NJ Strong Weather Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Feb. 11-12 2019 Wintry Mix Event

Page 9 of 16 Previous  1 ... 6 ... 8, 9, 10 ... 12 ... 16  Next

Go down

Feb. 11-12 2019 Wintry Mix Event - Page 9 Empty Re: Feb. 11-12 2019 Wintry Mix Event

Post by billg315 on Tue Feb 12, 2019 6:08 am

And i have the same concern as Al. Some rain and frz rain are already pretty far north. In the November storm the first thing that caught my attention was how long the cold/snow hung in around DC and Philly. Looks like they’re going to changeover more quickly this time.
billg315
billg315
Advanced Forecaster - Mod
Advanced Forecaster - Mod

Posts : 3005
Reputation : 162
Join date : 2015-01-24
Age : 46
Location : Somerville, NJ

Back to top Go down

Feb. 11-12 2019 Wintry Mix Event - Page 9 Empty Re: Feb. 11-12 2019 Wintry Mix Event

Post by billg315 on Tue Feb 12, 2019 6:10 am

All of that said, nothing has happened so far that is drastically out of line with what most models showed yesterday so let’s just wait and see where the day takes us.
billg315
billg315
Advanced Forecaster - Mod
Advanced Forecaster - Mod

Posts : 3005
Reputation : 162
Join date : 2015-01-24
Age : 46
Location : Somerville, NJ

Back to top Go down

Feb. 11-12 2019 Wintry Mix Event - Page 9 Empty Re: Feb. 11-12 2019 Wintry Mix Event

Post by Taffy on Tue Feb 12, 2019 6:29 am

32 with real feel of 22. Winds are whipping 16mph and steady from ENE. Dewpoint 13.
Taffy
Taffy
Pro Enthusiast
Pro Enthusiast

Posts : 497
Reputation : 14
Join date : 2013-10-06
Location : Westfield, NJ. Union County

Back to top Go down

Feb. 11-12 2019 Wintry Mix Event - Page 9 Empty Re: Feb. 11-12 2019 Wintry Mix Event

Post by billg315 on Tue Feb 12, 2019 6:45 am

31* and wind is whipping here too. Much windier than I had expected. Here is the radar. Snow is starting to fill into our south and west. To the naked eye it looks very similar to how the NAM had it progressing on yesterday’s runs:
Feb. 11-12 2019 Wintry Mix Event - Page 9 94982810
billg315
billg315
Advanced Forecaster - Mod
Advanced Forecaster - Mod

Posts : 3005
Reputation : 162
Join date : 2015-01-24
Age : 46
Location : Somerville, NJ

Back to top Go down

Feb. 11-12 2019 Wintry Mix Event - Page 9 Empty Re: Feb. 11-12 2019 Wintry Mix Event

Post by heehaw453 on Tue Feb 12, 2019 7:05 am

Nws still keeping warnings and amounts as is, interesting.

27 with moderate snow. About an inch so far.

heehaw453

Posts : 816
Reputation : 69
Join date : 2014-01-20
Location : Bedminster Township, PA

Back to top Go down

Feb. 11-12 2019 Wintry Mix Event - Page 9 Empty Re: Feb. 11-12 2019 Wintry Mix Event

Post by algae888 on Tue Feb 12, 2019 7:12 am

Currently 27° -1 dew point which I'm astonished by Radar really blossoming now. I think areas north and west of New York City even my area which is close to the city is going to see mainly Frozen precipitation from this system while the upper levels will get too warm for snow there's no way the low-level cold is going to be scoured out so I'm expecting snow sleet freezing rain dry slot and then a Squall line with rain as the front moves through late tonight and early Wednesday with the cold front. Fun tracking this 1
algae888
algae888
Advanced Forecaster
Advanced Forecaster

Posts : 5047
Reputation : 44
Join date : 2013-02-05
Age : 58
Location : mt. vernon, new york

Back to top Go down

Feb. 11-12 2019 Wintry Mix Event - Page 9 Empty Re: Feb. 11-12 2019 Wintry Mix Event

Post by billg315 on Tue Feb 12, 2019 7:14 am

Current radar. Largely filled in now:
Feb. 11-12 2019 Wintry Mix Event - Page 9 5beaa810
billg315
billg315
Advanced Forecaster - Mod
Advanced Forecaster - Mod

Posts : 3005
Reputation : 162
Join date : 2015-01-24
Age : 46
Location : Somerville, NJ

Back to top Go down

Feb. 11-12 2019 Wintry Mix Event - Page 9 Empty Re: Feb. 11-12 2019 Wintry Mix Event

Post by Frank_Wx on Tue Feb 12, 2019 7:16 am

Lets see how long the cold air holds. Radar looks ok to.me

https://radar.weather.gov/ridge/Conus/northeast_loop.php

_________________
_______________________________________________________________________________________________________

CLICK HERE to view NJ Strong Snowstorm Classifications
Frank_Wx
Frank_Wx
Godzilla Seeker
Godzilla Seeker

Posts : 18968
Reputation : 293
Join date : 2013-01-05
Age : 28
Location : Morris Plain, NJ

http://njstrongweather.blogspot.com/

Back to top Go down

Feb. 11-12 2019 Wintry Mix Event - Page 9 Empty Re: Feb. 11-12 2019 Wintry Mix Event

Post by billg315 on Tue Feb 12, 2019 7:19 am

Light snow has just started here at 7:15. Temp 30*
billg315
billg315
Advanced Forecaster - Mod
Advanced Forecaster - Mod

Posts : 3005
Reputation : 162
Join date : 2015-01-24
Age : 46
Location : Somerville, NJ

Back to top Go down

Feb. 11-12 2019 Wintry Mix Event - Page 9 Empty Re: Feb. 11-12 2019 Wintry Mix Event

Post by jmanley32 on Tue Feb 12, 2019 7:24 am

Ohh I know the schol systems here are pissed to wake up to just cloudy. The time delay was for real still looks like it could be a few hours or more for nyc area. A early dismissal might have been more fitting if this holds out till 12 or so. I like Al's last post gives me hope.
jmanley32
jmanley32
Senior Enthusiast
Senior Enthusiast

Posts : 16477
Reputation : 100
Join date : 2013-12-12
Age : 39
Location : Yonkers, NY

Back to top Go down

Feb. 11-12 2019 Wintry Mix Event - Page 9 Empty Re: Feb. 11-12 2019 Wintry Mix Event

Post by jmanley32 on Tue Feb 12, 2019 7:27 am

@algae888 wrote:Currently 27° -1 dew point which I'm astonished by Radar really blossoming now. I think areas north and west of New York City even my area which is close to the city is going to see mainly Frozen precipitation from this system while the upper levels will get too warm for snow there's no way the low-level cold is going to be scoured out so I'm expecting snow sleet freezing rain dry slot and then a Squall line with rain as the front moves through late tonight and early Wednesday  with the cold front. Fun tracking this 1
Didn't you say earlier this morning you do not see it staying frozen very long as warmth will win out but now total opposite? I mean of course this post sounds great but not sure how to keep track of things lol
jmanley32
jmanley32
Senior Enthusiast
Senior Enthusiast

Posts : 16477
Reputation : 100
Join date : 2013-12-12
Age : 39
Location : Yonkers, NY

Back to top Go down

Feb. 11-12 2019 Wintry Mix Event - Page 9 Empty Re: Feb. 11-12 2019 Wintry Mix Event

Post by billg315 on Tue Feb 12, 2019 7:29 am

@jmanley32 wrote:Ohh I know the schol systems here are pissed to wake up to just cloudy.  The time delay was for real still looks like it could be a few hours or more for nyc area.  A early dismissal might have been more fitting if this holds out till 12 or so.  I like Al's last post gives me hope.

I don’t think early dismissals were the way to go with this because the worst travel will likely be between 10 am and 3 or 4 pm. It’s just one of those weird timing storms where closing even when roads are clear at the morning rush might make sense rather than having to deal with sending people home in a mess (like a November).
billg315
billg315
Advanced Forecaster - Mod
Advanced Forecaster - Mod

Posts : 3005
Reputation : 162
Join date : 2015-01-24
Age : 46
Location : Somerville, NJ

Back to top Go down

Feb. 11-12 2019 Wintry Mix Event - Page 9 Empty Re: Feb. 11-12 2019 Wintry Mix Event

Post by algae888 on Tue Feb 12, 2019 7:39 am

@jmanley32 wrote:
@algae888 wrote:Currently 27° -1 dew point which I'm astonished by Radar really blossoming now. I think areas north and west of New York City even my area which is close to the city is going to see mainly Frozen precipitation from this system while the upper levels will get too warm for snow there's no way the low-level cold is going to be scoured out so I'm expecting snow sleet freezing rain dry slot and then a Squall line with rain as the front moves through late tonight and early Wednesday  with the cold front. Fun tracking this 1
Didn't you say earlier this morning you do not see it staying frozen very long as warmth will win out but now total opposite? I mean of course this post sounds great but not sure how to keep track of things lol
This morning's response was more in regards to snow sleet and the upper levels my thinking that was we'll see prolonged freezing rain and then dry slot. Temps and dew points are surprisingly low especially dew points for our area and areas north and west
algae888
algae888
Advanced Forecaster
Advanced Forecaster

Posts : 5047
Reputation : 44
Join date : 2013-02-05
Age : 58
Location : mt. vernon, new york

Back to top Go down

Feb. 11-12 2019 Wintry Mix Event - Page 9 Empty Re: Feb. 11-12 2019 Wintry Mix Event

Post by billg315 on Tue Feb 12, 2019 7:41 am

NWS dropped my total from 4-6” to 3-5”. I still think that’s overdone. I’m now expected 1-3” with a long bout of sleet/frz rain here. This assumes I don’t get a burst of really heavy (1-2” per hour snow) right before the changeover.
billg315
billg315
Advanced Forecaster - Mod
Advanced Forecaster - Mod

Posts : 3005
Reputation : 162
Join date : 2015-01-24
Age : 46
Location : Somerville, NJ

Back to top Go down

Feb. 11-12 2019 Wintry Mix Event - Page 9 Empty Re: Feb. 11-12 2019 Wintry Mix Event

Post by docstox12 on Tue Feb 12, 2019 7:44 am

@billg315 wrote:NWS dropped my total from 4-6” to 3-5”. I still think that’s overdone. I’m now expected 1-3” with a long bout of sleet/frz rain here. This assumes I don’t get a burst of really heavy (2” per hour snow) right before the changeover.

Yes, this much later start will cost us in snow totals.They were honking 5 AM 5 AM all day yesterday.That being said, radar filling in fast with snow sleet line in Central Jersey already.19 degrees here, very calm.Should start very soon.
docstox12
docstox12
Wx Statistician Guru
Wx Statistician Guru

Posts : 6950
Reputation : 206
Join date : 2013-01-07
Age : 69
Location : Monroe NY

Back to top Go down

Feb. 11-12 2019 Wintry Mix Event - Page 9 Empty Re: Feb. 11-12 2019 Wintry Mix Event

Post by bobjohnsonforthehall on Tue Feb 12, 2019 7:44 am

Nice coating on the ground here. Been a light to moderate snow since about 7:15 or so.
bobjohnsonforthehall
bobjohnsonforthehall

Posts : 242
Reputation : 19
Join date : 2016-10-02
Location : Flemington NJ

Back to top Go down

Feb. 11-12 2019 Wintry Mix Event - Page 9 Empty Re: Feb. 11-12 2019 Wintry Mix Event

Post by heehaw453 on Tue Feb 12, 2019 7:46 am

It's already mixed with sleet here. There's warm transport much more aggressive than modeled right up to I78. I believe the surface will remain below freezing for a while. In terms of snow accumulation probably about done here; really never started to be honest.

heehaw453

Posts : 816
Reputation : 69
Join date : 2014-01-20
Location : Bedminster Township, PA

Back to top Go down

Feb. 11-12 2019 Wintry Mix Event - Page 9 Empty Re: Feb. 11-12 2019 Wintry Mix Event

Post by jmanley32 on Tue Feb 12, 2019 7:51 am

@algae888 wrote:
@jmanley32 wrote:
@algae888 wrote:Currently 27° -1 dew point which I'm astonished by Radar really blossoming now. I think areas north and west of New York City even my area which is close to the city is going to see mainly Frozen precipitation from this system while the upper levels will get too warm for snow there's no way the low-level cold is going to be scoured out so I'm expecting snow sleet freezing rain dry slot and then a Squall line with rain as the front moves through late tonight and early Wednesday  with the cold front. Fun tracking this 1
Didn't you say earlier this morning you do not see it staying frozen very long as warmth will win out but now total opposite? I mean of course this post sounds great but not sure how to keep track of things lol
This morning's response was more in regards to snow sleet and the upper levels my thinking that was we'll see prolonged freezing rain and then dry slot. Temps and dew points are surprisingly low especially dew points for our area and areas north and west
Ahhh, see heehaw he said he is already mixing and saw almost no accumulation and he is way inland in PA, not good.
jmanley32
jmanley32
Senior Enthusiast
Senior Enthusiast

Posts : 16477
Reputation : 100
Join date : 2013-12-12
Age : 39
Location : Yonkers, NY

Back to top Go down

Feb. 11-12 2019 Wintry Mix Event - Page 9 Empty Re: Feb. 11-12 2019 Wintry Mix Event

Post by algae888 on Tue Feb 12, 2019 7:53 am

A met from Chicago just posted on another board saying that the nam was the most accurate in regards to the warm nose Aloft in Chicago and areas north and west of their have seen mainly sleet and freezing rain when they were supposed to get a good thump of snow according to the other models. hopefully that's not the case here something to keep in mind still like the mostly Frozen though but can do without freezing rain
algae888
algae888
Advanced Forecaster
Advanced Forecaster

Posts : 5047
Reputation : 44
Join date : 2013-02-05
Age : 58
Location : mt. vernon, new york

Back to top Go down

Feb. 11-12 2019 Wintry Mix Event - Page 9 Empty Re: Feb. 11-12 2019 Wintry Mix Event

Post by docstox12 on Tue Feb 12, 2019 7:53 am

@jmanley32 wrote:
@algae888 wrote:
@jmanley32 wrote:
@algae888 wrote:Currently 27° -1 dew point which I'm astonished by Radar really blossoming now. I think areas north and west of New York City even my area which is close to the city is going to see mainly Frozen precipitation from this system while the upper levels will get too warm for snow there's no way the low-level cold is going to be scoured out so I'm expecting snow sleet freezing rain dry slot and then a Squall line with rain as the front moves through late tonight and early Wednesday  with the cold front. Fun tracking this 1
Didn't you say earlier this morning you do not see it staying frozen very long as warmth will win out but now total opposite? I mean of course this post sounds great but not sure how to keep track of things lol
This morning's response was more in regards to snow sleet and the upper levels my thinking that was we'll see prolonged freezing rain and then dry slot. Temps and dew points are surprisingly low especially dew points for our area and areas north and west
Ahhh, see heehaw he said he is already mixing and saw almost no accumulation and he is way inland in PA, not good.

Depends now on how that snow/sleet line stays in Central Jersey for a while.We lost 3 hours of snow time with this later start.
docstox12
docstox12
Wx Statistician Guru
Wx Statistician Guru

Posts : 6950
Reputation : 206
Join date : 2013-01-07
Age : 69
Location : Monroe NY

Back to top Go down

Feb. 11-12 2019 Wintry Mix Event - Page 9 Empty Re: Feb. 11-12 2019 Wintry Mix Event

Post by aiannone on Tue Feb 12, 2019 8:07 am

Dew point much lower than forecast in the NYC metro. Currently 27.8/9 on Long Island. That will slow the warming process at the surface. May mean prolonged ice or ZR
aiannone
aiannone
Advanced Forecaster
Advanced Forecaster

Posts : 3859
Reputation : 82
Join date : 2013-01-07
Location : Saint James, LI (Northwest Suffolk Co.)

Back to top Go down

Feb. 11-12 2019 Wintry Mix Event - Page 9 Empty Re: Feb. 11-12 2019 Wintry Mix Event

Post by jmanley32 on Tue Feb 12, 2019 8:09 am

@aiannone wrote:Dew point much lower than forecast in the NYC metro. Currently 27.8/9 on Long Island. That will slow the warming process at the surface. May mean prolonged ice or ZR
Does this have the potential to be a bad ice storm or thinking mainly sleet? 8 hrs of freezing rain would be horrible.
jmanley32
jmanley32
Senior Enthusiast
Senior Enthusiast

Posts : 16477
Reputation : 100
Join date : 2013-12-12
Age : 39
Location : Yonkers, NY

Back to top Go down

Feb. 11-12 2019 Wintry Mix Event - Page 9 Empty Re: Feb. 11-12 2019 Wintry Mix Event

Post by CPcantmeasuresnow on Tue Feb 12, 2019 8:14 am

19.0°

I just don't enjoy tracking these slop fests anymore. I suppose there's just been to many of them in the HV this year. They're starting to wear on me, and freezing rain, no thanks. My hunch is that's the majority of what we see from this abomination of a winter storm.
CPcantmeasuresnow
CPcantmeasuresnow
Wx Statistician Guru
Wx Statistician Guru

Posts : 6383
Reputation : 221
Join date : 2013-01-07
Age : 99
Location : Eastern Orange County, NY

Back to top Go down

Feb. 11-12 2019 Wintry Mix Event - Page 9 Empty Re: Feb. 11-12 2019 Wintry Mix Event

Post by billg315 on Tue Feb 12, 2019 8:15 am

29* steady light snow. Just a dusting so far. Dew point is 15*.
billg315
billg315
Advanced Forecaster - Mod
Advanced Forecaster - Mod

Posts : 3005
Reputation : 162
Join date : 2015-01-24
Age : 46
Location : Somerville, NJ

Back to top Go down

Feb. 11-12 2019 Wintry Mix Event - Page 9 Empty Re: Feb. 11-12 2019 Wintry Mix Event

Post by CPcantmeasuresnow on Tue Feb 12, 2019 8:17 am

@billg315 wrote:29* steady light snow. Just a dusting so far. Dew point is 15*.

With the dewpoint that low it will be interesting to see how low the surface temp drops when the precip picks up.
CPcantmeasuresnow
CPcantmeasuresnow
Wx Statistician Guru
Wx Statistician Guru

Posts : 6383
Reputation : 221
Join date : 2013-01-07
Age : 99
Location : Eastern Orange County, NY

Back to top Go down

Page 9 of 16 Previous  1 ... 6 ... 8, 9, 10 ... 12 ... 16  Next

Back to top


 
Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum