NJ Strong Weather Forum

Join the forum, it's quick and easy

NJ Strong Weather Forum
NJ Strong Weather Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Wx Banter Thread 1.0

+45
Vinnydula
GreyBeard
JoeBx82
kalleg
rb924119
Dunnzoo
centaurusB
carvin1079
lglickman1
keliza52
Grselig
Dtone
weatherwatchermom
Artechmetals
oldtimer
HectorO
billg315
Biggin23
NjWeatherGuy
emokid51783
Quietace
deadrabbit79
dad4twoboys
H.G. Rising
smoggy14
JackShephard
skinsfan1177
algae888
amugs
nutleyblizzard
Abba701
Taffy
jmanley32
SNOW MAN
RJB8525
jimv45
snow247
docstox12
crippo84
mako460
essexcountypete
CPcantmeasuresnow
Frank_Wx
sroc4
Math23x7
49 posters

Page 12 of 40 Previous  1 ... 7 ... 11, 12, 13 ... 26 ... 40  Next

Go down

Wx Banter Thread 1.0 - Page 12 Empty Re: Wx Banter Thread 1.0

Post by amugs Wed Feb 18, 2015 10:12 am

RB great stuff posted in long range but as I said yesterday to those who live run to run that I am not getting into this until 12Z tomorrow at the earliest. Not bashing anyone here but haven't we learned our lessons this winter? Less amplified storms, those that were to cut became coastals, coastals that were to crush bump east, those system to drop minimal liquid over perform, cold air that was to be eroded hung tough and caused major icing conditions(god forbid we call it what is was an ice storm) or more snow. I am saying that this winter up until the storm and even now casting has not turned out the way it was forecasted 48, 36 ,24 or even 6 hours before it happened. Let's sit back, learn and look at the set up in the atmosphere. One thing I have learned this winter and Frank has pointed this out as well as has Scott, Rb and Al as well as some others, things are going to change and sometimes on a dime even whilst the storm is happening. This winter is far from textbook and I am not for one buying what the models are showing at his point - one is almost a torch had 50 now down to low 40's (gfs) and the others have blown chow all winter in my book but then again the weather is the weather.

I am not going to complain because it has been a blast tracking all of these storms somewhat disappointing since I feel like I have been stuck in the middle again but I am patient and my time and storm will come, if not so be it. The thrill of forecasting, racking and blogging is awesome and sharing it with my fellow weather weenies on this board is bar none.

amugs
Advanced Forecaster - Mod
Advanced Forecaster - Mod

Back to top Go down

Post by carvin1079 Wed Feb 18, 2015 12:01 pm

Honestly nyc besides the cold temps nothing more than maybe another 4" getting ready for spring its over I know some still have hope but hope only takes us so far

carvin1079

Back to top Go down

Post by sroc4 Wed Feb 18, 2015 12:21 pm

carvin1079 wrote:Honestly nyc besides the cold temps nothing more than maybe another 4" getting ready for spring its over I know some still have hope but hope only takes us so far

This is funny. You might be correct, but come on now...really?

WINTER 2014/2015 TOTALS 71.20"WINTER 2019/2020 TOTALS 6.35"
WINTER 2015/2016 TOTALS 35.00"WINTER 2020/2021 TOTALS 37.75"
WINTER 2016/2017 TOTALS 42.25"WINTER 2021/2022 TOTALS 31.65" 
sroc4
sroc4
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Wx Banter Thread 1.0 - Page 12 Empty NYC Winter Blues

Post by centaurusB Wed Feb 18, 2015 12:44 pm

For me, this Winter is already a disaster. With probable rain this weekend with maybe some snow/ice, even one large snowstorm will not raise my spirits. Every hope for a storm to come together has blown up for the city. After a few good seasons I have been spoiled, but jealous of friends in Boston area and Portland, ME area. They have probably had enough. Yes, I am whining, sorry! I guess I will have to look forward to warmer days and not have to layer-up for the cold. March is no great month to look for snowstorms here.

centaurusB

Back to top Go down

Post by CPcantmeasuresnow Wed Feb 18, 2015 12:55 pm

centaurusB wrote:For me, this Winter is already a disaster. With probable rain this weekend with maybe some snow/ice, even one large snowstorm will not raise my spirits. Every hope for a storm to come together has blown up for the city. After a few good seasons I have been spoiled, but jealous of friends in Boston area and Portland, ME area. They have probably had enough. Yes, I am whining, sorry! I guess I will have to look forward to warmer days and not have to layer-up for the cold. March is no great month to look for snowstorms here.

That's what the banter thread is for.

March for big snowstorms in NYC isn't great true, but throughout history there have been some classics and I'm not just referring to the blizzard of 88.
CPcantmeasuresnow
CPcantmeasuresnow
Wx Statistician Guru
Wx Statistician Guru

Back to top Go down

Post by SNOW MAN Wed Feb 18, 2015 1:11 pm

What about March of 1993 if I remember correctly. That was a nice storm.
SNOW MAN
SNOW MAN
Senior Enthusiast
Senior Enthusiast

Back to top Go down

Post by algae888 Wed Feb 18, 2015 2:10 pm

the disappointment stems from models showing lots of snow for us in the 3 to 7 day range then show drastic changes inside of 3 days. if models showed rain in the mid range or less snow and increased amounts as we were closer each storm we would be more satisfied right now. I mean cpk has 30+" unofficially and we still have a few more weeks to go to add some on. if we end up with 35-40" in the park that is not a bad winter at all esp when you consider what December was like. oh and I should add boston getting 100" of snow also adds to the disappointment.
algae888
algae888
Advanced Forecaster
Advanced Forecaster

Back to top Go down

Post by CPcantmeasuresnow Wed Feb 18, 2015 2:34 pm

algae888 wrote:the disappointment stems from models showing lots of snow for us in the 3 to 7 day range then show drastic changes inside of 3 days. if models showed rain in the mid range or less snow and increased amounts as we were closer each storm we would be more satisfied right now. I mean cpk has 30+" unofficially and we still have a few more weeks to go to add some on. if we end up with 35-40" in the park that is not a bad winter at all esp when you consider what December was like. oh and I should add boston getting 100" of snow also adds to the disappointment.

Al,I think you hit on one of the biggest things regarding the disappointment we've all felt at some point because of what's going on with Boston.

Here you have a city for most of us that's less than 200 miles away, that averages 41.2 inches of snow a year, so for many of us especially in the Hudson Valley their average yearly snowfall is actually less than what we get in a typical season, and they keep getting bombarded week after week when we get the fringe.

I've finally gotten over it and just accepted it because after the third or fourth time what can you do but accept it. Of course the model madness hasn't helped either.
CPcantmeasuresnow
CPcantmeasuresnow
Wx Statistician Guru
Wx Statistician Guru

Back to top Go down

Post by Frank_Wx Wed Feb 18, 2015 2:46 pm

I am having an issue with one of my deliveries going from Chicago to Belleville, MI. Of course there are intense snow squalls streaming off Lake Michigan. Just rerouted the driver to avoid the squalls. Hopefully the HRRR does not fail me...lol.

CLICK HERE to view NJ Strong Snowstorm Classifications
Frank_Wx
Frank_Wx
Godzilla Seeker
Godzilla Seeker

http://njstrongweather.blogspot.com/

Back to top Go down

Post by Grselig Wed Feb 18, 2015 3:45 pm

saw this on EPWA Facebook page.
"We are seeing a pattern this winter of negativity and harsh language and behavior toward other members of this page, attacks personally against others, attacks against our organization when a snow forecast doesn't work out for your town, attacks against other weather organizations for their forecasts. Everyone's ability to comment and participate in discussions on this page is a privilege, not a right. We don't "own" this page, Facebook does. But it is tied to an official business, Eastern PA Weather Authority, LLC, and a reflection on us as a business if we allow this to continue. We will not comment or intervene on any attacks to any of the above, personally or professionally from this point forward. Moderators have been instructed to remove the commenting rights of those who cannot play by the rules. Clearly stated, the following simple human decency rules will be enforced from this point forward, and immediate revocation of interaction privileges on this page will follow if any of the following are violated:

1) Any attacks toward another member, whether you feel they should be asking a question or or not is irrelevant. Let our moderators take care of inappropriateness.

2) Flagrant attacks against us or another competitor's organization, accuracy, or lack thereof. These are defined as those going out of their way to be above and beyond nasty and disrespectful.

3) Excessive use of memes, inappropriate language or offensive behavior. This is a page where weather information is discussed and shared, not a circus. Children between the ages of 13 and 17 also follow this page, and offensive material will not be tolerated.

We encourage participation and questions from those truly trying to find out information and those wanting to learn. So please do participate, like, comment. But do so in a manner befitting of someone who has respect for others. We have lost control this winter of the company Facebook page, and we are taking back control of it."

its only weather and thankfully in most situations is not life and death. Its snow!! Yesterday a woman yelled at me because she was backing her nice big SUV into my children. When I tapped her car to avoid them being struck she warned me never to touch her car again. My point. Health is valued. A snow storm (or nice vehicle) may be fun but has little consequence in life. Get over it.
Grselig
Grselig
Senior Enthusiast
Senior Enthusiast

Back to top Go down

Post by Frank_Wx Wed Feb 18, 2015 3:57 pm

They have not had a very good winter...like 99% of the other forecasters. Tensions are running high pretty much everywhere. Including this forum, to an extent.

CLICK HERE to view NJ Strong Snowstorm Classifications
Frank_Wx
Frank_Wx
Godzilla Seeker
Godzilla Seeker

http://njstrongweather.blogspot.com/

Back to top Go down

Post by docstox12 Wed Feb 18, 2015 4:04 pm

Wow, compared to that EPWA site, this place is a sea of tranquility.

The moderators here do an excellent job of keeping nastiness and meanspiritedness to a minimum, lest we devolve into the nastiness and chaos of the Old 7 Board.I left there because of it, don't need to put that toxicity into my aging brain ruining my quest for peace in life.

Carry on, moderators, you are the best!!!!!
docstox12
docstox12
Wx Statistician Guru
Wx Statistician Guru

Back to top Go down

Post by Grselig Wed Feb 18, 2015 4:31 pm

I do appreciate you moderators. Tough job. Compared to some old sites, its very civil and professional and respectful. Sometimes its hard to balance speech with maintaining civility.
Grselig
Grselig
Senior Enthusiast
Senior Enthusiast

Back to top Go down

Post by snow247 Wed Feb 18, 2015 4:45 pm

Water main in the parking lot right outside my building just decided to break about 10 minutes ago. Now it's going to freeze up quick. This same spot has problems at least once a year, every time people come to fix it, it just happens again a few months later. Looks like I'm going to have a mini ice storm here come tomorrow morning.
snow247
snow247
Pro Enthusiast
Pro Enthusiast

Back to top Go down

Post by skinsfan1177 Wed Feb 18, 2015 4:53 pm

So far to be honest this winter has been most difficult to forecast since I joined back on the ABC days. I want to take the time to all of you on here who have been patient and put out their the DIFFICULT forecast it's not easy. Yes it was hard with ppeople who love snow and don't end up getting it. But I always say to myself and others Mother nature has the FINAL say. This is a great board and you guys and gals do a fantastic job. Thank you
skinsfan1177
skinsfan1177
Senior Enthusiast
Senior Enthusiast

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Wed Feb 18, 2015 6:26 pm

algae888 wrote:the disappointment stems from models showing lots of snow for us in the 3 to 7 day range then show drastic changes inside of 3 days. if models showed rain in the mid range or less snow and increased amounts as we were closer each storm we would be more satisfied right now. I mean cpk has 30+" unofficially and we still have a few more weeks to go to add some on. if we end up with 35-40" in the park that is not a bad winter at all esp when you consider what December was like. oh and I should add boston getting 100" of snow also adds to the disappointment.

Sums up my feelings about this winter perfectly. I would imagine guys nw of me in NNJ and lower HV feel even worse! Evil or Very Mad Evil or Very Mad

Back to top Go down

Post by Grselig Wed Feb 18, 2015 7:40 pm

Agreed as well. Juno broke my heart. So close to a historic memorable storm and then maybe 2 inches. Its what could have been.
Grselig
Grselig
Senior Enthusiast
Senior Enthusiast

Back to top Go down

Post by docstox12 Wed Feb 18, 2015 7:42 pm

Yep, never forget watching that radar all night and seeing that "force field" over the Hudson River that kept the snow from expanding West.
docstox12
docstox12
Wx Statistician Guru
Wx Statistician Guru

Back to top Go down

Post by Grselig Wed Feb 18, 2015 8:51 pm

Soldiers: Has it come down to this. We are happy with a dusting. A dusting!!! This is winter. Blizzards. Snow measured in Feet. Godzillas. Roidzillas. Have we been so defeated by this Evil winter that we will accept mediocrity. A dusting!!!! To quote Jim Mora Playoffs? Don’t talk about — playoffs? You kidding me? Playoffs? I just hope we can win a game! Another game.

Vince Lombardi
Winning is not a sometime thing…it’s an all the time thing. You don’t win once in a while…you don’t do the right thing once in a while…you do them right all the time. Winning is a habit.”
“Show me a good loser, and I’ll show you a loser.”

OK - I've got to admit. A dusting is far better than nothing. Very Happy

I think am going to have another glass of red wine before I have another rant!! Maybe we still can win one more game this Winter. drunken drunken
Grselig
Grselig
Senior Enthusiast
Senior Enthusiast

Back to top Go down

Post by docstox12 Thu Feb 19, 2015 12:05 am

I was going to post the opening scene to the movie "Patton" here but you people must be getting sick of me doing that all the time,LOL!

docstox12
docstox12
Wx Statistician Guru
Wx Statistician Guru

Back to top Go down

Post by dad4twoboys Thu Feb 19, 2015 12:55 am

dad4twoboys
dad4twoboys
Pro Enthusiast
Pro Enthusiast

http://massageguy99.teamasea.com

Back to top Go down

Post by Math23x7 Thu Feb 19, 2015 12:59 am

I will tell you this from my perspective as a guy residing along the Queens/Nassau County border.  Even if we are finished with snowstorms until next fall, it's been a good winter.  We had snowflakes flying on Thanksgiving Day and December 10th which helped to get me into the holiday spirit with the tunes on the radio playing.  While winter did get off to a slow start, it came roaring in with a cold front on January 5th.  We had light snow on January 6th, snow squalls on the 7th with an arctic front, and a brief but intense snow band the morning of the 9th giving me 2" of snow.  

At the meetup in the city on January 10th, the main discussion was about how slow the winter had been, with no sign in the 7-10 day range of any significant snowstorm.  However, Frank did show a model image to us then stating how January 24th looked to be the day for things to change.  AND IT WAS!  We have had a series of wintry events since then.  Even though it was Boston that became the snow magnet (over 90" of snow since then),  Here we have had some decent winter storms, two of them had controversial measurements from Central Park.  And while much of the region did not get the "Roidzilla" snow amounts from the 1/26-1/27 storm that the National Weather Service was calling for, here we did get 13" of snow (a Godzilla), the biggest snow event in four years.  And we have had some brutal cold which has helped to prolong the snowpack.  The ground has been covered in snow since the 24th (And one of the snow patches from early January survived all the way through the 24th so I have seen snow since the 6th Laughing ).  It's not every winter you have the snow lasting this long.

Math23x7
Wx Statistician Guru
Wx Statistician Guru

Back to top Go down

Post by docstox12 Thu Feb 19, 2015 7:45 am

Excellent write up Math on describing the winter in your area.Agree with you, it has been an interesting winter even with the lesser snow amounts, constant cold.Up here in the HV, I have had 53.55 inches to date but we have elevation and further North orientation than your area.

Yes, I remember Frank at the meet-up sitting next to me and showing me on his tablet his call for everything to change on the 24th of Jan. and he was SPOT ON!!! An amazing call, nailed it.I have had continual snow pack for weeks up here with single digit and below zero reading and still more to come this weekend and next week.
docstox12
docstox12
Wx Statistician Guru
Wx Statistician Guru

Back to top Go down

Post by Grselig Thu Feb 19, 2015 9:03 am

dad4twoboys wrote:

Genius!!!!
Grselig
Grselig
Senior Enthusiast
Senior Enthusiast

Back to top Go down

Post by Dunnzoo Thu Feb 19, 2015 7:28 pm

46° in Daytona, forecast to go down to 28° tonight - time for racing!

Wx Banter Thread 1.0 - Page 12 11010510

Snowfall winter of 2023-2024  17.5"    

Snowfall winter of 2022-2023       6.0"
Snowfall winter of 2021-2022     17.6"    1" sleet 2/25/22
Snowfall winter of 2020-2021     51.1"
Snowfall winter of 2019-2020       8.5"
Snowfall winter of 2018-2019     25.1"
Snowfall winter of 2017-2018     51.9"
Snowfall winter of 2016-2017     45.6"
Snowfall winter of 2015-2016     29.5"
Snowfall winter of 2014-2015     50.55"
Snowfall winter of 2013-2014     66.5"
Dunnzoo
Dunnzoo
Senior Enthusiast - Mod
Senior Enthusiast - Mod

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Thu Feb 19, 2015 11:17 pm

Even in Israel they are getting a snow storm. Seems like the past few years they have been getting more snow in the middle east. And this is late in the season for them too.

http://www.theyeshivaworld.com/news/headlines-breaking-stories/286389/breaking-photos-overturned-suv-during-snowstorm-in-yerushalayim-near-kever-shmuel-hanavi.html

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Fri Feb 20, 2015 4:20 am

Guest wrote:Even in Israel they are getting a snow storm. Seems like the past few years they have been getting more snow in the middle east. And this is late in the season for them too.

http://www.theyeshivaworld.com/news/headlines-breaking-stories/286389/breaking-photos-overturned-suv-during-snowstorm-in-yerushalayim-near-kever-shmuel-hanavi.html

No way. 11.9 inches?? wow!! wild.

http://www.theyeshivaworld.com/news/headlines-breaking-stories/286596/jerusalemites-waken-to-a-snow-covered-erev-shabbos.html.

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 12 of 40 Previous  1 ... 7 ... 11, 12, 13 ... 26 ... 40  Next

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum