NJ Strong Weather Forum

Join the forum, it's quick and easy

NJ Strong Weather Forum
NJ Strong Weather Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Long Range Discussion 20(20) (Ha!)

+43
toople
TheAresian
Koroptim
Bkdude
essexcountypete
chief7
GreyBeard
crippo84
hyde345
lglickman1
Zhukov1945
bloc1357
SENJsnowman
Snow88
CPcantmeasuresnow
bobjohnsonforthehall
weatherwatchermom
skinsfan1177
billg315
SoulSingMG
phil155
aiannone
nutleyblizzard
Math23x7
Wheezer
Irish
Frank_Wx
mwilli
Grselig
Isotherm
heehaw453
jimv45
frank 638
docstox12
rb924119
sroc4
HectorO
algae888
dkodgis
Radz
jmanley32
amugs
Dunnzoo
47 posters

Page 28 of 30 Previous  1 ... 15 ... 27, 28, 29, 30  Next

Go down

Long Range Discussion 20(20)  (Ha!) - Page 28 Empty Re: Long Range Discussion 20(20) (Ha!)

Post by amugs Tue Jan 26, 2021 4:54 pm

SROC LOL!!!! cheers

amugs
Advanced Forecaster - Mod
Advanced Forecaster - Mod

Back to top Go down

Long Range Discussion 20(20)  (Ha!) - Page 28 Empty Re: Long Range Discussion 20(20) (Ha!)

Post by heehaw453 Tue Jan 26, 2021 5:21 pm

Look at the tilt of the trough on this latest GFS.  That kind of tilt is basically throwing a bucket of water over the land mass after it's been filled up in the Atlantic.  Big storm as shown and GFS is coming around to that. And no I'm not paying one bit of attention to GFS thermal profiles right now. I'm just trying to see what it's doing at the 500 mb.

What you are seeing is uncanny model agreement on a major EC storm at D5+. Details obviously are not known...

18Z GFS
Long Range Discussion 20(20)  (Ha!) - Page 28 Gfs18

heehaw453
Advanced Forecaster
Advanced Forecaster

Back to top Go down

Post by Frank_Wx Tue Jan 26, 2021 7:26 pm

heehaw453 wrote:Look at the tilt of the trough on this latest GFS.  That kind of tilt is basically throwing a bucket of water over the land mass after it's been filled up in the Atlantic.  Big storm as shown and GFS is coming around to that. And no I'm not paying one bit of attention to GFS thermal profiles right now.  I'm just trying to see what it's doing at the 500 mb.  

What you are seeing is uncanny model agreement on a major EC storm at D5+.  Details obviously are not known...

18Z GFS

It has some similarities to the storm we saw in December. I’m going to take a closer look at this one tomorrow. Not a bad spot to be in right now

CLICK HERE to view NJ Strong Snowstorm Classifications
Frank_Wx
Frank_Wx
Godzilla Seeker
Godzilla Seeker

http://njstrongweather.blogspot.com/

Back to top Go down

Post by nutleyblizzard Tue Jan 26, 2021 8:57 pm

heehaw453 wrote:Look at the tilt of the trough on this latest GFS.  That kind of tilt is basically throwing a bucket of water over the land mass after it's been filled up in the Atlantic.  Big storm as shown and GFS is coming around to that. And no I'm not paying one bit of attention to GFS thermal profiles right now.  I'm just trying to see what it's doing at the 500 mb.  

What you are seeing is uncanny model agreement on a major EC storm at D5+.  Details obviously are not known...

18Z GFS
Pretty impressive signal for 5 days out but the ultimate phase of the storm to me looks sloppy. Even so we end up with a general 6-12. If we can get a bit more robust ridge and or sharper trough we would get a cleaner phase and a crawling sub 970 beast on our hands. Something to look for in future runs.
nutleyblizzard
nutleyblizzard
Senior Enthusiast
Senior Enthusiast

Back to top Go down

Post by Irish Tue Jan 26, 2021 9:25 pm

Calling rb, what are your thoughts for the possibility of a storm Sunday- Tuesday?
Irish
Irish
Pro Enthusiast
Pro Enthusiast

Back to top Go down

Post by Fededle22 Tue Jan 26, 2021 10:24 pm

Can't wait to see more expert analysis on this latest snow chance. I'm just curious. I see everyone posting about the GFS maps and runs that are pointing to the potential of this storm. The way the GFS has performed lately, is it best to wait to see what the Euro and other models show. Just wondering as a beginner.
Fededle22
Fededle22

Back to top Go down

Post by Irish Tue Jan 26, 2021 10:25 pm

The storm that we're all discussing that looks to impact us early next week has been named Winter Storm Orlena.
Irish
Irish
Pro Enthusiast
Pro Enthusiast

Back to top Go down

Post by Frank_Wx Tue Jan 26, 2021 10:33 pm

This is the trend you want to see. Issue is our trends are positive 4-5 days out but once inside 72 hours they turn negative

Long Range Discussion 20(20)  (Ha!) - Page 28 7987cd10

Frank_Wx
Frank_Wx
Godzilla Seeker
Godzilla Seeker

Back to top Go down

Post by jaydoy Tue Jan 26, 2021 11:29 pm

Fingers crossed as this season has underperformed so far. The Dec storm was a decent storm, but we need more, my little one has a sled she is dying to use at least once more. Bring us the goods Mother Nature!!!!!

jaydoy

Back to top Go down

Post by Irish Tue Jan 26, 2021 11:39 pm

TWC has upped accumulation projections for my area from 6-12 to 7-15 for Orlena. Not too much different but going in a better direction. Hope it continues.
Irish
Irish
Pro Enthusiast
Pro Enthusiast

Back to top Go down

Post by heehaw453 Wed Jan 27, 2021 7:05 am

Guidance is showing a long drawn out event with a ULL that closes off. When ULL closes off all bets are off to what happens. Yes the latest Euro Op sheered the ULL and it fell apart, but the ensembles EPS fully supports a coastal crawler.

Where does the ULL close off, how quickly it forms, how close it gets to the coast, how strong it gets we just don't have any of those details. Folks from VA to ME are in the threat area ATTM.

Frank's point is valid that we need to get to Friday before there is any confidence of a MAJOR threat here.

heehaw453
Advanced Forecaster
Advanced Forecaster

Back to top Go down

Post by Frank_Wx Wed Jan 27, 2021 7:43 am

One thing I’ve noticed is how our last couple of storms and the upcoming one all had a transfer to the coast. The problem being these transfers are happening far too late and with not enough cold air. When the -NAO acts alone without support from the Pacific, you get these nickel and dime events that models can’t get right until inside 48 hours.

Frank_Wx
Frank_Wx
Godzilla Seeker
Godzilla Seeker

Back to top Go down

Post by heehaw453 Wed Jan 27, 2021 8:09 am

Frank_Wx wrote:One thing I’ve noticed is how our last couple of storms and the upcoming one all had a transfer to the coast. The problem being these transfers are happening far too late and with not enough cold air. When the -NAO acts alone without support from the Pacific, you get these nickel and dime events that models can’t get right until inside 48 hours.

Agreed. I think an important aspect is if the ULL energy closing off before hitting the coast. If it does, then it'll probably catch up to the surface and 850/700 and vertically stack. At that point it's probably a coastal crawler right up to the Canadian Maritimes. If not and the ULL is ragged and disjointed from the other layers then it's going to be a modest to maybe moderate event IMO. With the PNA going + in conjunction with a good antecedent air mass it gives us a fighting chance. Fun to track at least!

heehaw453
Advanced Forecaster
Advanced Forecaster

Back to top Go down

Post by Snow88 Wed Jan 27, 2021 8:18 am

Eps is a long duration storm. Further north than the 0z euro op.
Snow88
Snow88
Senior Enthusiast
Senior Enthusiast

Back to top Go down

Post by sroc4 Wed Jan 27, 2021 8:37 am

heehaw453 wrote:
Frank_Wx wrote:One thing I’ve noticed is how our last couple of storms and the upcoming one all had a transfer to the coast. The problem being these transfers are happening far too late and with not enough cold air. When the -NAO acts alone without support from the Pacific, you get these nickel and dime events that models can’t get right until inside 48 hours.

Agreed.  I think an important aspect is if the ULL energy closing off before hitting the coast.  If it does, then it'll probably catch up to the surface and 850/700 and vertically stack.  At that point it's probably a coastal crawler right up to the Canadian Maritimes.  If not and the ULL is ragged and disjointed from the other layers then it's going to be a modest to maybe moderate event IMO.  With the PNA going + in conjunction with a good antecedent air mass it gives us a fighting chance.  Fun to track at least!

The spacing between the system that will pass to our south tomorrow and this threat is much better. It at least allows room for our heights to increase out in front. That was a major detriment to tomorrow’s system.  The system that passed overnight and tomorrow’s system were too close. As last nights system amplifies off the coast it’s close proximity to the next one combined with some of the other factors I prev outlined to the north, didn’t allow heights to raise along the coast for tomorrow’s system to come up. Regarding The system that happened yesterday and overnight the main issue in preventing a more wide spread light to moderate event for our coverage area was like Frank said zero cooperation with the PAC. Such a flat flow from the PAC jet killed us. But heehaw like you said while I wouldn’t exactly call it a true +PNa the strength of the strong negative PNA is relaxing towards a more neutral state making it “more positive” relatively speaking. Same with the EPO. While it won’t be truly negative it too is relaxing towards a neutral state “more negative” relatively speaking. NAO still negative but also relaxing a bit.

With the space out in front of this system I think an overly amped system and a closed500mb low that gets too far N&W is also something to concern ourselves with as much as a closing off too late again.  Esp because the NAO region is relaxing.

The trend seems to be That the main energy seems to be under modeled in the medium range. Hopefully there’s enough relaxation in the PNA and EPO regions, and still enough resistance in the NAO and AO regions that we achieve baby bear, or at least close to it and not an overly amped system that cuts where the majority of us get the slop again.

WINTER 2014/2015 TOTALS 71.20"WINTER 2019/2020 TOTALS 6.35"
WINTER 2015/2016 TOTALS 35.00"WINTER 2020/2021 TOTALS 37.75"
WINTER 2016/2017 TOTALS 42.25"WINTER 2021/2022 TOTALS 31.65" 
sroc4
sroc4
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by CPcantmeasuresnow Wed Jan 27, 2021 9:01 am

This mornings 6Z GFS, one of the few times 80-90% of the forum would be happy. Only for entertainment purposes at this early stage

Long Range Discussion 20(20)  (Ha!) - Page 28 Gfs_as19
CPcantmeasuresnow
CPcantmeasuresnow
Wx Statistician Guru
Wx Statistician Guru

Back to top Go down

Post by Frank_Wx Wed Jan 27, 2021 10:13 am

sroc4 wrote:
heehaw453 wrote:

Agreed.  I think an important aspect is if the ULL energy closing off before hitting the coast.  If it does, then it'll probably catch up to the surface and 850/700 and vertically stack.  At that point it's probably a coastal crawler right up to the Canadian Maritimes.  If not and the ULL is ragged and disjointed from the other layers then it's going to be a modest to maybe moderate event IMO.  With the PNA going + in conjunction with a good antecedent air mass it gives us a fighting chance.  Fun to track at least!

The spacing between the system that will pass to our south tomorrow and this threat is much better. It at least allows room for our heights to increase out in front. That was a major detriment to tomorrow’s system.  The system that passed overnight and tomorrow’s system were too close. As last nights system amplifies off the coast it’s close proximity to the next one combined with some of the other factors I prev outlined to the north, didn’t allow heights to raise along the coast for tomorrow’s system to come up. Regarding The system that happened yesterday and overnight the main issue in preventing a more wide spread light to moderate event for our coverage area was like Frank said zero cooperation with the PAC. Such a flat flow from the PAC jet killed us. But heehaw like you said while I wouldn’t exactly call it a true +PNa the strength of the strong negative PNA is relaxing towards a more neutral state making it “more positive” relatively speaking. Same with the EPO. While it won’t be truly negative it too is relaxing towards a neutral state “more negative” relatively speaking. NAO still negative but also relaxing a bit.

With the space out in front of this system I think an overly amped system and a closed500mb low that gets too far N&W is also something to concern ourselves with as much as a closing off too late again.  Esp because the NAO region is relaxing.

The trend seems to be That the main energy seems to be under modeled in the medium range. Hopefully there’s enough relaxation in the PNA and EPO regions, and still enough resistance in the NAO and AO regions that we achieve baby bear, or at least close to it and not an overly amped system that cuts where the majority of us get the slop again.

The western ridge axis is too far east, but our saving grace is the blocking which aids in slowing things down and keeping the low near the coast.

Long Range Discussion 20(20)  (Ha!) - Page 28 Gfs_z500a_namer_23

H5 closes off at JUST the right time. These intricacies at the surface won't be well-modeled for days to come, unfortunately. Pay attention to the ensembles and see what they're trying to do. EPS looked great last night.

Frank_Wx
Frank_Wx
Godzilla Seeker
Godzilla Seeker

Back to top Go down

Post by Frank_Wx Wed Jan 27, 2021 11:15 am

GFS just went all MADONNE on us. Main difference from previous run is it's slower to develop thanks to a slightly more amplified western ridge and energy holding on the backside of the trough

Long Range Discussion 20(20)  (Ha!) - Page 28 60118f10

Frank_Wx
Frank_Wx
Godzilla Seeker
Godzilla Seeker

Back to top Go down

Post by heehaw453 Wed Jan 27, 2021 11:20 am

Frank_Wx wrote:GFS just went all MADONNE on us. Main difference from previous run is it's slower to develop thanks to a slightly more amplified western ridge and energy holding on the backside of the trough

My observation on that run is I want to see the ULL slide underneath us around Ocean City MD. I don't care for where the GFS has it placed.

heehaw453
Advanced Forecaster
Advanced Forecaster

Back to top Go down

Post by sroc4 Wed Jan 27, 2021 11:32 am

heehaw453 wrote:
Frank_Wx wrote:GFS just went all MADONNE on us. Main difference from previous run is it's slower to develop thanks to a slightly more amplified western ridge and energy holding on the backside of the trough

My observation on that run is I want to see the ULL slide underneath us around Ocean City MD.  I don't care for where the GFS has it placed.

Going to need to watch the behavior of the h7 AND h8 closed lows as well to determine where the heaviest axis of snowfall will fall and how and where the temp profiles behave.   Again a concerning trend has been as we enter inside the 72-96 hr window to have our southern system trend more amped sending these features over or slightly N&W of us shifting the snow axis N&W.  My typical phrase of Cautious optimism couldn't be more prudent here.

Long Range Discussion 20(20)  (Ha!) - Page 28 Gfs_z500_vort_us_22
Long Range Discussion 20(20)  (Ha!) - Page 28 Gfs_z700_vort_us_23
Long Range Discussion 20(20)  (Ha!) - Page 28 Gfs_z850_vort_us_23

WINTER 2014/2015 TOTALS 71.20"WINTER 2019/2020 TOTALS 6.35"
WINTER 2015/2016 TOTALS 35.00"WINTER 2020/2021 TOTALS 37.75"
WINTER 2016/2017 TOTALS 42.25"WINTER 2021/2022 TOTALS 31.65" 
sroc4
sroc4
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by heehaw453 Wed Jan 27, 2021 11:48 am

sroc4 wrote:
heehaw453 wrote:

My observation on that run is I want to see the ULL slide underneath us around Ocean City MD.  I don't care for where the GFS has it placed.

Going to need to watch the behavior of the h7 AND h8 closed lows as well to determine where the heaviest axis of snowfall will fall and how and where the temp profiles behave.   Again a concerning trend has been as we enter inside the 72-96 hr window to have our southern system trend more amped sending these features over or slightly N&W of us shifting the snow axis N&W.  My typical phrase of Cautious optimism couldn't be more prudent here.

Agree 100%. The usual rules apply here. Mixing issues and subsidence. Those that get hit though are going to get a nice one IMO. See what Euro says in a bit, but the suppression scenario is gaining less traction.

heehaw453
Advanced Forecaster
Advanced Forecaster

Back to top Go down

Post by jmanley32 Wed Jan 27, 2021 12:19 pm

sroc4 wrote:
heehaw453 wrote:

Ya don't see it too often that NYC and pts south to LI see the highest totals LOL
jmanley32
jmanley32
Senior Enthusiast
Senior Enthusiast

Back to top Go down

Post by Frank_Wx Wed Jan 27, 2021 12:48 pm

The 12z NAVGEM just went Godzilla on us

Frank_Wx
Frank_Wx
Godzilla Seeker
Godzilla Seeker

weatherwatchermom likes this post

Back to top Go down

Post by Frank_Wx Wed Jan 27, 2021 12:52 pm

Frank_Wx wrote:The 12z NAVGEM just went Godzilla on us

Long Range Discussion 20(20)  (Ha!) - Page 28 Nvg10_10

Frank_Wx
Frank_Wx
Godzilla Seeker
Godzilla Seeker

Back to top Go down

Post by SENJsnowman Wed Jan 27, 2021 12:56 pm

No Model hugging- I promise. No Weenie snow maps on this post, they belong in banter. Very Happy Very Happy

But, oh! Today's 12z CMC is a coastie delight! Look at that bowling ball rounding the bend! Look at all that cold air at the lower levels. Get outta there 850 warm nose- stay in Philly!

My question: Is this scenario on the table with the same level of probability as the GFS solution at this time? Oh, and has the Canadian model been reliable at all? ( I think not, actually. Sad )

And ok, one weenie map at the end.

Long Range Discussion 20(20)  (Ha!) - Page 28 Gemc2_12

Long Range Discussion 20(20)  (Ha!) - Page 28 Gemd2112

Long Range Discussion 20(20)  (Ha!) - Page 28 Geme2_11

Long Range Discussion 20(20)  (Ha!) - Page 28 Gemb2_11

Long Range Discussion 20(20)  (Ha!) - Page 28 Gem2_111

SENJsnowman
Senior Enthusiast
Senior Enthusiast

Back to top Go down

Post by aiannone Wed Jan 27, 2021 1:30 pm

Warm run on the 12z EURO, albeit NW of 0z
Long Range Discussion 20(20)  (Ha!) - Page 28 Pratep10

Senior Enthusiast - Mod
Senior Enthusiast - Mod

Back to top Go down

Post by aiannone Wed Jan 27, 2021 1:33 pm

WPC Going All in

Long Range Discussion 20(20)  (Ha!) - Page 28 14330710

Senior Enthusiast - Mod
Senior Enthusiast - Mod

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 28 of 30 Previous  1 ... 15 ... 27, 28, 29, 30  Next

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum