Wx Banter Thread 2.0

Page 28 of 41 Previous  1 ... 15 ... 27, 28, 29 ... 34 ... 41  Next

Go down

Re: Wx Banter Thread 2.0

Post by docstox12 on Sat Feb 03, 2018 6:00 am

CPcantmeasuresnow wrote:
syosnow94 wrote:
CPcantmeasuresnow wrote:
sroc4 wrote:
CPcantmeasuresnow wrote:Orange Countys ground hog Othelia, saw her shadow today and succumbed to a heart ailment about an hour ago.

According to folklore up here, if the ground hog dies the same day as seeing her shadow there will be 10 more weeks of an apocalyptic like winter. Massive blizzards and cold through mid April.

Lets hope the old legend is true, it's the first time it will be tested.

Is that blizzard centered around Orange County?  Because this may spell mixing/rain issues on the coast Evil or Very Mad

The same folklore states all of LI will join in the fun except an area centered around Syosett which I believe went by another name at the time (this legend dates from the mid 1700's). Amazing that they were that specific.

As a human being in 2018 in the USA I feel threatened.  You have triggered me and violated my weather safe space.  I’m going to find some other Syosset residents and we are going to march on Washington in protest.  Maybe even riot.  This is unacceptable.  I’d like to notify an administrator about this verbal assault.  Anyone know one?

I never mentioned anyone by name, I just referenced old folklore from the legend of Orange County Ophelia. Docs lived up here long enough, I'm sure he's heard the tale. Let's all just hope it's true.

Absolutely, CP, as a matter of fact, Othelia's home is a stones throw from mine and that story always hits the local paper come Groundhog Day!!
avatar
docstox12
Wx Statistician Guru
Wx Statistician Guru

Posts : 6133
Reputation : 95
Join date : 2013-01-07
Age : 67
Location : Monroe NY

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: Wx Banter Thread 2.0

Post by CPcantmeasuresnow on Sat Feb 03, 2018 7:07 am

Nice work Doc I'm going to pick up a copy of that paper today.

I did some research online last night and I found the old poem referencing the tale of our groundhog "Orange Othelia" or Orange County Othelia as we now refer to her. I won't bore everyone with the whole poem, I'll just post the part towards the end where it references what happens should the groundhog see her shadow and then die the same day. It's very clear that the winter will continue for 10 additional weeks and be quite harsh even by mid 1700's standards. The poem does also reference the small area in Long Island that will somehow escape winters wrath. Although not specifically named as a town historians have identified the area referenced as what is now the town of Syosett. I'm only reporting the facts.

Below are lines 111 through 126 of the tale of "Orange Othelia"

And if Othelia sees her shadow
And on the same day she dies
The snows will get deeper
Than a tall mans thighs
The cold shall remain
Until the Ides of April
The sap will then freeze
On the trees that have maple
To flee to Long Island
Will not help at all
Except near the center
Where no snow will fall
It will be as a haven
Where it only will rain
While the rest of the Island
Suffers winters worst pain


Last edited by CPcantmeasuresnow on Sat Feb 03, 2018 7:32 am; edited 3 times in total
avatar
CPcantmeasuresnow
Wx Statistician Guru
Wx Statistician Guru

Posts : 5801
Reputation : 133
Join date : 2013-01-07
Age : 56
Location : Eastern Orange County, NY - OTI Sector 4

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: Wx Banter Thread 2.0

Post by docstox12 on Sat Feb 03, 2018 7:11 am

CPcantmeasuresnow wrote:Nice work Doc I'm going to pick up a copy of that paper today.

I did some research online last night and I found the old poem relating the tale of our groundhog "Orange Othelia" or Orange County Othelia as we now refer to her. I won't bore everyone with the whole poem, I'll just post the part towards the end where it references what happens should the groundhog see her shadow and then die the same day. It's very clear that the winter will continue for 10 additional weeks and be quite harsh even by mid 1700's standards. The poem does also reference the small area in Long Island that will somehow escape winters wrath. Although not specifically named as a town historians have identified the area referenced as what is now the town of Syosett. I'm only reporting the facts.

Below are lines 111 through 126 of the tale or "Orange Othelia"

And if Ophelia sees her shadow
And on the same day she dies
The snows will get deeper
Than a tall mans thighs
The cold shall remain
Until the Ides of April
The sap will then freeze
On the trees that have maple
To flee to Long Island
Will not help at all
Except near the center
Where no snow will fall
It will be as a haven
Where it only will rain
While the rest of the Island
Suffers winters worst pain


lol! lol! lol! lol! lol! lol! lol!
avatar
docstox12
Wx Statistician Guru
Wx Statistician Guru

Posts : 6133
Reputation : 95
Join date : 2013-01-07
Age : 67
Location : Monroe NY

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: Wx Banter Thread 2.0

Post by amugs on Sat Feb 03, 2018 8:44 am

CP you are holarioud!!
If the PV splits as forecasted later Feb you may see snow through late March whilst LI sucks wet not white and then you my friend shall have revenge.


Last edited by amugs on Sat Feb 03, 2018 10:30 am; edited 1 time in total

_________________
Mugs 
AKA:King: Snow Weenie
Self Proclaimed
WINTER 2014-15 : 55.12" +.02 for 6 coatings (avg. 35")
WINTER 2015-16 Total - 29.8" (Avg 35")
WINTER 2016-17 : 39.5" so far
avatar
amugs
Advanced Forecaster - Mod
Advanced Forecaster - Mod

Posts : 9519
Reputation : 106
Join date : 2013-01-07
Age : 48
Location : Hillsdale,NJ

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: Wx Banter Thread 2.0

Post by syosnow94 on Sat Feb 03, 2018 8:47 am

CP. this is one of the best things I’ve ever read period. I love you crazy freak show. There’s definitely something wrong with you but it’s phenomenal. I wanna have a beer with you even more now.
avatar
syosnow94
Senior Enthusiast
Senior Enthusiast

Posts : 3573
Reputation : 129
Join date : 2014-11-24
Age : 46
Location : OTI DIRECTOR OF MENTAL HEALTH

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: Wx Banter Thread 2.0

Post by Grselig on Sat Feb 03, 2018 8:52 am

Incredibly awesome research!!!!! But how did OC Othelia truly perish. Was there an autopsy? The poor beast could have been poisoned by a dastardly dude with a twirling mustache. Does Nostradamous have anything to say about the 18th winter of the 2000th year when the Goundhog of the red yellow county of York New passed by decay of the blood pumping organ. I truly hope the wondrous poem only foretells mighty snow for the counties of Bergen and Passaic NJ as well.
avatar
Grselig
Pro Enthusiast
Pro Enthusiast

Posts : 854
Reputation : 56
Join date : 2013-03-04
Age : 48
Location : Wayne NJ

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: Wx Banter Thread 2.0

Post by sroc4 on Sat Feb 03, 2018 8:57 am

I'm peeing myself over here Cp. lol!

_________________
"Go hug a human, not a weather model"
“Optimism is great, but cautious optimism is more realistic”
WINTER 2012/2013 SNOW TOTALS 43.65"
WINTER 2013/2014 SNOW TOTALS 64.85"
WINTER 2014/2015 SNOW TOTALS 71.20"
WINTER 2015/2016 SNOW TOTALS  35.00"
WINTER 2016/2017 SNOW TOTALS 42.25"
WINTER 2017/2018 SNOW TOTALS 62.85"
Dec 09th 2.75" (prev year's first snowfall Dec 11th coating)
Dec 14th 2.5"
Dec 15th 2.8"
Dec 30th 2.0"
Jan 4th 12"
Jan 29th-30th* 7.8"
March 7th-8th 9.2"
March 12th-13th 6"
March 20th-22nd 11.8"
April 2nd 6"
avatar
sroc4
Admin
Admin

Posts : 5682
Reputation : 169
Join date : 2013-01-07
Location : Wading River, LI

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: Wx Banter Thread 2.0

Post by dkodgis on Sat Feb 03, 2018 10:36 am

Sounds like all interested parties should do a get together, maybe in a pub in Warwick or Goshen, and may CP favor us with a dramatic reading.
avatar
dkodgis
Pro Enthusiast
Pro Enthusiast

Posts : 586
Reputation : 33
Join date : 2013-12-29

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: Wx Banter Thread 2.0

Post by syosnow94 on Sat Feb 03, 2018 2:25 pm

dkodgis wrote:Sounds like all interested parties should do a get together,  maybe in a pub in Warwick or Goshen, and may CP favor us with a dramatic reading.

I’m in
avatar
syosnow94
Senior Enthusiast
Senior Enthusiast

Posts : 3573
Reputation : 129
Join date : 2014-11-24
Age : 46
Location : OTI DIRECTOR OF MENTAL HEALTH

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: Wx Banter Thread 2.0

Post by CPcantmeasuresnow on Sun Feb 04, 2018 10:29 am

I'm glad you all enjoyed the tale of Orange County Othelia, the research did seem to payoff.

Many interesting comments were left. The tale does sound Nostradamus like in parts with that I agree. I also agree that N & W get together is long overdue, Goshen or Monroe sounds like a good center area and we should try to make it happen this year.

I thought Syos best captured the true me with the quote "There's definitely something wrong with you" with that I wholeheartedly agree. And not meant as an insult but I would include most of us in that description, but as Syos stated not in a bad way. When Docstox leaves the laughing emoji with no comments you know you hit the spot, also good to know Mugs and Sroc enjoyed the tale.

I would like to dedicate the tale of Orange Othelia to my good friend and founding father of OTI SNOWMAN, who as some of us know has been going through a very tough year, hopefully it brought him a smile or two.

We're still thinking of you SNOWMAN, hope things are improving. If there is a N & W get together you will be the person of honor.
avatar
CPcantmeasuresnow
Wx Statistician Guru
Wx Statistician Guru

Posts : 5801
Reputation : 133
Join date : 2013-01-07
Age : 56
Location : Eastern Orange County, NY - OTI Sector 4

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: Wx Banter Thread 2.0

Post by amugs on Sun Feb 04, 2018 10:48 am

CP the three toof trio of CP, DOC and SNOWMAN!! Would.make the trip if if I can and bring Zoo along so we don't accused of being sexist LOL!!

_________________
Mugs 
AKA:King: Snow Weenie
Self Proclaimed
WINTER 2014-15 : 55.12" +.02 for 6 coatings (avg. 35")
WINTER 2015-16 Total - 29.8" (Avg 35")
WINTER 2016-17 : 39.5" so far
avatar
amugs
Advanced Forecaster - Mod
Advanced Forecaster - Mod

Posts : 9519
Reputation : 106
Join date : 2013-01-07
Age : 48
Location : Hillsdale,NJ

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: Wx Banter Thread 2.0

Post by syosnow94 on Sun Feb 04, 2018 12:39 pm

amugs wrote:CP the three toof trio of CP, DOC and SNOWMAN!! Would.make the trip if if I can and bring Zoo along so we don't accused of being sexist LOL!!

I’m in as well
avatar
syosnow94
Senior Enthusiast
Senior Enthusiast

Posts : 3573
Reputation : 129
Join date : 2014-11-24
Age : 46
Location : OTI DIRECTOR OF MENTAL HEALTH

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: Wx Banter Thread 2.0

Post by aiannone on Sun Feb 04, 2018 1:59 pm

Euro:

avatar
aiannone
Advanced Forecaster
Advanced Forecaster

Posts : 3532
Reputation : 66
Join date : 2013-01-07
Location : Saint James, LI (Northwest Suffolk Co.)

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: Wx Banter Thread 2.0

Post by algae888 on Sun Feb 04, 2018 2:05 pm

aiannone wrote:Euro:

alex another 50 mile tick south and we are all in the game for a warning event snow.
avatar
algae888
Advanced Forecaster
Advanced Forecaster

Posts : 4668
Reputation : 25
Join date : 2013-02-05
Age : 56
Location : mt. vernon, new york

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: Wx Banter Thread 2.0

Post by Dunnzoo on Sun Feb 04, 2018 8:00 pm

amugs wrote:CP the three toof trio of CP, DOC and SNOWMAN!! Would.make the trip if if I can and bring Zoo along so we don't accused of being sexist LOL!!

Gee thanks mugs! I'm in! Let's do this!

_________________
Janet


Snowfall winter of 2017-2018       50.15"

Snowfall winter of 2016-2017      45.6"
Snowfall winter of 2015-2016     29.5"
Snowfall winter of 2014-2015     50.55"
Snowfall winter of 2013-2014  66.5"
avatar
Dunnzoo
Senior Enthusiast - Mod
Senior Enthusiast - Mod

Posts : 3656
Reputation : 37
Join date : 2013-01-11
Age : 56
Location : Westwood, NJ

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: Wx Banter Thread 2.0

Post by sroc4 on Sun Feb 04, 2018 10:35 pm

I hate the Eagles. That is all.

_________________
"Go hug a human, not a weather model"
“Optimism is great, but cautious optimism is more realistic”
WINTER 2012/2013 SNOW TOTALS 43.65"
WINTER 2013/2014 SNOW TOTALS 64.85"
WINTER 2014/2015 SNOW TOTALS 71.20"
WINTER 2015/2016 SNOW TOTALS  35.00"
WINTER 2016/2017 SNOW TOTALS 42.25"
WINTER 2017/2018 SNOW TOTALS 62.85"
Dec 09th 2.75" (prev year's first snowfall Dec 11th coating)
Dec 14th 2.5"
Dec 15th 2.8"
Dec 30th 2.0"
Jan 4th 12"
Jan 29th-30th* 7.8"
March 7th-8th 9.2"
March 12th-13th 6"
March 20th-22nd 11.8"
April 2nd 6"
avatar
sroc4
Admin
Admin

Posts : 5682
Reputation : 169
Join date : 2013-01-07
Location : Wading River, LI

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: Wx Banter Thread 2.0

Post by CPcantmeasuresnow on Sun Feb 04, 2018 11:51 pm

Didn't want the Pats to win again but no love for the Eagles. Good game but with both teams hated as they are tempered joy in the outcome.

31.8 and raining, no joy in that.
avatar
CPcantmeasuresnow
Wx Statistician Guru
Wx Statistician Guru

Posts : 5801
Reputation : 133
Join date : 2013-01-07
Age : 56
Location : Eastern Orange County, NY - OTI Sector 4

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: Wx Banter Thread 2.0

Post by Frank_Wx on Mon Feb 05, 2018 8:22 am

CP I can count on your to give me a laugh in the morning before I start my day at work. Thank you

_________________
Snow Accumulation Archive - Cranford, NJ
2013-2014: 62.1"
2014-2015: 56.0"
2015-2016: 34.0"
2016-2017: 31.5"
2017-2018: 35"

________________________________________________________________________________________________________
CLICK HERE to view NJ Strong Snowstorm Classifications
avatar
Frank_Wx
Godzilla Seeker
Godzilla Seeker

Posts : 18185
Reputation : 245
Join date : 2013-01-05
Age : 26
Location : Cranford, NJ

View user profile http://njstrongweather.blogspot.com/

Back to top Go down

Re: Wx Banter Thread 2.0

Post by syosnow94 on Mon Feb 05, 2018 8:40 am

Frank_Wx wrote:CP I can count on your to give me a laugh in the morning before I start my day at work. Thank you

.....and I can count on your posts and scrolls to make me cry. Thanks a lot. It’s better when you don’t post anything. Wink
avatar
syosnow94
Senior Enthusiast
Senior Enthusiast

Posts : 3573
Reputation : 129
Join date : 2014-11-24
Age : 46
Location : OTI DIRECTOR OF MENTAL HEALTH

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: Wx Banter Thread 2.0

Post by docstox12 on Mon Feb 05, 2018 2:28 pm

CPcantmeasuresnow wrote:I'm glad you all enjoyed the tale of Orange County Othelia, the research did seem to payoff.

Many interesting comments were left. The tale does sound Nostradamus like in parts with that I agree. I also agree that N & W get together is long overdue, Goshen or Monroe sounds like a good center area and we should try to make it happen this year.

I thought Syos best captured the true me with the quote "There's definitely something wrong with you" with that I wholeheartedly agree. And not meant as an insult but I would include most of us in that description, but as Syos stated not in a bad way. When Docstox leaves the laughing emoji with no comments you know you hit the spot, also good to know Mugs and Sroc enjoyed the tale.

I would like to dedicate the tale of Orange Othelia to my good friend and founding father of OTI SNOWMAN, who as some of us know has been going through a very tough year, hopefully it brought him a smile or two.

We're still thinking of you SNOWMAN, hope things are improving. If there is a N & W get together you will be the person of honor.

Count me IN IN iN on that N and W wingding get together!!!!
CP, I'm right with you there Buddy in the "there's something wrong with you" category.What 67 year old man with a 57 year snowaoholic addiction frequents a weather board at all hours of the day and night creating an imaginary Island and heading it's Sanitarium! Cue the sound of the cuckoo clock.One thing I know for sure, if we do this get together, I'm gonna laugh my arse off with you folks!
avatar
docstox12
Wx Statistician Guru
Wx Statistician Guru

Posts : 6133
Reputation : 95
Join date : 2013-01-07
Age : 67
Location : Monroe NY

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: Wx Banter Thread 2.0

Post by HectorO on Mon Feb 05, 2018 5:14 pm

docstox12 wrote:
CPcantmeasuresnow wrote:I'm glad you all enjoyed the tale of Orange County Othelia, the research did seem to payoff.

Many interesting comments were left. The tale does sound Nostradamus like in parts with that I agree. I also agree that N & W get together is long overdue, Goshen or Monroe sounds like a good center area and we should try to make it happen this year.

I thought Syos best captured the true me with the quote "There's definitely something wrong with you" with that I wholeheartedly agree. And not meant as an insult but I would include most of us in that description, but as Syos stated not in a bad way. When Docstox leaves the laughing emoji with no comments you know you hit the spot, also good to know Mugs and Sroc enjoyed the tale.

I would like to dedicate the tale of Orange Othelia to my good friend and founding father of OTI SNOWMAN, who as some of us know has been going through a very tough year, hopefully it brought him a smile or two.

We're still thinking of you SNOWMAN, hope things are improving. If there is a N & W get together you will be the person of honor.

Count me IN IN iN on that N and W wingding get together!!!!
CP, I'm right with you there Buddy in the "there's something wrong with you" category.What 67 year old man with a 57 year snowaoholic addiction frequents a weather board at all hours of the day and night creating an imaginary Island and heading it's Sanitarium! Cue the sound of the cuckoo clock.One thing I know for sure, if we do this get together, I'm gonna laugh my arse off with you folks!

About to throw the towel in! https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TfAYz6p-mlw
avatar
HectorO
Pro Enthusiast
Pro Enthusiast

Posts : 725
Reputation : 1
Join date : 2013-01-11

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: Wx Banter Thread 2.0

Post by Frank_Wx on Mon Feb 05, 2018 6:25 pm

syosnow94 wrote:
Frank_Wx wrote:CP I can count on your to give me a laugh in the morning before I start my day at work. Thank you

.....and I can count on your posts and scrolls to make me cry.  Thanks a lot.  It’s better when you don’t post anything. Wink

I'm not very fond of this winter. Very cold but not much snow to show for it.

_________________
Snow Accumulation Archive - Cranford, NJ
2013-2014: 62.1"
2014-2015: 56.0"
2015-2016: 34.0"
2016-2017: 31.5"
2017-2018: 35"

________________________________________________________________________________________________________
CLICK HERE to view NJ Strong Snowstorm Classifications
avatar
Frank_Wx
Godzilla Seeker
Godzilla Seeker

Posts : 18185
Reputation : 245
Join date : 2013-01-05
Age : 26
Location : Cranford, NJ

View user profile http://njstrongweather.blogspot.com/

Back to top Go down

Re: Wx Banter Thread 2.0

Post by nutleyblizzard on Mon Feb 05, 2018 7:53 pm

Frank_Wx wrote:
syosnow94 wrote:
Frank_Wx wrote:CP I can count on your to give me a laugh in the morning before I start my day at work. Thank you

.....and I can count on your posts and scrolls to make me cry.  Thanks a lot.  It’s better when you don’t post anything. Wink

I'm not very fond of this winter. Very cold but not much snow to show for it.
Yup. I'm getting tired of these nickel and dime events too Frank. Having a Nina without Atlantic blocking is the culprit. Maybe we get lucky later this month with a -NAO and a well timed shortwave. Other than that I'm already looking forward to next winter without that damn Nina.
avatar
nutleyblizzard
Senior Enthusiast
Senior Enthusiast

Posts : 1408
Reputation : 31
Join date : 2014-01-30
Age : 52
Location : Nutley, new jersey

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: Wx Banter Thread 2.0

Post by HectorO on Mon Feb 05, 2018 9:16 pm

nutleyblizzard wrote:
Frank_Wx wrote:
syosnow94 wrote:
Frank_Wx wrote:CP I can count on your to give me a laugh in the morning before I start my day at work. Thank you

.....and I can count on your posts and scrolls to make me cry.  Thanks a lot.  It’s better when you don’t post anything. Wink

I'm not very fond of this winter. Very cold but not much snow to show for it.
Yup. I'm getting tired of these nickel and dime events too Frank. Having a Nina without Atlantic blocking is the culprit. Maybe we get lucky later this month with a -NAO and a well timed shortwave. Other than that I'm already looking forward to next winter without that damn Nina.

It seems on this board you'll hear people say they like Nina and next they hate it. Goes for El Nino too. In the beginning of the year people were excited about having La Nina, stating that they hate and don't want anymore El Nino.
avatar
HectorO
Pro Enthusiast
Pro Enthusiast

Posts : 725
Reputation : 1
Join date : 2013-01-11

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: Wx Banter Thread 2.0

Post by sroc4 on Mon Feb 05, 2018 10:18 pm

This board?  What the hell kind of comment is that Hector?What are you even talking about?  What people? In any ENSO state you will find situations where the state of the ENSO helps and hurts esp in extremes. It’s always the sum of all the moving parts. This board is where you find next to none of the BS you just posted. Take BS comments like this to another forum; Stir the pot somewhere else.

_________________
"Go hug a human, not a weather model"
“Optimism is great, but cautious optimism is more realistic”
WINTER 2012/2013 SNOW TOTALS 43.65"
WINTER 2013/2014 SNOW TOTALS 64.85"
WINTER 2014/2015 SNOW TOTALS 71.20"
WINTER 2015/2016 SNOW TOTALS  35.00"
WINTER 2016/2017 SNOW TOTALS 42.25"
WINTER 2017/2018 SNOW TOTALS 62.85"
Dec 09th 2.75" (prev year's first snowfall Dec 11th coating)
Dec 14th 2.5"
Dec 15th 2.8"
Dec 30th 2.0"
Jan 4th 12"
Jan 29th-30th* 7.8"
March 7th-8th 9.2"
March 12th-13th 6"
March 20th-22nd 11.8"
April 2nd 6"
avatar
sroc4
Admin
Admin

Posts : 5682
Reputation : 169
Join date : 2013-01-07
Location : Wading River, LI

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: Wx Banter Thread 2.0

Post by Sponsored content


Sponsored content


Back to top Go down

Page 28 of 41 Previous  1 ... 15 ... 27, 28, 29 ... 34 ... 41  Next

Back to top

- Similar topics

 
Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum