NJ Strong Weather Forum

Join the forum, it's quick and easy

NJ Strong Weather Forum
NJ Strong Weather Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Fishing thread

+5
nofoboater
sroc4
Frank_Wx
Dunnzoo
docstox12
9 posters

Page 5 of 5 Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5

Go down

Fishing thread - Page 5 Empty Re: Fishing thread

Post by docstox12 Wed Mar 11, 2015 1:42 pm

NY State License up to date, getting my Jersey License on line and the Ramapo River, which is free of ice now and flowing nicely, is being stocked soon.Opening day less than a month now!

docstox12
Wx Statistician Guru
Wx Statistician Guru

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Wed Mar 11, 2015 4:20 pm

Hey doc. I always wanted to fish the Ramopo. Have been curious about it since I was 5 and can remember passing it on my way up into the Catskills. Any good? I try not to fish for stockies much anymore, more into wild fish but I'll give it a go!

Back to top Go down

Post by docstox12 Wed Mar 11, 2015 5:00 pm

They are all stocked fish, Jim.If you are up for it, I'm, your guide.Been doing it for 20 years.Thing is, lot's of underbrush so it's hard for fly fishing but not impossible.Fish mostly Browns and Brooks but they throw in a few Rainbows as well.Mostly 10 to 12 inches , but one year I got one of the 18 inch breeders they throw in.It was very convenient for me in Mahwah, 10 minutes to the River.
docstox12
docstox12
Wx Statistician Guru
Wx Statistician Guru

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Wed Mar 11, 2015 5:10 pm

Ill come up and we'll meet up some time in April. I have no problem spin fishing. we'll talk soon.

Back to top Go down

Post by docstox12 Wed Mar 11, 2015 5:27 pm

OK,Jim.
docstox12
docstox12
Wx Statistician Guru
Wx Statistician Guru

Back to top Go down

Post by docstox12 Thu Mar 12, 2015 7:31 am

http://www.grindtv.com/outdoor/outposts/post/arkansas-angler-lands-enormous-brown-trout/

Hey, Jimmy, wonder what pound test he was using? Right off the shore, no less,LOL!
docstox12
docstox12
Wx Statistician Guru
Wx Statistician Guru

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Fri Mar 13, 2015 9:48 pm

Holy shit Doc. I bet he was using 8 pound test. I personally use 4 to 6 pound on my trout spinning rods. In the fall when they release water from one side of the Ashokan reservoir to the other over the dam by my parents house, you can see huge brown trout congregate just below the outflow. (spawning instinct?) It's closed to fishing since 9/11 but I've snuck in a time or 2 and as soon as your lure drops down you get hammered by big trout. 20"+. One time as I brought in a 19" brown, a trout came up and tried to eat the one I had hooked. Looked well over 30" Dwarfed the one I caught.

Back to top Go down

Post by docstox12 Sat Mar 14, 2015 1:43 am

Wow, great action at that Reservoir.I was also thinking about the pound test he was using.Had to have the drag just right if he was using 8 to land that monster.I use four pound on a one piece ultra light 5 foot Ugly Stick.Used to have years ago a 5'3" Med-Light Fenwick which cost 85 bucks but broke the tips off of two of them walking through the woods.Got pissed and switched to the Ugly Stick.You can run them over with a car and they are fine,LOL!I was yelled at by an old timer 20 years ago in the Ramapo for using 6 pound test, still remember his words..."goddammit, the fish SEE the 6 pound"...LOL! I used 6 pound on my Bass set up but too many big ones broke me off and now I use 8 pound there with my drag just right.The old Jersey Rig or Wacky Worm works great.Don't know if you are into Largemouth or Smallie fishing.Lot's of fun!
docstox12
docstox12
Wx Statistician Guru
Wx Statistician Guru

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Sat Mar 14, 2015 12:42 pm

docstox12 wrote:Wow, great action at that Reservoir.I was also thinking about the pound test he was using.Had to have the drag just right if he was using 8 to land that monster.I use four pound on a one piece ultra light 5 foot Ugly Stick.Used to have years ago a 5'3" Med-Light Fenwick which cost 85 bucks but broke the tips off of two of them walking through the woods.Got pissed and switched to the Ugly Stick.You can run them over with a car and they are fine,LOL!I was yelled at by an old timer 20 years ago in the Ramapo for using 6 pound test, still remember his words..."goddammit, the fish SEE the 6 pound"...LOL! I used 6 pound on my Bass set up but too many big ones broke me off and now I use 8 pound there with my drag just right.The old Jersey Rig or Wacky Worm works great.Don't know if you are into Largemouth or Smallie fishing.Lot's of fun!

My good friend (got me my job, more like my mentor) recently retired. His family has owned a house in Calicoon, ny on the Deleware. It's now totally renovated and updated state of the art beautiful right on the river. One of the most productive stretches is from his house down to the Callicoon bridge. Come July once it gets a little warm for trout I put a kayak in by his house and fish for smallies. we usually wind up catching 20+ smallies easy in a day with 2 or 3 big rainbow trout thrown in for good measure. Great action and tons of beers. Also have a few great little farm ponds up by my parents that are full of largemouth bass. Some pushing 8 pounds. A nice hour and a half bight on topwater lures through the weeds just before dark I do prefer trout fishing to any of these options though.

Down here on LI I fish 3 days a week if not more for stripers and blues. I go before work to Cold Spring Harbor, Bayville, sometimes even down to Long Beach or Bayville depending on the tides and reports. I go before work from 5:45 till 7:15. Come late May I do a lot of kayak fishing in Long Island Sound for Fluke,Porgies and bass/blues. I'm a fishing addict. Gun to my head though I want to be up in the mountains fly fishing for wild trout!! I even know of a few "secret" spots way up high in elevation for native brookies!!

Back to top Go down

Post by docstox12 Sat Mar 14, 2015 1:02 pm

I was in the Delaware at Callicoon one very cold October day right near the town.Nice stretch of river but got skunked.Always wanted to get back for Smallies and from what I read here, July seems to work in that stretch.I'm usually much further down by Stroudsberg and the Route 80 bridge.Sometimes great trout action in April, have had good days with nice 14 to 16 inch Browns in the runs.Shad usually run around then. Got a shad to hit my copper Phoebe and, man what a ride on four pound test.Took me five minutes to get him to shore.Beautiful colored fish.

You're right about those farm ponds.I was at a B&B up near the Finger Lakes and the guy had two nice private ponds.He let me fish them and you got a bass every cast.Anything in the tacklebox they would bite,LOL!

You are in the sweet spot for salt water fishing, takes me 1 1/2 hours to get to salt water.That's why I've stayed mostly freshwater.
docstox12
docstox12
Wx Statistician Guru
Wx Statistician Guru

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Sat Mar 14, 2015 2:34 pm

Fish the Deleware from Calicoon bridge upriver from July on. Use little floating rapalas in blue/white or black/gold in the fast water and you'll do really well!!

Back to top Go down

Post by docstox12 Sat Mar 14, 2015 7:28 pm

Got it, Jimmy, always have luck with those black/gold Rapalas for Smallies.
docstox12
docstox12
Wx Statistician Guru
Wx Statistician Guru

Back to top Go down

Post by nofoboater Fri Mar 27, 2015 8:35 am

Hey Doc, opening day for trout next week, April 1. Are you getting out?

I'm plan to pull the shriknwrap off my boat, going to get her ready so when the weather breaks I can get it in and an early start,.... hopefully. For the past few years we've targeted May 1 but the weather hasn't cooperated so it usually ends up after Memorial Day.

nofoboater

Back to top Go down

Post by docstox12 Fri Mar 27, 2015 5:25 pm

Getting ready, Nofo.There are some stretches of the Ramapo in NY I can fish and NJ opens around April10th.

Hope you get an early start with the boat.This crappy weather refuses to get nice and mild,LOL!
docstox12
docstox12
Wx Statistician Guru
Wx Statistician Guru

Back to top Go down

Post by Dunnzoo Fri Mar 27, 2015 5:43 pm

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2fr9bY0_JB8

This is what I call fishing!   No boat for me !

Snowfall winter of 2023-2024  17.5"    

Snowfall winter of 2022-2023       6.0"
Snowfall winter of 2021-2022     17.6"    1" sleet 2/25/22
Snowfall winter of 2020-2021     51.1"
Snowfall winter of 2019-2020       8.5"
Snowfall winter of 2018-2019     25.1"
Snowfall winter of 2017-2018     51.9"
Snowfall winter of 2016-2017     45.6"
Snowfall winter of 2015-2016     29.5"
Snowfall winter of 2014-2015     50.55"
Snowfall winter of 2013-2014     66.5"
Dunnzoo
Dunnzoo
Senior Enthusiast - Mod
Senior Enthusiast - Mod

Back to top Go down

Post by docstox12 Fri Mar 27, 2015 8:04 pm

LOL, Janet, you can open your car door and one will jump in!
docstox12
docstox12
Wx Statistician Guru
Wx Statistician Guru

Back to top Go down

Post by nofoboater Sat Mar 28, 2015 12:55 pm

So much for that, 1.5" of snow in and on my boat, haha!

That salmon video is hysterical

nofoboater

Back to top Go down

Post by docstox12 Sat Mar 28, 2015 1:19 pm

LOL, Nofo, isn't it the limit? I just got back from the yearly 25% off sale at my local fishing supply Davis Sports and I drove home in a snowstorm.I'm looking at the line,hooks,lures and plastic worms I bought and am laughing!!!
docstox12
docstox12
Wx Statistician Guru
Wx Statistician Guru

Back to top Go down

Post by docstox12 Mon Apr 27, 2015 6:37 am

Fished the Mainstream Delaware River just North of the Route 80 Bridge in Stroudsberg.Caught two Browns, 17 and 13 inches.The 17 incher fought me for five minutes in the fast current of the run.I used a 1/4 ounce gold Kastmaster.A buddy a little ways from me nailed a beautiful 20 inch Brown on a black and gold 3 inch Rapala.He won the pool,LOL!In addition to the two fish, caught a cold again after shaking one a week ago.Grrrrrrrr!!!!!!!! It was friggin' cold and windy up there, early march like weather.
docstox12
docstox12
Wx Statistician Guru
Wx Statistician Guru

Back to top Go down

Post by nofoboater Mon Apr 27, 2015 9:41 am

Nice fish Doc! And fun fighting the fish with the current. Must be a bitch navigating around the rocks. That is a beautiful area.

We worked on the boat yesterday, hopefully we get it in the water next weekend. Bunker are already in the bays.

nofoboater

Back to top Go down

Post by docstox12 Mon Apr 27, 2015 10:17 am

Hi, Nofo, glad you are getting the boat in shape and hope you set sail soon.

Yeah, navigating those rocks as well as walking 1 mile in and back through the brush is getting harder and harder with my old achy knees.I'll keep doing it until they have to carry me out,LOL!

Tight lines, friend!
docstox12
docstox12
Wx Statistician Guru
Wx Statistician Guru

Back to top Go down

Post by docstox12 Fri May 29, 2015 4:21 pm

After having to sell my little bass boat after 19 great fishing seasons due to arthritic knees, I officially started my shore fishing career today.At a local pond in Monroe NY got 6 small Largemouth bass around 8-9 inches.Then went to Lake Askoti in Harriman and got a sardine and a nice 11 inch largemouth.All on wacky rig plastic worm.

Absolutely perfect day, warm and dry,lots of sun.
docstox12
docstox12
Wx Statistician Guru
Wx Statistician Guru

Back to top Go down

Post by docstox12 Mon Jun 08, 2015 4:21 pm

My shore fishing adventures have led me to discover a great lake up here in Chester NY, Glenmere Lake.Bought a pair of hip waders and fished a part of the shoreline up to my knees in the lake.It cleared up nicely, weatherwise, nice breeze, puffy cumulus clouds.Caught a beautiful 14 inch Largemouth on a plastic wacky worm rig.

Did a little shore fishing at lake Sebago a few days ago but didn't have my hip waders then.No luck but found a great area to wade, very easy slope and mostly sand.Gonna get back there again for sure.Will report again someday.

Tight lines,guys!
docstox12
docstox12
Wx Statistician Guru
Wx Statistician Guru

Back to top Go down

Post by docstox12 Fri Jun 12, 2015 1:49 pm

Finally was able to get to the Beaverkill River in Roscoe.Action slow but did manage to get a nice 16 inch Brown right under my favorite spot, the old iron bridge at Horton Brook.Nice, fast water.Hooked into a few more but they shook me off.Had to quit at 11:30 as temps got very warm.Will get back in October when all the fly guys disappear and I have the river pretty much to myself.
docstox12
docstox12
Wx Statistician Guru
Wx Statistician Guru

Back to top Go down

Post by docstox12 Fri Jun 19, 2015 6:40 pm

Went back to beautiful Lake Sebago to a great wading spot I scouted out on a prior shore fishing trip and caught a 14 and 15 inch Largemouth Bass.Wacky Rig Yamomoto plastic worm.Saw dark clouds in the NW and heard thunder so got out of the lake after an hour but will be back there again someday.Who needs a boat,LOL?
docstox12
docstox12
Wx Statistician Guru
Wx Statistician Guru

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 5 of 5 Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum