NJ Strong Weather Forum

Join the forum, it's quick and easy

NJ Strong Weather Forum
NJ Strong Weather Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Is Amugs a strict teacher?

+3
SNOW MAN
Dunnzoo
Frank_Wx
7 posters

Go down

Is Amugs a strict teacher?  Empty Is Amugs a strict teacher?

Post by Frank_Wx Sat Mar 15, 2014 11:06 am

I say no. He seems too nice

CLICK HERE to view NJ Strong Snowstorm Classifications
Frank_Wx
Frank_Wx
Godzilla Seeker
Godzilla Seeker

http://njstrongweather.blogspot.com/

Back to top Go down

Is Amugs a strict teacher?  Empty Re: Is Amugs a strict teacher?

Post by Dunnzoo Sat Mar 15, 2014 11:38 am

Having met him, yes a nice guy!

Snowfall winter of 2023-2024  17.5"    

Snowfall winter of 2022-2023       6.0"
Snowfall winter of 2021-2022     17.6"    1" sleet 2/25/22
Snowfall winter of 2020-2021     51.1"
Snowfall winter of 2019-2020       8.5"
Snowfall winter of 2018-2019     25.1"
Snowfall winter of 2017-2018     51.9"
Snowfall winter of 2016-2017     45.6"
Snowfall winter of 2015-2016     29.5"
Snowfall winter of 2014-2015     50.55"
Snowfall winter of 2013-2014     66.5"
Dunnzoo
Dunnzoo
Senior Enthusiast - Mod
Senior Enthusiast - Mod

Back to top Go down

Post by SNOW MAN Mon Mar 17, 2014 3:09 pm

I say he is strict to a degree, but I think his students respect him immensely. I think he keeps them interested in what they're learning and instills in them that they can reach their goals if they stay focused and work hard. I know if I were one of his students he would keep me captivated and always wanting to strive to learn more and do better. I only wish I had a teacher like him when I was in school, unfortunately I didn't. I do believe he's won an award for his teaching skills. Congratulation's to you Mugs, it's a well deserved honor. And yes he is a nice guy to boot.
SNOW MAN
SNOW MAN
Senior Enthusiast
Senior Enthusiast

Back to top Go down

Post by docstox12 Mon Mar 17, 2014 6:11 pm

Mugsy has to be the best teacher in that district.He is interesting and hilarious and that keeps the kids happy and productive in the classroom.Very tough job being a teacher, maintaining discipline and order plus making the kids WANT to learn.God Bless, Mugsy, I'd never last a week doing what you do.
docstox12
docstox12
Wx Statistician Guru
Wx Statistician Guru

Back to top Go down

Post by Quietace Mon Mar 17, 2014 6:58 pm

I bet mugs is one of those no cellphone teachers....
Quietace
Quietace
Meteorologist - Mod
Meteorologist - Mod

Back to top Go down

Post by amugs Thu Mar 20, 2014 10:19 am

I thank you for all of your sincere and honest input and in a few days I will reveal the TRUTH behind the man we all call "MUGS"!!!

WINTER 2014-15 : 55.12" +.02 for 6 coatings (avg. 35")
WINTER 2015-16 Total - 29.8" (Avg 35")
WINTER 2016-17 : 39.5" so far
amugs
amugs
Advanced Forecaster - Mod

Back to top Go down

Post by SNOW MAN Sun Mar 23, 2014 8:45 pm

Mug's we're still waiting to hear the truth about the man, the myth, and the legend we call Mug's (aka KSW). Your faithful countrymen want to know.
SNOW MAN
SNOW MAN
Senior Enthusiast
Senior Enthusiast

Back to top Go down

Post by CPcantmeasuresnow Mon Mar 24, 2014 11:46 am

My guess would be he holds his students interest and never let's them get the best of him. With his personality, humor and energy he's probably the teacher that all the kids want to have so his discipline problems I would guess are few and far between.

When they do come along though I'm sure he takes no crap.

He's a lousy King  king though. I think even he would admit that. But remember Mugsy that's what others say I don't necessarily agree with that, unless you are dethroned.
CPcantmeasuresnow
CPcantmeasuresnow
Wx Statistician Guru
Wx Statistician Guru

Back to top Go down

Post by amugs Mon Mar 24, 2014 5:34 pm

Hhhhmmm - let me clear me throat.

I thank you all for your very kind and spot on guesses of me as a teacher.

I came into this profession from a bloodline of teachers in my family - Father, Mother, Aunts, Uncle's and many family friends.

I have been teaching for 22 years now - 1/2 year at Paterson Kennedy where I grew up near, 1 year in the depths of Jersey City at 14 School who I earned a tremendous amount of respect from my students for on being a man of my word, two accidentally taking out the drug/pimp of the neighborhood - stood up to him in my classroom ( 22 years old and pretty crazy) and three thrashing the crap out of the students in the student - teacher  basketball especially Anthony Perry who went onto to St Anthony HS and Georgetown U to play.

21 years at Northern Highlands and it has been great - no regrets on any of my experiences.

@ Ace - no I do not allow cell phones for usage other than projects - researching information, taking photos of prototypes for documentation work or videotaping final testing of a project.
So in a sense I do not allow them for socializing - bust two kids a day - you'd think they learn by now - that to me is ignorance.

I truly have a passion about what I teach - Architecture, Engineering, CAD and problem solving - I bring all of my experiences into the classroom - we have a lot of fun while learning and that is my goal - fun projects the kids can relate to.

We do team projects and have competitions as well with these projects.http://www.northjersey.com/news/northern-highlands-students-put-skills-to-the-test-in-regatta-challenge-1.578383

http://newjersey.news12.com/news/northern-highlands-regional-high-school-students-race-across-lake-in-cardboard-regatta-1.5468615?firstfree=yes

I try to use the old motto - KISS (Keep It Simple Stupid) and embrace the moment .My students have really caught onto this as has the school community. I talk them about the weather and give them my forecasts - unlike KSW, I have steered them in the right dierction and they love my updates - the buzz of the school especially for snowstorms!

So you are all right in your estimation, blog guess of me - I am passionate for what I do, my students get the best dam education I can humanly provide, I take no crap and they know it - fear is good as a teacher, I love my students - we celebrate birthdays and all holidays  - I bring in bagels and we have a sign up sheet so everyone partakes - like a family, like this board! I am the three F's of teaching - Firm, Fair and Friendly and many of my students come back 1 - 3 5 -10 years later to see me and email me - that is the true test.  

@ Snow - I received a very honorable award in 2012 as being recognized by my peers as NJ Engineering Teacher of the Year 2012 - Public Schools 5-12th graders including Tech Ed.

My Superintendent and Principal have said to me they cannot believe I have never won Teacher of the year at our school - that would be nice but there are so many more things that say this everyday when I step into my classroom and see my students eager and smiling faces.

So, all in all you were all right in your comments and I very much appreciate them.

amugs
amugs

Back to top Go down

Post by SNOW MAN Mon Mar 24, 2014 6:25 pm

Mug's, It's funny you teach architecture. I always wanted to be an architect, but the math (not one of my strong points) did me in. When I was in high school you had to take two years of mechanical drafting before you could take an architectural drawing 1 class in your junior year and then you were able to take architectural drawing 2 class in your senior year. I fulfilled all these requirements and just loved dreaming up my own homes and then putting them on paper. You even had to build a scale model of the home that you designed in your senior year. I was so into it my mom and dad bought me my own drafting table and tools for use at home.
 Unfortunately I just couldn't grasp the math and even went for extra help, but to no avail. So in the end I never did get to fulfill my dream. 😢  Maybe if I had had a teacher like you I could have accomplished this goal. Unfortunately I will never know.

P.S. Believe it or not I still have the plans of the house I designed in class in my senior year. I just could not bring myself to throwing them out.

Last edited by SNOW MAN on Mon Mar 24, 2014 10:38 pm; edited 1 time in total
SNOW MAN
SNOW MAN
Senior Enthusiast
Senior Enthusiast

Back to top Go down

Post by docstox12 Mon Mar 24, 2014 6:36 pm

Mugsy---absolutely great, you are one of the rare great teachers students come across maybe once or twice in their school careers.Reading about how you teach makes me wish I was a teenager again and could take your class! Don't worry, you'll get that "Teacher of the Year" Award, just like Ralph Kramden finally got his "Safe Bus Driver of the Year Award" and got to meet the Mayor!

Snow---Someday when you retire, I order you to get those plans out, get modeling materials like balsa wood, plastruct components and get to work building that model.You NEED to do that, man, to prove you could do it.Gotta be in your bucket list.I'll swing by to help you on one of my Delaware River trout trips, if I haven't croaked by then,LOL!

When I move into my Fiancee's house in Monroe NY, she has a huge basement where I am going to build a 20 foot by 12 foot HO Model Railroad, one of my hobbies as a kid.I've been designing it in my mind for 50 years and it will be my crown jewel of creatiion.These were the hobbies we had as kids, remember?
docstox12
docstox12
Wx Statistician Guru
Wx Statistician Guru

Back to top Go down

Post by Quietace Mon Mar 24, 2014 6:39 pm

From watching the videos on the links, i feel me and mugs would get along in the classroom. lol
Though he might have to write me up from being on my phone during the winter lol.
Quietace
Quietace
Meteorologist - Mod
Meteorologist - Mod

Back to top Go down

Post by SNOW MAN Mon Mar 24, 2014 8:55 pm

docstox12 wrote:Mugsy---absolutely great, you are one of the rare great teachers students come across maybe once or twice in their school careers.Reading about how you teach makes me wish I was a teenager again and could take your class! Don't worry, you'll get that "Teacher of the Year" Award, just like Ralph Kramden finally got his "Safe Bus Driver of the Year Award" and got to meet the Mayor!

Snow---Someday when you retire, I order you to get those plans out, get modeling materials like balsa wood, plastruct components and get to work building that model.You NEED to do that, man, to prove you could do it.Gotta be in your bucket list.I'll swing by to help you on one of my Delaware River trout trips, if I haven't croaked by then,LOL!

When I move into my Fiancee's house in Monroe NY, she has a huge basement where I am going to build a 20 foot by 12 foot HO Model Railroad, one of my hobbies as a kid.I've been designing it in my mind for 50 years and it will be my crown jewel of creatiion.These were the hobbies we had as kids, remember?

Doc, I like your idea of making that model home (would love for you to swing by if your in the area) when I retire and yes I do remember having those hobbies as a kid and an adult. After I got married in 1984 we lived in a one bedroom apartment in Parsippany  NJ, but it also had a dining room. Dining room who needs a stinking dining room. So being that I love all things related to cars (thanks to my dad)I had the bright idea of building an ho layout with electric cars and trains in that room. It started out as a 4x8 layout and ended growing to almost the size of the room. I would spend hours adding scenery and houses to it. Needless to say I have GREAT wife who understands what being a car guy is all about.
   Unfortunately when I purchased my home in Pa. in 1986 I didn't have room to put my beloved layout in it. So I had to dismantle it and give it away. Broke my heart, but owning my own home was a goal I had always dreamed of and worth the loss of it. I'm also a collector and builder of 1/24 and 1/25 scale model cars. I've been collecting them since I was 13 or 14 years old. Currently my collection tops out at about 1200 unbuilt kits. Thank God my wife is also a bit of a car lover and has allowed me to purchase our two modern day muscle cars. So I think my retirement will be pretty busy building model houses, model cars and polishing and driving the real ones. People at work always ask me what are going to do with yourself when you retire, you'll get bored and wish you were still working here. My answer is EVERYTHING I can't do now !  Smile
   I hope you get to build that layout Doc and I would love to see it when it's a work in progress. Because as you know a layout is never finished it just keeps on growing. I only have seven years to go until I retire. Trust me Doc you'll still be around your not going anywhere.
SNOW MAN
SNOW MAN
Senior Enthusiast
Senior Enthusiast

Back to top Go down

Post by docstox12 Mon Mar 24, 2014 9:22 pm

You have a deal on seeing my layout someday, SNOW.I'll let you have a section you can model yourself.You can build something with a layup track I can drop cars off on, say the "Kram-Mars Delicious Mystery Appetizer Plant"! I'm putting lot's of comedy in the signs and industry names,LOL!

I dismantled the 6 by 10 HO layout that was 54 years in my Mom's basement last year but have kept a lot of cars, scenery and engines for the new layout.I built a Plastruct natural gas refinery for tank cars, a Campbell Hall water tower and a Blair Line 'Cash Coal Mine" kit the last few years.My old eyes and hands can still do it.

SNOW, you've got five years lined up in retirement to build the models kits you own.You'll be busy.

Best muscle cars I ever drove were a buddies '67 GTO, 389 with 4 speed Hurst.You got rubber in fourth gear, fer crying out loud! Also had a neighbor who when I was 16 let me drive his '63 split window Vette as he was going to Nam as a paratrooper and didn't think he'd get back so he let me drive it in 1967.Too bad it was an automatic,LOL! Owned a '63 Grand Prix with that same 389 GTO engine and, man it had balls.When that four barrel carb kicked in ....GOOD NIGHT NURSE! Best muscle car years...late 60's-early 70's. Of course I was getting gas for 28 cents a gallon and tuning the car so it would burn that crap gas without pinging like crazy.Ah, crap, I could talk for hours about old cars and the 50's, 60's and 70's.

Lucky you have an understanding wife in all this.God Bless her. My Fiancee is the same, that basement in her house is my area,LOL!
docstox12
docstox12
Wx Statistician Guru
Wx Statistician Guru

Back to top Go down

Post by amugs Mon Mar 24, 2014 10:00 pm

Quietace wrote:From watching the videos on the links, i feel me and mugs would get along in the classroom. lol
Though he might have to write me up from being on my phone during the winter lol.
Ace, are you kidding? I would love to have you in class. Do you know how much you would have - wether and soccer - remember I was the varsity soccer coach for 10 years at Northern Highlands and won 2 sectional championships in my first four years consecutively. ANyhoo, knowing you just from this board you would be apleasure to teach. Cell phones all my students have them so it isn't a big deal to me you would have cart blanch on using the computers in my class for weather purposes!!

@ Snow  okay you spooked me out E I still teach my students the old paper and pencil on the drafting boards - not the tsquares and triangle techniques you and I learned but they still need to lern how to draw an isometric ellipse using the center point method and orthographic projections using the good old mechanical drawing pencil and  Tom q vary lettering techniques and happening the lead on the compass with the sanding pad of their mechanical drawing leads - 2h, 4h, HBO and rolling the pencil along the rulers edge great memories.
Snow I have my honors architectural drawing students building their cathedrals, they learn and produce a professional architecture portfolio and build a 1/4 scale version of their home - they just started today and we have an architectural review in June where I have architects from the area come in and give my students constructive and positive feedback along with past students who are in architecture schools or junior apprentices.

@ doc - Ralphie baby, I really do not care about that toy as we call it award - the other award being recognized by my peer teachers across the state was more dear to me but the greatest gift as a teacher is seeing and making lifelong friendships.

I have a better video to share on our regatta boat races that nj tv did as an exposé that I will upload with a link tomorrow if you wish to view, they did an awesome job on it and so did my kids. I am always looking to improve myself and my projects and I always am open to ideas from peers, friends and my students they have some good ones!

Snow and doc - , railroads and muscle cars - my time of these - holy crap! My son is now into railroads been taking him to train shows since he was 2 years old. Built him a layout and same thing when we moved I had to dismantle it but w will he and I build another one in the near future. I use to work with my buddies from auto shop on their cars 442 " gut lass" and the 76 trans am along with their 78 GTO 5 speed that sucker had balls in 2nd gear Jesus if you punched it in 2nd and popped it into third she was all over the road. Classic took my buddies dodge duster over to teterboro airport got a tank full of air jet furl at 120 octane for $15 and had the ride of our life up and down the tarmack hitting 110 mph that night and then she blew and we left it there - still the legend has it you can stil hear us shrieking on the runway at 11pm two knuckleheads!

@snow do not throw out those plans. They are a relic and part of you hold onto those for as long as you are alive and share with whomever me being one I love this stuff. I mean it! Use to make blueprints but those days are gone they are outlawed in schools!!

Thanks gain everyone and snow, doc and ace you would have loved my class and I would have loved having you in my classes

Good night 

Mugs
 king

amugs
amugs

Back to top Go down

Post by SNOW MAN Mon Mar 24, 2014 10:29 pm

Doc, It sounds like you've been around the block a few times when it comes to muscle cars.
My first car was a 68 Plymouth Belvedere with a 318 engine. I paid 300 bucks for it from a guy who had bought it new. Unfortunately he let his son tinker with it and he painted blue (was originally white) with a wagner power painter, talk about orange peel on a paint job. YIKE'S ! He also painted t all the chrome black. UGH ! Luckily I was only 16 at the time and only had my driving permit. So it gave me plenty of time to clean off all the paint on the chrome and clean it up before I got my license and was able to drive it on my own. Unfortunately it got wrecked a month after I started driving by a guy driving on the wrong side of the road.
   My girlfriend (now my wife, high school sweethearts ya know) split her top lip on the rear view mirror. Sitting next to me of course with no seatbelt on.(no seatbelt law then) Man I thought my father was going to kill me, but he was glad that no one was hurt that seriously. So it was bye bye car.
Then the hunt was on for a new ride. I found a 69 Plymouth Road Runner with a 383 motor in Verona NJ for 575 bucks. This was the car I had always dreamed of owning since my father showed me the new car brochure in 1969 when I was 10 years old. Boy let me tell you this car was in rough shape, but I vowed to restore it to it's full glory. Well with help from my brother and lots of money and searching for parts through the Chrysler parts network (couldn't get parts like you can now) and lots of blood sweat and tears. I finally accomplished it several years later. My brother even painted it for me. The original color was b5 blue so that's what I repainted it. Well my mom hated it, she said it had no pizzaz and just looked blah. So we ended up repainting it with 1974 Corvette yellow. Wow, mom was right it looked so much better than the original color.
 Sorry Doc if I've bored you with all this car talk, but I just can't help myself. It sounds like you have a lot of talent when it comes to building pieces for your layout. I hope I really do get a chance to see your work in person after you get settled in your new place and start working on it. Sounds like your going to be a pretty busy guy. Gee I wonder if you'll have any time to keep tracking storms and posting on the forum. LOL !
SNOW MAN
SNOW MAN
Senior Enthusiast
Senior Enthusiast

Back to top Go down

Post by SNOW MAN Mon Mar 24, 2014 10:55 pm

Mug's if I could only turn back the clock and be one of your students, who knows where I'd be today. Like the movie quote says "I could've been a contender". Great stuff in the two links you posted.
SNOW MAN
SNOW MAN
Senior Enthusiast
Senior Enthusiast

Back to top Go down

Post by docstox12 Tue Mar 25, 2014 4:20 am

SNOW MAN wrote:Doc, It sounds like you've been around the block a few times when it comes to muscle cars.
My first car was a 68 Plymouth Belvedere with a 318 engine. I paid 300 bucks for it from a guy who had bought it new. Unfortunately he let his son tinker with it and he painted blue (was originally white) with a wagner power painter, talk about orange peel on a paint job. YIKE'S ! He also painted t all the chrome black. UGH ! Luckily I was only 16 at the time and only had my driving permit. So it gave me plenty of time to clean off all the paint on the chrome and clean it up before I got my license and was able to drive it on my own. Unfortunately it got wrecked a month after I started driving by a guy driving on the wrong side of the road.
   My girlfriend (now my wife, high school sweethearts ya know) split her top lip on the rear view mirror. Sitting next to me of course with no seatbelt on.(no seatbelt law then) Man I thought my father was going to kill me, but he was glad that no one was hurt that seriously. So it was bye bye car.
Then the hunt was on for a new ride. I found a 69 Plymouth Road Runner with a 383 motor in Verona NJ for 575 bucks. This was the car I had always dreamed of owning since my father showed me the new car brochure in 1969 when I was 10 years old. Boy let me tell you this car was in rough shape, but I vowed to restore it to it's full glory. Well with help from my brother and lots of money and searching for parts through the Chrysler parts network (couldn't get parts like you can now) and lots of blood sweat and tears. I finally accomplished it several years later. My brother even painted it for me. The original color was b5 blue so that's what I repainted it. Well my mom hated it, she said it had no pizzaz and just looked blah. So we ended up repainting it with 1974 Corvette yellow. Wow, mom was right it looked so much better than the original color.
 Sorry Doc if I've bored you with all this car talk, but I just can't help myself. It sounds like you have a lot of talent when it comes to building pieces for your layout. I hope I really do get a chance to see your work in person after you get settled in your new place and start working on it. Sounds like your going to be a pretty busy guy. Gee I wonder if you'll have any time to keep tracking storms and posting on the forum. LOL !

Great story, Snow.Really takes me back.First car I ever drove was sitting on my Father's lap in 1957, a 1947 Dodge.Snuck out at 2 AM when my parents were asleep when I was 14 to drive around the block the family 1954 Desoto.First car, a 1959 Ford 292 Custom 300.Nothing fancy.My next car was a 1968 Plymouth Fury III with that same 318 engine you mentioned above.I tuned and maintained it, put in a new alternator and water pump.Nice engine,but that 383 Road Runner must have been sweet.Real nice looking car.I see they have resurrected that look in the new Dodge Challengers.Classic lines.Great work you and your brother restoring and repainting it.Reminds me of me and my dear departed Dad rebuilding the engine on a 1963 389 4bbl Grand Prix, pulling the heads, sending them out for grinding, new hydraulic lifters, springs stems.Think that car was about 350 bucks.Real sweet ride, power seats, etc.Those were the days of backyard mechanics.Can't do that stuff now, need computers and scanners.etc.Last job I did was put in a new EGR Valve on my 2005 Dodge Caravan.It spit out a code and that was that.The old timer mechanics would start the car and put their ear near the engine and diagnose by sounds the problem,LOL!

There, SNOW, I see your old car ramble and RAISE you, LOL! Always will talk anyplace anytime about the good old car days.In my bar days back in the 70's when I was a young buck, I'd always buy a shot and a beer for an oldtimer back then and ask "what was the first car you ever owned!" Man, did you hear car stories then!

Nope, I'll be here until they throw me out.Love weather as a hobby to fill my retirement time.You'll see less of me as the winter fades, just a few baseball and fishing posts as I'm not that big into Spring, ,Summer and Fall weather.

Later,bro!
docstox12
docstox12
Wx Statistician Guru
Wx Statistician Guru

Back to top Go down

Post by docstox12 Tue Mar 25, 2014 4:44 am

amugs wrote:
Quietace wrote:From watching the videos on the links, i feel me and mugs would get along in the classroom. lol
Ace, are you kidding? I would love to have you in class. Do you know how much you would have - wether and soccer - remember I was the varsity soccer coach for 10 years at Northern Highlands and won 2 sectional championships in my first four years consecutively. ANyhoo, knowing you just from this board you would be apleasure to teach. Cell phones all my students have them so it isn't a big deal to me you would have cart blanch on using the computers in my class for weather purposes!!

@ Snow  okay you spooked me out E I still teach my students the old paper and pencil on the drafting boards - not the tsquares and triangle techniques you and I learned but they still need to lern how to draw an isometric ellipse using the center point method and orthographic projections using the good old mechanical drawing pencil and  Tom q vary lettering techniques and happening the lead on the compass with the sanding pad of their mechanical drawing leads - 2h, 4h, HBO and rolling the pencil along the rulers edge great memories.
Snow I have my honors architectural drawing students building their cathedrals, they learn and produce a professional architecture portfolio and build a 1/4 scale version of their home - they just started today and we have an architectural review in June where I have architects from the area come in and give my students constructive and positive feedback along with past students who are in architecture schools or junior apprentices.

@ doc - Ralphie baby, I really do not care about that toy as we call it award - the other award being recognized by my peer teachers across the state was more dear to me but the greatest gift as a teacher is seeing and making lifelong friendships.

I have a better video to share on our regatta boat races that nj tv did as an exposé that I will upload with a link tomorrow if you wish to view, they did an awesome job on it and so did my kids. I am always looking to improve myself and my projects and I always am open to ideas from peers, friends and my students they have some good ones!

Snow and doc - , railroads and muscle cars - my time of these - holy crap! My son is now into railroads been taking him to train shows since he was 2 years old. Built him a layout and same thing when we moved I had to dismantle it but w will he and I build another one in the near future. I use to work with my buddies from auto shop on their cars 442 " gut lass" and the 76 trans am along with their 78 GTO 5 speed that sucker had balls in 2nd gear Jesus if you punched it in 2nd and popped it into third she was all over the road. Classic took my buddies dodge duster over to teterboro airport got a tank full of air jet furl at 120 octane for $15 and had the ride of our life up and down the tarmack hitting 110 mph that night and then she blew and we left it there - still the legend has it you can stil hear us shrieking on the runway at 11pm two knuckleheads!

@snow do not throw out those plans. They are a relic and part of you hold onto those for as long as you are alive and share with whomever me being one I love this stuff. I mean it! Use to make blueprints but those days are gone they are outlawed in schools!!

Thanks gain everyone and snow, doc and ace you would have loved my class and I would have loved having you in my classes

Good night 

Mugs
 king

Mugsy, I had a History Teacher in High School, 1968-1969 who was just like you.He inspired me to become a lifelong student of History and Military History, which I still am today.Teachers like that (you) leave a lifelong positive influence on a student.

Love the story of you and your son with trains.My Dad started me off in 1952-1953 with the old American Flyer O Gauge.We switched to HO in 1959 because you could put more layout in a smaller space.I still model that gauge today.

Love that story on Teterboro Airport.Must have been way back because today, you'd be surrounded and shot as terrorist suspects.LOL! Brings back memories of Newark Airport in the late 1950's-early 1960's.Very quiet, sleepy little airport then.The Airforce had a squadron of old planes there, right next to the Turnpike when you drove south.Thought they looked like P 38's, think they had the double tail of those jobs.Anyway, around 1961, I was in the front yard in Fort Lee and a squadron of them, maybe 25, flew over me.Must have been a training run.Man, the noise and the ground shook.Must have been that way in Europe in WWII when 500 big heavy bombers flew overhead.
docstox12
docstox12
Wx Statistician Guru
Wx Statistician Guru

Back to top Go down

Post by SNOW MAN Tue Mar 25, 2014 6:56 am

Doc you have some great stories. Sounds like you were just a little mischievous when you were a young lad. lol ! It's funny you mention 1968 Plymouth Fury III, I bought my fathers in 1980 (which he bought as a left over in 1969, that's when he picked up the 69 Road Runner brochure and brought it home, which made me a car guy from that day forward. God rest his soul) when he wanted to buy a new 1980 Chrysler Cordoba. The other car you mentioned the new Challenger is one of the new muscle cars that I own. It's a 2009 Dodge Challenger SRT8 in Hemi orange and the other is a 2013 Hot Wheels Edition Camaro SS in Kinetic blue. I LOVE both of these rides.
  Doc you can ramble all you want, I love talking to guys like you. Your like a walking, talking history book. We use to have a guy in work who was in his 80's, I just loved talking to him. He would tell me stories of when he was young and about WW II, I just loved listening to him. There's nothing like hearing about history from the people who were a part of it. More young people should listen to their elders, perhaps things wouldn't be so out of control in this day and age. Oh well I'll catch up with you later, it's off to shoulder therapy. Thanks for the good stories Doc.

Last edited by SNOW MAN on Tue Mar 25, 2014 9:20 pm; edited 1 time in total
SNOW MAN
SNOW MAN
Senior Enthusiast
Senior Enthusiast

Back to top Go down

Post by Frank_Wx Tue Mar 25, 2014 11:06 am

Mugs you seem like a very passionate teacher who cares immensely about his students and his profession. I admire those teachers the most since they can really instill that type of passion into other students. Keep it up!

CLICK HERE to view NJ Strong Snowstorm Classifications
Frank_Wx
Frank_Wx
Godzilla Seeker
Godzilla Seeker

http://njstrongweather.blogspot.com/

Back to top Go down

Post by docstox12 Wed Mar 26, 2014 11:51 am

Agree 100% Frank.Mugsy is amazing.
docstox12
docstox12
Wx Statistician Guru
Wx Statistician Guru

Back to top Go down

Post by docstox12 Wed Mar 26, 2014 11:59 am

SNOW MAN wrote:Doc you have some great stories. Sounds like you were just a little mischievous when you were a young lad. lol ! It's funny you mention 1968 Plymouth Fury III, I bought my fathers in 1980 (which he bought as a left over in 1969, that's when he picked up the 69 Road Runner brochure and brought it home, which made me a car guy from that day forward. God rest his soul) when he wanted to buy a new 1980 Chrysler Cordoba. The other car you mentioned the new Challenger is one of the new muscle cars that I own. It's a 2009 Dodge Challenger SRT8 in Hemi orange and the other is a 2013 Hot Wheels Edition Camaro SS in Kinetic blue. I LOVE both of these rides.
  Doc you can ramble all you want, I love talking to guys like you. Your like a walking, talking history book. We use to have a guy in work who was in his 80's, I just loved talking to him. He would tell me stories of when he was young and about WW II, I just loved listening to him. There's nothing like hearing about history from the people who were a part of it. More young people should listen to their elders, perhaps things wouldn't be so out of control in this day and age. Oh well I'll catch up with you later, it's off to shoulder therapy. Thanks for the good stories Doc.

Someday SNOW, we will get ouit the beer and have a good long talk about the old car days.

Great cars you own.Enjoy them.They are investments, these days.Should be worth a lot more in 10 years.

One last funny car story for the day.In 1968, I was in High School working Saturdays and Holidays for the local Florist.An old timer there, Pete in his 80's, owned a 1953 Chevy Bel Aire.He gave me 5 bucks to take it to inspection at the Inspection Station in Little Ferry NJ (remember the old Little Ferry Drive in or ANY drive in, but that's another story).I drove it there on Route 46 and noticed that the front seat was pretty loose, sliding front and back.When they got to the brake test, the inspector made me get out.He guns the old heap and slams on the brakes and the front seat slides him right into the steering wheel with the horn blasting.I cracked up and the guy saw that and went ballistic.He ripped me a new one right there screaming he'd have the car impounded! I told him it wasn't my car.Poor Pete, when I got back and told him his car failed for a "loose front seat!"
docstox12
docstox12
Wx Statistician Guru
Wx Statistician Guru

Back to top Go down

Post by amugs Wed Mar 26, 2014 3:14 pm

Frank_Wx wrote:Mugs you seem like a very passionate teacher who cares immensely about his students and his profession. I admire those teachers the most since they can really instill that type of passion into other students. Keep it up!

Thanks Framk.

@DOC - Little Ferry drive in DMV jesus that place was a joke - a bottle of juice in the brown bag usually got the job done down there for a lunchtime liquid lunch or a happy hour pop - I just wet meself again at the story about Pete. Hey, I wish you had that on video of the brake test - I would kill to see that over and over again. Can't stop laughing my students think I am nuts right now but who cares. I can just imagine/picturing this taking place

amugs
amugs

Back to top Go down

Post by docstox12 Wed Mar 26, 2014 6:04 pm

Mugsy, you'd be the first guy I showed that to if I had a tape.That dude just gunned that old heap, slammed on the brakes and wrapped himself up around the steering wheel and horn ring.Kinda like........"ROAR.....SCREECH......BLAAAAAAAAAARE!" All in three seconds!

So friggin' hilarious,I'll see it in my mind forever,LOL!
docstox12
docstox12
Wx Statistician Guru
Wx Statistician Guru

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum