NJ Strong Weather Forum

Join the forum, it's quick and easy

NJ Strong Weather Forum
NJ Strong Weather Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Winter Outlook

+11
blizzard93
SNOW MAN
Garrus
mako460
jmanley32
skinsfan1177
Frank_Wx
gigs68
docstox12
algae888
amugs
15 posters

Page 1 of 4 1, 2, 3, 4  Next

Go down

Winter Outlook Empty Winter Outlook

Post by amugs Fri Sep 05, 2014 11:39 pm

One of the more detailed ones so far I have read but it is quite far in advance but worth the read IMO

http://torontowxcenter.blogspot.ca/p/preliminary-winter-2013-15-outlook.html

Updated - sorry about that folks.

A very interesting in depth write up like I said. I personally learned a bit from this write up.

Last edited by amugs on Sat Sep 06, 2014 2:37 pm; edited 1 time in total

WINTER 2014-15 : 55.12" +.02 for 6 coatings (avg. 35")
WINTER 2015-16 Total - 29.8" (Avg 35")
WINTER 2016-17 : 39.5" so far
amugs
amugs
Advanced Forecaster - Mod

Back to top Go down

Winter Outlook Empty Re: Winter Outlook

Post by algae888 Sat Sep 06, 2014 7:34 am

mugs I wasn't able to open link.
algae888
algae888
Advanced Forecaster
Advanced Forecaster

Back to top Go down

Post by docstox12 Sat Sep 06, 2014 12:31 pm

mugs, no luck on link.

docstox12
docstox12
Wx Statistician Guru
Wx Statistician Guru

Back to top Go down

Post by amugs Sat Sep 06, 2014 2:39 pm

docstox12 wrote:mugs, no luck on link.

Al and Doc - I just updated the link on my original post. Enjoy and let me know what you think - heck I know it is 84 days until meteorological winter but interesting read.

amugs
amugs

Back to top Go down

Post by gigs68 Tue Sep 09, 2014 11:29 am

Came across this link in another board. Guess I better start stocking up on milk and bread.

http://empirenews.net/meteorologists-predict-record-shattering-snowfalls-coming-soon-bread-milk-prices-expected-to-soar/
gigs68
gigs68

Back to top Go down

Post by Frank_Wx Tue Sep 09, 2014 11:34 am

gigs68 wrote:Came across this link in another board.  Guess I better start stocking up on milk and bread.

http://empirenews.net/meteorologists-predict-record-shattering-snowfalls-coming-soon-bread-milk-prices-expected-to-soar/

The person who created that graphic runs a satire blog. Pay no attention to these types of blogs who are run by in-reputable people. Honestly, the only "true" winter outlook I have seen so far has been by the Farmers Almanac. Many legit outlooks wont be here until the end of October into November. We are still trying to monitor the ENSO

CLICK HERE to view NJ Strong Snowstorm Classifications
Frank_Wx
Frank_Wx
Godzilla Seeker
Godzilla Seeker

http://njstrongweather.blogspot.com/

Back to top Go down

Post by algae888 Tue Sep 09, 2014 12:07 pm

gigs68 wrote:Came across this link in another board.  Guess I better start stocking up on milk and bread.

this guy must be related to Joe Bastardi. the older I get the less tolerate I am of these people. well educated mets have a hard time predicting the weather a week out an this guy is telling us (matter of factly) what's going to happen in three-four months. surprised AP recognized him. I can't take extremist!!!
algae888
algae888
Advanced Forecaster
Advanced Forecaster

Back to top Go down

Post by Frank_Wx Wed Sep 10, 2014 11:16 am

Check out this post from EPAWA, I always found this interesting. Anyone notice any of these yet?

http://epawaweather.com/2014/09/the-true-winter-prognosticator-nature/

Frank_Wx
Frank_Wx
Godzilla Seeker
Godzilla Seeker

Back to top Go down

Post by skinsfan1177 Thu Sep 11, 2014 5:14 am

The only thing I have noticed here is that acorns have been falling down for weeks now
skinsfan1177
skinsfan1177
Senior Enthusiast
Senior Enthusiast

Back to top Go down

Post by docstox12 Thu Sep 11, 2014 6:33 am

Frank_Wx wrote:

The person who created that graphic runs a satire blog. Pay no attention to these types of blogs who are run by in-reputable people. Honestly, the only "true" winter outlook I have seen so far has been by the Farmers Almanac. Many legit outlooks wont be here until the end of October into November. We are still trying to monitor the ENSO

That blog must be viral because I have heard people saying this will be a lot worse than last winter, snow in Septmber blah, blah, blah.Way to early to tell yet.Mugsy's post goes into the great technical detail and I don't think we will have a clue until the beginning of December.Even then, the predicted patterns sometimes fail to develop.
docstox12
docstox12
Wx Statistician Guru
Wx Statistician Guru

Back to top Go down

Post by amugs Thu Sep 11, 2014 10:17 pm

Frank_Wx wrote:Check out this post from EPAWA, I always found this interesting. Anyone notice any of these yet?

http://epawaweather.com/2014/09/the-true-winter-prognosticator-nature/
Spiders are big and webs too around my home. The old salt I spoke with last month from upsta the ny said it would be cold and that he could tell by his animals and crop so maybe he saw a few of the points listed here. 

Only time will tell!

amugs
amugs

Back to top Go down

Post by jmanley32 Thu Sep 11, 2014 11:29 pm

Really even if it is a satire story 50x amounts of snow that would give us roughly 3,175 inches of snow for the 2014/15 season, ya right lol. This kind of article is very bad as public gets ahold of it and less informed believe it. Even JB would not go as so far as to be like this.
jmanley32
jmanley32
Senior Enthusiast
Senior Enthusiast

Back to top Go down

Post by mako460 Fri Sep 12, 2014 12:25 pm

Well if this means anything to anyone... I walked out of my door at 5 this morning and walked straight into a giant spider web, it stuck to my face and i could see that the spider was eating a banded wooly caterpillar that had only one brown band. As i flailed my arms to get the webbing off of me I stepped on a whole bunch of acorns that had fallen off of the oak tree next door. As i fell on my butt I just missed landing on a bushy tailed squirrel that was gathering acorns in a frenzy. When i regained my balance and walked to my truck I saw it covered in Goose shit, they were migrating early and decided to take target practice on my windshield. Since i didnt have a rag on me I decided to go into my yard and pick some corn and use the thick husks to wipe off the goose shit. That didn't work so well so i decided to take an alternative route to work. I went around the barn and tried to saddle up my favorite horse JB. Unfortunately the saddle didn't fit him. It seems that his coat had gotten so thick that the straps no longer reached around him. Already late for work I finally decided to just stay home and tune up my snow mobile and cut some firewood for the impending onslaught of winter.

mako460
Pro Enthusiast
Pro Enthusiast

Back to top Go down

Post by docstox12 Fri Sep 12, 2014 12:49 pm

mako460 wrote:Well if this means anything to anyone... I walked out of my door at 5 this morning and walked straight into a giant spider web, it stuck to my face and i could see that the spider was eating a banded wooly caterpillar that had only one brown band.  As i flailed my arms to get the webbing off of me I stepped on a whole bunch of acorns that had fallen off of the oak tree next door.  As i fell on my butt I just missed landing on a bushy tailed squirrel that was gathering acorns in a frenzy.  When i regained my balance and walked to my truck I saw it covered in Goose shit, they were migrating early and decided to take target practice on my windshield.  Since i didnt have a rag on me I decided to go into my yard and pick some corn and use the thick husks to wipe off the goose shit.  That didn't work so well so i decided to take an alternative route to work.  I went around the barn and tried to saddle up my favorite horse JB.  Unfortunately the saddle didn't fit him.  It seems that his coat had gotten so thick that the straps no longer reached around him.  Already late for work I finally decided to just stay home and tune up my snow mobile and cut some firewood for the impending onslaught of winter.

Holy Crow, I was screaming out loud laughing at this work of art, Mako!

This is CLASSIC.
docstox12
docstox12
Wx Statistician Guru
Wx Statistician Guru

Back to top Go down

Post by mako460 Fri Sep 12, 2014 1:12 pm

Glad u like it Doc!

mako460
Pro Enthusiast
Pro Enthusiast

Back to top Go down

Post by amugs Fri Sep 12, 2014 1:56 pm

mako460 wrote:Well if this means anything to anyone... I walked out of my door at 5 this morning and walked straight into a giant spider web, it stuck to my face and i could see that the spider was eating a banded wooly caterpillar that had only one brown band.  As i flailed my arms to get the webbing off of me I stepped on a whole bunch of acorns that had fallen off of the oak tree next door.  As i fell on my butt I just missed landing on a bushy tailed squirrel that was gathering acorns in a frenzy.  When i regained my balance and walked to my truck I saw it covered in Goose shit, they were migrating early and decided to take target practice on my windshield.  Since i didnt have a rag on me I decided to go into my yard and pick some corn and use the thick husks to wipe off the goose shit.  That didn't work so well so i decided to take an alternative route to work.  I went around the barn and tried to saddle up my favorite horse JB.  Unfortunately the saddle didn't fit him.  It seems that his coat had gotten so thick that the straps no longer reached around him.  Already late for work I finally decided to just stay home and tune up my snow mobile and cut some firewood for the impending onslaught of winter.

Hilarious - well done Mako!!

amugs
amugs

Back to top Go down

Post by Garrus Mon Sep 15, 2014 8:39 am

Whatever the reason was for making that blog, was it satirical or serious he truth is that I have heard rumors about winter striking much faster this year. It's supposed to get very snowy, very soon and they were even warning in the radio to seriously thing about stocking up food. As I said: I heard rumors but you know that they say that every bit of gossip has a grain of truth in.

Garrus

Back to top Go down

Post by Frank_Wx Mon Sep 15, 2014 2:33 pm

It is certainly possible because there is already a polar air mass circulating in northern Canada...come around Thanksgiving and early December it may not take much to get it south into our region depending on the state of the PNA or EPO

Frank_Wx
Frank_Wx
Godzilla Seeker
Godzilla Seeker

Back to top Go down

Post by Frank_Wx Mon Sep 15, 2014 2:34 pm

Epic winter incoming

Frank_Wx
Frank_Wx
Godzilla Seeker
Godzilla Seeker

Back to top Go down

Post by mako460 Mon Sep 15, 2014 3:05 pm

we can only hope.

mako460
Pro Enthusiast
Pro Enthusiast

Back to top Go down

Post by SNOW MAN Tue Sep 16, 2014 6:14 am

I don't know if this means we're going to have a bad winter or not, but for the last few weeks I've had 8 black bears hanging around my yard eating any bird seed and peanuts they can find on the ground. I've lived here for 29 years and have never seen this before. My wife and I like feeding the birds and yes even the squirrels all year round, but from early spring to at least January we always take our feeders in at night because we know bears usually come around at that time. But this year these guys are coming around morning, noon and night. We've seen bears over the time we lived here, but nothing like this. The one that's the neatest is the female with her 2 cubs. You just wish you could go up and pet those little guys. Does this mean we're going to have a bad winter, the jury's still out.
SNOW MAN
SNOW MAN
Senior Enthusiast
Senior Enthusiast

Back to top Go down

Post by Frank_Wx Tue Sep 16, 2014 9:42 am

SNOW MAN wrote:I don't know if this means we're going to have a bad winter or not, but for the last few weeks I've had 8 black bears hanging around my yard eating any bird seed and peanuts they can find on the ground. I've lived here for 29 years and have never seen this before. My wife and I like feeding the birds and yes even the squirrels all year round, but from early spring to at least January we always take our feeders in at night because we know bears usually come around at that time. But this year these guys are coming around morning, noon and night. We've seen bears over the time we lived here, but nothing like this. The one that's the neatest is the female with her 2 cubs. You just wish you could go up and pet those little guys. Does this mean we're going to have a bad winter, the jury's still out.                                                                                                        

Have not seen you in awhile, hello!

And that is certainly interesting.

Frank_Wx
Frank_Wx
Godzilla Seeker
Godzilla Seeker

Back to top Go down

Post by jmanley32 Tue Sep 16, 2014 10:06 am

Animal signs have always been a good sign to me, sounds like they are at least foraging early for hibernation, it is interesting but does it mean cold, cold and snow? Can't want to find out, and wahts up snowman!
jmanley32
jmanley32
Senior Enthusiast
Senior Enthusiast

Back to top Go down

Post by SNOW MAN Tue Sep 16, 2014 2:28 pm

How are you Jman ? I know it's been while since you guys heard from be, but now that I'm back to work after my shoulder surgery I just don't have a lot of time to post. The thing that worrys me the most is all I keep hearing is that we're going to have a cold and snowy winter. Could this be the KISS OF Death for our winter season? Frank, I and several of my co-workers are anxiously awaiting your winter outlook due out on the 17th of November. Until then I'll be rubbing my lucky rabbits foot and keeping my fingers crossed and saying a few prayers that we will have a cold and extremely snowy winter. I'll talk to you guys soon. Cp I was glad to see your post in the OTI thread. It's good to here from you. See you guys soon.
SNOW MAN
SNOW MAN
Senior Enthusiast
Senior Enthusiast

Back to top Go down

Post by skinsfan1177 Tue Sep 16, 2014 6:31 pm

I don't know how this winter will turn out many rumors of this and that. Some people think just because of it not such a hot summer that winter will be brutal but I also feel summer not to hot winter might be. A couple things to note in my area acorns been falling for weeks now I know it doesn't mean much of anything. I seen a lot of squirrels around and rabbits lol.
skinsfan1177
skinsfan1177
Senior Enthusiast
Senior Enthusiast

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 1 of 4 1, 2, 3, 4  Next

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum