NJ Strong Weather Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Banter Thread 5.0

Page 13 of 14 Previous  1 ... 8 ... 12, 13, 14  Next

Go down

Banter Thread 5.0 - Page 13 Empty Re: Banter Thread 5.0

Post by docstox12 on Thu Oct 08, 2020 3:50 pm

billg315:
Years ago I would post a report on the number of acorns I would see come down in comparison to the last season and make a prediction on the winter.I was corrected by a poster back then called Mako who was/is a horticulturist, who said the number of acorns is not an accurate predictor of the severity of the winter.
Not for nothing, but this year I have not seen any at all, so everybody can use that plus a dollar to buy a cup of coffee,LOL.Maybe all those busy squirrels grabbed them already!
docstox12
docstox12
Wx Statistician Guru
Wx Statistician Guru

Posts : 7011
Reputation : 211
Join date : 2013-01-07
Age : 69
Location : Monroe NY

Back to top Go down

Banter Thread 5.0 - Page 13 Empty Re: Banter Thread 5.0

Post by docstox12 on Thu Oct 08, 2020 3:53 pm

@GreyBeard wrote:
@docstox12 wrote:https://www.yahoo.com/entertainment/louisiana-meteorologist-jim-cantore-hurricane-delta-234309645.html

This is hilarious.Cantore is now looked at like he is a harbinger of doom. Didn't realize he has been with the WTC since 1986.He must have started there when he was 18 !

Never was a big fan of Cantore but i did get chuckle out of this:



He is passionate about certain weather events particularly thunder snow where he says he'd rather witness that than win a $500 million jackpot.Whatever floats your boat as the saying goes.



IMHO, TWC has a tendency to stage their reporters for maximum dramatic effect of whatever event they are covering.Remember this fiasco?




Greybeard, the Weather Channel was really good when it first came out and for the first few years.I stopped watching it years ago when the Seidell kind of stuff became their standard.That one was hilarious with the people walking normally in the background.
With our site here, I only go to NOOA primarily for the radar.
docstox12
docstox12
Wx Statistician Guru
Wx Statistician Guru

Posts : 7011
Reputation : 211
Join date : 2013-01-07
Age : 69
Location : Monroe NY

Back to top Go down

Banter Thread 5.0 - Page 13 Empty Re: Banter Thread 5.0

Post by amugs on Thu Oct 08, 2020 7:14 pm

Deer in this region and in NWNJ and Upstate NY have all said the deer have their winter coats on already, interesting observations.

_________________
Mugs 
AKA:King: Snow Weenie
Self Proclaimed
WINTER 2014-15 : 55.12" +.02 for 6 coatings (avg. 35")
WINTER 2015-16 Total - 29.8" (Avg 35")
WINTER 2016-17 : 39.5" so far
amugs
amugs
Advanced Forecaster - Mod
Advanced Forecaster - Mod

Posts : 11021
Reputation : 202
Join date : 2013-01-07
Age : 50
Location : Hillsdale,NJ

Back to top Go down

Banter Thread 5.0 - Page 13 Empty Re: Banter Thread 5.0

Post by GreyBeard on Thu Oct 08, 2020 7:39 pm

https://www.farmersalmanac.com/20-signs-of-a-hard-winter-479

And some more folklore:

When flowers that usually bloom during the spring bloom again in the fall, winter will be cold.
A big berry crop means the following winter will be a cold one.
Lots of acorns and walnuts in the fall also indicate a cold winter ahead.
Take a look at woolly worms. The thicker and more black bands they have, the more severe a winter will be. If they are rusty orange in color, however, winter will be mild.
If squirrels are busy storing lots of food in the fall, winter will be harsh. Bushy squirrel tales and nests built high in trees are also signs of a hard winter ahead.
For every fog in August, it is believed there will be a snowfall during winter.
Winter will be cold and snow if corn husks are thick and tight, apple skins are tough, and birds migrate early.
When persimmon seeds are split in half, they reveal either a spoon, knife, or fork shape. A knife indicates a winter that will be very cold, a spoon (which looks like a shovel!) predicts lots of snow, and a fork says winter will be mild.
Keep an eye on the weather on October 9. If it’s sunny, the following winter will be very cold. If it’s cloudy, winter will be milder.

GreyBeard
Pro Enthusiast
Pro Enthusiast

Posts : 490
Reputation : 32
Join date : 2014-02-12

Back to top Go down

Banter Thread 5.0 - Page 13 Empty Re: Banter Thread 5.0

Post by amugs on Fri Oct 09, 2020 12:25 pm

From Joe D at the Wx Bell says signs are starting to show 2014-15 Ocean Temperature wise but of course other variables have to come into play.

2014

Banter Thread 5.0 - Page 13 Screen_Shot_2020_10_09_at_10_49_12_AM

Today
Banter Thread 5.0 - Page 13 Cdas-sflux_ssta_global_1

_________________
Mugs 
AKA:King: Snow Weenie
Self Proclaimed
WINTER 2014-15 : 55.12" +.02 for 6 coatings (avg. 35")
WINTER 2015-16 Total - 29.8" (Avg 35")
WINTER 2016-17 : 39.5" so far
amugs
amugs
Advanced Forecaster - Mod
Advanced Forecaster - Mod

Posts : 11021
Reputation : 202
Join date : 2013-01-07
Age : 50
Location : Hillsdale,NJ

Back to top Go down

Banter Thread 5.0 - Page 13 Empty Re: Banter Thread 5.0

Post by dkodgis on Fri Oct 09, 2020 2:05 pm

Doc, Cantore started with the Weather Channel when he used to have a full head of hair. That's now long ago he started!

The LA governor asked Cantore to stay out of the state with the current hurricane. Insult added to injury.
dkodgis
dkodgis
Pro Enthusiast
Pro Enthusiast

Posts : 1306
Reputation : 97
Join date : 2013-12-29

Back to top Go down

Banter Thread 5.0 - Page 13 Empty Re: Banter Thread 5.0

Post by amugs on Wed Oct 14, 2020 11:06 am

This has been all over the place with this storm but something to watch

Banter Thread 5.0 - Page 13 Gfs_mslp_pcpn_frzn_us_52

CLOSE UP
Banter Thread 5.0 - Page 13 Gfs_mslp_pcpn_frzn_neus_52

_________________
Mugs 
AKA:King: Snow Weenie
Self Proclaimed
WINTER 2014-15 : 55.12" +.02 for 6 coatings (avg. 35")
WINTER 2015-16 Total - 29.8" (Avg 35")
WINTER 2016-17 : 39.5" so far
amugs
amugs
Advanced Forecaster - Mod
Advanced Forecaster - Mod

Posts : 11021
Reputation : 202
Join date : 2013-01-07
Age : 50
Location : Hillsdale,NJ

Back to top Go down

Banter Thread 5.0 - Page 13 Empty Re: Banter Thread 5.0

Post by docstox12 on Wed Oct 14, 2020 11:11 am

@dkodgis wrote:Doc, Cantore started with the Weather Channel when he used to have a full head of hair. That's now long ago he started!

The LA governor asked Cantore to stay out of the state with the current hurricane. Insult added to injury.

Yep, I remember those early WC days.It was really great back then to have a 24/7 channel with weather related information.
LOL, Cantore should understand being Italian about jinxes and curses.He is bad Juju for LA,LMAO!
docstox12
docstox12
Wx Statistician Guru
Wx Statistician Guru

Posts : 7011
Reputation : 211
Join date : 2013-01-07
Age : 69
Location : Monroe NY

Back to top Go down

Banter Thread 5.0 - Page 13 Empty Re: Banter Thread 5.0

Post by frank 638 on Wed Oct 14, 2020 12:03 pm

[quote="amugs"]This has been all over the place with this storm but something to watch

Banter Thread 5.0 - Page 13 Gfs_mslp_pcpn_frzn_us_52

CLOSE UP
Banter Thread 5.0 - Page 13 Gfs_mslp_pcpn_frzn_neus_52[/quote I hope not I want to have this in December January or February not this time of the year We all know what happens during the winter I know things Change but it is definitely something to watch I’ll be happy 🌧 storm

frank 638
Pro Enthusiast
Pro Enthusiast

Posts : 2125
Reputation : 36
Join date : 2016-01-01
Age : 37
Location : bronx ny

Back to top Go down

Banter Thread 5.0 - Page 13 Empty Re: Banter Thread 5.0

Post by jmanley32 on Wed Oct 14, 2020 6:59 pm

There have been several outcomes where this hurricane hits us and evolves into a huge hybrid in LR. reminds me of the frankenstorm. making its own cold air.thats crazy i didnt look at precip types i cant believe its showing heavy snow on that run.
jmanley32
jmanley32
Senior Enthusiast
Senior Enthusiast

Posts : 16839
Reputation : 100
Join date : 2013-12-12
Age : 39
Location : Yonkers, NY

Back to top Go down

Banter Thread 5.0 - Page 13 Empty Re: Banter Thread 5.0

Post by amugs on Thu Oct 15, 2020 9:54 am

GFS won't let go of this timeframe with this fantasy snow event!!!

Banter Thread 5.0 - Page 13 EkX57PTXYAE2LF6?format=jpg&name=medium

_________________
Mugs 
AKA:King: Snow Weenie
Self Proclaimed
WINTER 2014-15 : 55.12" +.02 for 6 coatings (avg. 35")
WINTER 2015-16 Total - 29.8" (Avg 35")
WINTER 2016-17 : 39.5" so far
amugs
amugs
Advanced Forecaster - Mod
Advanced Forecaster - Mod

Posts : 11021
Reputation : 202
Join date : 2013-01-07
Age : 50
Location : Hillsdale,NJ

Back to top Go down

Banter Thread 5.0 - Page 13 Empty Re: Banter Thread 5.0

Post by amugs on Thu Oct 15, 2020 9:57 am

Siberian Snow is about to go boom in the next two weeks if models are accurate which they are usually for this region. This should have some affect on our sensible weather as we head to winter if it keep sup with the Albedo Affect that causes higher pressure to from over teh poles and arctic region to teh refraction of sunlight into the atmosphere.

Banter Thread 5.0 - Page 13 EkVqXZkUwAIQ95E?format=jpg&name=medium

_________________
Mugs 
AKA:King: Snow Weenie
Self Proclaimed
WINTER 2014-15 : 55.12" +.02 for 6 coatings (avg. 35")
WINTER 2015-16 Total - 29.8" (Avg 35")
WINTER 2016-17 : 39.5" so far
amugs
amugs
Advanced Forecaster - Mod
Advanced Forecaster - Mod

Posts : 11021
Reputation : 202
Join date : 2013-01-07
Age : 50
Location : Hillsdale,NJ

Back to top Go down

Banter Thread 5.0 - Page 13 Empty Re: Banter Thread 5.0

Post by HectorO on Thu Oct 15, 2020 11:15 am

I'm liking the gradual increase into fall. Slow and steady!
HectorO
HectorO
Pro Enthusiast
Pro Enthusiast

Posts : 873
Reputation : 24
Join date : 2013-01-11

Back to top Go down

Banter Thread 5.0 - Page 13 Empty Re: Banter Thread 5.0

Post by jmanley32 on Thu Oct 15, 2020 8:22 pm

@docstox12 wrote:
@GreyBeard wrote:
@docstox12 wrote:https://www.yahoo.com/entertainment/louisiana-meteorologist-jim-cantore-hurricane-delta-234309645.html

This is hilarious.Cantore is now looked at like he is a harbinger of doom. Didn't realize he has been with the WTC since 1986.He must have started there when he was 18 !

Never was a big fan of Cantore but i did get chuckle out of this:



He is passionate about certain weather events particularly thunder snow where he says he'd rather witness that than win a $500 million jackpot.Whatever floats your boat as the saying goes.



IMHO, TWC has a tendency to stage their reporters for maximum dramatic effect of whatever event they are covering.Remember this fiasco?




Greybeard, the Weather Channel was really good when it first came out and for the first few years.I stopped watching it years ago when the Seidell kind of stuff became their standard.That one was hilarious with the people walking normally in the background.
With our site here, I only go to NOOA primarily for the radar.
Did you also happen to notice even worse he is bracing the wrong way, look at the direction the grass is blowing in on the raised area next to him lmao. he should be blowing over by leaning that direction. I only watch TWC for footage not the reports or reporters, but they often capture good images and video.
jmanley32
jmanley32
Senior Enthusiast
Senior Enthusiast

Posts : 16839
Reputation : 100
Join date : 2013-12-12
Age : 39
Location : Yonkers, NY

Back to top Go down

Banter Thread 5.0 - Page 13 Empty Re: Banter Thread 5.0

Post by billg315 on Fri Oct 16, 2020 9:49 am

So it appears that most of the long range forecasting is not calling for a particularly cold or snowy winter in this area. However, the squirrel activity is off the charts (they were having a rave in my backyard the other evening). And I may be moving this winter and every year I've moved has featured either a snowy winter, or at least one major snowstorm (usually right around the timeframe I move). So there is hope.
billg315
billg315
Advanced Forecaster - Mod
Advanced Forecaster - Mod

Posts : 3056
Reputation : 163
Join date : 2015-01-24
Age : 46
Location : Somerville, NJ

Back to top Go down

Banter Thread 5.0 - Page 13 Empty Re: Banter Thread 5.0

Post by HectorO on Fri Oct 16, 2020 10:00 am

@billg315 wrote:So it appears that most of the long range forecasting is not calling for a particularly cold or snowy winter in this area. However, the squirrel activity is off the charts (they were having a rave in my backyard the other evening). And I may be moving this winter and every year I've moved has featured either a snowy winter, or at least one major snowstorm (usually right around the timeframe I move). So there is hope.

Odd, since the Almanac called for a cold snowy one.. but predictions don't mean much. Some that were supposed to be snowy ended up warm and vice versa.
HectorO
HectorO
Pro Enthusiast
Pro Enthusiast

Posts : 873
Reputation : 24
Join date : 2013-01-11

HectorO likes this post

Back to top Go down

Banter Thread 5.0 - Page 13 Empty Re: Banter Thread 5.0

Post by weatherwatchermom on Fri Oct 16, 2020 11:32 am

@billg315 wrote:So it appears that most of the long range forecasting is not calling for a particularly cold or snowy winter in this area. However, the squirrel activity is off the charts (they were having a rave in my backyard the other evening). And I may be moving this winter and every year I've moved has featured either a snowy winter, or at least one major snowstorm (usually right around the timeframe I move). So there is hope.

ha ha same here with the squirrels...and even the ground hog that we have is out of control with his eating..I came home from my target pick up with Hairspray to spray on my pumpkins..4 have been eaten and this latest batch I wanted to protect. I thought I was having a Caddy Shack moment..the ground hog was stilling on my front step..just munching away on the biggest pumpkin...I opened my door and he just looked at me and kept eating...I had to yell at him to go away..lol..and I gave him that pumpkin near his little nesting spot..what the heck..I have all my big pumpkins in the house right now and will put out Halloween..and the little ones I sprayed so far they are all ok..lol. Good luck with your move!!
weatherwatchermom
weatherwatchermom
Pro Enthusiast
Pro Enthusiast

Posts : 2735
Reputation : 73
Join date : 2014-11-25
Age : 56
Location : Hazlet Township

Back to top Go down

Banter Thread 5.0 - Page 13 Empty Re: Banter Thread 5.0

Post by amugs on Fri Oct 16, 2020 12:12 pm

Said this before - old salty's in the area have noted - deer have their winter coats earlier than usual which means colder earlier - that lines up with a La Nina where we have a front loaded winter.


_________________
Mugs 
AKA:King: Snow Weenie
Self Proclaimed
WINTER 2014-15 : 55.12" +.02 for 6 coatings (avg. 35")
WINTER 2015-16 Total - 29.8" (Avg 35")
WINTER 2016-17 : 39.5" so far
amugs
amugs
Advanced Forecaster - Mod
Advanced Forecaster - Mod

Posts : 11021
Reputation : 202
Join date : 2013-01-07
Age : 50
Location : Hillsdale,NJ

Back to top Go down

Banter Thread 5.0 - Page 13 Empty Re: Banter Thread 5.0

Post by billg315 on Fri Oct 16, 2020 1:02 pm

@weatherwatchermom wrote:
@billg315 wrote:So it appears that most of the long range forecasting is not calling for a particularly cold or snowy winter in this area. However, the squirrel activity is off the charts (they were having a rave in my backyard the other evening). And I may be moving this winter and every year I've moved has featured either a snowy winter, or at least one major snowstorm (usually right around the timeframe I move). So there is hope.

ha ha same here with the squirrels...and even the ground hog that we have is out of control with his eating..I came home from my target pick up with Hairspray to spray on my pumpkins..4 have been eaten and this latest batch I wanted to protect. I thought I was having a Caddy Shack moment..the ground hog was stilling on my front step..just munching away on the biggest pumpkin...I opened my door and he just looked at me and kept eating...I had to yell at him to go away..lol..and I gave him that pumpkin near his little nesting spot..what the heck..I have all my big pumpkins in the house right now and will put out Halloween..and the little ones I sprayed so far they are all ok..lol. Good luck with your move!!

Yeah, these squirrels are totally out of control. And someone (something) decimated my neighbors pumpkin on their front steps. I don't know if squirrels eat pumpkins, but if so, they could be a prime suspect.
billg315
billg315
Advanced Forecaster - Mod
Advanced Forecaster - Mod

Posts : 3056
Reputation : 163
Join date : 2015-01-24
Age : 46
Location : Somerville, NJ

Back to top Go down

Banter Thread 5.0 - Page 13 Empty Re: Banter Thread 5.0

Post by amugs on Fri Oct 16, 2020 1:43 pm

UMM Houston??
Banter Thread 5.0 - Page 13 1603735200-LYIhaTAVtHk

_________________
Mugs 
AKA:King: Snow Weenie
Self Proclaimed
WINTER 2014-15 : 55.12" +.02 for 6 coatings (avg. 35")
WINTER 2015-16 Total - 29.8" (Avg 35")
WINTER 2016-17 : 39.5" so far
amugs
amugs
Advanced Forecaster - Mod
Advanced Forecaster - Mod

Posts : 11021
Reputation : 202
Join date : 2013-01-07
Age : 50
Location : Hillsdale,NJ

Back to top Go down

Banter Thread 5.0 - Page 13 Empty Re: Banter Thread 5.0

Post by weatherwatchermom on Fri Oct 16, 2020 3:18 pm

@billg315 wrote:
@weatherwatchermom wrote:
@billg315 wrote:So it appears that most of the long range forecasting is not calling for a particularly cold or snowy winter in this area. However, the squirrel activity is off the charts (they were having a rave in my backyard the other evening). And I may be moving this winter and every year I've moved has featured either a snowy winter, or at least one major snowstorm (usually right around the timeframe I move). So there is hope.

ha ha same here with the squirrels...and even the ground hog that we have is out of control with his eating..I came home from my target pick up with Hairspray to spray on my pumpkins..4 have been eaten and this latest batch I wanted to protect. I thought I was having a Caddy Shack moment..the ground hog was stilling on my front step..just munching away on the biggest pumpkin...I opened my door and he just looked at me and kept eating...I had to yell at him to go away..lol..and I gave him that pumpkin near his little nesting spot..what the heck..I have all my big pumpkins in the house right now and will put out Halloween..and the little ones I sprayed so far they are all ok..lol. Good luck with your move!!

Yeah, these squirrels are totally out of control. And someone (something) decimated my neighbors pumpkin on their front steps. I don't know if squirrels eat pumpkins, but if so, they could be a prime suspect.

yes, squirrels love pumpkins and when I am done with them I wash them and cut an put under a bush for them to nibble on, but when I first put them out, I spray with hair spray..that keeps them from nibbling on them.
weatherwatchermom
weatherwatchermom
Pro Enthusiast
Pro Enthusiast

Posts : 2735
Reputation : 73
Join date : 2014-11-25
Age : 56
Location : Hazlet Township

Back to top Go down

Banter Thread 5.0 - Page 13 Empty Re: Banter Thread 5.0

Post by jmanley32 on Fri Oct 16, 2020 4:36 pm

@amugs wrote:UMM Houston??
Banter Thread 5.0 - Page 13 1603735200-LYIhaTAVtHk
yep this is potential hurricane epsilon and all models have it developing in the usual area for this time of year. I think east coast especially up this way def has watch. Some runs like this one are very close and it appears to merge with another system and explode into a massive storm on the magnitude of Sandy but higher winds verbatim. Potentially even snow. Still 10 days out but it rockets on this run from carribean to New England in 1 day which is insane.
jmanley32
jmanley32
Senior Enthusiast
Senior Enthusiast

Posts : 16839
Reputation : 100
Join date : 2013-12-12
Age : 39
Location : Yonkers, NY

Back to top Go down

Banter Thread 5.0 - Page 13 Empty Re: Banter Thread 5.0

Post by jmanley32 on Fri Oct 16, 2020 4:39 pm

@weatherwatchermom wrote:
@billg315 wrote:
@weatherwatchermom wrote:
@billg315 wrote:So it appears that most of the long range forecasting is not calling for a particularly cold or snowy winter in this area. However, the squirrel activity is off the charts (they were having a rave in my backyard the other evening). And I may be moving this winter and every year I've moved has featured either a snowy winter, or at least one major snowstorm (usually right around the timeframe I move). So there is hope.

ha ha same here with the squirrels...and even the ground hog that we have is out of control with his eating..I came home from my target pick up with Hairspray to spray on my pumpkins..4 have been eaten and this latest batch I wanted to protect. I thought I was having a Caddy Shack moment..the ground hog was stilling on my front step..just munching away on the biggest pumpkin...I opened my door and he just looked at me and kept eating...I had to yell at him to go away..lol..and I gave him that pumpkin near his little nesting spot..what the heck..I have all my big pumpkins in the house right now and will put out Halloween..and the little ones I sprayed so far they are all ok..lol. Good luck with your move!!

Yeah, these squirrels are totally out of control. And someone (something) decimated my neighbors pumpkin on their front steps. I don't know if squirrels eat pumpkins, but if so, they could be a prime suspect.

yes, squirrels love pumpkins and when I am done with them I wash them and cut an put under a bush for them to nibble on, but when I first put them out, I spray with hair spray..that keeps them from nibbling on them.
squirrels are rampant. I had one sit and stare at me not but one foot away. Lots of but eating and sadly I hit two by accident. I can't slam my breaks on for all squirrels risk a accident.
jmanley32
jmanley32
Senior Enthusiast
Senior Enthusiast

Posts : 16839
Reputation : 100
Join date : 2013-12-12
Age : 39
Location : Yonkers, NY

Back to top Go down

Banter Thread 5.0 - Page 13 Empty Re: Banter Thread 5.0

Post by jmanley32 on Fri Oct 16, 2020 4:42 pm

[quote="amugs"]GFS won't let go of this timeframe with this fantasy snow event!!!

Banter Thread 5.0 - Page 13 EkX57PTXYAE2LF6?format=jpg&name=medium[/quotehappened b4 2011. And 2018. Not a good thing but I think to coinciding sucky winter is a coincidence. To note I read that each year after the lowest snowfalls on record there was well above normal snowfall. So let's hope. This winter may be pretty unpleasant in terms of covid and the flu so tracking storms may be our only fun.
jmanley32
jmanley32
Senior Enthusiast
Senior Enthusiast

Posts : 16839
Reputation : 100
Join date : 2013-12-12
Age : 39
Location : Yonkers, NY

Back to top Go down

Banter Thread 5.0 - Page 13 Empty Re: Banter Thread 5.0

Post by weatherwatchermom on Fri Oct 16, 2020 9:36 pm


Jman..have you seen this

https://www.tapinto.net/towns/middletown/sections/the-bayshore/articles/huge-town-wide-garage-sale-in-hazlet-oct-17th-over-180-homes

Have fun..not going to any this year...but they are usually fun!
weatherwatchermom
weatherwatchermom
Pro Enthusiast
Pro Enthusiast

Posts : 2735
Reputation : 73
Join date : 2014-11-25
Age : 56
Location : Hazlet Township

Back to top Go down

Page 13 of 14 Previous  1 ... 8 ... 12, 13, 14  Next

Back to top


 
Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum