NJ Strong Weather Forum

Join the forum, it's quick and easy

NJ Strong Weather Forum
NJ Strong Weather Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

BLOG: Next 2-3 Weeks Will Determine Fate Of Winter

+15
sroc4
CPcantmeasuresnow
carvin1079
skinsfan1177
Quietace
sabamfa
nutleyblizzard
algae888
Dunnzoo
SoulSingMG
jmanley32
amugs
toople
Math23x7
Frank_Wx
19 posters

Page 1 of 6 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next

Go down

BLOG: Next 2-3 Weeks Will Determine Fate Of Winter Empty BLOG: Next 2-3 Weeks Will Determine Fate Of Winter

Post by Frank_Wx Sun Jan 18, 2015 12:47 pm

Please follow the link to my latest blog which looks at the overall pattern in the medium to long range, as well as, touch on the possible storm systems over the next 10 days.

http://njstrongweather.blogspot.com/2015/01/next-3-weeks-critical-to-salvaging.html

If by the end of these 3 weeks, which will feature below normal temperatures, does not produce at least a moderate snowfall, that will likely be the last nail to the coffin in trying to reach average snowfall for CPK this season. Hopefully something delivers.

CLICK HERE to view NJ Strong Snowstorm Classifications
Frank_Wx
Frank_Wx
Godzilla Seeker
Godzilla Seeker

http://njstrongweather.blogspot.com/

Back to top Go down

BLOG: Next 2-3 Weeks Will Determine Fate Of Winter Empty Re: BLOG: Next 2-3 Weeks Will Determine Fate Of Winter

Post by Math23x7 Sun Jan 18, 2015 1:16 pm

I mentioned this on this forum before but February 11th, 2012 was a double punch in the stomach for snow lovers. In the days leading up to it, there was a forecast for several inches of snow throughout the NYC region. but it never got it's act together and I doubt anyone got more than an inch from this. In fact, Central Park got only a trace of snow from it.

This is not my video, but a TWC "Local on the 8s" for Long Island (starts at 0:16 in the video) shows the radar and the 7-day forecast. Not pretty.

If that wasn't bad enough, later that afternoon, I got home from work and went onto the 7-online chat board. And there was Frank's thread stating that he officially threw in the towel on the winter of 2011-12. As depressing as that thread was, it was reality.

Math23x7
Wx Statistician Guru
Wx Statistician Guru

Back to top Go down

BLOG: Next 2-3 Weeks Will Determine Fate Of Winter Empty Re: BLOG: Next 2-3 Weeks Will Determine Fate Of Winter

Post by toople Sun Jan 18, 2015 1:22 pm

lol! The music scared me as soon I opened the website. Laughing

toople

Back to top Go down

Post by Frank_Wx Sun Jan 18, 2015 1:26 pm

toople wrote:lol! The music scared me as soon I opened the website. Laughing

Ha, sorry! Now you're really awake.

Frank_Wx
Frank_Wx
Godzilla Seeker
Godzilla Seeker

Back to top Go down

Post by Frank_Wx Sun Jan 18, 2015 1:27 pm

Math23x7 wrote:I mentioned this on this forum before but February 11th, 2012 was a double punch in the stomach for snow lovers.  In the days leading up to it, there was a forecast for several inches of snow throughout the NYC region.  but it never got it's act together and I doubt anyone got more than an inch from this.  In fact, Central Park got only a trace of snow from it.

This is not my video, but a TWC "Local on the 8s" for Long Island (starts at 0:16 in the video) shows the radar and the 7-day forecast.  Not pretty.  

If that wasn't bad enough, later that afternoon, I got home from work and went onto the 7-online chat board.  And there was Frank's thread stating that he officially threw in the towel on the winter of 2011-12.  As depressing as that thread was, it was reality.

If after these next 2 weeks things don't go our way, you will see a similar thread.

Frank_Wx
Frank_Wx
Godzilla Seeker
Godzilla Seeker

Back to top Go down

Post by Math23x7 Sun Jan 18, 2015 1:30 pm

Frank_Wx wrote:
Math23x7 wrote:I mentioned this on this forum before but February 11th, 2012 was a double punch in the stomach for snow lovers.  In the days leading up to it, there was a forecast for several inches of snow throughout the NYC region.  but it never got it's act together and I doubt anyone got more than an inch from this.  In fact, Central Park got only a trace of snow from it.

This is not my video, but a TWC "Local on the 8s" for Long Island (starts at 0:16 in the video) shows the radar and the 7-day forecast.  Not pretty.  

If that wasn't bad enough, later that afternoon, I got home from work and went onto the 7-online chat board.  And there was Frank's thread stating that he officially threw in the towel on the winter of 2011-12.  As depressing as that thread was, it was reality.

If after these next 2 weeks things don't go our way, you will see a similar thread.

I guess I didnt post the video:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bbU9gQdnYXM

Math23x7
Wx Statistician Guru
Wx Statistician Guru

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Sun Jan 18, 2015 1:39 pm

Hey Frank great write up. I have a bone to pick with you though. Yesterday you said you haven't been this excited in a long time for our snowstorm chances and then posted again that we should be pumped up for the blog. I was. And now that I've read it I am bummed. NOT YOUR FAULT!! IT WAS A DETAILED ACCURATE BLOG. You only report on the weather not control it. But you came across pessimistic after several days of build up and excitement.

Back to top Go down

Post by Frank_Wx Sun Jan 18, 2015 1:45 pm

syosnow94 wrote:Hey Frank great write up.  I have a bone to pick with you though.  Yesterday you said you haven't been this excited in a long time for our snowstorm chances and then posted again that we should be pumped up for the blog.  I was.  And now that I've read it I am bummed.  NOT YOUR FAULT!!  IT WAS A DETAILED ACCURATE BLOG.  You only report on the weather not control it.  But you came across pessimistic after several days of build up and excitement.

Im still pumped. Truly feel the 23rd-5th time frame will deliver 2-3 snow events still. The blog just looks at the pattern and what can go wrong. I do express some doubt because of how this winter has gone so far, but the upcoming period is the best we've seen all year.

Frank_Wx
Frank_Wx
Godzilla Seeker
Godzilla Seeker

Back to top Go down

Post by Frank_Wx Sun Jan 18, 2015 1:46 pm

Euro seeing something around the 25th.

Frank_Wx
Frank_Wx
Godzilla Seeker
Godzilla Seeker

Back to top Go down

Post by amugs Sun Jan 18, 2015 1:51 pm

Frank_Wx wrote:
syosnow94 wrote:Hey Frank great write up.  I have a bone to pick with you though.  Yesterday you said you haven't been this excited in a long time for our snowstorm chances and then posted again that we should be pumped up for the blog.  I was.  And now that I've read it I am bummed.  NOT YOUR FAULT!!  IT WAS A DETAILED ACCURATE BLOG.  You only report on the weather not control it.  But you came across pessimistic after several days of build up and excitement.

Im still pumped. Truly feel the 23rd-5th time frame will deliver 2-3 snow events still. The blog just looks at the pattern and what can go wrong. I do express some doubt because of how this winter has gone so far, but the upcoming period is the best we've seen all year.

Frank I do concur and thank you for taking your time to write such a great detailed outlook as always. Just not seeming to be in the cards so far but Still positive for the next 3 weeks WHICH is the snowiest period for us in this area the time period you mention until the seconomy week of feb/ middle of feb.
how come I have a feeling we get the NAO going negative in march and get a slop storm in early March and a cold dreary march.

WINTER 2014-15 : 55.12" +.02 for 6 coatings (avg. 35")
WINTER 2015-16 Total - 29.8" (Avg 35")
WINTER 2016-17 : 39.5" so far
amugs
amugs
Advanced Forecaster - Mod
Advanced Forecaster - Mod

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Sun Jan 18, 2015 1:53 pm

Frank_Wx wrote:

OK Fair enough. Thanks buddy. You da man!

Back to top Go down

Post by Frank_Wx Sun Jan 18, 2015 2:40 pm

I like that the 26th time frame might have east-based blocking. I hope this holds up.

BLOG: Next 2-3 Weeks Will Determine Fate Of Winter Post-40-0-93233400-1421609814

Frank_Wx
Frank_Wx
Godzilla Seeker
Godzilla Seeker

Back to top Go down

Post by jmanley32 Sun Jan 18, 2015 2:58 pm

The Euro has no snow accumulation toward coast, I knw not to take these verbatim but not even a fantasy storm god. Thanks for the writrup Frank but i felt it was not as enthused as you made it sound.
jmanley32
jmanley32
Senior Enthusiast
Senior Enthusiast

Back to top Go down

Post by SoulSingMG Sun Jan 18, 2015 3:07 pm

jmanley32 wrote:The Euro has no snow accumulation toward coast, I knw not to take these verbatim but not even a fantasy storm god.  Thanks for the writrup Frank but i felt it was not as enthused as you made it sound.

I know, we get glimmers of hope only to be shut. down.

But Frank, nor anyone, can promise snow. The fact is that the upcoming 10+ days feature some hopeful pattern changes that COULD bring us some accumulating snowfall events (i.e., blocking to the east which we really haven't had properly set up this season)... Frank's basically explaining why it could be great for us snow lovers but also, responsibly so, explaining what can go wrong despite that. We will get a snow storm this Winter! I MUST BELIEVE IT! Just try to remember why we all enjoy WX -- It has and always will keep us on our toes and excite us...then taketh away...then blast us with something major. That's part of the sick obsession lol. alien
SoulSingMG
SoulSingMG
Senior Enthusiast
Senior Enthusiast

Back to top Go down

Post by Dunnzoo Sun Jan 18, 2015 3:15 pm

"I believe that it will snow!" bounce

Just don't know when!

Snowfall winter of 2023-2024  17.5"    

Snowfall winter of 2022-2023       6.0"
Snowfall winter of 2021-2022     17.6"    1" sleet 2/25/22
Snowfall winter of 2020-2021     51.1"
Snowfall winter of 2019-2020       8.5"
Snowfall winter of 2018-2019     25.1"
Snowfall winter of 2017-2018     51.9"
Snowfall winter of 2016-2017     45.6"
Snowfall winter of 2015-2016     29.5"
Snowfall winter of 2014-2015     50.55"
Snowfall winter of 2013-2014     66.5"
Dunnzoo
Dunnzoo
Senior Enthusiast - Mod
Senior Enthusiast - Mod

Back to top Go down

Post by jmanley32 Sun Jan 18, 2015 3:20 pm

Yeah true storms have popped out of nowhere only to disappear and come back. But it just has not been our year, but hopefully Franks analysis comes to fruitation and we get a few good storms. I don't even need a godzilla, one or two or more 3-6 events and we have the same amount of snow. Of course do not get me wrong a godzilla or better would be awesome.
jmanley32
jmanley32
Senior Enthusiast
Senior Enthusiast

Back to top Go down

Post by SoulSingMG Sun Jan 18, 2015 3:49 pm

jmanley32 wrote:Yeah true storms have popped out of nowhere only to disappear and come back.  But it just has not been our year, but hopefully Franks analysis comes to fruitation and we get a few good storms.  I don't even need a godzilla, one or two or more 3-6 events and we have the same amount of snow.  Of course do not get me wrong a godzilla or better would be awesome.

Ahh, yeah. I would like a ROIDZILLA. cheers
SoulSingMG
SoulSingMG
Senior Enthusiast
Senior Enthusiast

Back to top Go down

Post by Frank_Wx Sun Jan 18, 2015 5:19 pm

So...the euro ensembles have a closed 582 ddm ridge in the west with a sharp looking trough on the east. Signal for 26th storm looks good

BLOG: Next 2-3 Weeks Will Determine Fate Of Winter Ecmwf-ens_z500a_namer_9

Frank_Wx
Frank_Wx
Godzilla Seeker
Godzilla Seeker

Back to top Go down

Post by Frank_Wx Sun Jan 18, 2015 5:32 pm

18z NAVGEM for 23rd closes off H5 over NC. Impressive.

BLOG: Next 2-3 Weeks Will Determine Fate Of Winter Nvg10.500.132.namer

Frank_Wx
Frank_Wx
Godzilla Seeker
Godzilla Seeker

Back to top Go down

Post by jmanley32 Sun Jan 18, 2015 5:35 pm

No image Frank didn't post.
jmanley32
jmanley32
Senior Enthusiast
Senior Enthusiast

Back to top Go down

Post by Frank_Wx Sun Jan 18, 2015 11:34 pm

That storm around the 27th on the GFS has great potential if the ridge out west can maintain itself. MJO heading into the COD may make that a difficult task. UHG, we'll see.

Frank_Wx
Frank_Wx
Godzilla Seeker
Godzilla Seeker

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Mon Jan 19, 2015 8:25 am

Frank what happened to storm threat for this weekend?

Back to top Go down

Post by Frank_Wx Mon Jan 19, 2015 12:16 pm

Its still there.

Frank_Wx
Frank_Wx
Godzilla Seeker
Godzilla Seeker

Back to top Go down

Post by algae888 Mon Jan 19, 2015 12:28 pm

cmc out through 120hrs
BLOG: Next 2-3 Weeks Will Determine Fate Of Winter I_nw_g1_EST_2015011912_120
6z navgem
BLOG: Next 2-3 Weeks Will Determine Fate Of Winter Navgem_mslp_pcpn_us_22
algae888
algae888
Advanced Forecaster
Advanced Forecaster

Back to top Go down

Post by algae888 Mon Jan 19, 2015 12:30 pm

gfs
BLOG: Next 2-3 Weeks Will Determine Fate Of Winter Gfs_mslp_pcpn_us_22
algae888
algae888
Advanced Forecaster
Advanced Forecaster

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 1 of 6 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum