NJ Strong Weather Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Post your e-mail replys from NOAA about CPK here

+2
Frank_Wx
CPcantmeasuresnow
6 posters

Go down

Post your e-mail replys from NOAA about CPK here Empty Post your e-mail replys from NOAA about CPK here

Post by CPcantmeasuresnow Tue Jan 27, 2015 11:31 am

Got this reply to my email re the CP measurement issues.
okx webmaster - NOAA Service Account
10:38 PM (11 hours ago)

to me
Thanks for your e-mail Kalle !

Yes, it's a problem and something we are trying to resolve.   You should now that we too believe the measurement was low.  Unfortunately, we're 65 miles away.  What we do is at the end of the month - we review these and sometimes make changes.  We get some of the reports from CoOp's that come in after the event that we look at as well.

So our program leader will review the data and make a revision to Saturday's event as needed.  These final data are what get into the official record for Central Park.

As for finding someone else - easier said than done.  Finding someone to go the the Park and measure every 6 hours is the problem.  Plus, they can't take a day off.  

Again thanks for your concerns.   Please know that all the meteorologists here at the NWS do really care about this too.  

P.S.  If you're in the City and can get a good measurement - that would help us too.  You can send those to okx.spotters@noaa.gov  or just tweet it to us at @NWSNewYorkNY

Great job Kalleg, and thanks again. There is strength in numbers.

Last edited by CPcantmeasuresnow on Tue Feb 03, 2015 5:45 pm; edited 3 times in total
CPcantmeasuresnow
CPcantmeasuresnow
Wx Statistician Guru
Wx Statistician Guru

Back to top Go down

Post your e-mail replys from NOAA about CPK here Empty Re: Post your e-mail replys from NOAA about CPK here

Post by CPcantmeasuresnow Tue Jan 27, 2015 11:37 am

Thanks to everyone that contacted me regarding this, and sent e-mails to NOAA.

It made a difference with this storm, and if we continue to voice our concerns it will in the future too.
CPcantmeasuresnow
CPcantmeasuresnow
Wx Statistician Guru
Wx Statistician Guru

Back to top Go down

Post your e-mail replys from NOAA about CPK here Empty Re: Post your e-mail replys from NOAA about CPK here

Post by Frank_Wx Tue Jan 27, 2015 12:07 pm

Is there anyone who lives in the city that would be interested in doing this? I'm not sure if it's paid or not. Maybe send them an email

CLICK HERE to view NJ Strong Snowstorm Classifications
Frank_Wx
Frank_Wx
Godzilla Seeker
Godzilla Seeker

http://njstrongweather.blogspot.com/

Back to top Go down

Post by CPcantmeasuresnow Tue Jan 27, 2015 1:02 pm

Date: January 26, 2015 at 10:52:12 PM EST
To:
Subject: Re: Central Park Snow Totals

My Name -

Our program leader is going to look into this.  I know it's too low.  

Jeff

They're reply above to me was short but to the point. They're reply was regarding the 2.5 inch total from Saturday that every news outlet kept repeating, especially TWC, when in reality the park received 4.5 to 5.0 inches.

I'm on a first name basis with them now, because I'm a pest but a polite one, so they don't go into detail like they did with Kallig. They get as exasperated with these CPK totals as I do, and they are always sympathetic to it. I just wish they would fix it for good instead of intermittently like last year.

I know some others must have heard back so please post the reply's here.

Thanks again for all your help NJ Strong weather Forum, you're all the best.

CP

Last edited by CPcantmeasuresnow on Tue Jan 27, 2015 9:23 pm; edited 1 time in total
CPcantmeasuresnow
CPcantmeasuresnow
Wx Statistician Guru
Wx Statistician Guru

Back to top Go down

Post by CPcantmeasuresnow Tue Jan 27, 2015 1:18 pm

@Frank_Wx wrote:Is there anyone who lives in the city that would be interested in doing this? I'm not sure if it's paid or not. Maybe send them an email

Thanks for the support Frank.
CPcantmeasuresnow
CPcantmeasuresnow
Wx Statistician Guru
Wx Statistician Guru

Back to top Go down

Post by CPcantmeasuresnow Tue Jan 27, 2015 3:18 pm

Let's see if they have any updates for Central Park after 7 AM today. If they haven't it's just the same old crap again.
CPcantmeasuresnow
CPcantmeasuresnow
Wx Statistician Guru
Wx Statistician Guru

Back to top Go down

Post by Math23x7 Tue Jan 27, 2015 3:40 pm

CPK updated to 9.8"

Math23x7
Wx Statistician Guru
Wx Statistician Guru

Back to top Go down

Post by CPcantmeasuresnow Wed Jan 28, 2015 7:54 am

As Math stated above the final Central Park total was 9.8 inches which is the first accurate measurement from Central Park this season.

The e-mails did make a big difference. I guarantee after many years dealing with this, this was the type of storm which in NYC came in two parts, that would have been totaled by the zookeeper as 6-7 inches if the pressure was not applied.

Pat yourselves on the back everyone that sent e-mails, you deserve it.
CPcantmeasuresnow
CPcantmeasuresnow
Wx Statistician Guru
Wx Statistician Guru

Back to top Go down

Post by amugs Wed Jan 28, 2015 9:54 am

@CPcantmeasuresnow wrote:As Math stated above the final Central Park total was 9.8 inches which is the first accurate measurement from Central Park this season.

The e-mails did make a big difference. I guarantee after many years dealing with this, this was the type of storm which in NYC came in two parts, that would have been totaled by the zookeeper as 6-7 inches if the pressure was not applied.

Pat yourselves on the back everyone that sent e-mails, you deserve it.

Cp - great job and it is funny how a little knowledge can make a right. Let;s keep teh pressure on so he doesn't under measure the next few/many - wishful thinking I know Razz

WINTER 2014-15 : 55.12" +.02 for 6 coatings (avg. 35")
WINTER 2015-16 Total - 29.8" (Avg 35")
WINTER 2016-17 : 39.5" so far
amugs
amugs
Advanced Forecaster - Mod

Back to top Go down

Post by kalleg Fri Jan 30, 2015 2:04 pm

Sent a note to Jeff thanking him for getting back to me and noting the 9.8 CP measurement for 1/26. Here's his reply.

Thanks Kalle -

If you have measurements during a storm - you can e-mail those to okx.spotters@noaa.gov

This will help us a lot in deciding if the Zoo is accurate or not.

Jeff

kalleg

Back to top Go down

Post by CPcantmeasuresnow Fri Jan 30, 2015 8:02 pm

@kalleg wrote:Sent a note to Jeff thanking him for getting back to me and noting the 9.8 CP measurement for 1/26.  Here's his reply.

Thanks Kalle -

If you have measurements during a storm - you can e-mail those to okx.spotters@noaa.gov

This will help us a lot in deciding if the Zoo is accurate or not.

Jeff

Kalleg, I wish I knew someone that lived next to Central Park so this could finally be settled. When I retire I think I may just stay in a hotel near there during every big storm and send in the totals and pictures myself.

Again, great job. We won one battle, but the war goes on.

Also if you could, post your letter in the thread asking people to send e-mails to NOAA also.

Thanks
CPcantmeasuresnow
CPcantmeasuresnow
Wx Statistician Guru
Wx Statistician Guru

Back to top Go down

Post by amugs Fri Jan 30, 2015 9:13 pm

CP, I may just do it with you and split the cost of the suite - maybe we get DOC and SNOW man and we have our own OTI party - how we get Amber, June and Star there is another story but ...........

WINTER 2014-15 : 55.12" +.02 for 6 coatings (avg. 35")
WINTER 2015-16 Total - 29.8" (Avg 35")
WINTER 2016-17 : 39.5" so far
amugs
amugs

Back to top Go down

Post by CPcantmeasuresnow Fri Jan 30, 2015 9:23 pm

@amugs wrote:CP, I may just do it with you and split the cost of the suite - maybe we get DOC and SNOW man and we have our own OTI party - how we get Amber, June and Star there is another story but ...........

That my friend is an excellent idea. I have a feeling Doc would be in, Snow Man definitely, as long as he's not in one of his vanishing stages.
CPcantmeasuresnow
CPcantmeasuresnow
Wx Statistician Guru
Wx Statistician Guru

Back to top Go down

Post by CPcantmeasuresnow Mon Feb 02, 2015 7:45 pm

Please send e-mail to NOAA at the e-mail address below that the 3.5 inches measured in CPK is way low as always. At the same time Laguardia reported 6.4 inches, Newark 4.6 inches, JFK 4.4, most places in the Bronx and Queens reported 6-7 inches. Unbelievable.

okx.webmaster@noaa.gov

If you have an accurate measurement near Central Park, send that to the e-mail address below.

okx.spotters@noaa.gov

You can also tweet your snowfall measurement to

@NWSNewYorkNY

Thanks as always
CPcantmeasuresnow
CPcantmeasuresnow
Wx Statistician Guru
Wx Statistician Guru

Back to top Go down

Post by Taffy Tue Feb 03, 2015 7:35 pm

I'm still waiting for response from NOAA about Central Park. I hope they aren't sick of us already. lol
Taffy
Taffy
Pro Enthusiast
Pro Enthusiast

Back to top Go down

Post by Taffy Thu Feb 05, 2015 3:56 pm

okx webmaster - NOAA Service Account
3:37 PM (17 minutes ago)

to me
Thanks for your e-mail Taffy.

We all feel your frustration. We're going to revise the records as what was reported was obviously wrong.

Our problems is that we rely on volunteers at the Central Park Zoo. It seems that some of the staff are very good at measuring snow and others are not.

Jeff
Taffy
Taffy
Pro Enthusiast
Pro Enthusiast

Back to top Go down

Post by Frank_Wx Thu Feb 05, 2015 3:59 pm

Lol, Jeff is just coping/pasting the same response to you all.

Frank_Wx
Frank_Wx
Godzilla Seeker
Godzilla Seeker

Back to top Go down

Post by Frank_Wx Thu Feb 05, 2015 3:59 pm

I got a response too.............

Thanks for your e-mail Frank.

We all feel your frustration. We're coning to revise the records as what was reported was obviously wrong.

Our problems is that we rely on volunteers at the Central Park Zoo. It seems that some of the staff are very good at measuring snow and others are not.

If you can anyone to measure in the Park and send the report to okx.spotters@noaa.gov - that will certainty help us.

Jeff

Frank_Wx
Frank_Wx
Godzilla Seeker
Godzilla Seeker

Back to top Go down

Post by Taffy Thu Feb 05, 2015 4:01 pm

Ah well, I gave it a shot!
Taffy
Taffy
Pro Enthusiast
Pro Enthusiast

Back to top Go down

Post by CPcantmeasuresnow Thu Feb 05, 2015 6:26 pm

To everyone that received responses:

The fact that NOAA, started to copy and past responses I see as a positive here. It says to me they received so many e-mails about this subject they could not individually respond anymore.

I have received several responses from them in the past two years and all of them have been different. They probably did this in the past because I was the only one bugging them about it, and they could respond individually. Now that the Army at NJ Strong is contacting them, they had to resort to copy and paste.

I also saw isotherms post a couple posts back and he stated he was going to post the e-mail address of NOAA for people on the American weather forum. The more the merrier I say and the more people we can get involved the better chance this finally gets fixed.

Until they get this straight don't hesitate to send them an e-mail after each botched measurement. At the very least they will hopefully revise the statistics after the fact. I know they did last year but I as of yet I have not seen it done for the incorrect measurements in January. And I've seen no revision to the ridiculous measurement from the last storm. I will keep monitoring them to see if at least that's done.

This war won't be one in a single day, maybe not even in a year, but if we keep letting our voices be heard they may actually do the impossible and start getting accurate measurements from Central Park.

Imagine if they could finally get that done, who knows what's next maybe the wheel or even fire. I may not live to see that day but hopefully the younger weather enthusiasts out there will.

Thanks again for everybody's help.

CP
CPcantmeasuresnow
CPcantmeasuresnow
Wx Statistician Guru
Wx Statistician Guru

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum