NJ Strong Weather Forum

Join the forum, it's quick and easy

NJ Strong Weather Forum
NJ Strong Weather Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

December 2016 Observations & Discussions

+32
billg315
SNOW MAN
Joe Snow
Vinnydula
cooladi
SoulSingMG
jake732
HectorO
RJB8525
Quietace
1190ftalt
hyde345
weatherwatchermom
aiannone
jmanley32
Radz
snow247
Dtone
algae888
oldtimer
skinsfan1177
docstox12
frank 638
sroc4
rb924119
Frank_Wx
CPcantmeasuresnow
Dunnzoo
amugs
NjWeatherGuy
dkodgis
Math23x7
36 posters

Page 10 of 16 Previous  1 ... 6 ... 9, 10, 11 ... 16  Next

Go down

December 2016 Observations & Discussions - Page 10 Empty Re: December 2016 Observations & Discussions

Post by skinsfan1177 Sun Dec 18, 2016 4:51 pm

Was at 64° at 2pm now down to 47°

skinsfan1177
Senior Enthusiast
Senior Enthusiast

Back to top Go down

December 2016 Observations & Discussions - Page 10 Empty Re: December 2016 Observations & Discussions

Post by aiannone Sun Dec 18, 2016 4:52 pm

42.8 here now

aiannone
Senior Enthusiast - Mod
Senior Enthusiast - Mod

Back to top Go down

Post by Frank_Wx Sun Dec 18, 2016 5:19 pm

40 degrees

CLICK HERE to view NJ Strong Snowstorm Classifications
Frank_Wx
Frank_Wx
Godzilla Seeker
Godzilla Seeker

http://njstrongweather.blogspot.com/

Back to top Go down

Post by jmanley32 Sun Dec 18, 2016 6:17 pm

39. Frank what caused the winds not to be much of anything compared to how models were show img near warning level winds 36 hrs ago? Trying learn why these wind events never pan out. Breezy once in a while right now but Def no 40mph gusts. And it was also supposed to be in the morning. Was the front slower?
jmanley32
jmanley32
Senior Enthusiast
Senior Enthusiast

Back to top Go down

Post by amugs Sun Dec 18, 2016 8:11 pm

33* black ice forming in spots.

WINTER 2014-15 : 55.12" +.02 for 6 coatings (avg. 35")
WINTER 2015-16 Total - 29.8" (Avg 35")
WINTER 2016-17 : 39.5" so far
amugs
amugs
Advanced Forecaster - Mod

Back to top Go down

Post by rb924119 Sun Dec 18, 2016 10:12 pm

jmanley32 wrote:39. Frank what caused the winds not to be much of anything compared to how models were show img near warning level winds 36 hrs ago? Trying learn why these wind events never pan out. Breezy once in a while right now but Def no 40mph gusts. And it was also supposed to be in the morning. Was the front slower?

Jman, take a look at the image below, which is the sounding for OKX from tonight:

December 2016 Observations & Discussions - Page 10 Screen37

Look at the region that I have circled in neon green.

The red line shows the temperature profile through the atmosphere while the green line shows the dew point. The level of the atmosphere is denoted by the horizontal black lines labeled with the numbers on the left side of the graph, which are labels in hPa/mb. In the area of the temperature/dewpoint lines that I have circled, notice how the red (temperature) line takes a sharp turn to the right between the 1000 and 850 hPa levels (so at approximately 925 hPa), and then less significantly at the 850 hPa level. Now take a look at the numbers along the bottom of the graph; those are temperatures in °C. So, where the temperature line turns sharply to the right, that means that there was a sharp increase in the temperature in the layer where it first made the turn through where it reversed course. That's known as an inversion, because you have temperature increasing with height when it should decrease, as well as colder air beneath warmer air (colder air below the 925 hPa level with a sharply warmer layer between 925-850 hPa). When cold air is below warm air, especially when the cold air is at the surface, that is a highly stable situation because cold air is dense and warm air is not, so it acts to stop any vertical motion (why would it want to allow vertical motion, which works to achieve stability, when it is already stable?). Therefore, even though the winds at 850 hPa were close to 50 knots, because the lower atmosphere was stable, (thanks to the inversion), they could not be mixed down to the surface. That inversion essentially acts as a barrier that won't allow anything to move through it until it is eroded.

Make sense?

Just as an interesting aside, if we were looking for severe weather, that same inversion would be known as a "cap", because it would essentially be putting a lid on the convection, not allowing any to develop from surface-based air parcels (until it was eroded, in which case you would then achieve explosive convection assuming conditions were favorable for severe weather).

rb924119
Meteorologist
Meteorologist

Back to top Go down

Post by Joe Snow Sun Dec 18, 2016 10:22 pm

35° at Stony Brook........to make the ° symbol on your key board hold down the "Alt" key and then key in the numbers 0176.

From and iPhone or iPad keep your finger on the number 0 you'll see a ° pop up above it slide your finger to it to select it.
Joe Snow
Joe Snow
Pro Enthusiast
Pro Enthusiast

Back to top Go down

Post by Frank_Wx Sun Dec 18, 2016 10:27 pm

rb924119 wrote:
jmanley32 wrote:39. Frank what caused the winds not to be much of anything compared to how models were show img near warning level winds 36 hrs ago? Trying learn why these wind events never pan out. Breezy once in a while right now but Def no 40mph gusts. And it was also supposed to be in the morning. Was the front slower?

Jman, take a look at the image below, which is the sounding for OKX from tonight:

The red line shows the temperature profile through the atmosphere while the green line shows the dew point. The level of the atmosphere is denoted by the horizontal black lines labeled with the numbers on the left side of the graph, which are labels in hPa/mb. In the area of the temperature/dewpoint lines that I have circled, notice how the red (temperature) line takes a sharp turn to the right between the 1000 and 850 hPa levels (so at approximately 925 hPa), and then less significantly at the 850 hPa level. Now take a look at the numbers along the bottom of the graph; those are temperatures in °C. So, where the temperature line turns sharply to the right, that means that there was a sharp increase in the temperature in the layer where it first made the turn through where it reversed course. That's known as an inversion, because you have temperature increasing with height when it should decrease, as well as colder air beneath warmer air (colder air below the 925 hPa level with a sharply warmer layer between 925-850 hPa). When cold air is below warm air, especially when the cold air is at the surface, that is a highly stable situation because cold air is dense and warm air is not, so it acts to stop any vertical motion (why would it want to allow vertical motion, which works to achieve stability, when it is already stable?). Therefore, even though the winds at 850 hPa were close to 50 knots, because the lower atmosphere was stable, (thanks to the inversion), they could not be mixed down to the surface. That inversion essentially acts as a barrier that won't allow anything to move through it until it is eroded.

Make sense?

Just as an interesting aside, if we were looking for severe weather, that same inversion would be known as a "cap", because it would essentially be putting a lid on the convection, not allowing any to develop from surface-based air parcels (until it was eroded, in which case you would then achieve explosive convection assuming conditions were favorable for severe weather).

This actually helped me. So thanks Ray.

At the end of the day, it's not about what wind speeds models show between 925mb and 850mb, but rather are conditions conducive enough for those wind speeds to mix down to the surface. Normally precipitation helps do that but the rain was very light today. Practically drizzle.

Frank_Wx
Frank_Wx
Godzilla Seeker
Godzilla Seeker

Back to top Go down

Post by docstox12 Mon Dec 19, 2016 6:00 am

Wow, dropped from 50.2 down to 17.9 now! 72%, 30.37 R

Got maybe an inch or two of snow on the property but prospects for a White Christmas look dim with temps Weds and beyond reaching the low 40's each day.Snowpiles, maybe.Anyway, Christmas forecast 44, much better than last years torch.
docstox12
docstox12
Wx Statistician Guru
Wx Statistician Guru

Back to top Go down

Post by Radz Mon Dec 19, 2016 6:28 am

21.0°, about 2" or so survived yesterday's high of 44.7 and light rain... pattern looks bleak for the next few weeks
Radz
Radz
Pro Enthusiast
Pro Enthusiast

Back to top Go down

Post by sroc4 Mon Dec 19, 2016 7:16 am

Frank_Wx wrote:
rb924119 wrote:

Make sense?

This actually helped me. So thanks Ray.

At the end of the day, it's not about what wind speeds models show between 925mb and 850mb, but rather are conditions conducive enough for those wind speeds to mix down to the surface. Normally precipitation helps do that but the rain was very light today. Practically drizzle.

Wow I learned me a little something as well.  And Frank ironically this was likely one reason, if not THE reason,  why there was nothing but a little light rain to drizzle for most of us as the front ran through the coastal plain where this inversion layer resided.  As Ray mentions this inversion layer created stability between 1000mb-925mb.  So as the front pushed through, the precip essentially "dried up" relative to areas N&W of the coastal plain.    Despite the heavier winds above this inversion layer as Ray points out in the soundings, no heavy down pours, then no mixing the mid level winds down to the surface.  

Here is the 3KM Total precip before the front, and after the front.  Notice the line of higher precip totals from SW to NE (A line through Central PA, NW NJ, N HV, NW CT, and into Mass) essentially stops as it reaches the coast, again likely due in large part to the inability for air to rise with any gusto due to the "capping" effect of this inversion layer between 1000-925mb; therefore, no burst of heavy down pours that typically comes with a cold frontal passage.  And Ray I am going to assume that during early spring and summer months this is also a reason why I typically see nice summer thunderstorms literally fizzle out as they head out over LI.  The cool marine layer at the surface creates a similar inversion.  FYI the sounding from OKX that Ray refers to above is from the Upton station out on LI.  

BEFORE THE FRONT:

December 2016 Observations & Discussions - Page 10 Nam3km_apcpn_neus_2

AFTER THE FRONT:

December 2016 Observations & Discussions - Page 10 Nam3km_apcpn_neus_35

WINTER 2014/2015 TOTALS 71.20"WINTER 2019/2020 TOTALS 6.35"
WINTER 2015/2016 TOTALS 35.00"WINTER 2020/2021 TOTALS 37.75"
WINTER 2016/2017 TOTALS 42.25"WINTER 2021/2022 TOTALS 31.65" 
sroc4
sroc4
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by dkodgis Mon Dec 19, 2016 7:38 am

18 degrees at 7 am this morning. Snow melted yesterday off grass then froze on the driveway overnight...a sheet of ice this morning! Lots of wind last night and of course there was a precipitous snow melt with the rise in temps yesterday. Almost makes no sense...ying and yang thing.
dkodgis
dkodgis
Senior Enthusiast
Senior Enthusiast

Back to top Go down

Post by rb924119 Mon Dec 19, 2016 7:50 am

No worries, Frank!! I didn't mean to steal your thunder, but I just happened to see the question and it sparked my own curiosity. Once I found out why, I figured I might as well just put it up.

And Scott, that is very likely a big reason, although LI and the coastal plain also experience sea breezes, which set up their own meso-scale circulations that play a role as well.

rb924119
Meteorologist
Meteorologist

Back to top Go down

Post by Frank_Wx Mon Dec 19, 2016 8:38 am

rb924119 wrote:No worries, Frank!! I didn't mean to steal your thunder, but I just happened to see the question and it sparked my own curiosity. Once I found out why, I figured I might as well just put it up.

And Scott, that is very likely a big reason, although LI and the coastal plain also experience sea breezes, which set up their own meso-scale circulations that play a role as well.

No such thing as stealing thunder here. You read a question where you feel you can provide input, answer it. Semplice! ("simple" in Italian).

Frank_Wx
Frank_Wx
Godzilla Seeker
Godzilla Seeker

Back to top Go down

Post by docstox12 Mon Dec 19, 2016 9:18 am

Frank_Wx wrote:
rb924119 wrote:No worries, Frank!! I didn't mean to steal your thunder, but I just happened to see the question and it sparked my own curiosity. Once I found out why, I figured I might as well just put it up.

No such thing as stealing thunder here. You read a question where you feel you can provide input, answer it. Semplice! ("simple" in Italian).

Thats why I love this board, it is an oasis of reason and respectability, folks with an interest of sharing and studying the science of meteorology for others to learn.You guys are the best!!!!

16.8, 68%, 30.43 R
docstox12
docstox12
Wx Statistician Guru
Wx Statistician Guru

Back to top Go down

Post by CPcantmeasuresnow Mon Dec 19, 2016 12:39 pm

docstox12 wrote:Wow, dropped from 50.2 down to 17.9 now! 72%, 30.37 R

Got maybe an inch or two of snow on the property but prospects for a White Christmas look dim with temps Weds and beyond reaching the low 40's each day.Snowpiles, maybe.Anyway, Christmas forecast 44, much better than last years torch.

Still 8 degrees above the normal Christmas high temperature of 36 but beggers can't be choosers. Compared to last year it will feel arctic.
CPcantmeasuresnow
CPcantmeasuresnow
Wx Statistician Guru
Wx Statistician Guru

Back to top Go down

Post by Frank_Wx Mon Dec 19, 2016 8:37 pm

Ok, it's cold.

December 2016 Observations & Discussions - Page 10 Temperature720

Frank_Wx
Frank_Wx
Godzilla Seeker
Godzilla Seeker

Back to top Go down

Post by Frank_Wx Mon Dec 19, 2016 8:39 pm

Another day of 30's tomorrow then temps rebound to slightly above normal rest of this week into Christmas.

December 2016 Observations & Discussions - Page 10 Gfs_T2ma_neus_13

Christmas Eve

December 2016 Observations & Discussions - Page 10 Gfs_T2m_neus_21

Frank_Wx
Frank_Wx
Godzilla Seeker
Godzilla Seeker

Back to top Go down

Post by Frank_Wx Mon Dec 19, 2016 8:40 pm

Christmas Eve and Day look dry. If there's rain, it will come late Christmas Day into Monday.

Frank_Wx
Frank_Wx
Godzilla Seeker
Godzilla Seeker

Back to top Go down

Post by amugs Mon Dec 19, 2016 10:01 pm

Ice rink frozen baby been on it since Friday, last three years negative on this. 
May be ome a babynpol.once again by the end of the month but 4"of rock solid ice takes a while days on end for it to all melt.

WINTER 2014-15 : 55.12" +.02 for 6 coatings (avg. 35")
WINTER 2015-16 Total - 29.8" (Avg 35")
WINTER 2016-17 : 39.5" so far
amugs
amugs

Back to top Go down

Post by Dunnzoo Mon Dec 19, 2016 10:07 pm

If we aren't going to get much snow, at least we can keep it for a few days. Still have snow on the ground, probably about an inch or so left!

Snowfall winter of 2023-2024  17.5"    

Snowfall winter of 2022-2023       6.0"
Snowfall winter of 2021-2022     17.6"    1" sleet 2/25/22
Snowfall winter of 2020-2021     51.1"
Snowfall winter of 2019-2020       8.5"
Snowfall winter of 2018-2019     25.1"
Snowfall winter of 2017-2018     51.9"
Snowfall winter of 2016-2017     45.6"
Snowfall winter of 2015-2016     29.5"
Snowfall winter of 2014-2015     50.55"
Snowfall winter of 2013-2014     66.5"
Dunnzoo
Dunnzoo
Senior Enthusiast - Mod
Senior Enthusiast - Mod

Back to top Go down

Post by docstox12 Mon Dec 19, 2016 10:40 pm

6 degrees, 82%, 30.38R.

docstox12
docstox12
Wx Statistician Guru
Wx Statistician Guru

Back to top Go down

Post by jmanley32 Mon Dec 19, 2016 10:45 pm

rb924119 wrote:

Make sense?

I get the general idea, yeah thats very interesting and my question taught some good info to everyone so it worked out well all around. Funny enough it was windy as heck this morning and colddddd. I forgot what it was like to be cold in December lol. I believe my car said 25 at about 11:30. Not sure what it is now, cannot wait till one day I can have a weather station when I have my own property.
jmanley32
jmanley32
Senior Enthusiast
Senior Enthusiast

Back to top Go down

Post by jmanley32 Mon Dec 19, 2016 10:47 pm

Frank_Wx wrote:Christmas Eve and Day look dry. If there's rain, it will come late Christmas Day into Monday.

As long as it doesn't snow on the 24th, 26th or 28th, both days I will be traveling in CT (family).
jmanley32
jmanley32
Senior Enthusiast
Senior Enthusiast

Back to top Go down

Post by Radz Tue Dec 20, 2016 4:33 am

7.3°, 68%, 30.29 S - coldest morning so far this season
Radz
Radz
Pro Enthusiast
Pro Enthusiast

Back to top Go down

Post by frank 638 Tue Dec 20, 2016 5:44 am

Will this be our last coldest night of the year looks like it .now we have to wait until Jan for the cold and snow .had a morning low of 20*

frank 638
Senior Enthusiast
Senior Enthusiast

Back to top Go down

Post by docstox12 Tue Dec 20, 2016 6:16 am

1.4 degree, 81%, 30.30 R

That little snowpack left, calm winds must have accentuated radiational cooling up here.Also at 700 feet up.
docstox12
docstox12
Wx Statistician Guru
Wx Statistician Guru

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 10 of 16 Previous  1 ... 6 ... 9, 10, 11 ... 16  Next

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum