NJ Strong Weather Forum


Join the forum, it's quick and easy

NJ Strong Weather Forum
NJ Strong Weather Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

January 16th-17th Snow Event

+31
Radz
ak926
Vinnydula
essexcountypete
Dunnzoo
Taffy
jldio
bobjohnsonforthehall
Dtone
King-Ubas
NjWeatherGuy
2004blackwrx
weatherwatchermom
CPcantmeasuresnow
frank 638
algae888
dkodgis
billg315
Math23x7
Snow88
RJB8525
hyde345
jimv45
rb924119
jmanley32
amugs
aiannone
mikeypizano
docstox12
sroc4
Frank_Wx
35 posters

Page 13 of 15 Previous  1 ... 8 ... 12, 13, 14, 15  Next

Go down

January 16th-17th Snow Event - Page 13 Empty Re: January 16th-17th Snow Event

Post by rb924119 Wed Jan 17, 2018 3:45 pm

And thank you, mugsy. I appreciate that Smile I think Frank pretty much nailed this one nearly perfectly, so great work buddy!!!

rb924119
Meteorologist
Meteorologist

Posts : 5581
Reputation : 191
Join date : 2013-02-06
Age : 29
Location : Parents: Greentown, Pa/Me: L.B.I., NJ

Back to top Go down

January 16th-17th Snow Event - Page 13 Empty Re: January 16th-17th Snow Event

Post by Guest Wed Jan 17, 2018 3:49 pm

When frank puts up a scroll with amounts and doesn't change it or post in 3 days. He's pretty confident

Guest
Guest


Back to top Go down

January 16th-17th Snow Event - Page 13 Empty Re: January 16th-17th Snow Event

Post by CPcantmeasuresnow Wed Jan 17, 2018 4:40 pm

@rb924119 wrote:4.3" total here in Fishkill. My parents back home in NEPA had almost 8". My dad just measured 7.3" about an hour ago, so accounting for compaction would probably put them in the 7.6-7.9" range, approximately. Unfortunately, I had to leave yesterday to make sure I could be here (Fishkill) to work tonight, so I couldn't play in it Mad

And everyone within ten miles of you in Fishkill is reporting 6-8 inches including trained spotters. Where do you live, below sea level?

You are a great meteorologist but your snow measuring capabilities are in serious question, but better than Syos.


Last edited by CPcantmeasuresnow on Wed Jan 17, 2018 5:39 pm; edited 1 time in total
CPcantmeasuresnow
CPcantmeasuresnow
Wx Statistician Guru
Wx Statistician Guru

Posts : 6662
Reputation : 230
Join date : 2013-01-07
Age : 100
Location : Eastern Orange County, NY

Back to top Go down

January 16th-17th Snow Event - Page 13 Empty Re: January 16th-17th Snow Event

Post by weatherwatchermom Wed Jan 17, 2018 4:44 pm

wow..what a surprise today I came home specifically after it stopped snowing to take a measurement and we had almost 1.5 inches. Happy to have snow on the ground right now.. party
weatherwatchermom
weatherwatchermom
Pro Enthusiast
Pro Enthusiast

Posts : 3051
Reputation : 77
Join date : 2014-11-25
Age : 57
Location : Hazlet Township

Back to top Go down

January 16th-17th Snow Event - Page 13 Empty Re: January 16th-17th Snow Event

Post by weatherwatchermom Wed Jan 17, 2018 4:45 pm

@aiannone wrote:
@weatherwatchermom wrote:
@aiannone wrote:Well well. I couldn’t stand my rain so I got on the northern state going west. As soon as I crossed the Nassau border sign snowflakes began mixing in. Now I got off at exit 36 on the syosset exit and all snow. Horsesh*t

Ha Ha you are hilarious!! be careful out there...when you do you go back to school?

I graduated this past December. I will be going back in August for grad school for 1 year. But in the meantime I am studying each day for the CPA

sorry I missed that news! Congratulations!! and good luck...my father and brother are cpa's....not an easy test
weatherwatchermom
weatherwatchermom
Pro Enthusiast
Pro Enthusiast

Posts : 3051
Reputation : 77
Join date : 2014-11-25
Age : 57
Location : Hazlet Township

Back to top Go down

January 16th-17th Snow Event - Page 13 Empty Re: January 16th-17th Snow Event

Post by CPcantmeasuresnow Wed Jan 17, 2018 5:04 pm

@docstox12 wrote:
@CPcantmeasuresnow wrote:Had to leave at 7:00 this morning so I’ll go with Docs final tally of 3.4 inches.

Weird storm snowed for hours 10-15 miles north and west and nothing here. Sometimes you will n sometimes you lose. Anyway happy for Hyde, Jim, Damian and all the others in north orange dutchess and ulster that jack potted with 5-8.

Brings the seasons total to 23.8. A little above normal for the date so no complaints.

CP, there was about 1/8 inch more after I measured and shoveled so bring that to 3.52 .Now, here's my problem.The NWS trained spotter for Monroe has 5 inches but my ruler told me 3.52 total.There are some pretty high hills in town , I'm in a kind of a valley, but a 1.58 inch discrepancy seems high.Anyhoo, I have to go with what I saw and measured with my eyes.

I measured 4.1 inches when I got home just now Doc, add a couple of tenths for compacting during the day and 4.3 inches seems fair.

I just noticed the trained spotter in Monroe recorded 6.0 inches today. I'm definitely not seeing that so don't know where he or she is measuring.
CPcantmeasuresnow
CPcantmeasuresnow
Wx Statistician Guru
Wx Statistician Guru

Posts : 6662
Reputation : 230
Join date : 2013-01-07
Age : 100
Location : Eastern Orange County, NY

Back to top Go down

January 16th-17th Snow Event - Page 13 Empty Re: January 16th-17th Snow Event

Post by GreyBeard Wed Jan 17, 2018 5:08 pm

[quote="syosnow94"] GreyBeard I gotta say you were kinda right. My school got 1 1/2". I drove home 11 miles east and there's zero. So I get why you questioned me. There was no snow within 1 mile of where I work. Below is s picture of a parking lot at 2:45 at my school after a lot of melting. In the future I don't lie about snow.


It's all good syo. Just bustin' yer chops a little. Amazing how much difference there was in just a few miles. Didn't realize you weren't in Syosset,which is where I thought was where you were posting about.

GreyBeard
Pro Enthusiast
Pro Enthusiast

Posts : 602
Reputation : 34
Join date : 2014-02-12
Location : eastern nassau county

Back to top Go down

January 16th-17th Snow Event - Page 13 Empty Re: January 16th-17th Snow Event

Post by CPcantmeasuresnow Wed Jan 17, 2018 5:10 pm

@GreyBeard wrote:
syosnow94 wrote:I’m at work in Great Neck 8 miles west of you.  My son at school in Syosset says the ground is white?


I'm not trying to argue with you, I'm just saying there is nothing on the ground where I am right now. I guess you were in a good spot in Great Neck as noted by your pic. It will all be just a memory by the weekend anyway.

This is nothing short of scandalous.

After the 18 inch fiasco from the January 4 storm which you later had to revise to 15 inches when no place in Long Island recorded 18 inches this is not a good follow-up.

We have a snowgate here and I'm very troubled by it. If we all can't give accurate and trustworthy snow measurements how will we ever survive as a country. upset upset
CPcantmeasuresnow
CPcantmeasuresnow
Wx Statistician Guru
Wx Statistician Guru

Posts : 6662
Reputation : 230
Join date : 2013-01-07
Age : 100
Location : Eastern Orange County, NY

Back to top Go down

January 16th-17th Snow Event - Page 13 Empty Re: January 16th-17th Snow Event

Post by SnowForest Wed Jan 17, 2018 5:49 pm

A full inch of snow is on the ground here. This may be a dumb question, but it's something I have always wondered about. How much of a difference can 200-300 feet of elevation make in snowfall totals? For example, it snows in a city at sea level and a city 250 feet above sea level. They are both equally inland, but one city is situated on higher land. Is that enough to add an inch or so to the total? Thanks in advance.

SnowForest

Posts : 36
Reputation : 4
Join date : 2017-12-19
Location : South NJ

Back to top Go down

January 16th-17th Snow Event - Page 13 Empty Re: January 16th-17th Snow Event

Post by sroc4 Wed Jan 17, 2018 5:49 pm

@rb924119 wrote:And thank you, mugsy. I appreciate that Smile I think Frank pretty much nailed this one nearly perfectly, so great work buddy!!!

Nope he missed the warm nose into the immediate coast. He refused to acknowledge it so therefore its a complete bust in my book. told ya


_________________
"In weather and in life, there's no winning and losing; there's only winning and learning."
WINTER 2012/2013 TOTALS 43.65"WINTER 2017/2018 TOTALS 62.85"      
WINTER 2013/2014 TOTALS 64.85"WINTER 2018/2019 TOTALS 14.25"
WINTER 2014/2015 TOTALS 71.20"WINTER 2019/2020 TOTALS 6.35"
WINTER 2015/2016 TOTALS 35.00"WINTER 2020/2021 TOTALS 37.75"
WINTER 2016/2017 TOTALS 42.25"WINTER 2021/2022 TOTALS 0.00 
sroc4
sroc4
Admin
Admin

Posts : 7026
Reputation : 292
Join date : 2013-01-07
Location : Wading River, LI

Back to top Go down

January 16th-17th Snow Event - Page 13 Empty Re: January 16th-17th Snow Event

Post by CPcantmeasuresnow Wed Jan 17, 2018 5:53 pm

And the final tally for that place in Massachuseets, that many always allude to as the place that will get CRUSHED on the fantasy maps from this storm.

The final tally for you know where is?

Envelope please. A staggering 1.7 inches.

I rest my case.
CPcantmeasuresnow
CPcantmeasuresnow
Wx Statistician Guru
Wx Statistician Guru

Posts : 6662
Reputation : 230
Join date : 2013-01-07
Age : 100
Location : Eastern Orange County, NY

Back to top Go down

January 16th-17th Snow Event - Page 13 Empty Re: January 16th-17th Snow Event

Post by aiannone Wed Jan 17, 2018 6:04 pm

Everything icing up now. Driveway was a sheet of ice. Had to throw down salt. Watch out on untreated roads tonight
aiannone
aiannone
Advanced Forecaster
Advanced Forecaster

Posts : 4288
Reputation : 89
Join date : 2013-01-07
Location : Saint James, LI (Northwest Suffolk Co.)

Back to top Go down

January 16th-17th Snow Event - Page 13 Empty Re: January 16th-17th Snow Event

Post by rb924119 Wed Jan 17, 2018 6:13 pm

@CPcantmeasuresnow wrote:
@rb924119 wrote:4.3" total here in Fishkill. My parents back home in NEPA had almost 8". My dad just measured 7.3" about an hour ago, so accounting for compaction would probably put them in the 7.6-7.9" range, approximately. Unfortunately, I had to leave yesterday to make sure I could be here (Fishkill) to work tonight, so I couldn't play in it Mad

And everyone within ten miles of you in Fishkill is reporting 6-8 inches including trained spotters. Where do you live, below sea level?

You are a great meteorologist but your snow measuring capabilities are in serious question, but better than Syos.

CP, if there's any way I would want to "adjust" my totals, wouldn't an upward adjustment make more sense? I mean, you know how much of a snow weenie I am ahaha besides, somebody else on here measured 4" in Wappinger, which is about 7-10 minutes from me, so my measurement has precedent. I just forget who it was lol Hopewell Junction, where I work, doesn't even have that!!! 3-3.5" by my eye, right near the East Fishkill line. This was a very, very weird storm. Totals are so spotty. I'm disappointed you would question my measuring skills, though :/ this makes me sad aha Poughkeepsie got like 7" though from what my coworkers have told me, which makes sense given how the radar looked. There was a definite stationary band that cut southwest-northeast from eastern Pa right through northwestern Litchfield County and into southwestern Mass. so that would explain that. But even under that band totals weren't consistent st all. Very odd.

rb924119
Meteorologist
Meteorologist

Posts : 5581
Reputation : 191
Join date : 2013-02-06
Age : 29
Location : Parents: Greentown, Pa/Me: L.B.I., NJ

Back to top Go down

January 16th-17th Snow Event - Page 13 Empty Re: January 16th-17th Snow Event

Post by rb924119 Wed Jan 17, 2018 6:19 pm

@sroc4 wrote:
@rb924119 wrote:And thank you, mugsy. I appreciate that Smile I think Frank pretty much nailed this one nearly perfectly, so great work buddy!!!

Nope he missed the warm nose into the immediate coast.  He refused to acknowledge it so therefore its a complete bust in my book.   told ya


Yeeshhhh, tough crowd ahahahaha

rb924119
Meteorologist
Meteorologist

Posts : 5581
Reputation : 191
Join date : 2013-02-06
Age : 29
Location : Parents: Greentown, Pa/Me: L.B.I., NJ

Back to top Go down

January 16th-17th Snow Event - Page 13 Empty Re: January 16th-17th Snow Event

Post by jimv45 Wed Jan 17, 2018 6:21 pm

I am in Hopewell jct and have 5.5, I know Hopewell is pretty large but something is wrong with your info.

jimv45
Pro Enthusiast
Pro Enthusiast

Posts : 1142
Reputation : 36
Join date : 2013-09-20
Location : Ulster county ny

Back to top Go down

January 16th-17th Snow Event - Page 13 Empty Re: January 16th-17th Snow Event

Post by jimv45 Wed Jan 17, 2018 6:34 pm

cp as soon as the weather service moved us to a winter storm warning i knew we were doomed. 3-6 was the right call by Frank and hyde was the winner with 8 I think, down the street from me in fishkill my friend got just over 4 so there was cutoffs everywhere.

jimv45
Pro Enthusiast
Pro Enthusiast

Posts : 1142
Reputation : 36
Join date : 2013-09-20
Location : Ulster county ny

Back to top Go down

January 16th-17th Snow Event - Page 13 Empty Re: January 16th-17th Snow Event

Post by Guest Wed Jan 17, 2018 7:09 pm

Just got home from my daughters gymnastics meet and was greeted by a 20 minute Blinding snow squall. Dropped 2 quick inches. cheers

Guest
Guest


Back to top Go down

January 16th-17th Snow Event - Page 13 Empty Re: January 16th-17th Snow Event

Post by rb924119 Wed Jan 17, 2018 7:36 pm

@jimv45 wrote:I am in Hopewell jct and have 5.5, I know Hopewell is pretty large but something is wrong with your info.

I've got a pretty good eye when it comes to snow amounts (though admittedly that's entirely subjective because you don't know me) but there's no way they got 5"+ at my work lol I'd be willing to say 3.5" to account for compaction, but that's the max. I walked through virgin snow and it didn't even break the plane of the top of the foot portion of my boots lol if it was 5.5", it would have been halfway up the sides of them, as I have 9" loggers on.

rb924119
Meteorologist
Meteorologist

Posts : 5581
Reputation : 191
Join date : 2013-02-06
Age : 29
Location : Parents: Greentown, Pa/Me: L.B.I., NJ

Back to top Go down

January 16th-17th Snow Event - Page 13 Empty Re: January 16th-17th Snow Event

Post by jimv45 Wed Jan 17, 2018 7:56 pm

I don't know what part of hopewell you are in but i just went back out to make sure I wasn't to drunk the first time I checked and 5.5 and 5.3 so 5.4! You might want to check your shoes next time HA HA.

jimv45
Pro Enthusiast
Pro Enthusiast

Posts : 1142
Reputation : 36
Join date : 2013-09-20
Location : Ulster county ny

Back to top Go down

January 16th-17th Snow Event - Page 13 Empty Re: January 16th-17th Snow Event

Post by CPcantmeasuresnow Wed Jan 17, 2018 8:18 pm

@rb924119 wrote:
@CPcantmeasuresnow wrote:
@rb924119 wrote:4.3" total here in Fishkill. My parents back home in NEPA had almost 8". My dad just measured 7.3" about an hour ago, so accounting for compaction would probably put them in the 7.6-7.9" range, approximately. Unfortunately, I had to leave yesterday to make sure I could be here (Fishkill) to work tonight, so I couldn't play in it Mad

And everyone within ten miles of you in Fishkill is reporting 6-8 inches including trained spotters. Where do you live, below sea level?

You are a great meteorologist but your snow measuring capabilities are in serious question, but better than Syos.

CP, if there's any way I would want to "adjust" my totals, wouldn't an upward adjustment make more sense? I mean, you know how much of a snow weenie I am ahaha besides, somebody else on here measured 4" in Wappinger, which is about 7-10 minutes from me, so my measurement has precedent. I just forget who it was lol Hopewell Junction, where I work, doesn't even have that!!! 3-3.5" by my eye, right near the East Fishkill line. This was a very, very weird storm. Totals are so spotty. I'm disappointed you would question my measuring skills, though :/ this makes me sad aha Poughkeepsie got like 7" though from what my coworkers have told me, which makes sense given how the radar looked. There was a definite stationary band that cut southwest-northeast from eastern Pa right through northwestern Litchfield County and into southwestern Mass. so that would explain that. But even under that band totals weren't consistent st all. Very odd.

We're entering a weather lull and I thought the board needed some juice. Nothing like a good measuring controversy.

Let's face it though Syos is the worst measurer (is that a word) of all time. Worse than even RB Wink Wink Wink Wink
CPcantmeasuresnow
CPcantmeasuresnow
Wx Statistician Guru
Wx Statistician Guru

Posts : 6662
Reputation : 230
Join date : 2013-01-07
Age : 100
Location : Eastern Orange County, NY

Back to top Go down

January 16th-17th Snow Event - Page 13 Empty Re: January 16th-17th Snow Event

Post by CPcantmeasuresnow Wed Jan 17, 2018 8:28 pm

syosnow94 wrote:Just got home from my daughters gymnastics meet and was greeted by a 20 minute Blinding snow squall.  Dropped 2 quick inches.  cheers

I'm not sure if you're aware but you forgot to put a 0 and a decimal point in front of the two.
CPcantmeasuresnow
CPcantmeasuresnow
Wx Statistician Guru
Wx Statistician Guru

Posts : 6662
Reputation : 230
Join date : 2013-01-07
Age : 100
Location : Eastern Orange County, NY

Back to top Go down

January 16th-17th Snow Event - Page 13 Empty Re: January 16th-17th Snow Event

Post by jimv45 Wed Jan 17, 2018 8:31 pm

Yea cp with the boring weather coming up we got his boots and my ruler, hey its all fun.

jimv45
Pro Enthusiast
Pro Enthusiast

Posts : 1142
Reputation : 36
Join date : 2013-09-20
Location : Ulster county ny

Back to top Go down

January 16th-17th Snow Event - Page 13 Empty Re: January 16th-17th Snow Event

Post by CPcantmeasuresnow Wed Jan 17, 2018 8:39 pm

@jimv45 wrote:Yea cp with the boring weather coming up we got his boots and my ruler, hey its all fun.

Thumbs up Thumbs up

I would hope none of us take this to serious. We are talking snow measurements here not race, religion or politics.
CPcantmeasuresnow
CPcantmeasuresnow
Wx Statistician Guru
Wx Statistician Guru

Posts : 6662
Reputation : 230
Join date : 2013-01-07
Age : 100
Location : Eastern Orange County, NY

Back to top Go down

January 16th-17th Snow Event - Page 13 Empty Re: January 16th-17th Snow Event

Post by amugs Wed Jan 17, 2018 8:46 pm

My snow ruler st are ts at the 2" mark!!

_________________
Mugs 
AKA:King: Snow Weenie
Self Proclaimed
WINTER 2014-15 : 55.12" +.02 for 6 coatings (avg. 35")
WINTER 2015-16 Total - 29.8" (Avg 35")
WINTER 2016-17 : 39.5" so far
amugs
amugs
Advanced Forecaster - Mod
Advanced Forecaster - Mod

Posts : 12617
Reputation : 212
Join date : 2013-01-07
Age : 51
Location : Hillsdale,NJ

Back to top Go down

January 16th-17th Snow Event - Page 13 Empty Re: January 16th-17th Snow Event

Post by Guest Wed Jan 17, 2018 9:49 pm

@CPcantmeasuresnow wrote:
@jimv45 wrote:Yea cp with the boring weather coming up we got his boots and my ruler, hey its all fun.

Thumbs up Thumbs up

I would hope none of us take this to serious. We are talking snow measurements here not race, religion or politics.

I’m offended. Seriously! You’re invading my snow safe space! Im going to protest by Marching and blocking traffic in Manhattan. Then when that’s over I am going to re-institute the former zookeeper as CPK’s official snow reporter and buy myself a flamethrower which I will drive around with in a Orange County melting all the snow I see.

Guest
Guest


Back to top Go down

January 16th-17th Snow Event - Page 13 Empty Re: January 16th-17th Snow Event

Post by Sponsored content


Sponsored content


Back to top Go down

Page 13 of 15 Previous  1 ... 8 ... 12, 13, 14, 15  Next

Back to top


 
Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum