NJ Strong Weather Forum

Join the forum, it's quick and easy

NJ Strong Weather Forum
NJ Strong Weather Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Banter Thread 6.0

+40
Radz
kalleg
phil155
Wheezer
nutleyblizzard
rb924119
jimv45
brownie
Math23x7
SoulSingMG
mikeypizano
DAYBLAZER
SkiSeadooJoe
Joe Snow
essexcountypete
aiannone
heehaw453
frank 638
mwilli
Irish
Scullybutcher
algae888
bobjohnsonforthehall
docstox12
CPcantmeasuresnow
Dunnzoo
sroc4
amugs
SENJsnowman
weatherwatchermom
jmanley32
HectorO
TheAresian
dkodgis
GreyBeard
Grselig
snowday111
billg315
WeatherBob
Frank_Wx
44 posters

Page 11 of 30 Previous  1 ... 7 ... 10, 11, 12 ... 20 ... 30  Next

Go down

Banter Thread 6.0 - Page 11 Empty Re: Banter Thread 6.0

Post by essexcountypete Mon Mar 29, 2021 3:30 pm

weatherwatchermom wrote:Banter Thread 6.0 - Page 11 Img_2020
Our girl crossed the rainbow 🌈 bridge last night..

I'm so sorry.

essexcountypete
Pro Enthusiast
Pro Enthusiast

Back to top Go down

Post by GreyBeard Mon Mar 29, 2021 3:42 pm

docstox12 wrote:
GreyBeard wrote:Out of curiosity on my part, I am wondering how many of the "senior" members or any other eligible group have been successful in getting the covid vaccination? Does everyone want it?

I have been checking in with the state website daily and calling their hotline sometimes 3X a day looking for an appointment or cancellation to fill. One agent said he could get me an appointment up in Potsdam NY some 450 miles away. Took a pass on that one lol. All available locations are upstate, still nothing local. There was a small window that opened up back on 3/10 when they lowered the age to 60. I was able to book an appointment, but it was at the end of May, some 2 months away. Low and behold, just after booking that, I got an email from Northwell Health telling me I was eligible to book now. I took the appt. and got the shot 2 days later. It was the Johnson and Johnson vaccine one shot deal. I figured something was better than nothing. I kind of feel like a guinea pig in a way though by just blindly following the herd because this is supposedly what is in our best interests to stay healthy and safe. I mean it was only approved for distribution on 2/27 which was just over a week prior to my shot. I think a lot of people believe that if they get vaccinated then they can go back to the way life used to be.

I read an article which was saying that in a couple of months there will be an overabundance of vaccine, and it will all go to waste because of certain restrictions that are put on its distribution and its shelf life. Anybody want to share your opinion?

Greybeard, my wife, a patient of Sloan Kettering, got her two Pfizer shots a month ago.They offered it to their patients.No ill effects except for a sore shoulder.I have been dragging my feet on this but will try and get mine as soon as I can.Agree with you that it would give peace of mind.I lived through the first 5 years of m life, 1950-1955, avoiding the polio epidemic then and got my shots in 1955.It sure gave my parents peace of mind and hopefully this vaccine today will do the same.Anyhoo, at age 70, I am at the 3/4 turn in the race of life and can see the finish line now, so every day I wake up is gravy,LOL.

Doc,I'm right behind you in that race. Will be 69 this year. Seems the years go by faster the older I get. I hope your wife is responding well to treatment and is not in any pain. I was kind of giving up on the vaccine because of the frustration getting an appt. Figured I'd gone over a year now without any issues, and have had 3 covid tests for various reasons, all negative. Being retired and not having to commute to nyc like I did for 40 yrs. has significantly limited my chances of exposure I think. If interested, here is the number for New York State covid hotline-833-697-4829. They might be able to hook you up with a vaccine site in your area if you are interested in getting one, just press 1 when they ask if you are over 75 because now the age is down to 60 but wasn't updated by them. If I remember correctly, your Mom is 100 yrs. old so you might be around for a good while coming from that gene pool.

GreyBeard
Senior Enthusiast
Senior Enthusiast

Back to top Go down

Post by docstox12 Mon Mar 29, 2021 3:52 pm

GreyBeard wrote:
docstox12 wrote:
GreyBeard wrote:Out of curiosity on my part, I am wondering how many of the "senior" members or any other eligible group have been successful in getting the covid vaccination? Does everyone want it?

I have been checking in with the state website daily and calling their hotline sometimes 3X a day looking for an appointment or cancellation to fill. One agent said he could get me an appointment up in Potsdam NY some 450 miles away. Took a pass on that one lol. All available locations are upstate, still nothing local. There was a small window that opened up back on 3/10 when they lowered the age to 60. I was able to book an appointment, but it was at the end of May, some 2 months away. Low and behold, just after booking that, I got an email from Northwell Health telling me I was eligible to book now. I took the appt. and got the shot 2 days later. It was the Johnson and Johnson vaccine one shot deal. I figured something was better than nothing. I kind of feel like a guinea pig in a way though by just blindly following the herd because this is supposedly what is in our best interests to stay healthy and safe. I mean it was only approved for distribution on 2/27 which was just over a week prior to my shot. I think a lot of people believe that if they get vaccinated then they can go back to the way life used to be.

I read an article which was saying that in a couple of months there will be an overabundance of vaccine, and it will all go to waste because of certain restrictions that are put on its distribution and its shelf life. Anybody want to share your opinion?

Greybeard, my wife, a patient of Sloan Kettering, got her two Pfizer shots a month ago.They offered it to their patients.No ill effects except for a sore shoulder.I have been dragging my feet on this but will try and get mine as soon as I can.Agree with you that it would give peace of mind.I lived through the first 5 years of m life, 1950-1955, avoiding the polio epidemic then and got my shots in 1955.It sure gave my parents peace of mind and hopefully this vaccine today will do the same.Anyhoo, at age 70, I am at the 3/4 turn in the race of life and can see the finish line now, so every day I wake up is gravy,LOL.

Doc,I'm right behind you in that race. Will be 69 this year. Seems the years go by faster the older I get. I hope your wife is responding well to treatment and is not in any pain. I was kind of giving up on the vaccine because of the frustration getting an appt. Figured I'd gone over a year now without any issues, and have had 3 covid tests for various reasons, all negative. Being retired and not having to commute to nyc like I did for 40 yrs. has significantly limited my chances of exposure I think. If interested, here is the number for New York State covid hotline-833-697-4829. They might be able to hook you up with a vaccine site in your area if you are interested in getting one. If I remember correctly, your Mom is 100 yrs. old so you might be around for a good while coming from that gene pool.

Greybeard,
Thanks for the good wishes on my wife.She had a battle with CIS of the bladder, and a great doctor at Sloan has put it into remission with BCG immunotherapy.My Mom made it to 100 because she is an old timey woman from the days where the Mom stayed home.She never had to work so her stress levels were minimal.I don't think I will make it to her age, I am also a patient of Sloan being diagnosed with hopefully a dormant stage of Myeloma.I get the verdict on Wednesday if it's dormant or active and if I have to start therapy.My 25 years involved in my Dental Office exposed me to mercury vapor, plastic and plaster dust, aerosolized viruses and bacteria of all types, and enough stress two kill an elephant,LOL.I am going to ask the Doc on Wednesday if it's ok for me to get the Covid shots with my condition.Anyhoo, even if I have an active case, people go 5 years more with treatment, sometimes 10 or even 20.I retired at age 50 knowing all that crap I went through would get me eventually,lol.
docstox12
docstox12
Wx Statistician Guru
Wx Statistician Guru

Back to top Go down

Post by brownie Mon Mar 29, 2021 4:05 pm

On my last birthday, I qualified for senior tickets at AMC theaters, so that puts me in your group. Wink. I am also a high school teacher and have an underlying condition that makes me eligible as well. I gave up trying to get an appointment through the state of NJ and county megasites, and was ultimately successful getting an appointment at CVS. I go for my second shot tomorrow, and I truly cannot wait.

brownie

Back to top Go down

Post by GreyBeard Mon Mar 29, 2021 4:19 pm

Sending prayers and hope that you get the best prognosis possible on Wednesday. Great news on your wife's remission. I just had a minor skin cancer surgery a few weeks ago called Mohs surgery. They remove tissue layer by layer and examine it under a microscope until it show they removed it all. Have had several minor skin cancers the past few years probably caused by my love of the beach and sun exposure in my younger days. So I know cancer is in my body however minor at this time. You made a smart move retiring at 50, good that you had the foresight to do so. Good luck and keep up a positive attitude.

GreyBeard
Senior Enthusiast
Senior Enthusiast

Back to top Go down

Post by GreyBeard Mon Mar 29, 2021 4:31 pm

brownie wrote:
On my last birthday, I qualified for senior tickets at AMC theaters, so that puts me in your group.  Wink. I am also a high school teacher and have an underlying condition that makes me eligible as well.  I gave up trying to get an appointment through the state of NJ and county megasites, and was ultimately successful getting an appointment at CVS.  I go for my second shot tomorrow, and I truly cannot wait.

Good for you, brownie. I did the same thing but with walgreens. Sat at the computer and kept refreshing the screen and suddenly an available appt. would pop up. Went through the whole procedure of trying to book it and then the screen would say no appointments available. So frustrating I gave up after getting so many false availability notices. Great that you will be fully vaccinated tomorrow, that will give you some peace of mind I'm sure.

GreyBeard
Senior Enthusiast
Senior Enthusiast

Back to top Go down

Post by amugs Mon Mar 29, 2021 4:54 pm

Docstox has the centurion gene. Outlived the polio, Singapore, Hong Kong, Shine, Bird and VID flu's. Immune system is like granite or better yet bedrock.

How about the coldest temp on earth was recorded from a cloud top. The atmosphere layers are slowly sinking and shrinking from what I have read. Very interesting.
[url= [/url]

WINTER 2014-15 : 55.12" +.02 for 6 coatings (avg. 35")
WINTER 2015-16 Total - 29.8" (Avg 35")
WINTER 2016-17 : 39.5" so far
amugs
amugs
Advanced Forecaster - Mod

Back to top Go down

Post by amugs Mon Mar 29, 2021 4:57 pm

amugs
amugs

Back to top Go down

Post by essexcountypete Mon Mar 29, 2021 5:18 pm

dkodgis wrote:Banter Thread 6.0 - Page 11 Eb142310

Just looking at that picture reduces my blood pressure. What a face!!! Congratulations!

And great name! If I had been a girl my mom says that would likely have been my name.
essexcountypete
essexcountypete
Pro Enthusiast
Pro Enthusiast

Back to top Go down

Post by essexcountypete Mon Mar 29, 2021 5:28 pm

Getting my 88 year old mom a vax appointment took me three or four weeks here in (you guessed it) Essex County. I was informed that batches of appointments came available around 7:45-8am each morning, so I just camped out on their website and kept trying. My 50 ish neighbor who is not yet eligible was told that CVS often has extra doses at the end of the day, so she called near the end of the schedule and asked, and they said "come on down".

Sending good health vibes to you! And to Doc and Mrs. Doc. Stay strong!
essexcountypete
essexcountypete
Pro Enthusiast
Pro Enthusiast

GreyBeard likes this post

Back to top Go down

Post by docstox12 Mon Mar 29, 2021 6:48 pm

GreyBeard wrote:Sending prayers and hope that you get the best prognosis possible on Wednesday. Great news on your wife's remission. I just had a minor skin cancer surgery a few weeks ago called Mohs surgery. They remove tissue layer by layer and examine it under a microscope until it show they removed it all. Have had several minor skin cancers the past few years probably caused by my love of the beach and sun exposure in my younger days. So I know cancer is in my body however minor at this time. You made a smart move retiring at 50, good that you had the foresight to do so. Good luck and keep up a positive attitude.

Greybeard, I have had three big chunks cut out of me , pre melanomas ,over the past 20 years.Same reason as you, ran around all summer as a kid burnt to a crisp,LOL.Thanks for the good wishes!
docstox12
docstox12
Wx Statistician Guru
Wx Statistician Guru

Back to top Go down

Post by docstox12 Mon Mar 29, 2021 6:49 pm

essexcountypete wrote:

Getting my 88 year old mom a vax appointment took me three or four weeks here in (you guessed it) Essex County. I was informed that batches of appointments came available around 7:45-8am each morning, so I just camped out on their website and kept trying. My 50 ish neighbor who is not yet eligible was told that CVS often has extra doses at the end of the day, so she called near the end of the schedule and asked, and they said "come on down".

Sending good health vibes to you! And to Doc and Mrs. Doc. Stay strong!

Pete, glad for your Mom, God Bless her and thanks for the good wishes.
docstox12
docstox12
Wx Statistician Guru
Wx Statistician Guru

essexcountypete likes this post

Back to top Go down

Post by jmanley32 Mon Mar 29, 2021 7:26 pm

Got an appt. for my first vaccine on April 21st. Since my family refuses to see any of us until we are vaccinated I cannot wait to get this done. My patrents missed the end of my daughters 6-7 and by time we see them they will have missed year 7. It makes me sad they missed so much of their grandkids. We saw them once briefly outside at their home in CT in July but that was it since Feb 2020. I told my mom get ready for a 10 hr hug to make up for all the ones I haven't had. Told my dad too he is go have soften up cuz his son is gonna give him a big hug lol (my dad was brought up on a farm where men in the family didn't hug etc.
jmanley32
jmanley32
Senior Enthusiast
Senior Enthusiast

Back to top Go down

Post by jmanley32 Mon Mar 29, 2021 7:29 pm

An update since I have not been on in a while Ellie is sick and in the hospital. She had been home and getting treatment chemo once a week but she had to go in unexpectedly, not sure of the update. My daughter is having a very hard time mentally. Any time you bring up Ellie she gets quiet and then shortly after has a rage outburst from nowhere (well I know where it is stemming from). School has suggested brief therapy but I dunno.
jmanley32
jmanley32
Senior Enthusiast
Senior Enthusiast

Back to top Go down

Post by Dunnzoo Mon Mar 29, 2021 10:36 pm

Don't forget gang, just because you're vaccinated, doesn't mean you are free and clear. You still have to be careful for at least 2 weeks after your second dose, and even then take precautions. They don't know yet if you can be a carrier if you have been vaccinated. And the vaccine is not 100% guaranteed, not to mention the variants that are running around. As an EMT, I plead with you all, please don't let your guard down and be safe! I know it's tempting to cut corners, but please don't. My son has been so careful this past year, taking all precautions, yet one day out and he contracted covid last week. Thankfully he just has a few symptoms, like a bad cold, but not everyone is so lucky. ok, I'll step off my soapbox now!  Banter Thread 6.0 - Page 11 1f60f

Snowfall winter of 2023-2024  17.5"    

Snowfall winter of 2022-2023       6.0"
Snowfall winter of 2021-2022     17.6"    1" sleet 2/25/22
Snowfall winter of 2020-2021     51.1"
Snowfall winter of 2019-2020       8.5"
Snowfall winter of 2018-2019     25.1"
Snowfall winter of 2017-2018     51.9"
Snowfall winter of 2016-2017     45.6"
Snowfall winter of 2015-2016     29.5"
Snowfall winter of 2014-2015     50.55"
Snowfall winter of 2013-2014     66.5"
Dunnzoo
Dunnzoo
Senior Enthusiast - Mod
Senior Enthusiast - Mod

brownie likes this post

Back to top Go down

Post by jmanley32 Mon Mar 29, 2021 11:46 pm

Dunnzoo wrote:Don't forget gang, just because you're vaccinated, doesn't mean you are free and clear. You still have to be careful for at least 2 weeks after your second dose, and even then take precautions. They don't know yet if you can be a carrier if you have been vaccinated. And the vaccine is not 100% guaranteed, not to mention the variants that are running around. As an EMT, I plead with you all, please don't let your guard down and be safe! I know it's tempting to cut corners, but please don't. My son has been so careful this past year, taking all precautions, yet one day out and he contracted covid last week. Thankfully he just has a few symptoms, like a bad cold, but not everyone is so lucky. ok, I'll step off my soapbox now!  Banter Thread 6.0 - Page 11 1f60f
you are completely correct, i will continue to wear my mask and wash hands sanitize etc but I do plan to get out to more places as they open up as long as they take precautions that seem acceptable to me. Knock on wood I havent even had a snifle since Feb 2020 when I had a cold. I really think I may wear a mask the rest of my life, it appears to keep you from getting sick because I used to get sick all the time. And honestly other than when im doing something strenuous they do not bother me that much, summer is prolly the hardest time.
jmanley32
jmanley32
Senior Enthusiast
Senior Enthusiast

Back to top Go down

Post by docstox12 Tue Mar 30, 2021 7:36 am

jmanley32 wrote:
Dunnzoo wrote:Don't forget gang, just because you're vaccinated, doesn't mean you are free and clear. You still have to be careful for at least 2 weeks after your second dose, and even then take precautions. They don't know yet if you can be a carrier if you have been vaccinated. And the vaccine is not 100% guaranteed, not to mention the variants that are running around. As an EMT, I plead with you all, please don't let your guard down and be safe! I know it's tempting to cut corners, but please don't. My son has been so careful this past year, taking all precautions, yet one day out and he contracted covid last week. Thankfully he just has a few symptoms, like a bad cold, but not everyone is so lucky. ok, I'll step off my soapbox now!  Banter Thread 6.0 - Page 11 1f60f
you are completely correct, i will continue to wear my mask and wash hands sanitize etc but I do plan to get out to more places as they open up as long as they take precautions that seem acceptable to me. Knock on wood I havent even had a snifle since Feb 2020 when I had a cold. I really think I may wear a mask the rest of my life, it appears to keep you from getting sick because I used to get sick all the time.  And honestly other than when im doing something strenuous they do not bother me that much, summer is prolly the hardest time.

My Mom's town of Fort Lee NJ has a sizable Asian population and some of these folks wore masks in the winter long before Covid.That's something I will be doing myself , wearing a mask from Oct 1 to May 1 outdoors.I have not had a cold for a while now.
Sorry about your son Dunnz, but the youngsters knock this thing out fast being young and strong.My 26 year old Great Niece just came down with it last week.She is quarantined in her room for the required time.Slight fever and slight cough.
docstox12
docstox12
Wx Statistician Guru
Wx Statistician Guru

Back to top Go down

Post by dkodgis Tue Mar 30, 2021 7:52 am

Bless us all and our loved ones. This is the world we live in and it pays to be careful, especially now with Covid. I hope we all learned things so if and when the next big thing happens, we all do better. Seems like a simple thing to wear a mask. I guess that is why it is hard. People seem to run from perspective. Speaking for myself, I think those with fewer days ahead than behind hopefully understand life is fragile, fleeting and the need to cherish it. Anyone may at any age but it is a lesson that can be hard learned. One thinks one has all the time in the world...   I have found life is a window and right now my children are my view.

Of course, this is one of the many reasons I enjoy my perennials popping up- a welcome distraction and largely with no work on my part except for the use of my eyes and occasional sprays of Liquid Fence deer guard which really works. Forsythia coming is the awakening for the season.  People use calendar dates; I use forsythia. Seems like a bit early up here but it's the turn of the page.  I am looking for some flurries in a few days to cap the season.
dkodgis
dkodgis
Senior Enthusiast
Senior Enthusiast

GreyBeard likes this post

Back to top Go down

Post by jimv45 Tue Mar 30, 2021 1:14 pm

Yes that is true Dunnzoo but the latest findings that just came out about the Pfizer and Moderna vaccine is very promising, test that was done in real time here in the USA that show great things, now it's a race against time to get people vaccinated as soon as possible so we can have a better summer and fall!

jimv45
Senior Enthusiast
Senior Enthusiast

brownie likes this post

Back to top Go down

Post by amugs Wed Mar 31, 2021 6:22 pm

Suez Canal has a back up of ships that are weeks long from reports this morning. Goods to be delayed around the world since 30% are said to be on ships passing through.

amugs
amugs

Back to top Go down

Post by amugs Fri Apr 02, 2021 5:57 pm

Banter Thread 6.0 - Page 11 16174010

amugs
amugs

Back to top Go down

Post by jmanley32 Wed Apr 07, 2021 3:27 pm

amugs wrote:Suez Canal has a back up of ships that are weeks long from reports this morning. Goods to be delayed around the world since 30% are said to be on ships passing through.
All is good thank goodness they were able to free her. It could have been another TP shortage and worse a coffee shortage! Hi everyone, been boring so I been busy with other stuff. Garage sale season is starting I am so excited, yes weathermom I know Hazlet is having theres in a few weeks, I will probably head there. Loving the weather, was a great winter in my book, we mostly all say a stellar winter for me I would give it an A compared to previous recent years. I believe I ended with 44 or 45 inches which is well above normal. Onto hurricane season! Did I hear that they are planning to move up the start to May 1st because climate has changed and we now see may storms regularly? How do you all feel about that? Well those into the tropics I mean. I will say goodbye to our winter crew CP, doc Irish etc. for the season. See you guys on the flip side! Here's to hoping next winter we will be vaccinated and have a good handle on this virus and be able to live semi normal lives. I still think we are eyons away from large events, concerts etc. I get my first shot on April 21st and I see my parents on May 1st if all goes well!! We wont have had our second one yet but parents are fully vaccinated and they feel comfortable having visitors. More importantly that their son and daughter I am glad they will see their grandkids, they have missed all of age 7 for my daughter and part of 6. I am not sure if I will be happy or in tears. If you guys remember Ellie my daughters friend with cancer she is getting treatment once a week and has lost her hair. My daughter is still having a hard time but they did get out to the park last week. Ellie has lost a ton of weight and is thin as a rail, she has been okay some days, others she has to go into the hospital for observation, poor girl and family. Pray for her its far from over.
jmanley32
jmanley32
Senior Enthusiast
Senior Enthusiast

Back to top Go down

Post by frank 638 Thu Apr 08, 2021 9:02 am

Does anyone remember the April 6, 1982 blizzard on this day today .I was not born yet

frank 638
Senior Enthusiast
Senior Enthusiast

Back to top Go down

Post by docstox12 Thu Apr 08, 2021 11:35 am

frank 638 wrote:Does anyone remember the April 6, 1982 blizzard on this day today  .I was not born yet

I remember it well.NOAA was saying the rarest of events was about to happen in the NNJ area, an April blizzard.I was working my Dental Office that day and went in at 8 am, but it just got heavier and the roads were piling up with snow.Everybody was cancelling so I bailed out around 11:30 am and got home with about 4 or 5 inches on the roads, already a problem for my 1977 Ford Granada with rear wheel drive.Ended up with around a foot in Mahwah, and it got very cold for the next few days.Only other time I recollect a late season snow was late March 29 or 30, 1970 when 9 inches fell in the Fort Lee Area.
docstox12
docstox12
Wx Statistician Guru
Wx Statistician Guru

Back to top Go down

Post by billg315 Thu Apr 08, 2021 4:32 pm

frank 638 wrote:Does anyone remember the April 6, 1982 blizzard on this day today  .I was not born yet

I remember it, though I was very young so not in great detail. What I remember is my family was supposed to go to the Phillies home opener that evening but it was cancelled as at daybreak Philadelphia had 3.5" on the ground and snow still coming down. I remember walking to school with my sisters (they didn't close schools for snow as easily in those days -- at least in Philadelphia) grumbling about not being able to go to opening night because of snow. I was probably more upset that I had to go to school and couldn't stay home to enjoy the snow. I think it took two days before they could play that game.
billg315
billg315

Back to top Go down

Post by amugs Fri Apr 09, 2021 8:06 am

Yes Frank I do and it was crazy shocking. Hearing a blizzard after a nice warm stretch of early Spring was April Fools joke? But it was not and as Doc said it was a true blizzard with my area in Paterson picking up about 10" and then we had heavy sleet. Old for 3 days after and winter like cold all day and night.

In other news not going to Carribean anytime soon?
https://electroverse.net/la-soufriere-major-volcanic-eruption-imminent-100000-ordered-to-evacuate/

amugs
amugs

Back to top Go down

Post by amugs Fri Apr 09, 2021 12:09 pm

And it goes BOOOOM!!!! Coin Ides nicely with Solar Minimum.

amugs
amugs

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 11 of 30 Previous  1 ... 7 ... 10, 11, 12 ... 20 ... 30  Next