NJ Strong Weather Forum

Join the forum, it's quick and easy

NJ Strong Weather Forum
NJ Strong Weather Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

General Banter

+32
aiannone
mikeypizano
Grselig
billg315
weatherwatchermom
RJB8525
frank 638
dkodgis
Bkdude
elkiehound
Snow88
GreyBeard
nutleyblizzard
Scullybutcher
snow247
jimv45
nancy-j-s
rb924119
Taffy
CPcantmeasuresnow
skinsfan1177
cooladi
oldtimer
SNOW MAN
sroc4
amugs
Math23x7
jmanley32
Quietace
docstox12
Dunnzoo
Frank_Wx
36 posters

Page 19 of 32 Previous  1 ... 11 ... 18, 19, 20 ... 25 ... 32  Next

Go down

General Banter - Page 19 Empty Re: General Banter

Post by sroc4 Sun Jan 03, 2016 4:53 pm

GreyBeard wrote:
Frank_Wx wrote:
GreyBeard wrote:
Frank_Wx wrote:
Bkdude wrote:Frank - I see you made it that one has to be a member now to view any if the threads? How come?

I wanted to encourage lurkers to sign up. During big storm threats they may have questions they wouldn't be able to ask as guests.

There are paid for graphics that are posted on the site on a daily basis. Weatherbell, StormVista, etc. Guests should not have the same privilege to view these graphics like registered members do. Also, you can remain signed in. It's not like you have to sign in everytime you visit the site. There's an option for that. I have no "numbers" to avhieve. There are no advertisements on this forum for registered users. It's as if you sound like I'm trying to profit from this website. I am not.

I had a feeling you were going to take this the wrong way. Just a little constructive criticism is all. Looks like I struck a nerve. You always point out when people try to put words in your mouth which is exactly what you are doing here."It's as if you sound like I'm trying to profit from this website. I am not." Never said that nor did I imply it. As for remaining signed in, well that is something I prefer not to do on any website. Also, the reason I posted here is because this is where it was started by someone,and  responded to by you.

Im Sorry Grey beard.  Although you didn't exactly come out and say it, statements like "This is the first time I've ever seen a forum use this tactic." certainly imply something.  That could have been interpreted many ways.  And to be honest your statement touched a nerve for me.  Frank busts his but for free week in and week out.  And if signing in is the only thing that you need to do to be a part of a great weather enthusiest community without ads and BS so be it.  We do post paid site info on here all the time.  I don't think its too much to ask to simply sign in to read about the weather.

Last edited by sroc4 on Sun Jan 03, 2016 4:57 pm; edited 2 times in total

sroc4
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Frank_Wx Sun Jan 03, 2016 4:54 pm

GreyBeard wrote:
Frank_Wx wrote:
GreyBeard wrote:
Frank_Wx wrote:
Bkdude wrote:Frank - I see you made it that one has to be a member now to view any if the threads? How come?

I wanted to encourage lurkers to sign up. During big storm threats they may have questions they wouldn't be able to ask as guests.

There are paid for graphics that are posted on the site on a daily basis. Weatherbell, StormVista, etc. Guests should not have the same privilege to view these graphics like registered members do. Also, you can remain signed in. It's not like you have to sign in everytime you visit the site. There's an option for that. I have no "numbers" to avhieve. There are no advertisements on this forum for registered users. It's as if you sound like I'm trying to profit from this website. I am not.

I had a feeling you were going to take this the wrong way. Just a little constructive criticism is all. Looks like I struck a nerve. You always point out when people try to put words in your mouth which is exactly what you are doing here."It's as if you sound like I'm trying to profit from this website. I am not." Never said that nor did I imply it. As for remaining signed in, well that is something I prefer not to do on any website. Also, the reason I posted here is because this is where it was started by someone,and  responded to by you.

When you insist this is some sort of "tactic" or me trying to "push numbers up" I'm not sure how you expect me to respond. Bottom line, there are graphics I should not even be posting publicly that I am. There are guests, who in the past, try to take these graphics and spread them on social media. If anyone tries to do that I can at least tie it back to a registered member and let them know not to do it.

If I can make it so it's only one thread that gets blocked from guests I would. But this platform doesn't allow it.

Frank_Wx
Godzilla Seeker
Godzilla Seeker

http://njstrongweather.blogspot.com/

Back to top Go down

Post by jmanley32 Sun Jan 03, 2016 4:59 pm

GreyBeard wrote:
Frank_Wx wrote:
GreyBeard wrote:
Frank_Wx wrote:

Frank is doing everyone a favor here by allowing what can actually be deemed copyright infringement such as wxbell and storm vista, its a very good idea he does this and I always worried for the forum as RM as the regulars know who I am talking about is very serious about wxbell and the Euro. It costs 20 a month to be able to see the intricacies of the Euro, Frank makes nothing on this site, no it was not said but I can see how Frank would have implied this out of your post. Frank keep up the great FREE work and its your site you can do whatever you want, even if it was to drive traffic to make money, shoot thats business, but thats not what you are doing, and we are lucky to have this here.

On a side note Frank for some reason even though I check off stay signed in on good chrome it does not I have to sign in everytime. I think browser issue as my phone and work computer are always signed in.
jmanley32
jmanley32
Senior Enthusiast
Senior Enthusiast

Back to top Go down

Post by dkodgis Sun Jan 03, 2016 5:30 pm

Frank I just made a post about a half hour ago, around 5 pm but it is no longer showing. Is there a way to check my posts myself so I can see what the last one was?
dkodgis
dkodgis
Senior Enthusiast
Senior Enthusiast

Back to top Go down

Post by Dunnzoo Sun Jan 03, 2016 6:02 pm

dkodgis wrote:Frank I just made a post about a half hour ago, around 5 pm but it is no longer showing.  Is there a way to check my posts myself so I can see what the last one was?

I checked for your posts, but the last one I see is 10:30 this morning. If you look on your profile and check statistics (I think it said) it should show your posts.

Snowfall winter of 2023-2024  17.5"    

Snowfall winter of 2022-2023       6.0"
Snowfall winter of 2021-2022     17.6"    1" sleet 2/25/22
Snowfall winter of 2020-2021     51.1"
Snowfall winter of 2019-2020       8.5"
Snowfall winter of 2018-2019     25.1"
Snowfall winter of 2017-2018     51.9"
Snowfall winter of 2016-2017     45.6"
Snowfall winter of 2015-2016     29.5"
Snowfall winter of 2014-2015     50.55"
Snowfall winter of 2013-2014     66.5"
Dunnzoo
Dunnzoo
Senior Enthusiast - Mod
Senior Enthusiast - Mod

Back to top Go down

Post by GreyBeard Sun Jan 03, 2016 6:31 pm

Im Sorry Grey beard.  Although you didn't exactly come out and say it, statements like "This is the first time I've ever seen a forum use this tactic." certainly imply something.  That could have been interpreted many ways.  And to be honest your statement touched a nerve for me.  Frank busts his but for free week in and week out.  And if signing in is the only thing that you need to do to be a part of a great weather enthusiest community without ads and BS so be it.  We do post paid site info on here all the time.  I don't think its too much to ask to simply sign in to read about the weather

Apparently you, sroc, have misinterpreted what I was saying. Any forum I have seen allows you to browse it but you cannot post to it without signing up.The "tactic" I was referring to was that this site,all of a sudden, after 2 years, is no longer allowing you to read posts without first signing up. I guess you guys missed my post where I said :
"I enjoy this forum and all of the knowledgeable people on it, but this just rubbed me the wrong way." I realize Frank puts a lot of time and effort into the site and it is his site, and as jmanley pointed out he can do whatever he wants. I agree it's a great site, very informative and educational. But then again, I've seen where whole threads have been deleted because they were deemed "too political" even though they were here in the general banter section. To me that is akin to censorship and denying of one's freedom of speech.Why have a General Banter section if you are going to regulate what can or cannot be discussed according to whether or not it complies with your agenda. Again, it's your site and you will do what you want.

I know Frank that you like to run a tight ship, but you should also be open to some criticism if someone isn't 100% in agreement with you.

GreyBeard
Senior Enthusiast
Senior Enthusiast

Back to top Go down

Post by GreyBeard Sun Jan 03, 2016 6:41 pm

When you insist this is some sort of "tactic" or me trying to "push numbers up" I'm not sure how you expect me to respond. Bottom line, there are graphics I should not even be posting publicly that I am. There are guests, who in the past, try to take these graphics and spread them on social media. If anyone tries to do that I can at least tie it back to a registered member and let them know not to do it.

If I can make it so it's only one thread that gets blocked from guests I would. But this platform doesn't allow it. [/quote]

I can see your reasoning on this Frank,and thanks for explaining it. I'm not an unreasonable guy, but geez, lighten up a bit Smile

GreyBeard
Senior Enthusiast
Senior Enthusiast

Back to top Go down

Post by sroc4 Sun Jan 03, 2016 7:12 pm

When I first started reading your posts I knew exactly where you were coming from. In fact I can see your point on many levels. However certain comments implied an ulterior motive on Frank's part. Even if you did t mean it that way I read it in that way..sort of. I'm sure if we were face to face enjoying a cold beverage It would have been easier to understand your true meaning. Unfort I only had the words to read.
I'm not sure if you belong to any other weather boards, but The reason we run a tight ship is that things can get out of hand very fast if things go too far. Once that happens it's much harder to reign it all back in. Politics especially is an explosive topic and can get out of hand at the drop of the hat. There are plenty of political forums to enjoy, but this one is not one of them. Anyway no hard feelings my friend.

WINTER 2014/2015 TOTALS 71.20"WINTER 2019/2020 TOTALS 6.35"
WINTER 2015/2016 TOTALS 35.00"WINTER 2020/2021 TOTALS 37.75"
WINTER 2016/2017 TOTALS 42.25"WINTER 2021/2022 TOTALS 31.65" 
sroc4
sroc4
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Sun Jan 03, 2016 7:58 pm

Changing up the topic here.....as a non football fan i find it completely appropriate that the Jets spit the bit today. Playing one of the worst teams in football that had 10 starters out injured and you come up small??????? Same Old Jets.

Back to top Go down

Post by Math23x7 Sun Jan 03, 2016 8:13 pm

syosnow94 wrote:Changing up the topic here.....as a non football fan i find it completely appropriate that the Jets spit the bit today.  Playing one of the worst teams in football that had 10 starters out injured and you come up small???????  Same Old Jets.

I suggest you put that in the Sports Section of the forum, more specifically, under the NFL thread.

But yes, it must be tough if you are a Jet fan.

Math23x7
Wx Statistician Guru
Wx Statistician Guru

Back to top Go down

Post by docstox12 Sun Jan 03, 2016 8:36 pm

GreyBeard wrote:
Im Sorry Grey beard.  Although you didn't exactly come out and say it, statements like "This is the first time I've ever seen a forum use this tactic." certainly imply something.  That could have been interpreted many ways.  And to be honest your statement touched a nerve for me.  Frank busts his but for free week in and week out.  And if signing in is the only thing that you need to do to be a part of a great weather enthusiest community without ads and BS so be it.  We do post paid site info on here all the time.  I don't think its too much to ask to simply sign in to read about the weather

Apparently you, sroc, have misinterpreted what I was saying. Any forum I have seen allows you to browse it but you cannot post to it without signing up.The "tactic" I was referring to was that this site,all of a sudden, after 2 years, is no longer allowing you to read posts without first signing up. I guess you guys missed my post where I said :
"I enjoy this forum and all of the knowledgeable people on it, but this just rubbed me the wrong way." I realize Frank puts a lot of time and effort into the site and it is his site, and as jmanley pointed out he can do whatever he wants. I agree it's a great site, very informative and educational. But then again, I've seen where whole threads have been deleted because they were deemed "too political" even though they were here in the general banter section. To me that is akin to censorship and denying of one's freedom of speech.Why have a General Banter section if you are going to regulate what can or cannot be discussed according to whether or not it complies with your agenda. Again, it's your site and you will do what you want.

I know Frank that you like to run a tight ship, but you should also be open to some criticism if someone isn't 100% in agreement with you.

Hi, Greybeard.As far as Frank deleting the political posts, I do believe that was the right idea.Don't know if you were on or remember the old Channel 7 Board.There was total freedom of speech there and no moderation at all.The result was total chaos, madness and downright spiteful and mean posters going at each others throats.We who were interested in the weather and related model posts had to wade through that jungle daily.Your handle implies you are an "old head" like myself.You remember what your parents taught you like mine taught me.....no politics or religion in mixed company.It leads to anger, divisiveness and bitterness.And here's the kicker....the people screaming and arguing different sides of politics are NOT EVER going to change their positions.People really let loose on the internet as there is no danger of any physical retaliation like if you were discussing these topics in a shot and beer gin mill and some guy cold cocks you as a result of a disagreement.

Just my two cents here and I wish you a Happy New Year!!
docstox12
docstox12
Wx Statistician Guru
Wx Statistician Guru

Back to top Go down

Post by GreyBeard Mon Jan 04, 2016 12:59 pm

@docstox12, you are right about me being an "old head". I was not a member the old board, but I've read on here about how crazy it became. You bring up many valid points, and this being a weather board, weather should be the main focus. You have a Happy New Year too.

@sroc, no hard feelings here my friend. I look forward to reading your informative and educational posts. I know you, Frank,mugs,Dunzoo and many others put a lot of time and effort into this site and it is appreciated.

GreyBeard
Senior Enthusiast
Senior Enthusiast

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Wed Jan 06, 2016 11:55 am

I'd just like to welcome one of my very "special" friends to the board Leftyc7. Not the brightest guy, but real passionate about the weather.

Back to top Go down

Post by Frank_Wx Wed Jan 06, 2016 10:43 pm

Welcome to him!

Also, HAPPY BIRTHDAY TO OUR VERY OWN JANET AKA DUNNZOO

CLICK HERE to view NJ Strong Snowstorm Classifications
Frank_Wx
Frank_Wx
Godzilla Seeker
Godzilla Seeker

Back to top Go down

Post by Dunnzoo Thu Jan 07, 2016 8:00 am

Thanks Frank!

Dunnzoo
Dunnzoo
Senior Enthusiast - Mod
Senior Enthusiast - Mod

Back to top Go down

Post by docstox12 Thu Jan 07, 2016 8:14 am

Dunz, Happy Birthday you young whippersnapper!!!!!
docstox12
docstox12
Wx Statistician Guru
Wx Statistician Guru

Back to top Go down

Post by frank 638 Sun Jan 10, 2016 12:19 pm

i cant believe no body hit the power ball last nite now its up to 1.3 billion dollars that would change our life for good buona fortuna good luck to everyone . Very Happy Laughing bounce Thumbs up party

frank 638
Senior Enthusiast
Senior Enthusiast

Back to top Go down

Post by Dunnzoo Wed Jan 13, 2016 11:10 pm

Well, gotta go to work tomorrow, no winner here.....

Dunnzoo
Dunnzoo
Senior Enthusiast - Mod
Senior Enthusiast - Mod

Back to top Go down

Post by RJB8525 Thu Jan 14, 2016 12:14 am

Didn't even get 1 lousy number on 10 quick picks

Early reports of winner in L.A
RJB8525
RJB8525
Senior Enthusiast
Senior Enthusiast

Back to top Go down

Post by Frank_Wx Sun Jan 17, 2016 10:18 am

This is what's getting me through today. Coconut milk, Greek yogurt, strawberry, blueberry, mango, whey protein, banana, ginger root 

General Banter - Page 19 20160117_100235.thumb.jpg.fa3d1c42a00e44fef17d2a3c42dfc5d0

CLICK HERE to view NJ Strong Snowstorm Classifications
Frank_Wx
Frank_Wx
Godzilla Seeker
Godzilla Seeker

Back to top Go down

Post by amugs Sun Jan 17, 2016 10:35 am

Jesus I though going to the bathroom would never be so exhilarating or special until you have surgery and have to go or else dr e needs to come along. My god what painkillers do to ones bowels!! Sorry but banter and I feel 100x better now.

How about dem Packers? Are u kidding me a duece on the HM pass? And then the toss of the coin - never flipped - that is nuts. You can make this stuff up!

Anyone need a girdle when I am done with mine?? Just asking.

WINTER 2014-15 : 55.12" +.02 for 6 coatings (avg. 35")
WINTER 2015-16 Total - 29.8" (Avg 35")
WINTER 2016-17 : 39.5" so far
amugs
amugs
Advanced Forecaster - Mod
Advanced Forecaster - Mod

Back to top Go down

Post by docstox12 Mon Feb 01, 2016 11:17 am

Well, I guess the old Italian Grandmothers who used to put all their cash in a mattress ( a deceased buddy of mine's Grandmother did.When she died she had 10,000 dollars in 1930's issued bills in her mattress) because they did not trust the banks after the bank runs in the Depression, are going to be proven right again.Japan goes to NEGATIVE interest rates joining Switzerland.In short, what this means is the banks CHARGE you 1 or 2 percent to keep your money there "safely".All the result of massive world Central Banks printing currency to try to stimulate world economies.Is it working.......NOT. USA growth last quarter .7%, almost a recession!!!

Investors take heed!!!!!
docstox12
docstox12
Wx Statistician Guru
Wx Statistician Guru

Back to top Go down

Post by CPcantmeasuresnow Mon Feb 01, 2016 11:43 pm

docstox12 wrote:Well, I guess the old Italian Grandmothers who used to put all their cash in a mattress ( a deceased buddy of mine's Grandmother did.When she died she had 10,000 dollars in 1930's issued bills in her mattress) because they did not trust the banks after the bank runs in the Depression, are going to be proven right again.Japan goes to NEGATIVE interest rates joining Switzerland.In short, what this means is the banks CHARGE you 1 or 2 percent to keep your money there "safely".All the result of massive world Central Banks printing currency to try to stimulate world economies.Is it working.......NOT. USA growth last quarter .7%, almost a recession!!!

Investors take heed!!!!!

Great advice Doc. I totally agree, the chickens are about to come home to roost. 8 years of this stupid 0% interest rate policy and three QE's to boot and all its done is leave us in mountains of debt with an inflated market that's teetering towards the abyss.
CPcantmeasuresnow
CPcantmeasuresnow
Wx Statistician Guru
Wx Statistician Guru

Back to top Go down

Post by docstox12 Tue Feb 02, 2016 7:02 am

CPcantmeasuresnow wrote:
docstox12 wrote:Well, I guess the old Italian Grandmothers who used to put all their cash in a mattress ( a deceased buddy of mine's Grandmother did.When she died she had 10,000 dollars in 1930's issued bills in her mattress) because they did not trust the banks after the bank runs in the Depression, are going to be proven right again.Japan goes to NEGATIVE interest rates joining Switzerland.In short, what this means is the banks CHARGE you 1 or 2 percent to keep your money there "safely".All the result of massive world Central Banks printing currency to try to stimulate world economies.Is it working.......NOT. USA growth last quarter .7%, almost a recession!!!

Investors take heed!!!!!

Great advice Doc. I totally agree, the chickens are about to come home to roost. 8 years of this stupid 0% interest rate policy and three  QE's to boot and all its done is leave us in mountains of debt with an inflated market that's  teetering towards the abyss.

Yep, Keynesian Economics on steroids courtesy of the Fed.Result.....horrible recovery with employee participation rate at 40 year lows.Now they are about to repeat the mistake they made in 1937.Raise rates in the midst of a weak recovery.

I'm not putting political blame on anybody with this, as you always say CP, I am only the messenger.Just putting it out there that lot's of money will be made when these bubbles burst if you are in the right investment vehicles.Think like Jesse Livermore did in 1929,LOL!!!
docstox12
docstox12
Wx Statistician Guru
Wx Statistician Guru

Back to top Go down

Post by docstox12 Thu Feb 04, 2016 6:40 am

Passed a gas station on Route 4.  1.45 per gallon!  When I started driving in 1968, we had two cars in the family, a 1959 Ford Custom 300 with a 292 HP V-8 and a 1963 Grand Prix with a 389 4bbl V-* (same engine as the GTO), both gas guzzlers.I was able to get gas for 28 cents a gallon in 1968.All you needed to do was get your timing light out and tweak your timing to burn the crap gas without pings and pre-ignition,LOL.Those were the days a backyard mechanic like me could do any job on a car.Good luck with that today.Anyhoo, I'm willing to bet that 1.45 a gallon today adjusted for inflation is less than the 28 cents I paid in '68.

When I was flush from a part time job, I could fill up the '63 Grand Prix with Hi-Test (we called it Ethyl as in "fill it up with Ethyl,lol).That 389 4bbl really had guts with that top shelf gas!! Peeling rubber!!!!!

Anyway, a tip o' the hat to the dumbass Saudi's for starting an oil price war,LOL!
docstox12
docstox12
Wx Statistician Guru
Wx Statistician Guru

Back to top Go down

Post by Quietace Thu Feb 04, 2016 7:46 am

docstox12 wrote:Passed a gas station on Route 4.  1.45 per gallon!  When I started driving in 1968, we had two cars in the family, a 1959 Ford Custom 300 with a 292 HP V-8 and a 1963 Grand Prix with a 389 4bbl V-* (same engine as the GTO), both gas guzzlers.I was able to get gas for 28 cents a gallon in 1968.All you needed to do was get your timing light out and tweak your timing to burn the crap gas without pings and pre-ignition,LOL.Those were the days a backyard mechanic like me could do any job on a car.Good luck with that today.Anyhoo, I'm willing to bet that 1.45 a gallon today adjusted for inflation is less than the 28 cents I paid in '68.

When I was flush from a part time job, I could fill up the '63 Grand Prix with Hi-Test (we called it Ethyl as in "fill it up with Ethyl,lol).That 389 4bbl really had guts with that top shelf gas!! Peeling rubber!!!!!

Anyway, a tip o' the hat to the dumbass Saudi's for starting an oil price war,LOL!
.28 cents is equivalent to $1.95 in 2016 dollars...$1.45 today was .21 cents in 1968. So you are certainly correct.
Quietace
Quietace
Meteorologist - Mod
Meteorologist - Mod

Back to top Go down

Post by docstox12 Thu Feb 04, 2016 7:59 am

Thanks, Ryan, I had a feeling I was right.Gas is cheaper today on a relative basis than in 1968.

Saudi's war on our shale oil industry is succeeding so far.Personally, I think their real fear, and why they started pumping out record oil amounts, was to knock out our wind and solar industry.
docstox12
docstox12
Wx Statistician Guru
Wx Statistician Guru

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 19 of 32 Previous  1 ... 11 ... 18, 19, 20 ... 25 ... 32  Next

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum