NJ Strong Weather Forum

Join the forum, it's quick and easy

NJ Strong Weather Forum
NJ Strong Weather Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

2018 Hurricane Season

+26
Vinnydula
Math23x7
bobjohnsonforthehall
larryrock72
oldtimer
Grselig
billg315
Joe Snow
nutleyblizzard
Radz
Frank_Wx
jwalsh
Sanchize06
Dunnzoo
weatherwatchermom
rb924119
algae888
frank 638
skinsfan1177
amugs
GreyBeard
SoulSingMG
Quietace
Snow88
sroc4
jmanley32
30 posters

Page 7 of 18 Previous  1 ... 6, 7, 8 ... 12 ... 18  Next

Go down

2018 Hurricane Season  - Page 7 Empty Re: 2018 Hurricane Season

Post by Joe Snow Wed Sep 05, 2018 10:37 pm

jmanley32 wrote:
amugs wrote:Our own Armando Salvatore posted on another board and if he leaning then we watch 

Just adding my "2cents" to the discussion from observations as of late. Typically, we tend to look upstream for winter in regards to tracking, so why not apply that methodology here.... The 18z GFS pretty much represents the consensus of NWP (have checked CMC, GEFS, EPS). Two main areas I've been watching; 1. British Canada and 2. Midwest (Gorden remnants/ S/W troff). Notice initially right at the beginning of the loop how the trough off BC begins closer to the 150W meridian, and towards the latter end of the loop ends up towards 120W. Also take note of the orientation of the trough axis, and how it goes from a meridional look to one that is more positively tilted yielding a semi-zonal flow . This has a downstream effect because whereas runs dating back to Sept 1st or so, we saw a more retrograded type look of the ridge further back west where you have a weak steering flow, and thanks to the Coriolis effect, Florence can find that weakness pocket. However, because of this noticeable trend (?), we're seeing a "push" of everything eastward, including diabetic processes from the remnants of Gordon embedded within a shortwave trough, that influences that anomalous ridge over the NW Atlantic. In turn, we thus see rather strong ageostrophic confluence (highlighted in yellow) on the backside of the long wave trough and it reflects an impressive ~1030-1034mb surface high that can ultimately traverse quickly enough to mitigate that weakness area and critical inflection point. What I suppose I'm trying to convey is that via synoptic pattern wise, the trends aren't good meaning this threat has "legs
Oh boy, I know you listen to this guy, most of you all so heads up I guess.

J Man Gonna be some long days ahead tracking.....................

Joe Snow
Pro Enthusiast
Pro Enthusiast

Back to top Go down

Post by jmanley32 Wed Sep 05, 2018 10:44 pm

Joe Snow wrote:
jmanley32 wrote:
amugs wrote:Our own Armando Salvatore posted on another board and if he leaning then we watch 

Just adding my "2cents" to the discussion from observations as of late. Typically, we tend to look upstream for winter in regards to tracking, so why not apply that methodology here.... The 18z GFS pretty much represents the consensus of NWP (have checked CMC, GEFS, EPS). Two main areas I've been watching; 1. British Canada and 2. Midwest (Gorden remnants/ S/W troff). Notice initially right at the beginning of the loop how the trough off BC begins closer to the 150W meridian, and towards the latter end of the loop ends up towards 120W. Also take note of the orientation of the trough axis, and how it goes from a meridional look to one that is more positively tilted yielding a semi-zonal flow . This has a downstream effect because whereas runs dating back to Sept 1st or so, we saw a more retrograded type look of the ridge further back west where you have a weak steering flow, and thanks to the Coriolis effect, Florence can find that weakness pocket. However, because of this noticeable trend (?), we're seeing a "push" of everything eastward, including diabetic processes from the remnants of Gordon embedded within a shortwave trough, that influences that anomalous ridge over the NW Atlantic. In turn, we thus see rather strong ageostrophic confluence (highlighted in yellow) on the backside of the long wave trough and it reflects an impressive ~1030-1034mb surface high that can ultimately traverse quickly enough to mitigate that weakness area and critical inflection point. What I suppose I'm trying to convey is that via synoptic pattern wise, the trends aren't good meaning this threat has "legs

for sure getting my rest now show starts or ends Sunday Monday I think. What have people been say on storm2k?

jmanley32
Senior Enthusiast
Senior Enthusiast

Back to top Go down

Post by Joe Snow Wed Sep 05, 2018 10:55 pm

jmanley32 wrote:
Joe Snow wrote:
jmanley32 wrote:

for sure getting my rest now show starts or ends Sunday Monday I think. What have people been say on storm2k?

They are tracking like everyone else with every theory as why it will miss and why it will hit.

I watched Bernie's Video, it makes sense what he said it will miss the connection to the trough that would have taken it OTS, then the next thing to watch is the position of the Ridge. Going to be interesting to say the least Monday will be the pregame for sure, Ill stock up on some cold ones and get ready for some sleepless nights.
On another note while it's fun to track we have to keep an eye on it as it approaches our back door.
Joe Snow
Joe Snow
Pro Enthusiast
Pro Enthusiast

Back to top Go down

Post by jmanley32 Wed Sep 05, 2018 11:09 pm

Wow, cone shifted even further south, I dont think this is going OTS boys and girls

a little weaker but thats prolly only temporary.

2018 Hurricane Season  - Page 7 Nhc_co11
jmanley32
jmanley32
Senior Enthusiast
Senior Enthusiast

Back to top Go down

Post by jmanley32 Wed Sep 05, 2018 11:11 pm

Joe Snow wrote:
jmanley32 wrote:
Joe Snow wrote:
jmanley32 wrote:

They are tracking like everyone else with every theory as why it will miss and why it will hit.

I watched Bernie's Video, it makes sense what he said it will miss the connection to the trough that would have taken it OTS, then the next thing to watch is the position of the Ridge. Going to be interesting to say the least Monday will be the pregame for sure, Ill stock up on some cold ones and get ready for some sleepless nights.
On another note while it's fun to track we have to keep an eye on it as it approaches our back door.  
Oh for sure, if this thing is a tanking cat 4/5 and nearing the east coast or even near the area, it will be a WCS, far worse than Sandy. Which is just unimaginable.
jmanley32
jmanley32
Senior Enthusiast
Senior Enthusiast

Back to top Go down

Post by SoulSingMG Wed Sep 05, 2018 11:15 pm

Umm, yikes. (Per latest NHC discussion)

It appears that a mid-latitude trough over the
northwestern Atlantic in a few days will likely miss Florence, with
the only perceivable effects on the hurricane being a decrease in
forward speed. The net result is that the model guidance continues
to trend westward at long range, and the official forecast follows
suit, lying just north of the model consensus in deference to the
ECMWF deterministic model and ensemble mean.
SoulSingMG
SoulSingMG
Senior Enthusiast
Senior Enthusiast

Back to top Go down

Post by jmanley32 Wed Sep 05, 2018 11:21 pm

Bermuda needs to start watching this they are in the cone and into the wind percentile of 30% already!

2018 Hurricane Season  - Page 7 Floren10
jmanley32
jmanley32
Senior Enthusiast
Senior Enthusiast

Back to top Go down

Post by jmanley32 Wed Sep 05, 2018 11:27 pm

SoulSingMG wrote:Umm, yikes. (Per latest NHC discussion)

It appears that a mid-latitude trough over the
northwestern Atlantic in a few days will likely miss Florence, with
the only perceivable effects on the hurricane being a decrease in
forward speed.  The net result is that the model guidance continues
to trend westward at long range, and the official forecast follows
suit, lying just north of the model consensus in deference to the
ECMWF deterministic model and ensemble mean.

Holy crap! For them to say that NOW is BIG, so are they saying the Euro track may be right?

If the media gets ahold of that the hype will go into super hype mode.
jmanley32
jmanley32
Senior Enthusiast
Senior Enthusiast

Back to top Go down

Post by jmanley32 Wed Sep 05, 2018 11:46 pm

soul i do not see that in the discussion do you have the link?
jmanley32
jmanley32
Senior Enthusiast
Senior Enthusiast

Back to top Go down

Post by Sanchize06 Thu Sep 06, 2018 12:04 am

0z GFS a bit further north at hr 102, but the ridge is building in, so should start to move quicker off to the WNW

Sanchize06
Senior Enthusiast
Senior Enthusiast

Back to top Go down

Post by Sanchize06 Thu Sep 06, 2018 12:08 am

Further north and stronger at hr 126, definitely not a good run for Bermuda

Sanchize06
Senior Enthusiast
Senior Enthusiast

Back to top Go down

Post by Sanchize06 Thu Sep 06, 2018 12:17 am

Hr 150, not a good look with that blocking

2018 Hurricane Season  - Page 7 Gfs_z500aNorm_atl_26

Sanchize06
Senior Enthusiast
Senior Enthusiast

Back to top Go down

Post by jmanley32 Thu Sep 06, 2018 12:24 am

Yo this is go make a direct hit on the area as a cat 5! That's doomsday not wcs.
jmanley32
jmanley32
Senior Enthusiast
Senior Enthusiast

Back to top Go down

Post by SoulSingMG Thu Sep 06, 2018 12:24 am

jmanley32 wrote:soul i do not see that in the discussion do you have the link?
https://www.nhc.noaa.gov/text/refresh/MIATCDAT1+shtml/060250.shtml
SoulSingMG
SoulSingMG
Senior Enthusiast
Senior Enthusiast

Back to top Go down

Post by weatherwatchermom Thu Sep 06, 2018 12:25 am

Sanchize06 wrote:Hr 150, not a good look with that blocking

Does that mean it would push that storm closer to coast
weatherwatchermom
weatherwatchermom
Senior Enthusiast
Senior Enthusiast

Back to top Go down

Post by jmanley32 Thu Sep 06, 2018 12:27 am

weatherwatchermom wrote:
Sanchize06 wrote:Hr 150, not a good look with that blocking

Does that mean it would push that storm closer to coast
yes and its closing in but looks like it may stay just east. But we had va now new England so anywhere in there if she does it. That a historic block there.
jmanley32
jmanley32
Senior Enthusiast
Senior Enthusiast

Back to top Go down

Post by weatherwatchermom Thu Sep 06, 2018 12:29 am

Tx jman
weatherwatchermom
weatherwatchermom
Senior Enthusiast
Senior Enthusiast

Back to top Go down

Post by Sanchize06 Thu Sep 06, 2018 12:29 am

Turns NE just in time, but wow. Shows what a long week it's going to be and how a few miles north or south it gets and what a slightly stronger or weaker ridge can do

Sanchize06
Senior Enthusiast
Senior Enthusiast

Back to top Go down

Post by jmanley32 Thu Sep 06, 2018 12:32 am

Sanchize06 wrote:Turns NE just in time, but wow. Shows what a long week it's going to be and how a few miles north or south it gets and what a slightly stronger or weaker ridge can do
the fact that a sub 930mb storm gets that close that we even get the outer bands which are ts force has me on my toes almost. Need few more days.
jmanley32
jmanley32
Senior Enthusiast
Senior Enthusiast

Back to top Go down

Post by jmanley32 Thu Sep 06, 2018 12:35 am

Annd she stalls. This still would be awful for the coast
The ocean would be insane.
jmanley32
jmanley32
Senior Enthusiast
Senior Enthusiast

Back to top Go down

Post by Sanchize06 Thu Sep 06, 2018 12:40 am

CMC goes into NC and ICON is somewhat similar to the GFS, but comes closer to the coast.

2018 Hurricane Season  - Page 7 Gem_mslp_pcpn_frzn_us_31

2018 Hurricane Season  - Page 7 Icon_mslp_wind_us_61

Sanchize06
Senior Enthusiast
Senior Enthusiast

Back to top Go down

Post by Sanchize06 Thu Sep 06, 2018 12:53 am

Another thing that is interesting with these runs is how the strength of Florence affects the track. When you look at the CMC, you can see it's very weak, 984mb, as a result the strong ridge just forces it west into NC, doesn't get very far north. The GFS is the other extreme, it's in the 920-930mb range and as a result, it gets further north, but breaks down the ridge in time to turn east. The middle models in strength like the 12z EURO and 0z ICON with 950-960mb are the ones that come NW and make very close passes at our coast.

Sanchize06
Senior Enthusiast
Senior Enthusiast

Back to top Go down

Post by sroc4 Thu Sep 06, 2018 7:21 am

Unexpected was the intensification to major hurricane status, however, as expected Florence is now being affected by the mod-strong wind shear to her north, and the somewhat divergent air aloft on the southern half of the system.  The result is seen by all of the convection located in the north and NE quadrants.  This has caused some weakening overnight.  Current estimated max sustained winds are at 100kts(115mph) with additional weakening expected.    

2018 Hurricane Season  - Page 7 GOES16-TAW-08-900x540
2018 Hurricane Season  - Page 7 Wg8shrZ
2018 Hurricane Season  - Page 7 Gfs_shear_eatl_2

In the modeling at least it is beginning to appear more and more likely that the system will miss the first connection OTS.  You can see in the image below in the upper left corner Gordons remnants aid in pumping the ridging out ahead of it through diabetic processes as mentioned by Armando's write up Mugsy posted above.  The SSTA support such a process basically reconnecting the ridging in the NE Atlantic with the NW Atlantic effectively trapping Florence beneath it steering it westward.  

2018 Hurricane Season  - Page 7 Missed11
2018 Hurricane Season  - Page 7 Ecmwf_14
2018 Hurricane Season  - Page 7 Ecmwf_15
2018 Hurricane Season  - Page 7 Ecmwf_16
2018 Hurricane Season  - Page 7 Ssta11

Now be careful.  First:  A missed connection is still not a foregone conclusion although becoming less likely.  
Second: If Florence misses the first bus an EC landfall is still not guaranteed. It is still possible that the strength of the system combined with other factors I don't have time to get into may cause an eroding of the western flank of the ridge such that she stalls and or turns north before making landfall and gets lifted out with the next passing trough.  That said this scenario would still end up too close for comfort.  And of course a direct EC landfall is also entirely plausible.  

We will know if the first bus is going to pick up Flornece pretty darn soon...by Sunday or so +/- 12-24hrs with definitive confidence.  soooooooo

WE TRACK!!!!! What a Face

WINTER 2014/2015 TOTALS 71.20"WINTER 2019/2020 TOTALS 6.35"
WINTER 2015/2016 TOTALS 35.00"WINTER 2020/2021 TOTALS 37.75"
WINTER 2016/2017 TOTALS 42.25"WINTER 2021/2022 TOTALS 31.65" 
sroc4
sroc4
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by jmanley32 Thu Sep 06, 2018 7:48 am

This is annoying lol I wanna know what's gonna happen lol. I see nhc now has her below cat 3 till Sunday that's a bit longer than thought. What are thoughts on the last second turn away from ec that the models seem to depict? Oh 384 hrs gfs Helene hits us lol
jmanley32
jmanley32
Senior Enthusiast
Senior Enthusiast

Back to top Go down

Post by rb924119 Thu Sep 06, 2018 7:55 am

Based on some quick and dirty analysis this morning, I actually really like the way the EURO Op looks with regard to its track of Florence - a North Carolina landfall (or very nearly), likely along the Outer Banks, with a run up the coast (or very nearly offshore) before curving back out to sea near our latitude. I think a more southerly track, similar, although slightly further north than the UKMET, looks good to start based on the combination of SST anomalies and their orientation/interplay with the North Atlantic ridge simultaneously with additional diabatic heat release feeding into the ridge from the restrengthening storm itself. However, I like the prognostication of the GEFS with regard to the trough cutting beneath blocking over central/eastern North America. I think that will be able to maintain a bit more intensity and get further east than what the GEM/EURO Ensembles currently show based on how the global setup currently looks, which would allow for a last-minute attempt at a full recurve, as climatology would suggest. Remember, these storms like to head where the trough is going, NOT where it "is". That's my preliminary thinking, reasoning, and track outlook, at least at this juncture.

rb924119
Meteorologist
Meteorologist

Back to top Go down

Post by skinsfan1177 Thu Sep 06, 2018 8:14 am

Imo if she becomes a cat 5 I think it's ots weaker storm better shot at east coast
skinsfan1177
skinsfan1177
Senior Enthusiast
Senior Enthusiast

Back to top Go down

Post by Sanchize06 Thu Sep 06, 2018 8:22 am

skinsfan1177 wrote:Imo if she becomes a cat 5 I think it's ots weaker storm better shot at east coast

I agree. I think if it's as strong as the GFS suggests in the 920mb range, it's more north and breaks down the ridge and turns OTS before reaching the coast. CMC and EURO showing landfall makes sense because a weaker system should be forced more west by the ridge

Sanchize06
Senior Enthusiast
Senior Enthusiast

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 7 of 18 Previous  1 ... 6, 7, 8 ... 12 ... 18  Next

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum