NJ Strong Weather Forum

Join the forum, it's quick and easy

NJ Strong Weather Forum
NJ Strong Weather Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Banter Thread 5.0

+38
Taffy
aiannone
oldtimer
SENJsnowman
bloc1357
CPcantmeasuresnow
Scullybutcher
sabamfa
rb924119
lja
Irish
heehaw453
mikeypizano
Analog96
kalleg
Jack D.
Quietace
HectorO
algae888
nutleyblizzard
Frank_Wx
dkodgis
Math23x7
Snow88
Bkdude
brownie
sroc4
jimv45
GreyBeard
billg315
frank 638
docstox12
amugs
weatherwatchermom
mwilli
jmanley32
Grselig
Dunnzoo
42 posters

Page 20 of 34 Previous  1 ... 11 ... 19, 20, 21 ... 27 ... 34  Next

Go down

Banter Thread 5.0 - Page 20 Empty Re: Banter Thread 5.0

Post by Scullybutcher Fri Dec 11, 2020 8:45 pm

Now all we need is for Wednesday storm to disappear from all the maps, get everyone nervous that is what imaginary and then on Sunday night it comes back on board better then before.

Scullybutcher
Pro Enthusiast
Pro Enthusiast

Back to top Go down

Post by Irish Fri Dec 11, 2020 9:14 pm

Scullybutcher wrote:Now all we need is for Wednesday storm to disappear from all the maps, get everyone nervous that is what imaginary and then on Sunday night it comes back on board better then before.

Do you want Manley to have a massive coronary between now and then?!?

Irish
Pro Enthusiast
Pro Enthusiast

Back to top Go down

Post by docstox12 Fri Dec 11, 2020 11:49 pm

With all the excitement of the possible snowstorm next week, I take the liberty to mention this is the 60th anniversary of the Dec11-12 1960 blizzard that hit the tri state area dumping over 20 inches in Fort Lee where I lived at the time.This storm officially, at age 10, got me addicted to snowstorms.
Dec 11 was a Sunday, and on the way to Sunday School, I noticed filtered sun.As the afternoon wore on, the sun gradually disappeared.Around 3 PM, the first flakes started coming down.By 8 PM, there were a few inches down and I would look out the living room window at the streetlight to notice the heavier, swirling snow as the wind picked up.That night I woke up around 2 AM with the howling winds.Snow ended mid morning with two days off from school.Temps dropped into the single digits the night after the storm.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_8Kq7MLpM9o
docstox12
docstox12
Wx Statistician Guru
Wx Statistician Guru

sroc4 and CPcantmeasuresnow like this post

Back to top Go down

Post by Irish Fri Dec 11, 2020 11:59 pm

docstox12 wrote:With all the excitement of the possible snowstorm next week, I take the liberty to mention this is the 60th anniversary of the Dec11-12 1960 blizzard that hit the tri state area dumping over 20 inches in Fort Lee where I lived at the time.This storm officially, at age 10, got me addicted to snowstorms.
Dec 11 was a Sunday, and on the way to Sunday School, I noticed filtered sun.As the afternoon wore on, the sun gradually disappeared.Around 3 PM, the first flakes started coming down.By 8 PM, there were a few inches down and I would look out the living room window at the streetlight to notice the heavier, swirling snow as the wind picked up.That night I woke up around 2 AM with the howling winds.Snow ended mid morning with two days off from school.Temps dropped into the single digits the night after the storm.

Wow, you never realize people's individual situations. You're 70 years old?! That's awesome that you shared such an awesome memory of falling in love with winter weather/snow through the eyes of an excited child. The same happened for me except it was in the 80s.
Irish
Irish
Pro Enthusiast
Pro Enthusiast

Back to top Go down

Post by docstox12 Sat Dec 12, 2020 6:56 am

Irish wrote:
docstox12 wrote:With all the excitement of the possible snowstorm next week, I take the liberty to mention this is the 60th anniversary of the Dec11-12 1960 blizzard that hit the tri state area dumping over 20 inches in Fort Lee where I lived at the time.This storm officially, at age 10, got me addicted to snowstorms.

Wow, you never realize people's individual situations.   You're 70 years old?!  That's awesome that you shared such an awesome memory of falling in love with winter weather/snow through the eyes of an excited child. The same happened for me except it was in the 80s.

Yep, turned 70 in November and can't believe I made it , but that's another story.
As you know, from back in the 1980's, once you've experienced a major NECS, it gets in your blood for life.With this possible major snowstorm next week,I do feel like 10 years old again.

Today with the amazing technology, we have this wonderful weather site with it's community of meteorologists who do amazing things with the telleconnections and maps.We have radar available to everybody and cams all over to check on snow falling.Back in 1960, all you had was the 7 and 11 O'clock news Mets Like Tex Antoine on Channel 5 and Gloria Okon on Channel 11.You could tune in to WINS or WNEW radio every half hour to hear the latest forecast.Basically, you were flying blind in nowcast territory.

Major December snowstorms are rare around this neck of the woods.Let's hope we make this one.
docstox12
docstox12
Wx Statistician Guru
Wx Statistician Guru

Back to top Go down

Post by sroc4 Sat Dec 12, 2020 7:22 am

Irish wrote:

Wow, you never realize people's individual situations.   You're 70 years old?!  That's awesome that you shared such an awesome memory of falling in love with winter weather/snow through the eyes of an excited child. The same happened for me except it was in the 80s.

Doc Im pretty sure most of us on this board have some form of a similar story.  Irish I was born in the late 70's but was an 80's kid as well.  Doc's story brought me back.  In my parents old house we had two wall switches mounted to the right of the kitchen door.  One turned the kitchen lights on and off, and the other turned on an out door flood light attached to the peak of our one story ranch.  To the right of the light switch was a window overlooking the driveway and side lawn.  As a kid I have vivid memories on evenings before a predicted snow storm walking over to the kitchen window and first turning off the kitchen light; then taking a deep breath and flipping on the out door light, looking up and out in front of the flood light thinking.  "Is it snowing yet?"  My mother would poke fun at me because Id be over at the window at least 4-6 times an hour straining my eyes just to see those first couple of flakes slowly drift by the the flood light against the dark night sky back drop.  I just had to see he first flakes fly before I could go to bed.  

I shared a bedroom with my kid brother which was located on the southwest corner of our humble ranch, on the opposite side of where the kitchen was.  When we woke the next morning, whoever woke up first would wake the other, and together we would slowly pull the cord to our shade covering the window that separated our two twin beds, to reveal the result of how much white gold fell while we slept.  If the street was covered we would throw on the hand knitted slippers my grandmother had made for us and tear town the hall back to the kitchen.  Behind the kitchen door; slightly more than a child's arm length away was the corner of the kitchen cabinets mounted above the kitchen counter.  Separating the door from the beginning of the kitchen counter was a small recessed closet to hang the winter coats.  My father had mounted a small CB radio, which we used to play with in the summer because you would sometimes talk to truckers across the country when the CB radio waves would bounce or "skip" off the atmosphere and reach out much farther than normal during the warmer summer months.  (Anyone else know what I'm talking about?)  In addition, next to the CB radio, my father had mounted a small am/fm radio as well.  Nothing brought more joy to me, my kid brother and kid sister, than to turn on that radio, tune into 97.5 or 106.1, and listen to the list of school closures.

"...Mattituck, Miller Place, Mount Sinai..."  " cheers  cheers  cheers "SCHOOLS CLOSED!!!!!!!!!!!"

Why do I tell my story?  I don't know.  Ill be turning 44 in a few months.  As I round second base I have started looking back a little more to appreciate some of the things I've experienced thus far.  I now get to watch my own kids get just as excited for snow and the prospect of snow days off from school.  Although this year apparently, a snow day now equals distance learning on their Chrome books.  So yeah no more snow days.  Thanks 2020.  My son I think has the winter weather and def tropical system weather bug.  He loves looking at the radar with me, and has shown a keen interest in understanding some of the maps I look at on the diff models.  

Anyway, Doc thanks again for igniting a few really fond memories for me, Irish, and I'm sure many others on this board.  Have a wonderful weekend everyone.

EDIT:  And Happy Belated Birthday Doc!  party

Cheers!!   What a Face

WINTER 2014/2015 TOTALS 71.20"WINTER 2019/2020 TOTALS 6.35"
WINTER 2015/2016 TOTALS 35.00"WINTER 2020/2021 TOTALS 37.75"
WINTER 2016/2017 TOTALS 42.25"WINTER 2021/2022 TOTALS 31.65" 
sroc4
sroc4
Admin
Admin

brownie likes this post

Back to top Go down

Post by heehaw453 Sat Dec 12, 2020 7:44 am

Absolutely love the scroll!

heehaw453
Advanced Forecaster
Advanced Forecaster

Back to top Go down

Post by sroc4 Sat Dec 12, 2020 7:49 am

heehaw453 wrote:Absolutely love the scroll!  

Only me and Frank have the ability to change the scroll.  When I first came on this am the scroll was different.  Notice we are now in "Storm Mode" too. Since I didn't change the scroll this this means Frank is awake and fully invested LOL.  When the Captn gets excited we all get excited

sroc4
sroc4
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by docstox12 Sat Dec 12, 2020 7:52 am

Cheers Doc.
Loved your wonderful trip down memory lane! Yep, I remember the CB Radio "breaker, breaker, we got us a CONVOY" days.
I got into a major jam around that 1960 time frame when the phone company offered a weather forecast if you dialed WE 6-1212. It cost a nickle.If a storm like next weds was approaching, I would call that number 10 times a day.UNTIL, the bill came and my Dad went ballistic,lol.I had to work off the over ten bucks I had built up doing extra chores around the house.Made you learn the value of a dollar.
My savior came years later with the good old Weather Cube from Radio Shack.A direct connection to NOOA and you could get a new forecast every hour.
Loved your story about looking at the snow in the lights.My Mom, God Bless her she just turned 100, would say to me "you're gonna wear a path down in the rug"!
Anyway, as you well know coming from humble beginnings like me, every day is a precious gift to be unwrapped carefully and enjoyed.
Let's toast to an AREA wide MECS next week and have a White Christmas.We all need a boost after this year.

Last edited by docstox12 on Sat Dec 12, 2020 7:56 am; edited 1 time in total
docstox12
docstox12
Wx Statistician Guru
Wx Statistician Guru

Back to top Go down

Post by docstox12 Sat Dec 12, 2020 7:55 am

sroc4 wrote:
heehaw453 wrote:Absolutely love the scroll!  

Only me and Frank have the ability to change the scroll.  When I first came on this am the scroll was different.  Notice we are now in "Storm Mode" too.  Since I didn't change the scroll this this means Frank is awake and fully invested LOL.  When the Captn gets excited we all get excited

GREAT news, another step in the right direction!!!!!
docstox12
docstox12
Wx Statistician Guru
Wx Statistician Guru

Back to top Go down

Post by dkodgis Sat Dec 12, 2020 8:03 am

Scott, Doc...you guys write so well. Vivid. I felt in your shoes, especially when you Doc wrote about getting your back porch painted red over the weather calls on the bill. I did the same thing until my back porch got painted. Happy belated birthday. I cut and pasted in the YouTube video and I remember those cars like yesterday. We lived in the country back then so our roads might not get plowed for two days. We knew we were landlocked; power went out regularly. We grinned and bore it. Lots of memories of stuffing the food into the snow to keep it from spoiling. Doc, here is one for you. Remember the old crystal sets you could build and run a wire from the house to the laundry pole for an antenna? Country music during the six days; religious music on Sundays. If you were lucky, some weather. Then came the Borg weather cube. I still have mine and I think I said that in another post. That is a benefit of getting older. You are told you repeat yourself. Like snowstorms, there are fewer memories ahead than behind.
dkodgis
dkodgis
Senior Enthusiast
Senior Enthusiast

Back to top Go down

Post by CPcantmeasuresnow Sat Dec 12, 2020 8:42 am

docstox12 wrote:
Irish wrote:

Yep, turned 70 in November and can't believe I made it , but that's another story.
As you know, from back in the 1980's, once you've experienced a major NECS, it gets in your blood for life.With this possible major snowstorm next week,I do feel like 10 years old again.

Today with the amazing technology, we have this wonderful weather site with it's community of meteorologists who do amazing things with the telleconnections and maps.We have radar available to everybody and cams all over to check on snow falling.Back in 1960, all you had was the 7 and 11 O'clock news Mets Like Tex Antoine on Channel 5 and Gloria Okon on Channel 11.You could tune in to WINS or WNEW radio every half hour to hear the latest forecast.Basically, you were flying blind in nowcast territory.

Major December snowstorms are rare around this neck of the woods.Let's hope we make this one.

Rare around the coastal plain and cit,y not so rare away from the ocean.
CPcantmeasuresnow
CPcantmeasuresnow
Wx Statistician Guru
Wx Statistician Guru

Back to top Go down

Post by Frank_Wx Sat Dec 12, 2020 8:47 am

Happy belated birthday to my friend, Doc! Great story and look forward to hearing many more Smile

CLICK HERE to view NJ Strong Snowstorm Classifications
Frank_Wx
Frank_Wx
Godzilla Seeker
Godzilla Seeker

http://njstrongweather.blogspot.com/

Back to top Go down

Post by docstox12 Sat Dec 12, 2020 9:01 am

Frank_Wx wrote:Happy belated birthday to my friend, Doc! Great story and look forward to hearing many more Smile

Cheers, Frank!
docstox12
docstox12
Wx Statistician Guru
Wx Statistician Guru

Back to top Go down

Post by docstox12 Sat Dec 12, 2020 9:03 am

CPcantmeasuresnow wrote:
docstox12 wrote:
Irish wrote:

Rare around the coastal plain and cit,y not so rare away from the ocean.

Your right, CP, but I was in the Coastal Plain many years until I moved up to the LHV 6 years ago.
docstox12
docstox12
Wx Statistician Guru
Wx Statistician Guru

CPcantmeasuresnow likes this post

Back to top Go down

Post by amugs Sat Dec 12, 2020 9:07 am

DOC - Happy Belated Birthday my man!!
We need a G2G!!
Great stories gents and yes they write very fluid and vivid.

The Captain says sound the general quarters alarms 1st mate Sroc and tell my mods to get all hands on deck!!

AYE AYE CAPTAIN!!

Banter Thread 5.0 - Page 20 2Q==

WINTER 2014-15 : 55.12" +.02 for 6 coatings (avg. 35")
WINTER 2015-16 Total - 29.8" (Avg 35")
WINTER 2016-17 : 39.5" so far
amugs
amugs
Advanced Forecaster - Mod

sroc4 likes this post

Back to top Go down

Post by docstox12 Sat Dec 12, 2020 9:11 am

dkodgis wrote:Scott, Doc...you guys write so well.  Vivid. I felt in your shoes, especially when you Doc wrote about getting your back porch painted red over the weather calls on the bill. I did the same thing until my back porch got painted. Happy belated birthday.  I cut and pasted in the YouTube video and I remember those cars like yesterday.  We lived in the country back then so our roads might not get plowed for two days. We knew we were landlocked; power went out regularly. We grinned and bore it. Lots of memories of stuffing the food into the snow to keep it from spoiling. Doc, here is one for you. Remember the old crystal sets you could build and run a wire from the house to the laundry pole for an antenna? Country music during the six days; religious music on Sundays. If you were lucky, some weather.  Then came the Borg weather cube. I still have mine and I think I said that in another post. That is a benefit of getting older. You are told you repeat yourself.  Like snowstorms, there are fewer memories ahead than behind.

Damian, great to hear from you! Back side painted, that's hilarious.My Dad was an expert at that, all right,LOL.
Yep, in 1962, my parents gave me a crystal set from the old Lafayette Electronics ( they had a store in Paramus NJ Route 17 north.I would tune in Cousin Brucie on WABC after I built it or try and get weather forecasts.
I got into cars in the late 1950's.99.9% of cars were US made then 50% of which were Ford and Chevy.There were the rare VW Bugs, MIG's and Saab.We had a 1947 Dodge until 1958 when the rear axle cracked.My Dad then picked up a 1954 Desoto Powerflyte with only 36,000 miles.My first car was a 1959 Ford Custom 300 two door.A real heap but loved it,LOL.One day in 1963, I walked around town with my 35 mm camera and got slides of a 1950 Studebaker ("is it coming or going,LOL), a 1948 Dodge, 1949 Mercury, 1949 DeSoto,a 1942 Plymouth and a 1947 Buick.PLENTY of old cars from the 40's and 50's were on the road in '63.
Anyway, so glad this storm popped up, it lit the board up, and we need the boost after this rough year!
docstox12
docstox12
Wx Statistician Guru
Wx Statistician Guru

Back to top Go down

Post by docstox12 Sat Dec 12, 2020 9:12 am

amugs wrote:DOC - Happy Belated Birthday my man!!
We need a G2G!!

The Captain says sound the general quarters alarms 1st mate Sroc and tell my mods to get all hands on deck!!

AYE AYE CAPTAIN!!

Cheers, Mugsy, and LMAO at that picture!! Bring this one home, Mugsy, you are the MAN.
docstox12
docstox12
Wx Statistician Guru
Wx Statistician Guru

Back to top Go down

Post by amugs Sat Dec 12, 2020 9:27 am

docstox12 wrote:
amugs wrote:DOC - Happy Belated Birthday my man!!
We need a G2G!!

AYE AYE CAPTAIN!!

Cheers, Mugsy, and LMAO at that picture!! Bring this one home, Mugsy, you are the MAN.

Going to do my damdest DOC and we can wake that bear up from his hibernation in CP LOL!! Not until teh flaks are hitting the ground shall we do so okay??

amugs
amugs

Back to top Go down

Post by brownie Sat Dec 12, 2020 9:32 am

sroc4 wrote:As a kid I have vivid memories on evenings before a predicted snow storm walking over to the kitchen window and first turning off the kitchen light; then taking a deep breath and flipping on the out door light, looking up and out in front of the flood light thinking.  "Is it snowing yet?"  My mother would poke fun at me because Id be over at the window at least 4-6 times an hour straining my eyes just to see those first couple of flakes slowly drift by the the flood light against the dark night sky back drop.
I still do that!  

I loved reading your story.  Smile

brownie

Back to top Go down

Post by Frank_Wx Sat Dec 12, 2020 9:37 am

My house in Cranford has a huge spotlight that provides light to our entire yard. That was the switch that flipped on/off millions of times as a kid to determine if it’s snowing or not.

Frank_Wx
Frank_Wx
Godzilla Seeker
Godzilla Seeker

Back to top Go down

Post by Frank_Wx Sat Dec 12, 2020 9:38 am

Banter Thread 5.0 - Page 20 93b2b010

Frank_Wx
Frank_Wx
Godzilla Seeker
Godzilla Seeker

Back to top Go down

Post by sroc4 Sat Dec 12, 2020 9:47 am

brownie wrote:
sroc4 wrote:As a kid I have vivid memories on evenings before a predicted snow storm walking over to the kitchen window and first turning off the kitchen light; then taking a deep breath and flipping on the out door light, looking up and out in front of the flood light thinking.  "Is it snowing yet?"  My mother would poke fun at me because Id be over at the window at least 4-6 times an hour straining my eyes just to see those first couple of flakes slowly drift by the the flood light against the dark night sky back drop.
I still do that!  

I loved reading your story.  Smile

Lol. Thanks Brownie. And I still do too! Now instead of my mother poking fun at me it’s my wife. Lol

sroc4
sroc4
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by amugs Sat Dec 12, 2020 12:58 pm

After seeing the suns activity come to life in a huge way lately though very late but nevertheless, the CME and Flares are ramping up. Here is my 2021 prediction - we will see a major EQ in the US of 7.0 or greater - West Coast (Cascadian Fault), Possibly the New Madrid Fault in Mizzou region. This maybe very destructive.

We will see a couple of VEI 4 and a possible VEI 5 Volcanic eruption maybe even simultaneously meaning within days this means nothing to the earths timescale peeps but to us yes and it really doesn't either:

Life expectancy say 78 tears old x 365 not including leap years = 28,470 days in ones life
if it is 3 days between them then it is .0001044 % of ones life
Earth is 4.5 billion years old=1.658 to the 14power of days = trillions - roughly since we do not know what the days were in length or how many during its formation and the 1st 4 billion years of its existence - we can conjure and estimate but we do not know if the days were 24 hours, 36 hours, 72 hours or 16 hours to my knowledge, maybe some of you know and can enlighten = some research says 18 hours some says 20 hours

Any way this = a very very insignificant number of .0000000000000000001809 - I think LOL!.

Could be off by a year (again in the timeline of our lives and earths it is a smidge overall) but the earth's mantle and crust are perturbating bigly and we are seeing a dozen volcanoes and eq's going off plus around the world at any one time when the sun gets active like such and our magnetosphere is very weak and has been trailing off for years now - this protects us from teh cosmic rays and protons that the suns ejects out during CME - coronal Mass Ejections and Flares.

There will be very extreme and wild weather events as we have seen this past year and half to 2 years and it has happened before and will again - it is the life cycle of this beautiful planet, and we have no frickin' control over it so just bear with it. As I tell my students: Be Prepared, not Scared!
What a time to be alive!!

amugs
amugs

Back to top Go down

Post by jmanley32 Sat Dec 12, 2020 2:20 pm

Frank_Wx wrote:Banter Thread 5.0 - Page 20 93b2b010
Oh man thats a great photoshop!! I love it!! Where did you get that image, thats a run for this storm?
jmanley32
jmanley32
Senior Enthusiast
Senior Enthusiast

Back to top Go down

Post by CPcantmeasuresnow Sat Dec 12, 2020 4:58 pm

docstox12 wrote:
Frank_Wx wrote:Happy belated birthday to my friend, Doc! Great story and look forward to hearing many more Smile

Cheers, Frank!

When was your birthday Doc?
CPcantmeasuresnow
CPcantmeasuresnow
Wx Statistician Guru
Wx Statistician Guru

Back to top Go down

Post by HectorO Sat Dec 12, 2020 5:01 pm

Mine was the 10th! 2 days ago..
HectorO
HectorO