NJ Strong Weather Forum

Join the forum, it's quick and easy

NJ Strong Weather Forum
NJ Strong Weather Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

General Banter

+32
aiannone
mikeypizano
Grselig
billg315
weatherwatchermom
RJB8525
frank 638
dkodgis
Bkdude
elkiehound
Snow88
GreyBeard
nutleyblizzard
Scullybutcher
snow247
jimv45
nancy-j-s
rb924119
Taffy
CPcantmeasuresnow
skinsfan1177
cooladi
oldtimer
SNOW MAN
sroc4
amugs
Math23x7
jmanley32
Quietace
docstox12
Dunnzoo
Frank_Wx
36 posters

Page 24 of 32 Previous  1 ... 13 ... 23, 24, 25 ... 28 ... 32  Next

Go down

General Banter - Page 24 Empty Re: General Banter

Post by Guest Sun Nov 13, 2016 5:44 pm

I think we are being pretty civil

Back to top Go down

Post by Frank_Wx Sun Nov 13, 2016 10:15 pm

Frank_Wx wrote:The banter is civil. That's all I ask Smile

syosnow94 wrote:I think we are being pretty civil

I agree. For the record, I also agree with much of what you said.

Frank_Wx
Godzilla Seeker
Godzilla Seeker

http://njstrongweather.blogspot.com/

Back to top Go down

Post by Quietace Mon Nov 14, 2016 9:53 am

syosnow94 wrote:Could not have said it better myself Doc. And I too am an independent!!!  However I do believe that today's generation of entitlement and lack of social skills plays a HUGE role.
I will add my two cents here because I can no longer hold back.
I have personally been working since I was 13. The Last two summers I have worked between 60-80 hours a week to pay for my college and to save. I also take classes while doing that. This is while many kids work one night and COMPLAIN that they have to do it.

Then, during the semester  they whine about how they have no money, how they have loans out, and how they are broke. During the semester, I take a full load, and work, and I am on the Local AMS Chapter Board. Then these people whine about the cost of college. Fist of all, college is not entitled to anyone like many people try and make it seem. Secondly, If anyone my age had a work ethic, and separated themselves from the however many number of college graduates a year, they might not be sitting at home or flipping burgers. I didnt realize the truth of the fact that many employers cant find workers with the right skills. Up here many people are liberal arts majors and so on, and brag about how they get C's and such. I cant help to think my hard earned money will be going to subsidize there lack of effort and carelessness one day.  I personally cringe at that.

Let alone some left leaning individuals want to punish me for working hard, saving, and investing my money at 19 years old. And because of myself saving and investing since 13, I should subsidize other people who haven't worked as hard as myself. Go figure.
That will be the first and last time I ever vent.
Have a nice day.
Quietace
Quietace
Meteorologist - Mod
Meteorologist - Mod

Back to top Go down

Post by sroc4 Mon Nov 14, 2016 10:13 am

Quietace wrote:
syosnow94 wrote:Could not have said it better myself Doc. And I too am an independent!!!  However I do believe that today's generation of entitlement and lack of social skills plays a HUGE role.
I have personally been working since I was 13. The Last two summers I have worked between 60-80 hours a week to pay for my college and to save. I also take classes while doing that. This is while many kids work one night and COMPLAIN that they have to do it.

Then, during the semester  they whine about how they have no money, how they have loans out, and how they are broke. During the semester, I take a full load, and work, and I am on the Local AMS Chapter Board. Then these people whine about the cost of college. Fist of all, college is not entitled to anyone like many people try and make it seem. Secondly, If anyone my age had a work ethic, and separated themselves from the however many number of college graduates a year, they might not be sitting at home or flipping burgers. I didnt realize the truth of the fact that many employers cant find workers with the right skills. Up here many people are liberal arts majors and so on, and brag about how they get C's and such. I cant help to think my hard earned money will be going to subsidize there lack of effort and carelessness one day.  I personally cringe at that.

Let alone some left leaning individuals want to punish me for working hard, saving, and investing my money at 19 years old. And because of myself saving and investing since 13, I should subsidize other people who haven't worked as hard as myself. Go figure.
Have a nice day.

Thumbs up

Ryan I am literally standing up and applauding you for this. You are so right. There arent enough kids like you, and more importantly there are not enough parents who raise kids like you. So I am also applauding your parents for have laid a foundation for you that you will lay for your own kids, if or when you have them. So again Bravo sir.

WINTER 2014/2015 TOTALS 71.20"WINTER 2019/2020 TOTALS 6.35"
WINTER 2015/2016 TOTALS 35.00"WINTER 2020/2021 TOTALS 37.75"
WINTER 2016/2017 TOTALS 42.25"WINTER 2021/2022 TOTALS 31.65" 
sroc4
sroc4
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by docstox12 Mon Nov 14, 2016 11:12 am

Ryan, you are what I call "old School", hard working and ambitious.Thanks for the feedback on the state of SOME college students.As Doc said in his above post, congrats to your parents for raising a fine young man as yourself.I will say in that regard, coming from the stone ages of the 50's and 60's, it must be very hard for parents today to raise kids in the right mold.In my day there was no money, no computers, no video games, no sex, drugs, booze.You went to school, worked your part time job, and in my case in addition to that, was at my Dad's beck and call for any work on the properties.My point is, there were no distractions way back to get you off the bright path.The sad thing about the way these college professors have their "safe spaces" and such, is that working and surviving in the real world is totally different then college and there will be no excuses then.
docstox12
docstox12
Wx Statistician Guru
Wx Statistician Guru

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Mon Nov 14, 2016 1:00 pm

Quietace wrote:

Have a nice day.

I as well stand and applaud you. 19 years old or not this post makes you more of an "adult" than most of the actual ones I know. It is so easy to see right from wrong. You have a head start already being there at 19. Well done. cheers cheers

Back to top Go down

Post by billg315 Thu Nov 17, 2016 4:08 pm

Quietace wrote:

Have a nice day.

Amen to that. You articulated the situation perfectly.
billg315
billg315
Advanced Forecaster - Mod

Back to top Go down

Post by Quietace Sun Nov 27, 2016 5:14 pm

I am very disappointed you have not saved every single one of my memes over the years and included them on the site. Should be near 300 I would say.
facepalm

I do approve of this...
bananadude bananadude bananadude bananadude bananadude bananadude bananadude bananadude bananadude bananadude bananadude bananadude bananadude bananadude bananadude bananadude bananadude bananadude
Quietace
Quietace
Meteorologist - Mod
Meteorologist - Mod

Back to top Go down

Post by Frank_Wx Sun Nov 27, 2016 5:33 pm

If you have suggestions I'll be glad to add them Very Happy

CLICK HERE to view NJ Strong Snowstorm Classifications
Frank_Wx
Frank_Wx
Godzilla Seeker
Godzilla Seeker

Back to top Go down

Post by Math23x7 Mon Nov 28, 2016 9:27 pm

I am a guy that usually likes to keep the General Banter thread separate from the OTI Thread.  However, I felt that this was the place to put this:

Last January, on the OTI Thread, CP mentioned that someone close to him had died from cancer at the age of 53.  This was what I wrote in a reply post:

A couple of months ago, I finally broke into the work field that I had been striving for for years.  The job coach I was given was very nice and very helpful and was a great go-to person.  I didn't know this until he mentioned it in an e-mail but a few years ago a tumor was discovered in his brain.  He had surgery to contain it and was able to return to work without much of problem.  In the aforementioned e-mail he wrote, he mentioned that the tumor started growing again.  Not only that, a second tumor has developed on the other side of his brain.  He came into the work last Monday to hand off his work to his colleagues and we had one final discussion before he began his leaf of absence for what will likely be another surgery.  He is 35 years old.  That's right.  Thirty-five years old.  He hopes to be back in a few months, but I am very worried he may not. Sad

As it turns out, that Monday that I mentioned turned out to be his last day at work.  Last Thursday (Thanksgiving Day) he passed away at the age of 36 after a long battle with cancer.  He is survived by his wife, 2-year old son, two siblings, and parents. It was a sad day at work when we were informed. Sad

Last edited by Math23x7 on Mon Nov 28, 2016 9:41 pm; edited 2 times in total

Math23x7
Wx Statistician Guru
Wx Statistician Guru

Back to top Go down

Post by Frank_Wx Mon Nov 28, 2016 9:33 pm

Very sad Mike. Sorry to hear. Sounded like a great mentor. Cancer is awful.

Frank_Wx
Frank_Wx
Godzilla Seeker
Godzilla Seeker

Back to top Go down

Post by dkodgis Wed Nov 30, 2016 5:43 pm

The Lord gives and the Lord takes and while this and many things that happen to us over a lifetime occur...we see things that either darken our hearts or teach us wisdom; we get to choose. Anything we see today, the years know many things the days do not. Time helps bring things into focus. I know this is little to offer but I hope it helps.
dkodgis
dkodgis
Senior Enthusiast
Senior Enthusiast

Back to top Go down

Post by docstox12 Thu Dec 01, 2016 7:09 am

Mike, so sorry to hear of your mentor's passing at the young age of 36.One thing you can take out of this is that each day we receive is a precious gift from the Lord and we must appreciate and enjoy the time we have been given.I pray for this man's family and for you for healing after this terrible event.
docstox12
docstox12
Wx Statistician Guru
Wx Statistician Guru

Back to top Go down

Post by docstox12 Fri Dec 23, 2016 5:50 am

I would like to take this opportunity to wish everybody on this wonderful board a Merry Christmas and a Happy New Year,May 2017 bring peace, health and prosperity to all!!! Oh, and while we are at it, how about a nice area wide 24 to 30 inch snowstorm too!!

God Bless.....DOC
docstox12
docstox12
Wx Statistician Guru
Wx Statistician Guru

Back to top Go down

Post by dkodgis Fri Dec 23, 2016 7:03 am

Doc, thank you. Right back at you. Happy and safe holidays to all.
dkodgis
dkodgis
Senior Enthusiast
Senior Enthusiast

Back to top Go down

Post by Frank_Wx Sun Dec 25, 2016 8:29 pm

STAR WARS THE FORCE AWAKENS IS ON TV. BEST WAY TO END CHRISTMAS!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Frank_Wx
Frank_Wx
Godzilla Seeker
Godzilla Seeker

Back to top Go down

Post by CPcantmeasuresnow Sun Dec 25, 2016 11:49 pm

docstox12 wrote:I would like to take this opportunity to wish everybody on this wonderful board a Merry Christmas and a Happy New Year,May 2017 bring peace, health and prosperity to all!!! Oh, and while we are at it, how about a nice area wide 24 to 30 inch snowstorm too!!

God Bless.....DOC

Before Christmas comes to a close may I give the Doc a big Amen on the above.
CPcantmeasuresnow
CPcantmeasuresnow
Wx Statistician Guru
Wx Statistician Guru

Back to top Go down

Post by amugs Thu Dec 29, 2016 2:20 pm

Ugghhhh!! My son suffered a fluke hip injury in pregame warm ups were he tore the muscle off the front hip bone - out for 4 weeks. Surgery or rest were the options but surgery not 100% guaranteed and would be season ending. Option rest is a no brainer.

WINTER 2014-15 : 55.12" +.02 for 6 coatings (avg. 35")
WINTER 2015-16 Total - 29.8" (Avg 35")
WINTER 2016-17 : 39.5" so far
amugs
amugs

Back to top Go down

Post by docstox12 Thu Dec 29, 2016 2:28 pm

Mugsy, sorry to hear about your son.Thank God he is a youngster and will heal fast.Rest sounds like the best option to me as well.
docstox12
docstox12
Wx Statistician Guru
Wx Statistician Guru

Back to top Go down

Post by Dunnzoo Thu Dec 29, 2016 2:46 pm

amugs wrote:Ugghhhh!! My son suffered a fluke hip injury in pregame warm ups were he tore the muscle off the front hip bone - out for 4 weeks. Surgery or rest were the options but surgery not 100% guaranteed and would be season ending. Option rest is a no brainer.

Ow! Sorry to hear mugsy! Hope he feels better soon!

Snowfall winter of 2023-2024  17.5"    

Snowfall winter of 2022-2023       6.0"
Snowfall winter of 2021-2022     17.6"    1" sleet 2/25/22
Snowfall winter of 2020-2021     51.1"
Snowfall winter of 2019-2020       8.5"
Snowfall winter of 2018-2019     25.1"
Snowfall winter of 2017-2018     51.9"
Snowfall winter of 2016-2017     45.6"
Snowfall winter of 2015-2016     29.5"
Snowfall winter of 2014-2015     50.55"
Snowfall winter of 2013-2014     66.5"
Dunnzoo
Dunnzoo
Senior Enthusiast - Mod
Senior Enthusiast - Mod

Back to top Go down

Post by Frank_Wx Thu Dec 29, 2016 11:38 pm

amugs wrote:Ugghhhh!! My son suffered a fluke hip injury in pregame warm ups were he tore the muscle off the front hip bone - out for 4 weeks. Surgery or rest were the options but surgery not 100% guaranteed and would be season ending. Option rest is a no brainer.

Dang, sorry to here Mugsy. Hope he has a speedy recovery.

Frank_Wx
Frank_Wx
Godzilla Seeker
Godzilla Seeker

Back to top Go down

Post by Dunnzoo Fri Dec 30, 2016 5:43 pm

Frank_Wx wrote:STAR WARS THE FORCE AWAKENS IS ON TV. BEST WAY TO END CHRISTMAS!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Best way to end the year... Star Wars Rogue One at the IMAX! Awesome!

Dunnzoo
Dunnzoo
Senior Enthusiast - Mod
Senior Enthusiast - Mod

Back to top Go down

Post by Dunnzoo Sat Dec 31, 2016 8:29 pm

So throwing it out there... Alex and I were going to try to get together Sunday, Jan. 1st in the city about 5 ish... anyone interested in meeting up? Thinking somewhere near Penn Station.. btw Happy New Year!

Dunnzoo
Dunnzoo
Senior Enthusiast - Mod
Senior Enthusiast - Mod

Back to top Go down

Post by Frank_Wx Fri Jan 06, 2017 7:02 am

Happy birthday Dunnzoo!!!!

Frank_Wx
Frank_Wx
Godzilla Seeker
Godzilla Seeker

Back to top Go down

Post by Dunnzoo Fri Jan 06, 2017 7:37 am

Frank_Wx wrote:Happy birthday Dunnzoo!!!!

Thanks Frank!

Dunnzoo
Dunnzoo
Senior Enthusiast - Mod
Senior Enthusiast - Mod

Back to top Go down

Post by CPcantmeasuresnow Fri Jan 06, 2017 8:23 am

Dunnzoo wrote:
Frank_Wx wrote:STAR WARS THE FORCE AWAKENS IS ON TV. BEST WAY TO END CHRISTMAS!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Best way to end the year... Star Wars Rogue One at the IMAX! Awesome!

loved it, answered many unanswered questions from previous episodes.

Happy Birthday Janet, "the force is with you, you're one with the force"
CPcantmeasuresnow
CPcantmeasuresnow
Wx Statistician Guru
Wx Statistician Guru

Back to top Go down

Post by docstox12 Fri Jan 06, 2017 9:19 am

Janet Happy Birthday!!!!!
docstox12
docstox12
Wx Statistician Guru