NJ Strong Weather Forum

Join the forum, it's quick and easy

NJ Strong Weather Forum
NJ Strong Weather Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

12/11/15 Mo Mo: "Eastern U.S. Roasting On An Open Fire"

+6
amugs
Snow88
algae888
skinsfan1177
NjWeatherGuy
Frank_Wx
10 posters

Go down

12/11/15 Mo Mo: "Eastern U.S. Roasting On An Open Fire" Empty 12/11/15 Mo Mo: "Eastern U.S. Roasting On An Open Fire"

Post by Frank_Wx Sun Dec 13, 2015 10:54 pm

You know the drill by now. Today's Mo Mo summarizes the weather you can expect over the next 2 weeks plus a look at the long range.

http://njstrongweather.blogspot.com/2015/12/121115-mo-mo-eastern-us-roasting-on.html

If you have questions, feel free to ask.

Best,

Frank

CLICK HERE to view NJ Strong Snowstorm Classifications
Frank_Wx
Frank_Wx
Godzilla Seeker
Godzilla Seeker

http://njstrongweather.blogspot.com/

Back to top Go down

12/11/15 Mo Mo: "Eastern U.S. Roasting On An Open Fire" Empty Re: 12/11/15 Mo Mo: "Eastern U.S. Roasting On An Open Fire"

Post by NjWeatherGuy Sun Dec 13, 2015 11:35 pm

Agree overall, El Nino peaked in beginning of month, things will eventually turn for the better in January when our pattern becomes more favorable. Simualted radar continues to show storms stregnthening tomorrow and potential thunderstorms up into our area with the fropa tomorrow night.

http://www.twisterdata.com/index.php?prog=forecast&model=NAM&grid=221&model_yyyy=2015&model_mm=12&model_dd=14&model_init_hh=00&fhour=27¶meter=CREF&level=SURFACE&unit=none&maximize=n&mode=singlemap&sounding=n&output=image&view=large&archive=false
NjWeatherGuy
NjWeatherGuy
Advanced Forecaster
Advanced Forecaster

Back to top Go down

12/11/15 Mo Mo: "Eastern U.S. Roasting On An Open Fire" Empty Re: 12/11/15 Mo Mo: "Eastern U.S. Roasting On An Open Fire"

Post by Guest Mon Dec 14, 2015 8:48 am

Great read Frank Thanks for all the hard work confused confused Mad Mad ........BUT WOW!!! LATE JANUARY NOW!

Back to top Go down

Post by skinsfan1177 Mon Dec 14, 2015 9:28 am

Honestly back when Frank put his winter outlook out in november he mentioned a pattern change to occur in mid to lay January. Also that December would be above normal temps
skinsfan1177
skinsfan1177
Senior Enthusiast
Senior Enthusiast

Back to top Go down

Post by algae888 Mon Dec 14, 2015 9:32 am

@skinsfan1177 wrote:Honestly back when Frank put his winter outlook out in november he mentioned a pattern change to occur in mid to lay January. Also that December would be above normal temps
yes skins frank an many mets have similar forecasts for dec and this winter but I  guarantee not one of them thought it would turn out this warm
algae888
algae888
Advanced Forecaster
Advanced Forecaster

Back to top Go down

Post by skinsfan1177 Mon Dec 14, 2015 9:48 am

@algae888 wrote:
@skinsfan1177 wrote:Honestly back when Frank put his winter outlook out in november he mentioned a pattern change to occur in mid to lay January. Also that December would be above normal temps
yes skins frank an many  mets have similar forecasts for dec and this winter but I  guarantee not one of them thought it would turn out this warm

Agreed wouldn't it be something if late Jan. Thru Feb the snow machine begins. The tale of two winters
skinsfan1177
skinsfan1177
Senior Enthusiast
Senior Enthusiast

Back to top Go down

Post by algae888 Mon Dec 14, 2015 10:06 am

@skinsfan1177 wrote:
@algae888 wrote:
yes skins frank an many  mets have similar forecasts for dec and this winter but I  guarantee not one of them thought it would turn out this warm

Agreed wouldn't it be something if late Jan. Thru Feb the snow machine begins. The tale of two winters
yes I do not know when this pattern will flip but as soon as the ridge in the east and eastern Canada leaves we should have plenty of storm chances with the strong but weakening el-nino and strong stj. remember nyc ave snow is less than 30" so one big storm can give us half of that. I know last year produced for us big time late, however I much rather have an earlier winter with pattern flips throughout than losing the first 4-6 weeks like this year and last year.
algae888
algae888
Advanced Forecaster
Advanced Forecaster

Back to top Go down

Post by Snow88 Mon Dec 14, 2015 10:16 am

@skinsfan1177 wrote:
@algae888 wrote:

Almost everyone has that happening. Late wild winter.
Snow88
Snow88
Senior Enthusiast
Senior Enthusiast

Back to top Go down

Post by amugs Mon Dec 14, 2015 1:28 pm

In a month the sentiments on this board will be doing a 360 a 180 by the first week of 2016.

WINTER 2014-15 : 55.12" +.02 for 6 coatings (avg. 35")
WINTER 2015-16 Total - 29.8" (Avg 35")
WINTER 2016-17 : 39.5" so far
amugs
amugs
Advanced Forecaster - Mod

Back to top Go down

Post by CPcantmeasuresnow Mon Dec 14, 2015 3:04 pm

@amugs wrote:In a month the sentiments on this board will be doing a 360 a 180 by the first week of 2016.

Of course by then we've lost December and half of January, the best two months to have snow because the sun angle is so low it takes a 45-50 degree day to start any kind of serious melting. Of course this month a 45-50 degree day would be a headline news cold wave.

I could just see the local Mets hyping it,

"Cold like we haven't seen all winter for the next few days, everyone. Put on the hats, the gloves, the mittens, the long underwear, the overcoat, the sweater, the wool socks. Turn up the heat, light the fireplace, set fire to your garage. Check on the young, the old, the middle age, the millennials, the baby boomers, the new borns. Check on your neighbors, and check on people you've never met. it's only gonna be in the 40's!!! next week for highs brrrrrrrrrrr!!!!!!!".

No ones writing off winter completely, but this current pattern is more than just a bad start, it's historically bad.

Great write up though Frank as always. You tell it like it is, no matter how much we hate hearing it.
CPcantmeasuresnow
CPcantmeasuresnow
Wx Statistician Guru
Wx Statistician Guru

Back to top Go down

Post by amugs Mon Dec 14, 2015 3:21 pm

@CPcantmeasuresnow wrote:
@amugs wrote:In a month the sentiments on this board will be doing a 360 a 180 by the first week of 2016.

Of course by then we've lost December and half of January, the best two months to have snow because the sun angle is so low it takes a 45-50 degree day to start any kind of serious melting. Of course this month a 45-50 degree day would be a headline news cold wave.

"Cold like we haven't seen all winter for the next few days, everyone. Put on the hats, the gloves, the mittens, the long underwear, the overcoat, the sweater, the wool socks. Turn up the heat, light the fireplace, set fire to your garage. Check on the young, the old, the middle age, the millennials, the baby boomers, the new borns. Check on your neighbors, and check on people you've never met. it's only gonna be in the 40's!!! next week for highs brrrrrrrrrrr!!!!!!!".

No ones writing off winter completely, but this current pattern is more than just a bad start, it's historically bad.

I hear ya CP - lots of history going to be made this winter I feel - strongest basin wide ENSO, warmth Dec, snowfall time period, # of godzilla storms, etc.
Dec to me is always a transition month - hit and miss - last Dec (2014) was bad, 2013 was good, 2012 bad, 2011, ditto, 2010 & 2009 good, 2008 meh...................

amugs
amugs

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Mon Dec 14, 2015 4:04 pm

@amugs wrote:

I hear ya CP - lots of history going to be made this winter I feel - strongest basin wide ENSO, warmth Dec, snowfall time period, # of godzilla storms, etc.
Dec to me is always a transition month - hit and miss - last Dec (2014) was bad, 2013 was good, 2012 bad, 2011, ditto, 2010 & 2009 good, 2008 meh...................

I think Mugs is getting even more optimistic than sroc!!!! and that's saying a lot. tongue tongue

Back to top Go down

Post by sroc4 Mon Dec 14, 2015 4:12 pm

syosnow94 wrote:
@amugs wrote:

I think Mugs is getting even more optimistic than sroc!!!!  and that's saying a lot. tongue tongue

Like last year people jumped off the bridge way too early.  I completely recognize that we could see 0" of snow, but I am still standing firm with my prediction of 58" for CPK for the season, although at the time I made that prediction for the contest I did not realize that the contest did not include March.  If the glass is halfway with water I choose to see it as half full. Thumbs up Thumbs up Thumbs up Thumbs up Thumbs up Thumbs up Thumbs up Thumbs up Thumbs up  
12/11/15 Mo Mo: "Eastern U.S. Roasting On An Open Fire" GlassHalfEmptyHalfFull

WINTER 2016/2017 TOTALS 42.25" WINTER 2017/2018 TOTALS 62.85"
WINTER 2018/2019 TOTALS 14.25" WINTER 2019/2020 TOTALS 6.35"
WINTER 2020/2021 TOTALS 37.75"
Dec 16th/17th 7.25"    
Jan 31st-Feb 3rd 15.5"    
Feb 7th 6"
Feb 10th-11th 2.75"
Feb 18th-19th 6.25"
sroc4
sroc4
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by algae888 Mon Dec 14, 2015 4:29 pm

scott right now the glass is empty. if it gets a quarter full i'll be ecstatic! Smile
algae888
algae888
Advanced Forecaster
Advanced Forecaster

Back to top Go down

Post by amugs Mon Dec 14, 2015 4:41 pm

@sroc4 wrote:
syosnow94 wrote:
@amugs wrote:

I think Mugs is getting even more optimistic than sroc!!!!  and that's saying a lot. tongue tongue

Like last year people jumped off the bridge way too early.  I completely recognize that we could see 0" of snow, but I am still standing firm with my prediction of 58" for CPK for the season, although at the time I made that prediction for the contest I did not realize that the contest did not include March.  If the glass is halfway with water I choose to see it as half full.  Thumbs up  Thumbs up  Thumbs up  Thumbs up  Thumbs up  Thumbs up  Thumbs up  Thumbs up  Thumbs up  

I am with you brother - Half Full!! Only way to go. The pattern will evolve and the PV is under attack AND the eps at the end of its run shows changes coming - it never did so this winter, the stupid gfs showed a jump start around xmass but as we see now that aint happening. Remember Dec 21 is 7 days away so if we start winter 2 weeks from then we are still in good shape - it is coming.

Positve Juju peeps

12/11/15 Mo Mo: "Eastern U.S. Roasting On An Open Fire" GoodJujuFinal_MarkName_black

amugs
amugs

Back to top Go down

Post by sroc4 Mon Dec 14, 2015 4:49 pm

@algae888 wrote:scott right now the glass is empty. if it gets a quarter full i'll be ecstatic! Smile

Ye of little faith Al. The glass is always half something.  Its all about perspective.  Plus How can you say the glass is empty when winter doesnt even start until December 21st?  Like last winter there is still sound reasoning behind why it will turn around. Frank has alluded to this in todays Mo Mo.  Similar to last year there were SST anomalies in place to eventually allow the pattern to change.  Frank saw it, I saw it, and many others saw it last year.  And the same group of winter cancels from last year are showing up this year.  This years drivers are different from last, but there are still drivers in place that simply needed there turn to drive.  Doesnt mean its set in stone by any means.  Alot does have to happen.  I will admit defeat when or If the time comes, but in no way shape or form is this war over...not by a long shot.  If you or anyone else wants to B--ch, moan and complain, and call it over, by all means I aint gonna stop you.  I say that of course jokingly and with the utmost respect for all you guys, but I am dead serious when I say that I still believe strongly that things will turn around and there is reasoning behind it. I have been getting my learn on regarding the stratosphere this year, and I think it is going to be amazing to study in hind site the effects it will have on this winter. Time will tell.  

12/11/15 Mo Mo: "Eastern U.S. Roasting On An Open Fire" Seasons

Dec 16th/17th 7.25"    
Jan 31st-Feb 3rd 15.5"    
Feb 7th 6"
Feb 10th-11th 2.75"
Feb 18th-19th 6.25"
sroc4
sroc4
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by amugs Mon Dec 14, 2015 5:33 pm

@sroc4 wrote:
@algae888 wrote:scott right now the glass is empty. if it gets a quarter full i'll be ecstatic! Smile

Ye of little faith Al. The glass is always half something.  Its all about perspective.  Plus How can you say the glass is empty when winter doesnt even start until December 21st?  Like last winter there is still sound reasoning behind why it will turn around. Frank has alluded to this in todays Mo Mo.  Similar to last year there were SST anomalies in place to eventually allow the pattern to change.  Frank saw it, I saw it, and many others saw it last year.  And the same group of winter cancels from last year are showing up this year.  This years drivers are different from last, but there are still drivers in place that simply needed there turn to drive.  Doesnt mean its set in stone by any means.  Alot does have to happen.  I will admit defeat when or If the time comes, but in no way shape or form is this war over...not by a long shot.  If you or anyone else wants to B--ch, moan and complain, and call it over, by all means I aint gonna stop you.  I say that of course jokingly and with the utmost respect for all you guys, but I am dead serious when I say that I still believe strongly that things will turn around and there is reasoning behind it.  I have been getting my learn on regarding the stratosphere this year, and I think it is going to be amazing to study in hind site the effects it will have on this winter.  Time will tell.    

12/11/15 Mo Mo: "Eastern U.S. Roasting On An Open Fire" Seasons

might I add to all ye of little faith

Are people forgetting that Boston had 5" of snow by the end of January last year? What did they finish with? 105"? Crazy things can happen in an El Nino year!!!! KNOCKOUT!

amugs
amugs

Back to top Go down

Post by Frank_Wx Mon Dec 14, 2015 5:34 pm

Loving the positive vibes in here. It's frustrating how the winters have been back loaded lately, but it's much better than say something like 2011-2012. We'll see how this plays out. CFS week 4 Stratosphere forecast was interesting. Curious to see if other models follow suite.

Frank_Wx
Frank_Wx
Godzilla Seeker
Godzilla Seeker

Back to top Go down

Post by sroc4 Mon Dec 14, 2015 5:55 pm

Frank if I have time this week I may start a separate thread dedicated to the status of the stratosphere. I would love to pick your brain. I might do a blog with pics etc and maybe you can tell me where I'm wrong. I am really intruiged by what I've been reading.

Dec 16th/17th 7.25"    
Jan 31st-Feb 3rd 15.5"    
Feb 7th 6"
Feb 10th-11th 2.75"
Feb 18th-19th 6.25"
sroc4
sroc4
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Frank_Wx Mon Dec 14, 2015 7:41 pm

@sroc4 wrote:Frank if I have time this week I may start a separate thread dedicated to the status of the stratosphere. I would love to pick your brain. I might do a blog with pics etc and maybe you can tell me where I'm wrong. I am really intruiged by what I've been reading.

Sure Scott. I really want to put something out in the Weather Education thread. My time has been limited to just doing the weekly Mo Mo's. Maybe I'll stay home this Saturday night and do a Stratosphere writeup instead Very Happy

Frank_Wx
Frank_Wx
Godzilla Seeker
Godzilla Seeker

Back to top Go down

Post by docstox12 Mon Dec 14, 2015 8:39 pm

@sroc4 wrote:
syosnow94 wrote:
@amugs wrote:

Like last year people jumped off the bridge way too early.  I completely recognize that we could see 0" of snow, but I am still standing firm with my prediction of 58" for CPK for the season, although at the time I made that prediction for the contest I did not realize that the contest did not include March.  If the glass is halfway with water I choose to see it as half full.  Thumbs up  Thumbs up  Thumbs up  Thumbs up  Thumbs up  Thumbs up  Thumbs up  Thumbs up  Thumbs up  

I'm in the half full camp ALWAYS!!!

We are going to turn these motherfriggin' teleconnections around, kick that Nino's arse,straighten out that polar vortex and get this party started in February and March.
docstox12
docstox12
Wx Statistician Guru
Wx Statistician Guru

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Mon Dec 14, 2015 9:48 pm

@Frank_Wx wrote:
@sroc4 wrote:Frank if I have time this week I may start a separate thread dedicated to the status of the stratosphere. I would love to pick your brain. I might do a blog with pics etc and maybe you can tell me where I'm wrong. I am really intruiged by what I've been reading.

Sure Scott. I really want to put something out in the Weather Education thread. My time has been limited to just doing the weekly Mo Mo's. Maybe I'll stay home this Saturday night and do a Stratosphere writeup instead Very Happy

NO!!!!!!! For the sake of all us married half dead folks please go out!!!!!! Do the thread on Sunday
. Razz Razz Razz Razz Razz

Back to top Go down

Post by Math23x7 Mon Dec 14, 2015 9:58 pm

syosnow94 wrote:NO!!!!!!!  For the sake of all us married half dead folks please go out!!!!!!  Do the thread on Sunday. Razz Razz Razz Razz Razz

James, this unseasonable warm weather has really taken a toll on you.  Let me know if you plan on going to Rollin Greens anytime in the future.  I can keep you company!  Laughing

Math23x7
Wx Statistician Guru
Wx Statistician Guru

Back to top Go down

Post by Frank_Wx Mon Dec 14, 2015 10:08 pm

syosnow94 wrote:
@Frank_Wx wrote:

NO!!!!!!!  For the sake of all us married half dead folks please go out!!!!!!  Do the thread on Sunday

lol! lol! lol! lol! lol! lol! lol!

I have a better reason to stay in Saturday night this weekend. My nonna is picking me up at 9am Sunday morning to attend Italian mass then make some Christmas visits to cousins.

Frank_Wx
Frank_Wx
Godzilla Seeker
Godzilla Seeker

Back to top Go down

Post by sroc4 Tue Dec 15, 2015 10:41 am

syosnow94 wrote:
@Frank_Wx wrote:

NO!!!!!!!  For the sake of all us married half dead folks please go out!!!!!!  Do the thread on Sunday

lol! lol! lol! lol!

Dec 16th/17th 7.25"    
Jan 31st-Feb 3rd 15.5"    
Feb 7th 6"
Feb 10th-11th 2.75"
Feb 18th-19th 6.25"
sroc4
sroc4
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down