NJ Strong Weather Forum


Join the forum, it's quick and easy

NJ Strong Weather Forum
NJ Strong Weather Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

August 2014 Observations / Discussions Thread

+18
Angela0621
docstox12
HectorO
Noreaster
snowday111
bloc1357
nofoboater
LBC1985
devsman
jimv45
nutleyblizzard
jmanley32
algae888
Dtone
amugs
Quietace
Dunnzoo
Frank_Wx
22 posters

Page 4 of 7 Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next

Go down

August 2014 Observations / Discussions Thread - Page 4 Empty Re: August 2014 Observations / Discussions Thread

Post by jimv45 Wed Aug 13, 2014 2:43 pm

didn't get much up in Hopewell jct!! But just think if that was snow boy that would be just insane.

jimv45
Pro Enthusiast
Pro Enthusiast

Posts : 1142
Reputation : 36
Join date : 2013-09-20
Location : Ulster county ny

Back to top Go down

August 2014 Observations / Discussions Thread - Page 4 Empty Re: August 2014 Observations / Discussions Thread

Post by bloc1357 Wed Aug 13, 2014 3:22 pm

Live in North/West babylon here, a few miles east of the Nassau/Suffolk county border....was absolutely insane. Had some water in my house, and the roads were horrendous this morning. Final total in my area, I guess they said around 10"+. Crazy!!!!

bloc1357

Posts : 311
Reputation : 10
Join date : 2013-03-05
Age : 44
Location : West Babylon, NY - 11704

Back to top Go down

August 2014 Observations / Discussions Thread - Page 4 Empty Re: August 2014 Observations / Discussions Thread

Post by snowday111 Wed Aug 13, 2014 4:53 pm

Does anyone have any info on the riptide warnings for Ocean and Monmouth Counties? I saw that they are at high for today. Last week they were high midweek due to Hurricane Bertha. Does anyone know why this week or if they will subside overnight? Hoping to go to the beach tomorrow with the kids.

snowday111

Posts : 84
Reputation : 1
Join date : 2013-01-07
Location : Monroe Twp. NJ (Middlesex County)

Back to top Go down

August 2014 Observations / Discussions Thread - Page 4 Empty Re: August 2014 Observations / Discussions Thread

Post by Frank_Wx Wed Aug 13, 2014 5:05 pm

@snowday111 wrote:Does anyone have any info on the riptide warnings for Ocean and Monmouth Counties? I saw that they are at high for today. Last week they were high midweek due to Hurricane Bertha. Does anyone know why this week or if they will subside overnight? Hoping to go to the beach tomorrow with the kids.

Here is a link. Check out the left hand side

http://www.swellinfo.com/surf-forecast/monmouth-new-jersey

_________________
_______________________________________________________________________________________________________

CLICK HERE to view NJ Strong Snowstorm Classifications
Frank_Wx
Frank_Wx
Godzilla Seeker
Godzilla Seeker

Posts : 20074
Reputation : 313
Join date : 2013-01-05
Age : 29
Location : Jersey City, NJ

http://njstrongweather.blogspot.com/

Back to top Go down

August 2014 Observations / Discussions Thread - Page 4 Empty Re: August 2014 Observations / Discussions Thread

Post by Dtone Wed Aug 13, 2014 6:07 pm

Cleared out for a warm sunny mid afternoon now heavy rain/wind is back out of nowhere

Dtone
Wx Statistician Guru
Wx Statistician Guru

Posts : 1738
Reputation : 9
Join date : 2013-08-26
Location : Bronx, NY

Back to top Go down

August 2014 Observations / Discussions Thread - Page 4 Empty Re: August 2014 Observations / Discussions Thread

Post by Dtone Wed Aug 13, 2014 6:10 pm

Seem like there has been coastal flood advisories for days now from the Chesapeake to the LI Sound. The super moon must add to it too.

Dtone
Wx Statistician Guru
Wx Statistician Guru

Posts : 1738
Reputation : 9
Join date : 2013-08-26
Location : Bronx, NY

Back to top Go down

August 2014 Observations / Discussions Thread - Page 4 Empty Re: August 2014 Observations / Discussions Thread

Post by Dunnzoo Wed Aug 13, 2014 8:10 pm

ended with a total of .88" from last night and a quick downpour early this evening.....beautiful out now!

_________________
Janet

Snowfall winter of 2020-2021  51.1"

Snowfall winter of 2019-2020         8.5"
Snowfall winter of 2018-2019     25.1"
Snowfall winter of 2017-2018     51.9"
Snowfall winter of 2016-2017     45.6"
Snowfall winter of 2015-2016     29.5"
Snowfall winter of 2014-2015     50.55"
Snowfall winter of 2013-2014     66.5"
Dunnzoo
Dunnzoo
Senior Enthusiast - Mod
Senior Enthusiast - Mod

Posts : 4404
Reputation : 67
Join date : 2013-01-11
Age : 59
Location : Westwood, NJ

Back to top Go down

August 2014 Observations / Discussions Thread - Page 4 Empty Re: August 2014 Observations / Discussions Thread

Post by snowday111 Wed Aug 13, 2014 8:27 pm

Thanks Frank Very Happy 

snowday111

Posts : 84
Reputation : 1
Join date : 2013-01-07
Location : Monroe Twp. NJ (Middlesex County)

Back to top Go down

August 2014 Observations / Discussions Thread - Page 4 Empty Re: August 2014 Observations / Discussions Thread

Post by Noreaster Wed Aug 13, 2014 10:17 pm

Today was insane in my area.  i think this was a 1 in 500 or 1 in 1000 year event for Islip.

Using Islip as a reference point look at pages 28, 35, and 56.   100 year 2 hr rainfall, 100 year 3 hr rainfall and 100 year 24 hr rainfall.

http://www.nws.noaa.gov/oh/hdsc/PF_documents/TechnicalPaper_No40.pdf

Also here's this chart from NJ

http://www.nrcs.usda.gov/Internet/FSE_DOCUMENTS/nrcs141p2_018235.pdf
Noreaster
Noreaster

Posts : 463
Reputation : 5
Join date : 2013-01-08
Age : 38
Location : Merrick, NY

Back to top Go down

August 2014 Observations / Discussions Thread - Page 4 Empty Re: August 2014 Observations / Discussions Thread

Post by jmanley32 Wed Aug 13, 2014 10:33 pm

Is it just me or does anyone else feel that this cooler weather, big events like today and a el nino forming that we may have some super big nor easters in the fall and winter? I am already getting excited for the season, which isn't too far off. This probably should gone in long range thread but just thought i'd say. I also do not think the tropics are dead, maybe for now but they may surprise in September-end of October. Or not, only mother nature knows.
jmanley32
jmanley32
Senior Enthusiast
Senior Enthusiast

Posts : 18385
Reputation : 105
Join date : 2013-12-12
Age : 40
Location : Yonkers, NY

Back to top Go down

August 2014 Observations / Discussions Thread - Page 4 Empty Re: August 2014 Observations / Discussions Thread

Post by amugs Thu Aug 14, 2014 9:14 am

60* and gorgeous outside today and for the next few days - 70's low humidity and 50's at night up here in NNJ!!

_________________
Mugs 
AKA:King: Snow Weenie
Self Proclaimed
WINTER 2014-15 : 55.12" +.02 for 6 coatings (avg. 35")
WINTER 2015-16 Total - 29.8" (Avg 35")
WINTER 2016-17 : 39.5" so far
amugs
amugs
Advanced Forecaster - Mod
Advanced Forecaster - Mod

Posts : 12440
Reputation : 211
Join date : 2013-01-07
Age : 51
Location : Hillsdale,NJ

Back to top Go down

August 2014 Observations / Discussions Thread - Page 4 Empty Re: August 2014 Observations / Discussions Thread

Post by jmanley32 Thu Aug 14, 2014 9:36 am

Same here mugs, woke to 65 degrees reading on my car out of sun and it still runs high. Looking forward to meeting you and everyone else next weekend. Looks like Euro has a ugly senario around 156 hrs, yes far out but 3-5 more inches of rain, here we can do with but LI and souther jersey errrr...BTW did that rouge storm that came across westchester and blew up onver LI add to the totals from yesterday morning? If so what was the official record breaking total. I still cannot get over how much rain fell there, that must have been quite a site, normally rain isn't exciting at all but damn that must have been crazy (not in a good way).

August 2014 Observations / Discussions Thread - Page 4 Euro_112

jmanley32
jmanley32
Senior Enthusiast
Senior Enthusiast

Posts : 18385
Reputation : 105
Join date : 2013-12-12
Age : 40
Location : Yonkers, NY

Back to top Go down

August 2014 Observations / Discussions Thread - Page 4 Empty Re: August 2014 Observations / Discussions Thread

Post by jmanley32 Thu Aug 14, 2014 9:38 am

BTW I do not recall ever seeing so many low pressures coming across the US into the area like they have been this year, is this a sign of things to come?  Is it possible we could get 13 inches of rain/snow equivilent, 11-12 feet of snow would be crazy. What would we call that that would have to be wayyy higher than a frankroidzilla lol.
jmanley32
jmanley32
Senior Enthusiast
Senior Enthusiast

Posts : 18385
Reputation : 105
Join date : 2013-12-12
Age : 40
Location : Yonkers, NY

Back to top Go down

August 2014 Observations / Discussions Thread - Page 4 Empty Re: August 2014 Observations / Discussions Thread

Post by nutleyblizzard Thu Aug 14, 2014 11:48 am

@jmanley32 wrote:BTW I do not recall ever seeing so many low pressures coming across the US into the area like they have been this year, is this a sign of things to come?  Is it possible we could get 13 inches of rain/snow equivilent, 11-12 feet of snow would be crazy. What would we call that that would have to be wayyy higher than a frankroidzilla lol.
I remember while on a weather site years ago that the colder atmosphere in the winter cannot hold as much moisture than in the summer time when there is heat and humidity present.
nutleyblizzard
nutleyblizzard
Senior Enthusiast
Senior Enthusiast

Posts : 1733
Reputation : 41
Join date : 2014-01-30
Age : 55
Location : Nutley, new jersey

Back to top Go down

August 2014 Observations / Discussions Thread - Page 4 Empty Re: August 2014 Observations / Discussions Thread

Post by Frank_Wx Thu Aug 14, 2014 11:50 am

@nutleyblizzard wrote:
@jmanley32 wrote:BTW I do not recall ever seeing so many low pressures coming across the US into the area like they have been this year, is this a sign of things to come?  Is it possible we could get 13 inches of rain/snow equivilent, 11-12 feet of snow would be crazy. What would we call that that would have to be wayyy higher than a frankroidzilla lol.
 I remember while on a weather site years ago that the colder atmosphere in the winter cannot hold as much moisture than in the summer time when there is heat and humidity present.

This is true. Not much convection in the winter time. We do see some cases of thunder snow, but it does not last as long as the summertime storms.

_________________
_______________________________________________________________________________________________________

CLICK HERE to view NJ Strong Snowstorm Classifications
Frank_Wx
Frank_Wx
Godzilla Seeker
Godzilla Seeker

Posts : 20074
Reputation : 313
Join date : 2013-01-05
Age : 29
Location : Jersey City, NJ

http://njstrongweather.blogspot.com/

Back to top Go down

August 2014 Observations / Discussions Thread - Page 4 Empty Re: August 2014 Observations / Discussions Thread

Post by nutleyblizzard Thu Aug 14, 2014 12:01 pm

@Frank_Wx wrote:
@nutleyblizzard wrote:
@jmanley32 wrote:BTW I do not recall ever seeing so many low pressures coming across the US into the area like they have been this year, is this a sign of things to come?  Is it possible we could get 13 inches of rain/snow equivilent, 11-12 feet of snow would be crazy. What would we call that that would have to be wayyy higher than a frankroidzilla lol.
 I remember while on a weather site years ago that the colder atmosphere in the winter cannot hold as much moisture than in the summer time when there is heat and humidity present.

This is true. Not much convection in the winter time. We do see some cases of thunder snow, but it does not last as long as the summertime storms.
Frank, I believe the only way we can get a prolific snowfall event in our area, (more than 3 feet), is for a strong low pressure that ends up stalling out at the benchmark with an intense high to the north giving us very high snowfall ratios. With all the increasing extreme weather events occurring on our planet, its not that all outlandish to happen.
nutleyblizzard
nutleyblizzard
Senior Enthusiast
Senior Enthusiast

Posts : 1733
Reputation : 41
Join date : 2014-01-30
Age : 55
Location : Nutley, new jersey

Back to top Go down

August 2014 Observations / Discussions Thread - Page 4 Empty Re: August 2014 Observations / Discussions Thread

Post by HectorO Fri Aug 15, 2014 2:52 pm

Gorgeous out today. Been so busy this summer haven't been on here at all. Working a lot, wish I was having fun. I haven't even been down the shore. But I was challenged for the ice bucket challenge. Too bad it wasn't warmer for it.
HectorO
HectorO
Pro Enthusiast
Pro Enthusiast

Posts : 917
Reputation : 27
Join date : 2013-01-11

Back to top Go down

August 2014 Observations / Discussions Thread - Page 4 Empty Re: August 2014 Observations / Discussions Thread

Post by Dtone Fri Aug 15, 2014 3:19 pm

It's kinda remarkable to keep temps in the low 70s all day despite sunshine.  I would think it would take rain cooled air to have temps struggle to 70 in Aug... First half at that.

Dtone
Wx Statistician Guru
Wx Statistician Guru

Posts : 1738
Reputation : 9
Join date : 2013-08-26
Location : Bronx, NY

Back to top Go down

August 2014 Observations / Discussions Thread - Page 4 Empty Re: August 2014 Observations / Discussions Thread

Post by amugs Sat Aug 16, 2014 9:32 am

My NJ Strong Family - up here in Franklin, NY - upstate NY so to speak - 20 miles NE of Roscoe.

Last two night 47* and yesterday high was 61* with overcast skies all day - felt like October!!!

Summer is over up here  😢  - people actually starting to gear up for winter - ordering their cords of wood - splitting wood and piling up the winter stockpiles of food and heating fuel. Old Salt's up here are saying a cold and snowy winter is coming - from their lips to god's ears - I asked them both how they knew - they said look at nature - look at the land and the animals. I did and ............................ We shall see!!!

_________________
Mugs 
AKA:King: Snow Weenie
Self Proclaimed
WINTER 2014-15 : 55.12" +.02 for 6 coatings (avg. 35")
WINTER 2015-16 Total - 29.8" (Avg 35")
WINTER 2016-17 : 39.5" so far
amugs
amugs
Advanced Forecaster - Mod
Advanced Forecaster - Mod

Posts : 12440
Reputation : 211
Join date : 2013-01-07
Age : 51
Location : Hillsdale,NJ

Back to top Go down

August 2014 Observations / Discussions Thread - Page 4 Empty Re: August 2014 Observations / Discussions Thread

Post by docstox12 Sat Aug 16, 2014 9:51 am

Hey, Mugsy, my cousin lives in Bovina near where you are.You are in God's country up there, I love it!

In the 50's this morning, actually had to put a sweater on in the house.Incredibly cool weather, this is late September type.

Drove up to Monroe NY Thursday and noticed early Maples trees already changing leaf colors.That, plus the cool definitely puts one in a Fall mood.

Now watch us get two weeks of high 80's with humidity in September,LOL!
docstox12
docstox12
Wx Statistician Guru
Wx Statistician Guru

Posts : 7254
Reputation : 215
Join date : 2013-01-07
Age : 70
Location : Monroe NY

Back to top Go down

August 2014 Observations / Discussions Thread - Page 4 Empty Re: August 2014 Observations / Discussions Thread

Post by jimv45 Sat Aug 16, 2014 10:16 am

we will see the heat return end of August! looks like its a 2 day event where some places will see 90s. looks like September will be around normal to slightly above! ENJOY.

jimv45
Pro Enthusiast
Pro Enthusiast

Posts : 1142
Reputation : 36
Join date : 2013-09-20
Location : Ulster county ny

Back to top Go down

August 2014 Observations / Discussions Thread - Page 4 Empty Re: August 2014 Observations / Discussions Thread

Post by docstox12 Sat Aug 16, 2014 12:23 pm

@jimv45 wrote:we will see the heat return end of August!  looks like its a 2 day event where some places will see 90s. looks like September will be around normal to slightly above!  ENJOY.

If it happens, great.I love that obligatory one week heat wave, doesn't seem like a summer without it.

May have mentioned earlier that someone on Channel 7 Weather said this is a "normal" summer temp wise as compared to the last four which were above normal in that department.To me, this summer seems a LOT cooler than normal.
docstox12
docstox12
Wx Statistician Guru
Wx Statistician Guru

Posts : 7254
Reputation : 215
Join date : 2013-01-07
Age : 70
Location : Monroe NY

Back to top Go down

August 2014 Observations / Discussions Thread - Page 4 Empty Re: August 2014 Observations / Discussions Thread

Post by Frank_Wx Sat Aug 16, 2014 12:45 pm

@docstox12 wrote:
@jimv45 wrote:we will see the heat return end of August!  looks like its a 2 day event where some places will see 90s. looks like September will be around normal to slightly above!  ENJOY.

If it happens, great.I love that obligatory one week heat wave, doesn't seem like a summer without it.

May have mentioned earlier that someone on Channel 7 Weather said this is a "normal" summer temp wise as compared to the last four which were above normal in that department.To me, this summer seems a LOT cooler than normal.

It seems cooler than normal because we have been so use to heat waves and above normal summers. This has been the best summer in a long time. Thank The Lord.

_________________
_______________________________________________________________________________________________________

CLICK HERE to view NJ Strong Snowstorm Classifications
Frank_Wx
Frank_Wx
Godzilla Seeker
Godzilla Seeker

Posts : 20074
Reputation : 313
Join date : 2013-01-05
Age : 29
Location : Jersey City, NJ

http://njstrongweather.blogspot.com/

Back to top Go down

August 2014 Observations / Discussions Thread - Page 4 Empty Re: August 2014 Observations / Discussions Thread

Post by Quietace Sun Aug 17, 2014 9:37 am

Some showers around the area. Nothing to heavy
August 2014 Observations / Discussions Thread - Page 4 Dix_n011

_________________
Ryan
Ph.D  Candidate at FSU
M.S. in Meteorology from FSU
B.S. in Meteorology from Plymouth State University
Quietace
Quietace
Meteorologist - Mod
Meteorologist - Mod

Posts : 3615
Reputation : 32
Join date : 2013-01-07
Age : 24
Location : Tallahassee, FL

Back to top Go down

August 2014 Observations / Discussions Thread - Page 4 Empty Re: August 2014 Observations / Discussions Thread

Post by amugs Sun Aug 17, 2014 10:45 am

@docstox12 wrote:Hey, Mugsy, my cousin lives in Bovina near where you are.You are in God's country up there, I love it!

In the 50's this morning, actually had to put a sweater on in the house.Incredibly cool weather, this is late September type.

Drove up to Monroe NY Thursday and noticed early Maples trees already changing leaf colors.That, plus the cool definitely puts one in a Fall mood.

Now watch us get two weeks of high 80's with humidity in September,LOL!

Doc,

Yes that is right up there and it is only 100 miles from here - as we were driving home yesterday I said to my wife and kids - is it me or are the trees starting to change already - WTF!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Incredible like you said - highs this past week up there were in the 60's - hit 71 one day this week and the rest of the days were in the low to mid 60's - felt like late Sept early Oct and Doc you are right - just in time for school so we can sweat our balls off for a few days with a mini heat wave - if this is June we get pumped for this weather not in September.

Mugs

_________________
Mugs 
AKA:King: Snow Weenie
Self Proclaimed
WINTER 2014-15 : 55.12" +.02 for 6 coatings (avg. 35")
WINTER 2015-16 Total - 29.8" (Avg 35")
WINTER 2016-17 : 39.5" so far
amugs
amugs
Advanced Forecaster - Mod
Advanced Forecaster - Mod

Posts : 12440
Reputation : 211
Join date : 2013-01-07
Age : 51
Location : Hillsdale,NJ

Back to top Go down

August 2014 Observations / Discussions Thread - Page 4 Empty Re: August 2014 Observations / Discussions Thread

Post by Sponsored content


Sponsored content


Back to top Go down

Page 4 of 7 Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next

Back to top


 
Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum