NJ Strong Weather Forum

Join the forum, it's quick and easy

NJ Strong Weather Forum
NJ Strong Weather Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Wx Banter Thread 2.0

+42
essexcountypete
Mathgod55
1190ftalt
lglickman1
bobjohnsonforthehall
SoulSingMG
jrollins628
SNOW MAN
aiannone
2004blackwrx
rb924119
CPcantmeasuresnow
jake732
docstox12
Cyanide02Z06
GreyBeard
Grselig
mwilli5783
nutleyblizzard
NjWeatherGuy
oldtimer
jmanley32
sroc4
HectorO
snow247
billg315
weatherwatchermom
WOLVES1
skinsfan1177
Radz
mako460
Quietace
Snow88
Math23x7
Frank_Wx
algae888
frank 638
Dunnzoo
dkodgis
RJB8525
amugs
Dtone
46 posters

Page 29 of 40 Previous  1 ... 16 ... 28, 29, 30 ... 34 ... 40  Next

Go down

Wx Banter Thread 2.0 - Page 29 Empty Re: Wx Banter Thread 2.0

Post by essexcountypete Tue Jan 10, 2017 9:55 am

Frank_Wx wrote:
JNaps59 wrote:Frank,

I hate to break the trend, but since I have been following the website for a while I know you work for Mars Inc.  Today Mars Inc announced they will try and buy VCA Inc.  Do you think Mars paying a 41%  takeover premium on  the 30 day  moving average is too much?   I feel like Mars is WAYY too optimistic about synergies that can will be found. Secondly.  Do you think this deal will throw a damper into Mars Inc doing another deal in the confectionery industry?

I work in Mars Confectionary / Chocolate so I'm not familiar with business that takes place in other Mars Inc. segments like Pet, Food, etc. I know Mars Pet is the largest segment of the company and they're very invested in purchasing services that betters the livelihood of animals. On the Confectionary side, we announced a merger with Wrigley that will propel us to the top of the Confectionary category (ahead of Hershey) in the world (not exactly sure about the U.S.). Merging 2 huge supply chains like that will take all kinds of manpower, time, and analysis. I don't think it will stop Mars Confectionary from making further deals. This is a privately owned company and the Mars family is dedicated in investing to remain as profitable as possible. What happens in one segment of the business doesn't necessarily impact another.

Good question though. I wish I can give you a better answer. It's been a great experience working with Mars Chocolate so far.

Small world. I have a few friends in the trademark department at Mars in Hackettstown. I work at Nestle legal in Florham Park, also doing trademarks/IP, but on the nutrition side, not confections. I'm planning a candy swap with them. They bring the M&Ms, Skittles and Snickers, and I bring the Butterfingers, Crunch bars, Raisinettes and Goobers.

The VCA acquisition now makes Mars a bigger petcare company than a confections company. With America's love of pets, and the increased focus on healthy foods and away from candy consumption, that seems like a great move.

essexcountypete
Pro Enthusiast
Pro Enthusiast

Back to top Go down

Post by sroc4 Tue Jan 10, 2017 11:39 am

essexcountypete wrote:
Frank_Wx wrote:
JNaps59 wrote:Frank,

I hate to break the trend, but since I have been following the website for a while I know you work for Mars Inc.  Today Mars Inc announced they will try and buy VCA Inc.  Do you think Mars paying a 41%  takeover premium on  the 30 day  moving average is too much?   I feel like Mars is WAYY too optimistic about synergies that can will be found. Secondly.  Do you think this deal will throw a damper into Mars Inc doing another deal in the confectionery industry?

I work in Mars Confectionary / Chocolate so I'm not familiar with business that takes place in other Mars Inc. segments like Pet, Food, etc. I know Mars Pet is the largest segment of the company and they're very invested in purchasing services that betters the livelihood of animals. On the Confectionary side, we announced a merger with Wrigley that will propel us to the top of the Confectionary category (ahead of Hershey) in the world (not exactly sure about the U.S.). Merging 2 huge supply chains like that will take all kinds of manpower, time, and analysis. I don't think it will stop Mars Confectionary from making further deals. This is a privately owned company and the Mars family is dedicated in investing to remain as profitable as possible. What happens in one segment of the business doesn't necessarily impact another.

Good question though. I wish I can give you a better answer. It's been a great experience working with Mars Chocolate so far.

Small world. I have a few friends in the trademark department at Mars in Hackettstown. I work at Nestle legal in Florham Park, also doing trademarks/IP, but on the nutrition side, not confections. I'm planning a candy swap with them. They bring the M&Ms, Skittles and Snickers, and I bring the Butterfingers, Crunch bars, Raisinettes and Goobers.

The VCA acquisition now makes Mars a bigger petcare company than a confections company. With America's love of pets, and the increased focus on healthy foods and away from candy consumption, that seems like a great move.

Purchase of VCA by Mars may look good for the company, but it IS NOT GOOD for the veterinary profession as a whole.  My wife worked for VCA for awhile.  Trust me whenI tell you big corps running the veterinary world is not what you all want as pet owners.

sroc4
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Math23x7 Tue Jan 10, 2017 1:29 pm

Two years ago today, such a great time!

Wx Banter Thread 2.0 - Page 29 Njstro10

Math23x7
Wx Statistician Guru
Wx Statistician Guru

Back to top Go down

Post by jake732 Tue Jan 10, 2017 1:36 pm

great pic! whos who??
jake732
jake732
Pro Enthusiast
Pro Enthusiast

http://www.lakewood732.com

Back to top Go down

Post by Math23x7 Tue Jan 10, 2017 1:38 pm

jake732 wrote:great pic! whos who??

Taken from Janet's post soon after the event

In the back, left to right mugs, Frank, and algae
In the front, jman and his wife Allison, Ace, Math, syosnow, zoo, docstox, aiannone

Math23x7
Wx Statistician Guru
Wx Statistician Guru

Back to top Go down

Post by jake732 Tue Jan 10, 2017 1:41 pm

thank U!!
jake732
jake732
Pro Enthusiast
Pro Enthusiast

http://www.lakewood732.com

Back to top Go down

Post by Quietace Tue Jan 10, 2017 1:48 pm

Math23x7 wrote:Two years ago today, such a great time!

Wx Banter Thread 2.0 - Page 29 Njstro10
That was a great get together!
Quietace
Quietace
Meteorologist - Mod
Meteorologist - Mod

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Tue Jan 10, 2017 3:49 pm

Math23x7 wrote:

In the front, jman and his wife Allison, Ace, Math, syosnow, zoo, docstox, aiannone

https://i.servimg.com/u/f37/18/18/87/00/njstro10.jpg

actually to clarify.....Seated from left to right Alison (Jman's wife) Jman, Quiet ace (who is not quiet but a pain in the a__) Math, Syosnow (I was buzzed up pretty good) Docstox, Dunzoo and Alex.  
Some funny stories from thet day.  We were at a BIGTIME Baltimore Ravens bar on the day they played the Patriots in the playoffs.  I walked into a standing room only bar in Manhattan and the hostess said "Oh you are with the weather people.  Upstairs"  I walked up the stairs and there were dozens of TV's tuned into the game and Hundreds of loud people cheering, and then off in the corner us 10 or so freaks discussing weather models.  CAN YOU PICTURE IT?  Having never met anyone Frank kept saying that in a 2 weeks from that date we would get snow and the pattern would flip to cold and snowy for the rest of the winter.  It had been a horrific winter up until and through that meet up.    I was saying to people and to myself 'who the heck does this kid think he is predicting snow and weather 2 weeks away"  I was skeptical to say the least.  QUIETace kept telling me to be quiet because I didn't understand the telecommunications or something like that.  I had a great time. We all did.  A lot of fun.  When I went home my wife and kids asked about the party and especially Frank and I told them he was crazy and actually thought he could predict the weather 2 weeks in advance.  She laughed and my kids said "yeah right"  Exactly 2 weeks later on the 24th it snowed thus beginning one of the coldest snowiest periods I can remember.  Since then I have sung Frank, and this boards praises to many people EVEN THOUGH FRANK HIMSELF HAS BANNED ME FROM THE SITE 3 SEPERATE TIMES!!!! Annoying

I want to do another get together soon.  It was great.

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Tue Jan 10, 2017 4:20 pm

Yes I know this is not weather, but some things are more important.

...on a side, and sad note Police Officer Steven McDonald passed away today at the age of 59. He was a NYC hero. for those who don't remember he was shot in the neck by a 15-year-old-punk (I wanted to use another word) on the subway while investigating a mugging.

Back to top Go down

Post by Math23x7 Tue Jan 10, 2017 4:24 pm

syosnow94 wrote:
Math23x7 wrote:

https://i.servimg.com/u/f37/18/18/87/00/njstro10.jpg

actually to clarify.....Seated from left to right Alison (Jman's wife) Jman, Quiet ace (who is not quiet but a pain in the a__) Math, Syosnow (I was buzzed up pretty good) Docstox, Dunzoo and Alex.  
Some funny stories from thet day.  We were at a BIGTIME Baltimore Ravens bar on the day they played the Patriots in the playoffs.  I walked into a standing room only bar in Manhattan and the hostess said "Oh you are with the weather people.  Upstairs"  I walked up the stairs and there were dozens of TV's tuned into the game and Hundreds of loud people cheering, and then off in the corner us 10 or so freaks discussing weather models.  CAN YOU PICTURE IT?  Having never met anyone Frank kept saying that in a 2 weeks from that date we would get snow and the pattern would flip to cold and snowy for the rest of the winter.  It had been a horrific winter up until and through that meet up.    I was saying to people and to myself 'who the heck does this kid think he is predicting snow and weather 2 weeks away"  I was skeptical to say the least.  QUIETace kept telling me to be quiet because I didn't understand the telecommunications or something like that.  I had a great time. We all did.  A lot of fun.  When I went home my wife and kids asked about the party and especially Frank and I told them he was crazy and actually thought he could predict the weather 2 weeks in advance.  She laughed and my kids said "yeah right"  Exactly 2 weeks later on the 24th it snowed thus beginning one of the coldest snowiest periods I can remember.  Since then I have sung Frank, and this boards praises to many people EVEN THOUGH FRANK HIMSELF HAS BANNED ME FROM THE SITE 3 SEPERATE TIMES!!!! Annoying

I want to do another get together soon.  It was great.

Well James, when I got the word at the meetup that you grew up not far from me and mentioned how the there would be times where it was raining where you were and snowing just miles north of you, I said to everyone else at the table "HE KNOWS HOW I FEEL!!!" Living in Bellerose about a mile south of the hill can do that to you.

Although to go back to the beginning of it. There are two doors near each other to get into Mustang Harry's I went in between the two doors to take off my hat, scarf, and gloves, and then I see two people walk through the door. One of them I had recognized from the first meetup on 8/24/14, amugs. He was accompanied by docstox12, someone I had wanted to see for a while. Then Ryan came minutes later to meet the three of us at the table. We congratulated him on him living in the great snowtown of Point Pleasant, NJ as he cashed in big on the snow in March 2014, while the rest of us got screwed over. All of us were wondering when the cold would come (and James brought up Frank marking 1/24 as the key date as it turns out it exactly was), I said in frustration "It will come in April" saying that we would have 40s and drizzle suring that time.

I also showed some stuff from my laptop to the group (which is actually in front of me in the picture, but is blocked). I showed you guys the several hundred EURO ensemble snow charts I saved from the past year, which left Jman amazed that I could store that much onto the PC (though I will admit Jman, I have a lot more on there now and it's kind of slow). And I brought up the charts of 65 years worth of daily NAO, AO, & PNA indices. It was asked when the highest AO readings were and I showed you guys that a lot of them took place in the relative snowdrought in the mid 80s to early 90s, to which Janet and doc saw in disgust. And Ryan asked me to show the 2009-10 winter, and of course, the super negative AO/NAO were shown. I brought up how I still have disgust of the near-miss of 2/6/10 which gave me nothing, to which I brought up again that Ryan lives in a snowtown.

Alex came by later as the train was having problems (which is unfortunately typical for the LIRR). I was excited to meet him because of his experience with meeting Jim Cantore. I asked him about that of course.

And yes, as James mentioned the Ravens-Patriots game was taking place then and it was loud. Early on the Ravens were leading to the delight of many there. The "ooooo-oo-oo-oo-oooo-oooo" chant broke out to which Ryan replied "That's a soccer chant." Fortunately, by the time the Pats had come back, I was by myself at Penn Station waiting for the train.

Of all those I have yet to meet, the one I want to meet so badly is CP!

Math23x7
Wx Statistician Guru
Wx Statistician Guru

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Tue Jan 10, 2017 5:12 pm

I hope this thing trends north or I'm gonna be suffering from suppression depression.

Back to top Go down

Post by amugs Tue Jan 10, 2017 6:00 pm

Wow l I k at you we are in that picture haha, absolutely awesome time!!

WINTER 2014-15 : 55.12" +.02 for 6 coatings (avg. 35")
WINTER 2015-16 Total - 29.8" (Avg 35")
WINTER 2016-17 : 39.5" so far
amugs
amugs
Advanced Forecaster - Mod

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Tue Jan 10, 2017 6:18 pm

amugs wrote:Wow l I k at you we are in that picture haha, absolutely awesome time!!

??Huh This is bad grammar even for you. By the way look at the disturbingly loving way I'm looking at Math in the picture. CREEPY!! Shocked Shocked

Back to top Go down

Post by Frank_Wx Tue Jan 10, 2017 6:23 pm

James I'll tell you what. You're one funny dude.

lol! lol!

CLICK HERE to view NJ Strong Snowstorm Classifications
Frank_Wx
Frank_Wx
Godzilla Seeker
Godzilla Seeker

http://njstrongweather.blogspot.com/

Back to top Go down

Post by rb924119 Tue Jan 10, 2017 6:26 pm

This article infuriates me:

https://www.washingtonpost.com/news/capital-weather-gang/wp/2017/01/09/u-s-posts-second-warmest-year-on-record-breadth-of-warmth-unparalleled/?postshare=9701483995604000&tid=ss_fb&utm_term=.00843027c801

rb924119
Meteorologist
Meteorologist

Back to top Go down

Post by Frank_Wx Tue Jan 10, 2017 7:12 pm

rb924119 wrote:This article infuriates me:

https://www.washingtonpost.com/news/capital-weather-gang/wp/2017/01/09/u-s-posts-second-warmest-year-on-record-breadth-of-warmth-unparalleled/?postshare=9701483995604000&tid=ss_fb&utm_term=.00843027c801

On a quick glance it looks like the data is pretty bias. What specifically do you dislike?

Frank_Wx
Frank_Wx
Godzilla Seeker
Godzilla Seeker

Back to top Go down

Post by rb924119 Tue Jan 10, 2017 7:51 pm

The examples they used to further demonstrate their point. For example:

"Several extreme rainfall events were described as 1-in-1,000-year occurrences, including torrents that swamped northern Louisiana in March, Greenbrier County, W.Va., in June, Ellicott City, Md., in July, southern Louisiana in August and eastern North Carolina in October (from Hurricane Matthew)."

Ok, Louisiana examples might be fair, but the individual counties or cities, and a freakin' hurricane are not even valid. Just unbelievable in my opinion. I hate when individual events are automatically linked to something when there is no sure way to clearly prove causation, ESPECIALLY at scales that are so small. Then, this "story" is fed to the public who don't understand the problems and they take it as gospel. I am all for scientific article, but this does not lend itself to being one in my opinion.

rb924119
Meteorologist
Meteorologist

Back to top Go down

Post by Frank_Wx Tue Jan 10, 2017 7:56 pm

Agree. It's an embarrassment.

What do you make of global warming? Do you feel human activity has any influence, or that the globe is actually "warming"?

Frank_Wx
Frank_Wx
Godzilla Seeker
Godzilla Seeker

Back to top Go down

Post by billg315 Tue Jan 10, 2017 8:17 pm

I'll add my two cents (even if it wasn't asked for). While I don't think anything can be definitively proven at this point, I think to say human activity is causing global climatological change is a stretch. Contributing to it in a small way - possibly. Of course the climate is changing - always does. We did used to have glaciers here, and I don't think it's automobiles and airplanes that melted them. But to think humans alone are dramatically altering global climate is for me a stretch. One thing I do feel certain, is that even if the planet is getting warmer, and humans are contributing, almost NONE of the daily weather occurrences people point to (individual storms, storm intensity, seasonal temperature variations) are actually evidence of it. You need a much longer range analysis (100s of years) for proof - not that we had a couple unusually strong storms in the last few years.
p.s. Since this is a hot button topic let me add this to anyone with a different view: if you disagree with me know that I respect your opinion and am not closed minded on this subject. I just think there's a lot more uncertainty about it than some people allow for.
billg315
billg315

Back to top Go down

Post by Frank_Wx Tue Jan 10, 2017 8:22 pm

Agree with you Bill. I don't know much about the topic to be passionate about any one side, but I will say our temperatures records only go back 150 or so years. For as long as the earth has existed, is that enough data to say we're in a warming trend? Or is it a warming cycle that's happened many times thousands of years ago. Who knows.

Frank_Wx
Frank_Wx
Godzilla Seeker
Godzilla Seeker

Back to top Go down

Post by rb924119 Tue Jan 10, 2017 9:18 pm

I agree with the above sentiments, to put it simply baha

rb924119
Meteorologist
Meteorologist

Back to top Go down

Post by 2004blackwrx Tue Jan 10, 2017 9:57 pm

Help try to save Indian Point http://petitions.moveon.org/sign/keep-indian-point-open?source=s.em.mt&r_by=17415399

2004blackwrx
Pro Enthusiast
Pro Enthusiast

Back to top Go down

Post by amugs Tue Jan 10, 2017 10:10 pm

syosnow94 wrote:
amugs wrote:Wow l I k at you we are in that picture haha, absolutely awesome time!!

??Huh  This is bad grammar even for you.  By the way look at the disturbingly loving way I'm looking at Math in the picture.  CREEPY!! Shocked Shocked

Bad Grammer no big meaty claws for a mobile device smartphone keypad. 

On GW topic and not to cause a firestorm but it something thatbshould not b discussed since it is a HOT topic l, no pun intended. I have read and spoken to climatologist from NJ Bill Robison. I have read two books by impartial scientists and forensics climatologists. Our data is to vague at this stage to be conclusive that man has accelerated such. We are in an ebb and flow of this climate and I know Isotherm has much more in depth info. Here is a compelling stat, ozone and CO2 in the atmosphere during the last ice age was twice of what it is now from core samples. I will leave it at that.

WINTER 2014-15 : 55.12" +.02 for 6 coatings (avg. 35")
WINTER 2015-16 Total - 29.8" (Avg 35")
WINTER 2016-17 : 39.5" so far
amugs
amugs

Back to top Go down

Post by rb924119 Tue Jan 10, 2017 10:19 pm

See that's what's wrong with topics like this, as well as many others, Mugs. People get so fired up and angry at "the other side" they lose all ability to talk calmly amongst each other, state their claims, present any evidence, and discuss further the evidence supporting such claims. Instead, it immediately escalates to the point that nobody wants to talk about it for fear of igniting the furnace. And THAT is PRECISELY why nothing gets done or discussed, which is totally unacceptable. Whether it's true or not, people should not have to worry about inciting anything, and it's sad that we can't do that with something so important and relevant. If people can talk calmly and LISTEN to both sides, regardless of what they believe themselves, and then calmly discuss any differences of opinion and facts, then discussion should be welcomed. That's what science is truly about, at least in my opinion.

rb924119
Meteorologist
Meteorologist

Back to top Go down

Post by rb924119 Tue Jan 10, 2017 10:28 pm

People, including scientists themselves, get so blinded they lose the very objectivity that they preach about, and become so close-minded that no other option exists except for the truth of their belief, and that's just not right. Very, very frustrating, for all of us I'm sure.

rb924119
Meteorologist
Meteorologist

Back to top Go down

Post by billg315 Wed Jan 11, 2017 6:14 am

rb I was about to write a post agreeing with you then I realized I was just writing the same thing you just said, so I'll leave it at: I agree.
billg315
billg315

Back to top Go down

Post by weatherwatchermom Wed Jan 11, 2017 9:13 am

MY SNOW IS ALL GONE!!! Sad Sad Sad
weatherwatchermom
weatherwatchermom
Senior Enthusiast
Senior Enthusiast