NJ Strong Weather Forum

Join the forum, it's quick and easy

NJ Strong Weather Forum
NJ Strong Weather Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Banter Thread 5.0

+46
Elmer J Fudd, Billionaire
Bkdude
algae888
Irish
toople
jaydoy
richb521
crippo84
phil155
Judy Margolis
bloc1357
oldtimer
jimv45
Artechmetals
Scullybutcher
bobjohnsonforthehall
Taffy
SENJsnowman
CPcantmeasuresnow
Vinnydula
skinsfan1177
aiannone
weatherwatchermom
SoulSingMG
sroc4
sabamfa
Math23x7
frank 638
Radz
essexcountypete
Dunnzoo
GreyBeard
heehaw453
Quietace
jmanley32
nutleyblizzard
dkodgis
docstox12
billg315
HectorO
Grselig
amugs
mwilli
mikeypizano
brownie
Frank_Wx
50 posters

Page 40 of 40 Previous  1 ... 21 ... 38, 39, 40

Go down

Banter Thread 5.0 - Page 40 Empty Re: Banter Thread 5.0

Post by jmanley32 Fri May 08, 2020 9:46 am

billg315 wrote:JMan you are certainly entitled to your opinion and nobody should attack or get mad at anyone for their opinion on here. I respect your point of view, even if I don’t entirely agree with it.

The only thing I did want to (respectfully) respond to because I think it is the type of misinformation driving this panic (and I’m not blaming you - I’m sure you’re basing it off what you heard in the media): The idea that “tens of thousands of kids” either have or will start dying from this is 100% false. It is scientifically demonstrated at this point that there is virtually no mortality risk for children under 18 from this (any moreso than the same complications they could get from contracting any other illness with underlying conditions). As of last weekend not a single child under 18 in NJ had died from this. Not one. And that is in the second worst hit state in the nation. As of mid-April the CDC was reporting only 3 children had died of covid in the nation and even in those cases the CDC reports “but the contribution of SARS-CoV-2 infection to the cause of death in these cases is unclear.” In other words, in the only three cases of pediatric death from covid - it’s not even clear covid was the cause of death, just that they were positive for it when they died. Other countries have also experienced virtually no pediatric deaths from covid (zero in Italy at least through mid-March when that country was hardest hit).
The story the other day pushed by CBS about an offshoot “possibly” related to covid, was about Kawasaki disease (or a very similar inflammatory reaction) which is rare but typically affects children after they catch any virus - not just covid. Of 15 kids showing the symptoms in one location not all even had covid. Of the 85 such cases nationwide: ZERO had died (source NBC news).
So while there may be legitimate arguments for NOT reopening yet (which I disagree with), the possibility of tens of thousands of children dying is not one of them.
I hope this didn’t come off as too belligerent it wasn’t intended that way. I’m just very passionate about the need not to spread hysteria about this - it is serious enough without that. Or as Bill Maher said, no need to put hot sauce on a jalapeño.
No thats fine, you were informative and not bashing me. I was speaking of the kawasaki type disease, and I did not think kids would start dying I was just saying what if, and that would be devasatating. Theres something about kids that just hits me harder than adults. Not that losing someone like my parents wouldn't kill my hear the same but kids, they didn't even get a chance. Glad to know they have all recovered I missed that part on news (which I hate to watch because yes it is a lot of misinformation or mistaken information). For a example years ago I was a witness to a police car making a u-turn in the middle of a busy street after some kind of big bust and speeding off without his lights, throuhg a red light and he got plowed into by a car. The officer was injured (not good for the guy driving, he is screwed) however the officer was at fault not using lights or siren. When I was interviewed by Verizon Fios I later saw the story and they completely screwed up what I told them happened even after they played the clip of me. I was so angry. Another time News 12 reported that shots were fired at a carnival when in fact it was 3 girls that got hit by a car a woman who had a diabetic shock and floored the gas killing a 13 year old and putting her sister into temporary coma. Can you imagine waking up to be told your sister is gone. So sad. She now has a memorial at the park the accident happened in. But the point is the news isn't fake but it can be greatly flawed.

jmanley32
Senior Enthusiast
Senior Enthusiast

Back to top Go down

Post by jmanley32 Fri May 08, 2020 9:48 am

dkodgis wrote:Here is hoping the economy gets back in gear and things open. For the near future, I cannot see realistically how schools or camps can reopen until ... whenever but not this summer and at least a delay in the fall or maybe into Jan. I always held the position that Jan/Feb/March 2021 schools up here will reopen. I hope I am wrong. My kids are going batty, and they miss school and sports.

There are an awful lot of 900 lb gorillas sitting in the room:  funding cuts, new and maybe de facto online classes, eventual contractual issues with delivery mode,   and so on.  Gaping holes in sales tax collection, and in other revenue streams = chaos. Cuts will occur and they will not be pretty.  Consensus? Not there.  Skilled leadership? We'll see. Pain? Most certainly. Contingencies? Probably none. There have been 9,328 cases in Orange county (where I live), and 1,039 in the next county (Sullivan), and 12, 280 cases in Rockland county below me.   In NJ as in Bergen, Huddon, Passaic, Union, etc. anywhere from 14,000-16,000 cases. Curves are being flattened, the healthcare system was stretched and not broken, and does anyone know if lifting the stay at home orders will cause cases to go up or not? As states go vs. regions, I can't see an action or date where one action or one date fits all.  It is just going to be a real mess. Meanwhile I feel so bad for families who don't have money in and can't eat. I pray this all gets going in the right direction. I for one don't have a clue how and when and in what direction.  Unsettling. I think this is what works on my family:  uncertainty and worry for loved ones and the future.
This is all true too as far as I know, I cannot deny either point to reopen or to stay home, I honestly do not know, I do not think anyone fully knows. And excuse me I have only gained 5 lbs, ha frank beat you, though you have about 100 below me anyways to start. No 900 lbs here though ( I know it wasn't serious im jk too).

jmanley32
Senior Enthusiast
Senior Enthusiast

Back to top Go down

Post by jmanley32 Fri May 08, 2020 9:50 am

billg315 wrote:And not everyone loves Cuomo. Sorry, thought I was done but just had to say it. He and other governors will have to answer at some point how they dropped the ball on nursing homes where about a third of deaths occurred while focused on shutting down restaurants and department stores.
Again this is a valid point, I did say MOST, and thats i guess a survey of the people I know, which isn't a very big sample. I do however think his daily 2 hour briefings are great and he is very calm and level headed if you ask me. Again just my opinion. Sometimes I do question some of his logic but for the most part he is showing graphs and facts and thats what I want to see.
jmanley32
jmanley32
Senior Enthusiast
Senior Enthusiast

Back to top Go down

Post by jmanley32 Fri May 08, 2020 9:55 am

I read a scary story that I hope is just media hype and fear that they may create a app that will track our infection potential level and as you pass others they will get a alert of who you are and your infection potential. This is a huge no no to our civil liberties and privacy. We might as well become a communist country because that is what China is doing right now. This I would not tolerate and I would shut cell service if that were ever true. What I do think is true there will be some type of what they are calling NEW normal, I do not think we will ever be the same as in February. Which is sad, to think we wont be able to do the things we enjoy anymore or be restricted in them just makes me want to jump thinking about it. NO dont worry I am not going to do that but its sad times for sure.
jmanley32
jmanley32
Senior Enthusiast
Senior Enthusiast

Back to top Go down

Post by amugs Fri May 08, 2020 3:23 pm

@ Doc adn Brownie - Nail Saloon - a free shot with a mani pedi!! The one here in town allows wine and beer - crazy!! My wife loves the place.

Doc, my father talked about the Polio and Asian Flu in teh 50's growing up. People took precautions and tens of thousands died. Sad for sure but not hysteria or this overlying paralyzing fear. heck go to teh CDC sight and see how many cases are ACTUALLY COVID deaths. Less than what is being reported. If you test positive its like you have leprosy or the plague. Stay home as you would the flu or an Upper respiratory Infection.
Has anyone seen teh article of the Dr. Liu from Univ of Pitt who was on teh verge of major break through for this?? He shot and killed in his apt over teh weekend - hush hush on that? You can summize what you want but I smell a fish having a good friend who was a major PI and was in teh depths of such gov't happenings. I told her she needs to write a book about her underworld experiences, she said they threatened my life and my family if this were to happen - Legal Mafia much?
Anyway, Vitamin D, A, C and Zinc along with Shitake mushrooms as Doc said are immuno builders. (2% plus of teh patients who have died from COVID are Vit D deficient. You all need to get out in teh sun when its out and take in 15-20 minutes of UNFILTERED sunlight - Vitamin D is the essential building block for our bodies and our immune system. East green leafy veggies to help get this in you.
Mr Sun https://www.iceagenow.info/sunshine-is-the-best-disinfectant/
Vitamin D
Dr. Shiva

11 years ago this was stated!!

https://www.foxnews.com/science/vitamin-d-levels-covid-19-mortality-rates

Food crises is not solved by any means upon further investigation - we are in a for a long haul of one to maybe two years and why?? We culled 30 million chickens and hens, over 3 million hogs and cattle.
Ag Insider wrote:
Meat production has dropped considerably alongside plant closures and reduced capacity. As plants reopen, and modify operations, it will be important to track actual production together with pre-pandemic capacity as the revised processes could affect plant productivity.
Banter Thread 5.0 - Page 40 Cattle10

It will take years for some of these meat products (looking at you mr. cow) to come back to respectable levels. This is a travesty.

@Phil - I agree with your post above that we should start to open things with precautions but get this rolling. The reinfection once you have it (meaning getting it a second time) has been proven false in Germany, Sweden, and South Korea.

@billg - so true why they are holding kids at bay is just ludicrous in my mind at this stage - they are the healthiest group overall up to age 35. CBS is shameful and have totally misreported our local hospitals by showing Italian Hospitals and also other news causing mass fear at times.

ALL HOSPITALS are back to normal operations but yet I can't get my one year procedure for colon cancer because they we are still in a Health Emergency - do you like how they changed the name of it to Health Emergency - not its a friging lockdown!!!!

There is no reason why schools do not open come September and I mean all schools on a regular basis. When the flu hit m school the past two years and we had over 200 students out of 1400 population sick with it we did not close - hmmm a 15% sick rate and the healthiest group got sick but we stayed open. Can't stop living peeps adn lock down (aka Health Emergency) is actually lowering our immune system.

I hope yuo all stay up to enjoy the snow flakes tonight and streamers tomorrow. Be safe, and stay healthy.

WINTER 2014-15 : 55.12" +.02 for 6 coatings (avg. 35")
WINTER 2015-16 Total - 29.8" (Avg 35")
WINTER 2016-17 : 39.5" so far
amugs
amugs
Advanced Forecaster - Mod

Back to top Go down

Post by billg315 Fri May 08, 2020 3:40 pm

JMan I saw the stories about that tracking app on phones. Count me in your corner on that one. I am not a fan of ANYONE, state or corporate, tracking my movements without a warrant issued by a judge, supported by probable cause. It’s bad enough companies like Google and Apple have this capability to a degree already. I do not want it being converted from a capability to an actively monitored intrusion.
billg315
billg315

Back to top Go down

Post by amugs Fri May 08, 2020 5:27 pm

How about Chipping everyone?
Vaccinations cards to travel?
Gates behind this and so much more.

Here is the article on the Dr. Lui who was killed over the weekend.
https://www.yahoo.com/huffpost/pittsburgh-coronavirus-research-professor-killed-163347098.html

WINTER 2014-15 : 55.12" +.02 for 6 coatings (avg. 35")
WINTER 2015-16 Total - 29.8" (Avg 35")
WINTER 2016-17 : 39.5" so far
amugs
amugs

Back to top Go down

Post by jmanley32 Fri May 08, 2020 5:50 pm

Okay now we have lost a child in westchester to the disease thats caused by covid, now we are going to see things get worse. we can't have children dying now sorry guys. I will not tolerate people saying well kids are gonna die. There are 73 cases now and thats from 14 to 73 in 2 days, not good. I am very concerned.
jmanley32
jmanley32
Senior Enthusiast
Senior Enthusiast

Back to top Go down

Post by jmanley32 Fri May 08, 2020 5:55 pm

Is there anyone that can help me find something. My job is claiming the governor of NY has extended distance learning to June 30th. Can anyone help me find this order because I call bullshit (we have always been told we are funded by the department of health, does anyone know if this is a order by the department of health)? They are screwing us out of out summmer break with is only 2 weeks versus regular schools. Every school I know in the area ends June 22nd and no others do i know close any later.
jmanley32
jmanley32
Senior Enthusiast
Senior Enthusiast

Back to top Go down

Post by jimv45 Fri May 08, 2020 6:04 pm

Jman I couldn't agree with you more! For people that say we need to open up and people are going to die is flat out BS and pissed me off, There is a killer lose still and I still think that we don't have a full understanding on what this killer can do! A good friend of mine who works a local Hospital god bless her says this thing has to many mysteries to feel safe with with kids now starting to die. I Am A type one diabetic who is under the high risk and has been sick since March but nobody can find out what's wrong I been tested 3 time with negative results and lost 20 pounds! There will be a time I hope soon to reopen this slowly but to me its to soon now with the kids getting sick. I don't want to start a problem on here but just my two cents on this!!!

jimv45
Senior Enthusiast
Senior Enthusiast

Back to top Go down

Post by jmanley32 Fri May 08, 2020 6:07 pm

billg315 wrote:JMan I saw the stories about that tracking app on phones. Count me in your corner on that one. I am not a fan of ANYONE, state or corporate, tracking my movements without a warrant issued by a judge, supported by probable cause. It’s bad enough companies like Google and Apple have this capability to a degree already. I do not want it being converted from a capability to an actively monitored intrusion.
I will seriously move to canada where people have much more freedom, amazing america is becoming the land of the NOT FREE.
jmanley32
jmanley32
Senior Enthusiast
Senior Enthusiast

Back to top Go down

Post by jmanley32 Fri May 08, 2020 6:09 pm

jimv45 wrote:Jman I couldn't agree with you more!  For people that say we need to open up and people are going to die is flat out BS and pissed me off,  There is a killer lose still and I still think that we don't have a full understanding on what this killer can do! A good friend of mine who works a local Hospital god bless her says this thing has to many mysteries to feel safe with with kids now starting to die.  I Am A type one diabetic who is under the high risk and has been sick since March but nobody can find out what's wrong I been tested 3 time with negative  results and lost 20 pounds!  There will be a time I hope soon to reopen this slowly but to me its to soon now with the kids getting sick. I don't want to start a problem on here but just my two cents on this!!!

I think we all need to respect opinions and not respond to ones we dont agree with or this will become a major fight. Just want to keep the peace. I see scott is staying out of it, or I hope he is okay.
jmanley32
jmanley32
Senior Enthusiast
Senior Enthusiast

Back to top Go down

Post by jimv45 Fri May 08, 2020 6:43 pm

YEP Jman i respect everyone's comment on here!! but like you I think is still to early to reopen when we got something that is not even clear what we are dealing with, like you said now kids are getting sick and dying, just wish people would think about this horror we are dealing with before they write something, my point that people are going to die yes people die everyday but every life matters and we still don't know what were dealing with this monster, we must do everything we can to find out what is safe and what is not and now kids are getting sick not there yet.

jimv45
Senior Enthusiast
Senior Enthusiast

Back to top Go down

Post by billg315 Fri May 08, 2020 7:01 pm

jimv45 wrote:YEP Jman i respect everyone's comment on here!! but like you I think is still to early to reopen when we got something that is not even clear what we are dealing with, like you said now kids are getting sick and dying, just wish people would think about this horror we are dealing with before they write something, my point that people are going to die yes  people die everyday but every life matters and we still don't know what were dealing with this monster,  we must do everything we can to find out what is safe and what is not and now kids are getting sick not there yet.

“just wish people would think about this horror we are dealing with before they write something”

I can assure you I have done very little other than think about this horror for two months, so, no I don’t write things without thinking. I have an 82 year old mother with diabetes and a brother-in-law in an essential job who has contact everyday with lots of possibly infected people. Everyone on this board either has risk factors or has family members with risk factors. So don’t assume we haven’t thought about it before we write. I am willing to consider opposing viewpoints, so I would refer back to my post yesterday: When exactly is it that we reopen WITHOUT people dying? July? August? December? 2021? 2022? That is an actual question, because there is not an unlimited timeframe on how long we can wait to reopen.
billg315
billg315

Back to top Go down

Post by jimv45 Fri May 08, 2020 7:22 pm

Bill again think when can we reopen? Nobody knows is behind door number 2 if you chose 2 you win, A little humor can't hurt! Now without the humor in this time where its tough to laugh no one can say when we should open because nobody really knows but the smart people if they are will look at data and see where we are and where we were and look at now how this virus is acting now with children getting sick and dying now is not the time is what i am saying!!

jimv45
Senior Enthusiast
Senior Enthusiast

Back to top Go down

Post by billg315 Fri May 08, 2020 7:30 pm

Well I’ve said my piece on this issue. I don’t really think I can say anything more to add to it at this point so I think I’m moving on from this topic. I respect everyone’s opinions on this from mugs and Frank and Phil to Jman and Jimv45 whether I agree or disagree with you. I’m shifting back over to the weather threads.
billg315
billg315

Back to top Go down

Post by jimv45 Fri May 08, 2020 7:44 pm

Yes bill lets talk weather with some snow for some!! And what we all can agree on lets get by this virus and hope we will never see this again!

jimv45
Senior Enthusiast
Senior Enthusiast

Back to top Go down

Post by billg315 Fri May 08, 2020 7:47 pm

Snow on the radar in May even as we speak! Just posted the latest radar showing the rain/snow line amazingly close for almost mid-May.

-------

https://www.njstrongweatherforum.com/viewtopic.php?t=1019
billg315
billg315

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 40 of 40 Previous  1 ... 21 ... 38, 39, 40