NJ Strong Weather Forum

Join the forum, it's quick and easy

NJ Strong Weather Forum
NJ Strong Weather Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Banter Thread 9.0

+30
snowday111
Koroptim
mmanisca
Sparky Sparticles
heehaw453
frank 638
dkodgis
2004blackwrx
amugs
crippo84
nutleyblizzard
HectorO
kalleg
essexcountypete
Grselig
MattyICE
Dunnzoo
sroc4
WeatherBob
GreyBeard
phil155
jmanley32
billg315
docstox12
CPcantmeasuresnow
deadrabbit79
weatherwatchermom
rb924119
SENJsnowman
Frank_Wx
34 posters

Page 3 of 11 Previous  1, 2, 3, 4 ... 9, 10, 11  Next

Go down

Banter Thread 9.0 - Page 3 Empty Re: Banter Thread 9.0

Post by essexcountypete Tue Jan 16, 2024 8:11 pm

SENJsnowman wrote:I’ve had much the same conversation with Viceroy HeeHaw, it went like this:

Viceroy HeeHaw:
The coast will taint with rain.

SENJ:
Again? I thought we were clean this time.

Viceroy HeeHaw:
You shall taint I say. It’s there in the h5 and in the 850.

SENJ:
But I hate when it taints. Say it ain’t so.

Viceroy HeeHaw:
It taint so.

SENJ:
Did you say ain’t or taint?

Viceroy HeeHaw:
Take your leave now.

SENJ:
Your excellency.

Pete, whatcha drinking? This rounds on me…

My usual post-shoveling Cabernet with Advil. Cheers!

essexcountypete
Pro Enthusiast
Pro Enthusiast

docstox12, kalleg and SENJsnowman like this post

Back to top Go down

Post by rb924119 Wed Jan 17, 2024 9:21 am

For those wondering, yes, I’m fine, just have been super busy. I worked through Saturday, then Sunday I was busy running around doing various errands, and then Monday my Dad and I took a trip to Ontario to pick up my new log splitter from Eastonmade’s HQ in Perth. 5.5 hours there, about a half hour on site finalizing paperwork and getting the machine ready for towing, then 5.5 hours back. We hit two bands of lake effect snow between Adams, NY and the border, so that was pretty cool to see. But otherwise the trip was fine.

One thing that I wanted to say is that nobody should feel bad about the lack of snow, because until we got to Adams, nobody from here in NEPA all the way to Adams had any significant snow on the ground. It ranged from nothing to a couple inches, which was all fresh from the minor event the two days before. But then it turned into a solid foot, and probably even more than that real quick haha

Lastly, I’ve been trying to figure out what my thoughts are through the remainder of winter, because, quite honestly, it’s confusing the absolute bejesus outta me lol there’s so much going on atmospherically, and none of it wants to play nice…..at least for now. We have another strat warm event underway (which is great), the ENSO SST’s are prime (also great), but as I mentioned a while ago, the dreaded slowing and growing of the MJO pulse through the Maritime Continent is now becoming apparent (not good), and I think that will exert its influence. However, figuring out how our pattern is going to respond to all of this has been about as easy as picking a winning NCAA Basketball bracket lol I saw Frank’s post in the LR thread about a temporary reset, and I think I largely agree. Beyond that, I’m formulating my thoughts (which are different than the ones I previously and briefly mentioned a couple weeks ago), and I don’t think that it’s all bad news. I’ll try to post on that maybe tonight or within the next couple of days. I will say this, though, I don’t think we write February off like I suggested previously. In fact, February and March may make up for our snow woes IF we can get lucky, because yet again, I think we will have a generally favorable pattern progression. Whether or not we can get the individual pieces to come together properly, that remains to be seen.

rb924119
Meteorologist
Meteorologist

amugs, dolphins222, SENJsnowman and JT33 like this post

Back to top Go down

Post by kalleg Wed Jan 17, 2024 9:29 am

rb924119 wrote:For those wondering, yes, I’m fine, just have been super busy. I worked through Saturday, then Sunday I was busy running around doing various errands, and then Monday my Dad and I took a trip to Ontario to pick up my new log splitter from Eastonmade’s HQ in Perth. 5.5 hours there, about a half hour on site finalizing paperwork and getting the machine ready for towing, then 5.5 hours back. We hit two bands of lake effect snow between Adams, NY and the border, so that was pretty cool to see. But otherwise the trip was fine.

One thing that I wanted to say is that nobody should feel bad about the lack of snow, because until we got to Adams, nobody from here in NEPA all the way to Adams had any significant snow on the ground. It ranged from nothing to a couple inches, which was all fresh from the minor event the two days before. But then it turned into a solid foot, and probably even more than that real quick haha

Lastly, I’ve been trying to figure out what my thoughts are through the remainder of winter, because, quite honestly, it’s confusing the absolute bejesus outta me lol there’s so much going on atmospherically, and none of it wants to play nice…..at least for now. We have another strat warm event underway (which is great), the ENSO SST’s are prime (also great), but as I mentioned a while ago, the dreaded slowing and growing of the MJO pulse through the Maritime Continent is now becoming apparent (not good), and I think that will exert its influence. However, figuring out how our pattern is going to respond to all of this has been about as easy as picking a winning NCAA Basketball bracket lol I saw Frank’s post in the LR thread about a temporary reset, and I think I largely agree. Beyond that, I’m formulating my thoughts (which are different than the ones I previously and briefly mentioned a couple weeks ago), and I don’t think that it’s all bad news. I’ll try to post on that maybe tonight or within the next couple of days. I will say this, though, I don’t think we write February off like I suggested previously. In fact, February and March may make up for our snow woes IF we can get lucky, because yet again, I think we will have a generally favorable pattern progression. Whether or not we can get the individual pieces to come together properly, that remains to be seen.

Had to ask Ms Google what a log splitter would look like, being some what of a city girl...
WOW, a serious piece of machinery indeed, definitely something to be towed to its new home!
Banter Thread 9.0 - Page 3 60-2_orig

kalleg

Back to top Go down

Post by rb924119 Wed Jan 17, 2024 9:39 am

Oooo haha no, no. That’s a processor. I’m on a smaller scale than that lol here’s my new baby after I gave ‘er a bath from the ride back:

Banter Thread 9.0 - Page 3 Img_2010

For those who may be familiar with the firewood world, it’s a 12-22 with a tall 4-way wedge. I ran it for a brief time after this picture was taken, but still haven’t actually used it yet. Unfortunately, I won’t be able to for another four days thanks to my regular job GFS Model Brick Tired Mad

rb924119
Meteorologist
Meteorologist

sroc4, docstox12, kalleg, Grselig and JT33 like this post

Back to top Go down

Post by Grselig Wed Jan 17, 2024 2:58 pm

Meh.  (All tongue in cheek.  Not serious. Maybe a hair Smile)
What have we become. Once a proud group striving for perfection. Godzillas. Roidzillas. Stuff so powerful the Liver King is afraid of them (fyi some dude who lived on raw meat and made a fortune until it was discovered he was injecting gallons of steroids).  But now we settle happily for a few inches.  Not even a Mothra!  I guess the past winters have indeed sapped our fortitude.  I for one declare, give me real snow.  Or give me  Florida!!  Another storm with potential, now not even an Advisory for Friday.  Still. We fight!! We must save Winter. For our children. Our grandchildren. So they too can go 🛷 down a hill during real snow days.  #savewinter. We fight!!
Grselig
Grselig
Senior Enthusiast
Senior Enthusiast

sroc4, docstox12, kalleg, essexcountypete and SENJsnowman like this post

Back to top Go down

Post by jmanley32 Wed Jan 17, 2024 4:08 pm

Grselig wrote:Meh.  (All tongue in cheek.  Not serious. Maybe a hair Smile)
What have we become. Once a proud group striving for perfection. Godzillas. Roidzillas. Stuff so powerful the Liver King is afraid of them (fyi some dude who lived on raw meat and made a fortune until it was discovered he was injecting gallons of steroids).  But now we settle happily for a few inches.  Not even a Mothra!  I guess the past winters have indeed sapped our fortitude.  I for one declare, give me real snow.  Or give me  Florida!!  Another storm with potential, now not even an Advisory for Friday.  Still. We fight!! We must save Winter. For our children. Our grandchildren. So they too can go 🛷 down a hill during real snow days.  #savewinter. We fight!!
actually most of nj just got a afvisory 2 to 4.
jmanley32
jmanley32
Senior Enthusiast
Senior Enthusiast

Back to top Go down

Post by Grselig Wed Jan 17, 2024 4:23 pm

jmanley32 wrote:
actually most of nj just got a afvisory 2 to 4.

Ha Jman

I saw that. But my area (Wayne NJ, just west of you) only got a Hazardous notice. So yeah, in my backyard its not even Advisory. Snow Gods punishing me.
Grselig
Grselig
Senior Enthusiast
Senior Enthusiast

weatherwatchermom likes this post

Back to top Go down

Post by docstox12 Wed Jan 17, 2024 6:59 pm

LOL!
As someone who saw many 12 inch plus snowfalls since 1960, by the 1990's I would not even waste my time on anything less than a foot.But following the Channel 7 Bill Evans site which then became NJ Strong made even following minor storms like the other day and tomorrow a lot of fun.Would not miss it for anything, the ups the downs and the laughs.It's true there are things that can cause a storm to bust low BUT there are times very pleasant surprises happen too!Plenty of snow time left still and right now just enjoying the snowpack and the very cold temps.Anything Friday is a gift.
docstox12
docstox12
Wx Statistician Guru
Wx Statistician Guru

sroc4, kalleg, Grselig, essexcountypete and SENJsnowman like this post

Back to top Go down

Post by Grselig Wed Jan 17, 2024 9:01 pm

docstox12 wrote:

LOL!
As someone who saw many 12 inch plus snowfalls since 1960, by the 1990's I would not even waste my time on anything less than a foot.But following the Channel 7 Bill Evans site which then became NJ Strong made even following minor storms like the other day and tomorrow a lot of fun.Would not miss it for anything, the ups the downs and the laughs.It's true there are things that can cause a storm to bust low BUT there are times very pleasant surprises happen too!Plenty of snow time left still and right now just enjoying the snowpack and the very cold temps.Anything Friday is a gift.

yeah Doc. In truth I agree. I would love to see a 12 inch. But still. It's very sweet seeing winter again. Even though it's not much, its winter and I am appreciative. For me, 3 inches on Friday is gift. Feels nice. Put on the fire. Pour some decent bourbon. And relax.
Grselig
Grselig
Senior Enthusiast
Senior Enthusiast

sroc4, docstox12 and weatherwatchermom like this post

Back to top Go down

Post by docstox12 Thu Jan 18, 2024 6:24 am

Grselig wrote:
docstox12 wrote:

LOL!

yeah Doc.  In truth I agree.  I would love to see a 12 inch.  But still.  It's very sweet seeing winter again.  Even though it's not much, its winter and I am appreciative.  For me, 3 inches on Friday is  gift.  Feels nice.  Put on the fire. Pour some decent bourbon.  And relax.  

Amen Freind! Basil Haydon or Woodford and a good Cuban cigar by the fireplace!
Nice snowy day tomorrow and cold stretch through the weekend.
docstox12
docstox12
Wx Statistician Guru
Wx Statistician Guru

crippo84 and essexcountypete like this post

Back to top Go down

Post by HectorO Thu Jan 18, 2024 9:51 am

Beggers can't be choosers. Some snow is better than nothing.
HectorO
HectorO
Pro Enthusiast
Pro Enthusiast

Frank_Wx, kalleg, essexcountypete and jmanley32 like this post

Back to top Go down

Post by nutleyblizzard Thu Jan 18, 2024 5:51 pm

You would think that after a lackluster winter last year where I only received 4 1/2 inches, there would be better results this winter. So far I have only 2 inches. The theme thus far this winter is a massive cutter or a paltry snow event. Frustrating to say the least.
nutleyblizzard
nutleyblizzard
Senior Enthusiast
Senior Enthusiast

essexcountypete likes this post

Back to top Go down

Post by crippo84 Thu Jan 18, 2024 8:36 pm

nutleyblizzard wrote:You would think that after a lackluster winter last year where I only received 4 1/2 inches, there would be better results this winter. So far I have only 2 inches. The theme thus far this winter is a massive cutter or a paltry snow event. Frustrating to say the least.

Facts. Growing up in Virginia Beach we got excited about the occasional (once, maybe twice a winter) small snowfall similar to what we've experienced over the past 2 winters so far. Otherwise, we got nothing more than rainstorms while the snow fell just northwest of us in Richmond up to DC. It was frustrating then. It's terribly frustrating now.

What can you do though right? Come to the banter thread and take a load off lol
crippo84
crippo84

Back to top Go down

Post by amugs Thu Jan 18, 2024 9:05 pm

Congrats to Alex becoming a moderater. A much well deserved honor and from a kid who was on Channel 7 board that use to PM about days off from school likelihood to a young man who pursued becoming a pro met but changed after taking fluid physics n dynamics (lol not really) to a great young man and voice on this board. We are privileged to have him.  
Just made our board that much better.
Congrats Alex.

WINTER 2014-15 : 55.12" +.02 for 6 coatings (avg. 35")
WINTER 2015-16 Total - 29.8" (Avg 35")
WINTER 2016-17 : 39.5" so far
amugs
amugs
Advanced Forecaster - Mod
Advanced Forecaster - Mod

Frank_Wx, sroc4, docstox12, Dunnzoo, Radz, kalleg, nancy-j-s and like this post

Back to top Go down

Post by Frank_Wx Thu Jan 18, 2024 11:11 pm

Amen to that Mugsy!! Congrats Alex

CLICK HERE to view NJ Strong Snowstorm Classifications
Frank_Wx
Frank_Wx
Godzilla Seeker
Godzilla Seeker

http://njstrongweather.blogspot.com/

Back to top Go down

Post by weatherwatchermom Fri Jan 19, 2024 12:00 am

Congratulations 🎉🎉 Alex!
weatherwatchermom
weatherwatchermom
Senior Enthusiast
Senior Enthusiast

Back to top Go down

Post by 2004blackwrx Fri Jan 19, 2024 12:51 am

Its amazing this all started from watching sam chamlpion and his awful forecasts. Ive been here since 2009 ish and enjoyed the sites growth. Although no one is on tv we have way better Mets now.

2004blackwrx
Pro Enthusiast
Pro Enthusiast

Frank_Wx, sroc4, docstox12, amugs, CPcantmeasuresnow and 2004blackwrx like this post

Back to top Go down

Post by MattyICE Fri Jan 19, 2024 8:25 am

I’m usually pretty optimistic. But I tracked hard AF the past 2 weeks for likely a grand total of like 4-5” over 3 events. Juice not worth the squeeze. Taking a much needed break from looking at this stuff every day.

MattyICE
Advanced Forecaster
Advanced Forecaster

sroc4, docstox12, amugs, CPcantmeasuresnow and essexcountypete like this post

Back to top Go down

Post by sroc4 Fri Jan 19, 2024 9:01 am

MattyICE wrote:I’m usually pretty optimistic. But I tracked hard AF the past 2 weeks for likely a grand total of like 4-5” over 3 events. Juice not worth the squeeze. Taking a much needed break from looking at this stuff every day.

After today I plan on briefly examine the ensembles this weekend to see how the next couple of weeks shape up but I am right there with you Matty.  Righty there with you.  You should take a trip to OTI.  There is a great bar there called the coconut lounge for this exact thing.

WINTER 2014/2015 TOTALS 71.20"WINTER 2019/2020 TOTALS 6.35"
WINTER 2015/2016 TOTALS 35.00"WINTER 2020/2021 TOTALS 37.75"
WINTER 2016/2017 TOTALS 42.25"WINTER 2021/2022 TOTALS 31.65" 
sroc4
sroc4
Admin
Admin

docstox12, amugs, CPcantmeasuresnow, kalleg, essexcountypete, weatherwatchermom and MattyICE like this post

Back to top Go down

Post by weatherwatchermom Sat Jan 20, 2024 9:07 am

Dunzoo did your mom get to Florida ok?!
weatherwatchermom
weatherwatchermom
Senior Enthusiast
Senior Enthusiast

Back to top Go down

Post by docstox12 Sat Jan 20, 2024 9:19 am

sroc4 wrote:
MattyICE wrote:I’m usually pretty optimistic. But I tracked hard AF the past 2 weeks for likely a grand total of like 4-5” over 3 events. Juice not worth the squeeze. Taking a much needed break from looking at this stuff every day.

After today I plan on briefly examine the ensembles this weekend to see how the next couple of weeks shape up but I am right there with you Matty.  Righty there with you.  You should take a trip to OTI.  There is a great bar there called the coconut lounge for this exact thing.

Thank you Doc for the OTI Coconut Lounge boost! You long range guys all deserve R&R there!

docstox12
docstox12
Wx Statistician Guru
Wx Statistician Guru

sroc4 and weatherwatchermom like this post

Back to top Go down

Post by Dunnzoo Sat Jan 20, 2024 9:24 am

weatherwatchermom wrote:Dunzoo did your mom get to Florida ok?!

Yes, no issues at Newark. Thanks for asking! It snowed all day but there was no accumulation on pavement up here. Wish I went with her!

Snowfall winter of 2023-2024  17.5"    

Snowfall winter of 2022-2023       6.0"
Snowfall winter of 2021-2022     17.6"    1" sleet 2/25/22
Snowfall winter of 2020-2021     51.1"
Snowfall winter of 2019-2020       8.5"
Snowfall winter of 2018-2019     25.1"
Snowfall winter of 2017-2018     51.9"
Snowfall winter of 2016-2017     45.6"
Snowfall winter of 2015-2016     29.5"
Snowfall winter of 2014-2015     50.55"
Snowfall winter of 2013-2014     66.5"
Dunnzoo
Dunnzoo
Senior Enthusiast - Mod
Senior Enthusiast - Mod

docstox12 likes this post

Back to top Go down

Post by weatherwatchermom Sat Jan 20, 2024 11:59 am

Dunnzoo wrote:
weatherwatchermom wrote:Dunzoo did your mom get to Florida ok?!

Yes, no issues at Newark. Thanks for asking!  It snowed all day but there was no accumulation on pavement up here. Wish I went with her!

My husband is at Newark now flight at 1:30 to Sunny West Palm beach...I will enjoy my cold snow covered home!
weatherwatchermom
weatherwatchermom
Senior Enthusiast
Senior Enthusiast

Dunnzoo likes this post

Back to top Go down

Post by weatherwatchermom Sat Jan 20, 2024 12:01 pm

docstox12 wrote:
sroc4 wrote:

Thank you Doc for the OTI Coconut Lounge boost! You long range guys all deserve R&R there!

Might check in..lol but for now I am planning on cleaning out the attic..son goes back to school tom and husband left for a business trip today! so shhhh...I can throw out/donate a lot being home alone and no one to say...what is that??? and this week will be warmer so not as cold up there... Smile
weatherwatchermom
weatherwatchermom
Senior Enthusiast
Senior Enthusiast

docstox12, kalleg and phil155 like this post

Back to top Go down

Post by docstox12 Sun Jan 21, 2024 10:08 am

weatherwatchermom wrote:
docstox12 wrote:
sroc4 wrote:

Might check in..lol but for now I am planning on cleaning out the attic..son goes back to school tom and husband left for a business trip today! so shhhh...I can throw out/donate  a lot being home alone and no one to say...what is that??? and this week will be warmer so not as cold up there... Smile

Mom, non weather question, but are you familiar with Little Silver? My Aunt, Uncle and Cousins lived on Willow Drive and some 62 years ago , my one cousin and I would walk up a little ways to a little soda shop/lunchenette called the Sugar Bar to buy balsa wood planes with rubber bands.Also remember walking to Fort Monmouth.Exit 109.
docstox12
docstox12
Wx Statistician Guru
Wx Statistician Guru

Back to top Go down

Post by weatherwatchermom Sun Jan 21, 2024 12:56 pm

docstox12 wrote:
weatherwatchermom wrote:
docstox12 wrote:
sroc4 wrote:

Might check in..lol but for now I am planning on cleaning out the attic..son goes back to school tom and husband left for a business trip today! so shhhh...I can throw out/donate  a lot being home alone and no one to say...what is that??? and this week will be warmer so not as cold up there... Smile

Mom, non weather question, but are you familiar with Little Silver? My Aunt, Uncle and Cousins lived on Willow Drive and some 62 years ago , my one cousin and I would walk up a little ways to a little soda shop/lunchenette called the Sugar Bar to buy balsa wood planes with rubber bands.Also remember walking to Fort Monmouth.Exit 109.

those are close to me. Fort Monmouth will be going thru a big change. I heard they are going to make it into a tv and film production facility. I think that will be good for the area. My dr is in little silver.. Very Happy
weatherwatchermom
weatherwatchermom
Senior Enthusiast
Senior Enthusiast

Back to top Go down

Post by weatherwatchermom Tue Jan 23, 2024 12:01 am

https://www.dailymail.co.uk/sciencetech/article-12992259/explosions-sun-impact-earth.html?ico=related-replace

Mugs for you
weatherwatchermom
weatherwatchermom
Senior Enthusiast
Senior Enthusiast

amugs likes this post

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 3 of 11 Previous  1, 2, 3, 4 ... 9, 10, 11  Next