NJ Strong Weather Forum

Join the forum, it's quick and easy

NJ Strong Weather Forum
NJ Strong Weather Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Wx Banter Thread 2.0

+53
Snow88
JoeBx82
keliza52
mwilli5783
abayoumi21
down tines
Aerojet514
JackShephard
Scullybutcher
jake732
Sanchize06
Nyi1058
deadrabbit79
Sparky Sparticles
Taffy
SNOW MAN
nutleyblizzard
Bkdude
rb924119
Mathgod55
jimv45
devsman
Dtone
Vinnydula
GreyBeard
SoulSingMG
hyde345
dkodgis
Quietace
oldtimer
lglickman1
RJB8525
snow247
NjWeatherGuy
Snowfall
Abba701
amugs
weatherwatchermom
HectorO
skinsfan1177
sroc4
jmanley32
algae888
CPcantmeasuresnow
Grselig
Dunnzoo
Math23x7
billg315
docstox12
Radz
Frank_Wx
dad4twoboys
frank 638
57 posters

Page 12 of 40 Previous  1 ... 7 ... 11, 12, 13 ... 26 ... 40  Next

Go down

Wx Banter Thread 2.0 - Page 12 Empty Re: Wx Banter Thread 2.0

Post by docstox12 Mon Jan 18, 2016 5:40 pm

Grselig wrote:Here's my deal.  My dad died suddenly this Friday.   I really really really want a HECS on Fri night (not Thursday the day of the funeral).  Maybe he can help us out.

So sorry to hear about this Grselig.Peace be with you.

docstox12
Wx Statistician Guru
Wx Statistician Guru

Back to top Go down

Post by Grselig Mon Jan 18, 2016 6:38 pm

docstox12 wrote:
Grselig wrote:Here's my deal.  My dad died suddenly this Friday.   I really really really want a HECS on Fri night (not Thursday the day of the funeral).  Maybe he can help us out.

So sorry to hear about this Grselig.Peace be with you.

Thanks Doc. There will be peace. Just takes time.

But now we lost Glen Frey. very sad. So much loss in 1 week's time. Somebody I worked with a few years ago died as well on Friday. Young. Don't know what's happening.

Grselig
Senior Enthusiast
Senior Enthusiast

Back to top Go down

Post by Grselig Mon Jan 18, 2016 6:41 pm

Can't believe the current weather situation. A week ago winter was over. Now we have incredible potential with models trending stronger. Nice to see. "Just when i thought they pulled me back in"
Can't stop looking at there boards. so afraid of disappointment
Grselig
Grselig
Senior Enthusiast
Senior Enthusiast

Back to top Go down

Post by deadrabbit79 Mon Jan 18, 2016 8:08 pm

I will believe it Thursday night if it is still all in place at that point. Last year has scared me.

deadrabbit79

Back to top Go down

Post by amugs Mon Jan 18, 2016 8:11 pm

Did it Zoo great point - - times for the model runs - weather that is not the ones in the OTI thread - hahahaha!!

WINTER 2014-15 : 55.12" +.02 for 6 coatings (avg. 35")
WINTER 2015-16 Total - 29.8" (Avg 35")
WINTER 2016-17 : 39.5" so far
amugs
amugs
Advanced Forecaster - Mod

Back to top Go down

Post by sroc4 Mon Jan 18, 2016 8:17 pm

by LB3147 Today at 8:15 pm

.and the most sensitive blog known to man kind in the weather world wins again......good job mugs.....delete in any and all posts the mildly doubt the accuracy of this weekends snow event....hillarious....njstrongweather forum....aka USSR for small time weather enthusiasists

WINTER 2014/2015 TOTALS 71.20"WINTER 2019/2020 TOTALS 6.35"
WINTER 2015/2016 TOTALS 35.00"WINTER 2020/2021 TOTALS 37.75"
WINTER 2016/2017 TOTALS 42.25"WINTER 2021/2022 TOTALS 31.65" 
sroc4
sroc4
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by deadrabbit79 Mon Jan 18, 2016 8:31 pm

sroc4 wrote:by LB3147 Today at 8:15 pm

.and the most sensitive blog known to man kind in the weather world wins again......good job mugs.....delete in any and all posts the mildly doubt the accuracy of this weekends snow event....hillarious....njstrongweather forum....aka USSR for small time weather enthusiasists

agreed..what happened here?  its like it became a clique and if you are not one of the regulars or you dare inject some negativity or post bantor in the wrong thread you are scolded like a 5 year old.  it was never like that, And i never post, i am a sideline guy, i'm just reporting what i see

deadrabbit79

Back to top Go down

Post by Frank_Wx Mon Jan 18, 2016 9:17 pm

A friend reminded me I made this post last month. It's my interpretation of how people behave leading up to a storm.

Someone asked me what this weekend and next week will be like leading up to this possible storm. I had some ideas...

The GFS continues outputting a Roidzilla type storm each run. Twitter bursts into a frenzy with snowfall maps and references to historical blizzards such as 1996. TV Mets begin hinting of the possibility this weekend. Once the week starts, their tone changes from skepticism to acknowledgment this is actually possible. The EURO, CMC, NAVGEM, UKMET begin showing the same thing as the GFS. Weenies reach an extreme level of ween and start making snow maps for a storm still 7 days out. Soon, these snow maps go viral then Mets have to take the time to explain how the general public should not follow social media to track storms. We're within 5-6 days and the GFS loses the storm. People complain how awful the GFS is and that we should only follow the EURO. The same day, the EURO loses the storm. The weenies already wave the white flag. Some overdose on sleeping pills so they can wake up by next winter. Others Google where the nearest bridge is. 

We're now within 4 days and the EURO brings the storm back. There's a celebration among the masses. The TV Mets are officially hyping the crap out of the storm telling everyone it will rival Sandy. Home Depot turns into a circus and supermarkets to battelfields. The fight for the last loaf of bread always seems to be between two mom's who honestly have no clue what the F they're doing. They just need milk and bread. Seriously, why not nutella? Just a suggestion. The dads at Home Depot go for the cheapest snowblower there is. Unfortunately some are stuck purchasing the $5,000 one. If you're my Italian Nonna then you'll make sure to windex the hell out of it after the storm so you can return it back to Home Depot. 

Well, we're now within 3 days and the SREFS confirm a Roidzilla is coming. Some people are worried the spread is too far east and subsequent runs will push the storm out to sea. Others start reminiscing about Juno and how 2.0 may happen. Weenies attack those people as if they just kidnapped their child or took their winning PowerBall lottery ticket. The SREFS in the PM run have a spread closer to the coast and the Powerball winner is so happy he says the first weenie to make a snow map showing his backyard in the jackpot will get half his money. 

We're within 24 hours from this epic storm. The sky turns ominous and the air begins to smell like snow. No point in going to the supermarket unless you're looking for the soul you lost when you were there 2 days prior. At this point, weenies, enthusiasts, and Mets alike have slept 16 hours total in the last 6 days. Since family members know you're the weather nerd you receive endless emails and texts asking how much snow the area will get. 

Let's be honest, the morning of the storm rivals Christmas Day. Everyone is in their glory and - naturally - check the 06z to make sure nothing has changed that would require die hard fans to be rushed to the ER. 

And that's how the cookie will crumble.

CLICK HERE to view NJ Strong Snowstorm Classifications
Frank_Wx
Frank_Wx
Godzilla Seeker
Godzilla Seeker

http://njstrongweather.blogspot.com/

Back to top Go down

Post by Radz Mon Jan 18, 2016 9:53 pm

Well, since it seems we have a POTENTIAL to see something close to '96 as currently modeled, I thought i'd take a look back... btw, check out "finding #10" - http://www.nws.noaa.gov/om/assessments/pdfs/bz-mrg.pdf
Radz
Radz
Pro Enthusiast
Pro Enthusiast

Back to top Go down

Post by jmanley32 Mon Jan 18, 2016 10:13 pm

Banter for Banter....The banter in the thread or any negativity needs to stay here, it makes reading the thread much to long and its not factual, please to the new users great to have you but as someone who has learned over the past two years to seperate my emotional posts from ones that are in the real threads it has to happen. I know Frank, mugs, scroc, al etc all have a strict rule to not banter in serious threads and its for good reason so respect and all will be good. And btw this storm is going to be epic, any whining and I'll do whatever that thing was mugs or syo was talking about curse thing lol rant over : ) And there is no hostility in this I have a smile on my face.
jmanley32
jmanley32
Senior Enthusiast
Senior Enthusiast

Back to top Go down

Post by amugs Mon Jan 18, 2016 10:20 pm

Radz wrote:Well, since it seems we have a POTENTIAL to see something close  to '96 as currently modeled, I thought i'd take a look back... btw, check out "finding #10" - http://www.nws.noaa.gov/om/assessments/pdfs/bz-mrg.pdf

Radz this is awesome - brings back fond fond memories.

@ Jman thanks for the personal plug on the banter we try our best hereto keep things moving along especially with such a storm of this magnitude coming

amugs
amugs

Back to top Go down

Post by billg315 Mon Jan 18, 2016 10:25 pm

Frank_Wx wrote:A friend reminded me I made this post last month. It's my interpretation of how people behave leading up to a storm.

Someone asked me what this weekend and next week will be like leading up to this possible storm. I had some ideas...

The GFS continues outputting a Roidzilla type storm each run. Twitter bursts into a frenzy with snowfall maps and references to historical blizzards such as 1996. TV Mets begin hinting of the possibility this weekend. Once the week starts, their tone changes from skepticism to acknowledgment this is actually possible. The EURO, CMC, NAVGEM, UKMET begin showing the same thing as the GFS. Weenies reach an extreme level of ween and start making snow maps for a storm still 7 days out. Soon, these snow maps go viral then Mets have to take the time to explain how the general public should not follow social media to track storms. We're within 5-6 days and the GFS loses the storm. People complain how awful the GFS is and that we should only follow the EURO. The same day, the EURO loses the storm. The weenies already wave the white flag. Some overdose on sleeping pills so they can wake up by next winter. Others Google where the nearest bridge is. 

We're now within 4 days and the EURO brings the storm back. There's a celebration among the masses. The TV Mets are officially hyping the crap out of the storm telling everyone it will rival Sandy. Home Depot turns into a circus and supermarkets to battelfields. The fight for the last loaf of bread always seems to be between two mom's who honestly have no clue what the F they're doing. They just need milk and bread. Seriously, why not nutella? Just a suggestion. The dads at Home Depot go for the cheapest snowblower there is. Unfortunately some are stuck purchasing the $5,000 one. If you're my Italian Nonna then you'll make sure to windex the hell out of it after the storm so you can return it back to Home Depot. 

Well, we're now within 3 days and the SREFS confirm a Roidzilla is coming. Some people are worried the spread is too far east and subsequent runs will push the storm out to sea. Others start reminiscing about Juno and how 2.0 may happen. Weenies attack those people as if they just kidnapped their child or took their winning PowerBall lottery ticket. The SREFS in the PM run have a spread closer to the coast and the Powerball winner is so happy he says the first weenie to make a snow map showing his backyard in the jackpot will get half his money. 

We're within 24 hours from this epic storm. The sky turns ominous and the air begins to smell like snow. No point in going to the supermarket unless you're looking for the soul you lost when you were there 2 days prior. At this point, weenies, enthusiasts, and Mets alike have slept 16 hours total in the last 6 days. Since family members know you're the weather nerd you receive endless emails and texts asking how much snow the area will get. 

Let's be honest, the morning of the storm rivals Christmas Day. Everyone is in their glory and - naturally - check the 06z to make sure nothing has changed that would require die hard fans to be rushed to the ER. 

I remember this post well. And I think I'm going to buy Nutella Thursday night as an homage to Frank.
billg315
billg315

Back to top Go down

Post by CPcantmeasuresnow Mon Jan 18, 2016 10:50 pm

Sparky Sparticles wrote:
Taffy wrote:I'm sorry peeps, I should remember this by now. What are the requirements for a Godzilla, Roidzilla and lastly, the ever elusive Frankzilla?

Someone just posted this a few days ago:
6"-12" - MECS = Godzilla (Mild East Coast Storm)
12"-24" - HECS = Roidzilla (Heavy)
24+" = BECS = Frankzilla (Biblical)

Not quite right Sparky. Whoever posted this a few days ago is wrong.

For the last time please and everyone write this down and study because there will be a pop quiz.

6-11 inches is an SECS - significant east coast storm. There is no Zilla term for this, I might suggest Mothrazilla for those old time Godzilla fans, that know who Mothra is.

12-23 Godzilla or MECS - major east coast storm
24-35 Roidzilla or HECS - historic east coast storm
36 inches or up Frankzilla or BECS - Biblical east coast storm

Anyone that misuses one of these terms again will be banned from OTI for one year. And please don't ask what OTI is or you will be banned for life.

Reader alert - I do not have the authority to ban or suspend anyone, but on the OTI thread my powers are almost limitless.

TheConservancyCantMeasureSnow
Grand High Exalted Mystique Ruler.
CPcantmeasuresnow
CPcantmeasuresnow
Wx Statistician Guru
Wx Statistician Guru

Back to top Go down

Post by docstox12 Tue Jan 19, 2016 1:36 am

CPcantmeasuresnow wrote:
Sparky Sparticles wrote:
Taffy wrote:I'm sorry peeps, I should remember this by now. What are the requirements for a Godzilla, Roidzilla and lastly, the ever elusive Frankzilla?

For the last time please and everyone write this down and study because there will be a pop quiz.

6-11 inches is an SECS - significant east coast storm. There is no Zilla term for this, I might suggest Mothrazilla for those old time Godzilla fans, that know who Mothra is.

Anyone that misuses one of these terms again will be banned from OTI for one year. And please don't ask what OTI is or you will be banned for life.

Reader alert - I do not have the authority to ban or suspend anyone, but on the OTI thread my powers are almost limitless.

lol! lol! lol!

Mothrazilla.....classic!

docstox12
docstox12
Wx Statistician Guru
Wx Statistician Guru

Back to top Go down

Post by Sparky Sparticles Tue Jan 19, 2016 6:04 am

CPcantmeasuresnow wrote:

Mea culpa, mea culpa, mea maxima culpa. Forgive me, oh Grand High Exalted Mystique Ruler.

Yes, sir!

He of the tiny twins, and like Gamera, is a friend to children. Yes, he's well known in this family. Good choice.
Sparky Sparticles
Sparky Sparticles

Back to top Go down

Post by docstox12 Tue Jan 19, 2016 7:06 am

Frank_Wx wrote:A friend reminded me I made this post last month. It's my interpretation of how people behave leading up to a storm.

Frank, I am adding your thesis on Snow Derangement Syndrome to our data collection here at the OTI Sanitarium.Thanks for the help!!!!
docstox12
docstox12
Wx Statistician Guru
Wx Statistician Guru

Back to top Go down

Post by billg315 Tue Jan 19, 2016 7:40 am

A few fast thoughts after the late night/overnight model runs:
1. Waaaaay too early for people obsess over exact snowfall amounts. These will change back and forth, maybe by as much as several inches or a foot about 10 times between now and Friday night;
2. Three days ago people were calling winter over and last night I heard people being disappointed or concerned when a model shift showed them ONLY getting 8-10" of snow. In ANY winter 8-10" is a very good storm. In this winter it would be fantastic. If I get a 6-10" storm I will not be disappointed.
3. (Related to 2) My concern is with these 20-30" projections people will now be disappointed if we get 10". That's crazy. And unfortunate.
4. If I had to guess, this storm will not last 35-40 hours. My experience is these storms move more quickly than expected/modeled as they arrive and snow window narrows. If it does last more than 24 hours I'd expect a two-part storm with dry slotting and a break in the middle. And not heavy snow the whole time;
5. I do still see mixing issues at the coast which is too close by for me not to be concerned it could spread NW in 3 days of model runs. I wouldn't write just yet off the dreaded mid-storm sleet/rain/snow mix that cuts down on totals before the change back to all snow (except far N&W and HV where that seems really unlikely).
6. Likewise too early to write off a shift S&E which lowers totals in central/north NJ/NYC and blitzes DC/Balt/Philly.
7. Now that I've thrown those thoughts out there, I'll end on a more positive note. The models all look good right now (I include a 10" storm as looking "good"). I am very excited with what I see and feel good about where we are 3-plus days out. Just trying to keep a realistic view of things for now. :-)
billg315
billg315

Back to top Go down

Post by algae888 Tue Jan 19, 2016 8:55 am

billg315 wrote:A few fast thoughts after the late night/overnight model runs:
1. Waaaaay too early for people obsess over exact snowfall amounts. These will change back and forth, maybe by as much as several inches or a foot about 10 times between now and Friday night;
2. Three days ago people were calling winter over and last night I heard people being disappointed or concerned when a model shift showed them ONLY getting 8-10" of snow. In ANY winter 8-10" is a very good storm. In this winter it would be fantastic. If I get a 6-10" storm I will not be disappointed.
3. (Related to 2)  My concern is with these 20-30" projections people will now be disappointed if we get 10". That's crazy. And unfortunate.
4. If I had to guess, this storm will not last 35-40 hours. My experience is these storms move more quickly than expected/modeled as they arrive and snow window narrows. If it does last more than 24 hours I'd expect a two-part storm with dry slotting and a break in the middle. And not heavy snow the whole time;
5. I do still see mixing issues at the coast which is too close by for me not to be concerned it could spread NW in 3 days of model runs. I wouldn't write just yet off the dreaded mid-storm sleet/rain/snow mix that cuts down on totals before the change back to all snow (except far N&W and HV where that seems really unlikely).
6. Likewise too early to write off a shift S&E which lowers totals in central/north NJ/NYC and blitzes DC/Balt/Philly.
7. Now that I've thrown those thoughts out there, I'll end on a more positive note. The models all look good right now (I include a 10" storm as looking "good"). I am very excited with what I see and feel good about where we are 3-plus days out. Just trying to keep a realistic view of things for now. :-)
great write up. and then we will be on to the next one....
Wx Banter Thread 2.0 - Page 12 Gfs_mslp_pcpn_frzn_neus_39
Wx Banter Thread 2.0 - Page 12 Gfs_asnow_neus_41
2 storm totals

Last edited by algae888 on Tue Jan 19, 2016 8:57 am; edited 1 time in total
algae888
algae888
Advanced Forecaster
Advanced Forecaster

Back to top Go down

Post by Frank_Wx Tue Jan 19, 2016 8:57 am

CPcantmeasuresnow wrote:
Sparky Sparticles wrote:

THIS!!! WRITE IT DOWN PEOPLE!!!!

Frank_Wx
Frank_Wx
Godzilla Seeker
Godzilla Seeker

http://njstrongweather.blogspot.com/

Back to top Go down

Post by sroc4 Tue Jan 19, 2016 9:11 am

Frank_Wx wrote:
CPcantmeasuresnow wrote:
Sparky Sparticles wrote:

THIS!!! WRITE IT DOWN PEOPLE!!!!

I will pin this somewhere for future reference

WINTER 2014/2015 TOTALS 71.20"WINTER 2019/2020 TOTALS 6.35"
WINTER 2015/2016 TOTALS 35.00"WINTER 2020/2021 TOTALS 37.75"
WINTER 2016/2017 TOTALS 42.25"WINTER 2021/2022 TOTALS 31.65" 
sroc4
sroc4
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by amugs Tue Jan 19, 2016 9:50 am

Cp,

Love the powers of OTI!!!
Ya da man!!

Mugs

amugs
amugs

Back to top Go down

Post by Grselig Tue Jan 19, 2016 10:23 am

amugs wrote:Cp,

Love the powers of OTI!!!
Ya da man!!

Mugs

.OTI citizens demand a kind ruler. They do not tolerate thugs. They are calling the monarchy thugs.
They are also starving and malnourished from the lack of life sustaining fluffy stuff. If a Zilla does not happen there will be anarchy on OTI. Bloody good times with guillotines that would make the French Revolutionaries jealous. (and the good citizens are protesting for more than just a mere Godzilla.)

Look, don't ban me, oh Great and Kind King. I'm just sharing the news.

FYI, I've always been partial to King Kong V Godzilla. Any fairly intelligent and reasonable person should conclude that Godzilla should have won
Grselig
Grselig
Senior Enthusiast
Senior Enthusiast

Back to top Go down

Post by CPcantmeasuresnow Tue Jan 19, 2016 10:31 am

Gris.

That's ridiculous. King Kong was in much better shape, faster and flexible. If Giodzilla runs out of fire he's toast. No pun intended.

As for OTI I have always been against the monarchy but I also detest anarchy. There will be no revolutions on OTI with Sir Snow Man back in charge of security. I'd watch my step if I were you. His methods of cruelty make a day with ISIS look like a picnic in comparison.

Also we need to put these in the OTI thread. Emperor Frank has been very benevolent with us but I don't want to test his patience.
CPcantmeasuresnow
CPcantmeasuresnow
Wx Statistician Guru
Wx Statistician Guru

Back to top Go down

Post by jmanley32 Tue Jan 19, 2016 10:43 am

Anyone paid attention past this storm OMG! Huge coastal again at he 216-240, adds this much to 06z GFS, about 2 feet, to the 6z GFS, which was low with 10 inches around NYC. 240 35+ LOL

Wx Banter Thread 2.0 - Page 12 Gfs_6h16
jmanley32
jmanley32
Senior Enthusiast
Senior Enthusiast

Back to top Go down

Post by Grselig Tue Jan 19, 2016 10:51 am

CPcantmeasuresnow wrote:Gris.

That's ridiculous. King Kong was in much better shape, faster and flexible. If Giodzilla runs out of fire he's toast. No pun intended.

As for OTI I have always been against the monarchy but I also detest anarchy. There will be no revolutions on OTI with Sir Snow Man back in charge of security. I'd watch my step if I were you. His methods of cruelty make a day with ISIS look like a picnic in comparison.

Also we need to put these in the OTI thread. Emperor Frank has been very benevolent with us but I don't want to test his patience.

That's just foolish, Oh Great One, Sir. With all due respect, Godzilla has atomic fire breath. He will run out of nuclear powered breath well after Kong is dust. He can burn cities as an afterthought. He has a tail that can topple buildings. Kong is just a big ape.

The people of OTI are a peaceful kind. But know this and be warned. They have their limits. They enjoy cruelty. They worship Stalin. They actually invented water boarding. Indeed. Emperor Frank is a great Ruler. A supreme being teetering on Godhood. The Mighty Thor pales in comparison. As a good citizen I carry warnings. The people demand a ROIDzilla, or at least a FrankZilla. For the sake of peace and prosperity on OTI the good People hope that the Great Frank uses his awesome powers to produce such a monster.
Grselig
Grselig
Senior Enthusiast
Senior Enthusiast

Back to top Go down

Post by Grselig Tue Jan 19, 2016 11:16 am

CP - Thanks, I will post next in OTI thread!!!
Grselig
Grselig
Senior Enthusiast
Senior Enthusiast

Back to top Go down

Post by Frank_Wx Tue Jan 19, 2016 11:31 am

Wx Banter Thread 2.0 - Page 12 Xm07z

Frank_Wx
Frank_Wx
Godzilla Seeker