NJ Strong Weather Forum

Join the forum, it's quick and easy

NJ Strong Weather Forum
NJ Strong Weather Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Fishing thread

+5
nofoboater
sroc4
Frank_Wx
Dunnzoo
docstox12
9 posters

Page 4 of 5 Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next

Go down

Fishing thread - Page 4 Empty Re: Fishing thread

Post by nofoboater Wed Aug 13, 2014 2:31 pm

Hey Doc,
Still haven't done much fishing besides a little snapper fishing in the river with the kids.
I'm told that they are killing Sea Bass in Shinnecock Bay and about mile out into the Ocean. That's one delicious fish. Once I get caught up with work, I'll have to get out and try some, they're hitting hi-lo rigs on clams.

nofoboater

Back to top Go down

Post by docstox12 Wed Aug 13, 2014 6:01 pm

Yep, Nofo, Sea bass are tasty fish.Hope you can get out and catch some.

Did a couple of local lake trips the last few weeks.Caught mostly small bass but got a 12 incher at Lake Tiorati.August is slow.They get active late Sept-early Oct when the cool weather turns them on feeding for winter.

Tight lines!

By the way, looks like the heaviest rain missed you out there just like here in Mahwah NJ.No more than 1/2 inch.

docstox12
Wx Statistician Guru
Wx Statistician Guru

Back to top Go down

Post by nofoboater Thu Aug 14, 2014 7:52 am

I remember at my wedding having Sea bass on our menu. I've never cooked it before but do tend to order it from time to time. Chicken of the sea? haha

Yes, the heaviest missed us by about 11 miles. I recorded 1.5". We sure could use some more, it's been ridiculously dry out here.

nofoboater

Back to top Go down

Post by docstox12 Thu Aug 14, 2014 8:31 am

When I used to go to LBI for Memorial Day weekend with my buddies, we'd catch a bunch of them on a head boat and barbecue them up, some fillet, some whole.Very, very tasty.
docstox12
docstox12
Wx Statistician Guru
Wx Statistician Guru

Back to top Go down

Post by nofoboater Thu Aug 14, 2014 8:42 am

Yes, Sea Bass definitely doesn't need too much flavoring. This conversation is making me very hungry.

nofoboater

Back to top Go down

Post by docstox12 Thu Aug 14, 2014 9:45 am

Well, Nofo, get out there this weekend and catch some and cook them up.You said they are hitting, go get 'em!
docstox12
docstox12
Wx Statistician Guru
Wx Statistician Guru

Back to top Go down

Post by nofoboater Thu Aug 14, 2014 9:56 am

HAHA, I'll try doc! You will hear about it if I do, believe me

nofoboater

Back to top Go down

Post by docstox12 Thu Aug 14, 2014 12:07 pm

OK, Nofo, tight lines to you, friend!
docstox12
docstox12
Wx Statistician Guru
Wx Statistician Guru

Back to top Go down

Post by docstox12 Mon Aug 25, 2014 5:45 pm

Did a last bass boat trip to Green Turtle Pond in West Milford today.5 or 6 small bass.Haven't hooked into a 16 incher in a while.Not such a good summer for bass this year.Guess they like the heat,LOL.Going to be making last runs to Blue Lake, Welch, Kanawaukee and Tiorati before i give up my bass boat at the end of the season.Hopefully, things light up when it gets much cooler.
docstox12
docstox12
Wx Statistician Guru
Wx Statistician Guru

Back to top Go down

Post by nofoboater Mon Sep 08, 2014 10:01 am

Went down to the Jersey Shore last week, tried a little "Summer Flounder" fishing, two shorts in the bay, I mean short. Did some drifting in the inlets, got some small blues on poppers and tins. It was pretty hot when we went out, but least we caught a few. I was told that the fall migration down there should start early this year due to colder waters and cooler weather predicted. Not sure if that's consistent with Long Island waters, guess time will tell.

nofoboater

Back to top Go down

Post by mako460 Mon Sep 15, 2014 3:26 pm

hey doc and nofo... finally started to put my boat to good use, even if it was late in the season. Took the wife and kids out a few afternoons this past week, short trips for the local fluke and nice sized snappers at the dock. Friday afternoon we got 2 keeper fluke and 5 shorts, plenty for dinner. One was 1/2 " short but a real fatty and since the season is over today i went against my rules and kept it (dont tell the DEC) but it was gut hooked and going to die anyway so i ate it, LOL. The boat is running really nice so it's time to start gearing up for the fall bass run. Tight lines to all and i will keep you up to date.If either of you ever want to make the trek to brooklyn there is always a pole waiting and room at the gunnel for you.

mako460
Pro Enthusiast
Pro Enthusiast

Back to top Go down

Post by docstox12 Mon Sep 15, 2014 4:12 pm

Mako, that's really nice of you to offer myself and Nofo a place on your boat.My arthritic knees are really on the bum these days, I would be more of a pain in the ass than fun,LOL, but maybe if they calm down someday I'll take you up on that.

Real glad you had some good luck.Hard to get keeper fluke these days.Remember a time when 15 1/2 inches was legit.

I took my little bass boat out for the very last time ( see arthritic knees above) to Lake Kannawaukee in Harriman.Got three 8 to 10 inch bass.Selling the boat now.Too dangerous for me.Already took a header and was lucky not to get hurt.It goes on Craigslist and i become a shore fisherman from now on.Had 19 great seasons with the little bass boat, hundreds of bass and pickerel.

Tight lines to you, my friend.Read your Trade Center story and Thank God for his protection of your beloved wife.Also, Thank God for those Farmers and their market that day.Many years of great boating and happiness to you and yours.

Let us know how that Striper action is this Fall!
docstox12
docstox12
Wx Statistician Guru
Wx Statistician Guru

Back to top Go down

Post by nofoboater Tue Sep 16, 2014 6:21 am

Mako, ditto what Doc says, would be nice to fish those waters, never have before. Many thanks for the offer.

Curious, what were the fluke hitting?

Doc, sorry to hear the knees are so bad now. I understand that staying stagnant is worse then moving around for arthritus. But sometimes the pain is so unbearable. At least you can still fish from the shore. As much as I love to fish on a boat, sitting in a chair on the beach with a cold beer and dead sticking has its merits.

nofoboater

Back to top Go down

Post by docstox12 Tue Sep 16, 2014 8:13 am

Hey, Nofo, yeah, my knees are getting worse but with Ibuprofen,I'll be able to do the shore thingy.I'm going to use waders because I like to move around.Rarely use bait, mostly lures.I've got a bunch of lakes lined up for next season.

One that I go to way upstate NY near Oneonta, Goodyear lake, is a piece of cake to wade in.Nice .easy solid slope.Three years ago I was there on a mild October day and caught 11 largemouth and smallies, all 10 or 15 feet from the shore. A few were 16 plus inches.

Guess I'll get to that chair and cold beer stage eventually.It sounds kinda good,LOL!
docstox12
docstox12
Wx Statistician Guru
Wx Statistician Guru

Back to top Go down

Post by mako460 Tue Sep 16, 2014 9:32 am

Hey NoFo the fluke were hitting squid/spearing combos. I prefer bucktailing myself but with the kids onboard bait is the easiest for them to use.

mako460
Pro Enthusiast
Pro Enthusiast

Back to top Go down

Post by nofoboater Tue Sep 16, 2014 12:38 pm

Yes, squid spearing seem to work well out here, I too like to use bucktails with a decent drift.
Happy Fishing

nofoboater

Back to top Go down

Post by docstox12 Tue Sep 23, 2014 3:35 am

Considering a trip up to Roscoe NY to the Beaverkill for trout but it's so bone dry up there, my lure would be skipping on rocks.Hope this possible storm the models are seeing will pan out.Sadly, looks like it'll only brush the coast and leave Roscoe bone dry. Same friggin' trend of the last 5 years, south and east, south and east......
docstox12
docstox12
Wx Statistician Guru
Wx Statistician Guru

Back to top Go down

Post by docstox12 Thu Oct 02, 2014 4:17 am

http://waterdata.usgs.gov/ny/nwis/uv/?site_no=01420500&PARAmeter_cd=00065,00060,72020,00010

Nofo and Mako, this graph tells the tale of the current drought up in Roscoe area.Beaverkill River is optimal at 2.5 feet for spin cast fishing and it's barely at .70 foot with the flow rate a trickle.If it doesn't get better by early November, my fall trout trips are shot.
docstox12
docstox12
Wx Statistician Guru
Wx Statistician Guru

Back to top Go down

Post by nofoboater Mon Oct 13, 2014 7:27 am

Hey Doc, I've been off 'the hook' so to speak, busy with the new business and of course the kids. Was hoping to get one last fishing trip in, (especially the annual Plum Gut run for fall stripers) but every time we try to get out, the weather is crummy. Not necessarily rain but wind. It seems to have been more windy lately then I can remember in recent history. Speaking of rain, we're starting to replenish after the long drought over the summer. Hope you get out for the fall trout fishing.

nofoboater

Back to top Go down

Post by docstox12 Mon Oct 13, 2014 3:01 pm

Hi, Nofo, hope the new buisiness and family are doing well.

Went out to PA near where SNOW lives and caught bass and pickerel on wacky rigs and minnows.Hoping these latest rain events do get the Beaverkill running good again so I can get up to Roscoe.Can spin with lures until early Nov. up there so there's a shot.I'll check the gauge level after.

Can't stand wind.Hated being blown all over the lake in my little Basstracker boat and throwing lures up into the trees.Give me nice calm conditions any day.

Talk again soon, friend!
docstox12
docstox12
Wx Statistician Guru
Wx Statistician Guru

Back to top Go down

Post by docstox12 Mon Oct 27, 2014 5:29 pm

The recent rains boosted the Beaverkill River in Roscoe NY from bone dry to fishable levels.

Arrived there this AM at 8:45.Beautiful, crisp clear morning around 40 degrees. Got three beautiful Browns on Acme Kastmaster gold lure.One 15, one 16 and one 18 inches.The 18 incher took me a few minutes to reel in with the heavy current. 2 at Cairn's Pool and one at Cemetary Pool.

Good thing I renewed my license Saturday ( NYS runs from Oct 1 to Oct 1).A ranger was waiting for me at my car at one of the spots.His vehicle read "Environmental Police",LOL.Nice young kid, chatted him up.He was cool when he saw my license was current.

Love fishing with my spin gear there in late Oct-early Nov.The fly guys disappear due to no hatches in the cold.Had the whole river to myself today.
docstox12
docstox12
Wx Statistician Guru
Wx Statistician Guru

Back to top Go down

Post by docstox12 Sat Jan 31, 2015 8:18 am

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Fq1mw2PyQq0

I love the snow and winter but I also love freshwater fishing, and right about now, I miss it dearly.Here is a video some guy made where I have gone 4 or 5 times to wade on the shore and catch Largemouth Bass.A piece of God's beauty....
docstox12
docstox12
Wx Statistician Guru
Wx Statistician Guru

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Mon Mar 02, 2015 2:16 pm

Hey Doc

With all this snow and solid cold the spring trout season should benefit greatly. Look for things to start up later than usual (about the 3rd week of April) for fly fishing. This is good because it will also extend the season by 3 weeks due to the colder water temps. We should be good thru early July!!

Back to top Go down

Post by docstox12 Mon Mar 02, 2015 7:36 pm

Jim

You're right about that, water will be cold a while.Should be good river levels with the snowmelt.I do best in the Beaverkill late May- early June.Getting antsy here, want to get a lure in the water,LOL!
docstox12
docstox12
Wx Statistician Guru
Wx Statistician Guru

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Wed Mar 11, 2015 1:38 pm

This warmer weather has really kickstarted my cabin fever. Just 20 more days till fishing season. Can't wait.

Back to top Go down

Post by docstox12 Wed Mar 11, 2015 1:42 pm

NY State License up to date, getting my Jersey License on line and the Ramapo River, which is free of ice now and flowing nicely, is being stocked soon.Opening day less than a month now!
docstox12
docstox12
Wx Statistician Guru
Wx Statistician Guru

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Wed Mar 11, 2015 4:20 pm

Hey doc. I always wanted to fish the Ramopo. Have been curious about it since I was 5 and can remember passing it on my way up into the Catskills. Any good? I try not to fish for stockies much anymore, more into wild fish but I'll give it a go!

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 4 of 5 Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum