NJ Strong Weather Forum

Join the forum, it's quick and easy

NJ Strong Weather Forum
NJ Strong Weather Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Wx Banter Thread 2.0

+53
Snow88
JoeBx82
keliza52
mwilli5783
abayoumi21
down tines
Aerojet514
JackShephard
Scullybutcher
jake732
Sanchize06
Nyi1058
deadrabbit79
Sparky Sparticles
Taffy
SNOW MAN
nutleyblizzard
Bkdude
rb924119
Mathgod55
jimv45
devsman
Dtone
Vinnydula
GreyBeard
SoulSingMG
hyde345
dkodgis
Quietace
oldtimer
lglickman1
RJB8525
snow247
NjWeatherGuy
Snowfall
Abba701
amugs
weatherwatchermom
HectorO
skinsfan1177
sroc4
jmanley32
algae888
CPcantmeasuresnow
Grselig
Dunnzoo
Math23x7
billg315
docstox12
Radz
Frank_Wx
dad4twoboys
frank 638
57 posters

Page 2 of 40 Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 21 ... 40  Next

Go down

Wx Banter Thread 2.0 - Page 2 Empty Re: Wx Banter Thread 2.0

Post by CPcantmeasuresnow Mon Jan 11, 2016 9:27 am

As the days dwindle we can try to draw comparisons to previous years that started slow and ended strong but IMO we can't do that this year because no winter has ever started off this badly. I've lived through several strong El Niño years and winter wise they have all sucked plain and simple. This year being the strongest El Niño ever I never had much hope but I've learned from the experts here that many things influence our pattern. That being said they all seem to be overpowered by HellNino this year.

I'm sure a pattern change will happen eventually but if this turns out like the winter of 82-83 yes there was a great blizzard in Febraury but that was pretty much the winter. To me a winter isn't one great storm it's suppose to be 3-4 months of mostly cold weather with storm chances scattered about that time period. My favorite times for snow are December and January because of the holidays and low sun angles which make melting minor even on 40 degree days. I'll take a snowy Febraury and March should it happen but so far this is historically sh!tty.

Just had to vent a little. This isn't shooting the messengers because they have been straight with us all along. They can't help it if we don't like what they have to say.

CPcantmeasuresnow
Wx Statistician Guru
Wx Statistician Guru

Back to top Go down

Post by docstox12 Mon Jan 11, 2016 9:38 am

Well, after the extremely warm November I knew that the pooch was pretty well scrooed for a killer winter like 93-94 or 95-96 where snow is on the ground from late November through early April.I agree with CP on those prior Hellnino years which are absolutely terrible for snow lovers.The Long Range crew here has worked long and hard plotting the various atmospheric changes and there is some hope.Better to get a snowy Feb and Mar rather than a 97-98 year.I've gone through periods in my years of observing where there are 4 or 5 terrible winters in a row with 20 inches of snow or less.We have been very blessed the last 15 years around these parts.

docstox12
Wx Statistician Guru
Wx Statistician Guru

Back to top Go down

Post by weatherwatchermom Mon Jan 11, 2016 10:04 am

Can I just say one thing...I too am just as sad as the next person when the chance of snow is dwindling for the up coming weekend...but lets look at the positive...

The men and women who are on this site, who are technical..have learned to sharpen their skills so much more with this wild winter set up. I have been on the blog for a year and watched before that ...Look at all that has been learned.. more about mjo/ stratoshpere/ and all the little things...I see Frank/Sroc/Mugs...as well as others who have grown with  all the research they are doing and in turn have been able to teach us non tech weather lovers a thing or two... I am just saying...make lemonade out of lemons...no snow sucks...but learning about mother nature sure is interesting....and maybe we need to do the snow dance

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JyjC-1jG0NA

Hope the trends change!! but for now I hope everyone has a wonderful Monday!
weatherwatchermom
weatherwatchermom
Senior Enthusiast
Senior Enthusiast

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Mon Jan 11, 2016 10:14 am

Where has anyone on this forum blamed the men and women who make forecasts?

I agree with CP They've been straight from the beginning.

Back to top Go down

Post by Grselig Mon Jan 11, 2016 11:58 am

There is no good reason to be upset with anyone on the forum for saying there is the potential for a storm a week and half out. Especially when they qualify that it is a week out and many things could change. I may hate the fact that the possibility of a storm is fading, but I would much rather be aware of the potential and lose it, than not be aware of the potential. It makes it much more fun. I think this winter has been so bleak and warm that we are grasping for anything. Desperation is setting in. Yesterday I took my kids outside so they could enjoy the spring weather. They had fun.
Grselig
Grselig
Senior Enthusiast
Senior Enthusiast

Back to top Go down

Post by jmanley32 Mon Jan 11, 2016 2:28 pm

Grselig wrote:There is no good reason to be upset with anyone on the forum for saying there is the potential for a storm a week and half out.  Especially when they qualify that it is a week out and many things could change.  I may hate the fact that the possibility of a storm is fading, but I would much rather be aware of the potential and lose it, than not be aware of the potential.  It makes it much more fun.  I think this winter has been so bleak and warm that we are grasping for anything.  Desperation is setting in.  Yesterday I took my kids outside so they could enjoy the spring weather.   They had fun.

Maybe we should all take this advice and just forget about snow, if it happens great if it doesn't will go down in history as a snowless winter.
jmanley32
jmanley32
Senior Enthusiast
Senior Enthusiast

Back to top Go down

Post by frank 638 Mon Jan 11, 2016 3:15 pm

The worst winter I rember was in 97 - 98 we had a strong el nino I rember every week we had wind driven rain Nor easter follow by cold to a another nor easter with rain .only snow we had was in march 21  where we had 3.5 inches of snow.I think Feb we will see our snow

frank 638
Senior Enthusiast
Senior Enthusiast

Back to top Go down

Post by amugs Mon Jan 11, 2016 3:20 pm

This has been a frustrating pattern so far and I concur with sentiment son here and we all learn but going in we were saying a 2nd half to winter. It is not optimal I know and we want cold and storm chances in Dec through March - who the heck wants snow in the middle of March - it screws up spring right?
As one of my peers said to me today were is all the snow you were talking about in your winter outlook sarcastically like he knows and then started the yeah what going on? The models have been a let down so far especially the end in teh LR to a degree. The OP's are just terrible unless it is a cutter which it never seems to correct. The 18 Z I said this two years ago and will always - I HATE THAT FRICKIN' RUN!! Whew feel better - not because of what it showed a few days ago but just in general and the American models need to be overhauled, not upgraded - gutted and rebuilt. Watch when the para comes into full play - it will kick our proverbial behinds and we shouldn't look at the GooFuS.
Unprecedented Nino pattern shaping up with some many other factors that would make Einstein scratch his head. Look we are at the 1/2 way point and many are ready to throw in teh towel - not until we get to teh 2nd week of Feb for me - we can always get a great ending through March. Face it we have been soiled since this century and it is not over so we see what big Momma has to bring.

WINTER 2014-15 : 55.12" +.02 for 6 coatings (avg. 35")
WINTER 2015-16 Total - 29.8" (Avg 35")
WINTER 2016-17 : 39.5" so far
amugs
amugs
Advanced Forecaster - Mod
Advanced Forecaster - Mod

Back to top Go down

Post by frank 638 Mon Jan 11, 2016 3:22 pm

I meant this February we will probably see our snow storms I'm not giving up on winter yet

frank 638
Senior Enthusiast
Senior Enthusiast

Back to top Go down

Post by Abba701 Mon Jan 11, 2016 3:43 pm

What are the chances that this is the first winter with no snow at all?

Abba701

Back to top Go down

Post by Snowfall Mon Jan 11, 2016 3:54 pm

I am honestly starting to think we put nyc in 3 to 6 this year and that's on the lower end closer to 3. God if I was ever wrong make this the time

Snowfall

Back to top Go down

Post by NjWeatherGuy Mon Jan 11, 2016 3:56 pm

From 30" fantasy storm to likely cutter. I feel as though our true threats often emerge in the SR and the LR eye candy typically falls apart as a cutter or OTS or no storm by the time the date arrives. Not dead yet but there are nails in the coffin for this one and time is running out.
NjWeatherGuy
NjWeatherGuy
Advanced Forecaster
Advanced Forecaster

Back to top Go down

Post by skinsfan1177 Mon Jan 11, 2016 4:14 pm

I'm not giving up but I wanted to share I can't be to upset I have had my fair share and beyond the last couple of winters. Way above my average. So with that said I'm asking the snow Gods to deliver the goods to those northern folks!
skinsfan1177
skinsfan1177
Senior Enthusiast
Senior Enthusiast

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Mon Jan 11, 2016 4:17 pm

There are only 2 days in the next 10 that look too warm for snow, Tuesday afternoon and evening, and Sunday.  THE EXACT TIME THAT EACH "SYSTEM" LOOKS TO AFFECT US!!! Laughing Laughing Laughing Thumbs up Thumbs up party party

Back to top Go down

Post by Grselig Mon Jan 11, 2016 4:26 pm

skinsfan1177 wrote:I'm not giving up but I wanted to share I can't be to upset I have had my fair share and beyond the last couple of winters. Way above my average. So with that said I'm asking the snow Gods to deliver the goods to those northern folks!

Skins, Thank you!!! I really want snow for those of us who were tortured by Juno. I suggest a sacrifice to the deities. The snow Gods feel that any burning of things is actually an insult. So the burning of a pile of Olaf's would be very bad. I think a mass freezing of Justin Bieber dolls would appease them.
Grselig
Grselig
Senior Enthusiast
Senior Enthusiast

Back to top Go down

Post by CPcantmeasuresnow Mon Jan 11, 2016 5:20 pm

The all time record low is 2.8 inches in 1972-73. I'm starting to wonder.

Skins you are a true living Saint. God bless my man.
CPcantmeasuresnow
CPcantmeasuresnow
Wx Statistician Guru
Wx Statistician Guru

Back to top Go down

Post by CPcantmeasuresnow Mon Jan 11, 2016 5:24 pm

syosnow94 wrote:There are only 2 days in the next 10 that look too warm for snow, Tuesday afternoon and evening, and Sunday.  THE EXACT TIME THAT EACH "SYSTEM" LOOKS TO AFFECT US!!! Laughing Laughing Laughing Thumbs up Thumbs up party party

It's now become personal. This winter is not only out to frustrate us it is now trying to demoralize, maim and destroy us. And day by day it is succeeding.
CPcantmeasuresnow
CPcantmeasuresnow
Wx Statistician Guru
Wx Statistician Guru

Back to top Go down

Post by snow247 Mon Jan 11, 2016 5:30 pm

Friend in the Rochester area thinks it's funny to send me a video of an extremely heavy lake effect snow band over him.
snow247
snow247
Pro Enthusiast
Pro Enthusiast

Back to top Go down

Post by frank 638 Mon Jan 11, 2016 5:32 pm

i think with this winter the way it has been i think we need a drink something strong

frank 638
Senior Enthusiast
Senior Enthusiast

Back to top Go down

Post by NjWeatherGuy Mon Jan 11, 2016 5:51 pm

I think its too early to throw in the towel, this may be a severely backloaded winter that may catch many off guard.
NjWeatherGuy
NjWeatherGuy
Advanced Forecaster
Advanced Forecaster

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Mon Jan 11, 2016 6:10 pm

frank 638 wrote:i think with this winter the way it has been i think we need a drink something strong

.....already in progress here at mu house as of last night's depressing news. 😢

On another note if that LP for Sat/Sat night is located at the benchmark (the perfect position for us) it'll make it even that much more demorolizing. Please if there's a weather God and it's going to rain let it cut!!! Not go over the BM and rain due to lack of cold. PLEASE

Back to top Go down

Post by frank 638 Mon Jan 11, 2016 6:28 pm

it is depressing because if we get a storm it rains after that storms leaves it gets cold , dry ,boring .

frank 638
Senior Enthusiast
Senior Enthusiast

Back to top Go down

Post by frank 638 Mon Jan 11, 2016 6:30 pm

i am tired of this waiting game its winter where is this snow

frank 638
Senior Enthusiast
Senior Enthusiast

Back to top Go down

Post by RJB8525 Mon Jan 11, 2016 7:00 pm

frank 638 wrote:i am tired of this waiting game its winter where is this snow

in Frank i trust and since December he's been saying in Feb will be our time and to this day he's still proving it..at least its cold? Christmas was almost 70 lol

i still believe!!!!!
RJB8525
RJB8525
Senior Enthusiast
Senior Enthusiast

Back to top Go down

Post by Frank_Wx Mon Jan 11, 2016 7:01 pm

This has been a very frustrating season. Sometimes it looks promising in the medium range then when we get within a week everything seems to trend negatively. The -NAO block will still be impressive...but it's only going to last for 3 days. That's a bunch of bullcrap.

My thoughts have always been late January into February that's why I'm not too upset. What this blocking episode DID do was purturb the Stratospheric PV which is key to the upcoming SSWE we'll get late January.

CLICK HERE to view NJ Strong Snowstorm Classifications
Frank_Wx
Frank_Wx
Godzilla Seeker
Godzilla Seeker

http://njstrongweather.blogspot.com/

Back to top Go down

Post by skinsfan1177 Mon Jan 11, 2016 7:07 pm

Frank_Wx wrote:This has been a very frustrating season. Sometimes it looks promising in the medium range then when we get within a week everything seems to trend negatively. The -NAO block will still be impressive...but it's only going to last for 3 days. That's a bunch of bullcrap.

My thoughts have always been late January into February that's why I'm not too upset. What this blocking episode DID do was purturb the Stratospheric PV which is key to the upcoming SSWE we'll get late January.

So does the end of lo,g look promising in delivering snow? I thought their where other storms to watch in the LR
skinsfan1177
skinsfan1177
Senior Enthusiast
Senior Enthusiast

Back to top Go down

Post by docstox12 Mon Jan 11, 2016 7:12 pm

NjWeatherGuy wrote:I think its too early to throw in the towel, this may be a severely backloaded winter that may catch many off guard.

A man of reason ! Agree completely.It's only Jan. 11th and if I remember, last year things did not get started until late January or early Feb.I have been thinking and saying all along this winter will see the big snow in late Feb or early March.
docstox12
docstox12
Wx Statistician Guru
Wx Statistician Guru

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 2 of 40 Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 21 ... 40  Next

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum