NJ Strong Weather Forum

Join the forum, it's quick and easy

NJ Strong Weather Forum
NJ Strong Weather Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Sports Chat

+16
nutleyblizzard
Philliesfan
CPcantmeasuresnow
mako460
amugs
nofoboater
Math23x7
Quietace
sroc4
Dunnzoo
Snow88
KevinNewWindsorOC
Just in it for the Snow!
docstox12
Noreaster
Frank_Wx
20 posters

Page 7 of 14 Previous  1 ... 6, 7, 8 ... 10 ... 14  Next

Go down

Sports Chat  - Page 7 Empty Re: Sports Chat

Post by Quietace Wed Sep 25, 2013 11:13 pm

amugs wrote:Math, spry not a fan of the Yankees nor Mets but a true blue collar, low budget, small market team - Oakland A's. You all would love to have Bily Beane running your teams. I know I may catch shit for this on this pro Yankee board but this is what makes life great - Variety!  Sorry Yankee fans have to wait till next year, if then.
Dont worry the A's will lose in the first round as they always do...haha Very Happy

Quietace
Meteorologist - Mod
Meteorologist - Mod

Back to top Go down

Post by Frank_Wx Wed Sep 25, 2013 11:45 pm

Yankees officially out. I think I'll hit the bar Friday...lol

Frank_Wx
Godzilla Seeker
Godzilla Seeker

http://njstrongweather.blogspot.com/

Back to top Go down

Post by docstox12 Thu Sep 26, 2013 8:01 am

Dunnzoo wrote:whatta ya know, Mets had a winning away game record! lol Now they need to learn to win at home. And when all is said and done both NY teams are going home Monday.....
Yep, that's the bottom line.To a Yankee Fan, anything less than a World Series title is a failure year.As some joker here said the Mets suck... well, guess what, so do the Yankees for not even making the playoffs!

Their future looks grim, Rivera and Pettite gone, Jeter shot, A Roid still choking and Sabathia and Texiera on the decline.No farm prospects on the horizon.Can't say I'm shedding a tear, heh,heh,heh,.........
docstox12
docstox12
Wx Statistician Guru
Wx Statistician Guru

Back to top Go down

Post by docstox12 Thu Sep 26, 2013 8:02 am

Frank_Wx wrote:Yankees officially out. I think I'll hit the bar Friday...lol
Better make a multi year deal with that bar with the future of the Yankees,LOL!
docstox12
docstox12
Wx Statistician Guru
Wx Statistician Guru

Back to top Go down

Post by nofoboater Thu Sep 26, 2013 8:13 am

docstox12 wrote:
Dunnzoo wrote:whatta ya know, Mets had a winning away game record! lol Now they need to learn to win at home. And when all is said and done both NY teams are going home Monday.....
Yep, that's the bottom line.To a Yankee Fan, anything less than a World Series title is a failure year.As some joker here said the Mets suck... well, guess what, so do the Yankees for not even making the playoffs!

Their future looks grim, Rivera and Pettite gone, Jeter shot, A Roid still choking and Sabathia and Texiera on the decline.No farm prospects on the horizon.Can't say I'm shedding a tear, heh,heh,heh,.........
Kano's a free agent, he would look good in orange blue. He's going to demand big money but Alderson preached "big spending" this offseason. Let's see if he puts his money where is mouth is. And again, no disrespect to him, at the end of the day, it's ownership that signs the checks...just saying.

nofoboater

Back to top Go down

Post by amugs Thu Sep 26, 2013 10:32 am

docstox12 wrote:

They do not invest in their farm system cause they have the BIG BUCKS to go out and BUY players - they are old, worn out and basically done if they do not stock their farm system and need to bite the bullet as they did in the mid to late 1980's - they have a rich history of success no doubt about it but if the support (farm system) isn't there and you keep dipping into the market to sign players then it will eventually catch up to you along with signing them to ridiculous contracts. (I do not blame the players - if you want to offer me 20 mil to play a child's game guaranteed I would sign as well in a heartbeat)

Ol' Queens is going to make a lot of money off you Frank - HAHA!! (Unless you know someone who works their who'll set you up!)
amugs
amugs
Advanced Forecaster - Mod

Back to top Go down

Post by sroc4 Thu Sep 26, 2013 12:25 pm

Some of you non Yankee fans dont have much of a clue. Since the death of "The Boss" Hal Steinbrenner has been running the ship much differently. We do have a farm system with some talent that needs no more than a yr or 2 to continue to develop. As soon as A Rod's appeal is set and he is banned again (prob for a reduced number of games) that will free up ALOT of cash for the yankees to Rebuild. With Cano at age 31 It would be worth it to sign him to a bigger deal for prob no more than 5-6yrs, but the question is does he want to stay a Yankee or go for more money and more years. A healthy Jeter, Cano, Texiera, Granderson, Gardner, is a nice foundation to build around for the next few yrs while the farm talent, esp at SS develops. Hey Mugs for your viewing pleasure. Laughing 
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xCUMXpU6N3k

WINTER 2014/2015 TOTALS 71.20"WINTER 2019/2020 TOTALS 6.35"
WINTER 2015/2016 TOTALS 35.00"WINTER 2020/2021 TOTALS 37.75"
WINTER 2016/2017 TOTALS 42.25"WINTER 2021/2022 TOTALS 31.65" 
sroc4
sroc4
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by docstox12 Thu Sep 26, 2013 2:00 pm

sroc4 wrote:Some of you non Yankee fans dont have much of a clue.  Since the death of "The Boss" Hal Steinbrenner has been running the ship much differently.  We do have a farm system with some talent that needs no more than  a yr or 2 to continue to develop.  As soon as A Rod's appeal is set and he is banned again (prob for a reduced number of games) that will free up ALOT of cash for the yankees to Rebuild.  With Cano at age 31 It would be worth it to sign him to a bigger deal for prob no more than 5-6yrs, but the question is does he want to stay a Yankee or go for more money and more years.  A healthy Jeter, Cano, Texiera, Granderson, Gardner, is a nice foundation to build around for the next few yrs while the farm talent, esp at SS develops.  Hey Mugs for your viewing pleasure. Laughing 
I'm not a Yankee Fan but here is what I see.You will need to shell out 30 mil a year for many years to keep Cano.There goes a lot of that A roid cash.Just read Granderson is thinking of the free agent market as well.What about the pitching, Sabbathia on the decline and now no Pettite or Rivera.Jeter and Texiera rapidly aging and brittle.

Hope that farm club you talk about produces fast and good.
docstox12
docstox12
Wx Statistician Guru
Wx Statistician Guru

Back to top Go down

Post by amugs Thu Sep 26, 2013 2:45 pm

sroc4 wrote:Some of you non Yankee fans dont have much of a clue.  Since the death of "The Boss" Hal Steinbrenner has been running the ship much differently.  We do have a farm system with some talent that needs no more than  a yr or 2 to continue to develop.  As soon as A Rod's appeal is set and he is banned again (prob for a reduced number of games) that will free up ALOT of cash for the yankees to Rebuild.  With Cano at age 31 It would be worth it to sign him to a bigger deal for prob no more than 5-6yrs, but the question is does he want to stay a Yankee or go for more money and more years.  A healthy Jeter, Cano, Texiera, Granderson, Gardner, is a nice foundation to build around for the next few yrs while the farm talent, esp at SS develops.  Hey Mugs for your viewing pleasure. Laughing 
Roc - ouch that one hurts!! - Frigin' Giambi - I give credit were it is do and Jeter made a phenomenal play but that is history and I know the Yankees have some prospects but they choose to sign the established player or use their $ to buy a player and lock him up for 5-7-10 years then hit a point of no return with these contracts - listen I learned a long time ago that you can never argue with a Yankee fan (my in laws!! then again you can never argue with your in laws and win anything:lol: Laughing !!!!). Those guys you mention are a solid foundation on paper but herein lies baseball - pitching - not #1 and 2 guys but the #3 -#6 guys and the pen in today's game.
Peace to all you Yankee fans and enjoy the early offseasn:lol: Laughing Laughing 
amugs
amugs

Back to top Go down

Post by docstox12 Thu Sep 26, 2013 3:18 pm

Absolutely right about pitching which we will soon see throughout the playoff games and WS to come.Looking forward to these one game playoffs to come.Pittsburgh-Cincy and American league yet to be resolved.I think Tampa Bay is in solid but it's between the Indians and Texas for the other slot.Glad for Don Mattingly of LA who had an outstanding career but left the Yanks in '95, just before they started winning.I usually root for underdogs at this point so I'm pulling for Pittsburgh and the Indians to get into the WS.

docstox12
docstox12
Wx Statistician Guru
Wx Statistician Guru

Back to top Go down

Post by nofoboater Thu Sep 26, 2013 3:53 pm

So true, pitching wins championships. And yes, that goes for me too. I like rooting for the underdog, especially from this Met's fan perspective, haha!

nofoboater

Back to top Go down

Post by sroc4 Thu Sep 26, 2013 4:13 pm

[/quote]I'm not a Yankee Fan but here is what I see.You will need to shell out 30 mil a year for many years to keep Cano.There goes a lot of that A roid cash.Just read Granderson is thinking of the free agent market as well.What about the pitching, Sabbathia on the decline and now no Pettite or Rivera.Jeter and Texiera rapidly aging and brittle.

Hope that farm club you talk about produces fast and good.[/quote]
Grumble grumble...With regards to the cash thing listen the yankees through the 80's and early 90's were horrid. Give credit where credit is due. George built an empire, an evil empire by some, but an empire none the less. He built his business, the yankees, into a multi billion dollar franchise. The Yanks werent worth that much when he first took over, he built it. Thats the American dream. Since 1996 the yanks were built around there young talant. Look at the core 4. Yes they have acquired some expensive FA over the years with their hard earned money, but they have also surrounded those expensive FA with some amazing utility players. And yes the end of an era that has lasted 117-18yrs or so is coming to a close. All good things come to an end. But with a storied franchise such as the Yankees you all know it wont be long till the Empire will Strike back. Muahhahhahahhahhahha!!!!!!!!!

sroc4
sroc4
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by docstox12 Thu Sep 26, 2013 5:08 pm

Yes, the Death Star and Evil Empire will surely return but right now the rest of the universe celebrates.Read an article the other day that you would like.The sportswriter says a healthy, vibrant Yankee Team is a must for baseball and the playoffs/series for the fact that many more fans will watch because they hate the Yankees and want to see them lose.It'll be interesting to see what the ratings are this year without them in.

And, yes, as an investor and former businessman, I totally admire and give credit to George Sr. for taking the almost worthless franchise and building it into a billion dollar powerhouse.Would love to see how he would be flaming A-Roid right now,LOL!

docstox12
docstox12
Wx Statistician Guru
Wx Statistician Guru

Back to top Go down

Post by nofoboater Fri Sep 27, 2013 6:57 am

Kano wants $300 million???? Crazy stuff.

nofoboater

Back to top Go down

Post by amugs Fri Sep 27, 2013 8:31 am

INSANE!!! For how long 10 years??Will the Yankees ante up or will he become go the Red Sox, Angels or Rangers - other cash cow clubs???

WINTER 2014-15 : 55.12" +.02 for 6 coatings (avg. 35")
WINTER 2015-16 Total - 29.8" (Avg 35")
WINTER 2016-17 : 39.5" so far
amugs
amugs

Back to top Go down

Post by nofoboater Fri Sep 27, 2013 8:40 am

Isn't Scott Boras his agent? I would like to have him negotiate some of my contracts for cripes sake. I would guess the Rangers. But not $300 million. He's 30. That's ridiculous.

nofoboater

Back to top Go down

Post by amugs Fri Sep 27, 2013 10:54 am

That jack ass (boras) - I hear you - our Teacher's union should pay that guy to come in and negotiate our deal too - he is notorious for the big bucks.

Question - who was the first player in baseball to get a million dollar a year contract?? I am trying to recall without googling it - question I posed to my buddies at lunch - we said Kirk Gibson, Nolan Ryan, one guy said Guidry?

amugs
amugs

Back to top Go down

Post by Frank_Wx Fri Sep 27, 2013 11:08 am

Actually, Cano's agent is Jay-Z. Not Boras.
Frank_Wx
Frank_Wx
Godzilla Seeker
Godzilla Seeker

http://njstrongweather.blogspot.com/

Back to top Go down

Post by sroc4 Fri Sep 27, 2013 11:49 am

amugs wrote:That jack ass (boras) - I hear you - our Teacher's union should pay  that guy to come in and negotiate our deal too - he is notorious for the big bucks.  

Question - who was the first player in baseball to get a million dollar a year contract?? I am trying to recall without googling it - question I posed to my buddies at lunch - we said Kirk Gibson, Nolan Ryan, one guy said Guidry?
Sorry Mugs I couldnt resist.  
On November 19, 1979, Nolan Ryan became the first player to sign a contract for more than a million dollars per year. Richard Moss, Ryan's agent, helped negotiate a 4-year, $4.5 million dollar contract for the future Hall of Famer, making him the highest paid player at the time.
Although most people would say the above answer is the official first one million dollar a year player, in actuality Pittsburgh Pirate Dave Parker was the first player to make one million dollars a year signing the contract a year prior to Nolan Ryan. The reason he isn't commonly cited as so is because the Pirates worded the contract in a way to make it look like he was making that much because they didn't want to be known as the first team to pay a player one million dollars a year

Source: http://wiki.answers.com/Q/Who_was_the_first_baseball_player_to_sign_a_one_million_dollar_contract

Another Source: http://www.baseball-almanac.com/firsts/first9.shtml

One more source confirming Nolan Ryan. Also a really cool read: http://sabr.org/research/baseball-s-major-salary-milestones

sroc4
sroc4
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by amugs Fri Sep 27, 2013 12:18 pm

sroc4 wrote:
amugs wrote:That jack ass (boras) - I hear you - our Teacher's union should pay  that guy to come in and negotiate our deal too - he is notorious for the big bucks.  

Sorry Mugs I couldnt resist.  
On November 19, 1979, Nolan Ryan became the first player to sign a contract for more than a million dollars per year. Richard Moss, Ryan's agent, helped negotiate a 4-year, $4.5 million dollar contract for the future Hall of Famer, making him the highest paid player at the time.
Although most people would say the above answer is the official first one million dollar a year player, in actuality Pittsburgh Pirate Dave Parker was the first player to make one million dollars a year signing the contract a year prior to Nolan Ryan. The reason he isn't commonly cited as so is because the Pirates worded the contract in a way to make it look like he was making that much because they didn't want to be known as the first team to pay a player one million dollars a year

Source: http://wiki.answers.com/Q/Who_was_the_first_baseball_player_to_sign_a_one_million_dollar_contract

Another Source: http://www.baseball-almanac.com/firsts/first9.shtml

One more source confirming Nolan Ryan.  Also a really cool read: http://sabr.org/research/baseball-s-major-salary-milestones
Holy snikes - this is awesome - we just discussed this at lunch 30 m inutes ago and another name that came up was George "The Animal" Foster. I stuck with Ryan though. Thanks for the info so it can be laid to rest - TGIF!!
amugs
amugs

Back to top Go down

Post by nofoboater Fri Sep 27, 2013 12:21 pm

I was just going to look it up, Nolan Ryan would have been my first guess. Nice trivia question.

nofoboater

Back to top Go down

Post by docstox12 Fri Sep 27, 2013 12:55 pm

amugs wrote:INSANE!!!  For how long 10 years??Will the Yankees ante up or will he become go the Red Sox, Angels or Rangers - other cash cow clubs???
Heh, that boy Cano is no fool, he has cards in spades! Yanks are in no position to let him walk and other teams with big bucks would love to have that bat of his.

Let the bidding begin! Gonna love watching what happens with him.
docstox12
docstox12
Wx Statistician Guru
Wx Statistician Guru

Back to top Go down

Post by nofoboater Fri Sep 27, 2013 12:57 pm

I don't know about that, they want to get under the cap.

nofoboater

Back to top Go down

Post by docstox12 Fri Sep 27, 2013 1:13 pm

nofoboater wrote:I don't know about that, they want to get under the cap.
If Tampa Bay, Boston or Baltimore expresses an interest, the Yanks will have more incentive to keep him.If he goes National League or AL Central or West, I'd agree with you.
docstox12
docstox12
Wx Statistician Guru
Wx Statistician Guru

Back to top Go down

Post by amugs Fri Sep 27, 2013 1:20 pm

Here's a good one from bucket boys:

What player played on a team in each of the four old divisions (A.L East, West. NL East, West - timeframe being 70’s and 80’s) and was an all-star on each of the teams??????????????

Don't look it up either!!!

amugs
amugs

Back to top Go down

Post by amugs Fri Sep 27, 2013 1:21 pm

Part 2 to the trivia question:

Can you name the teams?

Eddie Murray. Toronto mets ? And ?
amugs
amugs

Back to top Go down

Post by nofoboater Fri Sep 27, 2013 1:32 pm

man, I thought fishing would have been a fun way to spend the afternoon, instead we're talking about it and doing sports trivia, haha! I'll take a stab before I sign out for the day, Kirk Gibson?

nofoboater

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 7 of 14 Previous  1 ... 6, 7, 8 ... 10 ... 14  Next

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum