NJ Strong Weather Forum

Join the forum, it's quick and easy

NJ Strong Weather Forum
NJ Strong Weather Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

February 2014 General Observations / Discussions

+33
nutleyblizzard
Scullybutcher
algae888
cooladi
dkodgis
Joe Snow
HeresL
HectorO
sroc4
Dtone
Radz
skinsfan1177
Sparky Sparticles
Math23x7
katcar
Artechmetals
Dunnzoo
Quietace
Snow88
docstox12
SoulSingMG
CPcantmeasuresnow
oldtimer
essexcountypete
sabamfa
amugs
mako460
aiannone
SNOW MAN
tigernumba1
NjWeatherGuy
jmanley32
Frank_Wx
37 posters

Page 5 of 19 Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6 ... 12 ... 19  Next

Go down

February 2014 General Observations / Discussions  - Page 5 Empty Re: February 2014 General Observations / Discussions

Post by amugs Sun Feb 16, 2014 12:31 pm

Guys - Ace and Tom - like I said yesterday - winter fatigue from the snow and cold and let's not to mention sleepless nights tracking. Take a day off and a deep breath go out and enjoy nature's beauty and get ready to reload next week - this week will be a nice break for those of you who are suffering from the "Winter Blues" - I love this SH&* - snow and cold!!

Tom we saw cold like this in 93-94 if not colder!

Ace - March I have a feeling is going to be a lion and spring for you at the shore is going to be colder especially with how cold the SST's are - winds come off the ocean oh boy!!Playing soccer in body suits that the speed skaters would wear!

Listen even Dr. Nye the science guy was on this morning on channel 4 meet the press and discussed how the weather is getting more severe, frequent storms and more severe and the domino affect it is having on our economies and lifestyle to some degree. Channel 4 with David Gregory - talks about the Global Warming - not going there people but interesting.

amugs
Advanced Forecaster - Mod

Back to top Go down

February 2014 General Observations / Discussions  - Page 5 Empty Re: February 2014 General Observations / Discussions

Post by Quietace Sun Feb 16, 2014 12:38 pm

Let's not go their on global warming Mugs, because I don't agree with Bill Nye. But I agree, especially with the MJO going Into a much favorable phase for late feb early March and the telleconmections being more favorable, I also think we get our fair share of systems.

Quietace
Meteorologist - Mod
Meteorologist - Mod

Back to top Go down

Post by NjWeatherGuy Sun Feb 16, 2014 12:48 pm

CPcantmeasuresnow wrote:
NjWeatherGuy wrote:
SNOW MAN wrote:That just sucks ! Come on Nj and Ace you know once you get a little break, you'll be back in the hunt for a new storm to track and be hoping we get a good thump of snow from it.lol! Thanks guys I appreciate your input.

I don't know, since my snowblower broke I'm much less enthusiastic to clean it up, it's been doing a number on my back. I am definitely buying a beast for next season but right now everyone is sold out completely. I would prefer one of those Nor'easters that we haven't seen in a few years, a ton of rain and lots of wind, fun to track, no clean up required. Bad if you live in low lying areas though. I got 10" of rain from this storm, that continues to be my record.

http://www.erh.noaa.gov/phi/storms/04162007.html#graphic

Get serious Tom, with the snowpack we all have right now that would be a disaster.

You're just fatigued from this like I was yesterday morning.  Your enthusiasm will come back, mine already has. Of course I am starting to hear of roof collapses in the HV and that isn't good.

NOT saying for an April, 2007 right now, that would be a disaster. Saying in the future after all the snow has already melted. Of course with a 20" dense snowpack and 10" of rain would be horrific.
NjWeatherGuy
NjWeatherGuy
Advanced Forecaster
Advanced Forecaster

Back to top Go down

Post by CPcantmeasuresnow Sun Feb 16, 2014 12:58 pm

NjWeatherGuy wrote:
CPcantmeasuresnow wrote:
NjWeatherGuy wrote:
SNOW MAN wrote:That just sucks ! Come on Nj and Ace you know once you get a little break, you'll be back in the hunt for a new storm to track and be hoping we get a good thump of snow from it.lol! Thanks guys I appreciate your input.

I don't know, since my snowblower broke I'm much less enthusiastic to clean it up, it's been doing a number on my back. I am definitely buying a beast for next season but right now everyone is sold out completely. I would prefer one of those Nor'easters that we haven't seen in a few years, a ton of rain and lots of wind, fun to track, no clean up required. Bad if you live in low lying areas though. I got 10" of rain from this storm, that continues to be my record.

http://www.erh.noaa.gov/phi/storms/04162007.html#graphic

Get serious Tom, with the snowpack we all have right now that would be a disaster.

You're just fatigued from this like I was yesterday morning.  Your enthusiasm will come back, mine already has. Of course I am starting to hear of roof collapses in the HV and that isn't good.

NOT saying for an April, 2007 right now, that would be a disaster. Saying in the future after all the snow has already melted. Of course with a 20" dense snowpack and 10" of rain would be horrific.

Give me a few storms in March maybe three or four so we can all break our seasonal records and I'll be right with you, hoping for a nice mild gentle melt off in April. I think I'm about as diehard as they come but I can remember a few winters similar to this by the first week in April even I was ready for it to end

Last edited by CPcantmeasuresnow on Sun Feb 16, 2014 1:06 pm; edited 1 time in total
CPcantmeasuresnow
CPcantmeasuresnow
Wx Statistician Guru
Wx Statistician Guru

Back to top Go down

Post by skinsfan1177 Sun Feb 16, 2014 1:00 pm

Let it snow I love it for one reason the money but honestly it gets ridiculous after awhile. I work outside in it and it sucks especially when we had that polarf vortex outbreak. I love the seasons as well Ace. That's whats makes the shore a Great place. I always tell people I love it here. Now back to winter.
skinsfan1177
skinsfan1177
Senior Enthusiast
Senior Enthusiast

Back to top Go down

Post by SNOW MAN Sun Feb 16, 2014 1:35 pm

I've spent a total of 17 and a half hours cleaning up snow from the last 3 storms and you know what I can't wait until we get another one. I guess I'm just a SUPER SNOW WEENIE ! I agree with Mugs I JUST LOVE THIS SH*T.  Very Happy 
SNOW MAN
SNOW MAN
Senior Enthusiast
Senior Enthusiast

Back to top Go down

Post by NjWeatherGuy Sun Feb 16, 2014 1:48 pm

SNOW MAN wrote:I've spent a total of 17 and a half hours cleaning up snow from the last 3 storms and you know what I can't wait until we get another one. I guess I'm just a SUPER SNOW WEENIE ! I agree with Mugs I JUST LOVE THIS SH*T.  Very Happy 

You are a sick man. Haha just kidding but really? Do you have a machine or something? Clearing my driveway and backyard with a shovel gets old VERRRY fast for me, begins to hurt my lower back and then I start getting pissed and cursing in my head.
NjWeatherGuy
NjWeatherGuy
Advanced Forecaster
Advanced Forecaster

Back to top Go down

Post by CPcantmeasuresnow Sun Feb 16, 2014 2:03 pm

SNOW MAN wrote:I've spent a total of 17 and a half hours cleaning up snow from the last 3 storms and you know what I can't wait until we get another one. I guess I'm just a SUPER SNOW WEENIE ! I agree with Mugs I JUST LOVE THIS SH*T.  Very Happy 

You're a sick man snow man, and most of us here are just as sick myself included.
CPcantmeasuresnow
CPcantmeasuresnow
Wx Statistician Guru
Wx Statistician Guru

Back to top Go down

Post by amugs Sun Feb 16, 2014 2:25 pm

Quietace wrote:Let's not go their on global warming Mugs, because I don't agree with Bill Nye. But I agree, especially with the MJO going Into a much favorable phase for late feb early March and the telleconmections being more favorable, I also think we get our fair share of systems.

Ace, I am not with Bill Nye just brought up the point that is all - if anyone is interested there is a great book on the earth's climate with a lot of data and research that I am/have been reading when I get the time - By Claire Parkisnon called Coming Climate - Crisis? Very, very interesting factual scientific data from the research about our past and where we are at in the cycle of this beautiful planet we call "earth". Debunks the media and hyped up version of 'GW" and tells it in a more weather, naturalist and scientific researched manner if this makes sense.

WINTER 2014-15 : 55.12" +.02 for 6 coatings (avg. 35")
WINTER 2015-16 Total - 29.8" (Avg 35")
WINTER 2016-17 : 39.5" so far
amugs
amugs

Back to top Go down

Post by SNOW MAN Sun Feb 16, 2014 8:13 pm

NjWeatherGuy wrote:

You are a sick man. Haha just kidding but really? Do you have a machine or something? Clearing my driveway and backyard with a shovel gets old VERRRY fast for me, begins to hurt my lower back and then I start getting pissed and cursing in my head.

Yes Nj I do have a machine, but I have to do a lot of hand shoveling, I would say it's probably 75% hand shoveling and 25% snow blowing. I have to clear around 7 cars, 6 in my driveway and 1 in my neighbors driveway. Than I have hand shovel paths to my 3 sheds, oil tank and bird feeders. Plus I do my neighbors driveway because her husband died of cancer a while back and she's in her 60's. And here's the capper I have stenosis of the spine, 2 herniated disks and arthritis of the back. I call It the trifecta of back problems. But I still love this cold and snowy weather. My wife and my mom think I'm nuts. Who knows they could be right. bounce
SNOW MAN
SNOW MAN
Senior Enthusiast
Senior Enthusiast

Back to top Go down

Post by NjWeatherGuy Sun Feb 16, 2014 8:42 pm

Saw this picture today, I think some of us really unappreciated the 2/13 storm. It was one of the most widespread storm I've seen in years in terms of the east coast, most of us saw very healthy totals 10-20" in most of the area, but this wasn't really THAT special in this area considering several storms in the past winter seasons '09-'10 and '10-'11 and others have put these totals in this area. However when looking at it from a wider point of view several of these storms affected only small areas. Go over some of these storms on the NESIS scale, rates storms based on snow amounts and widespread areas affected, including population, it is a complex formula.

http://www.ncdc.noaa.gov/snow-and-ice/rsi/nesis

Here is a snow map from the 2/13 storm.

February 2014 General Observations / Discussions  - Page 5 597ea310

It's definitely going to end up in the top 3 when they go over it IMO.
NjWeatherGuy
NjWeatherGuy
Advanced Forecaster
Advanced Forecaster

Back to top Go down

Post by docstox12 Sun Feb 16, 2014 8:48 pm

Snow, I'm thinking with a week of 40's and 50's, some rain and higher sun, we will lose at least half of the snowpack.Quite frankly,I'm OK with that.Running out of room to put any new snow.

March will bring us more snow especially with this snowy pattern we have had this winter.
docstox12
docstox12
Wx Statistician Guru
Wx Statistician Guru

Back to top Go down

Post by docstox12 Sun Feb 16, 2014 9:02 pm

NjWeatherGuy wrote:

I'm sure my neighbors heard me cursing out loud shoveling the slop storm from a week and a half ago and phase two from a few days ago.

Too old, achy and cranky to just keep it in my head these days.LOL, guess they'll be happy I'll be moving to the HV in the fall.We have a guy up here in the HVthat plows the long driveway (God Bless him) and I have a small snowblower for the short walkway in front.This is the last winter I'll be busting my b__s shoveling slop and snow in Mahwah!

Still, it was all worth it to enjoy a classic winter like this one.And as Yogi said "it ain't over til it's over!",Just got a feeling with this pattern all winter, a big snowstorm will blow up in March.I think NYC CP needs 7.6 inches to get this year into second place overall.That, I think, is a lock!
docstox12
docstox12
Wx Statistician Guru
Wx Statistician Guru

Back to top Go down

Post by amugs Sun Feb 16, 2014 9:25 pm

Guys out in Hawthorne NJ tonight went to see the Lego movie with the family then out to dinner in Pearl river, NY and guess what - it was snowing - ha the old snow snakes in the streets and wind whipping down the streets - fn frigid oout tonight with the winds!!!

amugs
amugs

Back to top Go down

Post by Dunnzoo Sun Feb 16, 2014 9:37 pm

amugs wrote:Guys out in Hawthorne NJ tonight went to see the Lego movie with the family then out to dinner in Pearl river, NY and guess what - it was snowing - ha the old snow snakes in the streets and wind whipping down the streets - fn frigid oout tonight with the winds!!!

haha didn't you check the weather before you went out????? lol

Snowfall winter of 2023-2024  17.5"    

Snowfall winter of 2022-2023       6.0"
Snowfall winter of 2021-2022     17.6"    1" sleet 2/25/22
Snowfall winter of 2020-2021     51.1"
Snowfall winter of 2019-2020       8.5"
Snowfall winter of 2018-2019     25.1"
Snowfall winter of 2017-2018     51.9"
Snowfall winter of 2016-2017     45.6"
Snowfall winter of 2015-2016     29.5"
Snowfall winter of 2014-2015     50.55"
Snowfall winter of 2013-2014     66.5"
Dunnzoo
Dunnzoo
Senior Enthusiast - Mod
Senior Enthusiast - Mod

Back to top Go down

Post by CPcantmeasuresnow Sun Feb 16, 2014 10:05 pm

0.4 inches tonight it all counts. Adding it to my totals.
CPcantmeasuresnow
CPcantmeasuresnow
Wx Statistician Guru
Wx Statistician Guru

Back to top Go down

Post by docstox12 Mon Feb 17, 2014 6:59 am

CPcantmeasuresnow wrote:0.4 inches tonight it all counts. Adding it to my totals.

Yep, saw it this morning leaving Monroe.

docstox12
docstox12
Wx Statistician Guru
Wx Statistician Guru

Back to top Go down

Post by SNOW MAN Mon Feb 17, 2014 7:28 am

6* and clear skies with a N/NW wind gusting up to 10mph.
SNOW MAN
SNOW MAN
Senior Enthusiast
Senior Enthusiast

Back to top Go down

Post by Radz Mon Feb 17, 2014 7:42 am

11* brrrrr
Radz
Radz
Pro Enthusiast
Pro Enthusiast

Back to top Go down

Post by amugs Mon Feb 17, 2014 9:15 am

The winter that just keeps on giving 20 years later - a rewind folks of 93-94 as mets wrote up in another thread. This snow pack is a glacier and we know how long it takes to break/ melt that down.

18* here

amugs
amugs

Back to top Go down

Post by Dtone Mon Feb 17, 2014 5:47 pm

I saw the city removing snow from the streets by the truckload. I haven't seen that outside of Manhattan since 96. Historical stamp of approval

Dtone
Wx Statistician Guru
Wx Statistician Guru

Back to top Go down

Post by Radz Mon Feb 17, 2014 6:28 pm

amugs wrote:The winter that just keeps on giving 20 years later - a rewind folks of 93-94 as mets wrote up in another thread. This snow pack is a glacier and we know how long it takes to break/ melt that down.

18* here

Spent the day raking roofs and clearing ice dams… talk about glaciers! This week did many roofs in… out again tomorrow in the snow doing the same, and then finally we get some melting. Calcium chloride no where to be found...
Radz
Radz
Pro Enthusiast
Pro Enthusiast

Back to top Go down

Post by skinsfan1177 Tue Feb 18, 2014 5:09 am

light snow here for past hour street have a coating already lots of school delays in area
skinsfan1177
skinsfan1177
Senior Enthusiast
Senior Enthusiast

Back to top Go down

Post by Sparky Sparticles Tue Feb 18, 2014 5:51 am

Radz wrote:Spent the day raking roofs and clearing ice dams… talk about glaciers!

All day long we kept yelling out "AVALANCHE!!" as we heard another crash in the alley way between houses. Our landlord started hanging out the uppermost window with a rake, trying to get the icicles to fall faster, but those buggers didn't want to move, at least not until he closed the window and walked away. Kept things interesting for a few hours.

But there are still a lot of iced up gutters around here, with 2 houses we can see from our apartment losing bits of them to the weight of the ice, and a few more have icicles popping out under shingles and siding panels. Siding, roofers and gutter guys are going to have a busy spring around here this year.
Sparky Sparticles
Sparky Sparticles

Back to top Go down

Post by docstox12 Tue Feb 18, 2014 8:10 am

My gutters are six inches of solid ice with two foot icicles hanging from .If we get heavy rain, the water will backflow into the house.Hoping for a slow melt with little rain.
docstox12
docstox12
Wx Statistician Guru
Wx Statistician Guru

Back to top Go down

Post by Radz Tue Feb 18, 2014 8:16 am

Lots of people have sustained interior water damage from the ice dams already… another comparison to '94-'95 last time i remember such an influx of calls for "help" about such issues… brutal for many
Radz
Radz
Pro Enthusiast
Pro Enthusiast

Back to top Go down

Post by docstox12 Tue Feb 18, 2014 8:18 am

Glad I had a new roof installed last year over my old one.I bet with this crazy set up, I'll still get seepage.

Spacklers and painters will be cashing in if people can't repair the interior damage themselves.
docstox12
docstox12
Wx Statistician Guru
Wx Statistician Guru

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 5 of 19 Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6 ... 12 ... 19  Next

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum