NJ Strong Weather Forum

Join the forum, it's quick and easy

NJ Strong Weather Forum
NJ Strong Weather Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

January Obs and Discussions

+33
moleson
bobjohnsonforthehall
SnowForest
lglickman1
NjWeatherGuy
jake732
algae888
Vinnydula
Dtone
essexcountypete
Math23x7
Scullybutcher
Taffy
skinsfan1177
jmanley32
jimv45
docstox12
bluebythec
Frank_Wx
Dunnzoo
RJB8525
aiannone
frank 638
hyde345
billg315
CPcantmeasuresnow
dad4twoboys
weatherwatchermom
Sparky Sparticles
Radz
sroc4
dkodgis
amugs
37 posters

Page 4 of 13 Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5 ... 11, 12, 13  Next

Go down

January Obs and Discussions  - Page 4 Empty Re: January Obs and Discussions

Post by jimv45 Sun Jan 07, 2018 9:10 am

Hit a low of -12 just so cold.

jimv45
Senior Enthusiast
Senior Enthusiast

Back to top Go down

Post by CPcantmeasuresnow Sun Jan 07, 2018 9:11 am

weatherwatchermom wrote:3* and -10 how many days is this..wow I think this is 15 days below 32*...If I am not mistaken I think I heard the record is 16...have to look that up

This will make 13 straight days in NYC of 30 degrees or below. The record for consecutive days below 32 is 16, they may make it 14 tomorrow, but it ends Tuesday. Unfortunately not one record low in Central Park during the whole streak. As I've stated several times this was a nice streak for it's length of sustained cold but nothing extraordinary regarding low temperatures. 3 of the past 4 winters in NYC have had readings of 4 degrees or lower and this mornings low of 5 was the coldest it got in Central Park during this stretch not even matching the lows of those recent winters.

CPcantmeasuresnow
Wx Statistician Guru
Wx Statistician Guru

Back to top Go down

Post by docstox12 Sun Jan 07, 2018 9:51 am

CPcantmeasuresnow wrote:
weatherwatchermom wrote:3* and -10 how many days is this..wow I think this is 15 days below 32*...If I am not mistaken I think I heard the record is 16...have to look that up

This will make 13 straight days in NYC of 30 degrees or below. The record for consecutive days below 32 is 16, they may make it 14 tomorrow, but it ends Tuesday. Unfortunately not one record low in Central Park during the whole streak. As I've stated several times this was a nice streak for it's length of sustained cold but nothing extraordinary regarding low temperatures. 3 of the past 4 winters in NYC have had readings of 4 degrees or lower and this mornings low of 5 was the coldest it got in Central Park during this stretch not even matching the lows of those recent winters.

I agree this has been a nice stretch especially with the mild Decembers we have been having.But the 1961 stretch of 16 days had two major snowstorms, a few smaller ones, and a -2 low at Central Park on Feb 2.
docstox12
docstox12
Wx Statistician Guru
Wx Statistician Guru

Back to top Go down

Post by Radz Sun Jan 07, 2018 9:54 am

If Christmas Day can be considered day 1, today is 14 and tomorrow would be 15 i think...
Radz
Radz
Pro Enthusiast
Pro Enthusiast

Back to top Go down

Post by Radz Sun Jan 07, 2018 9:56 am

CPcantmeasuresnow wrote:

i stand corrected...
Radz
Radz
Pro Enthusiast
Pro Enthusiast

Back to top Go down

Post by CPcantmeasuresnow Sun Jan 07, 2018 10:44 am

docstox12 wrote:
CPcantmeasuresnow wrote:

I agree this has been a nice stretch especially with the mild Decembers we have been having.But the 1961 stretch of 16 days had two major snowstorms, a few smaller ones, and a -2 low at Central Park on Feb 2.

It also saw a low of -30 in Poughkeepsie in the HV during the January 1961 cold wave, their all time record low.

It's a story I've told before but locals use to tell me the story of waking up to gunshots early that January morning to later find out it was the sap freezing and bursting some of the nearby maple trees.

The coldest I've ever personally experienced was the January 1994 cold wave where it reached -23 IMBY. Actual temperature not wind chill. A few towns in NW Jersey were -32 and -34 that same day. I guess it's just one of the reasons I'm underwhelmed by this stretch.
CPcantmeasuresnow
CPcantmeasuresnow
Wx Statistician Guru
Wx Statistician Guru

Back to top Go down

Post by hyde345 Sun Jan 07, 2018 12:24 pm

Poughkeepsie hit -14 at 7:30 this morning. Second double digit below reading of winter as it was -10 last week.
hyde345
hyde345
Pro Enthusiast
Pro Enthusiast

Back to top Go down

Post by frank 638 Sun Jan 07, 2018 12:35 pm

we did not break any records for the city this morning the low was 5 * .now its 11 * and winds are calm at least its not to bad out

frank 638
Senior Enthusiast
Senior Enthusiast

Back to top Go down

Post by aiannone Sun Jan 07, 2018 1:41 pm

Don’t be surprised if a WWA is issued for the area with the afternoon package or morning package due to the potential for some accumulation of freezing rain.

Senior Enthusiast - Mod
Senior Enthusiast - Mod

Back to top Go down

Post by weatherwatchermom Sun Jan 07, 2018 4:21 pm

January Obs and Discussions  - Page 4 Img_2014
January Obs and Discussions  - Page 4 Img_2013

went to lunch at Bahrs Rest by Sandy Hook...this is on the Navasink right by the hook....never have seen this frozen before. nothing was moving at all. my husband said the current there can be up to 5 knots...
weatherwatchermom
weatherwatchermom
Senior Enthusiast
Senior Enthusiast

Back to top Go down

Post by Math23x7 Sun Jan 07, 2018 6:57 pm

The RGEM and HRDPS at 18Z were interesting. They are showing 1-2" of snow for much of the region tomorrow evening.

Math23x7
Wx Statistician Guru
Wx Statistician Guru

Back to top Go down

Post by aiannone Sun Jan 07, 2018 7:09 pm

Something to think of for tmw..... So current forecast is for coastal regions to crack freezing, but i remain skeptical. I just measured pavement temp which is around 13 here. Then i shot the laser at the snow pack. Temp is 0.1 degrees. That is going to create issues trying to get above freezing tomorrow. It's basically going to act like a giant cooler. Plus, add in the fact that the southerly winds will be blowing across the frozen great south bay that has a snowpack on top of it.

Senior Enthusiast - Mod
Senior Enthusiast - Mod

Back to top Go down

Post by billg315 Sun Jan 07, 2018 7:17 pm

WINTER WEATHER ADVISORY IN EFFECT FROM 1 PM TO 9 PM EST MONDAY...

* WHAT...A wintry mix of precipitation is expected. Periods of
light freezing rain, sleet and snow are anticipated. A few
hundredths of an inch of ice will likely accumulate on untreated roads and walkways. Also, there may be a few tenths of an inch of sleet and snow.

* WHERE...Southeastern Pennsylvania, central and southwestern New Jersey, northern Delaware and far northeastern Maryland.

* WHEN...Monday afternoon and Monday evening, including the Monday evening commute.

* ADDITIONAL DETAILS...Ice will likely create hazardous
conditions on area roads and walkways. Icy conditions are
expected to continue on Monday night and Tuesday morning as temperatures remain below freezing.
billg315
billg315
Advanced Forecaster - Mod

Back to top Go down

Post by aiannone Sun Jan 07, 2018 7:21 pm

billg315 wrote:WINTER WEATHER ADVISORY IN EFFECT FROM 1 PM TO 9 PM EST MONDAY...

hundredths of an inch of ice will likely accumulate on untreated roads and walkways. Also, there may be a few tenths of an inch of sleet and snow.

* WHERE...Southeastern Pennsylvania, central and southwestern New Jersey, northern Delaware and far northeastern Maryland.

* WHEN...Monday afternoon and Monday evening, including the Monday evening commute.

expected to continue on Monday night and Tuesday morning as temperatures remain below freezing.
Upton said in their AFD that they will wait for the morning shift to make the decision on a WWA

Senior Enthusiast - Mod
Senior Enthusiast - Mod

Back to top Go down

Post by billg315 Sun Jan 07, 2018 7:23 pm

aiannone wrote:Something to think of for tmw..... So current forecast is for coastal regions to crack freezing, but i remain skeptical. I just measured pavement temp which is around 13 here. Then i shot the laser at the snow pack. Temp is 0.1 degrees. That is going to create issues trying to get above freezing tomorrow. It's basically going to act like a giant cooler. Plus, add in the fact that the southerly winds will be blowing across the frozen great south bay that has a snowpack on top of it.

I don’t think many people break freezing tomorrow. Cold surface low temps, snowpack, ice cold water temps, and cloudy skies all day. I think we stay below freezing most places which is why I think in areas where warm air filters in aloft and changes snow to liquid we may have freezing rain issues in many areas tomorrow afternoon/evening.
billg315
billg315

Back to top Go down

Post by billg315 Sun Jan 07, 2018 7:24 pm

aiannone wrote:
billg315 wrote:WINTER WEATHER ADVISORY IN EFFECT FROM 1 PM TO 9 PM EST MONDAY...

Upton said in their AFD that they will wait for the morning shift to make the decision on a WWA

Yeah I guess Mount Holly is more convinced of ice issues, which is odd since they’re coverage area is furthe south and likely marginally warmer.
billg315
billg315

Back to top Go down

Post by aiannone Sun Jan 07, 2018 7:30 pm

billg315 wrote:
aiannone wrote:Something to think of for tmw..... So current forecast is for coastal regions to crack freezing, but i remain skeptical. I just measured pavement temp which is around 13 here. Then i shot the laser at the snow pack. Temp is 0.1 degrees. That is going to create issues trying to get above freezing tomorrow. It's basically going to act like a giant cooler. Plus, add in the fact that the southerly winds will be blowing across the frozen great south bay that has a snowpack on top of it.

I don’t think many people break freezing tomorrow. Cold surface low temps, snowpack, ice cold water temps, and cloudy skies all day. I think we stay below freezing most places which is why I think in areas where warm air filters in aloft and changes snow to liquid we may have freezing rain issues in many areas tomorrow afternoon/evening.

Agreed, usually the wind of the warmer waters overcome the snowpack, but the water temps around LI are either frozen or the ocean temp is below freezing, something our forecasters arent used too, so we will see if it holds surprises

Senior Enthusiast - Mod
Senior Enthusiast - Mod

Back to top Go down

Post by billg315 Sun Jan 07, 2018 7:34 pm

Yeah a southeast flow with below freezing ocean temps (28.9 water temp at Montauk and 29.8 at Sandy Hook) isn’t going to warm things up as quickly as it would with an “average”Jan ocean temp of 37.
billg315
billg315

Back to top Go down

Post by weatherwatchermom Sun Jan 07, 2018 7:42 pm

billg315 wrote:Yeah a southeast flow with below freezing ocean temps (28.9 water temp at Montauk and 29.8 at Sandy Hook) isn’t going to warm things up as quickly as it would with an “average”Jan ocean temp of 37.

I agree with you...did you see the pics I posted above that is at the tip of Sandy Hook...there was nothing moving...totally frozen!! as mentioned I have been living here 15 years and have never seen it frozen just like this...
weatherwatchermom
weatherwatchermom
Senior Enthusiast
Senior Enthusiast

Back to top Go down

Post by billg315 Sun Jan 07, 2018 7:44 pm

weatherwatchermom wrote:
billg315 wrote:Yeah a southeast flow with below freezing ocean temps (28.9 water temp at Montauk and 29.8 at Sandy Hook) isn’t going to warm things up as quickly as it would with an “average”Jan ocean temp of 37.

yep...I am with you ...did you see the pics I posted above that is at the tip of Sandy Hook...there was nothing moving...totally frozen!! as mentioned I have been living here 15 years and have never seen it frozen just like this...

Yeah those pics are incredible. I was in Philly today and the Delaware River was frozen, but that’s not that unusual. When waters that close to the ocean start freezing that’s crazy
billg315
billg315

Back to top Go down

Post by weatherwatchermom Sun Jan 07, 2018 9:12 pm

Alise Finch on 1055(cbs) just posted that some will get a coating to and inch and Central Jersey could have a glaze of ice around commute time tomorrow..
weatherwatchermom
weatherwatchermom
Senior Enthusiast
Senior Enthusiast

Back to top Go down

Post by weatherwatchermom Sun Jan 07, 2018 9:15 pm

Radz wrote:
CPcantmeasuresnow wrote:

i stand corrected...

Thanks I knew someone would correct me if I was wrong...question, what year was the 16 days.
weatherwatchermom
weatherwatchermom
Senior Enthusiast
Senior Enthusiast

Back to top Go down

Post by Radz Sun Jan 07, 2018 10:18 pm

weatherwatchermom wrote:
Radz wrote:
CPcantmeasuresnow wrote:

i stand corrected...

Thanks I knew someone would correct me if I was wrong...question, what year was the 16 days.

16 days ended Feb 2, 1961
Radz
Radz
Pro Enthusiast
Pro Enthusiast

Back to top Go down

Post by Math23x7 Sun Jan 07, 2018 10:36 pm

RGEM looks interesting for tomorrow evening:

January Obs and Discussions  - Page 4 Rgemwi10

Math23x7
Wx Statistician Guru
Wx Statistician Guru

Back to top Go down

Post by docstox12 Mon Jan 08, 2018 5:24 am

Radz wrote:
weatherwatchermom wrote:
Radz wrote:
CPcantmeasuresnow wrote:

i stand corrected...

Hmmmmmmmmmmmmm. Maybe the sands of time have covered up my memory, but I had thought Central Park hit the low of -2 that night and then the Feb 3-Feb4 snowstorm hit.During the middle of that storm, late at night, their was a brief period of mixing, but it went right back to all snow.I don't think it rose above 32 then.My memory tells me the streak was broken at 16 days a day or two after the storm.As a matter of fact,that 16 day streak was followed by milder conditions with only an inch or 2 of snow right through to spring.However, the period from Dec 11 1960 through Feb 4 1961 had three major snowstorms of 16 plus inches, smaller ones of 3 to 4 and that 16 day sub freezing stretch.Central Park ended with 54 inches of snow, an amazing winter.
docstox12
docstox12
Wx Statistician Guru
Wx Statistician Guru

Back to top Go down

Post by Radz Mon Jan 08, 2018 7:15 am

docstox12 wrote:
Radz wrote:
weatherwatchermom wrote:
Radz wrote:
CPcantmeasuresnow wrote:

i stand corrected...

Hmmmmmmmmmmmmm. Maybe the sands of time have covered up my memory, but I had thought Central Park hit the low of -2 that night and then the Feb 3-Feb4 snowstorm hit.During the middle of that storm, late at night, their was a brief period of mixing, but it went right back to all snow.I don't think it rose above 32 then.My memory tells me the streak was broken at 16 days a day or two after the storm.As a matter of fact,that 16 day streak was followed by milder conditions with only an inch or 2 of snow right through to spring.However, the period from Dec 11 1960 through Feb 4 1961 had three major snowstorms of 16 plus inches, smaller ones of 3 to 4 and that 16 day sub freezing stretch.Central Park ended with 54 inches of snow, an amazing winter.

I will take your memories over most other sources about such weather history any day! NWS NY, NY does have the dates listed as Jan 19th-Feb 3rd 1961 as being the 16 day stretch. Trying to find a definitive answer, I've found 3 different charts with 3 different ending dates...
Radz
Radz
Pro Enthusiast
Pro Enthusiast

Back to top Go down

Post by Frank_Wx Mon Jan 08, 2018 7:28 am

A burst of snow (freezing rain / mixed precip for central/southern NJ) is expected later today. Timing is not great. Commute home will be slick. It could accumulate rather quickly given the frozen ground. Maybe a quick inch in some places. But it will be light and very fast moving.

January Obs and Discussions  - Page 4 Gfs_mslp_pcpn_frzn_neus_3

We warm up the rest of the week. Back above freezing and maybe even hitting 50's on Friday. Rain likely Friday and Saturday.

CLICK HERE to view NJ Strong Snowstorm Classifications
Frank_Wx
Frank_Wx
Godzilla Seeker
Godzilla Seeker

http://njstrongweather.blogspot.com/

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 4 of 13 Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5 ... 11, 12, 13  Next