NJ Strong Weather Forum

Join the forum, it's quick and easy

NJ Strong Weather Forum
NJ Strong Weather Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

General Banter

+32
aiannone
mikeypizano
Grselig
billg315
weatherwatchermom
RJB8525
frank 638
dkodgis
Bkdude
elkiehound
Snow88
GreyBeard
nutleyblizzard
Scullybutcher
snow247
jimv45
nancy-j-s
rb924119
Taffy
CPcantmeasuresnow
skinsfan1177
cooladi
oldtimer
SNOW MAN
sroc4
amugs
Math23x7
jmanley32
Quietace
docstox12
Dunnzoo
Frank_Wx
36 posters

Page 26 of 32 Previous  1 ... 14 ... 25, 26, 27 ... 32  Next

Go down

General Banter - Page 26 Empty Re: General Banter

Post by Frank_Wx Sat Feb 11, 2017 7:26 pm

frank 638 wrote:We are doing the same frank I am making veal marsala with white rice broccoli rabe and garlic bread but I love her

Sounds great. I am making tilapia and sirloin (incase she does not like fish), broccoli rabe, roasted red potato w/ rosemary and mozzarella and roasted red pepper for antipasto.

For dessert, I got lobster tails (yes, it's a name of a dessert).

Madonne, those are my favorite.

Frank_Wx
Godzilla Seeker
Godzilla Seeker

http://njstrongweather.blogspot.com/

Back to top Go down

Post by frank 638 Sat Feb 11, 2017 7:42 pm

Frank that sounds delicious what time is dinner

frank 638
Senior Enthusiast
Senior Enthusiast

Back to top Go down

Post by docstox12 Sun Feb 12, 2017 7:05 am

Frank_Wx wrote:Cooking for my GF tonight. What have I turned into?

Jk, she's worth it.

If she doesn't like garlic, dump her.LOL, just kidding Frank, but one of my buddies, a fellow Paisan, would get to that withn 5 minutes of meeting a new girl.If she didn't like garlic, he walked away.He is a great cook too.Hope you enjoyed the dinner, sounds like it was a winner.Broccoli rabe and garlic...........THE BEST.
docstox12
docstox12
Wx Statistician Guru
Wx Statistician Guru

Back to top Go down

Post by Dunnzoo Sun Feb 12, 2017 9:00 pm

After adding the OTI Kingdom thread, if anyone stumbles across this forum, they'll think we are crazy geek Hope they join because it sure is fun!

Snowfall winter of 2023-2024  17.5"    

Snowfall winter of 2022-2023       6.0"
Snowfall winter of 2021-2022     17.6"    1" sleet 2/25/22
Snowfall winter of 2020-2021     51.1"
Snowfall winter of 2019-2020       8.5"
Snowfall winter of 2018-2019     25.1"
Snowfall winter of 2017-2018     51.9"
Snowfall winter of 2016-2017     45.6"
Snowfall winter of 2015-2016     29.5"
Snowfall winter of 2014-2015     50.55"
Snowfall winter of 2013-2014     66.5"
Dunnzoo
Dunnzoo
Senior Enthusiast - Mod
Senior Enthusiast - Mod

Back to top Go down

Post by docstox12 Mon Feb 13, 2017 6:52 am

https://imgur.com/gallery/JcG3B

Thought these might come in handy for those with skills in home maintenance.
docstox12
docstox12
Wx Statistician Guru
Wx Statistician Guru

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Tue Feb 14, 2017 1:36 pm

All of you my weather forum family read this. Regardless of political affiliation I hope you will agree......

This is exactly what is wrong with our country! AMERICA FIRST ! ! ! !

LETTER FROM A FLORIDA TEACHER

Do you know that we have adult students at the school where I teach who are NOT U.S. citizens and who get the PELL Grant, which is a federal grant (no payback required) plus other federal grants to go to school?

One student from the Dominican Republic told me that she didn't want me to find a job for her after she finished my program, because she was getting housing from our housing department and she was getting a PELL Grant which paid for her total tuition and books, plus money left over.

She was looking into WAIT which gives students a CREDIT CARD for gas to come to school, and into CARIBE which is a special program (check it out - I did) for immigrants and it pays for child care and all sorts of needs while they go to school or training. The one student I just mentioned told me she was not going to be a U.S. Citizen because she plans to return to the Dominican Republic someday and that she 'loves HER country.’

I asked her if she felt guilty taking what the U.S. is giving her and then not even bothering to become a citizen and she told me that it doesn't bother her, because that is what the money is there for!

I asked the CARIBE administration about their program and if you ARE a U.S. citizen, you don't qualify for their program. And all the while, I am working a full day, my son-in-law works more than 60 hours a week, and everyone in my family works and pays for our education.

Something is wrong here. I am sorry, but after hearing that they want to sing the National Anthem in Spanish - enough is enough. That's a real slap in the face. It was written by Francis Scott Key and should be sung word for word the way it was written. The news broadcasts even gave the translation -- not even close.

I don't care whether this offends someone or not but this is MY COUNTRY. IF IT IS YOUR COUNTRY SPEAK UP -- please pass this along. I am not against immigration -- I just expect immigrants to come through like everyone else. Get a sponsor; have a place to lay your head; have a job; pay your taxes, live by the rules AND LEARN THE LANGUAGE as all other immigrants have in the past -- and GOD BLESS AMERICA!

PART OF THE PROBLEM - Think about this: If you don't want to forward this for fear of offending someone-YOU'RE PART OF THE PROBLEM! It is Time for REAL America to speak up. If you agree -- pass this along!

Back to top Go down

Post by sroc4 Tue Feb 14, 2017 3:06 pm

Love it Jimmy.

WINTER 2014/2015 TOTALS 71.20"WINTER 2019/2020 TOTALS 6.35"
WINTER 2015/2016 TOTALS 35.00"WINTER 2020/2021 TOTALS 37.75"
WINTER 2016/2017 TOTALS 42.25"WINTER 2021/2022 TOTALS 31.65" 
sroc4
sroc4
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Quietace Tue Feb 14, 2017 5:22 pm

syosnow94 wrote:All of you my weather forum family read this.  Regardless of political affiliation I hope you will agree......

This is exactly what is wrong with our country!    AMERICA FIRST ! ! ! !

Do you know that we have adult students at the school where I teach who are NOT U.S. citizens and who get the PELL Grant, which is a federal grant (no payback required) plus other federal grants to go to school?  

One student from  the Dominican Republic told me that she didn't want me to find a job for her after she finished my  program, because she was getting housing from our housing department and she was getting a PELL Grant which paid for her total tuition and books, plus money left over.  

She was looking  into WAIT which gives students a CREDIT CARD for gas to come to school, and  into CARIBE which is a special program (check it out - I did) for immigrants  and it pays for child care and all sorts of needs while they go  to school or training. The one student I just mentioned told me she was not  going to be a U.S. Citizen because she plans to return to  the Dominican Republic someday and that she 'loves HER country.’

I asked her if she felt guilty taking what the U.S. is giving her and then  not even bothering to become a citizen and she told me that it doesn't  bother her, because  that is what the money is there for!

I asked the CARIBE  administration about their program and if you ARE a U.S. citizen, you don't  qualify for their  program.  And all the while, I am  working a full day,  my son-in-law works more than 60 hours a week, and  everyone in my family works and pays for our education.  

Something is wrong  here. I am sorry,  but after hearing that they want to  sing the National  Anthem in Spanish - enough is enough. That's a real slap in the face. It was  written by Francis Scott Key and should be sung word for word the way it was written. The news broadcasts even gave the  translation -- not even close.  

I don't care  whether this offends someone or not but this is MY COUNTRY.   IF IT IS  YOUR COUNTRY SPEAK UP -- please pass this along.  I am not against  immigration -- I just expect immigrants to come through like everyone else. Get a sponsor; have a place to lay your head; have a job; pay your taxes, live by the rules AND LEARN THE LANGUAGE as all other immigrants have in the past  -- and GOD BLESS AMERICA!  

PART OF THE PROBLEM  - Think about this: If you don't want to forward this for fear of offending someone-YOU'RE PART OF THE PROBLEM! It is Time for REAL America   to speak up.   If you agree --  pass this along!

Do not get me started. We had an immigration conversation the other day in the student center. I was the only conservative view point there. I said something that disagreed with everyone's view and they asked me to leave since I "offended" the foreigners who get to go to the University for free. That is how sad this country has become.
Quietace
Quietace
Meteorologist - Mod
Meteorologist - Mod

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Tue Feb 14, 2017 5:46 pm

While I agree with his/her general assertion that immigrants should make every effort to assimilate into the country to which they're relocating, I think the message is done very much in a "preach to the choir" method. In other words, I don't think s/he's trying to sway opinion as much as s/he is trying to arouse passions. On a more personal note, I don't understand the purpose in these kind of things. I mean, the people who will agree with him/her will already echo those sentiments and the people that disagree will only dig their heels in deeper. Not that either side will listen to the other anyways.

Back to top Go down

Post by sroc4 Wed Feb 15, 2017 7:17 am

TheAresian wrote:While I agree with his/her general assertion that immigrants should make every effort to assimilate into the country to which they're relocating, I think the message is done very much in a "preach to the choir" method. In other words, I don't think s/he's trying to sway opinion as much as s/he is trying to arouse passions. On a more personal note, I don't understand the purpose in these kind of things. I mean, the people who will agree with him/her will already echo those sentiments and the people that disagree will only dig their heels in deeper. Not that either side will listen to the other anyways.

Aresian...This is the sad truth.  

Theodore Roosevelt – Immigration (1919)

“In the first place, we should insist that if the immigrant who comes here in good faith becomes an American and assimilates himself to us, he shall be treated on an exact equality with everyone else, for it is an outrage to discriminate against any such man because of creed, or birthplace, or origin. But this is predicated upon the person’s becoming in every facet an American, and nothing but an American…There can be no divided allegiance here. Any man who says he is an American, but something else also, isn’t an American at all. We have room for but one flag, the American flag… We have room for but one language here, and that is the English language… and we have room for but one sole loyalty and that is a loyalty to the American people.”

WINTER 2014/2015 TOTALS 71.20"WINTER 2019/2020 TOTALS 6.35"
WINTER 2015/2016 TOTALS 35.00"WINTER 2020/2021 TOTALS 37.75"
WINTER 2016/2017 TOTALS 42.25"WINTER 2021/2022 TOTALS 31.65" 
sroc4
sroc4
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by CPcantmeasuresnow Wed Feb 15, 2017 8:32 am

sroc4 wrote:
TheAresian wrote:While I agree with his/her general assertion that immigrants should make every effort to assimilate into the country to which they're relocating, I think the message is done very much in a "preach to the choir" method. In other words, I don't think s/he's trying to sway opinion as much as s/he is trying to arouse passions. On a more personal note, I don't understand the purpose in these kind of things. I mean, the people who will agree with him/her will already echo those sentiments and the people that disagree will only dig their heels in deeper. Not that either side will listen to the other anyways.

Aresian...This is the sad truth.  

Theodore Roosevelt – Immigration (1919)

“In the first place, we should insist that if the immigrant who comes here in good faith becomes an American and assimilates himself to us, he shall be treated on an exact equality with everyone else, for it is an outrage to discriminate against any such man because of creed, or birthplace, or origin. But this is predicated upon the person’s becoming in every facet an American, and nothing but an American…There can be no divided allegiance here. Any man who says he is an American, but something else also, isn’t an American at all. We have room for but one flag, the American flag… We have room for but one language here, and that is the English language… and we have room for but one sole loyalty and that is a loyalty to the American people.”

On OTI we learned early in our history that when someone becomes a citizen they can no longer reference their former land, they are a citizen of OTI or "Otian" as we call ourselves with no hyphens allowed.

Like many countries we learned the hard way. In our first year as a country my half Italian, half Yukranian ancestry caused such inner turmoil that the Yukranian and Italian halfs of me broke away and formed the Republic of "Yukranian Off Topic Island" or YOTI for short and Italian Off Topic Island or IOTI (reference OTI main thread pages 2-5). Eventually other citizens with split heritages formed their own separate nations. Within weeks there was an AOTI and LOTI, a COTI etc etc until we learned our lesson and banned the practice.

There are no Italian-Otians, no Yukranian-Otians, no African-Otians, no Latino-Otians, no Caucasian-Otians, we are all Otians or we are nothing, that is our motto and America should learn from us.
CPcantmeasuresnow
CPcantmeasuresnow
Wx Statistician Guru
Wx Statistician Guru

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Wed Feb 15, 2017 12:17 pm

I think there was a book written about a place similar to this one: Ut"OTI"a.

Back to top Go down

Post by billg315 Wed Feb 15, 2017 8:07 pm

Quietace wrote:
syosnow94 wrote:All of you my weather forum family read this.  Regardless of political affiliation I hope you will agree......

This is exactly what is wrong with our country!    AMERICA FIRST ! ! ! !

One student from  the Dominican Republic told me that she didn't want me to find a job for her after she finished my  program, because she was getting housing from our housing department and she was getting a PELL Grant which paid for her total tuition and books, plus money left over.  

She was looking  into WAIT which gives students a CREDIT CARD for gas to come to school, and  into CARIBE which is a special program (check it out - I did) for immigrants  and it pays for child care and all sorts of needs while they go  to school or training. The one student I just mentioned told me she was not  going to be a U.S. Citizen because she plans to return to  the Dominican Republic someday and that she 'loves HER country.’

I asked her if she felt guilty taking what the U.S. is giving her and then  not even bothering to become a citizen and she told me that it doesn't  bother her, because  that is what the money is there for!

I asked the CARIBE  administration about their program and if you ARE a U.S. citizen, you don't  qualify for their  program.  And all the while, I am  working a full day,  my son-in-law works more than 60 hours a week, and  everyone in my family works and pays for our education.  

Something is wrong  here. I am sorry,  but after hearing that they want to  sing the National  Anthem in Spanish - enough is enough. That's a real slap in the face. It was  written by Francis Scott Key and should be sung word for word the way it was written. The news broadcasts even gave the  translation -- not even close.  

I don't care  whether this offends someone or not but this is MY COUNTRY.   IF IT IS  YOUR COUNTRY SPEAK UP -- please pass this along.  I am not against  immigration -- I just expect immigrants to come through like everyone else. Get a sponsor; have a place to lay your head; have a job; pay your taxes, live by the rules AND LEARN THE LANGUAGE as all other immigrants have in the past  -- and GOD BLESS AMERICA!  

PART OF THE PROBLEM  - Think about this: If you don't want to forward this for fear of offending someone-YOU'RE PART OF THE PROBLEM! It is Time for REAL America   to speak up.   If you agree --  pass this along!

Do not get me started. We had an immigration conversation the other day in the student center. I was the only conservative view point there. I said something that disagreed with everyone's view and they asked me to leave since I "offended" the foreigners who get to go to the University for free. That is how sad this country has become.

And that's almost as big a problem. This country embraces free speech as a marketplace of ideas which makes everyone better informed. But the effort to belittle, label, threaten, and silence differing viewpoints (almost always of late it seems an effort to silence or discredit through personal attacks conservative viewpoints), makes it impossible for that marketplace of ideas to work. If you actually LISTEN to people who disagree with you -- instead of asking them to leave or running off to a "safe space" where you only hear an echo chamber of agreement -- you may learn something you didn't know that could actually alter or better-inform a viewpoint. And at the very least, even if you don't change your view, you will better understand the other person's perspective which is never a bad thing. It's sad that in institutions of "higher" learning, not only are students unable to engage those who disagree with them, but increasingly the staff appears to embrace this unwillingness to consider opposing views. I had a political science professor in college who was diametrically opposed to my political viewpoint. But I loved his class, and he (at least he told me) loved having me in his class because we could have a real intellectual disagreement over issues and actually challenge each other. What happened to that idea? lol
billg315
billg315
Advanced Forecaster - Mod

Back to top Go down

Post by Math23x7 Thu Mar 09, 2017 9:16 pm

Vic Dibitetto (aka The Bread and Milk Guy) just passed 100,000 subscribers on YouTube. Here is his famous video from several years ago:

Math23x7
Wx Statistician Guru
Wx Statistician Guru

Back to top Go down

Post by billg315 Thu Mar 09, 2017 9:25 pm

Always a classic pre-storm video. I for one see no need for bread a milk in these storms. I think snack foods that don't need to be refrigerated or cooked are the best option as well as alcoholic drinks -- just because they're always a good option.
billg315
billg315

Back to top Go down

Post by Dunnzoo Thu Mar 09, 2017 9:54 pm

Just picked up a 6 pack and a bottle of Irish Mist, already had Bailey's in the house, so whatever comes I'm ready!

Dunnzoo
Dunnzoo
Senior Enthusiast - Mod
Senior Enthusiast - Mod

Back to top Go down

Post by billg315 Thu Mar 09, 2017 10:00 pm

Dunnzoo wrote:Just picked up a 6 pack and a bottle of Irish Mist, already had Bailey's in the house, so whatever comes I'm ready!

Well done. I'm going out early Saturday morning to stock up on "supplies." That probably will be early enough to beat the crowds. If the forecast holds into Sunday I think Sunday and Monday will be pure craziness as the stores!
billg315
billg315

Back to top Go down

Post by Math23x7 Sun Mar 12, 2017 9:17 pm

And for the first time ever, the NJ Strong Weather Forum has 500 simultaneous viewers. Here is the moment it happened:

General Banter - Page 26 Njstro10

Math23x7
Wx Statistician Guru
Wx Statistician Guru

Back to top Go down

Post by billg315 Sun Mar 12, 2017 9:22 pm

Great work capturing it Mike. Yep, was watching as it happened. Actually saw it the minute it passed the old record for users online, which it has now smashed by going above 500.
billg315
billg315

Back to top Go down

Post by Math23x7 Sun Mar 19, 2017 12:16 am

R.I.P Chuck Berry.

His hit song "Johnny B Goode" came out when docstox12 was seven years of age:

Math23x7
Wx Statistician Guru
Wx Statistician Guru

Back to top Go down

Post by mikeypizano Mon Mar 20, 2017 9:43 am

Morning!
mikeypizano
mikeypizano
Pro Enthusiast
Pro Enthusiast

Back to top Go down

Post by Snow88 Wed Apr 12, 2017 10:48 pm

I saw A Bronx Tale on broadway earlier this afternoon and then went to Carmine's italian restaurant.

Familly style dishes

DELICIOUS
Snow88
Snow88
Senior Enthusiast
Senior Enthusiast

Back to top Go down

Post by Dunnzoo Wed Apr 12, 2017 11:12 pm

Snow88 wrote:I saw A Bronx Tale on broadway earlier this afternoon and then went to Carmine's italian restaurant.

Familly style dishes

DELICIOUS

Tony's diNapoli is family style too, excellent food! We went there for the first gtg.

Dunnzoo
Dunnzoo
Senior Enthusiast - Mod
Senior Enthusiast - Mod

Back to top Go down

Post by Snow88 Thu Apr 13, 2017 10:10 am

Dunnzoo wrote:
Snow88 wrote:I saw A Bronx Tale on broadway earlier this afternoon and then went to Carmine's italian restaurant.

Familly style dishes

DELICIOUS

Tony's diNapoli is family style too, excellent food! We went there for the first gtg.

Where is that?
Snow88
Snow88
Senior Enthusiast
Senior Enthusiast

Back to top Go down

Post by Math23x7 Thu Apr 13, 2017 1:17 pm

Snow88 wrote:
Dunnzoo wrote:

Familly style dishes

DELICIOUS

Where is that?

Midtown on 43rd between 6th and 7th

Math23x7
Wx Statistician Guru
Wx Statistician Guru

Back to top Go down

Post by Math23x7 Fri Apr 14, 2017 2:54 pm

HAPPY BIRTHDAY RYAN!

party bananadude party bananadude party

Math23x7
Wx Statistician Guru