

@sroc4 wrote:
@mikeypizano wrote:
@sroc4 wrote:
@mikeypizano wrote:I will never understand the obsession with past storms...

Obsession?  lol!

Let’s talk obsession MikeyP

Who on this board has posted about 50 times this season about spring and cutting lawns and what not. Now that’s an obsession. The image I posted popped up on my news feed this am on FB.  It was almost 3 feet of snow! Nothing like the smell of fresh cut grass but awesome none the less.

You need to let it go, spring is coming! Plus, I need money... Laughing

Spring may be coming but winter is here regardless of how spring like it may have been.  No grass growing for awhile. You have to suffer for another two months kiddo.  Perhaps you should let it go. And perhaps find a way to make some money in the winter instead of obsessing about a season 2months away.

That, my friend, is where you are wrong. I have a tree to cut down anytime before mowing season starts, I will have cleanups to do, mulch, etc. There is plenty to do. Very Happy
mikeypizano
mikeypizano
Pro Enthusiast
Pro Enthusiast

Posts : 1006
Reputation : 63
Join date : 2017-01-06
Location : Wilkes-Barre/Scranton, PA

Back to top Go down

Banter Thread 5.0 - Page 29 Empty Re: Banter Thread 5.0

Post by heehaw453 on Sun Feb 09, 2020 7:14 pm

My fellow weather folks. Is it better to look at the median when trying to determine what one can expect on any given year in regards to snowfall or better to look at the mean? Does it depend on the sample size?

My thought is the median maybe a truer representation on what to expect than the mean for smaller sample sizes (say less than 30 years) and even possibly larger ones. The mean can be skewed up or down by outliers whereas the median is a sorted which kind of ignores the outliers. Now over time that noise in the mean can be absorbed by the other yearly totals, but what's the tipping point?

Interested to see what others think on this one.

heehaw453

Posts : 782
Reputation : 65
Join date : 2014-01-20
Location : Bedminster Township, PA

Back to top Go down

Banter Thread 5.0 - Page 29 Empty Re: Banter Thread 5.0

Post by mikeypizano on Sun Feb 09, 2020 7:20 pm

@heehaw453 wrote:My fellow weather folks.  Is it better to look at the median when trying to determine what one can expect on any given year in regards to snowfall or better to look at the mean?  Does it depend on the sample size?  

My thought is the median maybe a truer representation on what to expect than the mean for smaller sample sizes (say less than 30 years) and even possibly larger ones.  The mean can be skewed up or down by outliers whereas the median is a sorted which kind of ignores the outliers.  Now over time that noise in the mean can be absorbed by the other yearly totals, but what's the tipping point?

Interested to see what others think on this one.

In my opinion, I don't really like the idea of "average" much. For example, my average snowfall is I think 48 inches. Some years we have well below that, some above. You get forecasts saying WELL ABOVE average for example, one claimed 175% of average the one time. Same with temps, we have days 30+ above average. That skews the numbers in future.
mikeypizano
mikeypizano
Pro Enthusiast
Pro Enthusiast

Posts : 1006
Reputation : 63
Join date : 2017-01-06
Location : Wilkes-Barre/Scranton, PA

Back to top Go down

Banter Thread 5.0 - Page 29 Empty Re: Banter Thread 5.0

Post by Grselig on Sun Feb 09, 2020 7:21 pm

Grasping at straws, at least it might be really really cold on Friday.
Grselig
Grselig
Pro Enthusiast
Pro Enthusiast

Posts : 1191
Reputation : 129
Join date : 2013-03-04
Age : 49
Location : Wayne NJ

Back to top Go down

Banter Thread 5.0 - Page 29 Empty Re: Banter Thread 5.0

Post by dkodgis on Sun Feb 09, 2020 8:41 pm

There is the fall clean up, and the spring clean up. Always something
dkodgis
dkodgis
Pro Enthusiast
Pro Enthusiast

Posts : 1089
Reputation : 85
Join date : 2013-12-29

Back to top Go down

Banter Thread 5.0 - Page 29 Empty Re: Banter Thread 5.0

Post by CPcantmeasuresnow on Sun Feb 09, 2020 10:20 pm

@heehaw453 wrote:My fellow weather folks.  Is it better to look at the median when trying to determine what one can expect on any given year in regards to snowfall or better to look at the mean?  Does it depend on the sample size?  

My thought is the median maybe a truer representation on what to expect than the mean for smaller sample sizes (say less than 30 years) and even possibly larger ones.  The mean can be skewed up or down by outliers whereas the median is a sorted which kind of ignores the outliers.  Now over time that noise in the mean can be absorbed by the other yearly totals, but what's the tipping point?

Interested to see what others think on this one.

In NYC the 151 year mean (average) for snowfall per season is 28.8 inches, the median is 27.1 inches so the high snowfall seasons do skew the average a bit, but bot not significantly.
CPcantmeasuresnow
CPcantmeasuresnow
Wx Statistician Guru
Wx Statistician Guru

Posts : 6364
Reputation : 220
Join date : 2013-01-08
Age : 99
Location : Eastern Orange County, NY

Back to top Go down

Banter Thread 5.0 - Page 29 Empty Re: Banter Thread 5.0

Post by weatherwatchermom on Sun Feb 09, 2020 10:36 pm

weatherwatchermom
weatherwatchermom
Pro Enthusiast
Pro Enthusiast

Posts : 2581
Reputation : 65
Join date : 2014-11-25
Age : 56
Location : Hazlet Township

Back to top Go down

Banter Thread 5.0 - Page 29 Empty Re: Banter Thread 5.0

Post by weatherwatchermom on Sun Feb 09, 2020 10:38 pm

@sroc4 wrote:Nemo 29” IMBY. That was an amazing storm.  My wife’s SUV is behind my daughter. (Deeeep Siigghhh)

Banter Thread 5.0 - Page 29 8e548710
Great picture.
weatherwatchermom
weatherwatchermom
Pro Enthusiast
Pro Enthusiast

Posts : 2581
Reputation : 65
Join date : 2014-11-25
Age : 56
Location : Hazlet Township

Back to top Go down

Banter Thread 5.0 - Page 29 Empty Re: Banter Thread 5.0

Post by jmanley32 on Sun Feb 09, 2020 11:28 pm

@weatherwatchermom wrote:
@sroc4 wrote:Nemo 29” IMBY. That was an amazing storm.  My wife’s SUV is behind my daughter. (Deeeep Siigghhh)

Banter Thread 5.0 - Page 29 8e548710
Great picture.
Nice pic, you enjoy your rememberances of better snowy times.  Same happened for my but it was from my parents in CT, they got in the death band and got like 38 inches!! I think I only got 20.  I mean 20 is still good but my frield told me it was snowing so hard it was like 5 inches a hour at times. Jesus H!!!
jmanley32
jmanley32
Senior Enthusiast
Senior Enthusiast

Posts : 16348
Reputation : 89
Join date : 2013-12-13
Age : 38
Location : Yonkers, NY

Back to top Go down

Banter Thread 5.0 - Page 29 Empty Re: Banter Thread 5.0

Post by jmanley32 on Sun Feb 09, 2020 11:35 pm

Jesus 800+ mph!!! I think people might have felt some mach 1 coming on no? Thats insanely fast.
jmanley32
jmanley32
Senior Enthusiast
Senior Enthusiast

Posts : 16348
Reputation : 89
Join date : 2013-12-13
Age : 38
Location : Yonkers, NY

Back to top Go down

Banter Thread 5.0 - Page 29 Empty Re: Banter Thread 5.0

Post by jmanley32 on Sun Feb 09, 2020 11:37 pm

@mikeypizano wrote:
@sroc4 wrote:
@mikeypizano wrote:
@sroc4 wrote:
@mikeypizano wrote:I will never understand the obsession with past storms...

Obsession?  lol!

Let’s talk obsession MikeyP

Who on this board has posted about 50 times this season about spring and cutting lawns and what not. Now that’s an obsession. The image I posted popped up on my news feed this am on FB.  It was almost 3 feet of snow! Nothing like the smell of fresh cut grass but awesome none the less.

You need to let it go, spring is coming! Plus, I need money... Laughing

Spring may be coming but winter is here regardless of how spring like it may have been.  No grass growing for awhile. You have to suffer for another two months kiddo.  Perhaps you should let it go. And perhaps find a way to make some money in the winter instead of obsessing about a season 2months away.

That, my friend, is where you are wrong. I have a tree to cut down anytime before mowing season starts, I will have cleanups to do, mulch, etc. There is plenty to do. Very Happy
Sudo moderator here, both of you quit your whining lol, both of you obsess over different things and scott, I get what you are saying but it does kill him to not have snow in terms of money.  Imagine no work for you all winter (well he has some but not like if there was snow) I suggested contracted yearly rates to ya Mike and I still think you should consider, you would have made bank this year with no work : )
jmanley32
jmanley32
Senior Enthusiast
Senior Enthusiast

Posts : 16348
Reputation : 89
Join date : 2013-12-13
Age : 38
Location : Yonkers, NY

Back to top Go down

Banter Thread 5.0 - Page 29 Empty Re: Banter Thread 5.0

Post by jmanley32 on Sun Feb 09, 2020 11:38 pm

And never say never in terms of a 1888 never happening again, in fact some places have had snow exceeding that but just not where it counts like it did in 1888. Look at Sandy, that was a new storm all together, likely a once in a lifetime like 1888 but who knows.
jmanley32
jmanley32
Senior Enthusiast
Senior Enthusiast

Posts : 16348
Reputation : 89
Join date : 2013-12-13
Age : 38
Location : Yonkers, NY

Back to top Go down

Banter Thread 5.0 - Page 29 Empty Re: Banter Thread 5.0

Post by jmanley32 on Sun Feb 09, 2020 11:44 pm

I completed my second try for breaking up my kidney stone on Friday and supposedly it was much more effective this time. I really hope so because the next resort is the last resort and the LAST thing I ever want to go through. Very unpleasent and much longer recovery and discomfort. Luckily I have a high tolerance for pain but there is only so much I can take, these things bring you down more than you think. Anyone that has had one for a length of time will understand. It efffects your whole body, lethargic, nausea, weird eating habits including no appetite, and in and out severe pain.  But always a nagging pain in your back literally.  It downright sucks.  No I am not whining but people do not seem to understand how aweful it is. I know a woman who has done natural child birth and had a kidney stone in her ureter (tube from kidney to bladder) and said she would prefer child birth!!
jmanley32
jmanley32
Senior Enthusiast
Senior Enthusiast

Posts : 16348
Reputation : 89
Join date : 2013-12-13
Age : 38
Location : Yonkers, NY

Back to top Go down

Page 29 of 33 Previous  1 ... 16 ... 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33  Next

Back to top


 
Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum